Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    The tires I have are the Uniroyal Tiger Paws Touring SR. I checked on the Uniroyal website and it appears they have a 70,000 mile limited treadwear warranty: http://www.uniroyal.com/tp_03_touringtr.htm

It appears the SR is related to the TR.

• Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I have the CX with the Firestone Affinity HT. I've tried to look up these OEM tires at various online tire shops and the manual itself. I found nothing at all.

The Affinity's are very loud driving on concrete-surfaced highways, producting a loud roar. But on asphalt, they're much more quiet. I was thinking of swapping tires but don't see much choices for 215/70R16 on the market.
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Has anyone else notice the squeal noise made by the tires when turning a corner from a dead stop?
  • Options
    dpbrophydpbrophy Member Posts: 1
    When you price a 2003 RDV with options on Edmunds, it will let you select any option separately without requiring a particular option package. Does anyone know if you can now pick just the options you want or doesn't the pricing with options work correctly? I know in the past it would require certain packages if you selected a specific option, such as 3rd row seat.
  • Options
    noastar1noastar1 Member Posts: 18
    I was the owner of a "faulty" Pontiac Aztek, but have since been totally refunded my money for the 2001 Tek. I got my 2003 fully loaded CLX AWD Black/Grey Rendezvous on Friday the 13 and aptly named her Friday. She has a loose plastic thingy on one of the rear captians chairs. Other than that no probs. Much quieter, smoother, and more refined than my Aztek could have ever hoped to be and XM radio is the awesome.

Getting in the 3rd row seat is kind of a pain with the captains chairs, but I just set my exit seat memory to push the driver seat way forward and then the captain chair tumbles fine. I'm waiting for my rear cargo cover.

Does anyone else have the steering wheel audio. On the Tek it would change the CD in the 6-disk changer by pressing the pre-set button (scan), but mine doesn't do it on the Buick. Just curious. Also, the preset (scan) button does not function on XM so you have to hit the presets manually. Not really a problem since you can't program all your desired presets anyway. Just curious if mine had a bug or if this was normal operation.

Overall I'm really happy with Friday and she's just a much nicer car than Maxx (my tek).
  • Options
    I have a 2002 RDV CXL with the 6 disc changer. I have not found a way to change discs by using the steering wheel audio controls. I simply press the 1-6 buttons on the receiver itself. Pressing scan does nothing for me (it would be nice if it changed CD's!)

However, I did discover if you press and hold Seek ('til it beeps), you can do an intro scan on all the songs on a particular CD. Obviously, pressing seek also changes it from track to track (on the same CD).
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I followed your story on the Aztek board and welcome you to the joys of Rendezvous ownership.

It's a great vehicle and a great group of owners.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    theduketheduke Member Posts: 50
    Does anybody know if I can add a memory function to my electric driver seat?
    My wife and I are of diffent sizes and I have to readjust the seat quite back after she uses it (reverse for her).
    I remember the "luxury package" version I had tried before had two memory buttons in the door for his/her setup. As I wanted the third row seat, I could not get this function.
    I think this is the only thing missing to make my car as good as it can get.
    I have been asking in speciality shops, without success.
  • Options
    I kinda doubt that you can "add" this option to your car (at least I've never seen any sort of after-market option for this). I have a 2002 RDV CXL with the third seat and I have the memory option -- why would adding the 3rd seat cancel out your ability to add memory seats as an option? That doesn't make sense to me!
  • Options
    jk27, yes the way the packages work here in Canada is different than in the States - a very limited group of options put into a package for the CX and the CXL.
    the 3rd row-seat in Canada was only in the Versitality package not the luxury one- in any case the Luxury package did not have the value and I was loosing the third row.

Can I ask you to find the part number of your seat motor? if it matches mine, if might just be that I need to fing a remote memory modure/control that would plug into it.
    I would much appreciate this.
  • Options
    Part # for the seat motor? Sure ... ummm ... where do I find that? Obviously, I will look under the seat. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    Hi jp614,

I have a towing package on mine too. This problem has just started happening for me. Through out the long hot summer, I never had that problem. Next time I bring my car in for service, I will mention it to them and see if it is really a problem.
  • Options
    nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    theduke - Obviously too late now, but you could have gotten the luxury package and added the third row as an option like I did so you would have the memory option.

