Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    BY, I like your color, and thanks for the pictures. I believe the Indigo Blue color may prove to be the "sleeper" color for this vehicle. Not an obvious choice, but one that works well in the flesh. I've noted others have commented favorably about it regardless of their feelings for the rest of the vehicle.

CWJ
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Reference my prior message about the 5.25% lease rate on a CXL with option Z17, it appears that I was wrong about the Z17 option being Storm Grey Lower Cladding. I was looking over my paperwork today and noticed that Z17 is in fact the code for "CXL PKG *contents listed in STD Equipment."

I'm sure the difference between 5.50% and 5.25% is very small, but I thought I should let you in on my observation before you go pick up your RDV.
  • Options
    boondocksboondocks Member Posts: 57
    35 and 28, with kids 3.5 and and 1.5. But then, I bought an Olds at age 25, so what does that say?
  • Options
    megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    I know this car is new, but havent seen any on the roads yet and i usually see lots of new cars once they hit the dealer showrooms. I cant imagine there being lots of space in the third row. I feel sorry for the Rendezvous because it has to share a platform with the Aztec. Buick should have gotten a bigger platform like the Trailblazer/envoy/bravada or even bigger like the Tahoe/Yukon.
  • Options
    Interesting observation...uninformed, but interesting.

Don't apologize to the RDV about it's cousin the Aztek, the Aztek has proven to be one of the most trouble free new vehicles to come from GM in recent memory. Aztek owners rave about it and continue to sing it's praises. The RDV is undoubtably proud of it's heritage.

GM already has a vehicle with a bigger platform like the Tahoe/Yukon...it's called the Tahoe/Yukon. The RDV on the other hand, is the first true 7 passenger "crossover" vehicle for GM and fits into this new and upcoming niche quite nicely, thank you.
  • Options
    Read his profile. His altruistic mission is to "help some of you suv people either with questions or whatever." Since he owns a 2001 MB S600 (for his wife), a 2000 Lincoln navigator, a 1996 MB Gelaendewagen, and a 1984 Ferrari, and in the recent past has owned land rovers and a hummer, and is looking to get into a Caddie Escalade, Porsche 911 turbo, or MB CL600, I think its obvious that we're in the presence of someone with superior vehicular instincts.

I can only gasp a hurried thank you to his willingness to instruct the rest of us. If he says sharing a platform with the Aztec is bad, then surely it must be so even though he's never actually seen a Rendezvous much less driven one.

Mega, please share your third seat wisdom with the Acura MDX topic as well since that vehicle has even less space behind the front two rows than the Rendezvous.

CWJ

P.S. Not only do I believe Mega's profile, I also believe in the Easter Bunny and that Oswald acted alone.
  • Options
    I am humbled. I thought to add a witty corollary to your riposte, only to find that it could not be done. Nicely executed.
  • Options
    bymclaughbymclaugh Member Posts: 103
    Just FYI, I fixed our web page so that it now works with Netscape 4.7. It seems as though the program I used to automaically generate the web page also conveniently automatically generated an error in the code. But now that I'm on a computer with Netscape 4.7, I was able to verify the fix. So, if the host wants to delete the message with all the pics in it to save some space, you can now view them at:

http://www.mclaugh.com/rdv/rdv.htm

or

http://www.mclaugh.com/RDV/RDV.htm

Let me know if you have any more problems...

BY

• Options
    proteus456proteus456 Member Posts: 65
    Greetings. I've been comparing the Rdv to the Mercedes ML320, and the Acura MDX. (Also tried 2002 Ford Exploder, but it looked and drove like a POS). I liked the rdv a lot when I drove it, and the quality seemed much better than typical GM cars I've seen. My main question is safety...are there any crash test results available?
  • Options
    mmeehanmmeehan Member Posts: 66
    We finally ordered our CX this past weekend and paid about $800 over invoice. The first dealer wanted us to pay about $2000 over invoice. WE ended up ordering Indigo Blue with the 1SD package (only because you couldn't order the all-leather option with any of the lesser packages, and since Buick STILL has not published a price for the leather on the CX, the dealership charged us $750 for it, if it's more they'll eat the difference if it's less they'll refund us the difference). We were a little dissapointed in this because it really didn't allow us to negotiate from invoice since we didn't know the invoice price, so we probably only would have ended up spending $500 over invoice if this hadn't been an issue. Anyway, in addition to the 1SD and all-leather we got a sunroof, 6-CD changer (no cassette by the way), and we had to order the third row seat as an extra option because it doesn't come with the 1SD package (crazy). We also made sure to specify that we didn't want Firestone tires because these are the tires that come standard (at least on the CX). If you don't request the change they'll come with Firestones. We ended up paying 29,145 and invoice was 28,286, MSRP would have been 31,370. We were also told 6-8 weeks before it'll arrive.

