Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    LOL! No the spelling here was a legitimate error on my part. You may remember that I borrowed the name from my ferrets (their nickname). I always thought it was slang and assumed it didn't have a proper Websters spelling. So I spelled phonetically (I should look that one up, too). I've corrected it in other forums, but cannot make an edit here at Edmunds. Maybe Steve or Tidester can give me a hand? =)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm afraid that other user name is already taken. I rather like the way you spell it anyway - sounds like something Chester would say on Matt Dillon.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    trilliumstevetrilliumsteve Member Posts: 35
    I posted this question about a month ago, and got one response for an accessories dealer in the US, but they do not ship to Canada. Does anybody know a decent place to buy Honda OEM accessories in Canada -- either on-line or the old fashioned way -- at a store? I have seen lots of links to HANDA in the US, but as above, they do not ship to Canada. In particular, I will (soon, I hope) be looking for roof racks for a 2002 CR-V, and I object to paying over $500 Cdn for them from a dealer!
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    of Indy at a dealer named D.Y.? That's where I bought my '99 EX. And although the purchase went fairly smooth and I got a decent price, I was very disappointed with the offer of a free oil change if I returned the Honda customer survey to the dealership so they could fill it out. And when I went to pick it up it wasn't ready, and then when it was it wasn't equipped the way I'd ordered it, and then when I returned it to get the last accessories installed they hassled me about the loaner they originally offered.

It also took multiple phone calls to the dealer and finally a letter to the Honda district office to get the dealer to stop sending me maintenance reminders and promotional materials.
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    It is my understanding that to tow a CRV all 4 wheels must be either on or off the ground. Owner's manual lists a 65mph limit for towing along with special instructions for preparing a CRV with an auto tranny. Some RVers buy the CRVs because the RAV4 cant be towed on the ground.
    rockycow
  • Options
    bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    We have an 02 CR-V EX 5spd and an 02 Accord SE 5spd (4 cyl) (the dealer loved us this year!). The CR-V cost us 28,200 while the Accord was 23,800 (both before PDI, taxes, etc.) Here are my impressions:

The CR-V seems more refined in most respects with lighter steering, tighter shifting, better brakes, nicer controls, etc. I find the new I-VTEC in the CR-V a better motor with less vibration and a flatter torque curve. The CR-V has lower gearing hence is much "sportier" around town but revs higher on the highway. The taller CR-V is nice in traffic, especially in the winter with the spray and stuff. Slightly more room in the CR-V but remember it is based on the Civic hence is only taller, really. I also find the build quality on the CR-V slightly better although the difference is minute (and subjective, I'm sure). I also believe the CR-V will get very good crash test scores considering the Civic (which it is based on) received outstanding frontal offset scores. The EX with side airbags, dual stage seat belts, etc., make it a safer vehicle than the Accord.

The Accord, however, is a better highway cruiser. The highway mileage will be considerably better (simply a smaller frontal area) and it revs 500 rpm lower at 120kph in 5th. Also, the strut front end in the CR-V does lead to slightly vague and unsteady stability at highway speed - nothing alarming but not as "easy" to drive as the Accord on the highway. The Accord SE also has heated seats and a moon roof which are nice (but the SE does not have the 6 disk changer and side airbags).

Overall the CR-V feels like a 2002 design while the Accord a 1998 design (amazing, eh?). I suspect the 03 Accord will change this.

My wife is a die hard Honda person, especially Accords. We ditched a Ford Windstar for the CR-V and she loves the thing, especially in the snow. However, she still likes the Accord (especially the heated seats). The CR-V wins her over, but barely.

In the end its a tough call. I do like the CR-V better, but here's an example of how good both are:
    We are taking the kids (4 and 2) down to Myrtle Beach in March and we cannot decide which vehicle to take! The CR-V has more room and is safer, while the Accord is easier to drive on the highway, gets better mileage, and has substantially more range on a tank of gas (bigger tank and better mileage).

Remember, this compares the 4 cyl. Accord. I cannot comment on the 6 cyl. In the end I like the CR-V better, but the Accord is pretty damn good as well! It really depends on what you really want.
  • Options
    mainmanmainman Member Posts: 4
    To #5523 - rver2 - I use a Roadmaster Sterling. It is expensive, but I love it. Hook-up is a cinch and the spring loaded feature makes it tow smoothly. I have the Roadmaster XL tow bracket, so when you are not towing you can't tell it is a "toad".

