Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    I'd take the review with a large grain of reality check by looking at the RDV fit yourself. The reviewer here didn't like the Buick product I was looking at (LeSabre) but loved foreign cars. She seemed to have recently taken journalism course and tried to show how she could wordsmith in her review. I love my 03 Celebration LeSabre!

Recently a review linked here didn't like the new Pontiac GP. It was a New York Times review in conjunction with Edmunds. (It was an Edmunds link on the New York Times.) He dished the way it drove in mall parking lots, etc., etc. He kept praising other cars in the GP review. I looked up the review by Edmunds in conjunction with NY Times for Accord. That reviewer loved it. But as I read, he had had a V6 loaner for a period of days, then a 4 cyl loaner auto, and a 4 cyl manual for several days from Honda.

I may have the sequences wrong, but the reviewer who didn't like the GP probably was only in the car for a few hours in an urban environment. The Honda reviewer had been pamper with loaner cars each for a period of days. I wonder why the bias in the reviews from NYT.

So give your reviews a reality check by looking at the fit/finish yourself.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    #noname#noname Member Posts: 58
    I agree with imidazol97 ... check out the fit and finish yourself. I have a 2002 Buick RDV CXL and I think the fit and finish is comparable to other import vehicles I've owned (most recently Honda and Nissan). In other words, fit and finish are excellent.

As for noise at highway speeds ... the RDV is very quiet at highway speeds (although I usually have the stereo, which is phenomenal, turned on). Go for a nice long test drive on the highway (you can even take the RDV for a 24 hour test drive from Buick).

Waiting for the 2004? Yes, the RDV Ultra will have more power. But, I'm guessing mileage will suffer with the addition of more horsepower. Also, you will pay more for the Ultra. With my 2002 RDV, I will not be winning any sprints, but I find it has more than enough power for my needs and the great mileage is a real plus (especially with gas prices the way they are). Also, the RDV uses regular, not premium, gas.

P.S. And I just saw on TV that you can get up to $5,500 cash back on RDV (2003 model year); another reason to buy now.
  • Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    I've driven my rendezvous on a lot of longer distance trips, i.e. 500+ miles often each way. Highway ride and seat comfort have been superb for me. YMMV. I've never arrived at my destination fatigued in any way as I have with some other vehicles.

I would have to agree that the engine could be a little quieter and/or sound a little smoother under full acceleration, but it gets the job done. In rolling terrain, it makes the most of the transmission by downshifting on the up hill runs, and with the cruise on, it can very a bit uphill versus down. But I've never been impressed by the precision of GM cruise controls, so I would give equal blame to engine torque and cruise control for this speed variation.

CWJ
  • Options
    philly88philly88 Member Posts: 45
    Waiting for the new RDV is always an option. It will have a 240+hp engine, so it will definitely move quicker. I haven't had any complaints though. I move around fast enough, and on the highway passing power is good. It doesn't through you back into the seat but you sure don't white knuckle it passing a transport either. I too find the highway driving very comfortable. The stereo is Great as other have said, and I only have the base stereo. With the wind noise, my experience is that on certain windy days with a cross wind I find the rear view mirror makes a wind noise. But on the average day I don't hear anything at all.

Now the tailgate, well I find it a bit annoying. Mine doesn't have the electronic switch on the outside handle, so using the keyfob or interior button is a bit of a pain. But the new models all have the electric release outside now. Also, when you close the tailgate I find you do have to give it a bit of a same, not hard, but a bit more than average for it to fully latch. It is by no means an extreme condition, just mildly annoying. It is definitely not something that would make me look away from buying one.

All in all I have been very satisfied with my RDV. Both the wife and I really enjoy driving it. In fact, when she borrows it for a couple of days I actually miss it, and can't wait to get back in it.

