Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    tsjay

You are on the right track with your thinking about speed and wind resistance. It does go up about as the square of the speed. Twice as fast, four times the power.

Everyone

I keep hearing mileage mentioned in the 16 tp 18 mpg area. My 2000 sport has a little over 5000 miles on it. I have kept good records on the mileage since I have had it. It started out getting about 13.5 mpg, now it is up to about 14. Total mpg since I have owned it is 14.07. I do most of my driving in town. Even though I don't drive a lot of miles (about 5000 per year) I try to always drive 10 to twenty every time I take it out. All road miles so far. Dealer checked it for computer codes to see if he needed to fix anything,no problem codes. He says he doesn't know anything else to fix. Maybe it will come out of this when I get more miles on it and we get out of winter. Anyone else getting this poor of mileage?
  • Options
    ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    The goods:

2001 Sahara
    Forest Green/dark tan dual tops
    Automatic (I live in the middle of Boston)
    30" tire group
    ABS
    Trac-lok differential

Found it at Georgetown Jeep in Wilton, CT. They asked $300 over invoice, and wouldn't budge, but they gave me no BS otherwise so I decided to let them have it. Just waiting for all the paperwork to come through, I should have it no later than next Saturday. God how I am going to be glad of not taking the bus to work anymore.

I might give that Mobil 1 a try. I am willing to spend a little more if it will keep the car in better shape. I'm 25, landed a really good job two months ago, and decided I needed to buy a toy car while it was actually practical, which, barring fuel economy, this car is for me right now. Good in summer, good in winter, I don't need cargo space, no wife, no kids, and easy to park in city spaces. Plus it has a lot of personality, which so few vehicles do these days.

To a person, every one of my friends responded with "cool!" when I told them I was getting a Wrangler. I took my father along on the test drive and I think he's even more excited about it than I am- he can't wait to get to drive it! Now I just need summer to come, so I can drive it down to the cape sans top and doors. Sheesh, for the hours I work, I've earned this.

I'll send a link to a pic when I get the chance.

-cwk.
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I don't remember if you ever told us if your Jeep is a five speed or an automatic.

If all of your driving is in town, I don't think you are too far off what you should expect. You live in Chicago, right? That must be the worst possible place to drive for gas mileage. Well, I guess any big city would be about the same.

I am a little confused about your post. You said that your driving was in town, but then you later said that the miles were road miles? I think of road miles as highway driving, but maybe you meant they were miles on paved roads as opposed to offroading????

Take that puppy out on the highway sometime just for kicks and see what she does for gas mileage. Any place you could go that is maybe a couple hundred miles from home? If your mileage on a trip like that picks up to 18 mpg or higher, then you probably don't have a problem with the Jeep. That should mean it's just your driving conditions that are the problem.

tsjay
  • Options
    Thanks for the details. Sounds like a gorgeous Jeep! Definitely post some pics as soon as possible.

That was probably a smooth move getting the automatic, given your driving conditions. Like I said in my earlier post, I think that clutch would get to be a major pain in heavy traffic all the time.

If you think that you will be keeping the Jeep a long time, then I think that you would be wise to go with the Mobil 1. It's probably even more important for you to do so than for me, because of your driving conditions. City driving is much harder on an engine than the highway driving that I do.

That deal of $300.00 over invoice is not bad at all. With the exception of gcl98's steal on that Jeep of his, the best deals I've heard of are $200.00 over invoice. The dealers have to make a reasonable profit, and I don't begrudge them that.

I'm really happy for you, ckingsbury! I know it must be killing you waiting on delivery. Good luck with that baby.

Now, be thinking of a good name. Jeeps are terribly offended if they are not given a name, and they need to be talked to on a regular basis.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    dtavaresdtavares Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could answer a few Jeep Wrangler Questions for me. I'm thinking of purchasing a 01 Sport Hard top w/Air this week and am trying to talk myself into throwing practicality out the window. My job provides a company car or a nice allowance that will cover the car payments and much of the gas.

The problem I have is that I drive 20-25K miles per year and am worried if the miles will be too much for the car or my comfort. I've wanted one of these for about 5 years and know that I'll love it.

Does anyone drive a hell of a lot like I do. Any encourgaging words or advise would be appreaciated.

Dan
  • Options
    TSJay- I think I'll wait a week or two after it comes home to name mine. I want to see if it expresses any unique personality features.

DTavares- I just inked a deal for my Wrangler on Saturday, and thought about some of the same issues you are. The car will handle the miles, that's not the question. It's you, and it's a personality thing. A Jeep is a Jeep, it will never pretend to be something else, and just like a person, if you try and make it into something else it will end badly for both parties.

