Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• hpoohhpooh Member Posts: 13
    Tested drove both V6 & V8
    Specs says the V6 has more horse power than the V8 245hp vs. 235hp but the V8 has more torque.
    I am in Southern California so i don't need 4X4. IMO, the V8 feels more powerful (yeah right, it has 2 more cylinders)
    Finally got a V6 Sport w/ XREAS and Sunroof and saves quite a few $$$ (the V8 cost a couple grands more) it has about 1K miles and the only complaint is gas milage, got 16.7mpg on average.
  • mhallackmhallack Member Posts: 32
    OK I bought a new 2003 SR5 V8 4WD, but its one of the older ones with the cladding (and so I believe has the original hitch receiver). I intend to tow my parents camper (which weighs about 3,000lbs unloaded) and they have a weight-distributing hitch for it. The manual states that the receiver that comes with the 4Runner should be used with a weight-carrying hitch (only). I don't understand this, wouldn't it be better to use a hitch that distributes the weight? The max tongue weight is only 500lbs, so wouldn't you be limited to MUCH less than the 5,000lb max tow weight?

Has anyone tried to retrofit the newer style hitch receiver on their older 2003? Any help or clarification would be appreciated.
  • amheckamheck Member Posts: 37
    DOes anyone know how the TMV prices are calulated? I have been looking at the SR5 4Runner and the prices are now about $1400 higher than the end of last month. Is this higher price as result of the expired $1500 rebate on the truck, which is still valid as of today? Or is it the beginning of a new month and edmunds just figures you won't get as good of a price as the end of the month?

I was hoping to take in a print out of the $500-under invoice price to help with negotiations, but as of now, it doesn't look like that will be happening.

Thanks for any info you may have,
    Aaron
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How We Calculate New TMV® Prices

Remember, TMV is a guide that tells you what buyers are currently paying for new vehicles. Most buyers don't do their research, but you are. Which means you should be able to beat TMV. And see this article for more.

Steve, Host
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    I think there are several owners towing on a regular basis with weight distribution hitches on your setup.

They don't allow links to different forums but there are many 4Runner towers that could help you.

It looks like the reciever bolts directly onto the frame. There is no typical hitch assembly so... maybe someone else can speak to that issue better than I.
  • gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    Hey saarkasm, what happened to your engine noise?
    Did you get your TSB fix? How come everyone who has noisy engines say that they are going to get it fixed and then we never hear from them again?
    I fear that I will be the next to mysteriously vanish, please folks,keep us informed. Thanks,
    gsj (2003 V6 still sounds like a diesel)
    If you keep up on current events at other message forums (sorry, I can't post links) the noise is from a couple improperly shimmed valves. This is a easy fix for the dealership-assuming they know what they're doing (a big assumption in some cases) and a warranty fix.
  • chas215chas215 Member Posts: 22
    Had TSB fix done for drive belt chirping sound. They fixed it right away following the TSB. No problem since. I was pleasantly surprised that it worked.
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    With the V8 and A/C on, I noticed the revs kick up when the compressor turns on. Anyone else notice that? I have to make sure my foot's firmly on the brake when it revvs up, or else I will lurch..

I hauled the whole family (5 people) and all their stuff around yesterday. That engine is a winner. Didn't even hesitate. Took it through some light offroad too...and it has the smoothest ride and is very sure-footed. Go Yota!
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Rev increase is normal when A/C is turned on in most vehicles. Compensates for A/C load.
  • maxwell17maxwell17 Member Posts: 6
    Well, the first problem has arrived. I have the sunroof/headliner rattle. However, if it is damp outside, of the truck has been freshly washed, it's fine. I guess the dampness act as a lubricant. On a long ride in the sun on Friday, it rattled on even the smallest bumps.

Question: I wrote down the two TSB numbers for my dealer appointment tomorrow, but the weather is not cooperating. Does anyone know if they will fix this even if the rattle is NOT apparent on a test drive?? This is one of those aggravating things where I KNOW the second I pull into the service dept., the rattle will stop.
  • gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the update chas215, glad to hear your fix worked! Terrafirma, I guess I'm not finding these message forums you speak of...could you tell me where they are and what they are called?
    This would be of great interest to me,
    Thanks!
    GSJ3
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    Now thats Ironic. Edmunds "TMV" is supposed to be the "true market value" of a car. Now there is someone from edmunds saying you should get better than TMV?? Ok now I see why people get so confused when they start to research their investments.
    TMV reflects what people are actually paying. You're a much better negotiator than those folks since you're reading up on the car buying process on Edmunds and are thus extremely well informed. Go make us proud!

