Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• michael33michael33 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone located photo's of the 2006, especially in reference to the finder flares? I think "tloke1" is right on the mark, if the costs in September are not outside of that ball park.
  • kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    If you go to Toyota.com and choose the 4runner, everything is the same. Yet if you choose to build one, you see the same 4runner, but the title is now 2006 4runner. Looks like either the site is updating slowly, one thing at a time, or the 4runner changes are bogus. I'm betting on the first one. But, it looks like the 2006 is getting ready to drop at any moment.
  • bsharpebsharpe Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 4runner is coming off lease next month and has 100k miles. Are these vehicles known to do well with high mileage or are there issues that continuously arise? Thanks for the help.
  • messiasgmessiasg Member Posts: 3
    Does any one know when i should change my timing belt on my 2003 4 Runner. The owners manual doesnt
    state when, it does state to change the belt on the v8 at 90k. I called the dealer and they said they should be changed around 60k to 90k. Is that true??

Thank you,
  • sam20sam20 Member Posts: 8
    does anyone who has a 2003 4runner or newer experienced the life of the brake pads both in front and back
    sam
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    My 2003 has about 34,000 miles. Still on original pads front and rear. Dealer said they have plenty of life left in them. YMMV -- if you tail gate, hard stop, and/or ride the brakes you may go through pads more quickly.
  • mqnycmqnyc Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased a 2005 4Runner 4WD Sport V6 today and want to take it for a weekend trip. Haven't picked up the car yet.

Does anybody know what the recommended break in period is for the 2005 model and the details to the break in period?

Thanks.
  • mqnycmqnyc Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody know if the standard radio that comes with the 4Runner Sport can play MP3's?

Thanks.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I got my fronts changed at 42k. I had my rear brakes checked at 48k, and they still have plenty of life in them.
  • locomolocomo Member Posts: 29
    MP3's:
    2005, no.
    2006, yes.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    1000 miles, no hard acceleration, sudden stops, or cruise control. Vary speed as much as possible.
  • soldier1soldier1 Member Posts: 10
    I am waiting to buy the 2006 V8 Sport Edition 4Runner, does anyone have any additional web sites for pictures, etc. I have seen the Japanese web site provided in this forum.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    To all of you that questioned the age of my son's rusty Toyota. YES, you were right. I pulled the Title out of the file when I got back to Alaska and it is a 1993. Sorry for the confusion. I have no idea when it actually rusted through as it was that way when he bought it. He paid low BB for the vehicle so I guess he got what he paid for.
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    Any car can rust today. No matter what type of protection they put on at the factory there still is a tendancy to rust. I've never had a car that rusted. If you DON'T take care of your car it will rust. As usual, grice LOVES to blow things out of proportion. You have to see nuts he is about hybrids!! He secretly loves them, but can't admit it! Then he goes out and buys a Silverado wanna be hybrid. Whatever floats your boat! Hey... good luck with the 4 runners. Great SUV!! Love em!!
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Good advice. And change the oil and filter after the first 1,000 miles, too. I like Mobil 1 5W30 and a Toyota filter at 1,000, 5,000, 10,000, 15,000, etc.
  • skibumuvaskibumuva Member Posts: 3
    This was on the press release. Does it apply to all 03-06 or just 06?

