Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    chasingericachasingerica Member Posts: 102
    Tom: Good luck on quitting. Never smoked but have seen several people quit. My step-father swears by chewing gum (mom made him quit before she'd say yes). Someone else said it and I'll second it, stay away from bars and all for a while, they are the worst influence you can find I think.

Gman: way to go. Hope you enjoy her as much as I'm enjoying Amy. Have never looked forward to getting in and driving so much before. I'll also second the suggestion to do the work on the stereo yourself, it's easy and a lot cheaper.

Poor Amy had her first city driving test last night (I guess I did too :). The boss sent me around to check some of the other bars, we were empty, and she did well just hanging in 2nd.

Well hope you all have a good New Years.

Tony
  • Options
    I'll throw this out to everyone, I don't expect links in the reply if you have them you can send them to my e-mail in my profile.

The question is where do you suggest looking for a set of half doors for Amy? I have this feeling that they are the one thing that I'm really going to want to get for her pretty soon. I like the hard doors more then I throught but I also plan on having the soft top down a lot in the summer and like the halfs better for that (yes mostly the looks :)

Thanks for any help. I can do it through the dealer service department but that'll run me close to $2k after paint and everything.

Tony
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Do you plan to take the doors off? I LOVE to have Thelma Jane both topless and doorless in the summer.

Not suggesting that you wouldn't want to get some half doors, cause you could then put the top up and the door uppers in and be protected from the rain, but your question just made me think about going doorless.

You HAVE to try it sometime! It is SO cool to go doorless!

I don't know where you could "get a deal" on half doors. They sure are expensive through dealers or through Quadratec. Wonder if you could get some at a junkyard and how much they would cost that way?

Also, have seen Jeeps with full soft doors. Don't know how much they would cost or how useful they are. They MUST be a lot cheaper than half steel doors.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    Appreciate all the support you guys are giving me on the smoking thing. I have three more days, counting today, before the misery begins.

I hope those Commit Lozenges work as well as good as my buddy says they do!

I don't think I'll have to worry about the bar thing. I only find myself in one very rarely, like on a business trip or something. I live in a dry county, and my wife is strictly against drinking alcoholic beverages. She wouldn't even let me keep some red wine here for cholesterol control! GEEZ!

Tom

• Options
    dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    I think that is a good price. I paid closer to 4 grand for my Dana 44 and all the goodies. Just make sure you select someone that has lots of experience in setting up gears. If not done correctly they can be noisey and fail prematurely.
     I have been very happy with my set up. It's hard to bite the bullet and do all of it at one time, but actually saves you money in the long run. Plus it's nice to have some power and acceleration again.

dewars
  • Options
    See, the stress from this undertaking has already started! :)

I started to say "I hope those Commit Lozenges are as good as..." Then, I thought that sounded like I was talking about the way they taste, so I wanted to change it to "I hope those Commit Lozenges work as well as..."

Oh well, whatever.

Tom

• Options
    2003wrangler2003wrangler Member Posts: 24
    Just think how much $$ you will save from not smoking and you can redirect the $$ to mods for Thelma! You can use that as part of your incentive to quit.

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    As Tom said, have you considered soft ones? Cost about $150 for two, made by Bestop, available from Quadratech and elswhere.

• Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Do you know how they managed to start a vehicle which requires a key with a computer chip?
  • Options
    wildbl1500wildbl1500 Member Posts: 48
    Well it feels like summer has returned up here in the northeast. 40s and 50s yesterday and today.

Tom- thanks for the delayed response on the coolant question.

I think the weather always gets warmer when I am getting my snowmobile ready for the season.

I want to wish everyone a great new year! I'll be venturing in my Wrangler down to Bean-Town to see some old friends. It should be a blast!

-Bill

PS The pictures of my Jeep will be delayed, my co-worker's wife is in the hospital- no barrowing digital cameras for me.
  • Options
    dchristo1dchristo1 Member Posts: 59
    Well two hours from now I'm going in to Goodyear and have installed 31x10.5x15 MTR's on Sara. I was considering the Super Swamper TSL radials but opted for the MTR's. The next piece of hardware will be the Olympic 921-Dave's rack to lug all the family gear to LBL.