We also each drive it a fair bit and that feature is priceless. We also have the HUD which has already saved me from a couple of speeding tickets as I drive along otherwise oblivious to my excess speed. A condition called lead-footitis.
  • Options
    The only advantages I can see to the Aztek is the Steering wheel controls for the audio system and the fully leather steering wheel (RDV is leather and rubber). Other than that the RDV is just a way better vehicle. Nicer ride, quieter, better steering and handling (which amazed me), better stereo even though it's got 8 speakers instead of 10, roomier and more comfy, seats are wayyyyy better, center console better than the severely low fold down armrests in the Tek, bigger side mirrors, rear wiper, auto air, better fit and finish. Just a nice darn car and the looks do grow on you a lot. I just wish I had time to wash her. I have my first medical exam on Friday so maybe after that.

Later.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree with you more...except for the steering wheel audio controls. Mine's got them.
  • Options
    Saw your question in the other 2003 RDV forum, where you asked if the 2003 will have a separate glass opening independent of the tailgate. Answer is no. What's coming later for the 2003 models is a touchpad-like mechanism for opening the rear tail gate. Also a DVD entertainment option.
  • Options
    I recieved an email from Buick to complete a survey for the Rendezvous. They asked the general buying experience and negative/positive on-the-road experiences. Then was two very specific questions about two components and my usage rate for them - one was for the locking center console and I can't remember the other item. I get the feeling these two items may or may not be removed in future models.

Other questions of interest if I knew about the MY GMLink websites for Buick and frequency I visit the site.
  • Options
    viking23viking23 Member Posts: 1
    WE HAVE A CX WITH FRONT WHEEL DRIVE, W/ 6 THOUSAND MILES ON IT

WE HAVE YET TO GET 20 MPG,(HIGHWAY ), ARE ANY OTHER OWNERS EXCEEDING THAT, OR DISAPPOINTED WITH THEIR MILEAGE ?

I ALSO EXPERIENCE A GREAT DEAL OF DOWNSHIFTING BY THE TRANSMISSION WHEN ON THE INTERSTATE AND ENCOUNTER HILLS. NO PREVIOUS AUTO ( ALL NON-GM )I'VE OWNED HAD THAT TENDENCY OVER THE IDENTICAL HIGHWAYS. MADDENING
  • Options
    enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    I have seen the dvd system in the new 2003 RDV
    it's a neat option, but I don't think I would give up our sunroof to have it.

Jeff
  • Options
    I get about 20 or a little over with my RDV. That's about on par with my old Aztek. It's city and mountain driving. Considering there's a few hundred pounds extra beyond the Aztek I can't complain.

I have noticed some Qulity issues. The A-pillar plastic cover on the passenger side doesn't fit perfect and you can see inside it. For a luxury car seeing the support beams isn't very becoming. There's also a screw missing that holds the plastic outboard covering on the rear passenger side captain chair. I haven't had time to get those fixed with being in medical school and all.

I have to say though, that by this time the Aztek was having major mechanical problems. The RDV seems to be a few steps up in that department.

I've used her to go home (1.5 hrs) a couple of times and it's a very pleasant drive with XM, comfy seats, and decent mileage.
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Well golf season is almost over and I am going to have some time on my hands so I thought I would like to update my web page. www.geocities.com/myersworld2001

I am adding the Owner's Corner and would appreciate any input or ideas anyone would like to make for this section or any other section on the web page.

If anyone has any accessories they added to their RDV and would like to add the vendor to the accessory page just drop me a line and I will add it to the page as soon as possible.

Thanks

~Ken
  • Options
    spiritman1spiritman1 Member Posts: 57
    With 31k on my RDV its time to think about new front tires, rears are ok cause I only rotated once at about 6k. Has anyone bought new Tiger Paws yet? My dealer is having trouble locating some. Is there something better out there?

thanks

Spiritman :)
  • Options
    Check out the RX300 board. Owners over there have been talking about tires for some time.