To #5524 - rsholland - The owner's manual contains instructions on running thru the gears and letting it idle in neutral for 3 minutes and take off. Again, I tow it 70mph, all day, with no problem.

Best of all, the speedo it electronic, so when you are towing, it does not register miles!
  • Options
    tomf11tomf11 Member Posts: 40
    anyone got a picture of the floor shifter as it is mounted in the car, never seen a stick shift CR-V.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I suspect though if the comparison was between an EXV6 and an CR-V auto, the scale may tip towards the Accord since amoungst other things the EXV6 would be a more effectless and quiet highway cruiser. BTW, how did you find the highway noise level on the CR-V?
  • Options
    mainmanmainman Member Posts: 4
    #5524 - rsholland - I forgot to say mine is an 01 4wd automatic
  • Options
    canwin2canwin2 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for the comparison, bfyerxa.
    In Canada MSRP for the 02 Accord EX V6 is $31,100.00, The 02 CR-V EX with Leather is $32,200.00 This CR-V is $1000.00 more. To convert to the US dollar divide by 1.6 .Check at www.honda.ca for pricing and feature packages. My 99 Accord EX V6 is a fine car especially on the highway. The dealer said my CR-V will be built on Feb. 14th and should arrive here on March 7th. Any other comparison oppinions between these two vehicles are welcome.
  • Options
    The price difference is even more if you factor in the fact that the Accord comes with an alarm system, which will cost approx $500 CDN for the CR-V. Plus, you almost must buy the tonneau cargo cover which is another $300 or so. So for about $2k LESS, the Accord gives you V6, driver and passenger power seats, variable wipers, climate control, auto-off headlights, steering wheel audio controls, Homelink. The Accord also has traction control but I guess the RT4WD more than makes up for that. We are having a tough time deciding between the two. We currently have a '97 CR-V so we like the utility and foul weather capability of the V, but it's tough to financially justify either the EX or the EX-L over the Accord.

Since you too will be a dual owner, we look forward to your review.
  • Options
    5 Speed and dash

Close up

Another close up

• Options
    zircon2zircon2 Member Posts: 94
    We have a 99 Accord vtec 4-cylinder 5-speed Ex. Great car. We also have a 02 CR-V Ex 5-speed (Canuck version). Also a great vehicle (my sentiments virtually echo those of bfyerxa. Accord is 2 cars in 1 - a tad noisy when booting it, but fun to drive. It gets great mileage and can go about 600 km (or more) on the highway. The V revs at 2800 @ 60mph, and about 3300 going 120 kph. I didn't crank it because it is breaking in, but the revs build quickly beyond 120kph. Despite this, the thing is amazingly quiet. I could easily keep this puppy as my own, but, alas, it is the spousal unit's. Go with the Accord if you want the sedate reliable (I have had a seat heater and 1 light bulb go in 60000km; we had no problems at all with 2000 CRV in 52000km). Accord is made in Ohio, the V in Japan (until late spring then Ontario gets only the British built ones). I may trade my accord for a Vibe, but I really am fond of it too. For a trip south with the troop, it is no comparison (to me). Load up the V and park the Accord. Despite higher revs and poorer mileage (we got 10L/100km in its first outing on the highway), it is a better family vehicle IMHO.

To me the big comparison is the '02 V 5 speed vs our previous 2000 CR-V auto, loaded. Here is how the new V blows it away.

1) Ton of torque and HP - no comparison. It just begs to be booted. Great acceleration.

2) Safety. Side bags, better restraints, anti-whiplash front seats, and it should get max. scores on offset tests etc. Older v got a 'marginal' score.

3) Roominess. We had 2 hockey bag and sticks, 1 huge suitcase, 3 small ones, and a small ice cooler neatly tucked away in back storage - no problem. I am 6'3" and can put the front seat all the way back, reclined, and then sit in the back seat with a little extra legroom.

4) 6-CD loader and tunes. Much, much better.

5) quietness. No comparison. At idle, you cannot hear it. On highway it sound like the old v at idle even though it is revving at 3000! A really nice improvement. It realy is quiet.

6) Instrument panel at night is much nicer. Includes heated mirrors and temp guage.

