Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Yes I am having second thoughts but then 2 weeks wait versus 2 months wait is no big deal.Green must not be a popular color.My son works for a major Ford dealer and he does the new car prep so
    he knows what sells and he says silver is #1 but green is last.The other thing that worries me is this discussion of road noise.If it is not any noisier than my Acura CL with Michelin tires it will be okay.I drove the Escape on a 100 mile trip
    out to Julian and back and did not notice noise
    but I did notice a rough ride and lack of low rpm torque so that I turned off O/D in the twisty roads.I am hopeing my CRV is better than Escape.
    I did notice I did not feel claustrophobic in the CRV like I did in other mini utes.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Ah, it's the "normal conditions" that is throwing me off. Since those conditions only apply to about 20% of North America (places where it never snow, rains, and the streets are paved with marble), I tend to forget that they they exist. Thanks.
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    jvkalra: If you can wait a few months (like May or June) test drive the 2003 Forester to see if it is quiet enough for you. Honda builds great vehicles, yet there is a chance the new Forester will please you more in this area.

tomsr: Don't worry, the CR-V is going to be way quieter than the Escape! Not to mention all the other ways it beats that vehicle. Yet it is hardly reasonable to expect any SUV (which tend to be tall and boxy) to run as quietly as a near-luxury sedan.
  • Options
    moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    jvkalra;
    i have got to second varmint's recommendation on the michellin x-one's.

if your only disatisfaction with the crv is with the highway ride, replacement tires are the solution, and at less than the $1k remedy you allowed.

not only will there be less noise (in all situations), there will be a more luxurious ride due to the premium tire design and materials. see tirerack.com for details and less expensive alternatives as well. try comparing the crv oem tire ratings (esp for noise & comfort) with other prospects like the x-ones.

if not your only concern, then you are not fairly evaluating the vehicle or your needs.
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    I'd be very interested in your impressions, especially of the Stream, Jazz and HRV. It's too bad we don't get any of these here. The Jazz would be an awesome "Echo" competitor, a great commuter, over 50 mpg (who needs hybrids!). I think honda should market it as their entry level car, particularily as they have dropped the low-priced Civic hatch from their lineup (the new Si is a premium-priced hatch). The Stream would slot in nicely below the Odyssey for those who would occasionaly need to carry 7 but don't want the bulk/expense/poor gas mileage of the Odyssey.
    HRV would slot in nicely below the CR-V to do battle with the Vibe/Matrix and low-priced versions of the VUE, Escape etc.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Although I respect your opinion I found your post to be a bit over the fence.

And...sorry, but you are the rare exception. I hear it all and have yet to hear this from one customer. This was not the case with the previous model although few people complained. Heck, I just turn the radio up a bit!

Still, no one car will please everyone.

Some buyers will zero in one one element when buying a car. It might be safety, gas mileage, styling etc. For you, I guess it's road noise.

The people who mentioned changing the tires are correct. A different tread design can make a world of difference!
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    I've got 50K+ on my Ody and did 660 highway miles in a 2002 CRV EX with tires at 35lbs. The CRV was much quieter than my Ody, at least with the Goodrich tires. Ody has MX3 michelins
  • Options
    Now, that's interesting. I wouldn't have thought the CRV would have been quietier.
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    will have 200 and 250 hp versions. Ours is only 160.

http://mag-x.com/scoop/accord0202/index.html

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I haven't yet seen a 4 cyl Highlander. Fitzmall.com only has V6s in stock right now. A FWD model costs $25.6k, while AWD models go from $29k-33k.

They cost a lot but IMHO these are quite substantial vehicles. Think of them as a roomier, bargain-priced RX300 and you get the idea.

As long as you get a production date later than July 2001 you'll be sludge-free.

-juice
  • Options
    bajie2bajie2 Member Posts: 18
    Is it normal that when my 200 CR-V get to
    speed arond 55mph-60mph, there is very noticable
    humming sound developed. My tire pressure is
    only 26psi. The sound may come from engine.