Next on the list are a good set of bumpers. I'm leaning towards Olympics but wanted to know if anybody had any good suggestions.

Tom, Good luck on the kicking the habit.I'm sure Thelma Jane will be getting quiet a work out!

David
  • Options
    I've thrown the thought of the soft doors around. I like the half metal doors just for the little more safety they offer. To get just about anywhere around here, next to the little mall on town, I have to get out on the highway. Another factor is the kid brother and sister that I drive around.

Still plenty of time to look. Need to get a full time job now :)

Tony
  • Options
    Man, I'm anxiously awaiting your trip to Turkey Bay. I guarantee you we will have a BLAST!

Those MT/Rs are a good tire choice. I run BFG Muds, but the MT/R's are at least as good, and according to lots of people, even better. They sure are a nice looking tire too.

David, some armor might be a good way to spend some money on that Jeep. I guess the bumpers would count as armor, though, huh?

A couple of very important early mods you should install are a Kilby gas tank skid and a steering box skid. The gas tank and steering box are vulnerable to damage on the trails. The steering box skid shouldn't cost more than $60 to $80, but the Kilby will be over $200. Your fuel pump can be damaged if you bang the gas tank on something, even if the tank itself is not damaged. At Turkey Bay, you often come off a steep bank and the back end kind of slams down on something. It feels good knowing that I have that Kilby back there.

Always check with Bob Supplee when you need something for your Jeep. He doesn't have a catalogue or even a website, but he has great prices and super good service. I can hook you up with his phone number and email addy, if you will email me. Bob doesn't carry everything, but what he does sell, he sells at very low prices compared to other sources, and his prices always include shipping.

I ordered a winch from Bob on a Friday afternoon and found the winch sitting on my carport the next Monday when I got home from work, three days later! I didn't ask for any expedited shipping or anything.

Tom

P.S. I don't know if you have sidesteps or not, but if you do, we really oughta take the time to take them off before we hit the trails. Those things are almost guaranteed to catch on something and not only get damaged, but also cause damage to the rocker panel of the Jeep. Have seen it happen first hand. I warned my bud that had them on his Jeep that he oughta take em off, but he took his chances, and he caught one on something. He had sheet metal damage as well as a messed up sidestep. That was at Badlands up in Attica, IN.

They make rocker guards that have built in steps, if you need sidesteps for the family. If you don't really need sidesteps, then there are rocker guards that don't have steps. That's the kind I have. Mine are Sun Performance rocker guards, and I am very pleased with them.
  • Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    BUMMER!

Terry
  • Options
    dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    I purchased my bumpers (and spare tire carrier) from Durango 4x4. I am very impressed with the strength, fit and finish, and their customer service. You can check them out at durango4x4.com

dewars
  • Options
    drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Wow, there sure has been a lot of posting goin' on! Go away for a while and have some 60 or so posts to catch up on...

Tom, good luck on quitting. You can do it, just try and occupy your mind with something that you enjoy - like Thelma Jane!

Gman - congrats and d'oh! That sucks, hopefully one of these new dealers will have something.

Bama - congrats. I did a bit of consulting work and enjoyed being self-employed (particularly about setting my own hours, etc, etc)... but these days I'm like mtngal, just a tiny cog in a less than well oiled machine.

On my end... agony. My baby is in Edmonton... but given the short week ahead I am unlikely to see her before early next week (has to transfer rail yards, and then hitch a ride to the dealership)!!! So close, yet so far....

Andrew
  • Options
    Man, that sucks!

You know what, though? Usually things work out for the best, so maybe you are gonna end up with a Jeep even CLOSER to what you were looking for.

Just hang in there, Gman! We are all in this with ya, and we are rootin' for ya.

Tom

• Options
    Thanks, and you are right on the money. I WILL be keeping track of how much I save, and I can apply that money to mods.

