Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/towchat/jeepchat.html

Hey, where's everyone?
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    They ship by truck and they go from major airport to airport. They would pick it up at the station closest to them and save you a bundle on cash.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    "sas-
    I belive crutchfiled will be the way to go.
    if you buy speakers from them they will send you a
    OEM speaker hook-up with your purchase"

Yeah, but my question is whether the Polk (not sure of model #) 6 1/2 will fit the sound bar, and I wouldn't want the hassle of sending them back if they don't.
    Why not drive it there yourself and visit your parents? It would make a nice vacation into an adventure.

Two friends of mine took the summer off (early midlife crisis?) and traveled across country in a Wrangler last year.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Driving it across country seems pretty sensible to me. We drove our Wrangler 1,500 miles in 3 days, and then the same trip back (stayed in different towns). Had a great time, though we didn't see much beyond the interstate going up and back. And we chose to take the Wrangler over a Tacoma, even though the Tacoma gets almost 10 mpg more than the Wrangler does. The seats in the Wrangler are far better! So go for it and enjoy the drive.
    Someone posted here a while back a site with rollover or safety stats showing how a Jeep is safer (less prone to rollover) than some other SUV's. What is the source (cite), what is the url (site), and can you give any other info?
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    anyone needing to do a search on Jeep stuff... Go to www.jeepsunlimited.com and register. They have forums on every model and aspect of Jeeps. There are tens of thousands of posts and a couple of them actually contain useful information. The search features work very well, you just have to spend the time to search the forums (there are probably 10+ Wrangler forums due to the archives).

This is not a knock agianst the board here at Edmunds, but this forum is tailored toward prospective and (mostly) recent purchasers. JU is at the other end of the extreme and is a bunch of very hardcore Jeepers that modify the heck out of thier rides. They can be intollerant and will flame you 6 ways to Sunday if you ask something that has already been answered a million times (what size tires can I fit with no lift, what size speakers fit in the soundbar, etc.). Do your homework and search ahead of time.
    Good luck to all.

-twylie
    for the non-sarcastic, prompt reply.

P.S. Where is tsjay, our referee and moderator?
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    A 6000 mile round-trip cross-country drive is not an option right now, either financially (we're talking at least $600 in gas alone) or as a vacation, since I just started this job a month ago and don't have the vacation days. I need to ship the top if possible.
    The official Jeep website (www.jeepunpaved.com) has 2002 MSRP pricing available on the right side of the screen, for anyone who is interested. Obviously no one should pay that much, but it will allow you to check out the options packages available on all the different models, including the new "X" version.
  • sajeepsajeep Member Posts: 4
    My CJ had been in a wreck before I bought it hence the reason for needing new seats the old ones are both bent toward the center and you have to drive sitting away from the back or you'll be gazing at the stars while you running down the road. I talked to some rock crawlers that said that they have been using tractor seats for replacing their existing seats because they are more stable and have no ability to recline at inopportune times like mine do. I'm wondering if any of you have done this and found a particular model of tractor that lines up to the bolt holes in the current risers or if I'm going to have to fabricate beds for the tractor seats to bolt to. I know some of you new sahara owners are rolling your eyes back but this jeep is one that will kill ya if you don't pay attention. It's got a 327 chevy engine a 4" rise on a completely new undercarriage that is all custom including drive shafts, axles, transfer case, transmission, differentials and all so no it's not exactly a JEEP any more but if 0 to 120 in 10 seconds or so and the ability to go straight up until it gets to the top of anything winds your clock then have I got a ride for you!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Looks like if I ordered the same equipment for a 2002 as I did for Thelma Jane, the MSRP would be $24,145 instead of $23,870. I would be getting seven speakers instead of five, but other than that, it looks like I would be getting exactly the same Jeep for the extra $275. That's an increase of 1.15%, which isn't too bad, I guess.

No, I'm not thinking of getting a 2002: I just wondered what they had done on the pricing.

Thelma is still topless/doorless, and it shouldn't be too long before we get some really nice topless weather. In the meantime, she isn't being driven much at all, since I have that little S-10 to drive to work now.

It sure looks like that was a good move on my part to get that little truck. I can leave Thelma Jane topless and doorless and only drive her when the weather is suitable. I am no longer putting all those miles on her either.