BYM - Thanks for the photos, I think the Indigo is the nicest color, really looks great with the gray. As a side note, I noticed when I was out test driving that the Avg. MPG was only running at between 11-13 MPG. How has your gas mileage been?
  • Options
    Congratulations on your RDV. I think the INDIGO BLUE may turn out to be the sleeper hit colour...it does look nicer than literature shows.

Hopefully we will all soon start taking delivery and we can become an owners forum instead of a dreamers forum.

Brian
  • Options
    Sounds like you put together a very nice vehicle, and for those wanting leather it's great that you can now get it on a CX. That should take care of any lingering price point problems. I imagine that Buick will be able to move a lot of these vehicles if the price conscious group can get them extensively optioned near or even below $30K. Like I said a few posts back, Indigo Blue may be the sleeper color for this vehicle, if you go the gray trim route. I'm just hoping that the Sedona Bronze proves to look as nice for those of us going the bronze/oak route.

Hey Brian, no fair slipping in ahead of me, much less using my "sleeper" imagery. Where's my copyright attorney when I need him? Insert smiley wink face here.

CWJ
  • Options
    No crash tests yet that I know of. The closest thing to a comparable vehicle would be the Pontiac Aztec. That one did so so in the crash test department. Some good, some not so good star ratings. For my money, reaction to the Aztec tests has been either glass half full or half empty depending on whether the author has looked to praise or criticize the vehicle.

CWJ
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Pictures work great now!

Still no real ones at the local lot this morning. :-(
  • Options
    The last time I checked our RDV was getting 19.2 mpg and that's after 1,500 miles. When we first picked it up it was getting around 11 to 13, but I'm still hoping that it goes up some more as time goes on, but the wife can be a bit of a lead foot so that might keep it down a bit. And FYI, she drives freeway most of the time to and from work, and we do have the CXL with the AWD, so our MPG will probably be a bit lower than the non-AWD models.

BTW, congrats mmeehan! That's great news that you got yours ordered! And I think you'll be quite happy with the color, as we really like it. And we really like the vehicle overall, I think even more now than when we first got it. We took the In-laws for a ride in it on Saturday, and they both really liked it. My Mother-In-Law has some knee problems and can have trouble getting into higher vehicles like SUVs, but she had no problem getting in and out of the RDV.

Congrats again!

BY
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    As CWJ mentioned above, the Buick Rendezvous is identical structurally to the Pontiac Aztek. The only crash tests that have been done on the Aztek are the 35 mph NHTSA full width frontal and 30mph side impact crash tests. Results can be seen here:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1717.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1733.html

As for the M-class, only the MY1998 ML320 was tested (link to the result below). Several structural changes (to further improve the already good results) were made to the M-class for MY1999, and again for MY2000. The M-class has also gained over a couple of hundred pounds since MY1998, and that should help in a collision with a lighter vehicle.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/685.html

Since the Buick Rendezvous and Pontiac Aztek are based on the GM minivan platform (but shortened), I thought that these IIHS 40mph front offset crash test results may also be of interest to you:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm

The NHTSA full width frontal crash test emphasises the effectiveness of the vehicle's restraints systems, whereas the IIHS offset crash test emphasises the effectiveness of the vehicle's structure and crumple zones, and the strength of the safety cage.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Your photo page works fine now for me too, as expected. Thanks for making the changes!
  • Options
    while its true that the Aztek is built on a shortened GM minivan platform, I'm not sure that's true for the Rendezvous. Isn't the Rendezvous' 112" wheelbase the same as the base (i.e.: not extended) Montana and Venture minivans?

