Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    A fairly accurate and balanced review, although their machine apparently was equipped with ABS brakes. Hmmm.... that's going to lead to some interesting discussions in dealer showrooms :-)
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    wheelsdown - Who did you get your extended warranty through? Just curious.

ears - I would follow likalars tips in post# 8060 first.
    I don't lock my doors because if someone wants in they will get in and they will just slice up your top to do so. Hopefully if someone ever breaks into my Jeep they are at least smart enough to check the door first.
    If you call quadratec I am sure they could tell you quickly if they could sell just one.
    Some people like the sliders. I don't think I would like them. Your window will only open halfway. Some people like them because it is hard to put a zipped window up or down while driving.

My Jeep needs its yearly washing. I should probably wax it for the first time too. Sorry Tom. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks again for the heads up - look for "four wheel disc" to substitute for ABS soon :-)

Steve, Host
    You're welcome. I'm glad someone took notice :-)
    Seriously, it shows one advantage of internet publishing....... realtime corrections. A benefit to both publisher and consumer.
    Yep, and now you can do the same thing with US federal regulations here. Just think, we'll get all this mess cleaned up in 3 or 4 weeks, tops!

Steve, Host
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I ended up getting the DC warranty. I heard good and bad stories about the internet companies. I consider it buying "peace of mind".

I did call two of the internet guys. I got that "suede shoe slickie" feeling talking to them. They tried a little pressure to "get this thing done". Also, they are not negotiable (at least I could not get them to move). I did get a little over $100.00 out of my dealer (after his first offer, which was less than published).
  • w4rmkw4rmk Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, I am new to the Wrangler board. Just purchased a 2003 Sahara about 2 weeks ago. I was prompted to reply because of the post about extended warranties. Just wanted to recommend www.eservicecontracts.com. They sell the DC factory extended warranty online. They are a DC dealer and can sell the mfg extended no matter where you bought your Jeep. I got the 5yr/70k upgrade for only $945 with no deductable. Once I filled out the request on the website they mailed me a copy of the application and sent it to DC for processing. DC will then will bill me in 12 equal installments, interest-free.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    WELCOME! Can't believe you were sitting out there with that brand new Sahara for two weeks and hadn't told us about it! Glad you finally did.

Tell us all the details about that Jeep and a few things about yourself. Is this your first Jeep? Will you be off roading any? Where do you live?

Congratulations on that new Jeep.

Please become a regular poster. Guess you've seen how quiet it gets in here sometimes. We need lots of people posting to keep the ball rolling around here.

How 'bout some pics of that Jeep?

Join us in Gill's chat room sometime.

http://itsajeep.org

Once again, welcome,

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    It's been a while since you posted about your last ride (1999!). Glad to see you in unlurk mode again :-)

Steve, Host
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Thanks wheelsdown.

w4rmk,
    Welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy your Jeep as much as we do.

I bought an extended warranty through the mail and they are now bankrupt. I have no coverage and I am out my money. I did pay for it with my credit card and it looks like they may eat the cost. I am waiting for a response from them.
    That sux! Hope you recover your money.

Tom

It's fun going back and reading old posts. Here's one of mine that I got a real kick out of reading tonight.

There sure ain't much posting going on, so I thought I might as well post this.

Notice where I said I didn't think I would be going offroad very much?? :)

Also, I was planning on a soft top when I posted that, but I ended up with the hard top.

Tom

#199 of 8094 I've been a bad boy! by tsjay Oct 25, 2000 (2:03 am)
    I have done a bad thing, people. I test drove a 2001 Wrangler Sport after work today.

It was a yellow one with a black soft top and had an automatic transmission. Now that one is not the Jeep that I want, but I hadn't even test driven one until today. I would want a five speed and I want either a white one with a black soft top or a black one with a black soft top.

I was really surprised at how little noise the top was making at 75 mph, after having many people tell me how noisy soft tops are. I know they improved the tops in the 2001's, but I still thought the noise would be much worse than it turned out to be. I was pretty sure I wanted a hard top until I test drove that Jeep today. It had the half metal doors, and it was still not very noisy. I want the full metal doors, and I guess that would make it even more quiet, right?

I don't think they will be able to offer me a deal that I can handle, so my decision might be very easy. I just bought a 2000 Grand Prix GT in March, so I am really big time upside down on trade-in. They appraised my car and are going to locate me a Jeep like I want and call me with an offer tomorrow.