Steve, Host
  • hartthartt Member Posts: 79
    I made an offer to a dealer for an 03 4Runner Sport Edition w/V6 based on TMV and he laughed at me. He proceeded to tell me that the TMV means nothing to them and that it is something concocted by internet sites in an effort to drive down prices. He said he has never know any dealership to sell a vehicle based on TMV.
    I have had more than one dealership reject offers of TMV. I have even offered above TMV and still, no takers.
    I want to make you proud Steve, but I don't see how it can be done.
    I got my V6 sport 4x4 for a bit under TMV which is just above invoice (or was when I bought).
    No negotiating- go thourgh the fleet/internet sales. Why does anyone deal with salesmen anymore?

gsj3-
    I'm sorry but Town Hall doesn't allow you to put up links to other forums so...if you do a search for toyota 4Runner forums, I'm sure it will come up.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might check out the Toyota 4Runner: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion to see what kind of deals other Town Hall members have gotten and how they got them.

tidester, host
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    After talking to both the Toyota customer service and the local dealer they both agree that the loss of power at high ambient temperatures should NOT be occuring.

Now the only challenge will be to have them see the problem. It's supposed to be hotter later this week out here so I'm hoping to show it to the dealer if I can get it to repeat. Bring-on the hot weather!

I also checked on all the Toyotas/Lexus with 4.7 l V8 discussions and there is no evidence that this is happening on any other vehicle. That it wasn't happening on the other (larger) Toyotas/Lexus with the V8 I wasn't too surprised. What is odd is that I didn't get enyone fess up to ever seeing it on the GX470 which I would suspect would have the identical power train to the 4Runner.

I did notice a separate issue with the GX470 powertrain making a noise. I wonder why the 4Runner owners here aren't seeing that. Riddle me this Batman...

Also it appears that this 4Runner discussion group seems much more active than those other Toyota/Lexus groups.

Stay tuned.

-Eric
    possibly a malfunctioning O2 sensor that can't make the altitude adjustment? Just guessing...
    I haven't experienced this problem from my V6
  • moloconomolocono Member Posts: 16
    I trying to buy a SR5 in October, but I don't know if I will be able to afford it. Can I buy a new one for $400 a month? If not, I might have to go with an Explorer or Trailblazer.
    well you can buy anything for $400/mo. It depends on your down payment and total vehicle price.
    I think edmunds has a monthy payment calculator and financing advise elsewhere.
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Just got back from towing my Porsche on its aluminum open trailer (total weight ~4,000#) from Lansing, MI to Bomanville, Ontario and back with our '03 V8 Limited. The truck was built in 10/02, so has the older hitch and a stipulated tow limit of 5,000#. I don't use a weight-distributing device (the trailer manufacturer forbids them).

The rig tows beautifully at 70 mph. I'd have no hesitation about towing much more weight than I do, given the utter grace with which it handles the 4,000# load. My only criticisms are that the torque converter unlocks more readily than I'd like when the rig encounters slight hills on the Interstate and it's thirsty compared to my '98 4Runner. But otherwise I'm 99% satisfied. It's quiet, comfortable, stable and has loads of power.

The rig averaged 14.81 mpg going to Bowmanville (no wind) and 12.8 coming back (major headwind). These figures were calculated from corrected odo readings (odo under-reports miles by 2.5 %) and the gas pump figures. I use premium when I tow, but mid-grade or regular otherwise.

Regards,

-Karl
  • qualitymanqualityman Member Posts: 15
    This seem to be a more common problem than Toyota wants to confirm. I fixed my sunroof's rattle after the dealer had tried.
     Open the sunroof. On the passagers side, in the back corner there appears to be a mounting bolt opening on the rail support structure (there is one on the driver's side). I wedged 4 1/8 in. thick vinyl pieces with adhesive backing just over the apparent bolt opening and the rattle stopped. My dealer now says that Toyota has issued a TSB describing this as a fix. (He asked me if I wanted a job.)
  • gdh3gdh3 Member Posts: 28
    I own a 01 4 runner with 28K miles. Love it. I have had the Toyota shop do all the service on it since I bought it new. I rotate tires more frequently than the recommended 7500 miles to ensure longevity. Upon my last oil change the shop noted that that my left front strut was leaking oil and that this has lead to uneven wear on all 4 tires. Essentially ruined them. Because of the warranty the strut will be replaced however the service rep tells me I will have to eat the expense on 4 new tires. What more can I do. I take meticulous care of my 4-runner. I can only trust that the mechanics will note such problems before they become painfully obvious. Any advice on how to get 4 new tires out of the Toyota shop? Question #2. I recall in earlier postings recommendations for replacement tires that maximize the quality of the ride. Does anybody recall those or have other recommendations.
    Thanks in advance.
  • ga_dawgga_dawg Member Posts: 1
    I saw in earlier posts about this problems and was wanting to know if there was a TSB issued for it. My dealer doesn't seem to know what to do.