CWJ
  • Options
    lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    The dreaded "crash test results" has been brought up.

Hate to do this to a host but you are wrong to make any comparisons to the U-Van. Absolutely no data can be transferred between the Rendezvous / Aztek and the Transport. And since the dashboards of Rendezvous and Aztek are different, little data can transfer between those vehicles. GM can't use one test to certify a vehicle line, how can you? GM runs a barrier test on the average of one a day, you're using results from a four year old test on one Transport. A platform is not a part of a vehicle. It is more of the ability of a car company to control costs by using common tooling for different vehicles.

The last time this subject came up on the Aztek board it went nowhere. I was of the opinion that some people were accusing me and other owners of putting my/their family in danger. Don't go there. And since you care to make the assumption that data can be crossed, please list the common parts between the vehicles. Very few and none that would affect the safety of the passengers.

Please drop this subject.
  • Options
    CWJ, by shortened, I think the places where I read this mean that the front and the back of the vehicles are chopped off and shorter than the minivans. Makes sense, no? The Aztek and the Rendezvous are the definitely the same platform, but they just look different; think along the lines of Pontiac Montana vs. Chevy Venture.

lbthedog, while it is true that the dashboards are different, the platform (i.e. the structures) are similar. Look at the Pontiac Grand Am and the Olds Alero, or even the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute. The exteriors and the interiors look different, but the main elements are still the same. There is definitely more than meets the eye. BTW to answer your question, in order to comply with the US NCAP, only one car (if it has sister cars based on a similar platform) need to be crash tested.

I most certainly agree with you that you cannot do a direct comparison on the GM minivan vs. the Aztek/Rendezvous. Only a test on the actual vehicle itself can do that. However if you look at vehicles that are built on the same platform (ex. the Toyota Camry and the Toyota Avalon; the Avalon being built on a lengthened Camry platform), the IIHS crash test results of both of those vehicles are very much the same, right down to the slightly tilting of the driver's seat towards the B-pillar on both the Avalon and the Camry. This is which is why you can get some sort of implication from the results.

BTW, the reason why the IIHS has not retested the GM minivans is because there have been no structural changes since 1997, when the van made its debut. The Euro NCAP also conducted a similar crash test on the Opel Sintra (same GM van, different name) and came up with similar crash test results as the IIHS.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    In your rush to equate the Aztek and Rendezvous you've made a serious error in assuming they are the same size. They are not. The Rendezvous is six inches longer than the Aztek in length and four inches longer than the Aztek in wheelbase. This makes the Aztek a shortened version as you say, but NOT the Rendezvous. The Rendezvous is nearly identical in BOTH length and wheelbase to the standard length Montana and Venture. Check your own website's stats on these vehicles.

Drew, I was not challenging your statement that both the Aztek and Rendezvous are derived from the GM minivans. Obviously they are. Rather, I was only trying to correct your statement that both vehicles were on shortened versions of the platform. Aztek yes, but Rendezvous no. However, i can see how one might read my comment as a more general challenge rather than the narrow correction that I was trying to convey.

CWJ
  • Options
    Well, Proteus456 (who seems to be a prince of a guy) let me know that a local Buick dealer has a RDV in stock. I called them and they told me they have 2 CXL's on the floor. I made an appointment to drive one in the morning (I'll take a small detour on my way to work).

Can't wait! Thanks again Mitch.

Brian
  • Options
    ra1der5ra1der5 Member Posts: 86
    I share your frustration in finding a RDV to test drive and look forward to reading your thoughts. Personally, I think you are really going to like what you see. Have fun and put 'er through the ringer!

Go Raiders!

R5
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I have read every post and I figured I would chime in. The RDV looks and sounds like it is a great alternative to a minivan and a traditional SUV. I just wish that Buick would have offered more power. It also seems to me that Buick is almost making you buy the CXL because some of the options that I want are not available in the CX trim. Anyway I can't wait to take one for a test drive and give it a good look.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    Well, I'll begin by saying that Buick can keep my deposit, because overall, I am very impressed with the RDV.

