Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Sounds good Tom, Go Green for the Championship! BTW, if you have the choice of wheelin' your Jeep or watchin' Nascar live, I'd hope you use your VCR and go get Thelma dirty.

I think I'll head out to the Oregon coast on Saturday to do some storm watching. We've got a strong one blowing in off the Pacific and are predicting 35ft waves, high winds, several inches of rain and a little flooding. Pretty fun to visit and see first hand, just as long you don't have to live there.

-Pete
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    That's the plan. Go wheelin and watch the race when I get home. Like I said, I think I jinx em when I watch live anyway.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I've removed all the seats from my TJ when I installed new carpetting for it. The old was in PATHETIC shape. Removing the seats is just a question of taking out a couple of bolts. The front seats were a bit tougher (due to the seat belt sensor), but still not a big issue.

I will be doing new brakes and radiator/thermostat this weekend. The radiator leak came back with a vengeance so I ordered one from radiator.com (CSF 2 row all metal). I am picking up the new hoses and thermostat tonight so I'll be ready to go. I'll be using Stu's site with pics as a guide, so I'm confident it'll go smoothly. I also just bought a fluid extractor (MityVac) that I'll be using for oil changes and brake bleeding. It'll pay for itself once I use it on my other cars.

-Paul
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It'd be good to change the heater hoses at the same time. They carry the same pressure and heat loads as the radiator hoses, and they're probably the same age. Of course, you'll be flushing the system before you disassemble things............ won't you?

Mityvac is good for brake bleeding (although I prefer a pressure bleeder), but as with any suction device, it won't get the last dregs out of your engine, transmission, diffs, etc............. and it's the dregs you really want to remove!
  • Options
    The system will be all clean when I'm done with it. :)

As for the Mityvac, I thought those kinds of systems actually get more out than just draining. Is there a better way to ensure all the junk gets out short of a high pressure hose?! :)

-Paul
  • Options
    Drain the engine and transmission by removing the drain plugs, then when you're ready to replace them, go and have a cup of coffee and wait a while longer!

With the diffs you have to remove the covers, let them drain, then clean out what's left at the bottom of the housing with careful use of brake or carb cleaner and paper towel.
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Right on! We should start a mini club of sorts for former WRX, now Wrangler owners. :-)

I love my Sport. Plan to upgrade to 31" tires when the 30" ones are ready to be replaced. Might do a slight 2" lift. The only things I've done so far are the removal of the dorky (IMHO) plastic bumper end caps, putting on some black mesh rear light shields, Jeep add-a-trunk, and replacing the stock stereo/cassette w/an Alpine CD/stereo. I've become much more conservative w/my aftermarket spending sprees vs what I did w/the WRX!

Looking forward to seeing you post here more.

It's a Jeep Thang, you wouldn't understand. (my mantra to those that don't own a Jeep)

Jeepful in Seattle,
    Stephen
  • Options
    Have heard that it is important not to use anything that would leave fibers behind when you are cleaning out the diffs. Is it OK to use paper towels? Guess it depends on the type?

Tom

• Options
    ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    I have had my jeep for about two weeks and I have already done a 2" lift and added 31 inch tires. Next, I am going to rhino line the whole inside, new custom bumpers on front and back and I will probably stop there. A buddy of mine owns a custom jeep shop and I did a large mural throughout his whole shop and office area. I did the mural and he's doing everything on my jeep for free. HAve to love the bartering system.
    -scott
  • Options
    Yes, that's basically correct. I like to use paper towels because there's no temptation to use them twice. As I guess you know from your job, paper towels can be made from a variety of substances, some of which would be abrasive enough to scratch the lenses of your glasses for example. However, the diff is a pretty heavy duty piece of machinery and if a couple of fibres were to get left in it I doubt it would do any harm. If you use paper towel to swab out the brake cleaner/oil from the bottom, rather than as a scrub rag, I wouldn't anticipate there's much chance of anything being left in there.

