Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I just love driving topless. Even in 35-40 degree weather, I am now wearing gloves and loving it!!!!
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    "Just found out that another difference is the injector pressure.

from http://home.earthlink.net/~mildness/jeep-will.htm

"Did you know you can use Ford injectors of a higher pressure and they drop right in, neither did I till yesterday when one of the forum members put in 19lb injectors in his 15lb stock 4.0 and the said the performance was much better [on an engine that has 188,000 mi]. The injectors were off a Mustang GT and were free from a buddy which is the only reason he tried it. O rings and connectors are the same too."

• thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Well, after selling my 97 automatic 2.5 cylinder about 5 months ago, I've been itching to get back in! I can't stand not having a Jeep, (I bought a new Honda Civic). I'm debating whether or not to buy a new (would have to be the 2.5 cylinder for cost reasons) or a used 98-99 Sport. My main concern would be reliability. With a new one I'd be covered by the warranty and have peice of mind but be under powered. With a used Sport I'd have power but will I have peice of mind? Thanks for your suggestions!
    Sonny
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    thebigkahuna

First, I hope you learned your lesson. :) Second, sounds like the new X model may work for you. It is a new model that is suppose to make the 4.0 more afforable. It is around 18K.
    Good Luck
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The only thing I can say about a 98 Sport is that mine runs just great! If it weren't such a thirsty thing, I wouldn't have another car. It has 90,000 miles on it with only one problem, and I still haven't bothered to take it in to get it fixed, because it hasn't happened since the spring. There is a TSB out for a short or something with the dash gauges - they all go away and the airbag light comes on. It happened occasionally last winter - might have been cold related, because it hasn't happened since we got back from a trip to Canada in the spring.

Mine has certainly been one tough vehicle, and I would look at them if I couldn't afford a new one (that would be my preference).
  • slpmomslpmom Member Posts: 11
    mtngal, where can i find out about this tsb on the dash gauges going out. that has happened on our '98 sport several times in the last week. we just hit the top of the dash and they all go back to functioning, but i'm sure that isn't really good for it. i'd appreciate any information that you have. thanks....
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    for any manufacturer, you can get TSB and recall info from Alldata http://www.alldata.com

For the '98 Sport

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/04/980430D2.html

specifically, look at #21 on the list...

08-20-98A OCT 98 Instrument Panel - Erratic Operation

This will help the dealer know what to look up.

I think this specific issue relates to bad solder joints on the dash circuit board. HTH

-twylie
    It sounds like you have the same problem we had. I didn't find hitting the dash much good, but if I went over a good sized bump, they seemed to come back on. And it hasn't happened for months (since the weather warmed up, but that may not have anything to do with it). I found the info for the TSB listed on the government's highway safety department web site. Go to www.nhtsa.gov and then follow the links for safety and then Technical Service Bulletins. They'll ask you for year, make and model. I wrote down the TSB number of 08298 but don't quite know what that number means. I know that there is another private site that lists TSB's also, but don't remember where it is (some Edmund's board I was reading a year ago had it listed). That one will give you all of the details for a fee, rather than just what the problem is. Do any of you guys out there know which one I'm trying to think of is?

Let me know how you make out with your dealer, if you decide to get it repaired. I'm not going to do anything about it at the moment since it hasn't happened for so long. But if it starts up again, I'll get it fixed.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I've had my '98 Sport now for 3.5 years (2 more payments, kids, and she is all mine) and the dash gauge thing was the only thing that ever had to be fixed. Seems like the '98 models are pretty reliable. I only have 32K on mine so far, though.
    Thanks for the replies. I realize my post was inaccurate. I didn't mean 2.5 cylinder. Of course it was a 4 cylinder, 2.5 liter engine. Any more thoughts would be appreciated. And Texasjeep, yes, I have learned my lesson. I missed it the second I handed over the keys. I'm thinking a good time to buy would be on a snowy monday at the end of the month in December.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    ok guys i'm still here..i havent deserted ya...
    Jack..yes I got the pics...I appreciate it..I gotta get a lift for mine..
    I like how you have added power locks & windows to your jeep...thats an idea i have been thinking about as well...was it difficult to add the mirror?
    Glad to see all you guys still posting..We gotta get back to our regular lives..Show Mr. Laden we cannot be intimidated (right tsjay)
    Keep Posting guys & gals!!

UNITED WE STAND!
    BamaTazz
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I got a big chuckle out of your post about a "2.5 cylinder engine." I figured you knew better, but I kept getting this image of an egine with two and a half cylinders.