I can't believe my good fortune to get such a nice truck for $2450 tax and all! That truck has not used a drop of oil in the 1800 miles that I have put on it, and the gas mileage is great. The last tank checked out at 25.6 MPG, but that included a longer trip than I usually drive. I have gotten anywhere from 23.2 to 24.1 MPG on my regular commuting. That little 2.8 V6 and the five speed tranny is a good combination.

Oh, well, this is a Jeep message board, so enough about my S-10.

Let's have some posting, people! OK, I know I haven't been posting much lately either, but let's all get going again!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I just posted a pic of my S-10 in the photo gallery, if you're interested. Off topic, yes, but there sure hasn't been much on-topic picture posting, so I thought it wouldn't hurt.

tsjay

Hey, I just thought of something! Thelma has keyless entry now: her doors are off. :)

tsjay

• dfahy68dfahy68 Member Posts: 6
    Hmmm...rear axle..interesting. Thanks appstate88, I will ask the dealer about that.

I had the shocks replaced but still hear the popping/grinding noise when taking off or turning. Question: with a locking differential doesn't it make sense that when turning (especially on paved surface) something has to give i.e. both wheels can't turn the same speed? Either the tires or something in the drive train has to allow for the difference. Isn't this what a limited-slip diff. allows for? I have the Dana 44 rear axle too.

I will say the ride improved dramatically with new shocks. I didn't realize how rough it had become. I have no idea when the shocks went bad either.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    I'm installing the keyless entry this coming weekend, as well as a swell auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, temp gauge and maplights (this is not the one in Quadratec).

Thinking about exchanging the Goodyears for a set of BFGs like tsjay if I can get that kind of deal.

I just turned over 1000 miles, and the mileage is pretty abysmal: 12 mpg. It seems like my 97 took until about 3000 miles to break in before the mileage improved, so I'm looking forward to that.

Last week, I ran with the soft top. We can put a man on the moon, and this is the best convertible top DC can do? What a pain! Its much easier dealing with the hard top than the soft one. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Has anyone installed an in-line amplifier using the factory head unit?
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Come on tom...
    we all know it was you that won the lottery..
    It said on the news is was a ketucky man...
    OK...were is our part?...
    jackbninmble...hard top easier that soft top?
    you cant be serious?...the hard top is a pain.
    need 2 people to put it on (or off)..then screw in all the bolts... takes me about 3 min to put the soft top up..
    I am planning to install an amp in the next few weeks.. gotta find the $$ first

Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
  • scomoscomo Member Posts: 39
    Did anyone here resolve the "crooked seat" question? I saw some '02 TJs at the local dealer and MAN, I can see how crooked those seats are! Haven't sat in them yet but they sure did look annoying as hell!! Definitely not something I'd expect from a $20K+ vehicle.
  • crazyjprcrazyjpr Member Posts: 8
    I have this funny feeling that this question has been posed and probably answered already, but I am going to ask it anyway - so please be kind. :)

Last night we finally got some heavy rain here and on the drive home (the highway portion at least) I had a significant shower of water coming in on the passenger side. I turned on the interior lights and saw streams of water coming down from the bottom of the dash - at about shin level beneath the glovebox. When I got home, I took out the glovebox and looked up to find water on what looks like the passenger side airbag assembly. It had gone from there down a ventilation duct and spilled out onto the floor mat.

In the three or four miles I was on the highway I managed to fill my floor mat with probably over a cup of water. Windows were shut, had the hard top on and the driver's side was dry.

Anyone have some thoughts? I'd love to get in there and plug up the leak if I can find it. But, if this has been a common thing in other TJ's maybe some of you know of solutions? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Crazyjpr
    Hard top easier - yes. But I have a lift in my garage. Only tried in once without - went inside the house and ordered the lift immediately. Without it, I figured I would drop the top or twist it and pop a windows. Electric screwdriver for the bolts.

Scomo- My seats are crooked, I just got over it - it must be by design.

Leaky TJ - this is a known issue, but I dont know what the fix was.
    I never had this happen in my TJ, but it happened frequently in my YJ. The culprit was the air intake for the HVAC (the grill is right b/w the hood and the windshield). If it cannot drain properly when it rains, it will backup into your ventilation system and onto your floorboards. Get up on the hood and see if it is draining properly.
    you have an electric hoist?..
    i would like to get one also..how much clearance do you need..My garage ia about 7' high.
    can you leave the hard top on the hoist at all times? My wife theated me about helping me with the hard top..she said NEVER again...

keep jeepin
    BamaTazz
    Well, I found the answer to one of my old questions: "What size tires did the old Army Jeeps have?"