I guess the Commit Lozenges will at first offset any money I save on cigs, but it will be money well spent, if those things help me.

Figured out a way to keep your Jeep as part of your new family? Bet the kids love the Jeep, right?

Tom

• Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Thanx all for the "good lucks"
    im really not sure what im getting into. But i cant see myself having a BOSS again. We have some plans laid out to make the busines move forward. We had a new vendor come in today, he had a X model. I told him whaever your selling I'll take it.
      To any of my JEEP buds, lunch is on me.
    GMAN.. hold in there man.

Keep Jeppin
     Happy New YEAR!
      BAMA
  • Options
    Some of my regular wheelin' Buds and I are gonna have a day of wheelin' at Turkey Bay on New Years Day. Now, that's what I call starting off he new year the right way!

Of course, the Old Tomster will have a Commit Lozenge in his mouth the whole day. Geez, wonder if I get in a precarious situation if I will swallow my lozenge? Maybe I SHOULD see if it comes in suppository form?? Then, if I get in a scary situation, it would be held firmly in place! :)

Tom

• Options
    That sucks. Sorry to hear about that, but maybe like Tom said you'll end up with something closer to what you wanted. I'm sure it will work out for the best.

Tony
  • Options
    Keep your chin up, old man! This is all gonna work out, and you are gonna be driving around in a brand new Jeep soon!

Tom

• Options
    One couple here in Canada bought a Ford 350 ($55K CAD), and then got a call from the dealer that they won their vehicle and don't have to pay. They spent a day being very happy, and the next day the dealer called and said "sorry, we made a mistake, you haven't won anything, please continue with your monthly payments."
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I know what you are talking about. I need SOMETHING to stick in my mouth to kind of chew on, like a straw or tootpick or something. This stupid habit has a physical aspect as well as the addiction to nicotine.

I appreciate all the support my Jeep Buds here are giving me. It will just add to my incentive to stick with it, knowing that I have you guys rooting for me, and knowing that I will be letting you down if I wuss out.

Tom

• Options
    Hey, have you guys checked out my website about Turkey Bay? I haven't posted about it in a while, and we probably have some new folks since then.

Even if you have been there, I have added some stuff in the last couple days, so you probably haven't seen everything.

If anyone is interested in getting into wheelin', I have created a page with some advice for newbies that might help ya.

Be prepared for the pages to load real slowly, if you are on dial up. I have lots of pics, and I uploaded them in high quality, so the file sizes are large. I think you will consider it worth the wait, since the pics will look good when you click on them and enlarge them to full size.

Take a look and give me some feedback. Make suggestions, whatever.

I am using some trellix software to create this site, since I don't know all the code that you have to use in order to make a page from scratch. I'm on earthlink, and they have a website builder program, trellix, that their subscribers can use.

Here's the link...

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom

• Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Once you've passed the point where your body no longer requires nicotine, which is a relatively short period, it's not the time to relax. The situations that triggered your need for a cigarette, maybe after a meal or with a drink, will continue to affect you long after you quit. In thirty years time you'll be able to visualize the motions of opening a pack, extracting a smoke, lighting it and inhaling deeply, all as if it were last week. The big difference is that thinking about it won't leave you with an ache inside. However, you'll always have the imprint of the physical actions that you took to have a smoke.

Be aware that stopping smoking does not make you a non-smoker. You will be a smoker who no longer smokes. There is a subtle difference. Rather like an alcoholic who no longer drinks, but they'll always be an alcoholic.

I don't say all this to depress you, just to help you be positively aware. If you always think of yourself in this way you'll be far less likely to have "just this one" in times of stress.
  • Options
    Thanks! I like that analogy between the smoker and the alcoholic. I had never really thought of it that way, but thinking back on my past attempts to quit smoking, I can see the truth in it. Well, I have never had a drinking problem, so I don't know that side of the equation from personal experience, but what you said makes sense.

I guess I was always disappointed that I didn't completely lose the urge to smoke. Of course, I never got past 30 days anyway. Knowing ahead of time that there will ALWAYS be moments of strong desire for a smoke will keep me from being disappointed and frustrated when those urges still show up, so maybe I can just accept these as part of the new life.

