Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    you can slap 16 inch rims but you will need a lower profile tire to keep the speedo and tranny in check. also, this will produce the same circumference, e.g if the original tire was 205/65-15 you can get a 215/60-16 (i think) or 215/55-16, someone please correct me which is right. but the point is that if you are after bigger rims, you need to keep the circumference of the wheel the same. in theory you can do 17 inch rims, and 225/45-17 combo, but the total circumference will still bee the same.
  • Options
    bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    I have an '02 EX 5 speed. I find it geared too low overall, i.e., engine revs too high. The auto actually has a taller 4th than the man. 5th gear. I have been wondering about getting a taller profile tire in an attempt to raise the overall gearing a bit. Does anybody know how big you can go on the CRV that will still fit physically, i.e., in the wheel wells when suspension is fully compressed, etc.?
  • Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    This link is a tire size calculator. It'll help you determine how much your speedo will be affected by a tire change.

The CR-V IX has a wheels and tires page that describes the various tires owners have used.

Below is a picture of one of the more outrageous tire changes I've seen. This CR-V needs a lift kit.

• Options
    samstrsamstr Member Posts: 13
    I have an 02' auto and I've posted previously regarding the clicking noise coming from the steering column, but that now seems minor compared to what happened to me today.

When I turned the key to start the car there was a whirring noise and the car didn't start. (It didn't even turn over.) I turned the key back to the entry position and on my 2nd attempt the car started. This was in 30 degree weather.

I've had the car now for 2 weeks and it has 600 miles on it. My wife actually told me that this had happened to her once about a week ago. (she also said it started for her on the 2nd attempt)

I had a 98' auto that I traded in for the 02' and I never had that happen with over 50,000 miles on it.

Has anyone else had this experience with the new CRV's, or does anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen?

I can't believe this would happen on a brand new car.

PS. The dealer called me back regarding the clicking noise and sure enough it is the reverse lockout solenoid. It is not a defect and the only thing that can be done is to insulate the noise. (I believe varmit had mentioned this)
  • Options
    timz58timz58 Member Posts: 44
    We have an 02 EX with automatic arriving any day and will be setting it up to tow behind our Winnebago. Has anyone on the board done this or had any experience with it. The dealer tells me that as long as we follow a procedure outlined in a Honda service bulletin we will have no trouble flat towing the V. Any info or advice will be helpful.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    That's not your CR-V, is it? :) Those tires must be rubbing against the fenders at the slightest turn of the steering. BTW, wouldn't he need a bigger spare?
  • Options
    tomf11tomf11 Member Posts: 40
    Well altho this is not concerning body rust due to road salt, here's a tip. When you wash your car in the winter where a lot of salt is used,try and remember to rinse off the radiator. The road salt from vehicles in front of you is passed thru your grille opening.
  • Options
    Plum2RipePlum2Ripe Member Posts: 1
    Hi -

My wife and I have it down to a Ford Escape or a Honda CR-V. Believe it or not, the make-it/break-it point on this may turn out to be a roof rack. I can't get a straight answer from the Honda folks here in New Jersey, and a Roof Rack is not listed in the CR-V brochure or on the website as an option - does the 2002 CR-V come with a roof rack, or would I have to have this custom installed? Please let me know - I truly appreciate it!

Plum
  • Options
    CanadianCL - Great gohgly mohgly! No I'd never do anything like that. Nor would I recommend it. It's just a goofy way to show that larger tires can be used.

Here's the story from the owner. It's under "Super Swamper Tires" in the CR-V IXMay 2001 issue.

Plum2ripe - Yes, you can get an OEM roof rack for the CR-V. Since the rails are incorportated into the body of the vehicle, all you need are a set of cross bars. Here's a link to one vendor that has them, but there are plenty of others. Just make sure you order the one for the '02 model.

• Options
    piedrapiedra Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have experience dealing with Honda dealers in this part of the country? This would include Albuquerque and all of western Colorado? I'm particularly interested in supply and price as this seems to vary across the country. Thanks!!
  • Options
    yachtieyachtie Member Posts: 29
    Interesting to note that msrp for these is USD249 and you can buy them for USD178.80 from Handa.I was quoted a price of CAD576 for them from local dealer. Almost enough for me to go out and buy a Saturn Vue. CAD 44.00 for cross bars!
    How come the Honda ones are so much? 24ct.gold plated?
  • Options
    merlin6merlin6 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

Well, after much research (including spending quite a while "lurking" on this board), my wife and I have decided to purchase an '02 CRV EX, automatic (in silver!). Found a dealer in own that has one in stock, and went to "negotiate" yesterday. THe sales guy was nice enough, and explained that they don't discount these models much, due to the high demand, but he was willing to negotiate some on the options. We opted for mud flaps, cargo net, cargo cover, all-weather floor mats, and at the wife's insistence, body side moulding. Total price for the car is coming in at 23,103. Seems reasonable to me based on my research .... what do you all think?