The salesman said that it is easier to handle an upside down trade-in by leasing the new vehicle instead of buying. Well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow about that. I drive about 22,000 to 25,000 miles per year, so there will be a big mileage premium to pay in the lease.

I am afraid this is just one of my "fads" and that I will miss my Grand Prix after the "new" wears off the Jeep. The Jeep will have to be my only vehicle, and I do have to travel occasionally on business. Will I miss the room and comfort of my Grand Prix?

The seats seemed very comfortable in the Jeep I test drove today, and it seemed to handle very well at highway speeds (took it up to 75 mph, and she seemed to hold the road just fine), so maybe a Jeep isn't too bad for long trips, but the lack of cargo room could be a problem.

I NEED ADVICE! Is there anyone in the group who was nervous about going from a car to a Wrangler, and how did it turn out for you? Were you eventually sorry you did it, or did it turn out to be a good decision?

I know it depends on what you want to do with the vehicle, and I must admit that I probably won't be off road very much. I just think that a Wrangler would be a fun vehicle to drive.

Oh, yeah, what can I realistically expect for gas mileage with the 4.0L engine and 5-speed tranny (with the 30" wheels) on a mix of city and highway driving, with most of the miles on the highway?

What do I do?

tsjay
    "I am afraid this is just one of my "fads" and that I will miss my Grand Prix after the "new" wears off the Jeep. The Jeep will have to be my only vehicle, and I do have to travel occasionally on business. Will I miss the room and comfort of my Grand Prix?"

The answer is...

NO!

Tom

• lvcheflvchef Member Posts: 52
    I remember those days...You and I were looking to buy about the same time. I belive we both ordered ours. I use to call DC and get a build time from an 1 800 number. I ordered a 2001 SE. It arrived on my Birthday. I was so excited!!! Since then I have traded it in on a 2002 Sport, loaded with everything offered. I am REALLY happy now.That 2.5l engine is terrible for off roading. When climbing a hill it has absolutely Zero power. So if your looking to buy a Jeep and you only have enough $$$ to buy a 2.5 liter SE, bite the cash bullet and opt fot the 4.0 liter, either X or Sport. I prefered the Sport as I could get the Dana 44.... It's early , I'm rambling.....
  • serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
    hello forum..i am looking to get a new Jeep X or Sport 2003..a few questions and please give me some insights..

1. my sister has a jeep grand cherrekee and has all kinds of problems with it..nothing serious, but little things..windows, locks, lights coming on..my question is ..can i own this 2003 wrangler for 6 or 7 yrs..and put on 100,000 miles on it with no problem, or should i only think about keeping it for 60,000 miles..what are your thoughts please..

2. i live in miami..is the soft top going to be a problem with rain and water and such..and is it really that hard to operate as some reviews say it is..please share your thoughts..

3. pricing..i want to spend as little as possible (dont we all) but my meaning is that this is a jeep, a simple suv that is loads of fun to drive..my questions is will the SE be ok as long as i add air conditioning and a back seat..i have my won cd player so that is no problem..but is the SE ok..i dont plan on doing off roading, just beach stuff..thx again and i look forward to your answers...eric
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    Looks like some of the things you mentioned that went wrong on the Cherokee will not be a problem on a soft top SE since it does not have electric locks, windows, etc.

I'm happy with my TJ (sport) and I should think that as a beach cruiser, the SE should work fine. If you don't put in carpet, you can slap on a nice safari top and keep the regular top off all summer

Have fun.
    1: Shouldn't be a problem, although all manufacturers build the occasional lemon.

2: Raising or lowering the top will take around five minutes or so; it's not a sports car.

