Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Another thing to think about...

I've heard the radio mechanics talk about running low causing the pump to wearout/fail sooner. The gasoline cools the ppump in the tank. When the gas is very low or runs out, there's no lubrication or cooling, therefore the pump doesn't last as long as it could.

Might be better to put in a couple gallons and go on to the cheaper area. Here we can have 25 cent different some days due to competition from Sams and Grocery (Kroger) gas stations holding price in other stations down.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Another thing to think about when you run your tank that low is the sediment or junk that settles near the bottom of the tank. It can be sucked into the fuel filter and into the fuel injectors which could cause some real problems.

Is that worth a few cents in savings?

~Ken
  • Options
    nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    I've noticed from the DIC (I guess you don't have that) that just before the low fuel warning comes on, the fuel range remaining reads between 40-45 km (25-27 miles)at normal driving. Of course if you are gunning it, the range would be significantly less.
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    About 25 miles worth.
    The tank had 1/2 gallon in it at the gas station after driving about 15 miles with the low fuel warning.
  • Options
    cigar95cigar95 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the input, guys - including the suggestions not to push it to the bottom. (I rarely do, but sometimes it just works out that way.)

It sounds like maybe when the gauge is pointing to the red line at the bottom of the scale, the tank really is darn near empty. In my older car ('96 Prizm), "empty" really meant about two gallons left.

If the tank really does hold 18.0 gallons, this would be a simple way to test it. But with gas prices going up so fast right now, my tendency is to fill up before they go up again.
  • Options
    dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    My wife was driving our similar GM van and saw the "range" calculation start dropping like seconds on a microwave, the needle then started dropping too and before she could get to an exit less than 2 miles away she ran out of gas!

Moral - Think of a ice cream cone, the volume of a 1" drop at the beginning is much more than the bottom 1", so it drops like a stone at the very end.

Don't risk a lot for few cents, get a gallon or two.

DD
  • Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    The opinions are all fine, but let's give cigar the answer he requested. Gamera's low gas indicator turns on when 16 gallons have been consumed plus or minus 0.2 gallons. If the tank really holds 18 gallons then you have 2 gallons to spare.

Regards, CWJ
  • Options
    noastar1noastar1 Member Posts: 18
    I doubt anyone here remembers me, but I used to have a Pontiac Aztek which was repurchased by Pontiac after tons of problems over the course of a year. Each time I took it into the shop it'd come back with a new problem.

Well, I got a RDV in December to replace it and had very few problems. I moved due to medical school and the dealer here did a great and speedy job of repairing and there was just a tiny little buzz coming from the rear during songs with lots of bass. I was heading home for X-mas break and decided to take it to the shop there for the buzz. This also happened the be the shop I used to take the Aztek to. After them finding a whole host of problems (after 5hrs in a waiting room) they ordered tons of parts and when all was said in done two visits later I found tons of stuff broken. The rear captain chair seat was busted, both rear quarter panels covering the speakers were busted, and the whole rear end had plast flopping around from broken fasteners.

It was at that moment when I realized there likely wasn't anything wrong with the Aztek, it was the dealership breaking stuff on accident or intentionally. I took it back to the one where i live now (after calling GM about it) and they've been trying to fix everything that the other dealership broke and doing a pretty good job. But there's still so much buzzing from the rear since all the plastic panels have been rebuilt over and over. They told me last time there was nothing more they could do, but they'll ask GM.

I like the radio loud with lots of bass and the buzzing is just driving me crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions???
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Unfortunately, these problems are usually better solved by yourself as opposed to the dealer. I've read some horror stories on other town hall boards about damage that dealers have inflicted while "fixing" cars.

All cars from Chevy's to M-B's suffer from buzzing or rattling to some extent, and of course, most mechanics cannot even hear them (selective deafness is a common affliction with dealership service writers).

I would have someone drive your car while you climb in back and systematically dampen the buzzes with old t-shirts. Once they are identified, you can pad the offending plastic panels with adhesive felt or cloth, or fill the cavities with foam insulation (like cut pieces from a sleeping pad).

I did this to a '91 Sentra SE-R way back when and it worked great...although at the time, my girlfriend thought I was nuts (she married me anyway).

Never fear...you are not alone. Those little noises drive me crazy too!
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Well, after the blizzard of '03 left my RDV buried in my driveway for a week, I dug her out. Three days later when I went to use my window washer fluid, nothing came out. Checked my fluid levels and pump and all was find. Turned out the line leading to the nozzle froze up. The line looked pretty thin in diameter compared to some other cars. Waited a day that went into the lower 40's and the fluids are flowing again. Lesson learned here is to dig out as soon as possible after a snow storm.
  • Options
    It may be your fluid in the bottle had been diluted -- not 100% -20 degree fluid. Sometimes I mix mine half-half in fall and spring. If you don't use all that, your may have frozen.