A few questions:

1. More city or more highway? I think the Wrangler is actually an excellent city car- nimble at city-street speeds, laughs at potholes, can park it anywhere. It's acceptable for highways, but not ideal.

2. What sort of car are you accustomed to? I'm a truck person, I grew up driving Chevys and Fords, I don't expect sports-car handling. I also like the high seating position. My old roommate drove his YJ across the country four times in two years, and two of those times in a month-and-a-half period, and said it was just fine.

3. Are you an incurable romantic? The Jeep is the living legend of the automotive world, all the more so now that SUV's are all the rage. It is an icon, the most distinctive vehicle on the road, period. If the thought of spending $25,000 (possibly) for a car that has hand-crank windows, manual door locks, and a fold-down windshield brings a smile to your face, then maybe it's right for you. I think my ideal vehicle would be a horse, but the Jeep is the closest thing that is still practical.

-cwk.
  • Options
    redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    I purchased my '98 TJ 11 months ago - and still can't believe how much fun it is! I've got two sons (17 and 15) who immediately elevated my "Parental Coolness Factor" - they love it every bit as much as I do. Even Bandit (our Huskie) loves to go "Jeep Jeep!" riding. Of course, my wife maintains it seems like a cult. And in some ways she's right! We've got a RED SE with 5-spd, soft top. And sure, it's a lot like driving a tent down the highway, but that's some of the appeal. IT IS A JEEP - - and has gone everywhere we've asked it to. I'd love to participate in one of the Jamborees, and maybe get a better feel of what its capabilities REALLY are. I'm sure I haven't pushed the envelope!

I also read some of the postings here last year as I was considering alternatives. The positive comments, camaraderie and multiple references to "Fun" all influenced me. Thanks for steering me in the right direction; hope this posting helps someone else!
  • Options
    I will put just about as many miles per year on my Jeep as you say you put on a vehicle. I was in the same quandry before buying Thelma Jane, and I took a poll in this message board, asking Jeep owners here if they thought a Jeep as one's only vehicle was a good idea, especially given the fact of my long commute (27 miles one way) and the fact that I will have to take frequent business trips of up to 300 miles.

I got eight responses, and seven out of eight were positive on the idea of the Jeep.

I have now had my Thelma Jane for about six weeks, and the daily commute is no problem. I have also taken one business trip of 250 miles one way, and, again, no problem.

The only thing is the lack of cargo room. That takes a little getting used to. It just makes you think a little bit and be smarter about what you carry around with you. The trunk of my Grand Prix GT that I traded-in on the Jeep was FULL of crap that I never used anyway. If you take the back seat out, you have much better cargo capacity, but I haven't even taken that step yet, and I still manage to have the things I really need with me.

The business trip I took was no problem, and, quite the opposite, was FUN! The seats are comfortable enough that I wasn't worn out by the trip any more than I would have been in a car.

Now, go get that Jeep! They are going for $200.00 over invoice a lot of places. That's the deal I got on mine and at the same time was given $1000.00 over average trade-in on the Grand Prix.

Here's Thelma's web page, and it includes the details of what equipment she has and the price.

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

It also includes the story of my shopping experience and shows that it sure pays to shop around!

Keep us posted. Ask any questions you might have. You'll find this group to be very eager to help you.

Good luck.

tsjay

• Options
    saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    Hey Dude,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was out driving around :) I have been very lucky and had no issues so far. Actually, one day my gadges didn't work. I freaked out. Once I got home I turned the TJ off and back on again, and they all worked fine. This has happened to other Jeepers and they told me to take it in because it was a common problem they knew about and would fix. I have been a bad boy and not not made it to the dealership, but the gadges have worked since. I'll make sure to take it in before my warranty expires.

Besides that, no leaks, no probs. I am also getting used to the noise factor.

I have been shopping for goodies online,

http://www.quadratec.com also any search engine will send you to tons of sites. I just ordered a tuffy overhead console for my CB.

Later.

• Options
    gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    While looking for info on my water leak on the NHTSA web site (lots of complaints), I saw a service bulletin about gauges not working due to a bad ground connection on either side of the dashboard, underneath the panel.

With 300 miles on the car, I've got the carpet ripped out and drying, with no obvious source of a leak....not a good way to start off.
  • Options
    texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    humphreys
    I don't think I would get a Jeep if you ever have to haul 2 adults and 3 kids. The backseat is not wide enough.

Volare
    I don't think you will see any difference in gas mileage going from 4 cyc to 6. I would get the 6.
    I believe 90' is the switch to fuel injection.

dpage35925
    Go with the 36's. Are you scared or something? Are you not man enough?
    Actually I think I would go with the spacers if I was you. Then after off-road for awhile you will have a better idea on how big you wanna go. You don't wanna get a 2.5" lift then want to turn around and get a 4.5". Just a thought
  • Options
    saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    I have had no water leaks. Except when it rained on me with the top down. I have even been driving in deep water and still no wet carpet. Could you be missing a rubber gromet or two?
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    congrats!

first I was going to say what do you need a jeep in boston for, then I saw the part about the Cape.