I think the question of four cylinder new vs. six cylinder used would depend almost entirely on the type of driving you will be doing. There is absolutely no way I could stand the lack of power that you have to put up with when you have the four cylinder engine, but I do a lot of highway driving.

For around town and playing around offroad, I have heard that the four banger is fine.

In my case, I would opt for the used six cylinder, but I don't know how you plan on using the Jeep, so I can't make a suggestion.

The main thing is to get back into a Jeep! Hope you end up with a good one that satisfies your needs whichever way you go.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S. If you get a used one with some original warranty left on it, it might give you some peace of mind, as you indicated that you were concerned about in your post. ALso, you might check to see if you can get an extended warranty on the used Jeep, but I'm not sure if you have to be the original owner in order to get an extended warranty or not.
    Tsjay, in this time of dread I am only too happy to provide some levity:) The moment I clicked send I had a "doh" moment! I really think the 6 would be better. I also think that I can get an extended warranty if I buy within the original factory warranty. The 4 banger on the highway was pretty weak. Even driving in the wind was tough. It would be used as a daily driver with occasional beach (surf fishing) use. It's nice to get back to reading and talking Jeep's!
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Of all the things I've added, the mirror is one of the easiest (speakers were pretty easy too, especially with the adapters from Crutchfield). The windows weren't hard - figure I could do it in under 2 hours now. The locks were the toughest, because the kit was a universal type.

By the way, the mirror has map lights and is not the one you see everywhere (Quadratec). Let me know and I'll send you the link.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/towchat/jeepchat.html

I'd also be interested in the link to the mirror you installed.

thanks,
    twylie
    Drove Thelma Jane to work today (topless and doorless, of course).

I wore a jacket and a wool hat this AM, since it was only in the upper fifties at the time I drove to work.

It got into the upper 70's by the middle of the day, and I drove Thelma to a Sonic drive-in at lunch time. That was really nice sitting out there in Thelma eating my lunch. Had a buddy from work with me, and we both had a good time.

tsjay

Please let me see that link for the mirror..
    i'm very interested in that...

Hey trey...good to see ya posting..
    I'm thinking about getting the same speakers you got for your jeep...they sound great...

UNITED WE STAND.
    BamaTazz
    What has happened to all my buddies? We had that Thursday night chat going great a couple months ago, but for the last few weeks, almost no one is showing up!

Let's get back in the habit, people, OK?

tsjay

• yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

I was looking at the opposite side of my front wheels the other day when the Jeep was parked and had the wheels turned in one direction - I noticed what looks like rust on them, and on some other metal parts underneath the grille. Is this normal? Perhaps I'll break out the digital camera so I can show everyone what I'm talking about.

yellowman
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Hi there fellow jeepsters!

Sorry I've been gone for so long but with school and all, I've been pretty busy. I've decided (unfortunately) that my dream of Jeep ownership will have to wait a bit longer as my first task it to get my finances in order, and I may have to get some help from consumer credit counseling to accomplish it. But if something comes along to make it possible to get one sooner, I won't hesitate.

Tomster!

I've probably missed ya in the other room, but I plan on checking in this Saturday around 8 or so (it may be a bit later if I go to my friend's house). I agree with your open letter...they just don't truly understand who they've messed with, to their own demise. Hope to talk to ya Saturday.

Bamatazz and twylie! I've missed your input as well, come and visit often. I loved your stories and jeep talk. You too Tex :)

Drew,

Sorry that I've only been in the chat room a couple of times, but I have a class from 6:30-9pm on Thursday so there isn't enough time to chat. Hopefully next semester I will be able to stop by.
    Well folks I hate to post quickly and leave but there's a thunderstorm brewing and I don't want to fry my computer. Take care and to those of you that know me from the other room....Please come by and chat soon I miss ya there too.

And remember....Hug your jeeps for me today ;-)

Dwrangler
  • appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Here is my little tidbit on the new or used discussion.

When we were looking for my wife's Wrangler in 1998 I did some serious checking on how well the Wrangler held it's value.

Turns out it holds its value extremely well. So well, in fact, we ended up buying a new Sahara. The old arguement of not buying new because of the steep decrease in value just didn't hold up.

Now, as to 4 versus 6 cylinders... My opinion in driving both was that the 4 banger was just fine for all but the most severe applications. Plus the price was better with higher gas mileage. The wife, though, was more comfortable with the power in the 6 banger. So, since it was for her...

We bit the bullet and bought a new Sahara.

Hope this helps!

Good luck with your coming purchase!