"All 4Runner models include a reinforced center pillar for improved rigidity and increased thickness on the front windshield and front door glass for reduced wind noise. "
  • skibumuvaskibumuva Member Posts: 3
    I called toyota and they said something about 4runners starting single piece construction in 05, but couldn't tell me anything else.
  • locomolocomo Member Posts: 29
    It's starting with the 06's.
    Also, MP3 player, Ipod connection, rounded fenders(above the wheels), power seats (standard on all models), new headlights and tailights.
  • tomf3tomf3 Member Posts: 9
    I think I like the 2005's better. The dealer told me the other day that they aren't going to offer the 3rd row seat in 06, but I think he may just be trying to get me to buy. The seat isn't really good for anything but hauling kids, but my wife really wants it. Does anybody know if they are really going to discontinue the 3rd row? Also, does anyone know of the best dealer in the SE to buy from as far as price and good, honest salesmen are concerned?
    I 'm looking for an SR5 V8 4X4 4runner - the main options I want are 3rd row, side and curtain airbags, roof rack, and 17" wheels. I can't figure out how to find it. None of the local dealers have it.
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    I'm surprised at the headlight changes. The 4runner has some of the best headlights out there (non H.I.D.). I wonder if the change is to accomodate an H.I.D. option?
    somewhere else in the forum there is a picture - the japanese model does have the manually controllable HID.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    I would recommend changing the timing belt when they recommend it. The worst thing that can happen is you breaking that belt. AFAIK the 4runner is an interfering type vehicle.

If the manual says 90K, I would go with that. The dealer's best interest is to sell you one sooner than later.

To other's out there with the v6, need not worry, you have a timing chain.
  • tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    I doubt that you'll get the incentives that they are offering on the 2005 V8. The incentives are high because people aren't buying them as much as they were when gas was < $2, which is something to think about for resale.

If you don't need to pull something heavy, the V6 is very nice and not that much slower. It now has the 5 speed auto so there isn't much difference between the two except the 2-3 mpgs, 30 hp, and 200 lbs.
    Because of market pressures and the fuel pricing, I'm sure Toyota will have some incentives for the 4Runner, especially the V8s. I believe it was consumers reports, if I am not mistaken, which gave the 4Runner V6 (new engine) only a fair review; as opposed to a great review for the V8 engine. The V8 also has full time four wheel drive. The 05 V8s are not moving off the lots very fast, even with the $1,500 cash back until August 31st. I think the improvements in the 06 outweigh the 05 incentatives.
    What I meant is that Toyota will not likely offer the incentives on the 2006 V8 because they will have adjusted their production schedule so that they won't have excess inventory, especially early in the production year. So if you want the incentives, buy the 2005. If the new features seem to be worth it, then go for the 06. I just wanted to advocate the V6, if not to you, then to other readers of this forum.

Consumer reports fair rating was based on a recall that Toyota had on the V6 in 2003. I haven't heard of any issues after the first 4 months of production. I haven't even heard people complaining about it on this forum, and people complain about the smallest things on this forum. The only complaint that I've heard is that some don't like the sound of a timing chain instead of a timing belt. The timing chain is a little noisier, but I can only hear it when my car is parked and idling. Plus the cahin doesn't need replaced at 90,000 like the belt in the V8, which is a $400+ service. A downside to the V6 is that it requires more frequent spark plug changes (recommended every 30,000), which are very easy to do yourself, but if you need a mechanic, then this will add a little cost.

The concern about a newer engine is valid, but realize that Toyota does lots of accelerated lifetime testing on new engines during development. Does anyone have any longer term reliability data on the V6?

The fact that the V8s are not moving off the lots very fast should be the first clue that, assuming the current fuel pricing continues, that the resale for the vehicle will be negatively impacted. So, if you don't get the incentive, you may end up giving that much away at your resale.

The four wheel drive system in the V6 is identical to the one in the V8 with the addition, in the transfer case, of the ability to disengage power to the front. This allows for slightly better fuel economy. It is perfectly acceptable to leave the V6 in 4Hi all of the time becaue the transfer case has the same Torsen limited slip differential that the V8 has. In this configuration, it is identical to the V8. Toyota has a reputation for unkillable transfer cases so I wouldn't be too worried that the additional complexity in the V6 will result in failures. Look at the forum topic on "toyota 4 whell drive systems explained" for a more detailed discussion.

The V8 is a nice, refined engine that you'll be happy with. Just expect to get 16 (or worse according to some on this forum) mpg in mixed driving instead of 18-19.
  • bandajabandaja Member Posts: 3
    My name is Francisco Banda

I have a 4 Runner 1994 4X4.
    Last Sunday I was in a small road on the country.
    I try to turn around and the back tires were on the grass (on one side of the road).
    Beside the road was a dig that I did not saw because of the grass.