6.50X16 is the answer.

NOW my question is, what would that translate into in the current (metric?) system?

I am also wondering if 245/85R15 would fit a Wrangler TJ. Here are the specs, along with a few others and their web site (no, I don't work for them, in fact, I just bought BFG's...but might have, had I known about them and/or seen them at a dealer in the ares):

Size                   

P.R.    Tread     Width   

O.D       C.S    Rim      

Max. Infl. Max. Load    Wt.

LT 245/85R-15   6        15/32       

7.5        31.5    9.6       

6.5x15   50             

LT 275/85R-15   6        15/32       

8.5        33.3   10.8      

7x15      50             

LT 315/85R-15   6        16/32       

9.0        36.0   12.4      

8x15      35             

http://www.denmantires.com/denman_coyote_a.htm

• carlm13carlm13 Member Posts: 4
    I've installed the Mopar sound deck subwoofer. Is that what you were referring to? Mine works just fine. You can actualy hear the radio with the top down, on the freeway. It comes with upgraded front speakers and the installation is pretty easy.

Has anyone had to replace the front sway bar links on their TJ? I just put a new set of tires on and had the front end aligned. The tech showed me where my links/bushings were worn pretty badly and said that replacing them would improve the handling. The parts are dealer order but I'd like to do the work myself. The tech said I'd need a "Zip Gun" for the tapered nut and I didn't ask for clarification on what the heck that is. Any thoughts?
    probably a moto tool type of thing.

you could put the same bit on a drill.

While you are at it, can you put on the quick detachable sway bar ends so you can remove it easier? If my ends were worn anyhow, this is what I might do. If not, I'd just use a wrench and cable ties to hold it out of the way....
    Tazz, I don't have an electric one, but I've thought about adding the electric part to it. Mine is a hand winch, or a "come-along" as they say in these parts.

The first few times I used it, I would raise it, move the Jeep out, then lower it to the floor. I started playing with it to see if it was sturdy and it seemed that it was, so now I just leave it hanging, pulling the Jeep right in to it. I've probably had a top hoisted in the air at least 75 times now, sometimes for 3 weeks at the time. Its been hanging over a week now. I figure that if it falls, between ripping the garage ceiling out and breaking the top, I can easily get a new one from insurance. Seriously, I probably should inspect the ceiling bolt and beef it up some though.

I just measured my garage ceiling, and it is 8ft. I checked and double-checked and I'm pretty sure that you've got about 2-3 inches to spare with a 7ft ceiling. The eye bolt, pulley, and fastener take up quite a bit of space, so the top is still over a foot from the ceiling even when raised all the way. Of course, if you cut a small hole in the ceiling and attached the eyebolt further up in the cross members, you'll have no problem (I should do that anyway).

I can take pictures if you want, but the hoist is the only way to go with a hard top.
    Carl, my tj has the factory subwoofer and sound bar, but what you are describing sounds different - is it? Are the new front speakers somehow powered or did the kit come with an auxillary amp or something? I've already changed the speakers to Polks, so I just need just a bit more "punch" from the front.
    Hi Crazy! Maybe my experience will help you. Thelma Jane had a minor leak (not nearly as bad as yours sounds), and it was on the passengers side, like yours.

Thelma's problem turned out to be a bad seal around the heater box where it goes through the fire wall. The way you describe your leak fits the scenario with Thelma. The leak was up on the firewall, allowing water to run down and collect under the carpet on the passengers side.

Tonkadave had the same problem with his Jeep, and his leak was as severe as or even worse than yours. They told him that the factory never put any kind of seal on his heaterbox! I guess the guy that does that must have had to go pee when Tonka's Jeep came to his work station. :)

I would take that Jeep to the dealer and have them fix it. I assume that you still have some warranty left on it?

tsjay

• ispygatorispygator Member Posts: 14
    hey, for what its worth, this might solve the last bit of punch you need.

I too replaced all the '01 speaks with polk polys. Can't remember who suggested it (sorry), but dropped in some foam baffles on the front pair (7$ a pair for XTC's from crutchfield) and for the finishing touch velcroed a pair of polk tweats to the top of the dash in the corners by the a pillars. Just tap the lines into the front wiring. They come with inline capacitors and crossovers.

Can now push up the bass without drowning out all the highs and anchors the front end for imaging. Sounds really good, in my opinion. The tweats are about $75; I had a pair in a mix and match box of left overs from a car that was totaled about 5 years ago. They sound good as new.