Second question is financing. I can get 48 months at 5.8% from my credit union. Honda is offering 3.9% (annual comes to 4.3%) for 48 months .... providing, of course, that I sign up for a 72 month/75,000 mile extended warranty, which they price at $1280. Difference in monthly payment is about $20 more if I take Honda's offer of 3.9 plus the service contract, which is affordable. Just can't decide if the warranty is worth it. Any opionions? ;-)

We put down $200 to hold the car until Monday night, so I need to decide which way to go pretty quickly. Any/all input appreciated.

Thanks! We're excited to be getting the CR-V!
  • Options
    mainmanmainman Member Posts: 4
    To Timz58 - RE: Towing a CRV. We tow an 01 CRV behind a National Dolphin. I just follow the instructions in the manual and tow it all day at 70mph. It is a great tow car as well as a great vehicle. We are looking at 02's now.
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    The dealers in Denver are all charging MSRP (22740). So the accessories cost you $363. So the price is not out of line. The 3.9% is good but the warranty price is high. The best I have seen on warranty is $875 for 0 deductible 7yr/100K. Do your math to see if the high warranty price is justified to get the 3.9.
    By the way, if you can wait, Mark Roberts in OK
    sells his CRV EX auto for 21,356 out the door, you pay tax and license when you register your car at home. They are a reputable dealership, I purchased an Ody from them and have a CRV on order for Apr. They sell their 7/100K for a little over $1000.
    If you need any info email me-rockycow
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you came out of the shadows and decided to join in the fun!

I am sure others will give you last minute advice. Keep us posted.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    angelica2angelica2 Member Posts: 30
    I saw that you were looking into a warranty. I believe buying a warranty at the time of purchase is a waste of money. You can purchase a warranty right before your warranty with Honda expires. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you buy a 72/75000 mile warranty it doesn't give you 72/75000 beyond your 36/36000 miles, it only gives you an additional 36/39,000 miles. Hope this makes sense. The price sounds pretty good; however, I would deal with them and try to get the 3.9 without purchasing the extended warranty. Since you placed a deposit they know you're a serious buyer and they probably won't let you walk over the low rate/warranty issue. The moral-less dealers are just trying to make another quick buck. Play hard-ball with them. I've read on several other posts that some buyers are getting deals under MSRP....if you seem too desperate for the car they will get you somehow. good luck !!
  • Options
    lamjacklamjack Member Posts: 3
    I just found this site tonight. So far, I've read several topics of interest. We have only put about 400 kilometers (250 miles) on our new CR-V so far, but it is a vast refinement over our '98 EX. I like the way this tranny shifts, and I really like the I-VTEC engine. We bought the Eternal Blue with black leather interior. If I'm not mistaken, the US models do not come with leather...yet?
    Marketing by Honda must rely heavily on demagraphics. They seem to market not only by country, but by region within countries. As far as I know this is what goes on in Canada. However, vehicles could be different in Eastern Canada.
    - LX's are not available with leather.
    - EX's are.
    - LX's and EX's without leather have black vinyl front and rear bumpers and black door handles.
    - LX's do not have tinted windows; all EX's do.
    - EX's with leather have painted bumpers and door handles plus the painted hard spare tire cover.
    - In Calgary (Western Canada), the Eternal Blue comes ONLY with black leather. Luckily, we liked the Eternal Blue and black interior best anyway, so we didn't have to compromise our choice.
    The notion that a roof rack wasn't available is surprising. We had one installed (at a ridiculous price). It is listed as an option... however, that was on the Honda Canada site. The tires do seem too small. I think they should have built this unit with 16" wheels and some good looking tires.
    Our CR-V was built in Japan in December but that's all I can tell about build details. I worry a bit about the clunking tranny and the seat brackets but what can you do once you make a purchase?
    This site is interesting compared to others so I hope to hear back from some of you. I am especially interested in why leather is not (yet?) offered on US models.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    DO NOT BUY FROM THIS DEALER. honda does not force people to buy waranty to qualify for financing. THIS IS A SCAM!!!!! i have dealt with a similar situation at paragon honda in queens, ny in 1999. i walked out, called honda and they assured me that there is no stipulation that to qualify for the low fiancing you have to buy warranty. if you still want to buy from this dealer, tell him that you called honda headquaters and they told you that there is not requirement to buy warranty to get honda financing and if he wants to keep his licence he should back off. (there is no "line 5" or whatever BS they told you) I hope it is not paragon (white plains honda is part of paragon honda), because they have been warned by american honda not to do that again. also, merlin6, what part of the country are you from? if you are in NYC area, supply is higher than demand right now.
    by the way, you can get an extended warranty from honda (honda care) for 6 year/100 000 miles with $50 deductible for a little more than $700 from this honda dealer in vermont that i have bought mine from. you do not have to buy the warranty at the time of purchase, nor from the same dealer. this guy though, charges more if your car is over 2 years old and over 24 000 miles.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    check out www.autoinvoice.com (Northern OK for $316 over invoice everyday of the year-no gimmicks). Ask for John Page-- sold me my car(s) 800 number is posted on web site along with specific pricing a availability of model color.
    INKY in Tulsa
  • Options
    rver2rver2 Member Posts: 16
    Mainman with the Dolphin: What type of towbar do you use? We have been looking at Roadmaster and Blue Ox. Apparently the Roadmaster is available now for the 2002 CRV and the Blue Ox will be availble within a couple of weeks. Other than getting comments that these are both good quality we haven't been able to find out much. Would appreciate comments of anyone who has experience with either brand. We have a 31 ft. Seabreeze. We are very happy campers with both the Seabreeze and the 2002 CRV.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Don't all four wheels need to be off the ground (on a trailer), when towing a AWD/4WD?

