Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Jerry - No problem. Everybody gets bad information at one time or another. It could simply be that your Product Manager misundertood the figure. Maybe Honda used 500 lbs of steel for structure, not they added 500 lbs.

The MT article may be quoting 0-60 for an automatic. They run several tests, then they give the vehicle the benefit of the doubt and publish the best time for the day. It's not an average. That's how they got 8.6 seconds of a 99 EX 5 speed. I expect that a more realistic number for the auto will be in the low 9's.
  • Options
    A TSB is a "technical service bulletin". It may be a common fix, an update to the owner's manual, or something along those lines.

A recall is something that the NHTSA issues when it is determined that a car has a defect that has the potential for causing harm. IOW, it represents a safety issue. While these can only be issued by the NHTSA, manufacturers can ask that the NHTSA investigate problems and issue a recall if the manufaturer sees fit. This is what Ford did with the Escape.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I think maybe the manager meant 500 lbs as a figure of speech. Like guys' locker room talk ie. "you know that cheerleader in high school, she's put on a ton of weight now"!
  • Options
    Read the MT article. The car in all the pictures is an automatic. They comment about having mixed emotions about the fact that it sticks out of the dash.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Has anyone seen the CR-V ad on TV yet?

I was channel surfing and caught the last glimpse of the commercial (with the guys around the fireplace).
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    artdecho:
    The X-terra is a back-to-basics truck for serious off-roaders and probably would not be as affected as you think.
    If you look at people who buy Xterra (and Frontier), you will see the least likely group of buyers that would be serious about the strengths of Xterra. And take this guarantee from me, Xtrail will hurt Xterra more than it would do to other car based utes.

The scenario didn't change for 4Runner until Highlander arrived.

Diploid:
    Yes, I have seen that ad. IT looks like...grrrrrr.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Annoying.

At least we know what it's going to look like.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    The new 2002 brochures just arrived, very nicely done. I'm sure that your local Honda dealer has them in now.

The main target for Honda is now the mens market. They definately want to increase that market share. There will be ALOT of ads in the next couple of months.

Jerry
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    When do you expect your dealership to have accesories like roof rack, fog lamp, hard spare tire cover ..etc for sale? Are those items even in the catalog you received ?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, I've seen that ad a couple of times. It's a teaser, and doesn't show the whole car.

Highlander may have hurt 4Runner, but that model is so old now it's in desperate need of an update.

-juice
  • Options
    Ford sold 200k Triscape this year, I'd say all of them looked but ruled out 01CRV because of lack of power as I did. (I also ruled out Triscape becuase of quality) Honda could win a significant portion of those buyers back with the 02. Woudn't be surprised if demand for 02 rise to 200k. We'd see some real greedy dealer then.

The 8.9 second time look real good but the quarter mile time 17/79.4 is bottom of pack. The new engine's low end torque and aggressive axle at work here. The 02 should be as fun to drive as any at street speeds but run out of steam above 70 mph.

Last year's MT suv of the year has Tribute at 8.7 and 16.4/83.8. QX4 at 9.6 and 17.1/79. Those are known muscle utes.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Just called my dealer who told me four weeks ago that he would sell me a 2002 for 3% or about 700 over invoice. No dice, now he says sticker.

Your not surprised right? I told him I may wait until next summer and check out the new passport/mdx instead.
  • Options
    SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    So the '02 CR-V will run out of steam above 70 mph? Isn't the low-end "steam" what most people are looking for?

Not for nothing, but anyone who needs additional "steam" in an SUV above 70 mph, please let me know where and when you'll be out there, so I can take a different route...
  • Options
    That's too bad about your dealer reneging on the price of the '02 CR-V. I wish I were surprised.

This is one of the reasons I'll likely be buying my '99 CR-V when my lease runs out next month and holding on to it for a while, at least until the economy straightens out a bit - I doubt there will be any deals to be had on the new CR-V for some time.

Unfortunately, I also doubt you'll get the Honda MDX for less than sticker when it finally arrives - my guess is that it'll be the Odyssey of SUV's, with ADM the norm.
  • Options
    tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    I placed an order for a 02' CR-V EX at the OK dealer. For the color I want(silver), I have to wait for the Dec allotment. It does feel kind of strange to put down a deposit of a car that I have not
    driver. I guess I would only do that if it is a Honda or Toyota, certainly not one from the Big-Three. I will post my experience as I go along.
    JHEIL, if you get your CR-V before late Dec, can you post your update too?
    INKY, I talked to Adrian instead, and I told him about you.