You can use a lint free rag, but it should be discarded or laundered after use, which rarely happens. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, so I just use rags for polishing etc.
  • Options
    Yeah, guess you are only using the paper towel to "sop up" the brake cleaner that pools in the bottom of the diff housing anyway, and not really scrubbing anything with it, which COULD leave a lot of fibers behind.

Peeps, don't be afraid to use LOTS of brake cleaner in there. As long as you've gone to the trouble to remove the covers from your diffs, you want to get ALL of the crud out.

Tom

• Options
    leafchildleafchild Member Posts: 24
    tsjay-Yes, my top has the dark tinted windows with the defroster and washer/wiper. In the days I lived in colorado, I'm sure I would not have parted with it.

mtngal-Nope, I wasn't anywhere near the storms or the flood. Just bad traffic from really bad traffic all the way over where that all was happening. So far I've been lucky being spared the fires or the storm/flood. :)
  • Options
    Hey, Jeep Buds, I have started a web page dedicated to Turkey Bay OHV Area, where I go almost every weekend (and where I would be right now if it weren't for this rain!).

I have only a beginning so far, so please go back in a couple days and check it out again, since I will be adding more today and tomorrow.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom

• Options
    Well, the local Busch team gave it a good run, but they came up just 14 points short of the Championship. I am very proud of them, never the less. They gave it all they had all year and competed against teams with much larger budgets.

Today, David Green and crew brought that car from three laps down early in the race to finish in the top ten! It wasn't quite enough to overcome the points lead that Vickers took into the race, but it was an amazing performance!

CONGRATS TIMBERWOLF TEAM!

I can't wait til next year!

Tom

• Options
    bigjohnnybigjohnny Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered them the other day from Quadratec. Does the lens for the blinker come with them.

Thanks
    John
  • Options
    Don't know the answer to your question.

Sorry I missed ya in Gill's chat room.

Tom

• Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Tom:
    Great web page. Keep the info and pics coming.
    Sorry you got rained out this weekend, but your alternate project should generate interest in Turkey Bay OHV Area and off roading in general.

Terry
  • Options
    Thanks! It is a labor of love, obviously. I have a LOT more to add, but I ran into a slight complication... ran out of free web space on my primary account. I can set up a new email account and get more web space to store my pics on and then link them to the Turkey Bay website. I'm allowed up to eight email accounts on earthlink with my subscription, and each one gets 10MB free web space. That oughta be enough, huh? :)

It takes a little while for a new email account to activate, so I guess I'm dead in the water until that new account becomes active.

I hope you read that article by David Nickell that I linked in my "People Between the Rivers" section. Is that a sad story, or what!

Tom

• Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    My brand new Jeep has been attacked by vandals. The Jeep is barely a month old; doesn't even have plates yet.

It happened last night parked in a residential driveway of Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley. They got my girlfriends' truck (F-150); slashed her two driver's side tires. And my Jeep's passenger side tires and spare, meaning I had to get a flatbed to tow it. They also knifed 2 of the 3 soft top windows.

Happily, my insurance deductible is $250.00, and the repairs are simple. They could have done far more damage.

No tire store had the Wrangler GSAs, so she's sitting at a Jeep dealer waiting for the service dept. to open Monday a.m. Hopefully, they have GSAs in stock.

As for the top, do I need to buy a whole new top, or can windows be purchased separately? No biggee; as I said, my insurance is good.

I suppose I'll have to pony up for a motion alarm at some point even though I find them generally annoying.

(Sigh) I never even got to put the top down....

-Mike
  • Options
    Man, what in the world do people get out of destroying other people's property?

Sure sorry about what happened, Mike.

Like you said, it could have been MUCH worse, but it still stinks.

Hey, might be a good time to upgrade those tires? You should get a REAL good trade-in on the GSA's that have not been damaged, and maybe your insurance would allow you to pay the difference and get some 31 x 10.50 BFG All Terrains or Muds ( I like the Muds better for my type of wheelin' ).