Bob
  • Options
    tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    Well for the most part regarding seat performance, I think "weight" is irrelevant. I know a 300lb man who drives a Liberty, and his wife weighs in @ (I'm guessing) 340, and they're having no seat troubles. As I stated earlier, I've owned other Hondas (in the form of Acuras) and the seats were never a problem. Seats were never a problem in the MDX, the Sequoia, the TL-S, the RX-300, the Avalon, the Explorer, or even in the Accord. They're not a problem in the Saab 9-5 now.

Just because the CR-V runs $$$$ less than a lot of these other cars, that doesn't mean that the seats should be cheaply-built.
  • Options
    Lamjack - There are several other differences between US and Canadian packaging. ABS being standard on the Canadian CR-V being the most controversial (before they created the EX package it was an option on the LX CR-V, but not enough people bought it). We may end up seeing a number of upgrades midway through the CR-V's design cycle. They may, for example, bring back the SE model (LE to Canadians). That could include standard leather, bigger rims/tires, and other stuff.
  • Options
    tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    I forgot to ask. What's the largest tire that can go on the stock 2002 EX's 15" rims? I'm curious and wonder if any folks have done any experimenting.
  • Options
    As long as we're on the topic, here's a question for the owners out there. What should Honda add to the EX if they are going to make an SE or LE package?

My personal choices for the US market would be heated leather seating surfaces, unique 16" rims with size 215 tires, an upgrade to the speakers, painted bumpers, body colored spare cover, standard fog lights, and a boost to 180 hp. That would probably bump up the cost about $2,000. VSA or an LSD would be good additions as well, but then the prices might get out of hand.
  • Options
    bailiebailie Member Posts: 12
    To Lamjack Would you mind saying how much you paid for your ex auto leather? Thanks
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Interesting that in the US the SE trim for the CR-V was considered top of the line. Usually the SE is a notch below the EX. So to your question if they follow the typical badging, you're right they have to add stuff to the EX but if they follow what they did with 1G it is the SE that will have the extras. Did I make sense?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    For the SE: monotone paint, 215/60R16 tires and alloys, heated seats, stability and traction control.

$1995 for 16" rims and tires is downright ridiculous. I had Discount Tire Direct ship a complete set of 225/60R16 tires mounted and balanced on 4 alloy rims, delivered to my door with free lug nuts and wheel locks, for $643.

