Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Drew:

I don't disagree that something is wrong with the design and/or function of the tranny. It would be very aggravating to drive a vehicle behaving like yours does.

Maybe you can just use the OD lockout as a way to get around the problem until it is fixed (if it can be fixed).

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Perhaps it's a 'design feature', not a bug. Just think of it as a three speed automatic with a manual overdrive. :P

Actually, thinking back to some MGBs that I've owned, it was an option to have a manually switched electrically operated Laycock de Normanville overdrive mated to the standard manual transmission. Easy to get used to and very smooth. Either used it to split third and fourth, or as overdrive fourth.

Now, on early Land and Range Rovers you could add an aftermarket overdrive made by Fairey. It was manually operated, giving four shift levers in a Land Rover, and was bolted to the PTO take-off on the transfer case.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know! :shades:
  • Options
    rp05rp05 Member Posts: 20
    I have 5 BFG/AT tires 31x10.5 with 11K miles on them. I'm looking to trade them in on 5 BFG/ MT same size. The tire store has offered up this deal and I was looking for some input to determine if it's a decent deal.

5- BFG M/T $725.00 (159.00 ea)
    Credit for my 5 BFG A/T $325.00 (65.00 ea)
    Mount,balance,valve/stem/user fees/tax $111.10

Total out the door price $581.10

I paid $311 originally for the 5 BFG/AT with my GSA's traded in.
    Any feedback would be helpful.
    Ron
  • Options
    4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    I have never traded in tires before. Which tire store(s) accept trades?
  • Options
    gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Drew,

First of all…switching from the 30” to 31” tires has worked out great. The tires are louder is about the only compliant I have: but how can I complain about something I expected.

About the OD switch: I have property in the mountains, at about 6200 ft. When I go up the hill I all ways turn off the OD. It gives me better control of my speed. It may be a design flaw, but I work with what I have and really do not have a real problem with it. I do not need to use it but I prefer too. As far as driving in heavy traffic I do not think it gets much heavier then So Cal, and I do not have to nor do I turn off the OD. I will tell you that my Altima has the ability to turn off the OD and I do not remember turning it off to go up the hill, however, it has different gearing.

By the way, I decided to change the tires when I was on my property and had to use 4WD to move forward with out spinning the tires. The tread on the 30” tires that came on my Jeep did not have aggressive enough tread to overcome a slight hill of loose dirt. After I “up graded” the tires I have not experienced the problem.
  • Options
    jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    and the dooor seems to be sagging. I can't imagine that the wieght compared with a Goodyear GSA is all that different... but, it appears so. Should I just go ahead and get a rear tire mount?
  • Options
    Ron:

Your trade in allowance is very good. The price on the new ones may be a little high, but then I haven't priced them lately either. I also have 31 x 10.50 BFG Muds, but I didn't think I had to pay $159 apiece for them.

Bottom line... I think your trade-in allowance is good enough to more than make up for the (possible) over-pricing of the new ones.

Tom
  • Options
    Tom:

I've been hauling around a spare 31 x 10.50 BFG Mud tire using the standard tire mount on Thelma Jane for years. Hasn't hurt anything that I can tell, but I had the same concerns at first as you do.

Tom
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've found that the Unlimited does seem to be reluctant to downshift out of overdrive when I'm going uphill, especially at high speeds (above 50 mph). On the other hand, I often found myself downshifting in a manual in the same spots so it isn't all that big of a deal. And it is better to turn off the OD than to let the tranny hunt for gears, isn't it? That's how I went through 2 Nissan auto trannys in a year when I first moved to the mountains. For those that don't know, I live at about 6,000 feet elevation and work at sea level, so I drive some major freeway passes every day - the I-405 Sepulveda Pass, I-405/I-5 Newhall Pass and the I-5 Grapevine. My route varies from the San Diego Freeway slow-n-go crawl to high speed dashes up the Grapevine.