About business model, the reason why Saturn has its following, IMHO, is because of its business model. Their products are just of average quality only, but their pricing, service and "image" attract customers. People enjoy their buying experience even though they know that they pay more over invoice for a Saturen than a typical deal (I am talking about average car, not cars like Miata, New Beetles, etc that got marked up 200% when they first released). I believe most people don't like the hassle of haggling with car salesperson. I am not sure selling $316 over invoice is a short sighted business model, but it sure catches my attention. How often do you see a dealer tells you up front what price they are selling their cars for? Rather than selling Civics and Accords all day at flat invoice, this business model gets them $316 over invoice. I believe they sell more Civics and Accords than CR-Vs and more than make up for not selling CR-Vs at MSRP. It is a supply-demand thing though. They are selling Odyssey at MSRP too. If the demand is constantly much higher than supply, I think they will sell CR-Vs at MSRP too.

P.S. I don't work for a car dealer and I don't get any commission. I am just like every car shopper that looks for a good deal.
  • Options
    Spy - How ya doin'? I agree that needing more steam above 70 mph is not really a prerequisite for an SUV. But I can see how someone towing a trailer might be concerned. Of course, we're talking about a very very small percentage of people now....
  • Options
    Actually, Jim, I would find a dealer that kept their promises. They don't deserve your money for any model.

I think if the CR-V is peppy up until 70mph, that just about noone will complain. If you go much faster than that, I'm not sure you should be buying this type of vehicle, frankly.

Spy: I'm afraid you're most likely right about the Honda MDX. If not, though, we'll take a close look at one for the wife.

When is your lease up? You may want to try to extend it for a year, because even if the CR-V commands MSRP at first, I imagine that won't last too long.

Honda is considering offering incentives, but only on the Accord (AN, 11/5 p. 16).

-juice
  • Options
    My CR-V lease is up in December. I never thought I'd be considering buying a lease at the end of its term, but at this point it seems like it might make sense. Given the economy I am not sure I want to be plunking down ~$25k for another new car right now. If I'm going to go used then, why not keep the car I have been leasing, which I know has been treated well and is in great shape.

My residual (~$13.5k) is right around the "private party" sale price according to Edmunds, and well below other similar cars I have seen advertised, so I don't think I am taking a bath on it. If I decide to trade up next year to the new CR-V or the Honda MDX, I will have a little equity to work with.
  • Options
    dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    Given the rev happy nature of all Honda engines I seriously doubt the CR-V's new one will run out of steam above 70 MPH - photos of the instrument panel show a redline of 6,500, and 5th gear is an overdrive even though the first three are apparently fairly low. I expect the thing will be capable of more speed than most buyers will use - I don't necessarily think it'll be scary at, say, 85, in the right conditions though.

I've driven the new RSX and although its obviously a different suspension, ride height, etc. its still the same platform, and the RSX was very comfortable at speed. I would expect crosswinds to present the biggest challenge in trying to cover a lot of ground fast in the new CR-V. All speculation, of course.
  • Options
    Financially, you'll definitely be better off keeping it. You couldn't get a Sportage for that kind of money.

High expectations for the Honda MDX. Acura's starts at $34,850, so I hope Honda's will start under $30k (for a V6, 4WD). If so it'll be high on our list, too.

Let's see, how to get to that price? The warranty is shorter, and start by deleting wood and leather. The engine could be a 3.2l running on regular, and the wheels 16" instead of 17". Drop the anti-theft, fog lights, power seat, auto climate control, and auto dimming mirror. Leave regular A/C and heated seats and everything else, though. Make all that stuff optional for those that do want it, but start it under $30k.

Some say the industry will suffer a hang over next year, since lots of people that wanted a new car replaced them when the 0% offers arrived. We'll see. If so, lower demand might mean we can actually find one.