Do not listen to any reviews to make your final decision. The only way is to drive all the vehicles in your price range and see what you like best.
  • Options
    dennie4dennie4 Member Posts: 24
    I just purchased a 2003 CXL a few weeks ago. I did not even go to the dealer looking or had ever heard of the Rendezvous before that trip. We were taking our Chevy Venture in for service. My wife saw the brochure for it. We ended up taking one for the weekend. And really liked it,I had a 96 Honda Accord and was actually quite happy with it, except for winter driving(some of the scariest time I have ever spent in a car) Anyway with the deal GM is offering of $5000 in Rebates and what the dealer discounted it, who could refuse. I sold the Honda and purchased the Buick. I do not have a problem with the power this engine provides and have found the gas mileage to be better than I thought it would be. It doesn't tear up the road, but neither did my Honda or my Chevy Venture. We test drove a Limited Toyota Highlander and I was not overly impressed, I thought the Rendezvous had a better ride and was more comfortable and luxurious. But than again I am not a experienced Car reviewer like the ones that keep ripping on the Rendezvous.I would say if any one is in the market to buy now. I have never seen deals like being offered now. I am quite happy with my purchase. About the only other SUV I would have considered would have been the Honda Pilot, but who can find one. They are very scarce around here and you know what that means for getting a good deal on one. Also I was told the cabin filter is only available on the CXL plus package. I wish I could have found one with the plus package, it has the heads up display. A very cool option.
  • Options
    My LeSabre didn't have the air filter I thought it did -- it had been dropped for 03 and I didn't realize it, but it was listed as available. All it required was a small plastic frame and the filter snaps into the frame. Came as a $50 package and replacement filters are about $20. Dealer snapped in the frame, placed the filter itself and voila, cleaner filtered air. No dust on dash anymore. If it is on the CXL plus, it probably has parts that can be purchased and put in!!!

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The Pilots are not cheap either. The ones I saw on the lot a few weeks ago stickered at C$45K + and you know there will be almost no discounts though Honda Canada is offering 3.8% financing right now.
  • Options
    montreidmontreid Member Posts: 127
    MPG will suffer somewhat with the upgraded engine on the local drive; however, with the Variable Timing, the highway mileage should be comparable to the current engine....so it'll really depend on your driving style.

Distance driving is always excellent. Lines of sight and the comfort of the seats do well over the 3 hours of driving without problems.

IMHO, I would wait for the 2004 and get the Ultra or the upgraded engine in CXL because the accelleration is anemic from 40-65--the on ramp onto freeway, oh my gosh there's a semi coming need for acceleration.

Otherwise, the current 185hp is quite capable if you don't have large grade inclines to climb at 70MPH.
  • Options
    I noticed from a few posts about different waxes people are using. I have been using Meguires gold. It seem to work pretty well but requires a lot of elbow work. I tried NU finish last night. I noticed it left swirl marks on the finish. I have the dark blue and it shows everything. I had to re- wax with the Meguires Gold. I am hearing about a product from 3M that is supposed to work well, but can't seem to find the name of what it is. I also have been hearing the price on the Ranier is going to be in the Forty Thousand range. Quite a bit more than we have paid.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I use Speed Bead from Stoner products. It is a spray and goes on quick and comes off very easy. It is the best stuff that I have ever found and will never look back. www.moreshine.com will take you there.

It also out last anything that I have bought locally. Just a thought.
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    did GM push any of the Cadillac technology down into the RDV? I'm looking at the SRX, but am hoping that the RDV would be "a poor man's Cadillac." :-)
  • Options
    mnfish1mnfish1 Member Posts: 14
    We have had our rdv now for about a year, and have not experienced any problems. I keep reading about the lack of power...well this Sunday we are going fishing to Ignace Canada. We will be loaded with extra gas, food, and pulling an old 16 ft fiberglass tri hull boat powered by a double nickel johnny and a 10 popper evin kicker. The canadian trans hiway has lots of those long hills with passing lanes...when I get back I will tell you which lane I was in. Also the last leg of the trip to Fish Camp is unimproved road. Be back in about a week...
  • Options
    When you're pulling the boat and extra load, do you use 3 or let the trans go into 4th? It would seem to me that 3rd would keep the trans cooler circulating the fluid faster.

• Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Do you have AWD and towing package? So folks get a better idea...
  • Options
    We have 2003 cx fwd... no towing package...I put on the hitch myself..I am planing on using D3 as suggested in the owners manual.
  • Options
    coatingmikecoatingmike Member Posts: 44
    I'm interested to hear about your hithc mnfish. I just ordered a draw-tite that I'm going to install myself on my '03 CXL fwd w/towing package. I won't use it to haul much, utility trailers and maybe someday a pop-up camper. The hitch I ordered looks like it is really tucked in under the rear fascia when there is no ball assembly installed. You have to remove teh fascia to install it, but the instructions don't look like it is a very big deal. I hope not otherwise I may show up somewhere with my rear bumper in the back crying "fix it for me!"
  • Options
    olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    The compressor is getting noisier. is it common? Am I alone?
  • Options
    coating mike

i ordered mine off internet and installed in less than an hour...my wife helped me about 3 minutes and i am not a mechanic...i got a class 3 but only am planning on using for old fiberglass boat about 1500 pounds...ect...the real tip on installation is the fact that you attach the back bolts before the under bolts...my instructions were perfect...as far as lights if you have the tow package you can buy premanfactured hook up... i had to splice into wireing...
  • Options
    Thanks mnfish. I suspect that I ordered the same thing that you did. Too bad it won't get here before the weekend, now I want to get it put on.
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    The recall is dated August 2003 and is for all 2002 model year and certain 2003 model year Buick Rendezvous. The Buick dealer will add structural reinforcements to the liftgate in the area adjoining the latch assembly. According to the recall it should take approximately 40 minutes to install.

~Ken
  • Options
    I just attempted to change my air filter, do it yourself you know the filter is new and in correctly blah blah blah, but after an hour of wrestling with it I realized that on this car unless I learn a new method I will definitely take it in for this service. Anyone know of something I've missed to make this easier? Unbelievable how difficult the positioning is on this item. Mike
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Just received my recall for the TailGate. Somehow I am really not in a hurry to bring it in for two reasons. First, no one ever uses the rear seat. It is always folded down for cargo. So this takes away the reason for the fix, at least in my case. Second, after reading some complaints as to problems some folks are having with closing their lift gates, I feel blessed to have a smooth effortless closing gate :-). Just get the feeling they might screw this up if I let them get their hands on it. I probably will take it in for the service, but I will wait to get some input from those that have it done. Wondering if cosmetically it will affect the appearance at all.
  • Options
    I had the recall done yesterday. It took three calls and getting Buick Customer Assistance involved before the local GM dealership "found" the recall information. They seem to have the kits for the recall but not the recall info which makes me think they were full of it.

The actual fix was not a hassle, dropped off in the morning and picked up after work. I was very careful in examing the work afterwards. Popped open the tailgate and noticed lots of greasy finger prints around the lock mechanism. You can't see any comestic changes, must be all internal. I felt around the panels to make sure they were all nice and tight and found no problems. Just needed to clean up the finger prints. Tailgate operates as normal.
  • Options
    2003 cx rdv 3.4 fwd loaded with fishing stuff and pulling a 14 ft tri hull fiberglass boat with two motors on back going to ignace canada. split the trip into two legs..no problem with the seat comfort..no problem with power, even on the big hill going on 35w south of duluth mn...did not have air con on...did drive in d3 and used cruise control..when a hill did challenge the rdv it effortlessly downshifted and tach went from 2700 to about 3200 rpm..when more snuse was needed it went down again and raised to about 3700 rpm..very quietly and efficiently..23 mpg average
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Hello,

Does anyone (Lance? ;-) ) know if the in-dash 6 CD changer on the 2002 CXL has any type of input on the back? Or if there's any good way to hook up an audio device (like an iPod) to the stereo?