Mostly raves about the Michelin Cross Terrain and the Bridgestone Dueler H/L.

Of course, we'll be interested to hear how your new tires perform once you get them.
  • Options
    wws2wws2 Member Posts: 23
    Michelin is always my first look. According to Michelins web site, the tried and true LTX M/S and new Pilot LTX M/S are both available in 215/70-16. Interestingly, the Cross Terrain is not listed in this size. However your tire needs also depend on where you live (e.g., is snow a consideration?) and what you do with it (does it ever leave pavement? Tow?) Tirerack.com has lots of good tire info to help you make up your mind.

FWIW, My wifes new CXL came with the Affinity tires. Not particularly impressed with their handling in the hills around here (N. California.) And note they are B-rated in both traction and temperature. Needless to say, when the time comes, I'll be looking at those Pilots.
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    wws2, can you be specific as to why in your words "Not particularly impressed with the Affinity's performance". I have the Affinity and do normal driving and found the tire to be excellent. Is there something that I am not seeing or is this a personal preference issue? Perhaps being subject to unusual road conditions and harder driving habits, I may agree with you. The Affinnitys suit my personal driving habits for now anyway, but I will always listen to comments. That's what this board is all about :-)
  • Options
    I just ordered a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires for my RDV this morning. There are not that many choices of tires to fit the RDV after I did some result. If you want some opinions of tires by their owners, go to tirerack.com which seems to have collected the most feedback. I, too, think the Affinity H/T are not good tires:

1. Extremely noisy (loud roaring sound) on concrete-paved highways (60mph+). Even loud on weathered asphalt (60mph+), but not as much as concrete. At lower speeds, they are quieter.

2. The front tires fold-over when I turn moderately from a stand still.

3. During a few heavy rain falls, they felt like they hydroplaned slightly on turns even at reduced speeds.

4. They tend to turn brown in the sidewalls quickly with only 3500 miles on them. I had to buy some tire cleaners to restore them.

Those are my personal observations on the Affinity's. Of course each individual will have his/her own feel for the tire. I intend to sale my entire set after I get my replacements. I have Michelins on my other car so I could be biased.

The Michelin Crossovers are not available in the size for the RDV. The other tires I was considering were the Yokohama Geolander H/T Y816. They are cheaper and got equal review as the Michelins and slightly better in some categories and were only 2/3 the cost. But they are extremely sort in supply. The Bridgestone Duelers was ranked much lower in feedback.
  • Options
    I am glad a few of you long haulers are getting ready to replace your tires.

Personally, I want a tire to be quiet on the highway (that's the RDV forte, after all) and offer excellent wet weather traction, so I'm leaning away from L/T tires and will shop passenger car tires when the time comes.

I like Dunlop and found their SP Sport A2 in 235/60-16. It's an awesome tire (check out Tire Rack reviews) and a bargain at $85.

Nextmoon, let us know how your Michelins work out, especially in the area of noise compared to the OEM tires. I'm anxious to hear your observations.
  • Options
    Around town, the Affinitys seem fine. But take them into some twisties in the hills around here (Santa Cruz Mtns) and the tires complain at suprisingly low speeds. It has not rained yet, so can not comment on wet performance. Also should note that we've only had the vehicle for a few weeks, and I've not had time to 'dial in' tire pressures.

> is this a personal preference issue?

Probably. I've tried other tire brands over the years, but keep coming back to Michelin.

As for the LTX M/S, I have a set on my Suburban. They ride well, handle well, and are quiet. And after 40k miles, still look like they could go another 20k miles. Main negative is that they are a bit pricey. Nextmoon: Please be sure to report back with initial impressions on your RDV!

BTW, overall we are extremely pleased with the RDV. Buick did a good job.
  • Options
    montreidmontreid Member Posts: 127
    We were test driving cars this week for a future June purchase. The dealer offered this: $27,300. That's below invoice since $655 rebate for leather.