AppState88
    Since the TJs windwshield is so upright, the map lights are not ideally effective, but are better than nothing. Everything else works great, and the installation is relatively simple, except that I haven't figured out the best way to hide the wire coming around the inside of the windowshield frame. I got the Model 36500

http://www.rpminnovations.com/rearview_mirrors.htm
    Thanks for the link. That looks like just what the doctor ordered. Does the temperature part have a wire that has to be run to a remote location to avoid direct sunlight, etc.? If so, where did you end up routing yours to? I've read that they can be placed in the door jam at the front edge near the hinge, but am not sure if this would work with half doors... I've also seen a write up on pulling one of these out of a late model Ford or GM SUV, but haven't been to a local salvage yard to scrounge for one yet. Done rambling... thanks again for the link.

-twylie
    The temperature sensor goes up front between the bumper and radiator. On TJs, theres a steel bracket that I clipped it to, then ran the wires up through the left headlight, along with the wires going to the passenger compartment on the drivers side. Very easy to do.
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Hey, I just hit 1,000 miles today on my Sahara. I'm still loving my nameless Jeep. Just wanted to say hi!
  • ffarrellffarrell Member Posts: 5
    I've got a Wrangler Sahara 2001 and after 4700 miles it developed a knock at startup until the engine heats up. The dealer tells me it's completely normal "piston slap" which I think is bs. Why after 4700 miles? I called chrysler and they bascially told me to go to hell. I'm sorry I own this junk. The seats are skewed outward so my back breaks atfer 5 miles. That is also "normal". I've owned a 90 wrangler that had 125000 miles with none of these problems. All this and insults from chrysler for $26000. I'm sorry I bought this car, and I will never, ever, buy a chrysler product again. I loved Jeeps, and now I'll never drive one again.
  • jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    While playing around on the Net, I found this interesting link for a company that makes stretch 4 door Wranglers...very interesting! http://www.tcvinc.com/

Jeephead

• ffarrellffarrell Member Posts: 5
    I've got a Wrangler Sahara 2001 and after 4700 miles it developed a knock at startup until the engine heats up. The dealer tells me it's completely normal "piston slap" which I think is bs. Why after 4700 miles? I called chrysler and they bascially told me to go to hell. I'm sorry I own this junk. The seats are skewed outward so my back breaks atfer 5 miles. That is also "normal". I've owned a 90 wrangler that had 125000 miles with none of these problems. All this and insults from chrysler for $26000. I'm sorry I bought this car, and I will never, ever, buy a chrysler product again. I loved Jeeps, and now I'll never drive one again.
    Tsjay is right, the chats have been getting pretty irregular recently--although the prez was on before Congress last night, so maybe that was a distraction. Hopefully it'll pick back up this fall. Posts have been slow too.

Drove a co-worker's Toyota Prius (electric/gas hybrid) today at lunch. Neat concept, but I'd really have to adjust my driving style for that--it felt very underpowered. Still, I envy her getting triple my mileage around town...
    hey..It my jeep...i just dont see this skeward seats...Try to call another jeep dealer about the pistons..doesnt really sound like a big problems to me.. dont give up so easliy..

Tom,,sorry about the jeep chats...but with school starting up..i'm trying to get kids bathed & put to bed...i'm beat...I will try to get back on board.

thanx for the link on the mirror..
    I belive i will try it..

Bamatazz
    UNITED WE STAND
    Congrats on the new baby Sahara :-)
    As tsjay, bamatazz and the rest of the Mud Hole Gang knows that's the Jeep I want. But due to finances it'll have to wait for a few years. And Saharagal has made my color choices more complicated....I'm actually thinking about a white Sahara (go figure). Enjoy those long drives, and keep that baby happy. Ask Tom, when he drives that pickup it makes his baby very upset ;-)

Bama,
    Are you being anti-social or what ;) come by the Mud Hole chat room Saturday around 8 or 9 pm. We can keep both of them going. I like hearing what everybody has been up to with their Jeeps.

Saharagal,
    Where ya been girl? There can't be that many tennis matches on tv. And by the way how was the celebration with the mileage? Did you take her out for a nice bath, wax and shine :-)

Tom,
    Have you been taking care of Thelma Jane or is she still mad at you for taking that ole' truck out? Hopefully see ya Saturday.

Remembering those we lost and the heros that continue their efforts in NY, DC, and Pennsylvania. America: We Stand Defiant and United!

Hug your Jeeps for me today.

I plan to come back more often this year, sorry I've been away so long.

Dwrangler
    Wow...girl...now thats a post...
    I will try to make it tonight then...
    Tazz is doing great...just gave him a bath...
    got the top down..thinking about going cruising later on today...But gotta watch Bama beat those Arkansas razorbacks 1st....
    Everyone check out streetsignsusa.com..
    they are giving out free flags for your cars..
    all you have to do is send them a SASE...