Thanks again, Mac and all of you.

Tom

• Options
    No, it was not a joke. The dealer made them sign two papers by mistake, instead of one paper. The first paper gave them an instant $500 discount, and the second paper entered them into "win your vehicle" contest. But you can't have it both ways, so that's why they were told a mistake was made by the dealer, who actually told them to sign both papers. The second paper won them their vehicle, but then Ford checked their records and saw them already getting a $500 discount, so they took the bigger prize away
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Just got back from Mammoth Mtn. Snowed on Christmas and the day after. They have a 6-8 foot base now I think. Saw lots of tire chains. Didn't put any on my Grand Cherokee and didn't spin the tires once (unintentionally :) ).

Saw several Wranglers with 2-3 feet of snow on their rooves. :) It has been so cold up there the snow is the perfect powder. Funny watching these blocks of snow driving around.

Skiing could not have been better! Fresh powder every day, over waist deep in some areas.

Glad to see everybody still here.

Tom, best of luck with the quitting - it'll be tough, but you can do it. Just don't give in.

To gman, if you are having problems with the dealer finding another Wrangler, insist on them ordering one for you at the 500 off instead of the 300 off, since it got botched. They need to make it right and you can order what you want. Since you will want a few more things, their bottom line will be better any way.

-Paul
  • Options
    Tom,

Sorry for the delay in responding. The Goodyear dealer put on the MTR's and boy what a change... for the better.I kept the stock Shara Rims on and it actually looks really good.

Thanks for the tips on the Skid plates I am going to get those on order. I also have heard from other Jeepers that the side steps on the Sahara have to go. Probably will put on some Olympics that act as skids and side steps.Ordered today the Raingler products nets to protect the young-uns from falling out or being whipped by a branch.So the last things(at least for now) is the Olympic Bumpers and Dave's rack which I'm going to pick up from JC Whitney(about an hour and a half drive)in the next couple of days.

Once all this is on I'll post some before and after pictures.

I just can't stop smiling...........

David

PS we should all hook up and take a cruise to Bama's... BBQ and some sweet tea sounds good about now.
  • Options
    Good deal! Man, you are gettin' that Jeep ready for Turkey Bay!

I'm really lookin' forward to our hooking up for some wheelin'!

yeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

Tom

• Options
    Thanks for the lead on the Durango bumpers. They look really strong.

I really like the way the tire carrier is engineered. Has even a grease fitting!

Thanks again,

David
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Congrats on the MTRs. I will be replacing my 30" tires with 31" MTRs on the stock Canyon rims when it comes time to replace. Any rubbing issues?

As a side note, we're expecting 3 to 4 inches of snow in the next 24 hours. It's been around freezing all day and down to the low teens last night.

Waiting for Snow in Seattle,
    Stephen
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Congrats gman on the new Jeep. Sounds like we're driving very similar Wranglers, and I couldn't be happier with mine. Have fun.

I too was surprised at the limited stock of some SoCal Jeep dealers. A few places had a long list of Wranglers, but all alike. "Yes, we have 25 X models, all red and khaki with the automatic tranny."

(No offense meant if anyone is driving a red and khaki X with the auto tranny.)

-Mike
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    So, I noticed my shifter knob is out of whack. The gear diagram (1-2-3-4-5-R) is turned almost 90 degrees to the right. I don't recall it being that way when I first got her. Seems like it's pretty set; any way to correct it?

-Mike
  • Options
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!!

I TOLD you it would all work out!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Man, I sure hope it doesn't take ya long to get some pics developed and scanned.

Glen, who does your developing? I use photoworks.com out of Seattle for my 35 MM film processing. They scan your pics for ya and store them on their website. You can email the pics to people right from their website. I just love their service, but I shoot almost exclusively with my digi camera now. I have had them print some of my digi pics for me. They do a great job.

Now, I guess they told ya, but you need to get one or the other of those tops off of your Jeep. They ship with both tops on the Jeep, but that is for shipping purposes only.