I try to use the L4 but only the rear right tire was spinning
    The other 3 tires did not move.
    The front tires were on the road.
    The day was clear (no rein or nothing).

After some one helps me with another 4X4, I check the 4X4, and it is working. I can feel the 4X4.

Any idea why that happen?
    It&#146;s that normal?

Thanks
    Francisco Javier Banda
  • txaudtxaud Member Posts: 6
    I know there was some talk about a ticking noise in the V6 for the '03s and it was called normal at the time. Has anyone had any further problems related to this? Mine is about to go out of warranty and I want to take care of the issues prior to that.
    I think that people were just hearing the timing chain noise, which is normal. It definately makes a ticking type noise which you won't hear from an engine with a timing belt.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Only one rear tire was spinning because you have an open differential. This is normal, believe it or not. Your 4wd was not engaged or did not engage so the front tire(s) did not pull you out. One of the front tires should have been moving. Unlike you, I'm not convinced the 4wd was engaged.

Fyi-most 4wd's have open differentials unless the vehicle was optioned (if available) with a locking rear differential. Most vehicles do not have a locking front differential as it's not an option.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    While I've only had my '05 V6 SR5 4WD 4R for about 3 months, I was curious about the MPG. I run regular gas in it (mostly from Costco). While I get about 18-19 MPG in town, I was pleasantly surprised to get 24 MPG on a recent 700 mile road trip.

It's not Prious numbers, for certain. But, am pleased with the fuel economy as I was expecting much less.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    If that number came from the computer, you can expect it to be 1-2 mpg optomistic.

If you figure your mileage based on the odo and a fillup, you have to adjust the mpg up by ~3% because the speedometer and odometer are slow by that much.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Those numbers came from manual calculations between fill-ups.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Sorry..
    But the 4wd was engaged.
    After the other 4X4 help me.
    I moved the truck like 10 feet.
    And I was able to feel the 4wd, The truck and the trasmission felt heavy.
    I disengaged the 4wd and the truck was more lighter (like normal when I used just 2wd).

I saw in the 4Runner manual that I need to use at least 12 miles per month the 4wd
    to keep lubricated the front diffential.
    That can be the problem??

Thanks
    Francisco Javier Banda
    Obviously, it wasn't engaged or your front wheels would have turned.

The auto locking hubs don't engage immediately when you throw the lever. You often need to be in 4wd before you get stuck.

Unless your front differential is acutally broken from wear and lack of lubrication, I'm not sure how that could have made a difference.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I concur with tradscott. Even my 2003 4Runner V6 4x4 doesn't engage right away. Sometimes it was taking up to a quarter mile to engage. Of course you're usually stuck by then. Now I just leave it (because I can) in AWD 'unlocked' all the time. I found by doing this it will engage to other 4wd modes right away with no delay. You may not have this option, so don't try it unless you are sure, or you'll blow your front end or hubs or something in the drivetrain apart.

FYI - my 1991 Z71 Chevy also took forever to engage, but at least it had a dash light to tell you when it locked in. On a side note, my 1997 Blazer locked in right away!!! I never got stuck in that vehicle.

Also, follow the manual. It keeps the hubs sufficiently lubed. BUT, and this may be important, I thought that only applied to manual locking hubs, not auto-locking hubs. My 1986 4x4 Toyota P/U advised to lock in only the manual hubs for the monthly self lube job. It was not recommended to lock in the rest of the drivetrain, unless you obviously needed 4wd. Double check to make sure it applies to your setup.

This may sound dumb, but look under the vehicle and make sure the front driveshaft is there. I only mention this because you are positive it was in 4wd with no wheels turning. It wouldn't be the first time someone has had a driveshaft stolen.