Hope that helps. Gator
    Which Polks did you put in front?

Did you fit 6 1/2 in the rear?
  • crazyjprcrazyjpr Member Posts: 8
    Hi tsjay! Thanks for the info about the leaks. I think this evening I will take off the dash and that hood section that the wiper arms come through. With enough water from a hose I should be able to find something. I'll look to see if I even have a gasket around my heater box. I wouldn't put it past DC to forget that. If they can't put their seats in straight, what else might they goof on? I'll post the findings when it's fixed.

And regarding the tunes... Before I even had my TJ I had an amp, head unit and five new speakers waiting for it. I junked the OEM head unit and put in an Alpine. The front and soundbar speakers were ripped out and replaced with Cerwin-Vega units. I put 6.5" in the sound bar and 4"x6" plates in the dash. The front speakers had adjustable tweeters in them so I angled them up - very good sound. I ran a Rockford-Fosgate amp and bolted it in under the driver's seat. My local shop built a custom enclosure for a 12" JL Audio sub that sits in the "trunk". One piece of advice - if you put a sub back there, mount it facing the tailgate. If you have the rear seat in and the sub fires into the seat, it sounds like crap. And with no seat and the top down, a front-firing sub doesn't have as much oomph. But with the hard top on, it's like someone's hitting you in the chest with a sledgehammer.

Oh, one more thing about an amp with the factory head unit. I can't remember if the OEM unit had pre-amp outputs or not, but I'll assume it didn't. In that case, you can get an amp that has speaker level inputs and hook it up to wire taps on the positive leads to the front or rear speakers. If you're using the amp solely for a sub, make sure you have an adjustable low-pass filter in it - that kind of tuning makes a huge difference.

That's all for now... Gotta go do some work so I can pay for more mods to my TJ!
  • scomoscomo Member Posts: 39
    Leaky Guys (sorry..)

Again, try this link for info:

http://forums.jeepsunlimited.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/000598.html

and look for TSBs on leaks (by year) on it at:

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

I had a leaky '97 TJ and it was fixed by DC even after the warranty.

• thedude1thedude1 Member Posts: 13
    I used the 5 1/4 Polks in the rear (didn't feel energetic enough to force a fit for larger ones), and 4 x 6 in the dash. I dont remember the model numbers, but I got them from Crutchfield. Took every bit of 15 minutes to install all of them. If you buy from Crutchfield, make sure they send two pairs of wiring adaptors, their documentation leads the sales rep to think only one pair is needed.
    thanx for the info on the hoist...
    I really would appreciate your pics if you could send them I would appreciate it..
    send them to:
    collectcrier@worldnet.att.net

thanx again

BamaTazz
  • carlm13carlm13 Member Posts: 4
    If you got the factory subwoofer then you already had the upgraded Mopar speakers. The subwoofer was originally an accesory only item but it looks like now it's a factory option as well.
  • pizzadudepizzadude Member Posts: 35
    Hey Spyro..how is it going? I read you were going to a Jeep Jamboree sometime soon. I was wondering what all is included in the fare. I looked up a afew jamborees and they were like 250$ per person for like 2 or 3 days. Does taht include meals or lodging? If not, what all does that get you...besides what sounds like a great time.

Also, how is the lift kit since you've been living with it for quite some time. Do you have any driveline problems or vibrations, tire alignment problems? Did you get the slip=yoke eliminator kit?

Well, talk to you later.

-pizzadude
    After reading some of the posts about improving mileage by driving a little slower, I decided to give this a try myself. My mileage has been pretty bad recently. For the past tank of gas, I deliberately tried to keep my speed at 55-60mph. I upgraded from the stock 215s to some 30" tires 6 months ago, so I am going 10% faster than the speedometer says, near as I can figure, so we are actually talking about driving 60-65mph, no easy feat when surrounded by leadfooted Californians.

Keeping in mind that the odometer is also off by 10%, I figured my mileage out last night after I filled up and was astonished to see 19.82 mpg. I haven't been near that since I used to get 19-21mpg after the break-in period.

Of course, I had forgotten that my speedometer/odometer readings were off for the past few months, so my recent mileage hasn't been as bad as I thought. Still, this is much better, and I think being the guy in the slow lane has been the reason.
    ...but by going slow, you get to see and hear a lot of what you've been missing before.

I am just more relaxed and smiling more driving a jeep.