Thanks
  • gdh3gdh3 Member Posts: 28
    I own a 01 4 runner with 28K miles. Love it. I have had the Toyota shop do all the service on it since I bought it new. I rotate tires more frequently than the recommended 7500 miles to ensure longevity. Upon my last oil change the shop noted that that my left front strut was leaking oil and that this has lead to uneven wear on all 4 tires. Essentially ruined them. Because of the warranty the strut will be replaced however the service rep tells me I will have to eat the expense on 4 new tires. What more can I do. I take meticulous care of my 4-runner. I can only trust that the mechanics will note such problems before they become painfully obvious. Any advice on how to get 4 new tires out of the Toyota shop? Question #2. I recall in earlier postings recommendations for replacement tires that maximize the quality of the ride. Does anybody recall those or have other recommendations.
    Thanks in advance.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    cross terrains are excellent for a smooth quiet ride, but are unfortunately expensive.

I wish you much luck on getting replacement tires, since the unusual wear was caused by a vehicle problem (the bad strut), but you never know. I wonder if there is any kind of prorated warranty left on the tires from their manufacturer? You never know. Check the paperwork you got when you bought the truck.

Given that the problem was in the front, make sure they check the alignment after replacing the front struts (make sure they do the pair at the front), or else you may have another set of unevenly worn tires a year from now.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    The auto transmission dip stick is difficult to remove and insert in my 1999 4-Runner. Has any one else experience this? Is there a trick to inserting it, that is a special twist or turn. Also does anyone know if a factory fog light kit (in bumper mount) is available for the 1999. My dealer says they are only available from 2000 on. Has anyone install fog lights in a 99 that looks like the factor version.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I was in the same boat as you, I have a 2001 and in-between tire rotations my alignment went off. I had to replace the tires at 36,000 miles. I bought the Michelin Cross Terrains. The biggest difference is the lack of road noise made by the tires. The handling is also greatly improved. These tires are not meant for rock hopping or for mud hopping. These may be the tires you were thinking about. "Nippononly" is right, they are expensive.

http://michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinCrossTerrainSUV.html- ?tiretype=5&tire=1
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    I'm learning more about this problem.

Yesterday evening it was only 84 degrees F and I began driving the car without the problem. Then I got on the highway and turned on the AC. At some point the problem started while driving on the highway. I turned off the AC and the problem went away at that instant!

I turned the AC back on and the problem did not come back.

This says to me that if it is the fan clutch engaging then it must be an electronically controlled fan clutch. If it were not electronically controlled then turning off the AC would not have had an immediate effect.

Some folks have also pointed out a bad O2 sensor as well. I'm still not toatally sure but the groaning sound sure sounds like the fan.

Maybe I'll do some tests measuing the fan RPM relative to the engine RPM for both with and without the problem (at various engin RPMs). I need to find a strobe light and pulse generator or something to measure the fan speed.

Does anyone have any creative tricks I could use to measure the fan speed?

Also now I'm pretty sure it'll be hot enough today to demonstrate the problem to the dealer.

That's all for now.

-Eric
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    My '03 came from the dealer with CT's. My last little offroad trek I posted about, was with the CT's. The vehicle performed well, even in some muddy and rocky areas. Sure, the CT's are probably a little too onroad friendly to be the best offroad, but they did OK by me, along with the excellent offroad ability of the vehicle in general. I believe the CT's are Mud and Snow rated, for what it's worth.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    I guess I'm the only one who leased that didn't get ripped off concerning MSRP vs. what you paid. My payments and such were all calculated according to $500 over invoice (what I paid) and I leased through Toyota Financial. Could it be that some dealers negotiate better for you than others?
  • zeus258zeus258 Member Posts: 15
    I'm Looking for a V8 Sport too and spotted one on the web. Should I try to negociate $500-$1000 under invoice or does it sound nuts?

2003 Toyota 4runner 4X4 4DR SR5 SPORT V8
    Delivered Internet Price: $31,283
    Delivered Value Price: $31,622
    Factory Invoice: $31,083
    MSRP: $34,480

Sport Appearance Package - YU :
    C7 Convenience Package
    CM Double Deck Cargo System
    DJ JBL Am/Fm/Cass/CD W/8 Speakers
    DK Owners Portfolio
    FE 50 State Emission Requirement
    KG Black Running Boards
    RF Rear Spoiler
    SP Sport Plus Package
    SR PWR Tilt/Slide Moonroof
    TR Transportation Charge
    WH Wireless Headphones
    WL Wheel Locks
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    I placed a link for a source for foglights a while back in the 4Runner Accessories forum -- dug it up -- here's the link:

Check this place for foglights for your 2003 4Runner:

http://www.overnightautoparts.com/toyota-4runner-4ru-4wdv8-001-fo- g-light.html

Looks like they carry them, but you'll need to call them at 1-888-267-1845 for pricing...
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    zeus258-thats a pretty good delievered price for the interent quote.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Thanks for the report on using Cross Terrains off road. I have not gone off road yet with mine. This October is a big camping trip and I look forward towards testing them.