Have fun!!
  • Options
    I bet your wind resistance is less with the windscreen down and a nice set of goggles!!!

;-)
  • Options
    texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I always seem to get 15mpg. That is mixed (highway and street) driving and highway driving. I have the 4.0 manual. I think a great deal depends on how you drive. I have had 16mpg and I have had 12mpg. The 12mpg was with a strong headwind and I had to drive in 4th gear to keep my 75mph pace. I have heard of people getting 20 and 21mpg regularly.
    I drive from 70-80mph on the highway.
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience with aftermarket exhausts, headers, cams, and chips? I guess headers and exhaust will improve both MPG and power/torque at the cost of a little more noise. Chip and cam will improve power/torque at expense of mileage/emissions. If you DO have experience, what brands or recommendations?
  • Options
    scully530scully530 Member Posts: 4
    I have been without my jeep for a week now 8<. I took it in for several reasons, (2nd time) leaking fluid in rear wheel well, bad gas mileage, paint wearing off inside door, and leaking inside when it rains. Everyday the dealer calls all excited because they have fixed one of the problems. I don't know the actual outcome of all these problems because I don't have the paper work yet but they are claiming to have fixed most everything, except the gas mileage.
    (this jeep was taken in right after I bought it because it was missing 4 bolts from the transfer case.)
    1. Leaking fluid fix. The rear axel seal broke causing dirt and gunk to build up on the brakes. They had to replace the breaks. This had been broken for a while because I noticed the oil inside the wheel well a while back.
    2. Interior wet when it rains. They claim to have fixed this problem. I will let you guys know who have this same problem what they did.
    3. I am sure they didn't fix the problem with the door hitting and rubbing off the paint. I am sure this is just a band aid to shut me up.
    4. Bad gas mileage. I told them Friday that they needed to check to see how much grease they had to put in the axel. That I was sure that the gears may be messed up causing this to drag as well as the build up of gunk on the brakes. This may be causing the bad gas mileage. I told them I thought that because this engine was so powerful that I may not notice that this was happening.

I wrote to chrysler on everything and told them what I thought. (in a nice way)

What do you guys think?

Just a note here. This is really pathetic but these guys really nice and I can't be mean to them but I feel like I am potty training these guys. It's like "okay good you went potty on the toilet, now did you wip your butt. They go wip and come back all excited. Did you flush? Need I say more?
  • Options
    redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Had a Jeep birthday - lots of goodies. One easy question: can someone tell me which parking lamp wire I need to splice into so that they must be 'on' for my new Hella foglamps to work? The Hella instructions were no help at all (something like, "connect to parking lamp"). Any tips on where to find wiring diagrams on the 'net? ThX!
  • Options
    sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    The water leak is a common problem but there is a fix. Take it back to the dealer because there is a service bulletion for it and it's a free fix.

A header and/or cat back exhaust will help the motor breathe easier and get you a little more power but don't expect you milage to increase. There's no free meal for power, you will burn a little more gas. I personally like the Borla exhaust system because they are stainless steel and will never rust.

I considered getting a performance chip but decided against it because a lot of people have reported no power gains and some even wiped out their computers.
  • Options
    maybe your dragging brakes account for the poor gas mileage. you might just need to check it out with fixed brakes to see if that is so.
  • Options
    davedarrdavedarr Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1997 tj Wrangler....and am trying to find clear corner markers for it. I have found them on a few websites, but when i call the company that says they can get it..no...actually they can't. The selling company calls the manufactor to find out that the clear corners are discontinued. IF any one KNOWS of a company that sells them Please let me know ASAP.
    davedarr@collegeclub.com
  • Options
    gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    Keep me posted on what they claim to have done to fix the water leak.
  • Options
    spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    about those fog lamps. I hooked mine up under the dash. They were spliced in on the wire that was black with a yellow stripe going down it. But another way is to just follow the wire from the marker lights and just splice into it. They are easy to find. And they keep the same colored wrapping the whole time so you can trace them all the way back to the dash.
  • Options
    chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    Hello everyone. Sorry I haven been posting lately, but I have been Very busy with school. I Graduated this past week and it was hectic.
    I am back to inform you all that some one stole my GAS CAP! Ripped the tether out and took the cap. I was PASSED!!! But then I called the Jeep Dealer and found out how much a new one costs. A on locking one costs $25.00!! One that has a lock costs wait till you hear this....$50.00.. I almost hit my pants.. Also you cant buy this gas cap any where else. It is a new design especially for the 2001 Wrangler and there is no after market made yet. What a cam this is.. So I figured I would go with the locking gas cap, for no other reason as no one could do this again. It is back ordered 3 to 8 weeks!! It took less time to build the damn Jeep than it will take to get a GAS cap.. So I had to order the on locking one for $25. It will be here within 1 day. I hope a keeper didn't steal the cap because he lost his, but nothing else was taken or damaged so it doenst look good. Nothing worse than a unethical keeper!!
    Ok, I'm done venting for now...
  • Options
    If you are new to this group, you might get the wrong impression about Jeeps from the last several posts. Trust me, there are VERY few negative posts about Jeeps in this group over the long run.

