Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    does that other cutie in your picture go wheel'n with you?

jeff
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    I wouldn't be overly worried about the Sentry key. It's a great option, and we have it on our Grand Cherokee, but I didn't get it on my Rubicon. I don't think Wrangler's are anywhere near the top most stolen vehicles...at least where I live. The mirror you can add on, but the factory one comes with some very nice LED maplights that the passenger can actually use while you're driving down the road at night, as well as the compass and temp read out. I love it, and can't imagine not having it.
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    you might check the prongs in the connection, and make sure that none of them are bent over if it's been plugged in backwards.

jeff

i've done that on a different plug / connection.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Congratulations, Tom. Hank looks and sounds like a great dog. We're still looking for a pup to replace JD, who we recently lost after nearly seventeen happy years. As one of my friends likes to say, "Puppies have a wonderful way of absorbing grief."
  • Options
    durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I think, Mt. Pinos is the only X-country trail good enough in Southern California, Green Valley Lake is a distant second. Mt. Jacinto on the Palm Springs tramway is too icy.
    I decided the Thule was not practical enough, due to no load carrying capacity. I returned it to REI today. I solved the Jeep TJ ski carrying problem, I got rid of my 180cm straight ski which was 12 years old. And bought a high end set of All terrain alpine skiis, parabolic design etc, it is shorter , only 160cm, fits inside easy, and will be transported inside a ski bag. Last X-country I did was last winter in South Lake Tahoe, so I will be taking the whole family in our Honda Pilot EX-L there next time again. Also Moreno Valley is 75 miles from downtown LA, 55 miles from MT. High ski, 55 miles from Snow Valley and 75 miles from Big Bear city.
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I don't think Wrangler's are anywhere near the top most stolen vehicles...at least where I live.

Possibly due to the effectiveness of the Sentry Key system? :shades:
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Wow! Talk about blast from the past! :)

My TJ did not come with any fog lamp wiring at all (I have an SE). I used the PIF wiring guide and wired it that way. I can't recall where each one specifically went, but I have them wired independently of the head lights, so no issues there. My switch is attached to my panel below the steering wheel, just above the screw holding the panel on.

On my list of things I want to do is clean up my wiring a bit. I have everything working, but want to wire things a bit better. Perhaps a fusebox will be added just for the aftermarket stuff I've done.

I followed the IPF light installation guide on www.dpgoffroad.com (in their Technical section).

-Paul
  • Options
    06tj4banger06tj4banger Member Posts: 39
    Tom, Congratulations on your new companion! I am glad you got him from a shelter...I volunteer almost every Sunday at the Lexington Humane Society and it's sad to see all those animals without homes :(

-Rob
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Hi, folks!

Could someone please tell me the max length inside the Unlimited, if you pull the front seats all the way forward? What would be the internal length, counting from the back of the front seats to the closed tailgate?

Thank you!
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Rob:

That is so good of you to donate your time to such a worthy cause! I don't think I would have the strength to do what you do.

I went to the dog pound in the town where I work about three weeks ago to check out some puppies, and I broke down and cried as I walked up and down the center aisle. There were kennels on either side with poor dogs who were almost certainly doomed to be euthanized. The sad look in their eyes made me think that they knew their fate.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    njbamadogznjbamadogz Member Posts: 26
    Tom:

Congrats on your new buddy! I wish you years of happiness! I lost my soul-dog, Alabama, last March, and it still hurts like I lost her just yesterday.

I am actively involved in animal rescue and yes, it can be overwhelming to go into a shelter and see all the runs filled with homeless dogs. But I tell myself to focus on "one dog at a time" -- and rescuing one dog at a time also helps me keep Bama's memory alive.

Just like it says in the "Starfish" story, you cannot save them all, but you can try your best, and it certainly makes a difference to the ones you do help. Helping one dog at a time certainly changes their world!
  • Options
    bama:

Oh, yes! There is one little puppy who is going to have a fantastic life, Good Lord willing. I am sorry for all of those who will not be as fortunate.

I love that Starfish story that you referred to. Some of the folks here might not have heard it, so I will tell it.

A storm had washed thousands of starfish up on the beach, and they lay there drying out in the sun and dying. A little boy was picking them up one at a time and tossing them back into the water to save them.

A man came along and laughed at the little boy, saying, "Son, you are not doing any good. Look, there are thousands of them."

The little boy held up the one that he was about to throw into the water and said, "Mister, I'm doing THIS ONE some good."