I know I could use an FM transmitter, but I'd like to know of other options.

Thanks!
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    The stock system does not have any aux inputs on it. If i remember correctly there is a way to hook up external devices to a stock radio... I don't recall the manufacturer or the model.

I'll have some pics up of my system in a little bit... i'll post them on my web site and send the URL to the board.

~Lance
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Hey Lance!

Nice to see you are still around the board. You mentioned you have a web page what is the url address?

~ken
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Here's a link that others might find interesting:

http://www.rcainput.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

It's a way to hook up external audio devices to lots of stock stereos. Unfortunately, I don't think the RDV stereo is one of them. :-(
  • Options
    Having not driven my Rendezvous since I picked her up after a recall, I found several cracks on the tailgate interior panel on Sunday morning. I picked her up when it was dark and drizzling out and I did not find the cracks. On Sunday it was nice and sunny out and the cracks just popped out in the daylight. There are two deep fractures running out from the handle pocket underneath the tailgate. There is also a much more noticeable crack on the left side of the gate next to the glass. It ran about 3 inches from end to end and was clearly visible because it was gaping enough to cause a shadow from the sun. This one looks like it was hit with a hammer because the crack was semi-circular and not clean.

I took her back this morning to the dealership insisting on getting her fixed. The dealership advisor kept emphasizing if it's my fault I will have to pay. Buick will hear from me if it's not taken care of properly! The dealership is Plaza Auto Mall in Brooklyn, NY.
  • Options
    Brooklyn

no wonder
  • Options
    hvmhvm Member Posts: 8
    I am thinking getting a RDV, but I need some help with the price of the car. With all the incentives and discounts, what is a good price of a RDV if the window sticker price is $31K?
  • Options
    10% off the MSRP plus the rebates.
    That was my deal in February on a $35k RDV CXL with AWD .
  • Options
    olrdv - do you still like it? how was it in the snow?
  • Options
    it is very reliable great on snow, giving peace of mind. Wife loves it.
    So far, we put about 11k miles, other than a noisy leveling compressor, to be replace this Friday, we have only to change trhe oil and rotating the tires.
    I just wish for a more powerful engine, my other car is very powerful with supercharger!!
  • Options
    ang35ang35 Member Posts: 14
    Is there any mention of the 2004 RDV having the 3rd row be a 50/50 split row?
  • Options
    wws2wws2 Member Posts: 23
    I picked up a 2004 brochure the other day. (First one too. The sales critter had to tear open the box.) The big 'kicker' for 2004 is the Ultra version with the bigger engine. There is no mention of a split 3rd row seat.

Also, if I read the brochure right, it sounds like one can opt for the DOHC 3.6 in CXL trim. Anyone know for sure?
  • Options
    I know the buick web site says that you can get the Ultra engine in CXL trim.
  • Options
    did anyone try an alternative tire size like
    235x65-16
     or
    225x70-16
    etc.etc.

Also, can you please give any feedback about new replacement tire brands?

We all know that the cheap standard tires, either the weak Firestone Affinity or the flimsey Tiger Paw do not last long. It is important to share the new tire experiences.
  • Options
    jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
    My mechanic was not very pleased to see the Tiger Paws on my 2002 RDV when I went in for a balance and rotation this month (some disparaging remark about "French" tires). They are wearing faster on the outer part of the tires. We are now inflating the tire to 37 to 38 psi to get them to wear properly (I had them at 35 psi before). The Firestone and UniRoyal tires are Standard Touring All Season Passenger/MiniVan tires. The Uniroyal tire is an OEM version just for the RDV.

There are two alternate tires that he recommended: the Michelin LTX M/S and the Bridgestone Dueler H/L D684. They are both Highway Light Truck tires. The price for the Bridgestone is close to the UniRoyal and the Michelin is much higher.