Too the alcohol may have evaporated out the end of the line so the mixture near the opening was less than the amount necessary to prevent freezing down to -20 or so.

Suggest in cold weather keep 100% low freezing point solution. And use the squirters in cold weather often to keep the 100% fluid in the line.

• Options
    wws2wws2 Member Posts: 23
    Is the 'buzzing' from a loose panel (or something) while your stereo is playing?

If so, find a 'test CD'. One that plays test tones through the stereo system in order to tune things. You may find that the 'buzz' only happens at certain frequencies. This makes finding the point of the noise much easier for the tech to find. (Assuming a competent dealership.)

I did this with a 'buzz' in one of the doors in my Suburban several years ago. The tech found a wire that was routed wrong inside the door during assembly. Once corrected things have been fine since. The tech was so impressed with the test CD he wrote down the info and was going to buy a copy for himself. (BTW, it was a cheap one that I bought at a local music store called Bass Mekanik. Much better ones are available for the serious audiophile.)
  • Options
    imidazol97 - You make very good points and I do follow the same guidelines myself.

My washer fluid was "fresh" - under a month old. I had the 99 cents stuff previously which seems to freeze over pretty easily this winter in both of my cars. So I got some RainX washer fluids ($3+) seeing how it's rated down to -34 or something like that. Put a whole bottle in with the previous liquids.

I think that some of the washer line is exposed to the elements instead of hidden under the hood helped it freeze up. My other car's washer (regular under the hood) worked fine and I can see it freezing over at the nozzle with the squirts getting less each time.
  • Options
    90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    I have a very early RDV (7/01) and I still can't get used to the horn. It won't honk when I want it to. Horns are usually needed at the spur of the moment. A push in the general area of the horn should produce a sound. I have to PLAN AHEAD to AIM and PRESS SOLIDLY to get the desired effect.

Has there been any improvement in the 03's? I know that many have spoken of difficult horns in GM cars in general.
  • Options
    nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    Horn really sucks. My RDV replaced an Olds and the Olds' horn was fine. Any other car I've ever driven had no horn issue, many GM's.
  • Options
    I think I'll have to try the climbing in the back. I have a CD that makes it buzz like crazy and I listen to a lot of techno so that makes it go crazy too. It's definately the panels which have been replaced repeatedly due to dealer damage. It's not hard to find it's very very loud and happens constantly.
  • Options
    A horn that doesn't blow immediately is a safety hazard. Have
    you checked the NHTSA website for notices or recalls. You
    probably can leave a complaint there so if others have similar
    problems, NHSTA can check into it.

• Options
    I also find the horn hard to activate. I have to really press hard into it to get it to sound. Several times I have needed to beep my horn to warn other cars/pedestrians and nothing comes out.
  • Options
    duke36duke36 Member Posts: 15
    What a timing -= I was going to type a post about "the horn". I just arrived from my first oil change and I had the guys take a look at my horn - it is so hard to activate that I find it a serious hazard - the technician even had a suppervisor take a look at it and they say that it is just the same as the Montana -that the air bag make it a bad design- I have to live with it.

I also have a Saturn with an air bag on the wheel and it has two switches to activate the horn and it works just fine -mind you it is a $10 000 cheaper car.
    They should have a recall on this - this is not acceptable.
  • Options
    Indeed I noticed the same opportunity for improvement of the horn. I managed to use the horn only 1-2 times. In several other cases I couldn't find the right place to press on the steering wheel.

The steering wheel has only 2 or 3 places that allow a driver to use the signal: in the center of the steering wheel and at the horn signs.

The signal requires the driver to take one hand off the steering wheel, which may create an unsafe handling situation. I suggest you practice in a safe spot (e.g. garage) and familiarize yourself with the horn operation in advance. You won't have time to do that in traffic.

On the positive side a silent horn shows more class as a loaded Rendezvous is an entry level luxury auto.

Regards,
    Taras
  • Options
    This may be a dream come true for some. The Ultra edition of the 2004 RDV will offer a 3.6 DOHC engine producing 255 HP! Check out the full article at: http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=05822049
  • Options
  • Options
    I was anxious to read this article.

I can't wait to read the print article to see the actual scoring breakdown.