Then again, that dealer's accessory prices are obviously way high. $2 grand for leather is also about double what it should be, and the $800 tint is about 4 times what it should be. I paid $170 for seven windows tinted with SolarGard.

yachtie: if you think $40 Canadian is cheap, cross bars come on the Forester for free. Fog lights, mud guards, carpets, cargo covers, and cargo liners too. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    ateixeira, Thanks for the input regarding the 4.77 axle for the CR-V. I've driven 02 CR-V with the 5-speed the past weekend. It behaved like what you had described. I felt uncomfortable with the high rev from the engine at highway speed. It needs a 6th gear for that matter. I think I should look into a A/T instead. Anyone has feedback comparing the two trans? Thanks. BTW, this Honda dealer in Utah from where I've the test drive, is taking $540 off the MSRP. They have only three CR-Vs in stock. Looked at the Saturn VUE also, the CR-V is much more refine. But, the VUE has driver side arm-rest for the 5-speed model and better seat fabrics.
  • Options
    Carguy - True. With other Honda models, the SE is typically the base engine with extra equipment, while the EX is the upgraded engine and less luxury stuff. This is because Honda used the SE designation to help sell Accords while they were working on a V6 model.

With the CR-V, there is no engine option. So the LX and EX are only differentiated by equipment levels.
  • Options
    6th gear? Oh, yeah, can I add that to my list for the SE model? 200 horses, too? ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    ateixeira, Thanks for the input regarding the 4.77 axle for the CR-V. I've driven 02 CR-V with the 5-speed the past weekend. It behaved like what you had described. I felt uncomfortable with the high rev from the engine at highway speed. It needs a 6th gear for that matter. I think I should look into a A/T instead. Anyone has feedback comparing the two trans? Thanks. BTW, this Honda dealer in Utah from where I've the test drive, is taking $540 off the MSRP. They have only three CR-Vs in stock. Looked at the Saturn VUE also, the CR-V is much more refine. But, the VUE has driver side arm-rest for the 5-speed model and better seat fabrics.
  • Options
    bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    I have a 2002 EX 5spd and the 4.77 axle seems too low for highway running. Fortunately, the smoothness of the motor makes this bearable. I personally would raise the final ratio, e.g., 4.5 plus raise 5th a bit too. This would keep the overall acceleration good while giving 5th a more overdrive like capability.

As for comparisons to the auto (which I test drove as well), the auto does cruise a little better with the taller top gear ratio but the 5spd smokes the auto in acceleration. For 95% of my driving I prefer the 5spd. However, I am driving down south this spring with the family and I am hesitant to take the CR-V because of the high rpm on the highway and its limited range (compared to our '02 Accord).
  • Options
    The low gearing made sense on the 96-01 CR-V, but, with the 'torquier' engine in the '02, I wouldn't think it was necessary. Honda did raise the gearing a bit, but, IMHO, they could have gone farther without a significant decrease in highway passing ability. It would've helped with the EPA mpg rating as well.
  • Options
    ticktock4321ticktock4321 Member Posts: 41
    "the 5spd smokes the auto in acceleration"

Maybe I am wrong but I thought they were fairly close. varmit?
  • Options
    RickRRickR Member Posts: 4
    does anyone have experience with a Honda Finance Purchase Plan (balloon type)loan. it's described as an option on Honda Finance web site. my experience is that dealers don't like those type plans.
  • Options
    sfbayareasfbayarea Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

Does anybody know if the 2002 CR-V EX comes with an outside temperature display? It's a "nice to have" when driving up to Tahoe to ski.

Thanks -
    sfbay
  • Options
    Ticktock - They are pretty close in terms of 0-60 acceleration, but there is too little data out there to make a conclusion. So far I've seen times of 8.4, 8.5, and 8.7 for the 5 speed. The automatic has gotten to 60mph in 8.93 and 8.9 seconds. I'm going from memory here, so don't quote me on those. =)

Since some cars mags use different testing methods than others, it's hard to draw a conclusion. I'm sure that we'll see some times in the low to mid 9's for the automatic. Slushboxes tend to be less consistent.

As always, there is the "who cares?" factor. Most folks who buy these vehicles aren't looking for blistering acceleration. 50-70 mph times or top gear acceleration may be more important to the average driver than full-throttle burnouts.

IMHO, it's good to know that you can get up to speed if you absolutely have to, but I rarely need it.
  • Options
    ticktock4321ticktock4321 Member Posts: 41
    Doesn't matter much to me either but I had a feeling the difference between MT and AT was a little overexaggerated. If a half a second (or even a second) is going to make a difference to someone that's fine. Thanks.
  • Options
    rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    sfbayarea: Nope, outside temperature sensor is only available on Canadian V's.
  • Options
    High revs are a trade-off for the impressive 0-60 numbers the CR-V has been getting (comparable to bigger V6s).

Bigger tires would be one possible cure, and one that's much simpler than changing the final drive or the gear box.

