Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Sorry it took a little while to post this, but CONGRATS on the new Sahara!

Have you posted the details anywhere? How about some pics?

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Is it OK to wash the plastic windows with whatever brand of car washing soap one uses? If I wash the Jeep with Armor All, can I get it on the skins?

Thanks for any and all advice about the windows!

Laura
  • Options
    maryapruittmaryapruitt Member Posts: 11
    Okay! We installed our rack last night. Will try to get pictures over the weekend and post them.

We canoe and kayak almost every weekend and choose this rack to tie our boats down to. We choose this rack as it can be temporarily lifted to raise and lower the soft top. Haven't tried the "lifting" yet but will keep you posted.

This rack called for the drilling of 6 holes on the Jeep which went very well. We did not like the idea of drilling into a three week old Jeep, but it was worth it.

Anyone have any good or bad experience with this rack?
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Check ou this site http://www.cbrack.com that is how I'm gonna do it. Looks like a great product, can't wait to get mine!
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    FWIW, I've read that you don't want to use soap on the windows... just a clean wet rag, rinsing it out frequently. For the adventurous soul, Lemon Pledge it suppose to work really well on the plastic windows, but not the top. If you do get fine scratches in the windows, there are products such as Plexo (available at 4wd.com) that will help remove or reduce them. The long time preferred brand for keeping the top and other plastic/rubber parts looking good is a product called 303.

My solution is just never put the top and windows back up/in. 117 out of the last 118 days topless!

-twylie
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Back when I had my CJ-5 in the mid-70's, I did a lot of open canoeing in N. Georgia/TN with TVCC, TSRA and GCA. I had to weld pipe standards on my bumpers and get this monster frame stuck on to haul boats around. Drilling 6 holes - ha, you guys have it easy :-)

Enjoy that new Wrangler.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    If you want to wash the top, you'd get soap on the windows! I can't imagine never putting soap on the soft top. So, you just clean the top with water? Hmmm, I guess that's all you can do. Maybe I'll just worry about that tomorrow!

Laura
  • Options
    texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Happy Birthday! NUT
    I have some bodyside steps I want to get rid of.

nkelly1
    I like this CB. Not much of a problem for mounting and it can be harder to steal
    http://www.valcoelectronics.com/cb/c75wxst.htm

dfahy68
    I want vinyl seats. Wanna trade? The shipping will probably kill that deal.
    I have heard the besttop seat covers are a tight fit. I am looking at getting some to protect my cloth seats.

saharagal
    Yes you can get soap on your windows or atleast I do. I also use a brush on the soft top when I have to get the mud off.
    Don't use scott towels on the plastic windows, it will scratch them.
    Lemon pledge works good but it only hides the scratches.
  • Options
    Sorry if my last post was misleading. As long as you use LOTS of water (a hose without the sprayer attached is best) I wouldn't worry about using soap on the actual top. I would clean the plastic windows first with water only, then do the rest of the top with soap, rinsing everything off really well before the soap has a chance to dry. Be sure to use a soap designated as a car wash soap. Household detergent (palmolive, etc.) will strip any wax off the finish much faster than "car safe" soaps.

I used these "suggestions" on my MGB tops for 20 years and never had a window scratch or yellow.

HTH, YMMV, ...

-twylie
  • Options
    tintin2tintin2 Member Posts: 7
    Maryapruitt -- I've been looking at the Wrangler as a replacement for my 86 Izusu Trooper II. We use our Trooper to canoe and often carry two boats to shuttle between take out and put in spots. Will the Garvin rack hold two boats? Are there any other racks out there that would work for Wranglers? Can you attach a regular bar rack from Tule or Yakima to the hard top? What did the Garvin rack cost?
    Any info appreciated. Thanks for your post.
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Those of you complaining about Jeep seats, check this out:

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/mustangseats/mustangseats.htm

• Options
    I happened to see some throttle body spacers online.

Anybody know if either the Powerraid or Helix Power Tower work? Which one is better?

They claim more power and mileage.

here is one:

http://www.performanceproducts.com/product.asp? productname=Helix+Power+Tower&category=&subcat=&pr oductfamily=&keyword=&vendorid=&search=&mscssid=QGKN52EHVBC59G5N0H3EMRWQT3839F0B

(watch the wraparound...I had to put spaces in there for this forum to accept it)

• Options
    ffarrellffarrell Member Posts: 5
    Look here to see what I am talking about.

http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=83520995666957536/l=4644720/t_=9292

Copy and paste this link into your web browser to see the pictures. Because SnapFish is screwy, you can only see one pictuer in the upper left. That is sufficient. I am in the process of communicating this as a potential defect to the NTSA. Anybody who has this problem should do the same. Only then will Chrysler look at this problem. Otherwise, we'll be crapped on and ignored. Chrysler does not have a good reputation for customer satisfaction, regardless of the people who consider themselves "happy" with the service they recieved. The NTSB/NTSA site for comlaints or concerns is:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/oscripts/IVOQ/VOQ/voq1.cfm. Keep this alive and maybe we'll get some resolution. Cars this expensive should not be designed this way. You can refer back to message 3428 and forward to see the history on this.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    You posted a site which needs names and passwords.