I just went back through the first 340 posts, and there were six posts where people had problems with their Jeeps. Three of them were from the same guy.

I'll bet there's not another vehicle with a message board as positive as this one!

Take the time to go back a long way and see for yourself.

tsjay

• Options
    While the highlight of Jeep ownership for me will be summer drives on the Cape, there are other great reasons for this vehicle:

1. City traffic- a Wrangler is maneuverable like a sports car at street-crawl speeds, and a quick tap on the accelerator will back off that Beemer pilot who doesn't want your bull bar brushing up against his 325i.

2. City streets- there are plenty of streets here in Boston that look worse than the dirt road I grew up on in upstate NY. Potholes, steel plates, speed bumps, etc. These really scare my German sedan-driving friends, and I don't blame them.

3. Parking- you can wedge a Jeep in very small tight spaces easily.

4. Snow- nothing will be as much fun as powering out through the 12" of snow the plow kicked against all the cars while my nighbors shovel.

5. Cool factor! You look good cruising down the street in a Jeep, and feel good too, and that applies no matter where you're driving.

-cwk.
    T-5 days hopefully 'til my Sahara comes home...
  • Options
    spartan9spartan9 Member Posts: 6
    Since my leak hasn't been fixed and it rained a couple of days ago and then temps. dropped below freezing my carpet froze. Then I get in my Jeep this morning and find that it has frosted on the INSIDE of my car. The back vinyl window really gets frosted. It's really amazing and funny. The leak isn't coming from the top and the whole back could probably be turned into a mini pool. Hopefully it'll get fixed when I get it back to the shop. I have no other problems and it's a great car.
  • Options
    desertfoxxdesertfoxx Member Posts: 16
    I have been bitten by the Wrangler bug and ordered my Sport on January 5, 2001. I am so excited. My whole life I have only driven sports cars. But it was time to sell the MR2 Turbo (cool car though)and get a Wrangler. They are soooo cooool. I stumbled on this site and from the few messages I read Wrangler owners seem friendly and helpful. A refreshing change from the flaming common to the my car is faster than your car crowd. I am naming my Jeep "Rommel" as he will conqueor the desert here in Phoenix with speed and cunning!
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Isn't that a little politically incorrect? Maybe you could call it snuggles or foo foo so as to not offend anyone...
  • Options
    onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to let people new to the Jeep world know that Jeep problems do exist. The majority of people that have posted on this forum are very new Jeep owners and many others have not yet bought one. I realize that there are a number of positive posts on this forum, but many are from the same people and many are from people who are not even owners of Jeeps. If a person is considering the purchase of a Jeep, which by no means is a cheap vehicle, they should know the truth about them. The Good and the Bad.

The truth is Jeeps tend to leak water and not all from the same spot. There is a TSB out to fix a certain leak in the floorboard region, but this does not cover leaks due to poor fitting tops, plugs, or poor body seams. Not all leaks are easy to determine the location of, and it may take awhile to do so.

The Jeep transmission used in the 2000 model, the NVG3550 has many problems which DC has yet to address. If you are interested in learning about these problems from numerous Jeep owners who have , go to http://jeepsunlimited.com and do a search under the Wrangler forum for NVG3550.

The Jeep radiator is another weak spot. The core of a Jeep radiator is made of plastic and is very weak. They have a history of not lasting very long and believe me they don't. They are replaced without much hassle under warranty, if you still have a warranty.

Jeeps are not a car and do not handle like a car. I know that anyone who owns a Jeep knows this, but there are many people wanting a Jeep on here and they may have no clue about the quirks of a Jeep. Jeeps have a very short wheelbase with a high center of gravity. This translates to a vehicle that should not be driven like a sports car. Jeeps get thrown around by wind more easily than most cars and trucks. They should not be driven around corners fast, they are top heavy and short, a perfect combination for a roll over. They are not front wheel drive, so getting used to driving one takes awhile for those who have only driven front wheel drive cars all their life. I know that when the four wheel drive is engaged they are front wheel drive, but that is not always engaged and shouldn't be.