-juice
  • Options
    gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    I see your email is made public do you ever check that mail box? Just wondering, I'm thinking about making mine public also, but I was wondering if people send you junk?
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Since you own both an '02 CR-V and and and '02 Accord (V6?), you'd be the right guy to ask.

We are trying to decide on either the CR-V EX or the Accord EXV6. As you know, in Canada, by the time you add a couple of options on the CR-V, such as the alarm and tonneau cover, the price is almost the same as the EXV6. How would you compare the 2 in terms of noise levels, acceleration and general comfort and ease of driving at city speeds as well as highway speeds?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
  • Options
    GM_Litogation - Mostly, I get death threats. =)

Actually, I have separate e-mail accounts. I do not publish my home address. The one that I have here is for my on-line "persona". It's a free account registered through HondaSUV.com. When I signed up for it, I unchecked all the promotional garbage. You can do the same with other sites. I do get messages there. Some of it is junk, but not much. I do not get junk-mail from Edmunds posters or Edmunds themselves. A lot of people lurk on these boards and only ask questions through E-mail. It also helps with organizing road trips.
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    gm_litogation. I'll be interested in Varmit's reply. I've naively listed my address in all sorts of places ever since the 'Net has been active, and I hardly got any spam. (Mind you, I wasn't with AOL or MSN as my ISP very long, and I hear they attract spammers like carrion attracts flies.) Since making my address public on the Edmunds profile I've been getting all sorts of spam I never used to see. All this weird stuff began showing up exactly the same time I went public with my address on Edmunds.

Of course, that ain't all bad. I just got this exciting offer from a guy in Nigeria who's gonna make me rich if I make a small investment!
  • Options
    mdmomamdmoma Member Posts: 8
    sfbayarea,
    You might try the following web site, their are several great choices for outside temp,inside temp. barometric, altimeter, and compass: www.pnicorp.com. I have install the model v-6000
    which mounts nicely on the windshield. It is mono-chromaticly light(indeglo) for night viewing...looks very OEM. Offer much more than a simple temp. monitor.
    WWW.pnicorp.com Check it out!
  • Options
    canwin2canwin2 Member Posts: 9
    Canadiancl, Re: message #5546
    I am also interested in the reponse to that question. I presently own a 99 EX V6. I really like it but wanted a change. My wife has a 98 Civic EX. I am pleased with Honda products. Test drove the 02 EX and ordered an 02 EX Leather. A friend wants to buy my Accord. I was pleased with the short test drive but didn't have it long enough to fairly compare the two. I would like oppinions. My first post after lurking for a few weeks. I find the site and information informative.
  • Options
    mcfreitasmcfreitas Member Posts: 5
    Well, we just bit the bullet and ordered a blue 5spd EX. Apparently Blue 5spd EX's are hard to find around here.

For anyone that read my last post: We did end up getting it from Sunset Honda in San Luis Obispo. It turns out the "perma-plate" is not as required as previously advertised :-)

Any one have any idea how long it takes to order a car from Honda? The dealer said 6-10 weeks. Has anyone gone this route?
  • Options
    Was it Honda that spelled it "varmint", or was that you this time? ;-)

Those lucky Canucks. They always seem to get more cold weather equipment standard. All US Forester have an outside temp gauge, but the WRX gets heated seats in Canada but not in the USA. :-(

-juice
  • Options
    merlin6merlin6 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I posted yesterday asking about the price/financing for our new CRV EX. I was mostly concerned about the financing arrangements. As several of you pointed out, the extended warranty is really not that great a deal. Also, as it turned out, the financing was not "from Honda", as I thought (maybe was led to believe), but simply a bank that the local Honda dealership (Indianapolis, IN btw) deals with. SO, the reason they are able to offer me 3.9% financing only if I agree to the extended service contract is because they use part of that to "buy points" to lower the interest rate. Anyway, I've decided to forego the service contract, and take them up on a straight 5.8%/48 month deal. Will be picking up the new CRV tonight!!

I'm going to consider turning around and re-financing it immediately with a home equity line of credit my credit union is offering for 4.75%. My hesitation is because this is a "variable rate", tied to the prime rate, which of course can't really be predicted. On the plus side, at least the interest payments from that type of loan are tax deductible. Anyone care to share any opinions about that strategy?

Anyway, we're excited about driving home our "dream car" tonight. This is our very first NEW car purchase, and we think we made a good choice with the CR-V.

Cheers,
    --Merlin