Next time, you should put it where people can access it without any additional strings attached.

Thanks in advance.

hug your jeep
    (topless all weekend, I hope!)
  • Options
    ffarrellffarrell Member Posts: 5
    I know it needs a password, that is SnapFish's security. You will be able to see a picture of the crooked seat, albeit a small one, in the upper left. That is all you can see.
  • Options
    yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

This happened last week and I forgot to post it. I've been washing my Jeep about once every 10 days - 2 weeks, with every third wash an express hand wax job. I've also been covering it about 2 out of every 3 nights, especially when it seems like it's under a tree or next to a lawn that could get sprinkled. Anyway, a couple weeks ago it was under a tree during the day and got some bird crap on it - it was colored red. One bomb hit the hinge of the windshield on the passenger side and the other hit the outside part of the hood on the passender side, back a bit from the front fender. I figured, okay, I'll get it washed soon. I did so about 2-3 days later, and to my dismay, the bomb on the hood left a minor stain. I actually discovered this before I took it to the wash - I tried to remove both stains with my Meguiar's Quick Detail and that's when I realized I couldn't get the hood stain off. I showed it to the car wash guys but they told me it's into the paint. It's about the size of a quarter or a 50-cent piece, and it's pretty subtle - you would never notice it unless I pointed it out to you. But still, it's kind of a bummer. Just a word of warning, watch that bird crap and get it off soon after it bombs!

yellowman
  • Options
    How self-centered and uncaring you are! All you can think about is the stain on your Jeep, but have you even stopped to think for one second about that poor bird with hemorrhoids that left the red bird poop on your Jeep? :)

Seriously, you do need to get bird crap and bug guts off of your vehicle just as soon as you possibly can. People laugh at me, but I take a wet paper towel and get the bug guts off of Thelma every time that I reach my destination! At work in the mornings and at home at night.

Glad the stain is only real faint on your Jeep.

tsjay

• Options
    nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    I have seen those, are they as good as "regular" CBs? Can you hook them up to your existing speakers? The web site didn't say anything about watts, are they 4 watts?
  • Options
    Another Meguiars product to the rescue (hopefully). Try the #2 polish on the offending spot. It is a mild abrasive and will often take light paint impefections out. Let me know if it works for you.

-twylie
  • Options
    Hey Jeepers! Should I trust that little S-10 I bought to get me to Chattanooga and back next week? It's about 240 miles one way.

I have driven the truck to work for four days, and there is no indication of any problems, but it has 134,700 miles on it, and I have owned it less than a week. I know nothing about the history of the truck.

The oil pressure gage is showing good pressure, and the temp gage is also showing good readings. It runs very smooth and got 23.6 MPG the first time I checked it.

I would like to take Thelma Jane's top and doors off, since I just gave her a good bath. But, if I am going to drive her to Chattanooga on Tuesday, there's no use taking the top and doors off today.

It was my plan to clean Thelma up today and take the top and doors off, since I now don't have to drive her when there is rain or the chance of rain. But, this trip came up, and I don't know what to do.

I would still love to get Thelma topless and doorless, but not if I have to put all that stuff back on her in a couple days.

Would you guys trust an old truck to go that far from home????

tsjay

• Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Here's a link that you may find interesting:

http://jeep.i-thrash.net/cb.html

Also, yes it has a 4w output and an external speaker jack.

• Options
    You have to ask yourself.... did you buy your jeep to drive... or fret over :o)
  • Options
    Hey, Ned! I'm not fretting over driving Thelma. It's just that I would like to keep her topless and doorless, and that isn't practical for a business trip. So, if I'm gonna take her to Chattanooga, then I'm leaving her top and doors on this weekend.

I would rather go ahead and get her top and doors off and just leave her that way all summer, but I don't know if I want to risk a long trip in that S-10, having owned it for such a short time.

I will still drive Thelma to work and stuff some of the time (when it ain't supposed to rain). But I want her topless and doorless! I have something else to drive when it's raining now.