3: If the 10,000 miles a year you intend driving are on back roads between your house and the beach, then the 2.5 will probably be fine. Otherwise....... I've seen many, MANY people who've wished they'd brought the 4.0 instead of the 2.5, but NONE the other way around. Remember that although you'll pay more for the 4.0, your eventual resale price will higher too. Fuel consumption is about the same for both engines. The 2003 SE uses a 2.4 which in theory should be a little better than the old 2.5. As yet, it has no real history. I suggest that you drive both engines with similar equipment. Chalk and cheese is the phrase that comes to mind.
    :-)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    My '98 Sport has over 108,000 miles on it (I looked at the odometer this weekend when I was heading for my Sunday trailhead) and while I had to replace the exhaust manifold (something you won't have to do since they redesigned it in 2000, I think) and I've had the dash guage problem common to the '98s, but not later years it has been a very solid vehicle. The engine is sound, the interior still nice and I'm still a happy camper. So don't worry about keeping it for a 100,000 + miles. I plan on keeping mine for another 100,000 miles, I hope. And when I do replace it, I'll get another Wrangler.
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    I owned a 91 4.0 and 94 SE at the same time. I got rid of the SE in 99 with 85k on it. The only problem I had was the catalytic converter started rattling some time around 60k. Brakes and normal stuff of course. Wranglers don't have lots of gadgets to go haywire.

The SE had a soft top, an older style. I live in Seattle, rain, rain, rain. I found the soft top one giant pain in the a** to raise and lower. It also got hotter than heck inside on warm days. Those side zipper windows drove me crazy too. The new top is improved but I'd head down to the dealer and make them give you a demo if you're concerned. Nothing better though than riding around on a sunny day with the top down.

I've still got my 91 4.0 with 120k on it. Catalytic converter got me again around 100k, other than that so far so good. A hard top, much better for me anyway. No way I'd buy anything but the 4.0 again.

Gary
    Eric:

Please take the time to read LOTS of posts in here, and I think that will give you a good feel for the reliability factor of Wranglers. You will find VERY few posts about trouble people have had with their Jeeps, and when you do find some, they will be posts about minor problems, not major ones.

I have had Thelma Jane for a little over two years, and she has been very reliable. I had a water leak fixed under warranty and the turn signal stalk replaced, also under warranty (the blinkers quit working).

Tom

• 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Tom,

In reply to your message two weeks ago, yes, I'm planning on updating those broken links. Being self employed, work goes up and down - right now being one of those "up" times (which is good). I've been on the road for the last few weeks while my little Jeep is sitting in a dark garage. I'm hoping to get some time in the next few weeks to get back up in the mountains and then post some more pictures.

Thanks for the ramblings about the oil change, I'll be changing my t-case, tranny and diffs sooner than what's recommended.

There was some talk about gas mileage. Mine too varies greatly depending on the wind. I've had as good as 22.6 mpg with no wind driving 55 mph along the Oregon coast to as bad as 11 mpg driving against a 40+ mph head wind (60+ mph gusts) through the Columbia River gorge on I-84. Which, by the way, I had to leave it in 3rd gear(!) - couldn't even maintain speed in 4th. Gas mileage or speed was the least my concerns, as those big gusts would take me across two lanes of traffic and back. Under normal driving, I've been getting 16-17mpg around town and 19-22mpg on the highway. Back road and off road in low range, I tend to only get 12-13mpg.

Well, now I'm rampling... got to fly (literally)
    -Pete
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    You bought the 2000 Grand Prix in March, and in October, you were ready to trade?!?!? I now see what you meant by "I used to trade often".

And I have 3 questions:

How much should a '97 TJ (Sport or SE) with Automatic, and 4.0L run? How about a '95? Also, was there ever a '96?
  • franziafranzia Member Posts: 18
    I'm interested in buying a Wrangler with the dual top option, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to store the hard top in the summer. I found hoists, but I was wondering if there are carts or something with wheels on it so I can move it around in my garage.
  • tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    After almost 2 years listening to the plain,standard AM/FM cassette that came with my '01 Sport, I decided it was upgrade time. So I went to crutchfield.com and decided on a Pioneer DEH-P77DH. This CD receiver has decent power and a built-in alarm, but most importantly, it fits the larger dash opening in the Wrangler without any kind of adapter kit. But of course,Crutchfield included free complete instructions and a wiring adapter so it plugs into the vehicle wiring harness. Installation was a piece of cake and so far, about a week later, I'm really pleased with it. It even makes the puny stock speakers sound good! Their days are numbered, However, because Crutchfield has some Infinity reference speakers on sale, and how does it go? Just Empty Every Pocket! Tjray, Happy camper!
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Just saw a piece on a kid who wrecked his yellow Wrangler. Sounds like he rolled it 5 times and was thrown out since he was not wearing a seat belt. When he was thrown out he was tossed up and landed on the neutral line of the power lines. He was able to hang on and was rescued by the fire department. He was able to speak to people the whole time and I think he came out of the thing unhurt, but I could be wrong. Says it was God keeping him alive. Hope to catch the piece again in this half hour to get a better look at the Jeep and get the details that I missed. A pretty remarkable story.