Just curious.
  • Options
    susanlmsusanlm Member Posts: 15
    Here's an update on my rocking front seats in my 2002 CR-V. I picked up my CR-V from the service manager and he allowed me to sit in two other 2002 CR-V's on his lot. They were still wrapped in their plastic sheeting and still had that marvelous new car smell! Ah, but I digress... Anyway, I sat in both CR-V's and sure enough, both the driver and front passenger seats in those CR-V's rocked slightly also. The service manager told me he tried to tighten mine as much as he could but I felt no difference in it. He said it was definitely not loose and it should not be a safety concern but if it gets worse to let him know. What do you think? Maybe this is a candidate for a recall if so many of them rock?

As far as noise goes in my CR-V, I couldn't be happier with the amount of noise. You want to hear a noisy car, listen to the 1999 CR-V automatic which is what I traded in to get the 2002 CR-V. When I drove in that thing, I had to put the radio up almost full blast just to be able to hear it (although, in my opinion, the standard radio that comes with the 1999 CR-V really was below par!). But with my 2002, I can have the windows open, the moonroof open and still hear the radio when it's just at half volumn. Even with all my "issues" with my 2002 CR-V, I am so happy I got it!

Susan
  • Options
    susanlmsusanlm Member Posts: 15
    Another quick question...I've never had a moonroof before. Is the one on the 2002 CR-V EX 4A supposed to open all the way so that it retracts into the roof completely? Or is it supposed to open so that approximately 3-4 inches are still exposed like mine does?

Thanks.

Susan
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    For previous CR-V owners, the 2002 must feel very quiet. For someone looking at the CR-V the first time, maybe the highway road noise is a factor to consider.
  • Options
    altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    My moonroof does not retract completely either and I think that is normal. Check out the 360 degree view showing an open moonroof at the following location.

http://www.hondacars.com/models/cr-v/qtvrs.html?show=8

• Options
    rocky5656rocky5656 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks, Slugline for the info on tranys.
    I'm a Toyota guy trying out this Honda. My 89 Camry has 300,000 plus kms. and still runs like a sewing machine. (V6)
    Must say I like the CRV so far, wish we had more snow to try out the 4 wheel drive stuff.
    Something I've used in the Toyota engine is adding a half can of Moly Slip E in every second oil change. Is it helping? Won't know till teardown time, if it ever comes! :)
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    texvamtexvam Member Posts: 5
    If you are ready to pull the trigger, do it. $18,600 is $560 over invoice according to Kelly Blue Book provided info (02 LX 2WD w/SideSRS $19,490 MSRP). Which Houston dealer is quoting this?
  • Options
    bonypartebonyparte Member Posts: 30
    So, Edmunds picked the Ford Escape/Mazda Liberty
    as their mini-suv. The Honda CR-V was honorable
    mention. Of all the suv's out there, I guess that is pretty good.
  • Options
    I don't understand how reviewers rate cars. Here are some things Edmunds says

http://www.edmunds.com/new/ford/index.html

Ford Escape

What Edmunds Says: A very capable small SUV thanks to its powerful V6 engine, spacious cabin, handsome looks and car-like handling. One of our favorites.

Pros: Strong V6 engine, comfortable cabin, plenty of cargo space, car-like road manners.

Cons: Lacks the off-road capability of a truck-based SUV, barely adequate base engine, shoddy build quality, unrefined interior materials.

And you should read some of the horror stories from owners under consumer rating

Honda CR-V

http://www.edmunds.com/new/honda/index.html

What Edmunds Says: The longtime benchmark of the "soft roader" mini-SUV class, the CR-V is even better for 2002. Drive it. You'll like it.

Pros: Highly versatile and roomy interior, stable handling, comfortable ride, high crash-test scores.

Cons: No V6 available, limited off-road ability

And almost total satisfaction from owners

Yet Edmunds picks the Escape over the CR-V. Porbably mostly based on the V-6.

• Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    <<My 89 Camry has 300,000 plus kms. and still runs like a sewing machine. (V6)>>

That slow eh? :)
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I bet if Honda offered a small displacement V-6 or a larger displacement I-4, the CR-V would be the top pick.
  • Options
    I respect Edmunds in general, but this statement is a turkey. It might be an observation about the CR-V that it isn't specifically designed for off-road use, but it is in no way a "con" (as in argument against the car). The CR-V isn't an off-road vehicle because it wasn't meant to be that (and because few people really want an off-road vehicle, and they have other choices if they do). Listing the limited "off-road" capability as a "con" is like saying, "This elegant custom knife is a mediocre screwdriver."
  • Options
    angelica2angelica2 Member Posts: 30
    I have the same rocking problem with the drivers seat (the passenger seat feels solid, no movement). I also brought mine into the dealer and I got the same response from service tech. He told me that he sat in several new CRV's and they all did the same thing. As I left the lot I was once again annoyed at this dealer as they chalked the problem up to "the other CRV's have the same problem." Like you mentioned, maybe it isn't normal and the seats need to be RECALLED. Did you have a problem with the response from your service tech when he told you "it SHOULD not be a safety issue" it seems he left the safety issue open for discussion. I have a call in to my service tech again because the seat really bother me over the weekend. Each time I accelerated the seat rocked. The first time I brought in car for the seat problem they told me they tightened everything down and there was nothing else they could do. When I paid more attention to the problem I noticed that the movement was not coming from the floor rails, it seemed to be coming from the bottom of the seat where it attaches to the rails (does that make sense). Anyway, between this and my clicking noise, I've had it with this car.
  • Options
    If Honda would just put out a V-6 to rival the Escape in power, it would clearly win every comparison test. As evidenced by the sales number, it certainly doesn't need the V-6 to sell, but some bragging rights could do the company good.
  • Options
    I had the same problem with my 1996 Pontiac Sunfire - after many trips to the service bay, the dealer finally replaced the whole seat. That fixed that problem but then the springs (I assume) for the lumbar support started to squeak in cold weather. That was never fixed. I don't know much about Honda, but if enough people complain about this, maybe they will do something. Is there a way to issue a complaint/question/suggestion thru Honda's web site?
    To angelica2 - I will be getting my CR-V EX in a week or two - I hope that is the only problems I encounter (seat and clicking which I believe is the device that prevents the transmission from shifting into reverse while moving - at least that is what I've seen on this and other forums).
    Foreign cars seem to have this thing about clicking sounds - I had a Corolla that did this for the brakes - it was annoying.
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Remember, Edmunds annointed the XTerra the king of mini-SUVs in their previous comparison, a vehicle that -- even at that time -- really didn't suit that many people. What is disappointing is the timing of this last comparison test. Mere weeks passed before it was completely obsolete. How could anyone be shopping this segment this winter without even briefly considering the successor to the perennial sales leader CR-V, or the highly anticipated Saturn VUE? I hope we will see a more complete shootout in another publication.

And wait a minute . . . "high crash-test scores" for the CR-V???????

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_smsuv.htm
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/ncap/Cars/2002SUVs.html
    http://www.crashtest.com/honda/ie.htm

At the time of this posting, I don't see any results for the '02 CR-V. Crystal ball? Well-placed inside sources? Or has Edmunds developed its own proprietary crash-test facility?
  • Options
    onroadonroad Member Posts: 2
    I'm still driving the '99 CRV, AWD. Has anybody had the problem of the rear differential oil "burning up"? Seems kind of strange at only 45,000 miles.
  • Options
    slugline: If I remember correctly, Edmunds has previously reported that Honda "confidently expects" the CR-V to do well in crash tests, and they (Edmunds) are ready to believe that. My guess was that Honda told Edmunds it had done its own vigorous testing, and that Edmunds was privately ready to believe the company (based on prior experience) when it showed that much confidence in its products.

About the rocking chairs, wasn't there earlier posting to the effect that there are deficient bushings in the CR-V seat assembly?
  • Options
    hcmmikehcmmike Member Posts: 19
    to respond to storyteller, yes, there have been posts here and on another site that the problem is in the bushings and has been fixed for some people. Others are being told it isn't a problem and/or it can't be fixed. I'm due to take mine in shortly to be looked at...when I phoned the dealer, they said they were unaware of any other complaints so I have printed some of the postings here.

