Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• paulmlacpaulmlac Member Posts: 27
    Help!!!

Love my new Honda CR-V.

However, I'm trying to buy a convertible (either rear or forward facing installation) child safety seat. None of the ones I've purchased (and since returned) seem to fit tightly in the car.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a seat that fits well into a CR-??? Also where was it purchased???

Thanks!
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    where did you get that toy from? My son would love one of those things.
  • idv1idv1 Member Posts: 7
    Paulmlac, my wife and I bought the Alpha Omega at Toys R Us. It fits quite well in the forwar facing position. It has a five point harness. You've got to use the clip to get it secure.
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Canadiancl - Sadly, I do not own one. The pic is from someone else's collection. They are/were made by Aoshima and were available at TowerHobbies.com, but they've been discontinued. :-(

Dunno if they are available anywhere else.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might check with these guys, canadiancl: Strongsville Hobby Shop

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    My thanks as well, Steve. It's just such a cuddly little SUV.

These things just keep popping up. A member at the CR-V IX found this in a mag published in Japan.

The front wheel wells look huge compared to the back (yes, I'm both aware of and well versed in the concept of perspective, but compare it to the side woulding). It looks like an airbrush has passed by this photo once or twice, but there are still some nice touches. The IRS under the back, shape of the windows, door handles, side mirrors, and the cross bar under the front all look like the current model. However, the rims are new, they have the correct number of lug nuts, and the door moulding is also new. What's more, this pic shows side marker lights that are required in the Japanese home market, but the aribrushed-looking plate reads "CR-V" (English).
  • reiner4reiner4 Member Posts: 24
    Here's my '99 Supermarine Blue EX Auto.....

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1282674&a=9504524&p=38975583
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did I mention "usual disclaimers" ? I don't know a thing about that company I gave the link for--well, for a US $20 bill, I suppose it's worth a shot.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Any chance Honda will build a 2002 CRV with moonroof ? I can live with the small engine, , the noise, and everything else but really would like to own the first moonroof of my life. Aftermarket moonroofs are too troublesome. Local Honda dealer won't even install one on the 2001.

Still looking at Mazda Tribute as an alternative. Poor reliability history of Fords and that transmission in particular and some engine plastic , seals issue held off my purchase.
    image Here you go Rich. Glad to see you were able to get reconnected.
    Steve - We'll see you in court. :-)
    Scname - According to my crystal ball, there is a definate possiblility that the '02 could potentially have a sunroof option. We won't know for quite a while. You might also want to look at the new RAV4. The sunroof option is pricey, but at least you have Toyota reliability instead of Ford/Mazda's.
  • hyperpiperhyperpiper Member Posts: 7
    The Fisher Price Safe Embrace is a great carseat and fits well in a CR-V. Plus, it doesn't have a base so it's easy to switch from car to car if you need that option. You can get it at Babies R Us. In case you are interested, for a complete review of car seats try the book "Baby Bargains". You will learn so much about them that you will be able to tell the people at the baby stores more than they know! Good luck!
  • 2112jeff2112jeff Member Posts: 2
    Greetings from the metro-Boston area. I'm interested in purchasing, actually leasing, a 2001 CR-V EX 5-speed. Optional equipment desired are the passenger side arm rest, retractable cargo cover and cassette player. I'm wondering if $20,538 (excluding MA 5% sales tax) is a good offer. It includes the destination charge and approximately a $100 accessory installation charge.

Also, what's the verdict on Honda's theft deterent systems? Are they worth it, or should I purchase after-market?

Thanks for any and all help.

- The Produce Dept.
    As I have posted before (I'm sure)somewhere, I like Honda's dealer-installed system. It's got most of the features you want -- passive arming, auto-rearm, siren, (optional)beeps, light flash, diagnostic, glass-break sensor, hood switch. It is pricier than after-market, but one other plus is that you know it would not conflict with Honda's electrical system. In fact, I like the dealer-installed system a lot more than the factory system, such as the one on the Accord EX & EXV6.
    Greetings from the South of Boston Suburbs. I purchased a LoJack recovery system that was mated to an aftermarket alarm system (so I only have one remote). The savings on my insurance were enough to pay for the system in two years. Your mileage may vary, but it's worth checking out.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    That is not a photo, the whole thing is airbrushed.

