Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    Philly you are in love with the RDV !! LOL.
  • Options
    msadamsmsadams Member Posts: 26
    Hi Gang,

I have not posted for a while! I am an amatuer radio operator and really enjoy VHF/UHF/Microwave rover contesting. Here is a shot of my RDV being used in the ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes. The photo is of my roving partner searching for a wrench to raise the mast a bit more.

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~msadams/RDV%20Photos/RDV%20in%20Jan%- 20SS%202003.jpg

This June 14 and 15 is the next BIG VHF radio contest and my setup will be bigger and better than what you see pictured.

The RDV excellent for this type of work because the back seats come out and an operating station can be installed with the radios, computers, keyers, amplifiers, deep cycle batteries, etc, etc.....

If you are interested in ham radio, please check out

www.arrl.org

Mark K2QO

Translation:
    Best regards,
    Mark, My federally licensed radio callsign
  • Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    Hi Mark,

NOW I have some idea what it was if I saw a car tricked out like your Rendezvous coming at me. At least I wouldn't confuse it with the "Cat Detector Van from the Ministry of Hounsin'g'." (Old Monty Python routine)

CWJ
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Hey Mark!
    Looks really cool....However I bet that contraption plays heck with your gas mileage.
    ~Ken
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Any chance we can see what you've done to the cargo area of your RDV?
  • Options
    philly88philly88 Member Posts: 45
    Wow, now talk about modifying a RDV. Hey msadams, are you actually permitted to drive around like that in the city? I bet you attract a few looks. I think it's great you are using the RDV in this way showing just how versatile and useful the RDV can be.
  • Options
    msadamsmsadams Member Posts: 26
    Hi Gang,

Glad you like the photo of my RDV! I will post a really nice website link after the June VHF Contest which takes place on 6/14-15/03. There will be video too.

As for driving with this attached, heck YES! Any vehicle is allowed a max L x W x H and in my case the limiting value is height. I travel with the top antenna at 12'. Legal limit is 13'6". In the boonies lower is better as the antennas collect foliage :-)

As for fuel economy, well, in January we NEVER turned the vehicle off other than food breaks. Max temp for the two days was about 16F. On Sunday of the contest it ran from 0800-2100 local time. I use Mobil 1 and the average milage since the first oil change over a year ago is 19.4 MPG. And mose of my driving is city/suburb stuff.

As I posted earlier, check out

http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/?con_id=47

You can scroll down through many pages of contest activity reports and see just what other vehicle configurations look like. Some are MIGHTY impressive.

Mark K2QO
  • Options
    wws2wws2 Member Posts: 23
    Nice photo Mark. My wife would throw fits if I ever did that to 'her' RDV. Do you have the towing package (which notably includes a heavier duty alternator)? Any other electrical system mods?

No mention of Field Day? Lots of VHF and even some UHF activity then too. Fun - and pretty laid back compared to the HF side of the house. Vehicle-wise, my Suburban has been known to carry a entire HF station - including 50' tower and yagis - up The Hill to our FD site...

Walt w6ws
  • Options
    cigar95cigar95 Member Posts: 13
    A simple question - when does the trip odometer roll over to zero again? Will it roll over at 10,000 miles, or will it keep going to 100,000 (or higher)?

This is not a big deal in the grand scheme, but I'm wondering. I suppose I could wait and find out in another 7800 miles or so.
  • Options
    cigar95 - I'm guessing it'll turn back to zero at 10,000. Other cars do that and I think the RDV isn't going to be an exception.

My worries are all the potholes lying silently in wait in the NYC area. I've avoided as many as I possibly could but have hit a few large sized ones. Wondering how my suspension/steering will hold up over time? Anyone else with pothole nightmares?
  • Options
    nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    maybe a dumb question, but.....you know you can reset it yourself, right?
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    Please check my post #106 on accessories and modifications and tell if it's a good idea to paint the taillights to match the body color.

Regards,
    Taras
    tmakogon "Rendezvous Owners: Accessories & Modifications" May 21, 2003 6:29pm
  • Options
    I kinda like your idea. I'd have to see it done though to make a judgment call on that one. Painting on the plastic is another matter.