It doesn't look like we'll have a white Christmas - it was 82 at work yesterday (tied a record high temp for that day). Anyone who is where there's snow, throw a snowball for me, please. And you can feel sorry for me having to walk around in short sleeves in the middle of winter...
  • Options
    jonrobertjonrobert Member Posts: 3
    Just thought I would share my experience - I came away happy with both the jeep and the insurance company involved.
    About three weeks ago, I was hit from the side (front tire on driver's side) by a person driving a new Lexus (2 weeks old!). She was doing about 15-20mph. Being that it was in a parking lot and we both thought the other was at fault, I figured I would have to pay my deductible and go on my way.
    The next week - her insurance company calls (Safeco) and says in reviewing our statements they said they would pay for all repairs and rental! They also requested that I take it to the dealer, to boot!!
    In saying all that - considering that I was hit by a car going 15-20 mph - my jeep was pushed about 2 feet to the right - all that happened was the sway bar was bent, tire and rim had to be replaced and the fender needed some work. The Lexus wasnt that lucky! She took off the WHOLE front end of her car.
    Like I said, I just wanted to brag about the sturdiness of the Wrangler and actually brag on an insurance company, of all things! I hope if anyone else has to deal with this, they have as good as an experience as I did.

Happy Holidays to everyone!
  • Options
    wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    The stock Rubicons come with 31x9.50's on 16" wheels hung off the factory spare tire mount. Wouldn't seem like it would be a problem. Of course if you are looking for an excuse to buy a nice new bumper/carrier this may be your chance! :P
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Most new Lux Perf sedans have front ends that, when damaged, are just as easily replaced with new vs trying to fix. Heck the front of BMW's are now aluminum and are essentially glued to the rest of the car. Sounds crazy, but they're actually quite strong under all that plastic.

My wife was in a car wreck a couple weeks ago at over 80 mph. Wheels left the ground, air bags deployed when the car took out some phone pole sized fence posts and she walked away with no scratches, bruises, injuries, anything. So I know those cars are strong too. Just not armored like a Jeep can be. :)

Glad it was taken care of. Instead of getting the fender fixed, why not consider and propose a cheaper route and go with Poison Spyder flat fenders? :) Armor plus good looks! :)

I'd upgrade everything you can with aftermarket parts if you get a chance. They are usually cheaper and stronger than the Mopar units, plus you'll be better set for any offroad adventures!

-Paul
  • Options
    jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    I replaced the stock GSAs with 5 31x10.5 Revos and havent had any problems with sag or damage to the tire carrier. The one thing I did have to do was add a couple spacers between the tire mount and the wheel because the rubber bumpers on the back of the jeep were making a significant indention into the sidewall of the tire. I wasnt sure if this would cause damage to the tire... It also caused me to have to slam the tailgate to get it closed. One the spacers were in place, no problems.

Jeff
  • Options
    drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Sorry all. Deep snow here is finally melting, and my Jeep and house and office carpet are covered in mud and salt. This always puts me in the worst of moods apparently, and must cause me to post like a Red Sox fan after hearing about Johnny Damon.
    I went back and read "first drive" reviews of the LJ posted online and nobody mentioned this problem. And really, it's only one looong hill where traffic keeps you at 45-50 where this is an issue. I am truly amazed by the ability of the Unlimited to blast down the highway compared to my old YJ.
  • Options
    This will be my first Christmas without my Rossie Pup. It will be very sad. I used to get him a present or two every Christmas. His favorite toys were the ones that squeak.

I have posted this picture the last few years at Christmas time, and I figure my Puppy would want me to post it again and wish all of our Jeep Buds a Merry Christmas.

I miss him so much!

If you haven't done so as yet, you might enjoy checking out the website I created to honor his memory.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/

Merry Christmas from...

Tom and Ross Allen

P.S. Hank says Merry Christmas too.

• Options
    Merry Christmas to you, too. Give Hank a big hug and a belly rub from me (don't all dogs like to have their stomachs scratched?).

