Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    It's great to see that so many other Rendezvous owners have duplicated my foul weather experiences with Gamera. The vehicle is simply very very well behaved in the snow and and other forms of yuck. In fact, It's a real eye opener and not a little bit disconcerting when I'm sure-footedly tooling along and then see some other SUV "lose it."

I don't have any real reason to complain about Gamera's powerplant, but for those who measure life in terms of horsepower, a new engine would remove the one "legitimate" complaint that the critics have been able to throw against the Rendezvous. Then what will they say.

CWJ
  • Options
    artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    My son and daughter-in-law have a brand new 2003 RDV. It is very comfortable in all rows. I am 6'2" and specifically sat in row 3 just for a test. It was quiet and comfortable back there but I did have the second row moved forward.

They have had two problems: a bad sensor for detecting a loose gas cap caused the check engine light to come on. He had it back the day after delivery and apparently all the dealer did was reset the code. This past weekend it happened again. The RDV is at the dealer as we speak waiting for a new sensor to be delivered this morning. I caulk that up to a minor problem. I know of three people, two of whom own Mazdas with the same problem and the third was in a 2002 Jetta.

The second problem is an infestation of very small ants in the right windshield "A" pillar. That might have happened at the dealer since the RDV had been there a couple of months.
  • Options
    montreidmontreid Member Posts: 127
    The new releases that I've read state that the RDV is doing expected, and they're happy with the increased sales since year one. They mention minor changes in '04 (engine and interior touch-ups), and a refit in '07. The Rainier won't replace because of the truck base and just expands the Trailblazer line into Buick.

I believe that the crossover segment is here to stay. A large portion doesn't want the soccer mom image of the mini, and want the sedan ride, but truck look....thus crossover and success of all these types of vehicles.....

CW, I agree that the current engine does well enough for the job...except 45-65 acceleration onto the freeway. Whether the entire value engine (that's what GM is dubbing the old OHV engines) is going out vs an option stepup, I believe that those "critics" won't stop until it becomes standard. Thus, I hope that Buick (hey, you admin people!) realizes that people read C/D, Edmunds, and the likes.
  • Options
    I think that's the weakest segment of the Rendezvous' peformance, and as I've noticed in several discussions here and elsewhere in T/H, it's a MPH range to which many enthusiasts (and car mags) are sensitized. So it doesn't surprise me that the vehicle gets dinged as harshly as it does. However, it's not hard to compensate for this weakness when you know its there. In fact, in doing so, I'm more likely to end up running up the Butt of cars on the on-ramps here and throttling back than I am to be caught slow running out of space. (Kansas City is the only place I've lived where many people actually treat that number by the side of the road as a speed LIMIT, rather than as a #+5 minimum.)

OTOH, Gamera gets away from a light and tools around town as well as anything short of squeeling tires, and the vehicle has surprisingly good passing response from highway speed as I found numerous times getting around semi's on two lane state and US routes back in Indiana and Ohio.

Plus, we just got back from a trip to Colorado and found no problems keeping up speed and power making the 2500 foot vertical pull up out of Denver west on I70. Indeed, we had not even realized we had climbed that high that fast until our hosts pointed it out to us. In fact, tooling around the ski resorts at 9,000 feet didn't seem to phase Gamera at all.

CWJ
  • Options
    cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    Thanks for the info about the future of the RDV. Sorry to hear it may have a short life cycle. I still have not found a better ride and funtional interior that the RDV. The center console is second to none and because I am more into MPG than "jumping" onto the hwy ramp, I didn't have a problem with the power of the engine. But I would imagine there will be a price drop on the 2003s when the new V6s roll out.

I still may buy one in spite of it's future.

BTW, any guesses on the state of the rebate next week ? The 2003s are currently at $ 3,000 or the 0% financing. Is $4,000 probable or down to $ 2,000 or down to ZERO ?
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    I don't really know if the RDV is going to phased out or not, it was just a bit of insight on my part. I doubt Buick would have two vehicles built off the same platform with the only sifference being whether or not the doors slide open or swing open. CHances are with the redesign in 06-07, Buick will try and aim the RDV at a younger crowd, giving it more aggressive styling, larger wheels and tires, the higher-horsepower engine and possible more "infotainment" which the younger group tends to like (i would know, I'm one of them).