I wouldn't paint on the plastic myself, but for sure talk to an auto body shop. It REALLY needs to be preped very well for the paint to stick and be durable. With even the best paint job though, the paint will chip, or scratch right off easier than the body paint for sure. But done right it should be fairly durable to regular wear such as washing.

Please post your results with photos if you go through with it.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Is it legal to paint the tail lights? I was under the impression you had to have a red lens in the rear of the vehicle. Years ago we had the blue dot in the middle of the lens but the majority of the lens was still red. I agree with philly88 that it will be difficult to paint the lens and have it stick and not flake off. I think it is a great idea and would be very interested in seeing how it turns out, and whether it is legal or not.

~Ken
  • Options
    cigar95cigar95 Member Posts: 13
    > maybe a dumb question, but.....you know you
    > can reset it yourself, right?

sure - otherwise it would be the same as the regular odometer!

I figure on using it to track my yearly mileage, but it sounds like it's likely to roll over after about nine months. No problem - I can remember that I drove 13,000 miles, not 3000!
  • Options
    enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    Hello Everyone

Just checking in, I haven't been here since December. Our Rendezvous now has 23000 km and has only been to the dealer once, to repair a problem with the rear audio controls.
         Before we bought the Rendezvous, i got the wife to look at a Camry. We had never owned or ridden in a Japanese car ( not since the 70's). I was impressed! So this year when my old car was at an end, I bought a Camry. The ride in the Rendezvous is much smoother than my Camry's SE suspension allows, but let me tell you the Camry is far more quite inside. I know that it's not fair to compare the interior decibel level of a crossover to a car. But Toyota doesn't need to make a radio that get's louder as you go faster.
    Wind noise is zero in the Camry, and I wish that we could say that about the Rendezvous.
        All in all, I am very happy with the Rendezvous, but the wife drives it, and I prefer the quiet in my Toyota.
  • Options
    ssurgeontssurgeont Member Posts: 8
    Regarding the tripometer reset push the stem that sticks out next to trip readout and hold it in for a few seconds to reset.I just bought a cxl and I noticed that the drivers door hinge at the top is attached to body by just 1 or 2 small bolts and when you open door and it swings open with any force at all the hinge pulls away from the body so much that a 1/8 or 1/4 inch gap opens up between the hinge and body. I tighted the top bolt about a turn and a half but it still "gaps" when I open it all the way. Whats with that? I read some where that somebody had a home remedy for this but has anybody had any problem with theirs and does Buick ackowledge the perceived problem?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome back! And please visit with us more often!

Wind noise is zero in the Camry...

That is true BUT on certain (few) roads the road noise in the Camry can be quite distracting! In those cases, a self-adjusting radio would be very welcome.

tidester, host
  • Options
    john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    Any preferences on replacement tires for the RDV? We have about 34k on our RDV and it's about time for our tires to get changed.

I know Nextmoon mentioned he picked up the Michelin LTX M&S Tires. And Fedlawman talked about the Dunlop SP Sport A2's, but the Dunlops seem to be more passenger car based, and I didn't see anyone who put then on a van, suv or cross-over vehicle. It seems the Michelin's
    might be good posibility. Any other ideas or possiblities???

Btw, we just had our A/C Condenser replaced under warranty. Thanks for any help w/ the tires.

John B.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Wow, what a coincidence! I've started thinking about tires too.

The Dunlop SP Sport is a great passenger car tire but I'm afraid it's not made in stock RDV size. Someone got them with a wheel/tire package over on the Aztek forum a while ago and they looked great.

I've heard great things about the Michelins and will probably go with either Cross Terrains or LTX, so I can keep the original wheels.

What's wrong with your A/C condenser? I'm getting mine replaced too...
  • Options
    Hey Brian, thanks for the reply. It's been a while since I've posted.

The guy at Buick said I had a hole in the condenser. I guess the thought is that perhaps we caught a rock while driving. I didn't actually see the hole though. My private mechanic says he's seen GM condensers come apart at the welds. He didn't even look at mine since it was still under warranty, thank God. It would have been aprox. $1,200 to fix according to the Buick guy. What's up w/ yours?

