Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Would like to know if anyone has gotten a good deal on a crv ex with no options in the tri-state area. I'm getting the run around they trying to charge me 2 dest.charge 440 x 2 Thank you
  • johncrvjohncrv Member Posts: 9
    yuclin, yes, the security system in my LX was dealer installed. The total price, including installation was $234. No hood or moonroof alarm included; I didn't want to pay extra for the hood-alarm and the lx model has no moonroof.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Those other SUVS are not close to long term benefits of a Honda. You have seen the $316 over invoice deals. Why not hook into one of those if you can wait a month or two for a Honda.
    INKY
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    if you don;t mind traveling to jersey, you can get a much better deal there than in ny or CT. my advice would be stay away from paragon/white plains honda they are crooks. i know yonkers honda had a few in stock a couple of weeks ago, and the guy was pretty desperate to sell them. i would suggest getting e-mail addresses from all the dealerships within your travle limit (50-75 miles) from honda's website. e-mail them all at once stating that you are sending out requests for cr-v in particular color and configuration, tell them that you are ready to take delivery right now, and the lowest price over the invoice will get the deal. you have nothing to lose that way. out of 20-30 dealerships at least 10 will reply.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    An aftermarket moonroof runs about $300 for a pop-up to $900 or so for a power retractable unit. These are for ASC models installed and with a lifetime warranty. Adler & Mandel in Rockville, MD, installed mine.

Varmint: make sure you wash that undercarriage. Even the 2nd time I washed mine, there was plenty of sand coming off.

Raymond: if you like the Outback but want more pep, consider a Legacy GT wagon. It's smaller diameter tires make the gearing effectively 7% shorter, and it's quicker than the Outback. You get AWD, ABS w/4 discs, 16" alloys, roof rack, power everything, cruise, keyless, two moonroofs, and a 5/60 powertrain warranty plus 3 years of roadside assistance.

Fitzmall.com has them starting at $22,036 freight included. It's Subaru's best kept secret.

-juice
  • zopszops Member Posts: 49
    This is not the click from the solenoid just before you stop.
    It happens after you accelerate for about 20 feet, near gear transition.
    Actually it only occurs after you turn the car off, restart and then accelerate. While driving you hear nothing, even if you come to a stop and then accelerate, or come to a stop (put in park, then into drive) and then accelerate.
    Only happens each time after you start your car
    and proceed. No noise while driving.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You get the roof rails, but not the crossbars. Only Subie Outbacks, Outback Sports and Foresters get both the crossbars and roof rails.

Bob
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    I still have the net and tray from my Accord. Wondering if the net will work. If anybody has the cargo tray can you let me know if you can still add the net when the tray is in place. Thanks.

Hit 100 miles, haven't heard a clicking or a clank. But you know what, I don't listen very carefully. If I did I'd drive myself crazy. Cars make noises, yes things like clunks when you shift into gear aren't good things, but hopefully I'll be able to tell a good noise from a bad noise. Have felt the brake pulsation with the wipers, though ;-). It's rained everyday I've had it. If it's going to be bad weather I want it to be snow (this is Chicago!) so I can experience the 4WD.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Truth, Bob, but you don't get cross bars on any Honda if my memory serves me correctly.

-juice
  • king32king32 Member Posts: 2
    At 2000 miles, I'm still getting between 20 mpg city and 25 mpg highway; hoping it will improve with more time to break in and warmer weather.

I ordered the crossbars from handa-accessories - a good deal less than list. The shop where I bought a ski rack said they'd install everything, including the crossbars, for $50, but encouraged me to do it myself since it looked so easy - even gave me the correct size hex wrench to use for the honda parts. It took me a bit longer than I expected for 12 bolts - Most went in ok, but they fit very tightly and were difficult to get threaded. My husband showed up and helped with a couple bolts, but neither of us could get the last one in. Put on the ski rack and headed up to the mountains anyway.

I will try again on the last bolt -
    Rockycow - what do you mean by "I used a tap on the threads on the roof" ?
    I, too, was scared of stripping threads or the top of the bolt.