Once again, CONGRATS!

Tom

• Options
    I'll have to check out Thelma Jane's shift pattern thing. I don't think hers is twisted like that, but maybe I can tell something about it when I go out there afterwhile.

If it got twisted, I'm sure it can be twisted back. I can't remember how Thelma's is, but often the shift pattern emblem is just an insert that can be pushed down on and turned back to its original position. Something tells me that ours on our Jeeps are not like that, though. The whole knob might have to be turned.

Tom

• Options
    The MTR's have not rubbed so far(haven't been off road yet) but they sure do fill up the wheel wells! The size is 31x10.5x15 on stock 15x7 rims. I noticed that the ride seems much firmer and dare I say quieter than the GSA's that were on before.
    I'm thinking about adding a 2" lift down the road to ensure that I don't rip apart my fenders while off roading.

David
  • Options
    thelthel Member Posts: 767
    I think that the QRangler is a neat vehicle with the 4WD and the convertible top and all, but I don't know much about them. My current car is a Mazda Miata and a Toyota Matrix. They complement each other well....as long as I stay on the road and the wife keeps bringing home pay checks to complement mine if you know what I mean.

Some questions I have are:

1. How does the top go down. I can lower and raise the top in my Miata in less than 5 seconds while still in the driver's seat. I know the Wrangler is more....complicated but how much so? Are there a bunch of snaps and / or zippers to mess with?

2. I know that in 97 the Wrangler's interior was updated significantly. How much shoudl I expect to pay to get into a 97/98 Wrangler sport in good condition?

I've been lurking about for awhile but I thought I'd post now to get some more specific info. Tsjay seems very helpful in particular. I apologize in advance for any extremely ignorant questions I may have in the future. I'm not ready to buy in the very near future...I need to educate myself first.

Thanks in advance for any input!
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    my shifter did that when new too. I guess mine wasnt' very tight and my excitement over driving it made it tighten up a bit! Make sure the know is as tight as you can get it with your hands and then you'll have to pry out the cap from the rubber knob. Try using with a dull blade (I used an old worn down standard screwdriver). The plug with the pattern on it has a rim that you can't see until you pry it out. You'll have to getaround and up under that to get it to pop free. I just about rammed a screwdriver through my hand doing mine, so be careful and worst case, make the dealer do it!

Enjoy the Jeep and keep us posted!

-twylie
  • Options
    nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    I remember that happened on my old YJ. I just left it. I knew where the gears were so I didn't need to follow the diagram :-)
  • Options
    David:

What type of wheels do you have? I don't know what they were putting on the 99 Saharas. Are they the "Grizzly" wheels? You said they were 15 x 7's.

My bud at work has a 97 Sport with the Grizzly wheels, and he is able to "wheel" his Jeep with the front sway bar disconnected and get just very minor rubbing; not enough to hurt anything.

You should be even better off, since the flares are wider on Saharas. Your tires will tuck inside the flares just that much better.

I think I remember your saying that this is your first Jeep after MANY years of wanting one? So, maybe you don't know what I mean by disconnecting the front sway bar? Do ya?

Sorry, if you already know what I am talking about, but maybe someone else who doesn't know about it will read this.

There's a real nice advantage to be gained by disconnecting the fron sway bar on a TJ when you go off road. You gain a lot of axle travel, or "flex," by disconnecting the sway bar. This helps you keep your front tires on the ground as you go through tough spots that would otherwise cause one of your front tires to be lifted into the air. With an open front differential (no locker), as soon as one tire is off the ground, you get no more pulling power from the front wheels... it's like you were in two wheel drive, with the back doing all the work. This is why it is important to keep both front tires on the ground as much as possible.

It's a simple job to disconnect and to reconnect the sway bar. You need a size T55 torx socket or wrench, and an 18 MM wrench. There's a connection on the drivers side and one on the passengers side that has to be disco'd.