The mini-SUV will probably appeal to the new "Dorm Room" demographic which Honda is positioning their new Element towards. The Rainier will... well, be the Rainier... How many SUV's does GM have on that GMT-360 platform now? The Envoy, Trailblazer, Bravada, Rainier, Caddy SVX, that one Isuzu thing... geez, that's a little overkill especially since when it comes down to it they're all pretty much similar.

As far as price goes, I have a feeling it should stay pretty similar except for the standard GM 3-5% increase per year. I believe that's the "inflation surcharge." With the new engine actually costing GM less money to manufacture since it's a global engine and they'll be selling more units, chances are the new power will not come at a premium, but it will probably run on premium gas since it's a DOHC 4-valve engine and those types are engines like at least 89 octane gas to fire correctly.

By the way, one of you was talking about acceleration from 45-65 MPH on the highway. I had that problem, if you could call it a problem too. So I went out and bought a K&N Air Filter (FilterCharger) for the RDV. After installing it (gee that was fun...) I noticed a pretty good improvment on mid-range 2nd and 3rd gear power. It seems a little extra air into the mixture really makes a difference w/ these cars. Those filter kits have been known to see as much at 15 or 20 extra HP in small application engines so you guys might want to look into that for a little extra umph.

~Lance
  • Options
    CW, I thought those speed numbers were max RPM limits ;) Seriously, out here in Central Cali, the posted is 65, but quite literally 70 is the middle lane with 75-85 in the far right. The entrance ramps aren't the ones like back in Michigan (were we had 1/4 miles), but more like the Boston entrance ones (1/8 mile). Nerve racking at times when I'm fully loaded, the semi can't move over because the middle is occupied, and I'm running out of room.

Our RDV climbs fairly well too, though it does drop a gear to keep at 75MPH while coming up the nearby pass. I really love the transmission. It shifts very smoothly, and I have to concentrate to notice the downshift. Hope the new engines are like taht. Totally true about the local driving. No drag racing needed, but the gripe on the 45-65 is my only one. Heck, used to driving rocket pocket 4-cyclinders (Sentra SE-R, Volvo 40).

cfocfo, take the dive! Buy...we've been waiting for awhile now :) You can't beat the center console. We're looking to mount a GPS/Nav on the underside of the center console..... :)
  • Options
    Again I agree. It's very smooth and picks its gears wisely. Some people ding the Rendezvous for downshifting on the hills (as if it was not supposed to), when I think you and I just see a well matched transmission efficiently doing its job and making the most of the ponies that the 3.4 has to give.

CWJ
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I noticed today for the first time that the rubber boot on the gear selector is really busted out. Not sure when or how it happened. Does anyone know if it is covered under warranty?

~Ken
  • Options
    john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    Hi Ken. We had the rubber boot changed a few months ago when we read about it being an issue here on the forum. It is covered under the warranty. I just reported over on the "RDV/Problems & Solutions Forum" that we're having a new transmission installed (26k miles). We're grateful that we were still under the warranty period when it went out.

Anyway take care. Our Best to to everyone on the Forum, especially the pioneers: CWJ, Fedlawman, Buzzbo, IslandPete, etc...

Go 9ers,
    John B.
  • Options
    Was Dorene1 one of the people with bad valve springs? I remember her, but can't for the life of me remember specifics about how we and she interacted.

What is it about so many MDX'ers that they have to take down the Rendezvous in order to better enjoy their vehicles? Could it be that they just simply resent the tendency for the market to more likely cross-shop an Acura against a "lowly" Buick rather than more "worthy" competition like a Lexus or MB.

I guess I'll never understand.

CWJ
  • Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    Here's a recent (12/27/02) review from the Washington Times: Recent objective, imho, review of the RDV in the Washington Times: http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend/20021227-79781968.htm
  • Options
    Brian I have enjoyed this board for over a year now. I have visited most of the other owners clubs and can honestly say this is one of the more friendly and informative ones out there. I can't recall a negative or snide remark towards her that would make her feel threatened or as she put it "attacked and/or mocked".

Maybe she came into some money recently and now feels embarrassed by her old ties to Buick. ( You know no luxury tax and all )

I hope this board don't change I look forward to reading it every chance I get.

~Ken
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The topic is the Rendezvous. Individuals and speculations about them are off topic.

tidester, host
  • Options
    buzzbo99buzzbo99 Member Posts: 111
    Thanks for the Rendezvous forecast. I think the van qualities of this vehicle are what attracted me in the first place. I cannot use a van because I would have to remove the seats to carry my tools and put them back in to carry people. The gas milage and ride are perfect for me. I still love my RDV.