Would YOU trust that S-10? Help me out here, Ned.

tsjay

• Options
    Well, I've heard others talk about it, now I have experienced it. Today when I put my Jeep in neutral and let out the clutch there was a little rattle sound coming from the tranny. I know I have heard others mention this. Is this a big deal or is it just a characteristic of the New Venture transmissions? Thanks everyone in advance...
  • Options
    Howdy!

Thelma has that noise too. She didn't when I first got her, or at least I didn't notice it then.

It's not very loud, and I have heard that this is just something that all the five speeds do. I am waiting to see if it gets any worse before I even mention it to the dealer. I still have plenty of warranty left, since Thelma Jane has only 11,800 miles on her. If the noise gets no worse by the time my warranty is nearly expired, then I will just forget it.

It's not too often that I have the engine running and the tranny in neutral with the clutch out. I do that at some stoplights, but only if it looks like I am going to have a long wait.

I don't drive much in town anyway.

tsjay

• Options
    I always put her in neutral when coming to a stop and keep her in neutral until the light changes or traffic allows me to get above a "crawl". Haven't heard a noise so far (4000 mi). I do have what sounds like a dieseling noise when I shut her down though. I am waiting to see if this gets worse, hell it may be normal for all I know. When I go in for the "tune up" I am going to ask about it, unless something happens first. I have a little over 70,000 mi left on my warranty, so I can afford to wait and see.

Little noises like you are describing are best checked out, if nothing else you will be on record as bringing the "problem" to the dealers attention. If they blow it off (tell you it is nothing to worry about)then later on it causes you a problem you will have some recourse.....My $0.02.

tsjay - I have a 1967 ford pick up with over 140,000 mi on it, it runs strong and I have taken it hunting… I would take the jeep.
  • Options
    wheelshighwheelshigh Member Posts: 30
    Hey Tom, I say if the truck runs good and you don't see any problems with it, take it. Do you have AAA? Make sure you check fluids, tire pressure and what not before you go.
  • Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    what a coinsidence al you have manual trans...

i'm not saying a thing.....

BT
  • Options
    LOL, guess it's too bad for me I know how to drive a stick...
  • Options
    When I take it for the "tune up" I will ask if the "dieseling" sound I hear when I shut it off is a transmission problem... If they look at me like I am an idiot I'll let you know :o)
  • Options
    i'm not starting this again...

anyway..today I bought a pair of black nerf bars for tazz.
    A local parts place was going out of business liquidating their stock.
    They are by Genuine Steel paid only 70.00 for the pair. list for 154.14..
    not too bad I guess.

Now I hope I can get them on...

Keep Jeepin!
    BamaTazz
  • Options
    dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Nerf bars...are those the bars that replace the stock bumpers? I hear ya on the auto....I don't want to even mess with the 5spd. I know that the stick isn't difficult (and let me tell you it's been about 20 years since I drove a stick). I just don't want to risk getting a stick and having a hip problem creap up and not be able to drive my Jeep (when I get it).

Sorry it's been so long since I posted. Got alot on my mind.

Hug you Jeeps for me today ;o)

Dwrangler
  • Options
    nerf bars are the bars that go on the side on the jeep (side Steps)....
    When ya geeting that jeep?

BT
  • Options
    rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    I would say if the S-10 runs good take it, keep the miles off the jeep. I noticed you were talking about the top and doors, did you buy that soft top yet? When I bought my sahara I got the dual top, but if I had to do it over I think I would just get the soft top since I have another vehicle to drive on those bad days.
  • Options
    Hey there, rb! No, I still haven't gotten a soft top. I had a better idea: I got an old truck to drive to work or wherever when it's raining. I plan on keeping Thelma not only topless, but also doorless.

I thought that if I got the soft top, that still wouldn't solve the "door" problem. I really, really, really like to have the doors off too.

I have the full doors, so it is even more important to have the doors off, but I think that even if I had half doors, I would want them OFF.

Good to hear from you!

tsjay

• Options
    Welcome to the group! As far as being a "legitimate" member, you may consider yourself that already. We have had others that actively posted in here that had not yet obtained a Jeep (I was one of them: I was reading and posting messages in here for months before I got my Thelma Jane.). Bamatazz was in the same situation for a long time, and he now had his Jeep. He was going by "saharanut" before getting his Jeep.

Currently, we have dwrangler and Jeepboy727 that are actively participating in here, and they are, like you, Jeepless at the moment.

So, butter, ownership is not required, just the LOVE of Jeeps makes you a welcome member.

I don't have the experience to answer your question about what to look for (or look out for) in a used Jeep. I got my first ever Wrangler in December last year, and mine was a new one.