-juice
  • Options
    I'm in a Houston suburb. Traffic into town is 65 mph. Traffic going out is always 75 mph. I always go with flow of traffic and let all those Explorers, Grand Cherokees , F150s pass me by. SUV drivers seem to be the fastest drivers around here.
    I'm not complaining about CRV's power, just stating a fact that its 1/4 mile number is not as good as other vehicles, indicating lesser power at high end.
  • Options
    FYI - Automotive News says there is special financing on remaining 2001 CR-Vs. 1.9 to 2.9%. They didn't mention the terms.

-juice
  • Options
    I checked a local dealer's web inventory list, the 02 CRV is listed. Going to do a drive by on my way home.
  • Options
    QM in 17.0/~80 mph is what most cars with 9.0 s 0-60 would do (pick up Dodge Intrepid with its 200 HP V6 for instance). That’s not slow, that’s good enough, also considering that the top speed may be about 94-95 mph (governed).

I would like to call the Honda MDX, MAV, as it was rumored a while ago. It can share the engine (3.5/V6, 240 HP) and transmission (5-speed auto) with Odyssey, and with some additional equipment over Odyssey LX (alloy wheels, larger tires and AWD), it could be tagged at under $28K, the only options being leather, NAV etc. However I think it will be more of a competition to Highlander (5-passenger or 7-passenger) than taking on Tahoe (8/9 passenger). Honda is unlikely to use a bench front seat to accommodate a third person upfront.
  • Options
    I just checked one of my local dealer's web-site, and they have prices listed for the '02 CR-V:

2002 CR-V
    Model & Trim Levels Suggested
    Retail
    2WD LX 4-Speed Automatic $ 19,330.00
    2WD LX 5-Speed Manual 19,580.00
    4WD LX 4-Speed Automatic 20,130.00
    4WD EX 5-Speed Manual 20,380.00
    4WD EX 4-Speed Automatic 21,290.00

Is it my imagination, or do these figures indicate a price DROP?
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I, um, heard it from a friend. ;-)

scname, I'm in the Houston metro area too. 65 mph into town, 75 mph outta town . . . hmmmm . . . I'm pretty sure that you can't be talking about the Katy Freeway on weekdays (and some weekends!).
  • Options
    Juice - The trouble with getting a price like that is that Honda doesn't offer options. You buy it nicely equipted or completely loaded. Those are your options. I'd guess that the trim levels will be similar to the Accord/Ody LX and EX models.

Those 1/4 mile times seem okay. Not bad, but not great either. My guess would be that aerodynamics are the limiting factor, not actual engine power.

Slugline - Wonder if that "friend" has an answer on the 500 lbs issue, yet. Apparently, he lurks around here, too.
  • Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Thanks. Is there a time limit on getting recalls and tsbs fixed. Like if your warranty has ran out will they still fix it?
  • Options
    illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Could you post that link to your local dealer with those 2002 prices? Sounds too good to be true, don't get my hopes up like that!

jimxo - if that is Honda in Lisle, I tried calling that number a while ago after seeing your post and got something like "What planet are you from, mister?"
  • Options
    Interesting to note that those prices are higher for manual transmission, for 2WD LX.

Pricing is attractive, given that for top of the line model, you'd also get moonroof and 6-disc CD changer with cassette as standard equipment.
  • Options
    shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    What website is that? Even Honda News site dosen't list any pricing. It's hard to believe the prices would drop............
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Yes, Honda of Lisle, (IL). I think 3% over invoice can be had, but not until the 01's are gone and the hype around the new CRV is over. I use the word hype cautiously considering there not a lot going in the USA that is worth getting to excited over, espically a car.
  • Options
    I noticed that weird 2WD pricing as well. Note though that they have never offered a 2WD LX with 5-speed before, so maybe that has something to do with it.

My source for prices was Mike Harvey Honda in Burlingame, CA. They also have a listing of the key features for each trim level:

http://www.mikeharveyhonda.com/

• Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Spy,

Have you bought from Mike Harvey Honda before? I went there a long time ago when we were shopping for a sedan for my wife and they were extremely persistent. We got calls from them several times a week even well after we already purchased a vehicle elsewhere!

Ken
  • Options
    I have never visited Mike Harvey Honda, but I did shop at their Acura store when I was buying my CL last year. They were very "old school" to deal with in the negotiation process and ultimately I walked out on 'em. Because of this I doubt I will visit them when I am looking for my next Honda.