First, the bad stuff:

1. The Firestone Affinity tires are bottom rung. I would have gladly paid an extra $150 for some Michelins or Goodyears.

2. Are there clips to hold the third row seat belts in place? They bang on the rear sides and make noise (I know, just keep them buckled).

3. I hate to say it, but I think the grey interior is a little more attractive than the tan. The tan plastic (on the pillars) has a little too much orange tint to it. Also, the white face guages (which I love) look better with the grey dashboard.

4. Any owners notice a whistling from the driver side mirror? I noticed it above 40 mph during my test drive. I hope it was a unique, once in a life-time occurance.

Now the good stuff:

1. Everything else. Seriously, the fit and finish is excellent. Comparable to anything the competition has to offer!

2. The 3rd row seat is roomier and more comfortable than the competition...and easy to use.

3. The ride and handling is first rate. Tight and controlled without being harsh...well done!

4. NVH is first rate! The car was quiet and stately in demeanor on the road. It was a pleasurable place to be...and a high, commanding view of the road. Very solid body structure. Doors shut with a solid feel and there wasn't a single shutter or squeak on the road.

5. Engine power. Very similar to the Venture. Good power off the line due to solid low-end torque, more mediocre (but far from lacking) at freeway speeds. Didn't notice any significant difference in power between the RDV, ML320, or Mountaineer (none of which will win any drag races). Certainly not as potent as the MDX or the Durango but, what else is?

6. Full feature content. The rear parking assist is cool. The dual zone climate control, 8 speaker stereo, driver information center, etc. are certainly a bonus in this price range...dollar-for-dollar, the competition doesn't hold a candle to the RDV.

I believe that there are other SUV's that do certain things better than RDV (MDX has a nicer drivetrain, ML320 is better off-road, etc.) Overall, I think the RDV does many things well, competes with the import and domestic competition on an even playing field, and offers the most bang for the buck. I will add the caveat that everybody has different needs and what best fits my lifestyle may not be the best choice for someone else...for me, it's the RDV.

Overall, I really enjoyed driving it and can't wait to get mine. If I could, I would choose the grey interior over the tan, but the tan is also nice...especially with some high quality (and sparingly placed) wood trim, right CWJ?

Taking my wife back tonight to get the seal of approval...wish me luck!

Brian

P.S. Please let me know about the mirror noise, it bugged me.
    Brian
  • Options
    Why not some wood trim? I trust you noted the strips that I thought were good candidates for where the replacement trim should go. Brian, I'm so happy you finally got to see and drive the Rendezvous. And of course, I'm thrilled that it did not disappoint you. (Imagine CWJ finally exhaling and wiping imaginary sweat from his brow here.)

Now on to your comments. I personally did not notice whistling coming off the driver's mirror. However, I DID notice how huge they were. Perhaps the wind was "just right" on your drive to catch the mirror and produce the noise. Your second drive with your wife tonight should be a fair test as to the sound's permanence.

As to the tires, now what would be this site and a Fed/CWJ exchange without maddening ambiguity about what comes with what on this vehicle? All three CXL's I've seen have been shod with Uniroyal Tiger Paws. I had wondered about a previous poster's (was it mmeehan?) reference to Firestones and had just assumed that she(?) was mistaken or that the Firestones were a CX thing. Now you, whom I trust in all things, mention Firestones on the Rendezvous you drove. No sooner do I pin down the Cassette thing that now I have to worry about what tires will come on my vehicle. Man I REALLY want the Uniroyals. I replaced the OEM Goodyears on my wife's T-Bird with Tiger Paws and they've performed superbly.

But enough about that, I'm just not seeing any buyer's remorse happening yet and you, Tony, Buzzbo, R5, and I are all set to receive our vehicles any day (week?) now. Who wants to set up a friendly pool as to who gets what when?

Once again, I'm happy you're happy, Brian.

CWJ
  • Options
    Glad to see I'm not nuts recommending a GM product (I've had very low opinions of GM in the past). My test drive opinions were similar to yours, in this price range, IMO, rendezvous is the way to go. The whistling at 40mph may have been unique, I didn't notice it, although I did notice some wind noise from the a-pillar area around 60mph (on I405), it could have been from the roof too. Other than the ML, its the only SUV with an "adult class" 3rd row. Compared to the ML, that 3rd row is more versatile (easier access with captains chairs, folds flat into floor.