Another question. Until my 2002 CR-V, I have had a stick in all my cars. My auto CR-V rolls backward when I am stopped on top of a hill or incline and take my foot off the brake. Is this unusual? I don't recall having this experience the few times I have driven someone else's auotmatic over the years.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    There have been numerous posts and comments both here and in the Hondasuv.com message boards about the '01 and earlier rear differentials developing noise problems much earlier than the fluid change interval recommended by Honda. Usually changing the fluid at 30,000 miles (or when it starts making noise) fixes the problem. I believe Honda has actually changed the recommended fluid for the rear differential. It's called "dual pump fluid."

While I haven't noticed any noise, I had mine changed last month when my '99 EX was in for the 30,000 mile service. Your Honda dealer's service department should know about the problem, at least mine did and has added it to their 30,000 mile service list for CR-Vs.
  • Options
    rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    Yes Honda is aware of this problem. At least Honda Canada is. My dealer informed me that he has had a few complaints about it and that Honda is working on a fix and will be issuing a bulletin when an adequate supply of replacement parts are available to ship out.

The problem is premature wear of the bushings that ride in the seat rails.

If it's extremely bad then they will do something as it becomes a safety issue but if it's just annoying then you'll have to wait.

-Rob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Remember: the editors that test these press fleet vehicles do NOT pay for the gas! Or the insurance, for that matter. Or the repair bills.

Of course they pick the V6 - it costs them absolutely nothing, and they risk nothing.

-juice
  • Options
    How does Honda issue their bulletins? Do owners get a notice in the mail (or email)? Will this be reported by sites like Edmunds, AAA etc?
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    I don't think anyone has mentioned a problem with the passenger seat. Anyone?

Why would the driver's seat only be a problem? Doesn't the passenger seat have the same bushings, rails, etc.? Is it because people aren't checking the passenger seat or does it have to do with the driver's seat being adjusted more, or whatever?
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    No one here has noticed that of all the reviews in magazines....

THE ESCAPE IS OFTEN A FRACTION OF A SECOND SLOWER OR IT HAS THE SAME ACCELERATION AS THE '02 CRV!!!!

then the article might say that it needs more power compared to the v6 escape....what have they been smoking???
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    That's how I view the CR-V. Even someone here a few posts ago said the CR-V would do much better with a larger displacement 4 banger or a V6. First off, how much larger would you like the 4 cylinder to be? I believe 2.4L is the largest displacement 4 cylinder Honda has ever had. Second, this vehicle wasn't meant to have a V6. The Escape/Tribute's are underpowered with their 4's, perhaps this was true for the original CR-V (and even that is debatable) but I don't think it is true with the second generation. The Tribape (did I get that right Varmint?) needs the V6. And thirdly, how much better would the CR-V do with those changes? They sell everyone they make.

IMO either people should deal with the CR-V for what it is or move on to something else. Perhaps the Pilot with it's V6 will be more to their liking.
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    Could someone please answer my question. See post #5883.
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Come to think of it, the driver's seat of my '91 Civic Si hatch rocked sideways(slightly) when cornering. Seems like this is a fairly common Honda problem.
    Hard to believe that the bushings could be prematurely worn in a brand new vehicle. Maybe there's just a batch of bushings that are faulty.
    Anyway, will definitely look for the rocking/clicking etc. etc. when we test drive.
  • Options
    I'm sure some will doubt this...but...

Ever since I've read about the "rocking seats", I've tried every one we get in.

I can't get any to rock. I tried one with 3000 miles and it didn't rock either.

I don't doubt the problem exists but I sure haven't seen any. Maybe some of the bushings are too soft or something? It sounds like Honda is working on a fix.

As far as the clicking....folks...seriously, this is NOTHING and I'm surprised it bothers anyone.

It's the transmission interlock doing it's job.

All cars have their own strange sounds.
  • Options
    jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    At the crvix they have a section on wheels and tires under their exterior menu. It mentions alternatives to the 205/70/15 oem size. Wider alternatives that fit the stock wheel are mentioned as 215/65/15 and 225/60/15. Someone could hopefully comment about what all the tire size numbers mean.

Here is a link to tire size calculator I found referenced at the crvix:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

That will give you a visual reference and differences (in %) from stock size and how it affects performance of your speedometer and odometer. Hope that helps.

• Options
    Want to "plus size"? 215/60/16 or 225/55/17 will give you close to stock diameter. Interested in going beyond stock diameter? Go right ahead, but keep the increase to an inch or less, unless your car is strictly for the show circuit.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Engine power and size are not the only factors affecting 0-60 times. Gearing plays a major role as well.