That whole Burlingame "auto row" area is pretty sketchy; we drove through there a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday and every dealership had two or three sales people standing outside on the curb smoking, looking like they were ready to pounce on anyone who drove up.
  • Options
    leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    I put in the comment section that I wanted a 2002 CRV EX AUTO mojave mist for $250.00 over invoice? When I got home today, on my voice mail, a dealer said he could sell for $100.00 over invoice. He called me back during my dinner tonight. I said I'll take your offer for 2002 CRV. The dealer wanted to sell me a 2001. I said, read your e-mail, I requested a 2002 CRV. He said we are going to get list for them. I said good luck, call me back went you want to make a deal.
  • Options
    sandhurstsandhurst Member Posts: 37
    If the demand for the new CR-V is strong, then we'll be lucky to get them at list in the first few months. I think dealers can get away with selling them at list without creating bad feelings. What irritates people is having to pay _more_ than list.
  • Options
    While I was reading the latest issue of C&D, I noticed Intrepid running 0-60 mph in 10.0s(!) and QM in 17.5s @ 82 mph. In a four banger equipped CR-V, you would do much better than that!
  • Options
    Honda dealer I went to don't have it even though its on their inventory list. At first salesman said 10 days, then checked with manager, said December 1.

The dealer received his 02 brochure today but none to give to customers.
  • Options
    shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    I called Mike Harvey Honda tonight & was told that they are not sure that the pricing on the web was correct. They told me that they think it is pricing for 2001 leftover models.
  • Options
    Honda USA does not offer a 2WD manual transmission CR-V for either the 2001 or the 2002. Seems a bit odd that an American dealer would have prices for a car that they cannot sell.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    i switched from a VTEC civic to cr-v this past summer, and i am still amased how well the cr-v handles. it is just as good as the civic, if not better in some points. i do not think driving faster than 70 mph is any more dangerously in the cr-v than in the civic. i have pushed it past 100 mph once, and usually drive 80-85 if there are no traffic jams. i have to say that the current non-vtec engine runs out of breath at high speeds pretty fast, i think the i-vtec version in the new cr-v would have better high rpm capabilities than the current engine. after all vtec was developed to allow engines to have good characteristics at high rpm in the first place.
  • Options
    jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    Well, I got to check out the 2002 EX automatic a little while ago and here are my impressions:

first, as to price, there was no price listed on the sticker and I asked why.... the salesman said "Prices aren't posted until the 12th".

First, I've been a fan of the CR-V since it's intro way-back-when but my MAIN reason for not plunking down my $$ was because it was SO LOUD.... particularly while accellerating. The new one is a little quieter when cruising but when I floored it, it was still LOUD... and not in an Acura RSX "nice" loud if you know what I mean. the ride itself was quite nice and the seating position was comfortable. Accelleration from stop seems a little better (drove an SE 2001 back-to-back) but passing power seems almost the same. The interior is a mixed bag. The window controls on the door are welcome. However, this car had an automatic and I have to say, the dash-mounted stick has a flaw of sorts: On the current 2001, you can have your hands on the wheel and pull the lever forward and it swings down into gear on an arc along the steering column. The NEW one protrudes from the dash and while the handle is bent, you really have to reach upward and right to grab it.... maybe it will become a non-issue, but with the 2001, your hands can be on the wheel and you can hit the overdrive button with your finger... on the new one, you have to leave the wheel and reach for the button (still on the end of the stick). Also, the e-brake, while clever, is also a pain. Honda went through great pains to make the "walk through" area. However, when you pull down on the e-brake, it protrudes into the path of the driver if he wants to make his way into the back. The center flip=up console is better at holding cups now (the circles are much deeper) and the flilp rear-seats are nice. One thing that I noticed that bothered me the most was this: There are several steps backward taken here that remind me of the 2001 Civic re-do. First, when you look into the fron wheel-wells, you can see up into the steering area and the back of the engine..... isn't dirt/road salt going to get up in there? Why can't they just put in a full wheel liner? Also, the switch gear is out of the civic and is much cheaper-feeling than the 2001 cr-v. Even the sun visors are REALLY thin and flimbsy like the curren civic so of the prices posted in the other message are correct, I can see how they saved $$. Also, the dk bumper covers in the front just don't cut it.... even on the top-of-the line EX you felt like you were driving a "cheap" model... not like the current CR-V where you could write the un-colored bumpers off as "rugged cladding". Just my 2-cents. On the plus side, the sunroof is welcome, and the rear-"hatch" is a better design: the glass is attached to the rear swing door... in other words, the whole door opens now as one part... you don't have to swing the glass up first.
  • Options
    lmastrianalmastriana Member Posts: 7
    They had the new Honda CR-V on display at the Miami Car Show but had it locked since they said the SUV would not be available until mid-Nov. I like the new design and some of the changes that have been made. When I told them I was ready to buy, they unlocked the car so I got to "see" the interior but could not sit in it. I've owned three Honda Accords and am a loyal Honda owner but am tired of the Accord and don't like the current design. I currently drive a 94 Accord and am thinking of switching to the new CR-V. I'm anxious to drive one but understand they won't be in the dealership until mid-Nov. I am concerned about the location of the gearshift since it's mounted on the dashboard - I think that would be quite awkward but will need to determine when I test drive. You can view the new CR-V at www.newcrv.honda.com
  • Options
    Those would be some pretty competitive prices. Sounds like they're not accurate, though?