That round bar that you see just behind the front bumper is your sway bar. It has links that go from either end down to the axle on each side. The whole thing with the links and all is shaped like a U. You disconnect the links down at the axle on each side, rotate the whole thing upwards so that the loose ends can be zip tied out of the way at the base of the spring mount at the frame, and you are good to go. There's a real convenient little gap between the frame and the sping mount that can be used to run a zip tie through to secure the sway bar link out of the way.

It is MUCH easier to disconnect and reconnect sway bars when the Jeep is sitting dead level, so that there is no stress on the sway bar.

The purpose of the sway bar is to minimize body lean in corners on the highway. It does no harm to the Jeep to disconnect the sway bar when you are wheelin', but it is STRONGLY recommended by most people that you reconnect the sway bar for highway driving. In an emergency swerve to avoid hitting something, the Jeep will lean MUCH more with the sway bar disco'd, and you could lose control.

Tom

• Options
    The tops on the Wrangler - there are two.

The hard top can be lifted off with a couple of people. The soft top can be pulled down, but not from the driver's seat. The rear 3 windows should be taken out, then you have to remove the top from some 'channels' on each side above the doors. Then you can remove the latches and flip it back. It is more complicated than your Miata, but it is a different market entirely.

The great thing about the Wrangler tops that a Miata can't touch is that you can put bikini tops on (either covering just the front or front and rear) and have the sides wide open (even have the doors off). Nothing like driving wide open like that. The Miata can't touch it, especially offroad. Driving down tree-lined trails or through the desert with nothing between you and the trees going by - it's great!

As for a 97/98, I'd opt for a 99 or later. 97/98 had known issues with exhaust systems that may or may not be fixed when you get it. I bought a used 97 and love it, but wish I didn't have to fork over the change to fix the catalytic and the exhaust manifold.

A sport model is probably the way to go - you get the biger 4.0L engine and have stronger axle options - the better for playing. :) Just ask tsjay!

-Paul
  • Options
    Tom,

Could you post a few pics on your site showing what and where you disconnect the sway bars?

I'd like to try that sometime. If it worked, I'd consider a quick disconnect kit from someplace like DPGoffroad.

-Paul
  • Options
    Sure thing. Will get that little job done today.

Tom

• Options
    Try working at a federal installation... :)

-Paul
  • Options
    WELCOME!

Glad ya posted!

Think you already got a real good answer to your top question. I have no experience with a soft top on a Jeep of my own (Thelma Jane has the hard top only), but I have watched and helped my bud take his top down, and it's not that big of a deal.

Even with a hard top, it's not THAT big of a deal to take off or put on, but it does require two people. The hard top is awkward to handle and is very heavy. It's not a job you would want to do every day.

WHAT PAUL SAID ABOUT DOORLESS! The coolest thing in the world is driving a Jeep topless and doorless on a nice day!

Thel, just read, read, read. I think there are posts in here on just about every aspect of Jeep ownership. Glad to answer questions, and you KNOW that, but, hey, the right question might not occur to you. You may find something in the posts that you would have never thought to ask.

The search feature works pretty good too, so make use of that.

Whatever questions you have... ask away!

We're always glad to have new folks show up here and become part of the family. Stick with us!

Check out my website, and maybe you will find something useful in there.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom

• Options
    drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Congrats on the purchase - sounds damn sweet! The silver looks good, and hides scratches and dirt very well (or so I am told!).

Andrew
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nope.

Maybe it's just me :-)

"Due to abuse, you can no longer display Webshots images on other websites. You can only view Webshots images from Webshots pages and within the Webshots software. Alternatively, you can post a link to the page that contains the image you'd like to display." Webshots FAQ

Steve, Host
  • Options
    The rims are the same ones that are shown in the photos on Edmunds under used 99 Sahara.Don't know if there called Grizzly's. As far as the disconnects go I've seen them in JP magazine and had a vague idea of how they worked until you explained it quite well in your previous post.

You also mentioned the gas tank skid plate from Kilby. Did you install that yourself?I looked on a couple sites that showed the installation and it looked anything but easy. Depressurizing the fuel system...Yikes!

The steering gear box skid seemed easy enough.

David