Are their any milage predictions for the new engine? I definitely do not miss the milage I used to receive on my truck platform vehicles.

A friend of mine came over with his wife's new Chrysler mini van. I really liked the power rear hatch. I sure wish GM would consider this option.

John, I just wanted to let you know I was still around lurking.
  • Options
    Interesting design that I also see on a few other cars, Toyota has one, Matrix ? .

Apparently these engineers don't change lanes on the highway, the only thing with more blind spots is Stevie Wonder.
  • Options
    Clever - but let's be a bit more sensitive to the visually impaired. Many do use braille readers for use on the internet.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Please update your profile and provide us with a current valid email address. It's required by the Terms of Use (Town Hall Terms of Use)

tidester, host
  • Options
    You probably made a typo, it IS current and valid.
  • Options
    ssurgeontssurgeont Member Posts: 8
    To host PLEASE,Do we need to be so politically correct?Like blind people dont have a sense of humor? A blind spot is a blind spot and it is an acceptable term describing what it says.
  • Options
    Like blind people dont have a sense of humor?

Of course they do. Naming an individual went a bit far IMO. I think it would be inappropriate, e.g., to start a thread titled "What would Jose Feliciano drive?"

tidester, host
  • Options
    cnevillecneville Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a Buick RDV, and am thinking of getting the All-Speed Traction Control option. Could anyone please tell me what are the benefits of this option, as I can't seem to find an explanation of it?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Well, because my wife is considering the RDV when she needs to buy a Van/SUV this July, I decided to buy another rear wheel drive "boat" to hold 10 years again, (Mercury, this time.)

It was a very quick visit to the dealership to pick up the car after much research here, (thanks Edmunds) and going through the dealer inventories on line. After the F&I manager at the dealership saw my 10 year old trade-in, found out I was paying cash, and saw me shaking my head side ways for 30 seconds as he asked about extended warranties, undercoating, and blah, blah, blah .... he said sarcasticly, "so you're the guy keeping the car industry going so strong". We both cracked up laughing for 2 minutes. (Maybe you had to be there.)

Anyway, the people on this board, (RDV) are definitely the most helpful, civil, straight-shooting, and enjoyable people I've seen on Edmunds during this car buying process.

Learned a ton, Good luck, and enjoy your Buick Rendezvous!

And lastly, Mr Wonder, no ill intentions intended.
  • Options
    (I have to answer ONE car question before signing off ;)

cneville ... the FWD RDV I was lining up had the traction control option because it checks (many times per second,) the spinning speed delta between the wheels using the ABS system info and then automatically applies and releases the rear brakes in conjuntion with engine torque reductions to help increase traction on slippery roads.

I'm not big on getting many options, but IMO, traction control on the FWD was a good one.
  • Options
    The strength of this board is to get a second opinion, because who knows ?
    Maybe it's a $151 button on the dash that just makes you think you aren't spinning your wheels.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    The traction control slows the wheel that is spinning faster than
    the other front wheel by applying the brake on the wheel that
    is spinning. The logic is apparently the faster wheel is slipping
    and has less traction; therefore control its speed and the other
    wheel with traction will get the power and continue to pull the
    vehicle.

This function was a small step added to the antilock braking
    system. It's antilock in reverse.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    dmingerdminger Member Posts: 10
    I have a question for everybody. I read in this board (somewhere) where someone said that the MPG for an AWD would be basically the same as an FWD model if the AWD was not being used. I know the AWD system kicks in automatically when necessary. So, if I buy an AWD RDV, will it get the ~26MPH that the FWD gets if the AWD doesnt kick in (i.e. no snow encountered, etc..). Thanks!!
  • Options
    buzzbo99buzzbo99 Member Posts: 111
    I love my AWD system. But it does add 400 lbs to the weight of the vehicle. So in my opinion if you put an extra 400 lbs in the back of your front wheel drive RDV they should get the same milage.
  • Options
    I also have the AWD, and agree with Buzzbo on his 400 pound comment. I would also throw in that I would think that the AWD system wouldn't be completely frictionless even when not in operation. My experience is that it kicks in virtually instantaneously when needed. That would be one heck of a shock to the system if it had to spool up from zero.

As a practical matter, I've experienced highway mileages in the lower half of the twenties depending upon wind, hills, and speed, but I've never consistently gotten mileages above 25 like some of the FWD owners here.