My concern is if the noise level is greater. On TireRack, the Bridgestone is rated close to the UniRoyal for noise comfort but the Michelin is much better. I will probably break the bank and buy the Michelins when I replace my UniRoyal in the next 18 months.
  • Options
    I have the set of LTX M/S tires. I can definitely tell you they are MUCH quieter than the OEM Affinities. On the OEM tires I couldn't hear the engine all that well while driving. With the LTXs, they're much quieter that I can hear the engine much more clearly (not a good or bad thing but so you have an idea). The LTX comes in passenger (P?) and truck tires (LT?) models. Mines are the passenger tires.
  • Options
    jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
    My mechanic was not very pleased to see the Tiger Paws on my 2002 RDV when I went in for a balance and rotation this month (some disparaging remark about "French" tires). They are wearing faster on the outer part of the tires. We are now inflating the tire to 37 to 38 psi to get them to wear properly (I had them at 35 psi before). The Firestone and UniRoyal tires are Standard Touring All Season Passenger/MiniVan tires. The Uniroyal tire is an OEM version just for the RDV.

There are two alternate tires that he recommended: the Michelin LTX M/S and the Bridgestone Dueler H/L D684. They are both Highway Light Truck tires. The price for the Bridgestone is close to the UniRoyal and the Michelin is much higher.

My concern is if the noise level is greater. On TireRack, the Bridgestone is rated close to the UniRoyal for noise comfort but the Michelin is much better. I will probably break the bank and buy the Michelins when I replace my UniRoyal in the next 18 months.
  • Options
    I have had my RDV for a few months and I have noticed a few things I think are wrong, but not sure. The HVAC is very quiet when on full cool, as you slide over to heat it gets louder, by the time you are on full heat it is quite loud. It is especially noticeable on both upper vent modes and quieter when on the floor. My engine makes a slight whistling noise when driving in traffic and slightly pressing on gas to keep up with traffic,the whistle is more noticeable when the engine is cold. And third it seems when the engine is cold and I pull up to a stop, it has jerked forward a little bit almost like a hard downshift. it startled me both time that happened. None of this happened until the cool weather started. Does this sound familiar to anyone. I was thinking of waiting until I need my first Oil change to have the dealer look at these things.
  • Options
    rewindingrewinding Member Posts: 11
    I just bought some Michelein LTX and they are indeed much quieter than the Firestone Affinities.

I really dislike the French for their foreign polity, and I hate to admit to have the Micheleins on my car.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You must mean their recent foreign policy. I sort of appreciate their foreign policy in the late 1700's :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Anyone driven a Ultra with the 3.6L yet?
  • Options
    lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    Dennie4,
    I think this is normal. I had test driven an RDV a while back and it seemed to be noisy like my Chevy Venture when heat is coming from the panel vents. The Venture and RDV probably use simialr parts in the heat that casue the noise.

If the dealer says the sound is normal, ask if he can bring another RDV out and you can check it. I checked two other Ventures and they were just as noisy as mine.
  • Options
    desaljsdesaljs Member Posts: 24
    This past Summer, we purchased a 2003 CLX, loaded and, as we lost Daylight Savings Time, we noticed that the glove box has NO LIGHT. Thinking that this must be some type of oversight, we asked the dealer to check it out. According to our dealer in central Illinois, none of these vehicles have a light in the glove box. Can other owners confirm this for me? If this is so, HOW CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE on a vehicle with a sticker price close to $35,000? We really like our vehicle, but would GM go this low to save a buck?
  • Options
    Mine doesn't have it either. I am guessing the thinking might be since our center console has a light, and is more typically glove box size they left the other out? I don't agree with the decision, but I'm guessing that might be what they were doing.
  • Options
    desaljsdesaljs Member Posts: 24
    coatingmike,

Good thought on that. It makes it a little easier for me to accept.

Thanks.
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    You can blame the "lack" of a glove box light on the "Bean Counters" at GM.It adds up to a lot of money saved for the Corporation.