Lojack? No thank you. I don't need Big Brother tracking me. Massachusetts does enough nannying for me, thank you very much.
  • dcfelladcfella Member Posts: 31
    Varmit, how much did it cost to install lojack and what other fees come with it?
  • macmacmacmac Member Posts: 35
    Is it true the you can not get a passenger arm rest in the CRV SE model? Also did anybody get a good deel in the so.cal. area?

Thanks,
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    There's a 2002 CRV photo at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/crv

Is it the real thing?

• shaq2kobeshaq2kobe Member Posts: 42
    I tried to view the photo of the 2002 you spoke of but was unable to. Can you post a picture???thanks
    If it looks like any of these, it's a fake.

Which link is it at?
  • rsavanarsavana Member Posts: 9
    Can someone tell me what exactly is involved in installing a keyless entry. A previous comment stated it took them only two minutes to program.
    Is that all there is just programming with no installation?
    rsavana - The hardware that is required for keyless entry is already installed in all CR-Vs. I believe the receiver unit is found in the driver's door.
    If you own an LX model, all you need to do is buy the key fobs that interact with the hardware. Once you have the key fobs, you program them by pushing the bottons in a specific order. The order should be supplied as part of the instructions.
  • rsavanarsavana Member Posts: 9
    varmit-Thanks for the input. It sounds easy enough.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    This is an available option. See http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvint.html for this and any Honda accessories that you are interested in.
    Dcfella - Sorry, I just realized that I never answered your last question. I paid something like $450-500 for both the LoJack and the aftermarket alarm that was installed with it. This was two years ago in the Boston area. I understand that the prices vary greatly as some folks have been asked for $800 for it and other less than $350.

I'm not sure that I understand the "big brother" concerns above, as the system isn't activated until you report the car stolen. Is there something more sinister afoot?

I just got back from the CR-V meet in Bradford, PA. We had seven CR-Vs show (some cancelled at the last minute) including the infamous "Gadget". Gadget is without a doubt the most inspired customized CR-V I know of. I'm sure there are others that have more stuff, but Gadget is truly unique. We also had a good look at the subtle differences between the US spec CR-V and the Canadian version.

For pics and short description of the trip go to CR-V Excursions and click on the caption below the ANF Meet photo.

Oh, I should also mention the six inches of snow on the snowmobile trails we took. Fun.

Looking at that red CRV stuck in that little bit of snow has just convinced me that I want something a little better off road than that. I might have to go back to looking at Sportages or Wranglers.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Maybe. If you're looking for a hardcore off-roader, this is not the place to be shopping.

There was more to it than the pic indicates. His driver's side tires were resting on hard-packed snow (basically ice after having been trod upon by the CR-V's that were in front of him). The stock tires had little to no grip on that side of car. The tires that stuck over the edge of the road were in a self made rut about 8 inches deep. Just deep enough to cradle the bottom of car in the snow.

Something with big knobby tires, or a locking 4X4 system would've been able to get out. A limited slip diff would've helped, but I don't think that any one wheel had enough traction to push the car out of the lower ruts and back onto the top of the road. It wasn't a particularly bad "stuck", but it wasn't quite the walk in the park that the picture looks like.
    I've driven my Civic through that. It really needs a full tank of gas, and two passengers to get through a foot or more, though.

I'd expect a little (nay, a lot) more from a 4X4.
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    bwh "4WD & AWD systems explained" Mar 20, 2001 8:22pm

This is from the owner of a MB G-wagon -- one of the most capable 4x4s in the world. Snow is trickier than most people think.

I should add that I've driven my CR-V through 15+" of snow without getting stuck (even passing other real 4x4s -- an F350 Dualie w/plow -- that were). But then again, this winter I drove in a very slippery 4" snowfall that had me sliding all over the place.

A boilerplate statement about expecting more out of a 4x4 isn't supported by the facts of the case. The guy that got stuck in PA didn't have much snow driving experience (he is from southern Virgina).

If you can drive a Civic through a foot of snow, why even buy a 4wd?
    Thanks, Beat. I haven't read that thread in a while.

Sasquatch - If you need more off-road ability, that's fine, but I wouldn't base your decision on just one picture.

Because it snows a lot in New England.
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Only the last pic is showing

But it should be pointed out that the 'V in the pic is a 2wd!