You know you can put 31 x 10.50s on a stock TJ, don't you? No lift required. They really make a Jeep look better.

Tom

• Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I hate alarms also - I have one in the Wrangler but it is turned off most of the time. That might be different if I lived in the San Fernando Valley, though. Don't ask me why people get pleasure out of slashing tires and soft tops.

A couple of years ago one of our contributers had people trying to steal his new yellow Wrangler more than once (don't really remember where in LA he was from). So take care of yours - Wranglers do have a higher than normal theft rate (at least they did the year I bought mine).

Did you try Just Tires? I remember once stopping into one in Torrance (was early visiting friends) and replacing my Goodyear Wrangler 30x9.5 tires there.
  • Options
    Well I swapped my radiator this weekend. Test drove it fine. My daughter took it to work yesterday and this morning, there is coolant all over the driveway. I can't tell where the leak is coming from, but it is NOT the radiator itself. I suspect I didn't tighten a hose all the way (most likely the lower hose).

That really chaps me. I thought I got it all. So now another evening under the car looking for holes or leaks. :(

I did notice the front diff has a leak (definitely not coolant! :) ). I'm trying to determine if replacing the seal on the front diff will be too difficult (it is where the diff means the driveshaft). Any ideas? Do I need special tools to fix that? I'm not touching it until I get the coolant problems fixed.

-Paul
  • Options
    I agree with Tom's sentiments and I'd seriously consider his suggestion to take the opportunity to upgrade.

You can buy the side windows separately, both clear and tinted.
  • Options
    Before you start tightening up hoses (they can be overtightened) run the engine until it's up to temp. This will pressurize the coolant system and any leaks will emphasized.

If you haven't examined it at it yet, check out the water pump. You'll need a mirror to check underneath where the weep hole is. If the pump is leaking that's where it'll come from, and it's easy to overlook.
  • Options
    Mac, I'm hoping it's not the pump. But I'll check that out. I guess I'll have to refill the radiator a bit (the reservoir is nearly empty) and I'm not sure how the radiator is right now (I will have to diagnose it later tonight).

I'm hoping it is just the lower radiator hose that I didn't really tighten enough (those squeeze clamps really annoy me w/o the right tools :) ).

When I test drove it on Saturday, there were no leaks at all. I had it warming up for about 10 minutes, then drove it for about another 10 or so. I would have thought that was enough time to build up the pressure and tell me about any leaks.

-Paul
  • Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Mike:
    What a bummer with your Jeep. Like Tom, I just can't understand why people tear up stuff just for the hell of it. I don't lock mine (I live in the southern Chicago burbs) and leave the glove box and console open when in public places like mall parking lots. I'm hoping that would deter someone from trying to steal something. Of course, this assumes they would be smart enough to try the door (doubtful) and would not help with the guy that just wanted to damage something.

Tom:
    I read the "People Between the Rivers" thing when you put up the link the first time. Sometime I just do not understand our government, even though overall it's the best one going.
    I have bookmarked your page and will check it often.

Terry
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    hi everyone. my new 04 Sport (silver with black top, fogs, nice wheels, and trak-loc) has about 1800 miles on it. it will be a month old on Saturday. Ginger Jeep got muddy for the first time (on purpose) yesterday :)

anyway, i notice that when my foot is NOT on the clutch, the engine/drivetrain, at idle, makes a sort of clattering noise. when i depress the clutch, it goes away.

simple explanation i know, but what is it that i am doing when i press the clutch that makes the noise go away again? something about flywheels or plates or something?

thanks!
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The manual transmission in your TJ is notorious for making the noise you describe. Either ignore it or turn up the radio-the clattering is normal.
  • Options
    i don't mind the noise, just wondering about the technical reason behind the noise.....my 99 Sport was noisy too.
  • Options
    Your 99 would have had the AX-15 tranny, and I don't know if they had any characteristic noise or not. You have the NV3550 tranny in your 04, and, believe me, THEY sure have a noise when in neutral with the clutch out and the engine running. It's just a quirk of the NV3550's, and it shouldn't hurt a thing. My Thelma Jane has done that from the beginning, and she has 38K miles on her now with no tranny problems whatsoever.