7) BONUS. All the V-s I looked at had those junky Bridgestones on it, but my sight-unseen V arrived with BF Goodrich Touring TAs. Same as our older V. Mileage rating is about 2x higher. Anyone have any idea why the same plant sending the identical model (Ex 5 speed) would send some with junk and some with goof tires? Weird.
    Things I don't like.

1) The colour combinations. We got the red one with the tan interior. My kid spilled orange juice before I could scotchguard it to protect its 'lovely' colour. The tan really sucks if you have kids (hello Honda - how about red exterior with....wait for it....the dark interior???).

2) The gas tank seems small. I didn't run the tank down, but it seemed as though I was going through half a tank in 225km. Perhaps it has a big reserve.

3) I miss my arm rests.

Overall, the new V is a really fun car to drive and it should excel in safety. Don't believe that V-6 crap you read about in simple comparisons to the Vue, Escape, and Hyundai. The new V will take 'em all on and spit them out. It is really fast with the 5-speed.

Accord and V are both great. Forthcoming Accord may get the current Acura TL base engine (dealer scuttlebutt). If so, I will tip my hat to Nissan for forcing Honda to crank the HP up to compete.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    If the new Accord looks anything like this (looks rather Altima-ish)

http://www.mag-x.com/scoop/accordwagon0110/00.jpg

• Options
    altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    I have ordered the 5 speed (silver) but only got the opportunity to test drive the automatic. Many people have commented lately about the high revs with the 5 speed at highway speeds. I am curious about why this is a problem. It doesn't seem to be a noise problem, and the difference in gas mileage seems negligible (between automatic and 5 speed). Do the high revs affect the handling? Is there some other reason why I should be concerned?
  • Options
    Yep. It looks pretty cool. Imagine it with 225HP too. A real grocery getter.
  • Options
    In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about. The 5 speed loves to rev. I bought it after testing only the auto, and my dealer said - if you like the auto, you'll love the 5 speed. It has no discerible effect on handling.

Pulling onto the highway, I could feel it asking me to crank it, but I showed restraint. Noise and wear are the 2 reasons (beyond gas mileage) I would worry, but I can assure you it did not get noisy until I hit 80mph (even then it was mainly from a howling wind). It is very quiet at 70mph. Honda loves high rev engines, and I have read nothing about wear problems in these powerplants. The auto will be easier to resell, but it lacks the soul of the 5 speed.
  • Options
    jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    I have a 2000 Accord LX-V6 and a 2002 CR-V EX, both automatics. I agree generally with what has been said about the handling comparison of these two vehicles above, but the V6 in the Accord really pushes it ahead of the new CR-V for me. My accord is more quiet, has much better acceleration and generally feels like a more substantial vehicle. I love both cars, but you can tell the Accord has a bit more feature content, because it doesn't have the expense of the 4 wheel drivetrain. The new V is a bit more fun to drive, though. It doesn't feel quite as subdued as the Accord. I think the characterization of the Accord as a highway cruiser and the V as a around town car is a good one. They are two great vehicles to have, and I feel privileged to own them both.
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    I used to have a 97 auto. My sister in law own a 99 5 speed. I noticed the 5 speed was much noisier on the highway turning close to 4,000 RPM at 80 mph (130 Kph) which is the speed I like to cruise on the highway. The auto was about 3,300 RPM at that speed. It will not hurt the engine in any way but it becomes tiring in the long run.

$32,200. CAN + Transport + PDI is a lot of money for a 4 Cyl CR-V. Before you make the move you should test drive the AWD Santa Fe GLS with shiftronic. If after that you still prefer the CR-V that's fine, just remember to test drive the competition BEFORE you buy!
  • Options
    I cannot compare the Accord and the CR-V, but I do own a '99 CR-V and a '01 Acura TL. This is how I see the differences. The TL is more comfortable, quieter, way more powerful, and generally more refined. But the CR-V has more character. The funky details (even the bad stuff) make it a pleasure to own and drive.
  • Options
    As mentioned by candiancl, the V6 Accord would be a different comparison once again. It seems most people like their V6 Accords over their CR-Vs. As for noise in the CR-V, I find it pretty good. Motor and wind noise are better than the Accord (especially wind noise). Also, road noise is better except the Bridgestones on the CR-V are noisy at speed. For our American friends, I recommend you NOT convert our prices directly to US$ as it will make you cry.