So for now, they work fine going to the Mall and to other wild places.
    Is that a pull from the Fitz Auto Mall in Maryland? If so, there's no negotiating...they are a true "no-haggle". If not, haggle a little bit. You can always start low and work up.

Otherwise, looks decent.
  • so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    called the site you referenced. they said, "yes we show them on the site, but we do not sell them because they are too new of a part. so, you will have to call a dealer."

bummer.
  • zeus258zeus258 Member Posts: 15
    Exactly, That's from them!
    Are they a true no-haggle?
    I'll try offering them a 60% downpayment, what do you think?
    They look to be one of the few honest dealers around here anyway.
    How many people here waiting for the 04 to buy an 03?
    Only me?
  • mjr1967mjr1967 Member Posts: 1
    The 4Runner and the Sequoia appear to be the only cars these days with rear windows that go down. Is there any reason why Toyota has chosen this path versus the other car makers? Has anyone encountered problems with this window?
  • dogwingdogwing Member Posts: 11
    What is the deal on extended warranty? I just purchased a 2003 SR5 4X4 with V-6 power and with the regular ammenities. I am considering the Platinum Extended Service Agreement for 7 years/100,000 miles. Cost in in $1000.00+ range. Question is this... is it worth it? I keep my vehicles for many years and will have this one for at least 10 or more years. Mileage will be open road traveling with possibly towing a light weight pop-up camper. Seems that Toyota is a very reliable vehicle, so are these plans just for dealer profit or are they beneficial to the buyer. I am a total novice so any ideas will be appreciated. By the way I love the 4 Runner........... No wonder Toyota is a leader...........but if they are so good why the need for extended service agreements............HELP
    The roll down rear window you mean the rear hatch?
    I'm not sure why others don't do it- maybe because it is expensive. I love it and it is very convienent.

Ford copied the Land Cruiser's clamshell rear hatch on the new Explorer so I'm sure someone will do the same with the 4Runner.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Zeus, I bought my 2k 4Runner LTD from Fitz Mall. Back in 2000 they were truly no haggle. We gave them 30% and they wouldn't deal. We bought it any way because they still had the best prices in the area. 60% may get them to move. All you can do is try.

On the roll down rear window, I think this was a GMC/Chevy thing a long time ago. I still see some very old (20+ years suburban like) trucks that have that roll down window. I don't know why they got away from it.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    All the old full-size station wagons used to have roll down rear windows. Lots of things broke on our '71 Ford wagon, but not the rear window. YMMV.
    This Mini got all sandy just from a day at the beach. Should have taken the 4Runner and kept the dirt off the windshield.

Steve, Host
    Oh man I totally forgot about the Blazer and old station wagons!
    GM Vista Cruisers with the power rear window- but do you guys remember the power rear window AND power rear door that slid down into the bumper??
    My neighbor had one when I was a kid- it was kinda old then even but the door was cool. It had the green tinted sky light windows- doany of you remember that? Those old wagons were HUGE!
  • dogwingdogwing Member Posts: 11
    Not much response on extended warranty issue, so lets try another one......... When you purchase accessories from the Toyota dealer (addd ons after the purchase, i.e. bug deflectors)they are very pricey. Are there any businesses (internet or otherwise) that sell 4Runner accessories. If you know of any reputable/reliable ones, please post.... Again thanks
    I found that even though they're no-haggle, they did offer one of the best prices around. Carmax was another no-haggle with good prices.

If you're putting 60% down, I'd think they might throw in some accessories for you at least! Or at least 500 free oil changes! hah!

But, my experience with Fitz was positive, but someone actually bought the 4Runner the day I was supposed to go there. Personally, it would be worth it to get a good price and not worry about the games the dealers play. Piece of mind!

Good luck! The 4Runners are worth every penny.
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    I don't believe that extended warrantys pay off for the vehicle owner on the average, particularly with a quality-made vehicle. Look at it this way - If you made a profit with it by having Toyota sink more repair costs into your vehicle (on average) that you paid for the warranty, then they would be loosing money. I doubt they loose money on anything. That means you are the one loosing money on that deal. Just make sure you get every problem with the vehicle fixed before the standard warranty expires.

Put the money you would pay for an extended warranty in treasury bonds for use after your standard warranty expires. It will always be available, gaining interest, and you will probably never need it.