And give Thelma Jane a hug, too.
  • Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Merry Christmas To All.....looking forward to a new year on the jeep forum....thanks to all that have given their opinions and advice...its appreciated....Jeff...... :)
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    The stock Rubicons come with 31x9.50's on 16" wheels hung off the factory spare tire mount. Wouldn't seem like it would be a problem. Of course if you are looking for an excuse to buy a nice new bumper/carrier this may be your chance!

The tailgate on my Rubicon has sagged since day one. I've thought a few times about a tire carrier. I like the looks of the Besttop model, but then I also don't want to deal with any more rattles than I already have...
  • Options
    snake1snake1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Tireguy,
    Might you have "any" info on your cruise control system? Seem as though mopar discontinued part # 82204358 & I need it to make my cruise work. A picture of the part, maybe what it hooks to , anything you can send me would be great. Thanks
  • Options
    Hope to install the Road Armor bumper/carrier tomorrow in anticipation of a lift and 33's. Will post photos. Merry Christmas Jeep buds!

Mark
  • Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I will be traveling all day tomorrow. Just wanted to get my Merry Christmas in before I leave.

Terry
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to all our Jeep buddies!

tidester, host
  • Options
    We were victimized by a "turkey bandit" this evening! I thought we lived in a low crime area, but we should have been more vigilant.

Sometime after the big Christmas Eve meal, while gifts were being opened, a turkey bandit pulled the platter of left-over white meat off the table and down onto the floor, then ate all the turkey.

I have Hank working with me on this case, trying to figure out who the perpetrator of this malicious crime might be. Hank is kind of lethargic tonight, though, and his stomach seems bloated, so he might not be a lot of help in solving this case. Guess I'll just have to work on this one by myself.

Now, who could have gotten that turkey??? Hmmmm.

Tom

• Options
    Holiday greetings to everyone from warm, sunny Las Vegas!

Tom - I hope there wasn't too much turkey on the platter - little pups like Hank can eat themselves sick on such things. He sure looks like he's adjusted to life at your house - that's one contented dog.

I've discovered that there is a price to pay sometimes for giving Christmas gifts. We gave my Mom a new computer for Christmas this year, and guess who gets to set it all up! Luckily things are going along pretty smoothly (so far). If it continues this way it will be a first for me!

Hope everyone out there is safe, full of turkey, got lots of presents and had a wonderful day.
  • Options
    jerniganjernigan Member Posts: 1
    MY 96 TJ HAS BEGUN STUTTERING(MISS FIRING) BADLY AFTER I DRIVE 50 MILES OR SO ON FULL TANK OG GAS. I HAVE REPLACED PLUG WIRES, CONDENSER, PLUGS. I HAVE HEARD TWO MAJOR CAUSES ARE COIL OR FUEL CONTAMINATION. MY DIOGNASTICS HAVE SHOWN MUTIPLE PLUG MISFIRES. ANY SUGGESTIONS? HELP PLEASE. I AM IN NAVY AND SHORT OF TIME AND MONEY TO REPAIR.
  • Options
    chiefusnchiefusn Member Posts: 20
    Tom....you been getting my emails?

chief
  • Options
    xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Try putting a bottle of dry gas in the tank. It is inexpensive and will pull any excessive water in the gas out. And if this is not the problem, it won't hurt anything
  • Options
    Mike:

Just got one from you that I know of lately. I got one yesterday from you with that picture of Hank that you captioned. Were there others????

Happy New Year, Chief.

Tom
  • Options
    Funny! We had a samoyed who would sneak steaks off the counter, too. Rascals, they are!
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments on the spare tire carrier. I guess I will just live with it like it is unless it gives me problems.

I just pulled a 12 foot trailer 300 miles with an old Chambers stove on it with the Jeep. Had a little too much tongue weight on it, so the front end was light and squirelly in all the wind on the mountain roads. So, be careful of the tongue weight on trailers attached to your Wrangler - they are not F150s.
  • Options
    Rob (06TJ4banger) made it to Turkey Bay and wheeled with me yesterday. He and several others were staying over last night and were going to wheel again today. Hope the weather cooperates, but the forecast is for thunderstorms. We're having a storm here right now, and we are 70 miles east of Turkey Bay.