Am curious about driving (in snow, or otherwise) with overdrive - on or off? It was very snowy , and I had read in the manual that o/d could be turned off for more control in snow, so I tried this - for about 1000' elevation change in a few miles, 40-50 mph, and when I got out, I noticed it smelled very hot - so am wondering if this was the wrong use of o/d - i.e., uphill vs. downhill? I'm not used to auto transmission o/d, and of course the manual doesn't say much. thanks.
    HI once again. Is anyone getting better then msrp for the 2002 crv ex in the NY area if so please help with the info of dealer and name of person who you delt with thank u
  • joebikeriderjoebikerider Member Posts: 2
    I have, up until today just lurked in this discussion group, but now think I have something of value to contribute. I to own a 2002 CR-V EX Auto and hear the noise described by zops, bajie2 and others as the "cling clang" noise. If it's the same noise I am experiencing the cause is the ABS self-test. Once during each start up and drive away the vehicles ABS brake system initiates a self-test. The self-test checks the ABS systems electronics and cycles the hydraulic modulator (the noise you hear). I do not know exactly what determines the protocol but have a hunch it is at some pre-determined speed (~3-6 MPH) each time the car is started and driven.

This self-check should not be confused with the other "clicky sound" that is the reverse lockout solenoid and can be heard each an every start and stop in all 2002 automatic transmission equipped CR-V's.

I did a web search for ABS self-check and found several interesting articles and threads describing this sound in addition to various complaints of this "noise" from a wide variety of car owners. I would post url's but am afraid some are to other automotive forums and believe that may be against Town Hall rules.

This seems like the best place to test this diagnosis. Is anyone experiencing this sound is driving a non-ABS equipped 2002 CR-V? I think that would mean only LX models here in the US.

In closing, I find it entertaining that so many people find the sounds of self-tests and safety features so annoying. Turn up the stereo and drive!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I know of a source that can probably verify it. I'll ask and post whatever I find.
    Excellent post about the ABS causing the noise.
    I hope you are right. I will find out next tuesday, which is when I take it in to the dealer to'duplicate' the 'clang' noise.
    Otherwise, the CRV is an excellent SUV.
    Great price and just as much, if not more, interior passenger volume than the 4runner.
    Passport, Nissan Pathfinder, Jerokee Laredo and Isuzu Rodeo. And gas mileage to boot. The high torque at the low RPMs is the key.
    Who cares about about high torque at 6000 RPM unless you intend on passing someone at >70 mph.
    How often is that!!
    Very pleased. I can live without the huge cargo volume. If I need to tarnsport more material i will just 'tumble' the rear seats.
    I presume you meant the noise only after startup and drive away in DRIVE. You do not here it during startup/reverse, but only in drive.
  • bajie2bajie2 Member Posts: 18
    But my car is an LX model, doesn't even have
    ABS!!
  • joebikeriderjoebikerider Member Posts: 2
    Zops: Correct, the reverse lockout solenoid 'click noise' is an electric solenoid that keeps the shifter, on automatic models from being forced from drive to reverse before the vehicle is nearly stopped or stopped. It would have no functionality in reverse. It can be heard if you listen carefully while accelerating in drive somewhere about 5 mph (locks reverse out on shifter) and also braking to a stop in drive at about 3 mph (allows reverse on shifter). It is difficult to tell the exact speed because of the speedometers lack of resolution in that range.

We wouldn't want to shift into reverse accidentally at speed would we? I would hate to think of the damage! Some automatic equipped cars have had similar features to this since the early days but possibly used different ways to actuate it. When I think of how a solenoid is designed and manufactured (an electromagnet in a tin can) I think there could be a good deal of variance in sound output. I think this is why some people notice it and others don't.

I personally do not find either the 'click sound' or the 'cling clang' noise very objectionable. Perhaps if enough people complain Honda will specify a quieter solenoid or mount it in a remote, isolated area instead of the dash.

Bajie: Thanks for your input; this is exactly what a forum like this is good for! I think I have my sound pegged but as I cant really hear yours (not from here:-) I don't know if it's the same.