It is completely possible that a vehicle have better 0-60 times compared to another that has more "useable" power.

Ken
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Fasteddie - There are numerous tire and wheel sizes that can be fit to the CR-V. Some will handle better, some will be quieter, some will offer better traction, others are just bigger. What are you trying to accomplish by changing the tires?

The V-6 debate... Honda could design a V6 for the CR-V. They would probably add another 20-30% to the sales of the CR-V. That might earned them a bit more money, but it might also double their R&D costs. The net result is they make more sales, but earn less on each vehicle. They've doubled their effort and complicated the production line for minimal (if any at all) profit.

I'm with Carguy62 on a number of issues, correct spelling being one. =) Making a 4 cyl larger than 2.4 or 2.5 is not an easy thing to do. Read the Edmunds preview and they describe their pleasant surprize on how smooth it runs despite being a large four. C&D made the same remarks (though I've never seen the authors in the same room...)

Ford is scrapping the ZTEC four in the Escape (already) in favor of a 4 cyl from the Ranger pickup. For a while For/Mazda showed the market what a V6 can do (others like the GV and XTerra had failed to do this). But now, I think Honda is showing them that a good 4 cyl is worth investing in.

As for acceleration... Yes, it appears that the manual tranny CR-V certainly is competitive in terms of speed. Actually, the automatic is also giving the Ford a run for the money. However, speed to 60mph is not the only only measure. When you compare other acceleration times (like the 1/4 mile, 0-30, and such), you'll find that the Ford is faster. In the TruckTrend comparison from a few months back, the Ford was faster to 50 mph and faster to 70mph, but the CR-V had the advantage at 60mph. So 0-60 isn't the whole story. Also, some folks (not many) also want the V6 for towing.

Does it matter? Not so much. I think that the Ford might be more fun to drive aggressively, but how many people buy an SUV because they want to go drag racing? It seems pretty obvious that a decent four banger is sufficient for most of the buyers in the market.
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    Stock tires (205/70/R15): of course IGNORING the 15 inch rim:
    205*(.70)= 143mm diameter

Other Sizes:
    215/65/R15: 215*(.65) = 139.8mm diameter

215/60/R15: 215*(.60) = 129mm diam.

225/60/R15: 225*(.60) = 135mm diam.

225/55/R15: 225*(.55) = 123.8mm diam.

Get it? So the closest match is the 215/65/R15 and the diameter IS SMALLER than the stock size. Smaller diameter equals better acceleration and better mileage. Wider tires are quieter and you get a smoother ride.

So lets break down the 205/70R15
    205 means the tire is 205 mm wide
    70 is the aspect ratio which is the percentage of the width so the tire height is 70% of 205mm.
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    Someone help me out on this: If you change tire sizes you need to buy 5 tires, right? If you need a spare you wouldn't want to have a different size. One would also have to purchase a different spare tire cover.
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    I'M #6000
    hehe
    I just was curious about the available tire sizes because some people think that the tires might look "small". And if I do change my tires because of the noise, what are my options. Thanks Guys.
  • Options
    . . . but I'd say that the aspect ratio indicates "sidewall height" and not "diameter." Diameter by definition is measured from one edge to the opposite side through the center.

I agree with you on smaller overall diameters providing faster acceleration, but are you sure about the better mileage? Won't the engine be required to turn more rpms to maintain any given speed?

Then again, you might also be right if you take into account that your speedometer is now reading too fast. You might have saved gas simply by just slowing down.

Varmint: If they intend to keep increasing sales in a vehicle segment that is growing more crowded, it may eventually become worth the R&D money to deliver a six-cylinder CR-V. Perhaps if the CR-V demand/sales volume started approaching that of the Accord. . . .
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Did test drive the crv ex, nice ride but when we talked prices no one went under msrp.Is that kind of crazy or is everyone paying msrp. If anyone did better in the tri-state NY area please help.Drive safe.
  • Options
    My internet sales rep had the audacity to even tell me to "look for another vehicle" if I weren't willing to pay MSRP for the CR-V I wanted.