Tom
  • Options
    Tom,

It's tough sometimes especially when injured/abused animals come in but I figure shedding a few tears isn't much compared to what they go through. We seem to have had alot of returns lately which is not good since some of their temperments change when going back through main kennel and eventually they become unadoptable and are euthanized :( It's a shame that some people don't see them for what God created them to be...human companions. I was going to ask you something offroad related...how would you rate the trails down your way (Turkey Bay wasn't it?)

-Rob
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss too! Glad to hear that you are involved with animals also :D Hopefully our new reduced price spay/neuter program will help. Also, we had ground breaking on a new shelter to be built...probably double the kennel space we have now.

-Rob
  • Options
    Rob, the trails at TB can be anywhere from basic dirt trails (main roads) to some pretty rutted uphill/downhill runs.

There is a lot of opportunity for off-camber stuff in both the flat and inclined areas.

Runs like BP Gulch and Dogleg will really test your abilities, but there are also runs like Bronco Gulley that are just fun to do, cuz you can. A good portion of the trails are very tight, barely the width of a Jeep.

All the tough stuff has bypasses so you can avoid the tougher stuff. Tom can give a much more detailed summary of them, as he knows that place back and forth. He has a lot of pictures available too.

-Paul
  • Options
    Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like some of the trails at Slade. You can't leave there without trail scratches!

-Rob
  • Options
    They are trail pinstripes. :)

I was worried about em until my wife joined me back in October for Tom's memorial run for Ross Allen. She doesn't mind the striping now and realizes the Jeep is my toy. :)

Now I just need to order my new parts! :)

You should come join us sometime!

-Paul
  • Options
    Paul did a pretty good job describing what Turkey Bay is like.

Turkey Bay is all hils and hollows. There are trails along just about every ridge and along the bottom of just about every hollow. There are steep trails connecting the ridgetop trail to the trail down in the hollow.

It's a great place for newbies and for those looking for moderate difficulty. Two things we don't have are rock crawling and mudding. About the only good place to play in the mud was made off limits, so except for an occasional mud hole on your way from point A to point B, there is no mudding any more. I didn't do mud anyway. I hate it.

Take a look at my Turkey Bay website.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom
  • Options
    While there isn't a designated crawling area, TB does have some rock obstacles that you have to overcome (though there ARE bypasses for them too). So you can get a chance to do some rock. :)

I don't like the mud either! But then again, I'm running BFG AT's not MT's. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    peter_lpeter_l Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Wrangler Sahara with aluminum wheels and antilock brakes. The vehicle came with Michelin P22570R16 mud-snow tires. At the time that I bought my Wrangler, it wasn't possible to get On-Off Road tires with antilock brakes. I believe the saleman said he combination of the two could cause problems in certain circumstances.

I'm about to get new tires for my Wrangler and recently checked with both Jeep and my dealer's service department. Jeep said to check with my dealer. The dealer said there wasn't any reason not to get the OOR tires, but recommended that I don't go any bigger than the current size.

I would like to get the OOR tires, but still feel a little uncomfortable about it. I would appreciate any advice that anyome might have.

Thank for your help.

Peter
  • Options
    Peter:

Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler.

I hope Mac will chime in here, but I believe oversize tires can be a problem with anti-lock brakes, but I can't imagine how the tread pattern could matter.

Tom
  • Options
    I am going to have to hook up with you guy's someday and go down there...great pic's...especially the one with the dog looking out the back of the stuck Jeep :D

-Rob
  • Options

This dog? :)
  • Options
    I believe the saleman said he combination of the two could cause problems in certain circumstances.

It's rare to find a salesman with any technical knowledge of the vehicle he's selling. Even rarer to find one that'll say "I don't know", rather than spout something that makes him sound knowlegable. ;)

The relatively simple ABS system on the Wrangler just has to look at any difference in wheel speed while braking. It's completely unconcerned about the size of the tires, the type of tread on them, or whether or not they have solid or outline white lettering!

The only thing that can affect it's operation would be to have tires of different sizes (which would obviously rotate at different speeds). It's therefore possible that having tires of the same nominal size, but of differing styles or manufacturers, could cause ABS problems as the tires may wear at different rates. A similar situation could also arise if you have to use an unworn spare to replace a heavily worn tire, which is another good reason to always do a five tire rotation.
  • Options
    leslie8leslie8 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2003 jeep wrangler that needs new tires. I do a lot of city driving, but I also tow a trailer and do some 4-wheeling. Right now I have the factory tires on, they're Goodyear P215/75R15. I'm wondering if these are the best tires for what I do or if there are other viable options? Thanks for your help! leslie :)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We're asking members to keep picture sizes down to about 100 kB - for reference.