All I know is that you are sure on the right track in looking for a Jeep! They are a BLAST! I wish I had owned one years and years ago! I got my first Wrangler when I was already 51 years old.

Use this link to see my Thelma Jane...

http://www.members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

You can read about my buying experience and about my ownership experience there.

Also, I think you can learn a lot by taking the time to go back and read some of the old posts in here. I know, I know, there's about 3500 of them! You might just scan through them looking at the message headers and find something that you are interested in.

Again, welcome! Stick with us, and post away! The more posts the better- it gets awfully quiet in here at times.

tsjay

• Options
    lookin4saharalookin4sahara Member Posts: 53
    farrell, good work on the crooked seat issue..... it's difficult to determine, but it appears the seats in the jeep I am looking at are turned out even more than is depicted in the pictures. Don't know if I should buy? What do you think?
  • Options
    Ok, everyone, some of you don't like it cause I got the S-10 to drive to work and Thelma isn't my daily driver any more. (Thelma doesn't like it either!)

First of all, I had absolutely NO problem with Thelma Jane being my daily driver. I enjoy driving her more that I have ever enjoyed driving any other vehicle that I have ever owned!

The reasons for getting a "work truck" are many.

Probably most importantly, I was putting way too many miles on Thelma Jane. I drive 54 miles a day round trip to work and back, so there's 270 miles per week on her right there, if I never go anywhere else in her other than to work. Plus, I have to take several business trips in a year's time, so there are some more miles. I put anywhere from 18K to 22K miles on a vehicle when it is my only means of transportation. Thelma has 11,800 miles on her, and I just got her on December 8, 2000.

I have Thelma financed for five years, and I don't want her to have 100K miles on her when I make that last payment! Those of you who know my story know what extremes I had to go through to get Thelma, as far as the financing. I cannot even think of trading again for years, and that's fine, cause I have finally found the vehicle that I will be happy to keep for a long, long time.

Another reason for the truck is that pickups are just handy things to have. I don't have to depend on someone else when I need to haul off some junk or whatever.

Also, I wanted to be able to take Thelma's top and doors off and just leave them off. Now that I have something else to drive, I can do that, and I will only drive "Thelms" when it's not supposed to rain. (That ain't very often around here for the last couple months!)

That little truck only cost me $2450 on the road price. It got 23.6 MPG the first time I checked its gas mileage, so I will save on gas.

So, my friends, it's not because of any dissatisfaction with Thelma Jane as a daily driver that I got the S-10.

tsjay

• Options
    Hey tsjay,

I say take the S-10 unless you can go topless and are able to park the jeep in a safe place at night. With 134,000 miles and running fine, she has already proven herself as far as reliability.

You forgot, I am also one who has not purchased a jeep yet.
  • Options
    Sorry I left you out! I knew there was someone else, or maybe a couple people who were still Jeepless, but at the time I couldn't remember who they were.

When are you gonna get that Jeep????

tsjay

• Options
    Not sure..... the crooked seat thing is still an issue. The dealer doesn't want to fix it without a DC recall. Apparently other buyers have also noticed the seats being turned outward. It is very obvious in this jeep. I noticed it the second I looked at the interior. Maybe the 2002's will be straight.

I am also trying to resolve a parking issue. I don't have room for two cars. Like you, I do a lot of driving and don't want to spend the money on a new car only to have 100K on it in a few years. So I want to hold on to my 97' Cherokee to take the brunt of those miles. But man, the summer is passing me by!!!!
  • Options
    Ok, all this talk about the seats being turned outward made me go look at Thelma's seats. Guess what? They ARE turned outwards!

No wonder I keep running off the right side of the road! I am looking straight ahead, but Thelma runs off the right side of the road.

JUST KIDDING! The seats are pointed outward a little, but that has not caused any problems, even on long trips. I am completely comfortable when I am driving Thelma. I might never have even noticed the seat alignment without all the posting about it.

Lookin4, don't let that stop you from getting a Jeep! Just get yourself a Jeep, and set up regular visits with tjy, our long lost group member, Dr. Tim Young, who is a chiropractor. :)

Once again, just kidding. Those seats are not a problem.

tsjay

• Options
    Had the top down again this weekend. Sure has been fun! It was the first time my husband has seen it without the top. He likes it a lot. We just cruised around, enjoying the slightly overcast weather.

My son, who's a Jeep owner, said I should remove the whole top, and just use the other car when it rains. But, I don't mind the look of the Jeep with the top pushed back. In fact, I like it! Looks like a real convertible

Yesterday was the first time I went grocery shopping in the Jeep. It was cool just loading the stuff in with no top! But then, I'm easily amused! Sure am glad to have a sport utility again! I love having a FIVE SPEED! Thanks again for the good advice guys!