A local Costco is selling the Michelin LTX M&S tires. I rolled in there w/ a donut on my right rear since my wife had a flat. And yes, that jack is a pain to get out of the side compartment. Since the tires were pretty worn, I decided instead of fixing the flat I'd just get 4 new tires. They said there's a sale starting June 9th, so I'm planning on waiting and saving $65. In the meantime, they fixed my flat for free since I'm a member. I didn't realize they did that for tires that weren't purchased at Costco.

Since I have time, I thought I'd try to get opinions here on the forum about replacement tires. Also, my mechanic mentioned that the Michelins that Costco sells aren't the same as the one's other dealers carry. He says they're specially made for Costco and that the quality is not quite the same. Anyone know if this is true?

John B.
  • Options
    I don't post much anymore either. I do lurk a few days a week, though.

I have a "hole in the condenser" too. A likely story...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have some on my van (X Radial Plus, a clone of the X-One). Same treadwear rating, but mine may or may not have Durablack in them. Try the Tires, tires, tires discussion; the consensus seems to be that the main difference with most of the "warehouse" branded tires is just the "mold" markings.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    According to Motor Trend magazine, the next generation RDV will be based on this concept:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2003/detroit/highlights/h0- - 2-buick-centime.html

Looks like I'll be a GM customer for a while...
  • Options
    I've developed a water leak in the rear seats on the right side. When it rains heavily for a good while, water would start seeping in through the top of the door. I took a look and found that the inner rubber weather strip was squashed flat around the top where as the other area remained rounded. Took her into the dealer and was confirmed with a water test. I have to wait a few days for the weather strip to come in and replaced under warranty. The front passenger side weather strip seems to be flattening out too.

As for the tires, I do have the LTX M/S tires on my RDV for over 4K miles (I drive low miles). I researched the Cross Terrains and they do not come in stock RDV size. My other choice were the Yokohama Geolandar H/T Y816 but were not in stock at time of purchase. Check out www.tirerack.com for tire choices for your RDV.

For the "hole in the condenser" problem, what were the symptons prior to discovering your condenser needed to be replaced?
  • Options
    About 4 weeks ago we left a Mets/Giants game from PacBell park and it was a bit warm, believe-it-or-not, in SF. The a/c would not get cold at all. That was our symptom. As I said, the Buick service guy said the condenser had a "hole" in it, but it very well could have been a loosened weld.

My wife drive's the RDV about 97% of the time and I the other 3%. Since we already have 34k miles, for the next 2k miles we're switching cars. She puts on more miles than I do, plus I'm more concious of flaws, noises, etc... I don't want to get stuck w/ something after we pass our 36k warranty. Rest assured, I'll be checking everything thoroughly.

Btw, I just checked-out our weather stripping even though we've never experienced any leaks. All looks okay except the right rear "outer" stripping appears a bit flattened and is hard and glossy near the top right corner of the door. The rest is very soft and is not glossy at all. The left rear door stripping does not have the hard, flattened glossy area. I'll follow-up w/ my mechanic to get an opinion. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

As for the tires, are the Geolanders strictly a TireRack product? If so, how do you find someone to install, balance, etc. the tires you order. Will a regular tire shop do this? What kind of fee would you expect?

Are you pleased w/ the Michelins? From your earlier posts, it seems that you were quite happy w/ them. Thanks for any feedback you can give.

John B.
  • Options
    Thanks for the symptom info.

My weather strip problem may be just a fluke on my RDV. But if you want to check your weather stripping, you can take a garden hose and spray the top of the door openings for a few minutes. Regular spray from a garden hose should not get through the strip (same test dealer did).

The Geolanders are not strictly Tirerack.com products. They should be available in local tire shops but may be slightly harder to find then Michelins. I am quite pleased with the tires and expect they'll be lasting quite a long time. They are a great improvement over the OEM tires. Ordering them online cost slightly less than from a local store + tax. Tirerack has a list of tireshops in your local area that will mount them, some with price listing if I recall. I had mines mounted and balanced at a local discount chain auto parts for about $11/tire (NYC area).