To be fair, I have to admit I have a 2002 ML320 on order. The ONLY reasons I picked it over the Rendezvous were...
    Power - We're used to Euro sport sedans..The ML came closest to this "feel"
    Slightly more luxurious interior..just slightly.
    Towing - We'll be towing a small camper around on some gravel roads. While the Rdv could handle it in theory, it would be close.
    Available navigation system
    Proven safety, stability control. GM's history on safety hasn't been the best. While the Rendezvous seems solidly built (and has good emergency handling), we wanted something with more of a track record.
    Lastly, I've always wanted a new Mercedes..:-)
    I've driven and researched the MDX, ML, Exploder, Navigator (blech), and RX300. Of all of them, I have to say that IMO, the Rendezvous is the best "bang for the buck". If I were going to rank in catagories, here's how I'd do it.

Safety - ML,MDX,RDV,Explorer
    Power - MDX, ML, Exp, RDV
    Handling - ML, RDV, MDX, Exp
    Interior - ML, RDV, MDX, Exp
    Refinement - ML, RDV, MDX, Exp
    Versatility - RDV, MDX, ML, Exp
    Towing - Exp, ML, MDX, Rdv
    Value for money - Rendezvous, others.:-)
    Bottom line...A Rendezvous with the new DOHC I6 would RULE! As it is, I think its the wise choice for most people..
  • Options
    I honestly don't care and its none of my business what vehicle a person chooses as long as they believe that its the right vehicle for them. Sounds to me like you've made the right decision for the right reasons.

But as someone who thinks the Rendezvous is going to be the right vehicle for HIS household, I thank you for your kind words.

CWJ
  • Options
    First of all, let me say that I continue to enjoy sharing and hearing all of your coments about all things Rendezvous, ML320, MDX, etc. It has actually been fun for me to sift through the facts, research down to the finest detail, assess all of your observations and opinions, and make an educated decision.

Now on to the good and bad.

Good: My wife loved the Rendezvous. She felt that it was a little underpowered (what else is new) but agreed that it is no worse than the ML320, Explorer V6, or our 1993 Accord EX.

She loved the versatility of the interior, as well as the quality of the materials.

Even Jack, our 14 month old, loved the RDV. He sat in a silent daze through the entire fifteen minute test drive (after screaming all the way to the dealership).

Thankfully, the mirrors were silent, as were the 3rd row seat belts.

She loved the look of the platinum guages with the two-tone grey interior...very classy.

Bad: The TAN INTERIOR. She hated it and I must admit, after taking a second look, I don't like it either. It is to yellow/orange, too strong. Also, the brown of the dash clashes with the silvery/white instruments.

Now that she reinforced my dislike for the tan interior, I must call upon Victor (smiling fleet manager) to let GM know that we want to change color (again). Since we don't have a build date yet, I'm hoping it's not too late to get the change.

I wish we could get the grey interior with our chosen exterior colors but, we'll go with Silverleaf over Greymist, or White over Greymist as a second choice.

Wish me luck...
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Never been a fan of tan interiors. I've seen some that are ok, but shades of gray and black are all I would consider. My parents were the same way, but my mom bought an Alero with tan interior 2 years ago to my surprise.

I am happy to hear lots of positive things about the Rendezvous. I had a good feeling about it after seeing it at the Toronto auto show. Glad to hear I won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the great write up on the RDV after your test drive, and I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the tan interior. (Although, I must admit, it makes me happy we got the grey, since the wife doesn't tend to like tan interiors, and it sounds like she probably wouldn't like this one either.) I personally haven't had a chance to check out one with a tan interior, so I can't really comment. Just thank goodness you realized it before your RDV was sitting on the dealer lot!