Many Jeeps also have an electrical problem with the gauges, but this is covered under a TSB. They have a faulty ground that they easily fix.

The last thing that people should know about Jeeps is the noise. Not all people are used to a noisy ride. This is why all people interested in a Jeep should go drive one for a long period of time on the OPEN highway. You should get the Jeep up to highway speeds for at least a good half hour and see if you like the noise and the handling. You can not tell if a Jeep is truely for you by reading a forum or magazine reviews, you must drive the Jeep. I have said it before, a Jeep is like a puppy, "Cute and Cuddly", but after about a week of owning a puppy, many people take them to the pound. A puppy doesn't cost much, but a Jeep can put you in the poor house, especially if you are young and have high insurance rates, always check with your insurance company before you buy a Jeep. Many people have purchased a Jeep to find out that with insurance, they can not afford them. Anyway, be sure to test drive the Jeep thoroughly, this is the main key to see if the Jeep is right for you.

There are the good qualities about a Jeep. They can be a hardtop or a convertable, which cannot be said for a lot of vehicles out there. They have great visibility, you can see over most cars with no problems. Four wheel drive is nice to have, especially if you live in a climate with snow. There are many companies that offer products to enhance the Jeep, to make it your own. But keep in mind that if you modify a Jeep, that any modification can be used against you by DC when trying to get warranty work done. If you lift, put bigger tires, after marker air cleaner, gears, lockers, or any other mod on your Jeep, you must know that DC may try to dismiss your warranty claim by saying it was the mod that caused the damage. They have to prove the damage was caused by the modification, but this process can be drawn out over a long period of time and if the Jeep is your only driver, then you are on foot. So talk to your service manager before you do any serious modification.

In closing, I have owned Jeeps for many years and enjoy them greatly. I have a 99 SE and a 2000 Sport. As I have posted, the 99 SE has been the source of numerous problems and when combined with the poor performance of the 2.5L, I do not think it will be around much longer. I like the 2000 Sport very much, even with the noisy transmission. Jeep owners are among the best people you could meet. They have always been helpful and I have known many over the years. As long you do a long test drive, a thorough inspection of the Jeep,"if buying used", and realize that you are not buying a car, I feel that you can have a positive Jeep experience. So go get out of work or home, away from the computer and go test drive a Jeep for the rest of the day and see if it is for you.

• Options
    shuggins1shuggins1 Member Posts: 13
    great post! I am also a long time jeep owner. The term JEEP "just empty every pocket" came about for a good reason. It cost $$$ to do mods and repairs. It's little things and big things that go wrong. My last Jeep was a 93 that I got new. I drove it for 6 years and put 145k miles on it! I blew the first engine at 50k miles, clutch at 60k, trans at 70k. so on and so on! Now DC has made some major improvements from the 93 to the 2001 I have now. The problems are all part of owning a jeep. This is not a negative post I loved my 1st jeep to death and it was dead when I traded it in. I love my new jeep but I know there will be problems. I knew that when I bought it. It has 1800 miles on it and the hard top has a slight leak somewhere around the back window. No big deal it's a jeep it's going to get wet!
  • Options
    jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the info. I may buy a Jeep later this year. I know I'll have to thoroughly test drive one and check it out when I start looking. Unfortunately you can't tell from a test drive how the dealer will treat you after the sale, and what kind of service you'll get. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Dodge (and other car makers) from friends, and reading on the internet. That's why I may check into a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan. I've had my fill of GM products.

Since Jeeps can roll over easily, I'm surprised you don't hear more about it, especially now. Is the Jeep on the list of SUV that consumer advocates want to kill? Was it tested?

Are the older Jeeps, like the YJs, better in terms of reliability and leak problems? I know they don't ride like the TJs.

Thanks. J
  • Options
    I hope it wasn't me that made it sound like I was complaining about jeeps. Well I was complaining about mine. The reason I joined this group was to find out if any one may be experiencing the same problems that I am and maybe I would be able to help the service department find the problem.. Also, usually if you own a jeep, you really love them. This is my 2nd wrangler and I was very lucky with the first until I was hit in it. I would highly recommend a jeep. Besides my brother works at the Jeep plant in Toledo and if we all keep buying them he has a job.