PS: Why did a road test editor manually turn on the headlights during the daytime, incorrectly adjust the instrument lights, and then complain that the instruments were hard to read? Duh!
  • Options
    it was because the Rendezvous is a domestic vehicle rather than a BMW.

But I think you've made this observation from time to time yourself, no?

CWJ
  • Options
    cgarthwacgarthwa Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. My CX is about 1 year and 4 months old, it has 50,000 miles on it (almost all highway, I commute 140 miles to work every day). I took the car in for its 50,000 mile transmission flush and they told me that the transmission is burning fluid and that it needs at least a rebuild maybe a replacement.

Needless to say this is horrible news and will cost at least $3,000.

They are talking to GM to see if I can get some relief, seeing as it is a new car with almost all highway miles and SHOULDN'T need a new transmission this soon.

Anyone have else have problems with their transmission?
  • Options
    I'm feeling kinda zen about the RDV and the other 'utes these days. As a group, they're just not very exciting.

The RDV, like the others in this class, is an extremely competent, versatile, comfortable, sure-footed, safe, luxurious, and feature laden family hauler.

How much more do you need from a sub-$30K, 2-ton, 7 passenger, road leviathan?
  • Options
    And speaking of BMW...

I'm getting close to replacing my '93 Accord. These days, much of my internet time is spent over in the edmunds.com "coupes and convertibles" area and at bmwusa.com.

Now that is something to get excited about!
  • Options
    john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    Sorry to hear about your transmission problems. I recalled and confirmed I was correct that someone had reported a similar problem only about a week ago on the Rendezvous Problems & Solutions Forum. Hope this link helps you, and good luck w/ GM...

jess33 "Rendezvous Owners: Problems & Solutions" Mar 5, 2003 12:29am

John B.
  • Options
    Gamera fulfills his role to a tee. Excitement is not a part of it, but contentment surely is.

Good luck in new car hunt!!

CWJ
  • Options
    Like so many things in life, the thrill of the hunt can be just as satisfying as the acquisition...
  • Options
    >PS: Why did a road test editor manually turn on the headlights during the daytime, incorrectly
    >adjust the instrument lights, and then complain that the instruments were hard to read? Duh!

The reason is to find more to comment on negative about RDV. It's the consumer reports magazine tactic. Mark all the negative adjectives and connotations in the RDV part, then go through each of the others. Mark the postives that are with negatives in a different highlighter.
    In RDV the negatives are many and alone. In other car's reviews, negatives, if they have to
    be given, are mitigated by putting a positive right along with them or by making a directly mitigating comment about the negative.

Try this on Consumer Reports. Something negative about a GM car one month is okay with a
    foreign brand car the next month. There used to be a TV program weekly on PBS that did the
    same thing.... Was it called MotorWeek?

90% of RDV drivers aren't going to try to drive offroad or like
    a sports car. Their criticisms in many cases were praise to a driver
    wanting to replace a sedan who doesn't go "stump-hopping" or "boulder-creeping" and all those other things I'd never do to a car.

• Options
    I don't think they do it on purpose.

Honda's are nice cars...they just feel right. The Pilot has an airy cabin, quality materials, and a nice, comfortable ride. Then consider room for 8, good cargo space, a powerful V-6, and it's no wonder they prefer the Pilot.

Even though the RDV handles better, is quieter, more luxurious, has more cargo space, more features, and sells for about $5000 less on the street...it just doesn't possess that certain je ne sais quois that critics are looking for.

Personally, I regularly use the additional 20 cu. ft. of cargo space, and I also enjoy the plush ride, heated seats, 2 driver memory, kick-a** stereo, and moonroof.
  • Options
    >it just doesn't possess that certain
    >je ne sais quois
    > that critics are looking for.
    What does that mean? I hope it's not FRENCH
    these days...
    You made my point exactly. The self-annointed elitists doing
    reports don't represent the needs and wishes of most drivers.
    Instead they are filling paper to impress a few of their own ilk
    who put value on things most don't. You find utility in the cargo
    room, e.g.
    I'm curious about the quality materials in the Pilot. I've ridden in
    Accords and Accuras on the way to golf, and I never felt they were
    better materials than my LeSabres...
    Perhaps I need to visit a honda showroom... to
    take a look.
    By the way, is the Car and Driver mag one of those owned by
    the French corporation mentioned on 60 minutes a week ago and
    the French corp shared offices with an Iraqi group set up as a front
    for purchases in France????