Still a happy camper.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I just saw the same story. Not only was the guy hanging from the neutral power wire about 25 or 30 feet above the ground (or so it looked),his cell phone rang and he answered it. Talked to his dad. The shot of the jeep was interesting, it didn't look bad considering it supposedly rolled five times.

Why would anyone not wear a seat belt?

I guess this shows God looks after all kinds.
    I have seen numerous accidents on TV and in pictures where the driver and passengers of TJs have turned out perfectly fine, or at least halfway Okay. Makes me want a TJ even more...

Of course, God DOES look out for everyone, but this also teaches him a lesson. WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS! I'm sure the freaky accident was enough to scare the boy.

When I'm driving, the car does NOT move, unless ALL Seat Belts are fastened. (This means YOU Dad!)
    Glad to hear you will be re-uploading those pics to Gill's and reposting them here. They were sure beautiful shots!

Tom

Yep, I sure used to trade a lot! When I signed the dotted line to make the deal on Thelma Jane and get the order placed with the factory, I was buying my THIRD brand new vehicle in a 21 month period! Gee, I wonder why I was so upside down on trade in? :)

I bought a brand new Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 x 4 in February of 1999, traded it for a brand new Grand Prix GT in March of 2000, and traded the Grand Prix in on Thelma Jane on November 16, 2000 (the day the deal was made and the order placed).

But those days are over, praise the Lawd! I have found a vehicle I can grow old with. Uh, wait a minute... I was already OLD when I bought Thelma Jane. OK, I have found a vehicle I can grow OLDER with!

You can see why it is so amazing that I found a vehicle that still thrills me after the "new" wore off. If the new wearing off means a loss of enthusiasm for the vehicle, then I guess the new hasn't warn off, and it looks like it never will.

I can honestly say no vehicle that I have ever owned before Thelma Jane has made me so happy for so long!

I LOVE MY JEEP! Yeeeeeehawwwww!!!!

Ok, to answer your questions about Jeeps... the TJs began with the 97 model. The YJs ended with the 95 models, and there were no true 96's. This was a transition year between the YJs and the TJs.

The YJs had the square headlights and leaf springs all around. The TJs have round headlights and coil springs all around.

You should try to get a TJ if you can, since the coil springs give a much better ride and actually do a better job offroad. Comparing stock to stock, a TJ has better flex than a YJ, which makes it better offroad.

For pricing, use the used car price guide here in edmunds. Used vehicles will vary in price depending on condition and mileage, so it would be impossible to tell you what a good price would be without knowing which particular Jeep you are looking at. Just remember, Jeeps hold their value better than almost any other vehicle.

Tom

A while back, my mother intered a contest to win a new Jeep TJ. (In Canada). I told her that Jeep didn't make a TJ. This was an endless argument, until the contest winners were announced. Then, I went over there with her, to see whether she was a winner. She promised me that it would sit up (Occasionally driven by me, around the block), if she won, until I got my permit. Well, when we got there, this girl and her friends were riding in IT, filling up in the Gas Station across the street (I also saw TJ clearly written on the side). So much for that dream. Ever since, I have always loved the TJ. I want one so bad, but it's hard to afford one...THEY HOLD THEIR VALUE TOO MUCH!!!

And if I do get lucky, I'm replacing "Wrangler" with "TJ".
    Yeah, in Canada, they put "TJ" on the side of the Jeep instead of "Sport."

Tom

Welcome! Hope you will be a regular around here.

I just put my hard top cross-ways in the back of my garage for the summer. I have room to do that and still get the Jeep in there too.

I think you can just leave them in the hoist for storage, but I guess that would be in the way, huh?

I don't even have a hoist for mine.

Tom

Here's the link to that crazy CNN story:

Teen catapulted from car onto utility wires

Steve, Host
    Well, I am getting prepared for my winch, which I hope to order in the new couple weeks. I will pick up an Optima Yellow Top battery tomorrow.

These are deep cycle batteries that are real good for use with a winch.