Welcome to the board. Sounds like ya got a real nice Jeep!

Tom

• Options
    Yes, that an interesting article. I look forward to seeing pictures.

With regard to your transmission, it really is a case of 'they all do that sir!'. What you are hearing are various shafts, gears, and bearings spinning around without any load. It's a commercial type transmission and there's very little sound insulation around the transmission tunnel. When you depress the clutch pedal in neutral with the engine running, you disconnect the engine from the transmission. With the exception of the clutch release bearing, everything in the transmission stops rotating, hence the noise stops. If the noise were to increase when you depressed the clutch pedal it would likely be an indication of a faulty release bearing.
  • Options
    Guys and Gals, your old Bud, the Tomster, is asking for a favor. Please go to my website about Turkey Bay, and click on the "Turkey Bay's Future at Stake" link on the navigation bar. In that section, you will find a link to an LBL site, and on that page, in turn, you will find a link to email the Forest Service with your opinion about the continuation of off roading at Turkey Bay.

So, you don't live close enough to use Turkey Bay for wheelin', or you don't even wheel at all. No matter, you still have an opinion, and, since it is a NATIONAL recreation area, it doesn't matter how close you live to Turkey Bay. Your opinion counts the same as someone living just outside the borders of LBL.

There is a trend all across our country for public lands to be closed to off roading, because of the pressure from environmental extremists. Please help me keep that from happening at Turkey Bay. A simple email is all that I ask of you. It could make a BIG difference!

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Thanks.

Tom

• Options
    my 99 Sport did have transmission noises, but again, they don't actually bother me. part of the Wrangler experience is hearing the gears whine and the drivetrain do its job :)

the 04 is great so far! i also miss my "pull out" headlight knob. my 95 and 99 had the old fashioned headlight knob, this new 04 has a typical turn signal stalk headlight controller :(
  • Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 300
    I read the article. Thanks for the link Justin.

So, does this mean that DaimlerChrysler finally "understands" the meaning of Jeep? Should we not be scared that future Jeeps will be less capable offroad than an Explorer? Will this stop people from saying that GM should buy the Jeep division from DC?

The article can only be good news, and did anyone notice the new Long Wheelbase Jeep in the photo? Looks great! Too bad the Scrambler got scrapped.

I just got caught up on somewhere around 300 messages. Congrats on all the new and "new to me" Jeeps! It's wonderful just to look at a Jeep, it's a blast to drive one! All of you must be very happy!

Hug your Jeeps for me. :-)

Marlon
  • Options
    mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I'm on the list!!!! I can't wait to try Buttpucker next time. My brother-in-law wants to go. Maybe this Saturday will be better.
  • Options
    drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Yeah, it's hard to understand what makes people feel like they can go around damaging property. Makes me think about that theft-deterrent flamethrower system that was advertised in South Africa a few years ago. Might make people think twice if the consequences were dire enough (then again, I'd hate to be there when the unit malfunctions!).

Leaving the car unlocked with the compartments open... A friend of mine had his vehicle broken into and that is one thing his insurance broker said. If a thief wants to get inside the vehicle, they will, it's just a matter of how much damage they will do in the process.

That brings me to another thought, what do most of you owners think about security systems on Wranglers... is it worth it? I always thought something like a hidden valve to shut off the fuel line would be a better investment given that most folks seem to ignore alarms going off... Thoughts?

Andrew
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Personally, I'm all for the anti-theft device James Bond used on his Lotus. When the thief turns the ignition, the vehicle explodes. You lose the car, but feel enormously satisfied.

I have the Sentry Key, which helps against outright theft. Was considering Lojack for same reason. Am now entertaining after-market motion alarm for future vandals.