I would be sad if I didn't have a jeep and will buy another one when this one wears out. But I'm not telling Chrysler that till they fix this one.

p. s. I haven't been able to hug my jeep in over a week.
  • Options
    peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    You should check around...I got a factory locking gas cap for my jeep for around $12.
  • Options
    onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    You have the right attitude shuggins1. The sticker on my Jeep is "It is a Jeep thing... You wouldn't understand". I feel that a Jeep is a lot like a Harley, they are a great vehicle, but not for everyone. I have been seeing a lot of posts from non-Jeep owners that are interested in Jeeps on here and they need to know the good and bad about Jeeps. For those of us who really enjoy Jeeps, problems will not bother us much, some are to even be expected, such as water in the cab. I have never had a Jeep that did not leak. I judge a lot of people based on my wife. When I first got the 99 SE, it drove her crazy. It was too noisy, leaked and scared her to drive it. Well, after about 3 months, she started getting used to my Jeep and then she mentioned she would like one. Now she and I both have one, she drives the 99 SE and I drive the 2000 Sport. I have been having a lot of problems with the 99 lately, but they have all been fixed under warranty and I am sure I will end up keeping it for sometime to come. I have a great service department to take my Jeep to. I also have a 1953 CJ3A that I use as my toy, but that is a completely different animal. I just wanted to say that you have the right attitude about Jeeps. Yes, they do break and have problems, but that is what makes them a Jeep.

Jeffer2:
    As long as you thoroughly test drive a Jeep before you buy it, you should not have buyers regret. I know that with the price of new Jeeps being so much, I would hate to pay that much money and turn around and trade it in. You are completely right to be worried about Jeep service departments. There are a lot of horror stories out there right now and this is not without reason. DC seems to be trying to get out of fixing a lot of Jeeps out there and the dealerships seem to be the source for alot of the problems. A good service department can make or break a company and DC needs to have a talk with a lot of theirs. I have a great service department, thankfully. I have never taken my Jeep in and had them give me any problems, but many can not say the same. I hope if you buy a Jeep, you find a dealership with a good service department, because you will most likely be there sometime during your ownership. The YJ's are a different animal than the TJ all together. They have their own positives and negatives, it all depends on what you plan on doing with your Jeep. There are a lot of great YJs out there that are in good shape and priced nice. If you have a limited budget and would like to have a Jeep, do not overlook a YJ. They can offer lots of enjoyment and can be modified to do anything you would want from a Jeep.

Scully530:
    I am not pointing fingers at you, I just wanted to point out to people that Jeeps have problems, mine included. It seems that some people try to stress the point that Jeeps are trouble free and don't have problems, and this is just not so. I am happy for anyone who has a Jeep and has never had a problem with it, but you are among a very elite group. Scully530, you have every reason to complain about your Jeep, any of us do. I just got to thinking that if I was a person thinking of buying a Jeep and all they saw were people sugar coating them about how they never had problems, I would be pretty dissapointed when I bought one and the thing started to leak and have problems. Then, when they post they have problems, people then tell them it is a "Jeep Thing". Well, I am here to tell them it is a "Jeep Thing", and that owning a Jeep is a "Love/Hate" relationship. Currently I love my Jeep and Hate it, that is just the way they are, but I will tell everyone this. For every 1 day I hate it, I have 20 days that I wouldn't take a millions dollars for it. I hope you get you Jeep fixed soon scully530 so that you can start to have some good times again in that Jeep.
  • Options
    I wasn't singling you out in my post #927. It just seems that we went for such a long time in this group without anyone posting about problems with their Jeeps, and then all of a sudden, you have your problems, gcl98 has his leak, and spartan9 has a leak.

For Pete's sake, if anyone has a problem, by all means post it! It is to the benefit of all of us to know what problems are ocurring and what the fixes are.

I was just afraid that someone new to the group would see the recent concentration of posts about problems and get the wrong impression about the reliability and quality of Wranglers.

I wish I had the energy to go through all the posts in Wrangler IV and count the posts about problems. I made it up to #340 last night and only found the few that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Onlyinajeep is the voice of experience and I am just a rookie Jeep owner, so all I can say with certainty is that Thelma Jane had been absolutely PERFECT for her first 2300 miles. She is even more fun than I had imagined she would be, and I couldn't be more pleased with her.

So, please do keep us up to date on your troubles. And, anyone else that has a problem with your Jeep, I hope you too will post about it.

I will do the same if the time ever comes.

tsjay

• Options
    I might name my cat Snuggles but not my jeep. I think I'll stick with Rommel, PC or not. As for foo foo, well.....
  • Options
    As being new to the jeep scene I appreciate all the honest talk about potential problems. I ordered mine on January 5th and can't wait. I owned a Fiat X19 for 5 years as my only vehicle and am well aware that certain makes have unique problems. But if you love what you drive you deal with it. I am not to spooked on a new jeep - at least you have a warranty. Also my mother has worked at the dealership for 15 years so service should be fine. Thanks for the info everyone. The flow of information helps us all.
  • Options
    saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for your response to my post. I guess dealers get rid of some of the 2001 Jeeps by selling during the downtime before 2002 production begins. As in my case. I'm ready to buy now, and don't want to wait until late July or early August for the 2002's.