Rob had a great time, and I think he will be back.

So, who's next???

Tom

Rob on "Nose Dive"

• Options
    Wonder what his list of mods is going to be. :)

I saw your other photos, Tom. Looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here at work and my parents are still here trying to get their Mazda van fixed so they can go home. No wheelin' for me right now.

Other circumstances are keeping me from wheeling too, but hopefully not for long.

-Paul
  • Options
    wflorencewflorence Member Posts: 8
    You read it right! I bought my Jeep in Aug 2004, 3 months after purchase the valves ( Crazy loud tapping sound) where replaced ( Took 2 weeks). 5 months later the sound returned. Chrysler said that it was a defective engine block, replaced it with a new one. ( Took 3 weeks) 2 days later all of the engine oil leaked out!! Took it back to Chrysler, said that the engine had sepage ( Basically leaking thru the engine. Replaced it with another ( 3-4 weeks time ) Got it back had noises coming from the transmission, as well as the transmission was leaking like crazy! Took it back again. Relpaced seals and new gears. ( Took 1 week) Jeep is still running rough with a few pings an noises every now and then. I have a ticket open with Chrylser to buy it back or replace it. So far no luck. This has been going on since Nov 2004!!! The amazing thing is my Jeep has 13,000 miles!!!!!!! Dealing with Chrysler and the Dealership is the worst nightmare you can have!! I tried to get it replace with the Lemon law, VA has a 18 month-3 time repair! Stupied law!!!! You think Chrysler would have reacted better just to save reputation and face. I love my Jeep when it is running. It looks amazing as well, however If people ask, i bash the heck out of jeeps service!!! If anyone has insight on how to get compensation or resolution to this with out going postal at Chrysler let me know. I still have a open ticket into Chrysler, maybe they will do somthing in the new year. Thanks for letting me vent.

Wayne
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to add: The powersteering pump blew a few days after I got the Jeep back with the second motor. They forgot to tighten and seal the hose. If you want to know more about my Jeep episode, feel free to contact me! Also PLEASE POST THIS TO ANY WEBSITE YOU FEEL LIKE! Maybe Chrysler will get moving if they hear the story again and again! Thanks everyone :mad:
  • Options
    I have a ticket open with Chrylser to buy it back or replace it. So far no luck.

That's the bit I didn't really understand. Do you mean they agreed to buy it back or replace it, and now they won't stand by that agreement?
  • Options
    They have assigned the area district manager for Chrysler to look into it. He will meet with the service manger at the dealership and make a decision on what to do. This has been going on for 2 months now.
  • Options
    The DM has not contact me since this whole episode had begun. Shows how concered Chyrler is with their customers!!! :mad:
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    If you think you have a "lemon law" case, then you need to retain an attorney. Do not wait for the manufacturer to be nice to you and offer to buy your vehicle back.

You also indicated that Virginia's lemon law was stupid. The time period and repair attempts you stated appear to be in line with most other state lemon laws. It also appears you are within that window. I don't understand your statement that their lemon law is stupid.
  • Options
    Just venting a little. Virginia law states that the lemon law is in affect form the inservice date of the vehicle to 18 months. My In service date is Jan 3 2004.. so 18 months from them puts me at around July of 2005. Also, the dealership when entering the service did not associate the problems to the existing one. Made it look like separate problems, not 3 same repairs. This is the stuff I have been going thru. I had a Consumers Legal council here in VA, to validate info
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I had already looked into it. Again, the way the Lemon Law in VA is written, this did not qualify me for the buy back or repalcment. Chryslers customer side stated that VA has one of the worst Lemon law restrictions. They moved it up to Quality Control and service side. This is why the DM is going to have to look into it.
  • Options
    guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Lemon Laws - Check to see if VA has an "out of service" clause in their law. You might qualify that way. My state's is 30 days. Also, look to see if the law reads "repair attempts" or "made available for service". That would mean a visit to the dealer where you complained and they did nothing would count, if you have an R.O.
  • Options
    Will do! Thanks. I will send your info to my legal staff. They would have let me know if there was another course of action but I will see. :)
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Sorry to hear about that. I think I would have already gone ballistic. I also have an 04 Rubicon, and the only repair thus far has to fix a door rattle and adjust the back window on the hard top. Otherwise, mine has been perfect, and just about to hit 13K miles. It sounds like it's as much dealer error as mechanical error. Btw, you should have used this icon: :lemon:

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    I have 4 buddies with Rubicons and I happend to be the Lemon Dog of the bunch, the rest love them! no issues! I will keep everyone posted! I was told by the Service Manager that the DM's with Chrysler all will be in next week. We will see....Would be nice to get an 06!!! 5 speed and all.
  • Options
    greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    My girlfriend bought me a Rubicon Express 2" Lift without shocks for christmas. She also had the lift installed. Bless her heart!
    I don't think the factory shocks are doing the job. I'm needing some suggestions. I was looking at the OME shocks. Also, does anyone know what size tires I can upgrade to? I'm thinking of having a 1" body lift installed. Thanks for the help.

Greg
  • Options
    Your existing shocks will be restricting the movement of your suspension, so replacements should be a priority. Unlike a suspension lift, the body lift will have no effect on the length of shock absorbers required. After you have the body lift done you should be able to run 33" tires.
  • Options
    timmay1timmay1 Member Posts: 7
    I bought a 2003 Wrangler with a 4" lift and 33" tires. Put in 4:56 gearing in the front and rear due to bigger tires in July. Followed break-in instructions.
    Put Jeep in 4WD for the first time since I've owned it today and could only go about 12-18" before it seemed like my breaks were on and had a hard time moving in forward or reverse. Putting it in 4H or 4L is not a problem, I just can't seem to move without putting a stress on the vehicle...almost like it's binding up on me somewhere, somehow. Any ideas?

Tim
  • Options
    cbullochcbulloch Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of researching options for replacing or upgrading the factory console sub in my 2002 TJ. You mention you are possibly doing the same. I haven't found ANY info on someone actually doing it. If you have some details or photos of what you have done or your thoughts on what you plan to do I would love to hear them.

I don't want to have anything exposed that doesn't have to be in the Jeep (weather/security reasons) so keeping things close to stock is my prefrence. The best options I have found are the Kicker SSMB6 (Mid Bass 6.5) or the JL 6W0 (6.5 Sub). The SSMB6 will probably fit in the factory insert but isn't a true sub. The 6W0 is a real sub (although small) but it probably won't fit in the factory insert (3.5in depth and the much larger magnet). It would require some mounting or custom work.

What are your plans or thoughts? Have you seen or heard of anyone else actually doing something with the factory piece ? I can't believe someone else hasn't yet.

Chris
    email me if you have info (remove the xxxs of course)... xxxchrisbullochxxx@xxxhotmailxxx.com
  • Options
    Chris,

I haven't gotten any further with my sub plans since the post you referenced, but my current thinking is as follows. I plan to pull out the factory console and build an MDF insert that will hopefully hold an 8" sub vs. the factory 6". (edit: I will reinstall the factory console with the insert inside) I then plan to mount an amp under the seat (preferably driver's side). Once I get the console out if I see that I can't shoehorn an 8" sub in there I am going to seriously think about pulling the back seat out and building an MDF enclosure into the bottom center of the seat to hold a down firing 8". I could then mount an amp in the original console sub location. I think with the right box design (i.e shallow and angled, not rectangular) the rear seat would still be comfortable on each side, but firm in the center only. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    that actually mount them IN the rear seat. So it has been done and quite successfully. I think the plan actually had room for 2 8" subs. :)

My sub is in my Tuffy console (lined with Dynamat) and sounds pretty good.

-Paul