• Options
    Well kids we have to face up to some of this though. I like my RDV, don't get me wrong. GM offers a lot of extras and goodies that other car's don't even give you an option for (XM, HUD). But they are still lacking in the fit and finish dept. If you walk around your car you'll see that the gaps on the exterior aren't even, the weather stripping probably isn't that even. Move to the interior and You'll notice a lot of the parts don't fit together as well as they should. For example under my steering wheel there's a small gap that lets you see wires under the dash. It's not a defect, it was just made that way. There's other little things here and there.

You don't find so much of this on a Honda or Toyota. Doesn't mean it's a bad car, just means GM has a way to go before the Fit matches the finish.

The downfall to my kickin stereo is that I still haven't found time to crawl in the back with foam tape and kill the rattles coming from the plastic panels. (Though I'm sure this would be the case in any car with a stereo this big).

Until I see a HUD on another brand I don't plan on buying anything other than GM, but I do see why other people would. I'm a detailing nut and so those gaps bug the living daylights outta me if I think about'em.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    GM is capable of better fit n finish. Take a look at a Cadillac CTS and you can see how good it is. I think you will continue to see improvements in other divisions in the coming years.
  • Options
    ------------RDV---Pilot.
    engine-------6------9.
    driveline-----7------9.
    handling-----6------9.
    road ride----6------9.
    comfort------7-----10.
    off-road------6------9.
    amenities---9------7.
    fit/finish-----7-----10.
    value---------7-----10.
    styling------5------8.
    fun to drive-5------8.

I did a little checking (I have my sources) and learned that Honda executives actually performed the testing and then provided the C&D editors with their results.
  • Options
    That may be, but I believe C&D make objective reviews. An example of that is one of their early RDV reviews at
    http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2001/July/2- 00107_roadtest_buickrendezvous.xml?Manufacturer=Buick&Name=Re- ndezvous&class=18

Also with the new engine expect the 0-60 times to improve to the sub-8 second range. That and replacing the fake pressed aluminum salon finish should improve the critics' opinions.

I do find that RDV is maneuverable, but even with the 7-inch ground clearance the suspension is too soft. My experiment in urban off-roading (trying to slowly roll over a curb to cut through a parking lot) resulted in scraping the curb once. If GM adds variable damping suspension, this should improve the handling reviews and increase sales as well.

Nevertheless, I still hold that RDV is the best value in urban UVs
    (ref. post tmakogon "Mercedes-Benz M-class vs Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer vs Buick Rendezvous vs Acura MDX" Oct 16, 2002 11:11pm ).

Regards,
    Taras
  • Options
    I really don't see what's wrong with the RDV aside from fit tolerances. The materials are generally pleasant and quiet. Then engine moves the car at a respectable pace and the gas mileage isn't horrid. I can pass someone if need be without any worry. Do I really need to guzzle even more gas for a sub 8 second 0-60 time??? How often during the day do we actually floor the accellerator?? I've probably done it 2 or three times and half of those were just for fun.

As for the offroading? Well, no matter how you cut it, she's a buick and not really meant for that anyway. Aside from the parking lot rampage and an occasional dirt path; who's really going rock climbing in an RDV anyway. The lower the ground clearance the better the stability. The only reason to make the car higher is to say you can go offroad (something most people won't do) but you give us stability (something everyone needs). Same deal with the suspension. The cushy ride is great on the highway which is where the car will be most of its life.

I dunno. Aside from puting what they aready have together a little tighter, I don't see anything wrong with this car. Okay, the windows could roll up a little faster. Does anyone know why they go up so slow (especially when moving them all at the same time)?
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    noastar1, now you have the proper attitude and typify us RDV ownwers. Welcome aboard:) It's not perfect, but what truly is and at a much higher price to boot(competition). It suits my needs and thats all that counts. One imperfection brought up a number of times was the horn and it's dificulty in getting it to blow with out stomping on it with your foot:) Have you tried yours yet. As someone suggested, there should be a recall on this serious problem.
  • Options
    Anyone can compare the complaints in Toyota Highland, Problems & Sol.
    Rattles, wind suction noise with windows down, tire noise,....