Also, the salesperson I'm dealing with has verbally committed to selling a Sahara to me at $200 below invoice. So, I guess they do negotiate a little more at the end of the model year. I'm waiting for their final order of 2001 inventory to be delivered in a few weeks. They have one coming in with the options I would have ordered. I'll be taking advantage of the low APR, so no $500 rebate for me.

I'm a little nervous about buying one without ABS, though. I hope I'm not making a mistake. It's been a long time since I drove a car without ABS. If I had placed an order, I probably would have opted for ABS. I never slam on my brakes, though. Never. Also, will I have a problem with resale if I buy an automatic? Are autos becoming more popular with Jeep owners? The saleperson says they are. According to him, it's getting close to 50/50. That can't be right, can it? I have noticed a lot of automatics on dealer lots, though. I guess they wouldn't order them if they don't sell.

Man, I do sound like a nervous wreck! Thanks for listening!
  • Options
    Glad to hear you will be joining us! Now, like I told Mr. Ckingsbury, you "gots ta give us the goodies." Tell us what color Rommel will be and what equipment you are getting!

As far as the "PC" issue, davidb72's tongue in cheek comment reminds me of something else I like about Jeeps. Jeeps ARE politically incorrect!

Congratulations, desertfoxx. Tell us all about Rommel.

tsjay

• Options
    chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    Peterskm,

I checked around with local parts companies and aftermarket Jeep companies, but all said the same thing. On the 2001 Wranglers they changed the gas cap to a non screw type and no one make a aftermarket type yet. So I went out to investigate my gas fill area. It has 2 raised notches in it and the cap pops into place. The concept is sort of like a Pickle Jar, it doesn't really screw on like a mayo jar. With less than a 1/4 turn it locks into place. So without a aftermarket type being made, I HAVE to buy from the Jeep dealer or find one in a Junk Yard. It pisses me off to have to pay $25 for a non locking cap when every aftermarket Jeep catalog has a locking one for $10 to $12. Even the 2000 Mopar aftermarket catalog you get from the Jeep dealer has a picture of a locking gas cap, ONLY $15. This price was BEFORE they changed this MUCH needed upgrade. I guess the Krauts at DC have found another way to get a few $$ out of my pocket...So I guess the moral of this story is, If you have a 2001 TJ dont loose you Gas Cap because they aint cheep and your friendly 5 Star Jeep Dealer is the only game in town.

Enough bitchin about a gas cap....My Jeep is running AWSOME!!! I haven't been able to wash her in a few weeks (Rain, then snow, salt and FREEZING temperatures), but before I leave for Sunny Las Vegas She'll be all cleaned up..I havent named her yet. Anyone have any ideas....I was thinking of Runnin Rebel, as I am a Las Vegas Resident and formally attended UNLV. Also my Jeep is Red and Black....The colors of the Runnin Rebels.....

I have a question for all of you. I have a hard top but I didn't get the Dual top option and now I want to get a soft top for summer. What should I get? I was looking at Best Top. Has anyone installed one of these? Are they hard to install? How about the ease of putting the top up and down?

Well peace love and bubbles......
  • Options
    aucrzyaucrzy Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a '98 Wrangler Sahara with 82,000 miles (of course the seller says it is all highway). I've never owned a Jeep but have spent the last year pondering ownership of one. I'm not interested in a new one yet... can anyone tell me if this has been a fairly reliable model? The jeep appears to be in good shape... are there any problem areas that I should have a mechanic check. Seller says that he recently replaced the exhaust manifold, but nothing else... Also, how expensive will a used or after market hard top cost me and does anyone know if the hard top can be fitted for kayak racks?? I've enjoyed your posts (they've been very insightful) and though I know that a jeep is not the most practical vehicle, I want one. Thanks in advance for your response!
  • Options
    Okay, here is the scoop on the leak in the rear. If I didn't tell you already I have the hard top on it. The seal that goes around the window was defective and they removed it and replaced it with new. They fixed the rear main axel seal and replaced the brake. They couldn't find anything wrong with the perfomance of the engine but recommended that I keep an eye on a few things. (bad gas milage) Also the reason the paint was wearing out on the drivers side door was because it was mis-aligned. They fixed all and repainted. I forgot how much I missed all the power she has. I've been driving around a little MX6 which is also fun but not as much as the jeep.

For the record. I would recommend a jeep to anyone who wants to feel good when they are driving around. Also, you look better in a jeep!
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Hey all, been a while since I've checked in. Glad to hear tsjay is happy with his New Jeep.