As for the wind noise, I don't have any problems with wind noise on ours, and the interior is very quiet, esp compared to the GM minivans that I've driven. The biggest problem I've noticed is low frequency road noise sneaking in, sounding like its reverberating off the floor pan. Even then, I only notice it on certain road types. Example, we were driving on a local freeway here where two lanes are blacktop and two are cement. When we were on the cement lanes, the noise was really noticable to me, but when I changed lanes to the blacktop, it was almost completely gone, and therefore much quieter. And thats with the Uniroyal tires, BTW. However, even with that noise, I think the only reason I really notice it is because the rest of the ride is so quiet.

And I agree that the interior is a pleasant place to be. Every time I ride in it, I like it more. Its just quiet and very comfortable. It was a great ride on the one long trip we've taken it on so far, and I think it will probably become our default road trip vehicle, esp once we get kids in the picture!

Thanks again for the write up! Now hopefully everyone will get theirs soon so we can start swapping ownership stories!

BY
  • Options
    Just noticed yesterday that GM announced they will be making an inline 5 cylinder and an inline 4, both based off the new inline 6 that's in the new Trailblazer, Envoy and Bravada. Personally, I think the I6 might be a bit much for the RDV, but I would love to see the I5 in there. Considering that I6 gets 270 HP, and from the rumors around here, it can go even higher but it was toned down just to meet emmisions, etc. So the I5 should be able to kick out more than enough to give the RDV the power to remove the stigma that its underpowered (which I don't believe, as I've said here previously). Just a thought, but they obviously have big plans for these engines to be investing the money in new plants, etc.
  • Options
    dforrdforr Member Posts: 55
    ...3rd seat in the RDV, unless you are a 14 month old. For anyone with kids over 6 years old, you need to look much more closely at other options. These third row seats have less knee room than airplane seats! After looking at this car, both the wife and I crossed it off the list and were "Gone in 60 seconds."

Bought an MDX the next day.
  • Options
    It's nice to hear that most of the "real life" reviews for the Rendezvous are positive after all this time. I have to agree with almost everything that has been said. While I generally like tan interiors I did not care for the tan in the RDV because as Fed said, it's got just too much yellow in it, but it's definitely something one can live with. My salesman mentioned in passing that he had changed something on HIS order after it had been submitted and it didn't seem to be a problem so I think your chances are good that you can make the change. As for the wind noise on the side mirror, I test drove at speeds up to almost 80 and never noticed a whistle so it probably was a one-time thing (hopefully). The third thing is the tires. For those of you who haven't ordered make sure to specify the change to Uniroyals when you order. I guess this only holds for the CX's from what I've read, although I admit I didn't look to see what tires were on the CXL's because I was only interested in the CX. But the CX's definitely come standard with Firestone's (although after another major recall by Ford on Firestone's, maybe Buick will get smart and realize that maybe Firestone wasn't such a good choice, but they were probably given a rock-bottom deal to go with the Firestone's). On another note, got my order number yesterday as well as a model of the RDV in the mail from our dealer. My kids loves it. Also, some dealers in my area still say you cannot order leather in the CX, but you can. Be persistent with your dealer if you want leather in your CX (you will be required though to get the 1SD package in order to get leather as an option). Keep in mind that the third row seat does not come with the 1SD pakcage so it has to be ordered as a separate option. That's it for now.
  • Options
    We were surprised at how much room the thrid row seat had in comparison to others such as the MDX. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your MDX but my husband, who is almost 6 feet tall sat in the third row and had leg room even with the second row back all the way. If you move the second row up a bit there's even more room. This is actually one of the many reasons we went with the RDV.
  • Options
    I'm confused by your post. Are you saying that you believe the MDX's third row is better in some way(s) than the Rendezvous'? If so, please elaborate. To the best of my recollection, I can't recall anyone before you suggesting that the MDX's third row is as good as, much less better than, the Rendezvous'. In fact, trying to make use of the third row seat when adults are involved, seems to be a nontrivial problem among MDX owners over in the MDX topic. Don't get me wrong. There are good reasons to choose the MDX and take a pass on the Rendezvous if that's what's right for you. It's just that I didn't think the third row would have been one of them.

CWJ
  • Options
    I looked at all the vehicles in this class very carefully, and I can tell you the MDX had the LEAST room in the third row. Not only is access much harder (can't tumble seat forward) but you also can't move the 2nd row forward to give more legroom to 3rd row people, like you can in the Redezvous and ML. In fact, if the 3rd seat will be used often, the Rendezvous is the best game in town..the available captains chair 2nd row seating makes it even better....:-)
  • Options
    GREAT! JUST WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!