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    All of the other vehicles in the C&D will cost more than a Rendezvous after GM discounts and incentives. One other thing to note is the Rendezvous pricing (FWD CX) starts at a MUCH lower point than all of the other vehicles meaning materials are made for a vehicles a notch lower on the cost scale.
  • Options
    duke36duke36 Member Posts: 15
    I have bought a Rendez-vous last summer after 16 months of shopping and comparaison. It is not the most powerfull, the best engine/transmission etc but it has a great interior, great ride and is very versatile.
    Whenever you make such a purchase, you have to consider the value vs your need. At some point you have to give in on some stuff - Sure there are cheaper ("vans")with less and more expensive ones that have more - but I could not find a better value vehicle. Seats 7, great leather interior, tows 3500lbs, great ride, on-board computer, galivanized steel exterior, lots of storage, etc. (my only complain is for the hard-to-active-horn).
    I would have liked a life-gate and an manual transmission, but there was my compromise.
  • Options
    dmingerdminger Member Posts: 10
    I bought my RDV CXL about 6 weeks ago. I love this car!! The whole experience has been great. Anyway, I have another "question". I love the DIC display where it can tell me instant and average MPG. Does anyone know where the "sweet spot" is located for obtaining maximum MPG? If I use Cruise Control, is maximum MPG at 60 Mph? 65 mph? Lets assume only one person (driver) is onboard. Does anyone know? This is a FWD. Thanks!!
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Here's the link to the 2004 information:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?G12D22DE3
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Wonder what happened to the Rendezvous Ultra.
  • Options
    jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
    Just ran a 360+ mile trip back north. DIC showed 31.7 MPG on the trip up (very lightly loaded cargo/ driver only). 29.7 MPG return (medium load cargo / driver only). 30.7 average highway.

What MPH, you ask?

Used cruise control the whole way.
    58 MPH.
    Around 1800 RPM on the Tach.

Would have tried 57 MPH but didn't want to be too slow on the highway.

BTW. They can keep the new engine if the EPA estimates go down. Since I live in rather flat terrain, I'd rather have mileage over sprint times.

I purchased a Buick not a Porsche!
  • Options
    2004 CXL will have an optional navigation system.

code: UM8

Sound system, multimedia, with navigation, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player, includes seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, speed-compensated volume, TheftLock, Radio Data System (RDS) and premium 8-speaker system

Picture at
    http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/images/lightduty/radios/10345735-gmt257- .jpg

Thanks for the link beach15.

Regards,
    Taras
  • Options
    Islandpete,

I agree, it's all compromise. Sure there are tid bits here I see on other cars and think "hey that'd be cool." But if I had those cars I would have given up a lot of other stuff such as the HUD, XM, and Killer stereo. Options you just don't find anywhere else. Sure, another car might have a rear seat heater, but honestly. How often do you carry passengers in the winter? (keep in mind I'm a single college student).

My gas mileage hasn't been great. I get about 15mpg driving to and from school. It's about 3 miles and there's 3 stoplights and most of the time I'm idle. When I do drive the highways I get about 22mpg. Still not great considering my old Aztek's 27-30mpg. But she's a good deal heavier.

Oh, and personally I don't give C/D the time of day. I wrote them a letter once asking them why they praised certain cars with histories of horrid crash scores, lowsy cargo room, and other day to day practicalities and the reply said they're audience is driving enthusiasts and things like crash scores don't really matter to them. The idea is if a car can handle well you won't get in an accident in the first place. It was such a load of you know what. So yeah, I look at some of the news headlines there, but there reviews are so unbelievably biased and look at the driving fun, not the daily use. It'd be fine if they tested sports cars, but who wants to read a review of a family sedan, minivan, or SUV when the review is comparing them like they were two seater convertibles.

My only problem now is fixing the interior. I washed and waxed her on Friday and noticed that the rear speaker cover in the third row seats is falling off again and that the plast quarterpanel above it is hanging down. If anyone remembers I've had almost the entire rear plastic trim replaced after a dealership I took it to over my winter break managed to mangle the whole rear end. Anyhow. She's in the shop constantly for interior problems one after another caused by replacing all the parts due to that dealership (I take her to a new one now). Hopefully I can get this fixed and she'll actually make it a whole month without being at the shop.
  • Options
    olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    Hello everyone,
    I am a newcomer here and a owner of a beatitul black RDV CXL AWD with 1200 miles. So far everything is running fine.
    I just wish it would have more power but we couldnt pass the 10% off the 35k MSRP, 3500 rebates and 2500 GM points, and wait for the 04 RDV Ultra with the new V6 DOHC engine, 255HP. Same as on the 04 Caddy CTS .
    For a 35k car with the trailing package, I was surprised that it did not have the hitch. Dealer asked for almost 700 dollars for hitch and harness installed including taxes.
    I place an order the www.gmpartsdirect.com for 228.20 + 20% SH. I am still waiting for the delivery.
    Does anyone here have installed a GM one? Any instructions or figures? All the GM sites just show a picture of one but installed.
    Thanks for your reply.