Regarding Bestop soft tops: I bought my Jeep with a factory hard top and bought the Bestop Sunrider later for about $500. It's a pretty good top and I like the ability to fold back the front quickly. Initial installation took a couple hours; once you attach a few brackets etc, switching back and forth b/w the hard and soft tops is a breeze, mebbe a 25 minute job. Note that Bestop will soon offer their tops with a new heavier, quieter material a la the new Mopar tops.

On the '98 Sahara question: I have a '98 Sport, essentially the same vehicle. The only problem I had to have fixed was a bad linkage behind the dash that killed by gauges, covered under warranty. It's been a reliable vehicle. Aftermarket hard tops cost a fortune, upwards of $1500 and you won't get the full doors with roll down windows. It is much easier to find one with the factory hard top and buy a good aftermarket soft top.
  • Options
    Boy, where you been? It's great to hear from you again!

You got that right about me lovin' my Jeep. Me and Thelma Jane have been getting along fine. Absolutely no problems with her to date with 2400 miles on her so far. (If you guys have noticed how quickly my miles have been going up, that's that 27 mile one way drive to work every day.)

Goducks, I can't remember exactly when it was that you dropped from sight, but I want to be sure you've seen my Thelma Jane. Check out her web page, if you were gone before I built it.

You might have still been around when I first built the page, but I sort of think you were already gone by then.

Once again, glad you're back.

tsjay

• Options
    Hey, I've been meaning to tell you that I enjoyed your post about how you and your boys are having such a good time with that TJ. (Oh, and the doggy too)

Being both a Jeep lover AND a dog lover puts you way up on my "coolness" scale too.

Keep posting and take good care of that Jeep.

tsjay
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Here is the low down on Rommel.

Wrangler Sport, 5spd
    Stone White
    Black Hardtop
    Agate Interior (I love those seats!)
    30 inch tire package
    trac lock differntial
    AC (obviously...I live in Phoenix!)
    AM/FM/CD - Powered Sub Woofer
    Deep Tinted Glass
    Body Side Steps

I was really torn between Stone White and Silverstone. I like them both but AZ is hard on silver paint! There is a bonus with the white paint and hard top that I noticed. All the hard tops I have seen are finished in white on the inside; no matter what color jeep you are putting it on. If you happen to get a white jeep it matches the metal painted interior pieces (which are a lot) quite nicely. I also ordered the removeable side steps. With 40+ SE's & Sports on the lot only 4 had them. I must be one of the few that likes them.

I paid 100.00 over invoice (thats my mom's employee price on any new vechicle). I found a dealer in Casa Grande (small town 50 miles S. of Phoenix) that will order them all day long for $100.00 over invoice. I felt kind of bad because he is totally into wranglers and his offer came first but with the prices the same I felt I had to stick with family since I will be getting service where my mother works. He totally agreed with me that I was doing the right thing. He was such a gentleman, I hope he sells a billion wranglers. Well that's the story on Rommel! Can't wait till he gets here.
  • Options
    I like Runnin Rebel! Cool Name!
  • Options
    Are you kidding me? It sounds like you are describing my Thelma Jane! White Sport, black hard top, 5-speed, subwoofer, etc. Thelma doesn't have the side steps, though.

Check her out on her web page:

What's really weird is your comment about how close you came to getting the Silverstone. I could have just about flipped a coin between white and Silverstone myself, and I actually delayed the ordering of my Jeep by one full day while I made up my mind between the two.

When you say 30" tire package, I assume you have the Canyon wheels and the Dana 44 rear end? That's what Thelma has. I didn't get the Trac Loc, because I didn't know what a good option it was until I had already ordered. Everybody says there's after market stuff that is even better than the factory system, so if I decide I just have to have a limited slip rear end, I can upgrade later.

Man, I think you and I are the only two active participants in this group that have white TJ's. It's nice to know that Thelma Jane has a twin brother.

When are you expecting delivery on that baby?

Later, foxx

tsjay

• Options
    Hey, I meant to include this in my last post.

Why don't you email me or chat with me sometime? My email is listed in my profile, and if you have Instant Message, I'm tjoh298765, so put me on your buddy list and holler sometime when you see that I'm on line, which is every night for about three or four hours (need to get a life, don't I?)

I'm on Central Standard Time, and I assume you are on Pacific, so I'm two hours ahead of you. I am usually off line by 10:00 PM CST, so you'll have to get on early to catch me, if you want to chat. The only reason I'm on so late tonight (it's 2:09 AM) is that I fell asleep about 8:30 PM while I was letting my son use the phone line to get on the Net on his computer, and I woke up at about 1:00 AM.

That invitation to chat is extended to all of you guys and gals in this group, so holler at me sometime.

tsjay