CWJ
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I agree with the above postings that AWD will have a slight penalty on mileage per gallon. There will be components in motion in the AWD even if doing only FWD. Hence, you will need to perform scheduled maintenance for the AWD components in addition to the regular stuff.
  • Options
    I checked the pressures after the flat got fixed. 28PSI throughout except the flat, which was 35PSI. I charged them up nearby the home ~1 mile, then went home.

The next day, go 2 miles onto the freeway the LOW pressure monitor sets off! I guess it works both ways on the Delta from whatever baseline is. Interesting way to monitor pressure, regardless.

So, I would recommend resetting the tire pressure monitor after each time you correct the tire pressures for better performance!

Now the calibration time/distance is still a mystery to me that the dealership had mentioned previously....
  • Options
    Does anyone know where exactly is the temperature sensor on the RDV?
  • Options
    dgreene2dgreene2 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in the market for a RDV to replace me large gass guzzling Dodge Durango.

The one option I am curious about is the AWD vs. FWD with traction control.

I took both for a drive in 3 inches of snow and both handle well in unplowed roads.

Does anyone have any comments or experience with the safety and performance of the two models and can help me make up my mind.
  • Options
    One experience based on Pathfinder.

I lived in Michigan (born and grew up driving there). Used both FWD with Traction and AWD mode models. the 4x4 mode always felt more steady and surefooted in the fresh snow/sleet conditions.

Now with the Versatrek system, that maybe different because the computer decides on the AWD split, so can't tell you that decision. Live in California now and haven't tried the RDV out on Tahoe roads yet ;)
  • Options
    dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I have a Olds van, but as the RDV is based on the van, if I know GM I'll bet you a beer the temp sensor is in the same place. Located in front of the radiator, on the lower part of the support has a wire dead ending into a small cigar stub sized thing.

AWD vs FWD with trac control. Awd gives you more wheels providing power and push to move the vehicle. Traction control simply controls the spinning of the front wheel that is losing traction.

AWD is going to provide more traction, and will get stuck less. Traction control will allow you to have more control than a FWD vehicle in conditions where a tire would spin, but it doesn't increase the power that can be applied to move the car. FYI, typically like in my van its switchable, so that in situations where you're trying to get unstuck, you can turn it off and spin the tires with abandon.

If you know how to drive, FWD can do quite a bit. A buddy with a caravan flipped me out how he could drive through about 12" of snow like it wasnt' there, and my 4x4 pickup was getting loose. So, it depends on your priorities which is best for you and how much you would use it.

Trac control is probably sufficient for rain.
  • Options
    Hey Steve what did they do to the Format? I am an old person with a 17" screen. It is really difficult to read. Why so small?

~Ken
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm 50, presbyopic and use +2 reading glasses. My browser (IE6) lets me change the font size to "largest" and I can see it fine on my 19" monitor w/o the specs. Other hosts do this with Netscape 6.x and Opera. Try that or maybe update your browser?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Dirkdaddy - thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.

steve_HOST - I just noticed a weird thing with the new site. After looking up the RDV in the New car section, the link "2004 future model" brings me to the listing for the Rainier? Might want to ask someone to check it out.

Two weeks back I was out driving in the Stroudsburg, PA area on those narrow two way roads heading up to Blue Mountain. I was taken by surprise to see a large clutter of frozen tree branches sticking halfway out in my lane about 5+ feet off the ground. I pulled left as much as I could into the oncoming lane but couldn't avoid the reach of the branches and ice. My RDV took the hit right on the front windshield and driver side A pillar with a loud bang. A mile down the road another clutter was sticking out but down low at about 3-4 feet and smacks the headlights and bumper area. To my surprise (pretty happy) there wasn't even a mark anywhere to be seen on my RDV from the branches and ice. Never thought I would need a brushguard in Pennsyvlania.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks, Nextmoon. The same problem happened with the Mazda6 Midsize Wagon, and that bug was reported and fixed yesterday. I'll report this one. Funny how gremlins come out when you tweak stuff.

Aren't you glad I didn't say "could not reproduce the error", LOL.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    cigar95cigar95 Member Posts: 13
    Hi all, I'm the newest RDV owner on the block - just took delivery of a FWD CX (Light Driftwood, cloth) last night at Tustin Buick in Tustin, CA.

My main question - what are some suggestions for things I should do when the car is brand new to help get the most out of it?