Jeep service guy is helping out (not a 5 Star dealer, so I wasn't optimistic at first). He even recommended saving money on the soft top by getting it repaired at a sail maker in the Marina. Insurance guy comes to look at it Wed. Will know more then.

Thanks all.

-Mike
  • Options
    geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    I sympathize 100%. I'm always amazed at the frequency of stuff like this. Nothing but mean in the bones of the people that did that to you. Every time I go hiking I spend way too much time wondering what condition my vehicle will be in when I get back to it. I'll let you all know when I figure these things out. :-)

If you've got a garage, that's the best security. Other than that, I think just about every kind of alarm has been defeated. I too leave my doors open. Around Seattle breaking into cars for identity theft has become a big thing so I leave absolutely nothing in my cars. No registration, nothing.

Hope your ride gets fixed and you can drop the top soon.
  • Options
    geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Mike, that five-star rating means not one thing in my book. I speak from one-star experiences with five-star dealers. If you got a good guy, let him know you appreciate it and keep going back.
  • Options
    Sentry Key works well. Fitting a hidden switch to the fuel pump relay (easier to fit than a valve, and you won't have to lift the hood or crawl underneath to operate it) will work too. However, if they really want the vehicle they'll take it away on a flatbed.

I usually leave the console and glovebox open and put the t/c in neutral. Unfortunately, none of this will protect from vandalism. :--(
  • Options
    colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    Sorry to hear about your TJ. Our town had 150 windows shot out with a high powered BB gun. The fortunate thing about having my soft top on at that time was that the softer windows absorbed the impact instead of breaking.

Have any of you seen American Expedition Vehicles homepage? www.aev-conversions.com. If you look at thier Brute Conversion, that is the sole reason why Jeep nixed the Scrambler. Thier concept couldn't compare. They had some great pics from the sema show including a 5.7L Hemi TJ!
  • Options
    I have noticed that people do this because they are jealous. I just don't get it.

My JGC was at LAX for a few days while we went to Hawaii. Somebody keyed it in the parking lot. I just don't get it at all.

Same thing goes for stealing parts off a car.

-Paul
  • Options
    Sorry, forgot to answer this from your earlier post.

Basically, if you want to do it properly (which you should!), the FSM has full details. The 'shadetree' way is to remove the propshaft from the yoke, undo the pinion nut and remove the yoke having first marked the relationship of the pinion nut to the yoke with a 'Sharpie', then pry out the seal. Fit a new seal, make sure the surface of the yoke that it rides against is smooth, replace the yoke and tighten the pinion nut fractionally past the mark you made, then reconnect the propshaft.
  • Options
    Mac,

Are there any fluids that need to be topped off or refilled while in there?

-Paul
  • Options
    It would certainly be sensible to change the diff fluid while you're at it, as you'll lose some anyway when you remove the yoke. See recent post #10902 for details.
  • Options
    Sounds good. There's always been a market for a longer version in the past (CJ6 / Scrambler). This should have been released a couple of years after the TJ first debuted. The engineering changes required to produce it are minimal and a new model is worth a hundred 'special editions' like Freedom/Apex/Columbia etc. I don't see a downside unless they get the pricing or quality control wrong. I'm looking forward to it.

:--)
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    We got a couple of inches of snow this AM just north of Seattle. This was after a couple of days of heavy winds and rain downpours that caused rivers to go over their banks. There was quite a bit of slush and gunk on the roadways during my commute to work this AM. I had ample opportunity to used the 4WD. :-) Just up the road about 60 miles in the Cascade Mtns about 14" of snow accumulated at the ski areas. I can't wait for the ski areas to open and hit the slopes.

Stephen
  • Options
    Saw that show on HGTV about the 10 winter wonderlands. Man, Whistler may be my ski destination this year, but Big Sky, Montana sure looks inviting. I'm sure there would be LOTS of opportunity to play with the TJ's 4x4 there. :)

-Paul