Only thing I dislike is a noticeable sideways shifting from side to side when driving over draw bridges with medal grates in place of asphalt or concrete. It only happens when driving 50+ mph over the grates. The OEM tire shifted as well but less.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tire info. Since I've been doing a bit of research, I've learned lots about the tire process/options. The local Costco will install, balance and give their lifetime balancing/rotating service, plus fix future flats for $10 per tire. Hard to beat that.

Through it all though, I'll probably just go w/ the Ltx's. I can get them w/ installation & taxes for about $475. I could pick-up the Geolanders for about $366 out the door. I'm thinking for an extra $100 or so, the Ltx's may be the best way to go.

Re: the weatherstripping. I'm sure mine won't leak. The inner weather stripping looks perfect. I'll go ahead and give it a shot of water in the next day or so. One thing though. I can hear that window squeak as it hits that part of the weather stripping. I'll try to get the outer weatherstripping changed under the warranty.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

John B.
  • Options
    John - Good luck with your choice of tires. Let us know which tires your decide to go with and your impressions.

As for my weather strip (inner), it turns out it's on back order! I won't come in for another week (it will be 2 weeks) and there's rain forecasted tonight and next few days. I better leave my car cover on.
  • Options
    Put on your coats because hell is probably freezing over right now...I bought an Acura!

Don't worry, I still have the RDV.

I finally traded in my garage bay ornament ('93 Accord EX) and picked up a TSX.

It's awesome!
  • Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    Nothing wrong with an Acura (particularly "awesome" one's).

Gamera's getting close to 33K miles, so with the warranty about to go bye bye, I think I better start trying ALL the switches and features again to make sure evrything's in working order.

A/C is still blowing very cold, so I hope I've dodged the "hole" problem.

BTW, I finally got around to replacing my Indiana plates with Missouri one's and currently have an application in for "GAMERA" vanity plates. At only $15, I think it would be a hoot and I'm feeling pretty confident that the name's not taken yet.

CWJ
  • Options
    noastar1noastar1 Member Posts: 18
    My side mirror doesn't really tilt down very far and when I get in the car it tends to be pointed way up to the sky and out far away from the car. I reset it back and in a few days it's back looking way off to the side.

She's going into the shop soon to replace a panel, I was just curious if anyone has heard of this before.
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    A/C Condenser by john325 Jun 01, 2003 (2:37 pm) . Hey John and Fed, guess what. Driving up to The Jersey shore this past Friday and being it was a nice mild sunny day, I thought the AC would keep things comfortable. Never really touch the auto settings. Warm air came out of the AC vents, so I started playing with the controls and no cool air at all.Being the weaher was cool in the North East, we had no need for AC until this Friday.Based on what you guys are saying about "Condenser Problems" I am wondering if the last post I put up complaining of a vibration sound last month coming from the front of the car was the condenser rupturing or splitting at the welds. It was a brief buzzing vibration and then it was gone. Anyway, our RDV that my wife mostly drives has 9500 mi on it. Going to call Buick tomorrow and schedule an appointment to get it taken care of. Not too happy about this, butI'm glad it happened now rather then on the trip down to Florida the end of the month to see my Daughter and our new Granddaughter :-). Curious as to what they will find and if it is the condenser. I'll keep you all posted ~~
  • Options
    Welcome to the club, islandpete. Membership is exclusive and entirely free!

The "hole" in the condensor turned out to be a weld that came apart and allowed the freon to slowly leak out.

Apparently, there is a new part (a clip of some kind) that they will install with your new condensor that fixes the problem.
  • Options
    Has anyone found a good RDV accessory web site? I haven't had the urge to accessorize a vehicle this bad since my Jeep TJ. I don't know what it is but I feel my RDV is screaming to be personalized.

Specifically, I would love a full chrome front grill. I know, really flashy, but I bet it would be an eye catcher.

third part re-cargo organizer would be great to. I didn't get the organizer for the cargo area and would like other options.