Laura
  • Options
    If I let the rain influence the what I do, I would never leave the house. Were I live you always have a coat or umbrella with you (or you should). Every year we a slog around in the rain hunting dear and elk.

That is one of the reasons I got the duel tops, to see which one is better for the "monsoon" season. I am going to try some soft doors. They are more of a splash guard than a door and they come off and on real easy, I will see if they work. The wrangler is a little "foofy" interior wise. If it rains I'll just put the top up, there are plenty of over passes to pull under, this is what I got it for.

When it gets 100,000 miles on it, I will keep on driving it. I suppose this would come under the "real jeep" heading… how "rebuild-able" is it. A real jeep should be able to be rebuilt as many times as you want. So far the CJs rule in this area, how will the TJ do? Well I am going to find out. If it turns out that it can't be rebuilt and/or customized then the jeep died with the CJ and I made a mistake buying this thing.
  • Options
    It's been that way here too Ned. It ain't supposed to be like that this time of year around here either, but for about all of June and so far in July, it has rained every two or three days, and the days that it hasn't, it looked like it could any time!

It's just automatic that they put at least a 30% chance of rain in the forecast for each day.

Oh, well, beats a drought, I guess.

tsjay

• Options
    jacorobjacorob Member Posts: 37
    *sigh* so a couple weeks back someone broke in to my jeep and stole my ashtray that i used as a change holder. They also pry got a checkbook and my credit card number off a receipt. I've finally gotten that all taken care of. My new credit cards arrived a couple days ago.

Well, i just got back from a day camping trip (left yesterday morning got back this morning). Guess what? Someone stole my honda civic! I mean come on! I live in an apt complex. There are tons of cars parked out front, many that are nicer then mine - especially a civic. Why is it that not one, but BOTH my cars get hit?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good alarm for my jeep? Other good security measures? Do you guys lock your doors or anything? Others i've talked to don't cause they don't want the windows to get slashed, but i don't want my jeep to get jacked, and with my luck right now...

*sigh* i definitely won't be heading to vegas or buying lottery tickets any time soon.

Bob
  • Options
    osubuc4lifeosubuc4life Member Posts: 4
    Man....the other dealers wanted to give you that little for your Grand Prix? That's crazy.... I just bought a 98 Grand Prix GTP and i traded in my 98 Honda Civic EX, and the place gave me $10,500 there. Glad to hear you got what your Grand Prix was worth!
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I got my cars to drive, not to sit. As I've said before, we sadly parted with our '88 Nissan Hardbody at 290,000 miles. I really wanted to go over 300,000 miles, but didn't want to replace the transmission again. The engine was still running perfectly, and it didn't burn oil at all.

I also financed my Wrangler for 5 years - otherwise I couldn't afford it (or any new car for that matter). I plan on keeping it at least that long, and hopefully a couple of years longer. I know it won't be under 100,000 miles - it has almost 90,000 now (89,000) and it is just over 3 years old. The Wrangler is our winter vehicle, and we used it as our only vehicle for about 4 months last summer. We ended up buying the Tacoma (my hated Taco) for commuting since it gets 28-30 mpg. It's also nice to spread the miles around (the Taco has 32,000 miles on it and it is 10 months old). We just can't dump it until the Wrangler is paid off, so I guess we will suffer with it for another couple of years. We did have extra padding put in the seats so it isn't as bad as it was, but it's still not great. We now tolerate it for our 75 mi. one way daily commute to work. We both love the seats in the Wrangler and wish that we could put them in Taco.

And for all you people suffering through daily rain - other than a thunderstorm a couple of weeks ago we have been having lovely weather! No rain, not too hot, so even though there is lots of stuff growing up here, the fire hazard is lower than normal for this time of year (that's relative - there were several small fires from lightning strikes during the thunderstorms). It is wonderful 4x4 and hiking weather! This year has been really spectacular - the poppies and other wild flowers in the spring were exceptional, the summer has been perfect temperature wise, and now I'm hoping for a cool and somewhat rainy fall, so we won't have to worry about fires (one of the several natural hazards we have here in our corner of the Los Padres National Forest - the other main one is the San Andreas Fault). So when you get tired of your awful weather, come out my way!
  • Options
    wheelshighwheelshigh Member Posts: 30
    Hey jeeps are meant to have fun in and sometimes
    we cannot afford to use them as a daily driver if
    are commute to work is a lot of miles. I say that the
    S-10 is a good idea and makes a perfect beater car
    to put high mileage on. I myself am eventually looking
    to get another car to drive along with my jeep. Good luck
    on the trip Tom!!