The thing is, our lease isn't due until June, and the other car (paid off) is working well.

So, buy it now? or wait? Anyone's thoughts on the future pricing/rebates for next year would be?
  • Options
    Have you consider finding an exact 2002 CXL?
    Even without discount, the price would be lower as the 2003 have less included in the base price, I understand.
    Sure, it is last year's (in Car talk), but notwithstanding, the same vehicle.
    I got mine in July with $2500 discount +cargo mat.

Good luck in your choice.
  • Options
    I will report back with initial impressions of the LTX M/S. I should have them mounted the coming weekend as they are scheduled to arrive at the end of the week. You should note that I opted for the passenger versions rather than the L/T ones. I preferred the sidewalls all black instead of raised white lettering, may be a little to butch for the RDV.

Someone suggested mounting the tires with the white lettering inside in another forum since this is not a directional tire. Not that I want to, but is there a reason not to do the sidewalls inside mount?
  • Options
    I would like to take a moment to thank all that took the time to drop me a line about the web page. I received a couple of suggestions that I will definitely try to incorporate into the web page. Thanks again

~Ken
  • Options
    hfdadhfdad Member Posts: 29
    I will need to carry 3 or 4 snowboards this winter on the top of my Rendezvous. Any suggestions on what to buy and who from.
  • Options
    craig40craig40 Member Posts: 8
    Check out a Yakima or Thule roof rack system. They both have racks that will fit a wide variety of vehicles with a lot of choices of rack accessories specific to bikes, skies, snow boards, etc. Most bike shops, or truck accessory stores are familiar with these products. They both also have web-sites. Hope this helps.

Craig
  • Options
    You might also want to consider some step plates on the floor sills. Seeing how you will be stepping on them to remove and attach the snowboards from the top, the sills will take some abuse.
  • Options
    hfdad check out the accessory page on my web page.
    I have a link to Thule roof rack system

www.geocities.com/myersworld2001.

~Ken
  • Options
    So I've had my new set of Michelin LTX M/S mounted on my Rendezvous last night. First off, the LTX has be enhanced from 460 treadwear rating to 500. This had happened in mid-2002 according to the Michelin website. The set I recieved had the tire sticker listing 460 but the sidewalls all read 500.

Initial impression when I had the two tires off the rims side-by-side at the garage was the Affinities are awefully flimsy compared to the LTXs. Meaning the material looked and felt inferior to the LTXs. Most surprising was hold stiff the sidewalls of the LTX were compared to Affinities, which depressed so very easily with a light finger poke!

So let's get to the good stuff - the driving impression. Getting out of the garage I could feel the difference right away. I could "feel" the grip on the group much more that before. Going home I'd pushed her more than I normally do in city street driving under 40mph. Let me tell you the ride is buttery smooth with noticeably less tire noise. Making turns from a complete stop several times, I could not feel any tire flex like on the Affinities. I actually caught myself turning my body according to the direction of my turn, bracing for that body roll, but it was much diminished to my surprise. Going over rippled asphalt with small dips and square pieces of depressed surfaces (settled road repair spots)
    was more controlled and with much less vehicle motions. Stopping distance was the same as before. The ride was not any harsher then with the Affinities. The response to steering wheel changes is definitely more quicker.

Asthetically, the tires are slightly more aggressive looking from the side view which is a plus IMHO. I opted to turn the white lettering inside and have the black side outwards to kept her more classy looking. She also seems to stand more athletically since the LTX doesn't bulge as much as the Affinities in the sidewalls.

Over the weekend I plan on hitting some highways. I can only think they will perform better than the Affinities.
  • Options
    Nextmoon how many miles do you have on your RDV??

I have close to 30k on my Affinity's and they look and ride like new tires.

If you don't mind me asking what did the LTX M/S set you back?

~Ken
  • Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    What a great report!!! I'll keep those tires in mind when the time comes to retire the Uniroyals. Sounds like they could be keepers. BTW, Happy Birthday Gamera!!!! He just turned 20(K). Amazing, he doesn't look a mile over 2(k).