Three cars just isn't much data to work with. Does anyone else with a 2002 CR-V care to help us with this one?
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    When I went to install the crossbars on my brother-in-laws 2002 CRV I had a devil of a time getting the flange bolts started. I noticed that the threads on the roof rack had paint in them that was overspray from the body. I got a 6X1.0 tap and cleaned out the threads and the bolts were easy to install. The tap is a device that has the same thread dimensions as the threads in your roof rack. a handle fits onto the tap and you screw in the tap just like you do the bolts but the tap cuts away any burrs or paint so the bolt works smoothly. Go to your local honda dealer and borrow a tap or have one of the mechanics run a tap in the threads for you. They shouldn't charge you for this. Or take the flange bolt to Sears find out what the thread size is (I believe I used a 6X1.0 metric) and buy the appropriate tap and handle.
    Kind of wordy but hope this helped.
    rockycow
  • eludwigeludwig Member Posts: 82
    Inky, I have never heard of this. Is it a national promotion, or just in certain states?
    just wanted to know what prices yous guys paid for a 2002 crv ex. I read alot of post of people with the new crv Thanks and if you know anyone in NY area with a good deal.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I don't have an '02 CR-V (yet) so I haven't heard this cling clang noise first-hand. However, I don't think it is the ABS self-test. I have owned or driven a number of late-model Honda products and the ABS self-test is best described as a brief electric motor hum/buzz kind of noise. (My 11-year-old son says it sounds like the car farting!). I would still put my money on the problem being tranny-related.
    Maybe your son should write for Edmunds! =)
    Inky is referring to the price Mark Roberts Motors in Bartlesville, OK charges. They are an excellent dealership. I bought and Ody from them and have a CRV on order for April delivery. The rub? You've got to wait your turn. The price for my EX Auto 21356 out the door. pay your tax and license when you get home. They have a web site autoinvoice.com-my salesman is John Page. Inky turned me on to them in Sept 1998.
    rockycow
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    Sorry about the noises that bother you, hopefully they get a fix for it. To me, it's not very noticeable, not as annoying as the little coin holder that rattles in my 99 accord on occasion. Once it gets going it won't stop, but only does so during the right temperature/road surface combinations.
    Don't worry about posting pics either, we're already set to get it done next monday with classic soft trim. Besides, posting a picture on this board is a little more involved than I thought. You need to link a URL to your post. I'm going to try and post a pic of mine tomorrow, since I just got my rims put on a couple days ago.
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133

Had the windows tinted down to 31% all around, and put 16x7 rims on with 215/60 Avid H4's. The ride/comfort quality is equal to the Duelers, but the noise and handling are much improved.

Have a good day everybody...
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Rockycow is on the money. We are not allowed to give out dealer phone numbers but you can see prices and a lot more
    at www.autoinvoice.com
    INKY
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You guys...and gals!

ALL cars have certain noices that are totally normal and are a charastic part of that particular car. If it's something loud or troublesome, for crying out loud, take it back to the dealer!

I think what may be happening here is one poster reports a certain sound and assumes it's a problem. Then, others check out their own CRV.

MINE DOES IT TOO!!!

Relax....enjoy your CRV!! :)
  • jd150jd150 Member Posts: 13
    Could someone who knows, rank the colors of the CR-V according to demand and then availibility?
    Different colors have higher demand in different areas. There may be one that is generally in high demand, but it would be difficult to establish which one without info from someone who sees the big picture (the manufacturer). Data from one or two dealers would be biased by the location where they sell.
  • fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    My new cr-v shipped on feb 18 and should be here in a few weeks. YEE HAA. Silver EX Auto. When I went to the dealer and asked about the status, I noticed myself drooling over a cr-v on the floor. I kept thinking how much better it will in my driveway. 13 years is a long time to wait. I will miss my prelude though when I finally say goodbye.
    I know this was discussed before, but what are the different tire/wheel combinations that can be used on this vehicle? If I keep the current rims what other tire sizes are available?
    TIA
    Interesting, but I'd have to fly to OK and drive back to Seattle. If I lived closer it would be a great deal!
    Colors....well, yes it does vary by area. For example, it's nearly impossible to sell a black car in a hot area, etc...

But, here in Seattle...and I could be off a bit...

1..Silver, by far!
    2. Oh, probably blue or green
    3. Red, black and white all about the same
    4. Mohave Mist

Did I miss any?

First time I saw a Mohave Mist one, I said..Oh, yuck! What was Honda thinking?

Surprisingly, it's actually well liked by a lot of people. Even though it wouldn't be my first choice, it's looking better to me all the time.

It always amazes me how important COLOR is to some people! What one person likes, another can't stand...
    Where do you sell Hondas in the Seattle area?