Well, I guess it's the risk you take when ordering sight unseen. We really liked the gray interior in the RDV we test drove and figured the tan would be similar. Being the color scheme said the tan interior was "DARK OAK", I imagined a darker, richer tan color.

Regarding the replica RDV's: I received an email from Buick saying the Dealers may give the replica to the customers at their discretion. During our negotiations our dealer said they would try to get us one... so I'm giving them a friendly reminder.

Go Raiders!

R5
  • Options
    I ask everyone who has seen the tan interior to take a look the the drivers tour at the Buick web site (link below) and tell me if the real life tan interior looks anything like the virtual view.

http://www.buick.com/rendezvous/vgallery/virtual_driver.html

Thanks in advance for your input!

Go Raiders!

R5

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,150
    Just have to pop in and express my amazement that anyone would prefer a non-color gray interior over virtually any alternative. Gray interiors were originally reserved for small, cheap, miserable low-buck imports and as far as I'm concerned thats where they should have stayed. The proliferation of prison-cell gray interiors in recent years is a most unwelcome development in my mind.

What the RDV really needs is a choice of blue or red in addition to tan. Ditch the gray, make it black if nothing else.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    buzzbo99buzzbo99 Member Posts: 111
    I got a call from the dealership and El Trucko has been taken off the train in Shreveport LA which is about an hour from here so it should be here next week and no one has answered me about a trailer hitch. I cannot take my boat anywhere without one. I looked under the rear of a CXL yesterday and could not even figure how it attaches. But I am sure if they have one for the Aztek they should make one for the Rendezvous. Any of you Aztek lurkers have a hitch on yours?

My Rendezvous has Oak interior and I have not seen it yet. But I would have chosen the color of dishwater over gray. My last two cars have had gray. I agree that Buick should have had more interior color selections. I miss the old days of red interiors.
  • Options
    The virtual tour is what I based my original decision on. In it, and in all the literature, the tan interior had a beige, flesh tone quality which looked attractive. In person, the tan interior is more of a mustard colour (French's, not Grey Poupon) and to my eyes, unattractive.

Just my opinion,

Brian
  • Options
    I can't say I've seen the Tan yet, but if anybody does have access to one and can get a picture of it, I'd be happy to stick it up on our website so people can compare the interior colors with actual pics of how they look. I can even try calling my dealer and see if they have any yet, and maybe I can get the digital camera over there. However, if anybody can get a pic they can e-mail me, I'll stick it up on the web. (fedlawman, could you get a pic we can throw up there?)

For that matter, if we can get pics of the other exterior colors, I'll stick those up there too.

BY
  • Options
    Wow. It looks like we've finally found a divide among the Rendezvous fanciers. Perhaps we'll have to divide into two tribes ala Survivor. the Grays and the Oaks (Tans?). Everyone must know by now that I really try to save my arguments for points of fact and let points of taste fall where they may. However, I was quite sincere when I said that I thought Brian would "love" the oak interior, and I find myself sympathizing with the "anything but gray" crowd.

That Brian was conflicted by the "Oak" and his wife despised it admittedly caught me offguard. But I shall forcefully say that while the "French's mustard" comment is perhaps justifiable hyperbole, I don't see the "orange" comments as legitimate. Yellowish yes. But orange? That's a little over the top.

R5, you asked us to check out the virtual tour and I did so. But I'm not sure what any of us can tell you because I'll bet none of our monitors show exactly the same colors. In fact, I made a point of trying out the color selector on my home computer and two different computers at work before I ordered Gammera, and believe me all three computers gave noticably different looks. R5, all I can say is that on my home computer, the virtual tour looks quite close to my recollection of the "oak" in the Chicago auto show vehicle with which I first fell in love and my test drive vehicle in Auburn, IN.

I've seen the gray, and the best I can say for it personally, I emphasize personally, is that it is "safe." No chances taken. Kind of like buying a home in a new addition in the 'burbs rather than an older neighborhood in town. (Boy, am I going to catch it for that one.)