CWJ

P.S. What's up with the folks with badly trimmed A-pillars? Sorry, and a little concerned, to hear about that. I had noticed badly trimmed components in other Buicks, but Gamera was put together as tight as any car could be.
  • Options
    I have my RDV since August but discovered only this week that the middle compartment is lockable , also the height of all shoulder harness can be adjusted. Neat.[I should let me wife drive more often so I can look around some more].
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    nextmoon , I will reserve judgement when it comes time to change my Affinities. So far I do not see any of the negatives that have been put up about this tire. I challenge one point you brought out with regard to the stiffness of the Michelins versus the Affinities. Lets reverse this . Lets just suppose you were taking your RDV in to change the Michelins which had some mileage on them for some spanking new Affinities. Don't you think the Affinities would be stiffer and better made only because they were new. Surely the Michelins would be softer and subject to the same finger poking :-)You do make a strong case for changing to Michelins by your road performance comparisons. Although I am very satisfied with the Affinities for my driving, no Baja extremes:-)I will keep an open mind when the time comes. Thanks for your in debt review. Are you sure you do not work or own stock in Micheline LOL ;-)BTW CWJ, have to agree with you on being a bit disturbed by these reports of badly trimmed A-pillars. Had my RDV since May 2001 and it like Gamara is still quite perfect. Looking foward to my next long trip. Has anyone seen the Kia Sorrento. From a quick glimpse it sure looks like the RDV. Any comments will be welcome :-)
  • Options
    enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    Nextmoon, great feedback. Your report was exactly the sort of thing I come to this board to read.
    Island Pete, I don't sell tires for a living, but have bought many many sets. Go into a Wall*Mart or a Pep Boys and look at the cheapest tires they sell. Handle an unmounted one and you will see that the sidewalls are very flimsy. Handle one of their higher priced (Michelin) and you will notice an incredible difference in quality.
    If you can make a tire flex with your weight, imagine what a Rendezvous could do in a hard corner.
    I am an admitted Michelin fan. I have put over 300,000 miles on Michelins (different vehicles) and I am notorious for ignoring them. I don't check my tire pressure more than once or twice a year, and Michelin's have never ever failed me. I have only ever had one flat and that was because I was behind a vehicle that dumped a load of scrap metal.
    All of that said, I am too cheap to replace new, if somewhat mushy tires with Michelins until they are worn out.
    Does anybody remember when Michelins came with an extremely narrow pinstripe whitewall ? I wonder how this might look on our white Rendezvous.
    Ok I will shut up now

Jeff
  • Options
    cwj - We have 19,677 enjoyable miles on our RDV. We are driving to San Diego next week and will surely dethrone you. ;)

nextmoon, enniskillen, islandpete - I am basically satisfied with the Affinities too, although I concede that I will replace them with a "superior" tire when the time comes...especially because the Affinity is so expensive! I have used Dunlop D60A2's on my Miata and Accord for years and love that tire. I learned at Tirerack.com that the SP Sport A2 is Dunlop's replacement for the D60, and I am pretty sure I will go with it if I decide to "Plus 1." The "Plus 1" combination that "kermitek" has (Aztek forum) are exactly what I've been thinking of:

http://www.mwshowgo67.com/kermit/images/P09220225.jpg

These are the same wheels that Pontiac introduced for the Aztek and Vibe this year. They really fill out the wheel well and make the car look more muscular.

If I stick with the 16" wheels, I'm sure I'll steer towards Michelin.

Oh yeah, I like the Kia Sorento a lot. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I think it's going to single-handedly turn Kia into a real player in the NA auto market! Looks like a muscular Lexus RX300 to me.

• Options
    Thanks nextmoon - your initial impressions on the LTX M/S are in tune with what I've experienced with them. And I concur with everything enniskillen mentioned in post 2896.

However, in fairness to the Affinities, I did check our tire pressures a few days ago. They were in the 28-29 psi range, so the dealer probably delivered them at 30. The door decal recommends 35, and were therefore underinflated by a significant amount.