Last but not least, if you do have manual locking hubs, your 4wd should have engaged as soon as shifted into it.
    Don't leave a 1994 transfer case in 4Hi while driving around on pavement. I think Toyota added the locking, limited slip center diff to the 4Runner in 2001, so anything older should not be left in 4Hi all of the time. I'm not sure whether the 1994s had manual or auto locking hubs.

Basically, if you don't have a seperate switch or lever that is used to lock the center differential, then you have a part time 4wd system that should only be engaged in off road conditions.

You could test your 4wd by going out into an desolate field of some type and jacking your rear wheels off the ground and trying to drive off the jack. There are probably better ways to do it, though.
    I plan on buying a V8 4Runner, possibly a 06. I have heard on some of the automotive TV shows that horsepower can be increased by a chip and/or by programing the vehicle computer. Can anyone provide any information, as to is it possible to do this on the V8 4Runner without expensive modifications to the engine? If I am not mistaken, these automotive programs claim that programing the computer/chip can increase horsepower by 10 to 20 horses. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    Well the 2006 is revealed. Toyota seems to be teasing us, updating a little at a time. There are a few slightly blurry pictures and all the information about the new options and updates. The build your toyota is still the old one and the 360 views are still the old one. I would assume sometime in the next week, everything will be updated and we can see what the changes to the inside look like as well as better shots of the new exterior.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    About the break-in period - does Toyota still put this advice in the owner's manual??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We've had maybe a dozen chip discussions here but they always seem to fade away for some reason. The only currently active one is Chip Upgrades.. worth it?.

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the info and lead!
  • sam20sam20 Member Posts: 8
    for your info
    i had a 1996 4 runner ltd.which i sold several years ago to a friend.he has 500,000 kilometers(312,000 miles).the only repairs except tires and oil changes was a new starter and shocks.i also used to tow a 5500 lb. travel trailer.the motor and tranmission run as when it was new.the front brakes were replaced first at 80000 miles and the second at 220,000 miles.the rear brakes were changed at around 250000 miles.
    sam
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    The horsepower and torque have been decrease in both of the 06 engines, does anybody know why? Some forum say it is a new federal method of testing horsepower but the HP did not decrease in other 06 toyota car and trucks which use the same or similar V6 and V8. Also, does anyone know what will the octane requirement be for the 06 4 runner?
  • sonofabcsonofabc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 4runner. Just replaced the master cylinder but no pressure or fliud is still getting to my front brakes. Any suggestions on the culprit and how to fix?
    Thanks
    Rod
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Hi all. I just got back from a weekend trip in my 2004 V8 4Runner SR5.....the trip was roughly 500 miles, and I got 22.8 miles per gallon. This was calculated by dividing miles driven by gallons of gas used.....the trip computer was reporting 24.5 miles per gallon. Not bad at all for a V8, 4000lb + vehicle in my opinion.
    mmm

"The auto locking hubs don't engage immediately when you throw the lever. You often need to be in 4wd before you get stuck. "

Posible that was the problem (reason why did not work!)
    I was already stuck (the back right wheel spining) when I engage the 4wd, and the
    front wheels need to move (al least a little) to engage the 4wd.
    I say that because when I un engage (remove) the 4wd, the light on the panel
    show engage until the front tire stats rotating and the light go off.

Thanks
    Francisco Javier Banda
    Just wondering which state did you buy your 2006 4Runner, and what is the recommended octane for the 06 4Runner?

Thanks in advance
    I had the same problem with my 96 Jeep grand cherokee. I use to watch the weather forecast and engage the 4WD the night before if it was going to snow, and if the forecaster were wrong, I would just dis-engage it, no big deal.
  • 4runner064runner06 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Sport Edition V6 4WD today...first one off the lot....CA..I love the new front end. The Projection Headlamps are awesome and it just looks a lot more fierce. I love that look. It's great to be one of the firsts to have one. If there are people out there who are questioning the new front end and if the should get it...just do it...it is awesome! Wait and buy the 2006! I did!---I will post pics if I can.