As for our trip down south, I am leaning towards the CR-V for the family space. It may be a moot point anyhow as I do not think I will have enough miles on the Accord for proper break-in before taking an 18 hour highway driving trip with it.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    On HEL strategy. I do this as I finance very short term. the present benchmarks allow low rate. What is most is can go up. Mine is only to change annually with 2% annual change. So a 6.0% equity line is tolerable if you can pay off early should it get to 8-10-12%. However even at 10% my fed and state taxes are fully deductable giving me an effective rate of 6.5% even at 10%. At your 5% or so you get a possible effective rate of 3.5% or so if you are in 27.5 % tax fed.
    I would only do these if I had cash to or ability to pay off should You move or rates go too high.
    I do like paying 100% of price to dealer and getting "clear title" but be careful not to get in over your head. With a 60month zero down financing for about 5.7% anywhere. Which option makes you feel better with 6 months into ownership and $5,000 wreck.
    INKY
    INKY
  • Options
    bmengottobmengotto Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know how to remove this bad boy? I was washing the car, and accidentally hit the wiper, moving it up a few notches. I didn't want to strip it and yank it back down. I lifted the rear cover up and noticed the nut. I removed the nut, but even with that removed, the arm wouldn't come off.
  • Options
    barker5barker5 Member Posts: 9
    I have an 02 crv-ex with about 2,000 miles. I've noticed that periodically - every other day or so - I'm getting a strong sulfer/rotten egg smell coming from the exhaust. It seems to burn off in about 5 to 10 minutes. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Could it be the sign of an engine or converter problem, or is it just normal break-in for this type of engine? Thanks!
  • Options
    ticktock4321ticktock4321 Member Posts: 41
    Why would we cry? How much does a litre of petrol cost these days? How about a can of Coca-Cola? Just pulling your leg....cheaper prices on some things are certainly offset by others (not that a can of pop can be compared to an auto). I used to travel to Canada quite a bit on business and my take on things was everything was smaller and more expensive than in the US. I liked looking at the Hondas on the road, at that time they had different trim designations than in the US. What's the donut place? Tim Horton's I'm thinking....liked them.
  • Options
    ckirk4ckirk4 Member Posts: 11
    Considering a 2002 CR-V, EX with AT. Live in an area of Kentucky where snow does not fall very often, however may get as much as 6 inches when it does occur. Also, must negotiate a steep asphalt runway when leaving main highway and going to residence. Can anyone expound on how the CR-V performs in snow and particularly on a steep asphalted hill that is snow covered?
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    The CR-V performs very well in snow. You may want to install winter tires to have the full benefit of AWD.
  • Options
    bailiebailie Member Posts: 12
    Anyone tried the go to message # feature. Doesn't work for me. Need help Thanks
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    bailie,

The "go to message" feature should work - the only problem is that it doesn't take you to the right number. You will notice that the numbers appearing next to the post, 5583 in this case, don't agree with the "actual" number registered for the post. Pass your mouse cursor over the message number to this post and you will see the URL in your browser shows 5788 instead.

When posts get removed, for whatever reason, the software counter doesn't correctly synchronize the numbers.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Nothing beats testimonials from actual owners!
  • Options
    Barker - That smell may be the RT4WD system as it is breaking in. This is normal, but you might want to have the dealer make sure that's all it is. It's tough to diagnose smells over the internet. =)

Ticktock - I agree. When you consider what our friends in Canada pay in taxes, you'll give them a break on car prices.

Ckirk4 - The CR-V behaves very well in the snow. For the few times that you'll need it, the CR-V is more than adequate. Just drive it like any other FWD car. When you need the extra push, it'll be there.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Matt Dillon and Chester? A certain host here is showing his age. Chester didn't even last the full run of the Gunsmoke series; IIRC, he left it by about the early 1960s.
    [I remember them well, mind you.]
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, I still have 9 months before I hit the big five oh. Miss Kitty never looks over the rail anymore when I amble in though....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    I have to ignore the Canadian tax situation in order to keep from slitting my wrists. Overall everything is cheaper in Canada when you do a straight $ conversion. However, when you factor in taxes and the fact we simply do not earn as much in Canada, we in fact do the crying. Come up to Canada with US$ and things will seem cheap, especially when you are able to get the GST back. Regardless, car prices are better here:

2002 CRV EX 5 speed MSRP + destination (ignore roof in states)
    Cdn$: 28700 + 850 = 29550 = $18321 US @ .62
    US$: 21500 + 440 = $21940 US