Nice having the on-board air compressor to top off the tires. But with the open chuck design of the air system, it is hard to get a good reading using the guage that is built into the hose. One has to fill it about 10 apparent psi higher than you want, turn off the compressor and remeasure. It will then be just about right. (The in-hose gauge values are about 1 psi off from my Accugage when the compressor is turned off. So that is pretty good.)
  • Options
    Kenym/Islandpete - I have under 3,500 miles on my original Affinities, which to me is pretty "new". I agree that usage can soften the sidewall but in my case the mileage is very low. I ordered online the LTX for $120 a piece (included shipping) which is basically the same as if I got them in a local shop + tax. And no I don't have any reasons to push Michelin tires :) Buying any stock is too difficult in my current job :(

If you guys are satisfied with the Affinities then that's cool. I'm trying to be scientific with the comparisons.
  • Options
    I went out over the weekend to rack up some highway mileage. Took a drive to a nearby state park (~70 mile round trip) along the same route I normally take to it in clear but cold weather. Traffic was moving at a regular 55-60mph. First up was the section of inter-mixed small bumps and relatively larger bumps on the highway. With the Affinities, if the bumps were spaced short, my RDV would tend to bounce up and down, gradually increasing slightly as the bumps keep coming in shortly spaced intervals. With further separated bumps, they ride fine over them. With the LTX tire, the short intervals did not get as bouncy and performed the same as through the more widely spaced bumps.

Then it's off to the several winding curves. Normally I stick with the other minivans and SUVs that need to slow down to take these curves so as not to impede traffic. In these turns I can feel the tires "squat" down and the body roll becomes more noticeable - my passengers always remind me with auditory notes. It's the same with getting off the highway onto those 360 degree tight off ramps. The difference with the LTX is much less body roll doing these everyday maneuvers - not to mention no more passenger sounds :) Also, the vehicle tracks better - it will not drift slightly on the curves and require a steering correction as I've experienced with the Affinities.

Finally came the weathered concrete stretch of road. Riding the Affinities, I literally cannot hear my radio set at half way or my front passenger yelling at me due to the extreme rumbling tire noise. It came as a big surprise at the difference of tire noise this time with myself and my passengers. I can easily hear the radio set on low (2 bars) and speak at a normal conversation level.

The negatives? Cost is definitely one and the other is I can hear the engine more since the tire noise is down alot - my girlfriend made this observation.

Note: Both sets of tires were running with 35 PSI.
  • Options
    chatter2chatter2 Member Posts: 1
    We are purchasing a 2003 RDV and I have been following the posts re: tires. Should I have the dealer upgrade to the Michelins instead of the Uniroyals that come standard? What are the Affinities that many of have mentioned? Are they the Uniroyals? What does it mean to get the passenger version of the Michelins -- versus what other version? Many Thanks
  • Options
    The Affinity tires are made by Firestone and comes standard on the CX models (at least in 2002, not sure about 2003 models). The Michelin LTX tires come in two versions, one designated as passenger tires denoted by a "P" and the other as light truck (more heavy duty) denoted by "LT". The "LT" handles more load so they are stiffer/harder compared to a passenger tire which should ride smoother.

I think you're better off taking the original tires and driving with them for a while before deciding on upgrading tires. You may like or find the them acceptable.
  • Options
    I've got the Uniroyal Touring SR tires on my 2002 RDV CXL and I have no complaints with them. No squeals, squeaks or complaints from them in the turns (properly inflated). Very quiet on the freeway. I see no reason to upgrade from these tires (until I wear them out).
  • Options
    I've got the Firestone Affinity tires on my 2002 RDV CX with CLOSE to 30k. Actually 28,400 miles on the rear and 23,400 miles on the front. Firestone replaced the front tires after 5,000 miles because they were out of round at no charge. I can honestly say I can't see any difference in tread wear between the front and rear tires. I totally agree with jk27
    "I see no reason to upgrade from these tires (until I wear them out). "
    ~Ken