What should you do? I don't know. I wonder what tires I'm going to get. You wonder whether you'll like the interior color. Heck. I'm painfully aware that I'm the only one here that's chosen Sedona Bronze which I've yet to see on a chip bigger than my thumbnail, and one has singled out as the most yuck of colors. So I counsel rant, rave, and relax until the vehicle arrives.

Best to everyone (just don't vote me off the island),

CWJ
  • Options
    ... I didn't even consider the personal computer monitor color variations. Thanks for the encouraging words about the interior. I suppose we'll keep you on the island THIS week.

Overall, as our car nears the dealership, I guess I become more nervous about what we have ordered... sight-unseen and without a test drive. I was happy that our test drive met our (my) expectations but I have yet to see a white RDV on the net other than on the Buick web site.

I have even tried using the Edmonds GM Buypower site to locate RDVs at dealers that are near us. Unfortunately, the RDV is not listed under the Buick vehicle options. Being in the San Francisco Bay Area, a lot of dealerships are within an hour from us. If I knew a dealership had a white RDV or one with a tan interior, I certianly would take the time to check it out.

BTW: I have also seen comments that the white isn't the best looking color on this vehicle. But then the observer also said it had the gray lower cladding as opposed to out "Light Sandrift" as our will have.

R5
  • Options
    Of course my opinion is JUSTIFIABLE because this is a forum for opinions (and that's all I claim my observation of the tan interior is). As for it being HYPERBOLE, I simply stated what it looks like in the most accurate way I could, without exaggeration or emotion.

I will expand on my description by stating the seats are a nice colour (especially the seating surface portions) and the carpeting and headliner is fine. My primary problem with the interior lies in the colour of the plastics. The steering wheel (not the dark leather portion) is most definately a "mustard colour" that looks cheap and doesn't match the seats, and the plactic pillar trim above the shoulder line has a definite orange hue, which is especially noticeable where the pillars meet the headliner.

I didn't mean to upset you ra1der5. When I first saw it, I thought the grey looked more integrated but I didn't consider it a deal breaker. When my wife saw it, she reacted strongly (she is an artist and very colour/texture aware). I honestly don't know if you will react as strongly as we did or not.

I guess this just goes to show that it is indeed dificult to make a decision sight unseen and is a continuing source of frustration for those of us who pre-ordered.

Brian
  • Options
    morgrmorgr Member Posts: 1
    I have seen the mpg listed for the RZV anywhere from 16-20 to 18-24 for the AWD CX/CXL and would like to know what people are getting. I saw one person saying they started at 13 mpg and is now up to 19 (I assume this is either city or overall average). Depending on which end the mpg is, will help me determine if I should keep my Olds 88 (20 city 30 hwy) and use for economy drives or trade it in and use the RZV all the time. With the Ford Escape being a 2.0L 200 hpr and lighter getting 19 and 24, it makes me wonder if the literature is correct that the RZV can get it also.

My dealer told me the Firestone tires come on the base models of the FWD and both the CX and CXL AWD base models. He said you need one of the packages to upgrade the tires.

Why in Buicks brochure, do they only show the RZV in one color scheme throughout the whole brochure?

An earlier listing someone thought that the SAAB version of the RZV would have a SAAB engine. If they are made in the US, in the same plant as the RZV, would they use a totally different engine?
  • Options
    Hey Fed,

I'm not necessarily "upset". More likely, I am anxious to see what we ordered. Actually, the more I look at it on the Buick web site, the more comfortable I become. I would just REALLY like to see my colors (interior & exterior) in person.

Being an auditor, the pre-order was a move I usually wouldn't make. I normally verify, verify, verify before making a decision. But again, I'm just anxious and excited. I didn't take your post personally.

R5
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess we're all a little anxious about pre-ordering a car without seeing it first. It truly is a terrific car and my "nit-picking" has not diminished my enthusiasm for the RDV in the least.

I truly consider it the best car for my needs and a great car for the money!

A note about tires - the two RDV's that I saw were CXL's, both equipped with Package 1SD and towing package. Both had alloy (not chrome) wheels and Firestone Affinity tires. Both were Pewter in colour too.