varmit: you're probably right about the LX/EX models. Let's see, there is a $2500 spread between the two models on Odyssey. The EX still ought to cost less than the MDX, so let's say $29-30k for the LX and $32-33k or so for the EX.

We looked at an Ody yesterday, Herson's Honda. Well, we first looked at the Kia Sedona (free Shrek video just to test drive one, BTW), which is nicer than you would think. Kia has come a long way. Still, no folding 3rd seat, and the seat was not comfy. Cheap, cheap price ($23.7k with leather and moonroof before discounts).

So then we looked at an Odyssey. The dealer had just one, a demo, and a 3 month wait! Holy Cow! Full MSRP, absolutely no price break. I couldn't believe it, since the 2nd plant is cranking them out now. Jerry - you guys discounting at all? Better availability any where?

Though honestly I don't think the wife would bite. She thought the Kia was too big, and the Ody is a tad bigger. We couldn't drive it because it was past 9pm by the time we got there. We were only able to check out the interior, which is very nice, if a bit simple.

BTW, he said 10 days (11/17) for their CR-Vs to arrive. I'll probably go back to drive the Ody and then take a spin in a CR-V for the fun of it.

-juice
  • Options
    dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    As I've been putting up with a very high level of road noise in my Integra for the last 11 years (fine car otherwise) its disappointing to hear the '02 CR-V may still be pretty noisy - that's one thing I won't put up with in my new car. I know when I drove the RSX I was surprised and disappointed that road noise was still pretty high, even though they supposedly made reducing NVH a top priority. Wind and engine noise were almost non-existent though.

I've been waiting a long time to buy a new car because I want to like the new CR-V. I'm a loyal long time Honda customer, but if I can't enjoy tunes at highway speeds because of road noise in the new CR-V I'll be giving Subaru a whirl instead.
  • Options
    Try both, actually. I'd suggest driving them back to back.

-juice
  • Options
    Jmatero - Good point about the e-brake getting in the way of the pass-through (when engaged). I hadn't thought about that. I'd guess that it wouldn't be a problem for most automatic owners as they can just leave the car in park. But for the driver of a 5 speed, there's no way around it (pardon the double meaning).

Juice - I have a friend going through the same process. No discounts anywhere. He's been promissed an Ody in two weeks at one dealer, but others are telling him anywhere from 3-9 weeks. He suspects the dealer may be promissing something they can't deliver. He's waiting for the lines, "Oh, it's been delayed, maybe next week,..."
  • Options
    Hard to believe, but thanks for the info.

I had read the 2nd plant would be up and running Q3, so it ought to be spitting 'em out by now. I guess they have to catch up with the back-log.

At least this dealer has a demo. Some friends have been told they'd have to order the car based on faith, without a test drive. They own Siennas and Grand Caravans.

A thought about the hand brake - much of the time, the person in the passenger seat would be heading toward the back row, and in that case it would not be an issue.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I stopped by O'Donnell Honda in Ellicott City today, to pick up an '02 CRV brochure (they're in!). I think(?) they had several Odysseys on the lot.

Did you try moving the middle seat? If so, was it a problem?

Bob