Tom

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I just had an Alpine 7874 CD/receiver installed @ Circuit City. The sound is nothing short of incredible (considering I'm using the stock speakers). Of course, I can't turn it up really, really loud, but at this point it's so much better than the stock stereo/cassette unit, that I don't care.

Today I took off the plastic block-like extenders on the front & rear bumpers. I always thought they looked kind of dorky. I read that Tom took his off and saw the pics. I like the look w/o them & don't think I gave up too much protection.

I'd like to get some taillight guards and rocker panel guards in the near future.

Stephen
    Cool!

You didn't waste much time getting into "mods."

Yeah, I definitely like the looks better without those plastic things on the bumper corners. I think a very large percentage of Jeep owners remove those things.

Come to Gills!

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Tsjay, sorry I didn't make it to KY to wheel with you and your buds, btu family stuff has kept me tied up until now. Had a nice trip and got to do some wheeling in GWNF in central VA. I even introduced my cousin and her husband to it and they had a blast.

Sounds great about the yellow top and winch.

-twylie
    I guess it's gonna be the new Warn 9.5 Ti. Bob Supplee has quoted me $899 shipped. That winch is supposed to be very well sealed and should last a long, long time.

I will be placing the order as soon as the money becomes available, which should be no later than the end of February.

Oh well, the day you were gonna get to wheel was not a good wheelin day anyway. We had snow still on the ground from the Thursday before, and I even had to work part of the day anyway.

Tom

• erichochmanerichochman Member Posts: 16
    i live in new york city..can i fly to toronto and buy a jeep wrangler and drive it back to the usa? what is involved? has anyone ever done it? nissan use to allow people to do this? am i off the mark here..i would save big $$$$ by doing this? any help please..thx..eric
    Nissan did, but then Nissan USA stopped honouring the warranty. Most all other manufacturers won't honour the warranty on a "gray market" car unless you can show you emigrated from Canada to the US permanently.

Gray Area - What You Need to Know About Canadian Cars in the U.S.

You need to be careful with used cars too:

Two Idahoans find Canadian car not worth price

Steve, Host
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    What’s with bumper corners, I thought the bumpers were supposed to protect the vehicle, so what do the corners protect, the bumper? (What’s gonna protect the bumper corners? :P). IMO bumper corners are a waste of plastic.

Before I introduce myself I want to apologize for being such a lurker.

I’ve read most all the posts and could probably recognize many of you on the road. (especially you Tom! & Ross Allen too!)

01r1 - Pete, if you made a calendar of your jeepin’ pictures I would be one of the first in line to buy it. I hope you don’t mind, but I borrowed one for my desktop. Would love to check out that beautiful scenery in person.

Twylie - I love your web site. Your detailed explanations, coupled with the great photos, are a great source of reference for future projects.

Mtngal - you go girl, I’m rootin’ for 200k, or a lottery win so you can park a new “Rubi” in the driveway

mac24 – are you sitting at an answer desk? You seem to be an invaluable source of technical information

My name is Rich and I’m from the “Bay State” (I’ll let you figure out that one). I have the Wrangler bug real bad. For example, my kids know to point out every Jeep they see on the road.(not like I don’t see them all anyway) If anyone has seen the VW commercial that shows the man with the “Beetle” stuck on his head, that’s me(substitute the Jeep of course). I am becoming obsessed.

I had an ’87 YJ (pre kids) so I know how much fun they are, and I have driven the newer style TJ (big difference).

I have a dilemma. The wife has given me the go ahead on one condition (you know maybe that’s two conditions, since she’ll want a say in the color, but anyway…) it has to be an automatic. Well my old one was a stick and I have a feeling I’ll miss that, but hey at least it’s a jeep. My main question is what are the differences between the old 3spd and new 4spd? The Jeep will be my daily driver (40 hwy mi/day) and errand runner. Unfortunately due to my busy “dad” schedule I don’t see much offroading in the near future (but I know how things change, Tom). I would like to buy used, but realize the 4spd wasn’t introduced until this year. Do I wait a little longer to buy one a yr old, buy a used 3spd, buy new, or just buy a 5spd & teach my wife how to drive it :-)

Well, I think I got enough off my chest and I gave you folks plenty to read. I agree with Tom it was getting pretty quiet in here all of a sudden.

Wishin’ I could wave to ya,

Rich
    Teach your wife how to drive STICK!