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone has customized their RDV from a web store.
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
  • Options
    philly88 check the accessories section on my web page www.geocities.com/myersworld2001.
    ~Ken
  • Options
    I notice Fedlawman's name on your main page - are you two the same person??

tidester, host
  • Options
    No but thank you for the compliment. Brian is much younger and far more educated than I am and we live on different ends of the country. However I really enjoyed the comment Brain made in one of his post "Luxury family hauler by night..cargo/utility truck by day. I love this car" and felt the same way and put it on my web page.

I never asked Brian if he would mind me quoting him like that I hope he doesn't mind.

~Ken
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me know - I was curious!

tidester, host
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    Consider

www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=81751&BQ=tt

These flames can be installed/removed and should look something like this:

www.geocities.com/makogon/RDV2.gif

Regards,
    Taras
  • Options
    olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    DETROIT - General Motors is recalling about 107,000 model year 2002-03 Buick Rendezvous vehicles to repair a rear liftgate condition. All 2002 and some 2003 models are involved. Of the total, about 95,000 of the vehicles are in the U.S. and approximately 12,000 are in Canada.

In certain, very severe crash events, the liftgate structure around the latch reinforcement may fracture. The liftgate may separate from the latch assembly and open. This is not a case of the liftgate becoming unlatched. The latch assembly will hold the liftgate in position during normal driving conditions.

GM is aware of one crash where the liftgate tore away from the latch and opened. One occupant sustained an injury. While GM believes that the liftgate tearing away and opening during a crash is a very rare occurrence, it is taking the precaution of voluntarily recalling the vehicle for repair. Occupants should continue to wear their safety belts at all times to reduce the risk of injury in the event of any crash.

GM will remedy the condition by adding a metal strap between the inner and outer panel of the liftgate. This will be done at no cost to the owners.
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    John325 and Fed(Brian). Just came back from the dealership and the AC is working great again. After reading of your AC Condenser problems I thought for sure that was my problem also.Not so, it was the notorious BCM (Body Control Module). Seems the circuitry in the module that controls the AC compressor shorted out. That was the buzzing noise I heard. From previous posts months ago there was quite a lot of mention of the BCM. I thought once it mal-functioned that the vehicle would be dead in the water so to speak. When the BCM is replaced, they have to reprogram some settings and the keyfobs. Nothing like simplicity:-)Now do I wait for the condenser to go:-)?
  • Options
    Glad to hear your condenser was okay. I'd keep an eye on it, especially when you're nearing about 30k or so. I believe that's where fedlawaman's is at, and we are at about 34,500.

As I know the BCM's are Achilles heals on the RDV's, I'm trying to keep close tabs on things that may be BCM related, but as of now, I haven't found any BCM problems. I've been watching the mirrors carefully because it seems that's one "main area" where the BCM problems show up. I'd appreciate any suggestions, if anyone has any, on how to determine if the BCM is going out. As a last resort, I suppose I could have my mechanic hook up the analyzer to the engine just to see if it pulls any error codes. Other ideas???

Brian: congarats on that new Accura. Will you be applying Klasse to it? Enjoy...

John B.
  • Options
    Thanks! I will put the Klasse on it sometime soon. I have plenty left since I haven't had to wax my RDV since 2001!
  • Options
    I looked back, but don't see a post about Klasse. What are you reffering to? Is it a type of wax?
  • Options
    Klasse is the best wax (polymer) I've ever used.

Check out their "all-in-one" here:

http://www.properautocare.com/
  • Options
    Looks like a good product, I'd love to try it, but at 22.95 USD for the smallest bottle buying that in Canadian funds would be about $30 plus shipping for me. That's a bit much for a small amount, but I'll keep my eyes open for it in stores and see if its any cheaper than ordering it online. Until then I'll stick with my Meguiar's wax. I like the results, but I do need to reapply ever 6 to 8 weeks to keep it the way I like it. Do you know of any franchise stores that carry Klasse?
  • Options
    I don't know any other way to get it.

Don't worry about the small amount. Just a few dabs on a damp cloth is enough to wax your entire car.

That little bottle will wax your car dozens of times!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) discussion has good info too.

Steve, Host