Thanks.

tidester, host
  • Options
    There are numerous choices available, but one popular option I can recommend from personal experience is the BF Goodrich AT KO. Normally just referred to as the BFG AT, the AT stands for 'all terrain'. They work well on all surfaces both on and off road, except for mud. If your four wheeling is going to be heavily mud oriented then consider the BFG MT (mud terrain).

With correct rotation and balancing you can expect 40-50 thousand miles from the ATs. Maximum, and seemingly most popular, size which you can fit without any modifications except maybe adjustment of the steering stops, is 31"x10.5"x15".
  • Options
    peter_lpeter_l Member Posts: 2
    Dear Tom & Mac,

Thank you for the tire information. I currently have P22570R16 tires (including a spare that hasn't been used). The tires I'm thinking of getting (Courser AT's) come in a P23570R16 size. My question is, if I get a flat with the new tires and put on the spare, what type of problems can it cause with the ABS (assuming that I don't drive more than 100 miles on the spare).

Thanks for your help.

Peter
  • Options
    durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Since your original tire is 215/75/15. That means you have the 3.07 axle ratio if 6 cyl. or 4.15? if I-4 cylinder. The maximum tire sizes you can go , without your vehicle performance being affected (acceleration etc.) would be
    30 x 9.50 x 15. I really would like 31 inch tires but my axle ratio will not allow good performance. As for the best all around all terrain tire, it would be the Bridgestone Dueler REVO. The lowest noise level, best handling, and competitive off-road performance compared to other tires. Also if you just go one size larger to 225/75/15, you can retain your all of your trailer towing and off-road capability.
  • Options
    Yes! That picture is hilarious :D
  • Options
    Paul,

I have seen some people take on serious rocks and mud with those BFG AT KO's...they are the most impressive AT I have ever seen.

-Rob
  • Options
    Oh I know they are great tires - I used em quite well out in California. But since I'm out here now and wheel with Tom, I am finding they are just not clearing the mud (usually packed with leaves too) like the MT's can.

Kentucky soil can be pretty dusty/sandy and that stuff mixes in with the existing mud to almost make and adobe-like mud that can be a real pain in the backside to get out of the tires!

-Paul
  • Options
    wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    I have been looking for a way to store loose items in my LJ without the expense or permanence of a Tuffy box. I found a moulded plastic box at Lowe's Home Improvement--a Contico SUV Storage box--for $25. I also bought 5' of coated 1/8" steel cable, 4 swage-type connectors and a dog leash snap. I secured the box as follows:

- Cut the cable into two equal lengths
    - Created a small loop in one end of the cables using the swage connectors
    - looped one through the footman loop on each side of the cargo area at the base of the rear seat
    - drilled an oblong hole (two 3/8" overlapping holes) near the bottom of the box on each side.
    - routed the cable ends into the box, measured and marked them at a length that nearly met in the center of the box interior.
    - removed the box
    - created another loop on each end of the cables using the remaining swage connectors
    - placed the box back in the jeep and routed the new cables/loops thru the holes
    - used the dog leash snap to connect the loops inside the box.
    - put a pair of padlocks on the outside of box.

Photo of box installed. The Hi-Lift jack just happens to be laying on top of the box. I was thinking of mounting it there, but I don't think it would be sucure enough in a bad crash.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Photo of cables connected inside the box:

A couple of notes: this set-up is nowhere near as secure as a Tuffy box, but I hope it will discourage the "casual thief". This box may fit in a standard wheelbase TJ with the rear seat in place; I'm not sure. Comments, suggestions?

Mark">
  • Options
    Looks good. I went a step further for a semi-permanent solution. I built a trunk for my Jeep. Covers side to side above the wheel wells, has a front panel behind the front seats, and is made of 3/4" plywood with 2x4 backing (probably overkill).

I can sit on it, store stuff on top, and lock my valuables in there when I close and lock the tailgate. Is it theft-proof. Nope, not at all. Can it be broken into? Yes, but it gonna take some work - as the pieces secure to the seat mounts for the back seat with turnbuckles. :)

In the summer, I run with the duster covering it, so it is even less obtrusive.

trunk cover

cover with hatch open - turnbuckles visible

If I did it over again, I'd probably go with a thinner metal version just for a cleaner look. I may cover it with the outdoor carpeting from Lowe's or Home Depot - right now it has some roll on herculiner stuff on it and painted black underneath.