:-)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I figured out a couple of months ago that I get 3 cents per mile better gas mileage when I keep the speed below 65 (around 60). So whenever my lead foot would get the better of me I will just think that I'm saving enough for a lunch every day (about $4.50) on my long commute to work.

Those lead footed Californians don't bother me as much as the California dummys that don't know how long their vehicles are. Last night 3 different people passed me and pulled in front of me without making sure they were in front of me. I was a mite nervous last night - the night before I spent an hour and a half stopped on the freeway, admiring the back of a couple of firemen who were working on a brush fire burning right next to the freeway, and watching the flames engulf the ridge next to me. So in spite of the lovely summer we have been having (cooler than normal) fire season has come to Southern California. Guess we couldn't avoid it forever, especially since so many other areas are having such a bad time of it.
    I am not into this kind of thing, but www.crutchfield.com has a scratch and dent section which has a good deal on a bazooka tube subwoofer for like $85.

If you are into that, I'd check it out...
  • appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Hey dude!
    According to the jeepunpaved.com web site, the Jeep Jamboree Fee covers most of your needs for 2 full days of activities (Along with goodies such as T-shirts and other fun items...)

That includes all meals, but not lodging. But the info pack you receive in the mail has lots of suggestions in the lodging department.

I registered my wife and her dad for the Appalachian October Jamboree in North Carolina (On what looks like Peak Leaf Color Weekend!) They should have a blast.

According to what I have read on other boards the Jeep Jamborees are a little more expensive than some independent ones, but I figure that they should see the "Official" Jamboree, make connections and then branch off from there.

I will get a report from her and let you know how it was!
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    The Jambo doesn't include lodging although there are usually near hotels and campgrounds. This is what is contained in the Murphy Jambo in NC:

Breakfast, Trail ride, Lunch, Trail ride, Dinner, Breakfast, Trail ride, Lunch, Trail ride, Dinner, and final breakfast. So two full days of stuff.

Plus they have trail guides and people to help out at all the tough spots. Maybe a bit high but you get to meet alot of cool people, and it's very well organized.

Now about the lift: heck yea it rocks! I love it... wishing I would have gone with the 4" longarm kit now but maybe sometime soon I'll switch out. I just got spare axle shafts, rear carrier, and 4.10 gears from a guy all for $250. The lift has VERY good road manners and now that I rotated my tires I have NO vibes what-so-ever. although I do have a T-Case drop which I want to get rid of. I may go with a 1" motor mount and 1" body lift before getting an SYE, but I'll see how the money goes... Oh an BTW, any of you who have a D44 rear axle and don't plan on going with any bigger tires...Wanna trade?

here's a pic of my jeep just this past weekend... that's my girlfriend driving

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/towchat/jeepchat.html

For those who are considering a 2002 SE model, there is currently a unique "Wrangler Jeans" version being auctioned for charity on Ebay, item #594904686. I always liked those Levi's Edition CJ-5s with the special denim vinyl seats. I gather this "Wrangler Jeans" version is similar.
  • pizzadudepizzadude Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like they include everything but the lodging, which isn't too bad at all. I will hopefully check one out next year.

Spyro...glad to hear the lift is working out. I am really antsy to lift my TJ. Maybe next spring I will save up enough to do it. I'd like to do the SYE, 4" all in one shot...we'll see.

Talk to you later.

-pizzadude

PS. Spyro...Jeep is looking good on that rock face...awesome!!
    ...the TJ lift thing.

More confused than ever.

I want a 2-2.5 inch lift.

Explorer Pro Comp, Old Man Emu, Rubicon Express, and Terraflex all seem to have good reputations for newer companies, while Rancho and Skyjacker seem to have good ones for older companies.

Anyone care to share experiences and prices (and where bought)?

I only have 31" tires, but want a little more room and might some day do 32" (with 3/4 spring spacer).

Thanks, and have a nice Labor Day weekend everyone!
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    Getting a lift is a personal choice and my best advice is to get meet up with some people in a Jeep club. Most jeep owners I know(myself included) will be happy to let you ride in our lifted Jeeps so you can get the feel of it, some people may even let you drive it. Different lift companies will have different spring rates and have different parts as well. Pick the lift that will meet your needs and budget. The rule of thumb is a 2" lift will fit 31"-32" tires, 3" lift will fit 32" and 33" tires and the 4" with a 1" body lift or a 5" lift will fit 35" tires. The taller the tire the more you will want to change your gear ratios for the differentials.