I agree with silver as #1 in the Puget Sound area, but I might put black as #2 ; )
  • jd150jd150 Member Posts: 13
    Does it follow then, that a Mojave Mist would be easier to locate without a wait? In other words, if you like that color will your chances of finding one thats ready to sell be greater than for some of the other colors? Thanks again.
  • johncrvjohncrv Member Posts: 9
    Here is another random sample:

Silver seems to be number one in the San Francisco area as well. I own a silver one. Except for a red crv, I haven't seen any other colors but silver ones at my local dealer.
    actually looks pretty good in EX-Leather trim with the body colour bumpers, molding and hard spare tire cover. Tan leather interior is a big improvement on the saddle cloth too But then that trim is not available in the States! hehehe :)
  • jheiljheil Member Posts: 30
    Inky,

We purchased a Green EX Auto from them. The tan interior is not nearly as bad as what others have mentioned IMHO. The only soft sell we received was on the extended warranty. After declining a couple of different times they were still very friendly. In and out of the dealership in less than hour laden with a coat, pen, stress reliever and key chain. Found out Mark Roberts is a nephew of Oral Roberts. Not sure what that might mean for the longetivity of the CR-V but but it was a point of interest. John Page was very realisitic on when it would likely arrive. It was a pleasure to do business with them.
    In the store where you bought your car and had the bad experience. I read your complaint in another thread and put your name in the computer when I got to work late that day.

And I believe you...I'll try to temper this a bit...you worked with a very poor salesperson who lasted only a short time in our store. He came from another store highly reccommended. He left that store for a shorter commute. He is back working there today. I read his notes and I have to agree with you. Not the norm for our store and I'm glad he is long gone.

On colors...well, it always helps to have a second or third choice. Still, If I hated a color I wouldn't buy it because of price or availability.
  • geneseedepotgeneseedepot Member Posts: 30
    Sure, rub it in. BTW, I think the Mojave Mist on a canadian-optioned Leather/EX is a nice looking vehicle. That and I've owned a silver car for the past 5 years - need a change.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I am getting a red EX next week.It is already in my name.Red takes me back to childhood when I was
    a poor small town boy and I envied the kid who had
    the bright red Honda 90 motorcycle.He had his dream as a child I waited forty years for mine.
    actually I had a 98 Explorer Sport which I ordered
    from the factory 3 years ago but I gave it up last year so my wife could have her dream Acura TL.This SUV is to feed my urge for one while
    correcting all the flaws I found in the Explorer.
    A few were,gas hog,poor ride,poor quality interior,only 2 doors,stability at freeway speeds,
    etc.
    The silver in EX-L looks mighty sharp too ;) Oh yeah, and the heated mirrors, heated seats and temp gauge come in handy on those frosty days :)))P
  • wyorebwyoreb Member Posts: 45
    does anyone have the scoop on when the swindon crv's hit the u.s.?

also, can anyone give me a three line overview of what the toyota matrix is and when it is available?

thanks!
  • chefschefs Member Posts: 16
    Have been driving my cousin crv 01 for a few months since my car is under repair.I have notice the noise level coming from outside is to loud during day time driving,and even more louder at night (window up and radio off). The car is great, but the noise level is can of uneasy. Specially if you always drive home late at night after work.Is the 2002 crv have the same noise level as of 2001. Can anyone share their experiences? THANK YOU
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Before I choose CRV I drove both 130 & 180 hp versions.The one I would consider is more powerful
    but the engine has to be revved to make it.Price was $19500 for loaded XRS (180 hp 5spd).The styling is a little too radical for me.
  • jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    I've read complaints on the hondasuv.com site regarding excessive tire noise on the 2002 model, even if the tire pressure is correct.

The 2002 model is supposed to be very quiet as far as engine and wind noise are concerned. Every single review that I have read says so. Tire/road noise? Would be interesting to get feedback from new 2002 owners.
  • zircon2zircon2 Member Posts: 94
    02 is much quieter than previous generation. We have/had Goodrich tires (factory) on both of them.
    We drove a crv from OK to CO 670 miles. Goodrich tires it was not as noisy as my Odyssey. I thought it had a very acceptable interior noise level.
  • surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know if the OEM or aftermarket wheels are as nice as the stock EX wheels? I would like to possibly dress up a LX. Would better tires make the noise level better. Come on owners "fess up" What is the noise level in the new CRV on the hwy?? Wondering because both are availabe to me. Thanks Mark
  • altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    I've had my new CR-V for nearly a week and put around 400 miles on it. I do not perceive any problem with road noise. As with the RSCN (reverse solenoid clicking noise) that has been so widely discussed here, there seems to a wide variance in the degree to which individuals tolerate certain noises. That may be due to individual differences and/or what you are used to. Some of us older guys may just be experiencing hearing loss. :)

I just asked my wife her opinion and she said that the CR-V was quieter than our Windstar. I know it is easy for me to go too fast in the CR-V and I think that is partly because you don't get the sound cues that suggest higher rates of speed. My suggestion is that you should take a long test drive and see for yourself.