Sasquatch, no matter what you end up buying, make sure you get a good set of winter tires. The added snow traction is well worth the expense.
    Hmmm... It was working last night. Wonder if it's a browser issue? The other two pics were from GatorGreg's Mullet Lake Park expedition (part deaux). Basically two mud sprays, one from the 2WD Albinogator and the other from Thai's Black EX. I was looking for the mud covered CR-V from the race in Portugal, but I couldn't find it.
    We recently traded in a 98 civic for a 2001 CRV. We live in Idaho, where we also get plenty of snow. While the civic may be good on ice, it is very poor in snow deeper than six inches. I can't tell you how many times my wife got stuck this winter trying to drive our 100 ft driveway. Can you say "high center". P.S. my boss owns a 99 civic, and it stinks in deep snow too.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Gang

Anyone dealing at invoice? thanx

tom
  • the_rockthe_rock Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for good lease deals for the Honda CRV SE. The SE sticker price was $23,240, and they are selling it to us at 21,875 (about $500 over invoice). The lease payments for 3 years are $389/mo., and 4 years are $345/mo. Both of these are for 12,000 miles/year.

Has anyone done better or can suggest somewhere where I can get a better deal?

Thanks in advance.
  • guxuguxu Member Posts: 32
    From carsdirect.com, you can see all CR-V models sell at invoice in major cities. Went to local dealer, which was hard on price, they have no problem to match the invoice price! I was planning to drive to Atlanta to buy my CR-V. Now it is not necessary. While we are doing paprwork, I asked if they can give me more discount, they gave me floor mats for free (I am buying 2WD LX).

We did not really have to bargain the price, I think I only said two sentances.
    1. Atlanta dealer offers invoice.
    2. Can I get more discount?
    I have the 175/70R13 Dunlop Graspic snow tires on the front, and with a full tank of gas, that baby will climb trees __ EXCEPT __ if she gets hung up and "floats". The best 4x4 or snow tires in the world won't do any good if the tires can't reach the ground.

Can you say clearance issue?
    Having driven both the Civic and CRV in a variety of winter road conditions this year, I can assure you the CRV out performs considerably. It is important to note that we have a great deal of snow drifting. In fresh snow, the civic did okay. Add a little wind and forget it.
  • tomf11tomf11 Member Posts: 40
    Whats the best price you have been quoted? I am thinking of at least $500 over invoice. Then I want to trade in a 95 Del Sol. Do you think they will go down to $500 over invoice with a trade? Thanks Tom F
  • brianaellisbrianaellis Member Posts: 1
    I live in Omaha, Ne and several dealers have been advertising a lease deal on the CR-V SE. The deal is for $235/mo with $3000 down. This is for a 39 month 39,000 mile lease. I didn't want to put any money down and I was able to get the same lease for $307 per month. This was with no security deposit, and no lease acquistion fees. Probably could have got it for $300, but really didn't feel like haggling. I was in and out of the dealership in about 1/2 an hour.
    The $389/mo that you have been quoted is way too high. The residuals on the CR-V are very good, almost 60%.
  • jwiese1127jwiese1127 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me what dealer in Atlanta you were able to find the CR-V selling at invoice? I'm looking to buy a new CR-V before the end of the year, and live in the Atlanta area. Thanks.
    Just open www.carsdirect.com, you can buy CR-V at invoice. If you go through gomez.com, you will get $100 extra cash. You do not have to directly talk to dealer.
    And I was told carsdirect.com price is not even bottom. It's just an average price at that area. One of my friends bought her Toyota van below invoice in Atlanta, while carsdirect offers invoice on that model.

Since the stock market is near crash, ecno is down, and CR-V will be redesigned this year, I guess few people is interested in CR-V now. That's why we can get the good price. My local dealer aggreed the invoice immediately. And they gave me floormats while I was just asking. Is that easy?
  • the_rockthe_rock Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me what company you leased through? That's a great price.
  • tharontharon Member Posts: 1
    The Honda CRV pales in comparison to the New Ford Escape. It is rated an overall better choice by most reputable automagazines.
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    tharon, I don't own a CRV, I just lurk here waiting to find out info. on the 2002 CRV (hard to believe that nobody has any reliable information yet....) Anyway, I've looked at the Ford Escape, and the truth of the matter is that the Escape can't compare to the CRV when you factor in reliability. They've already had five recalls, and you've got a Ford Engine, which means trouble. Check out the new Consumer Reports, the CRV is far and away the most reliable SUV in its class. In a few years, you can sell your Ford Escape to someone, but it won't have much resale value. The V6 is nice, but .....
    My local dealers ask stick plus for them.