-Paul
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I've got 30" BFG A/Ts on my ABS-equipped 98 Sport and have never had any problem. ABS has also saved my hide before on snow-covered mountain roads. I've got the 3.73 rear axle gearing with the limited-slip.
  • Options
    Over the Thanksgiving holiday I replaced the factory head unit/6 disc changer with an aftermarket Pioneer stereo and installed 6.5" speakers in the pods. I ordered the stereo from Crutchfield and they supplied the necessary trim ring and wiring harness adapter. Installation took less than an hour and required a screwdriver, torx bit, soldering iron, heat shrink and heat gun. Alternatively, you could use a crimping tool and crimp-style connectors, but I prefer a soldered, heat shrinked connection. Photo of completed installation:

Please note the Roady 2 XM satelite unit mounted below the head unit. It is mounted on a swivel with pressure sensitive, two sided tape with power and antenna wires concealed--a very clean appearance. I intend to remove it now and replace with an adapter that will allow control from the head unit.

Details on speaker replacement to follow in a seperate post which will hopefully aid with searches later.

Mark
  • Options
    That's really nice Paul. I really wanted something that I could remove easily. I have a couple of hundred dollars worth of recovery gear, etc. in there and would like to jerk it out if I will be parking in a vulnerable area or if I need all of the space for something else. I have two small children and we travel a good bit, so I need the cargo area for luggage and toddler fodder. Otherwise, I think I would have gone the route that you did for the area behind the back seat.

Mark
  • Options
    That box is good quality and excellent value. I also got one from Lowe's but use mine in the H1, where it fits snugly between the rear seats (which are a long way apart) as though it was designed to be there. In fact, several people have asked if it's a factory option.
  • Options
    The maximum tire sizes you can go , without your vehicle performance being affected (acceleration etc.) would be 30 x 9.50 x 15.

Actually any change in tire size will affect acceleration, but because of its lower power output the I4 is affected more noticably than the I6.

Mine's an I6 auto and the effect is truly negligable, even when towing a 3000+lb trailer.
  • Options
    That looks nice! :) Your install looks VERY clean and defintely well thought out.

I went the Alpine route with the XM receiver up around the glovebox. My other vehicles have satellite radio already, so I wasn't concerned about portability. I have full XM control from the head unit (CDA-9827). It also controls my iPod which I store in the glovebox when I'm in the car.

I'm fortunate that I don't need the rear seat often so it worked for me. Glad you found a solution that worked for you. You might even be able to get a cover that would attach across the back seat to make the box even harder to get to...

-Paul
  • Options
    drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Paul,
    I'd really be interested in any pics you have of this. I'm an Alpine fan myself (had one in two past vehicles, and loved them both). I really like the bezel version that wpowell has above. It looks much better than the Ford adapter bezel I had last time (which kept breaking, but whadya want for $15?) I also really like the idea of XM, as here in KC they've decided that all we want to listen to is Def Leppard. All day, on every station but AM talk. I'm only exaggerating a little.
    Anyway, I've put Infinity's in the front with the 33 Engineering adapters, using polyfill. BIG improvement. Can't wait to see more detail about your speaker solutions, as I'm getting ready to do the pods and some sort of sub as well as the head unit. Knowing me, I'll be too terrified to take the hard top off again after all this...
  • Options
    My setup (no pics of everything)...

Alpine CDA-9827
    XM receiver running into AiNet of Alpine stored in glovebox
    Apple iPod in glovebox
    MBQuart 5.25" in dash (with enclosures)
    Kicker 6x9's in soundbar (soundbar from edgeauto.com)
    Kicker 4 channel amp running front/rear speakers
    Alpine single channel amp running Kicker 8" sub in Tuffy security console (with sub enclosure)

My XM antenna is installed in my soundbar, invisible to the casual user.

Here are a few pics...

I don't have pics of the new stereo or the XM stuff yet. The amp pics were before everything went through final securing.

-Paul
  • Options
    As mentioned in a previous post I just replaced my overhead factory 5.25" speakers with Alpine 6.5" along with the replacement of my factory head unit. Going from 5.25's to 6.5's requires a little modification/fabrication, but I think it was well worth the effort. Would suggest that you visit a stereo store with a good demo setup (e.g. BestBuy, Circuit City) and listen to both to decide whether you should stick with 5.25's. One big advantage to the 5.25's is that you could retain the factory grills thereby avoiding the attention of thiefs, but I couldn't pass up the dramatic improvement in sound quality. Steps involved:

- lower or remove top
    - remove pods with torx bit; two screws, one modular electrical plug
    - remove factory POS speakers and smash them to bits with a heavy object
    - remove dome lights
    - spray the interior of the plastic pods with rubberized undercoating (or spray bedliner). Multiple coats is best; drys slowly so plan to leave it overnight probably. Its important to plan for this because you will have to have the top down/off to reinstall and I didn't want to do that twice.
    - test fit the 6.5's to the pods to get an idea of how they fit. Assuming they are close in diameter to my Alpine's--and they should be identical--they should almost fit in the factory recess, but not quite.
    - cut a pair of "rings" from 1/2" sheet material. MDF would be ideal, but I used scrap plywood that I had on hand. These rings should be fit snugly inside the recessed area of the pod and be about 3/8" wide. This step will make more sense after you test fit the speakers. Photo below.
    - Use adhesive caulk or construction adhesive to bond the rings inside the pod recess and allow to dry. In hindsight I would have cut the rings, then sprayed the interior of the pods, then glued the rings in place so everything could be drying at the same time.
    - fill the pods with "polyfill", which is pillow stuffing found in the craft section of WalMart, etc.
    - Test fit the new speakers once again with the grills in place and mark the new mounting hole locations. Mine were right at the joint between the ring and the edge of the pod. Be sure to orient and align the grills the way you want the finished product to look.
    - drill pilot holes of the appropriate size
    - Screw the speakers and grills to the pods
    - remove factory plugs, strip wires and solder to new speakers (or install crimp-style plugs to fit speaker tabs
    - reinstall dome lights
    - reinstall pods
    - test

Photo of "rings" in pods before the clear adhesive dried:

Hope this is helpful. Next up: I am replacing the factory dash 4x6's with Alpine 5.25's using an adapter ring readily available on eBay and replacing the factory 6" console sub with an 8" JL Audio and external amp. Will provide details if anyone has an interest.

Mark
  • Options
    drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    - remove factory POS speakers and smash them to bits with a heavy object LOL!!!!!!

Thanks for the details. I need to do the pods next. I didn't get the factory sub, though the factory console has the hole for it. I just need to get my pod speakers ready to match the fronts. I think I'll give up on my iPod wiring for the factory head unit and just get an Alpine with an input. Your installation details are great. Thanks a bunch. I'm probably going to bug you again when I get ready for sub...
    Drew
  • Options
    For anyone interested, the 65th Anniversary Edition has a Job #1 of 2/6/06 with a final build date of 4/28/06. It'll be pretty much the same as the 60th, i.e. Sahara spec, and the colors will be Silverstone Metallic or Black.

Also, production has been put on hold for any Wranglers with Sirius and ABS (RSB+BGK).
  • Options
    Does anyone have any pic's of their CB setup? Trying to decide where would be the best place to mount it. Also, any recommendations on a model that's relatively easy to install would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance!

-Rob
  • Options
    Drewmeister,

RE: sub, I have kicked around the idea of an MDF box built into the bottom of the rear seat, but I have two kids and I actually need the back seat to be reasonably comfortable once they are out of cars seats. My plan right now is to pull the factory console (w/sub) and then decide whether to fiberglass the sub compartment to add rigidity or build an MDF enclosure that would fit within the console. If anyone has an opinion on this it would be appreciated. I don't want to go the Tuffy console route because it would 1) be more costly, and 2) I don't think it looks as nice as the factory plastic thing (personal preference, no offense to you Tuffy console owners/fans). Either way, I am hell bent on getting at least an 8" sub in there vs. the factory POS 6.5". Has anyone tried to mount an amp on the firewall under the dash? Maybe behind the glove compartment?

Mark
  • Options
    karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ... I love my Unlimited, but was fairly shocked at my first drive in about 1" of snow-covered roads here in Chicago.

Long story short: On about a 10 degree incline, my Jeep tires would spin and back-end fishtail at the slightest touch on the gas. Had to put it in 4WD just to get up the measley hill. Never had to do this in my RWD SUV. First turn at about 15mph, turn tires right, Jeep keeps going straight, I hit the curb. Back up, straighten out, get to my second turn, go even slower, Jeep still goes straight as wheel are fully turned left. Hit brakes expecting ABS-pumping, oops, don't have that, hit another curb.

Is this how the Jeep drives in snow?! It was downright scary. I'm so hoping it's because of the stock GSAs I have on my Jeep....
  • Options
    make all the difference. Lose the GSA's!

-Paul
  • Options
    Ah hah! ANOTHER meaning for GSA!

I knew GSA stood for Get Stuck Anywhere, but there is a double meaning, it appears...

Go Sliding Anywhere.

Tom