For example, I read a post earlier about adding rubber padding as a step on the back bumper. Also read some discussions about adding finishes to the paint to help it repel water. Looking for small suggestions about inexpensive purchases or things to know so I don't learn "the hard way".

After years of driving a sedan, I already see that I need to use my rear view mirrors a lot - especially on the passenger side.

My salesman suggested that the computer actually "learns" the way I drive, and that if I drive too passively when the car is new, the computer will learn that and remain sluggish forever. That sounds a little like folklore to me, but I suppose it's possible.

Looking forward to learning about my car from fellow owners. Thanks.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard! I know the folks here are friendly and helpful and we're looking forward to hearing about your experiences with your RDV!

tidester, host
  • Options
    Congratulations on your RDV!

The first important thing is to gradually break in your RDV. The manual reports 500 miles for the break in period but for me it wasn't until a bit past 2000 miles that I felt her loosen. During that period you want to very the speeds you drive, stay off the cruise control for that time. What your salesman said about the computer is bogus. It keeps continually adjusting to your driving style - it won't change overnight but will adjust.
  • Options
    Although I took possession two nights ago, I still have an option to add the GMAC service contract. Since it comes directly from GM and is advertised as an extension of GM's bumper to bumper factory warranty, including "wear and tear", it sounds good at first glance - better than the typical third party service contract.

Then I read the brochure - turns out California law permits coverage only for "defects in materials and workmanship". Well, this sounds like it makes all the difference in the world, since something defective is more likely to show itself during the three years of automatic coverage than during years 4-6.

It seems like anything that breaks after five years could just be said to have "worn out", and so not be covered. I couldn't find anything that clarified what constitutes wear and tear, and of course the finance manager said nothing about the "California caveat".

All that said, is there any consensus on the value of GM's "Major Guard" plan? Thanks.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new RDV! You're sure to enjoy all that it offers.

It's definitely a gamble on such programs as the GM Major Guard since you're buying an "insurance policy". Normally, the insurance company makes money, and you don't. I believe you can add the extended warranty up until the time before your regular bumper-to-bumper warranty expires. So you have plenty of time to decide.

And you're probably right that most defects are "most likely" to come up within 3 years or 36k. However, we had a serious one pop-up at 26k: transmission, transfer case, and bearing between tranny & transfer case(see Rendezvous Problems & Solutions forum). We would have been real upset if this occured at 45k or so.

We're not likely to purchase any extended warranty now w/ 19 mos and 26K on our car. I'd say we're probably pretty safe that the tranny will be okay from here on out. I'd be interested in hearing how others weigh-in on this extended warranty idea.

Again, congratulations on your new RDV!

John B.
    Go Raiders!
  • Options
    Hi John nice to see you back in the Town Hall. We have around 30K on our RDV and are seriously considering the extended warranty idea. Knock on wood we haven't had any serious problems but you never know. With all the fancy electronic toys anything can happen. I am not sure which way to go, GM or third party. We still have about 18 or 19 months to decide before the original bumper to bumper warranty is up. Hope you and your family have a great and prosperous year for 2003.

~Ken
  • Options
    Ken,

Nice to hear from you - thanks for your good wishes.

I spent a little time here at Edmunds researching the GMAC Major Guard and some other programs as well. Seems a lot of folks like the Warranty Gold program. Here are some links at Edmunds that may be helpful:

GM Major Guard Warranty - Whose Got A Deal ?

Warranty Gold Claims

I'm still not certain I'll purchase an ESP - we have about 8k miles more to decide. BTW, does anyone know what a BCM runs price wise for part and labor? - This seems to be an Achilles Heal for the RDV.
  • Options
    Thanks for the links, John - especially the reference to the place in PA.

It turns out that buying the plan on a brand new (purchased within 10 days) vehicle is about 10% less than buying it later.

Also, I discovered that the price offered by my F&I guy was seriously inflated, even though living in California I get less than full coverage due to state law. (That's twisted - why would a state prohibit a company from offering coverage that they're willing to offer? Sounds like something that came from the dealer lobby, as everything seems to be for sale in Sacramento.)
  • Options
    fencesitter2fencesitter2 Member Posts: 7
    I'm considering buying a new RDV and appreciate all the posts on this forum.The Pontiac Aztec has a camping package that attaches to the rear hatch of the vehicle, forming a tent.Does anyone know if it would fit the RDV?