Even after tacking on 15% tax here in Ontario, that puts it at $21070 US. It is really more a tease to those South of the Border than a help to us. This is why US dealers are calling gray market cars from Mexico and Canada a real problem.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    bfyerxa: Looks like the conversion rate is the same for the dollars as it is for miles v. kilometers, .62! The end is near!
  • Options
    cgphil1cgphil1 Member Posts: 29
    I realize that this is a CR-V forum, but many folks including myself cross-shop between the Forester and the CR-V. If anyone is interested, here is a link to pictures of the 2003 Forester on the SOA media website.

http://www.media.subaru.com/

• Options
    kenitosankenitosan Member Posts: 3
    Have anyone hear seen the Honda Pilot prototype?
    This SUV has no distinguishable look from the
    curent CR-V. It looks like a CR-V on steroid. What
    were the North America R&D department think of
    when they hatched this idea. Were they smoking too
    much pots? And the headquater in Japan must be
    spending too much time on the golf course to approve this design. I am a royal Honda customers but I just can't believe this crap they come up with. I thought Honda finally gets it when the
    2001 Civic and MD-X came out. They look different
    and distinguish. I have to admit as much as I
    hated the Jeep Grand Cherokee or disliked the
    Lexus RX-300, they look *different*. So what is
    the added value of this giant piece of metal ball?
    Seats 8 ? A stretch GM SUV Limo can seat more
    than that. I would rather buy a MD-X then this
    Peelot.
  • Options
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Steve - Thanks for passing word onto Karen. I've been "respelled". =)

Kenitosan - Wait until you see one in person. Other than the obvious headlights, there really aren't many similarities.

Thanks for the Soob link. I like the details, but the overall shape doesn't win any awards. The taillights are nice and it looks like they have a lift-glass like the CR-V. Good idea.
  • Options
    swpe8swpe8 Member Posts: 2
    I went to the Honda dealer yesterday and he said that there is No Negotiation on the CR-V (or the Odyssey). The model sells at sticker price. I hadn't heard this mentioned on the boards at all and he mentioned this is the same for all dealers nationwide. Is this true? Thanks for your response.
  • Options
    Bob_in_VABob_in_VA Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Central Virginia...most dealers around here are starting over sticker, but will easily come down to sticker price. Found one dealer through a friend that will go $500 under and cost for options...a good deal. Contacted my credit union buying service and got a price of $200 over invoice for an EX (and NO processing fee)...needless to say I ordered it on the spot. Could take 2-3 months, but to save $1700 it's worth it.
  • Options
    odds009odds009 Member Posts: 25
    Just a simple suggestion....
    If you are planning to buy a new 2002 CR-V, I suggest you send e-mail to all Honda dealers around your are. Make an offer and the car you want. This really works, I got mine at $1200 below msrp and i did not ask for any options.
    I got my car within 3 weeks...Yesssssssss

Try it!!! There's no hassle and negotiation involved.

Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    timz58timz58 Member Posts: 44
    We will be picking up our 02 CRV EX-A the day after tomorrow at St. Johns Honda in Portland. Paid MSRP (22740) + about another 700 for air deflector, mud guards, door edge guards, retractable cargo cover and trailer hitch. Also bought extended warranty at $1070 (6yr 100K) on the advice of my mechanic due to the cost of replacement or repair of air bags or engine electronics. We also own a 99 Accord EX (4 cyl) and are extremely happy with the car. 77K miles with nothing other than new tires and routine maintenance. I hope our CRV is as satisfactory. We will be towing it behind our MH using a Stowmaster 5000 towbar. For those of you who are interested, Camping world has the best prices for towbars and installation costs are low. Brackets and wiring will run $350-400.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Cleaner looking exterior details...but I'm still not thrilled about the styling.
  • Options
    acor2acor2 Member Posts: 16
    any cyclists out there?
    can you really put 2 Mtn Bikes in the
    back w/o taking off the front tires as the
    CRV brochure shows?
  • Options
    They seem to have reduced the height of the greenhouse and increased road clearance slightly, which would help to make it look less dorky.
  • Options
    canwin2canwin2 Member Posts: 9
    The ETA on my 02 CR-V is March 7th. I have to go on a 4 hour trip on the 9th. What are the recommended do's and do not's for the first period with this vehicle and what happens when their not adhered to.