Here's what you do...find one of those $200 cars on the side of the road (If it is stick). Then, teach her in that. When you get through, sell it for $205. Someone out there will buy it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you decided to step out of the shadows and join the fray!

We hope to hear a lot more from you!

tidester, host
    Rich:

Thanks for finally posting! Hope now that you've broken the ice that you will be a frequent poster. As evidenced by many of my posts, you don't really have to have much to say of any importance... just POST. :)

Man, if there is ANY way possible, buy NEW. I have never seen such a good time to buy a new vehicle in my life! You might know this would happen after I finally got cured from car trading all the time.

Used Jeeps hold their value so much, and the new ones have such great incentives, it makes since to buy new if you possibly can.

As for the transmission, I am with you on the five speed manual being the most desirable. Maybe you can talk the Mrs. into taking some lessons on driving a stick.

If you go automatic and go new, then you will get the four speed auto. I don't know anything about the reliability of that four speed vs. the old three speed. Hope someone can address that.

Hey if Momma wants you to get an automatic, that must mean Momma plans on driving it, and if she wants to drive a Jeep, she must be a pretty cool lady! (I would still try to talk her into the five speed, though.)

The four speed will have an overdrive gear to cut down on your RPMs at highway speed. The three speeds had a 1:1 third gear, and the four speeds have a .8:1 fourth gear, or something close to that. You will get better highway gas mileage (probably) with the four speed.

Good luck and keep us posted as things develop! We're all pulling for you!

Oh, now that you have posted, are you gonna start coming to Gill's and chat with some of us?

http://itsajeep.org

Tom

• earsears Member Posts: 20
    Hi all!

I’ve had my ’99 Sport for about 2.5 weeks now and I'm enjoying it very much. Unfortunately it only came with one key and the Jeep has the Sentry security feature (the key has a chip it). I went to the Jeep dealer today and they wanted $65 to make a duplicate; $40 for the key and $25 to program. I thought that was outrageous so I passed. Later I called the other Jeep dealer in the area and they wanted $90 - $95 ($50 to program).

Frustrated, I called a few local locksmiths but was told that going through the dealer was the only solution. Anyone else have this situation? Anyone know of any other solution? I may be forking out $65 for a key!

eARS
    Purchase the key and program it yourself. Your Owners Handbook has the instructions.
    Well, in that case, you can get "transponder" keys off eBay for $10 to $20 or so. Might be worth a look although the fine print on one auction says you need two existing keys to program it. Usual disclaimers!

Steve, Host
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    Tom wrote:
    ...."Man, if there is ANY way possible, buy NEW. I have never seen such a good time to buy a new vehicle in my life!......Used Jeeps hold their value so much, and the new ones have such great incentives, it makes since to buy new if you possibly can.....>>

Others here have made very favorable comments about Jeep resale value.....So, for the sake of balance, and argument, here's the situation here in Northern Californis (where the economy is "soft" right now, and good used items seem more reasonably priced than in years past). My 2000 Wrangler Sport hardtop, very well equipped, (30" package, Dana44, CD, hardtop,etc) stickered new at approx. 23,500. I looked at used ones, and easily found a 27000 mile, perfect, never hit 5 speed 2 1/2 year old Wrangler with brand new rubber and factory service records a few months ago for $13,500. Others just like it in the area were priced from $13-$16,000. So, after 2 1/2 years, the car has devalued $10,000. In the NEXT 2 1/2 years, I expect it to devalue maybe another $3-4000. I'm hoping a 5 year old well equipped Sport with 60,000 miles will still be worth approx. $9,500. or so. At any rate, I only posted this as just another way of thinking about value. Yes, I've bought new cars before, and love them, but, at least in my case, the used ones have been the more economical ones to own (cost per mile).
    Likalar
    P.S. I'll be adding an extended factory warrenty soon, an expense that I did not include in the above figures.
    P.P.S. The above is opinion, and varies greatly by region. ;-)
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    You can do this yourself, but it looks like you need two "good" keys in order to do it.

http://www.ewylie.com/senkeyprog.pdf (24k)

HTH

-twylie
    Yep, there is much to be said for letting someone else take that first big hit on depreciation. You know how it goes with a new car... drive it off the lot and it loses about a third of its value in the first mile that it is driven.

It's after that big initial drop that the Jeeps will hold value better than other vehicles.

Used or new, just get a JEEP! Ain't nothin' like em!

Tom