UNITED WE STAND!
    BamaTazz
  • mailman_12_3mailman_12_3 Member Posts: 2
    Neither one of my turn signals nor my emergency flashers seem to work. I have checked the fuses and also the bulbs. Any ideas what might the problem be. Thanks.
    It's been quiet around here lately, so I thought I would toss out another topic. I just replaced my tires. Decided (after much thougtht) not to go with the BFG 31's since I use the odometer so much for navigating and I didn't want to try to work a calculator when I'mfiguring out where I am. I also decided that since it sounded to me like much of the Firestone problem had to do with the Explorer, I decided to get Bridgestone Dueller AT tires (sort of putting my money where my mouth is). They don't look as good as the BFG's. The only thing I had used before were Goodyears, so I was surprised how much more traction the Duellers have on regular roads. It seems to make a difference in the wind, too. Granted, it hasn't been all that windy, but it blew hard enough to have bothered me when I had the Goodyears on it. I haven't been off-roading yet (the graded dirt road I took this morning to walk the dog doesn't count, except to get my recently washed Wrangler dusty!). Anyway, so far they seem superior to the Goodyears. I know they won't be as good as some of the real off-road tires, but since the Wrangler is also my everyday winter vehicle, I didn't want something as loud as the Super Swampers etc. I'll let you know if I think they are better in snow when January or February comes along... I'm now starting to look forward to cooler weather!
    Sounds like the flasher has gone out. Unusual, unless you've been towing a trailer - many times the additional load will burn out a stock flasher. If you have to replace it and you tow trailers, its best to use a thermal flasher.
    Though I as yet still do not have a Jeep of my own, I feel for you with turn signal problems. I had similar problem with the turn signal on my Firebird. Just make sure if you go and get a new bulb that you test each one if there is more than one bulb in the fixture. I made the mistake of not checking all three (or four) of the bulbs in the left rear fixture at the auto parts store before I left. Of course it was the one that I didn't check that was bad. Oh well, live and learn.

Hey Tomster....You out there? Missed ya Saturday. We had a few, gal, JeepBoy, wheels. Not the numbers we're used to but it's a start. I haven't been able to send an email to Gill with his website email....What's up with that?

Oh Baaaaama....hey guy where were you? Surely Bama won the football game....didn't they?

Nice talkin' to ya gal. Hope you're feeling better.

Mtngal-glad to hear about the wheels. I know about driving a Jeep during windy conditions, it happened while I was test driving a Sahara at a dealership. I drove it out on to the highway and it was a bit un-nerving when the wind picked up around two miles away from the dealership as I was on my way back...now that was scary.

Well, folks it's late and 6:45 comes way too early.

Hug your Jeeps for me today ;-)

dwrangler
    Hi Everybody!

Just thought I'd post and tell all my buddies that good old Thelma Jane is still topless/doorless. It is sure nice having that little S-10 for a daily driver, which is the only way that I can leave my Thelma Jane without her top and doors.

It won't be too long I guess before that top and those doors are going to have to go back on, regardless of the S-10. It will be October in about a week, and sometime that month I know I'll be putting them back on.

After the topless/doorless days are over, I will then be looking forward to SNOW! I hope we have some good ones this winter! I have yet to have an opportunity to play with Thelma Jane in a big snow.

I hope we can get this board real active again. I sure miss all the posting we used to have around here.

tsjay

• barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    Does anybody know what the axle code is to determine if I have the limited slip.
  • teajayteajay Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking at what a lot of you folks been paying, and I think I was able to get a very good price. I purchased my loaded 2001 Sport in May for $500 off of invoice - with the rebate, that would make it $1,000 but I took the 1.9% finanace incentive instead because it was slightly better on an NPV basis. Looks like I was able to cut into the holdback. Probably because it was near the end of the month. Since Wrangler sales are at very low points, all of you should be able to do at least as good as I did.
  • jrjeep1jrjeep1 Member Posts: 7
    Crawl under your Jeep and look at the rear differential--there will be a metal tag attached to it if it has the factory limited slip clearly noting it.
    Hey, Sarge! Great to hear from you! Havin' fun with that Jeep over there?

Let us know how things are going.

tsjay

Hello fellow jeepers!?

Sorry it's been so long since I have posted. Since I'm in the Army over here in Germany and given the recent events, I have been busy! So I've had my 2001 sport since the 5th of July and I have put 6500 miles on it so far. It has been FUN! I really love that jeep. So far I have replaced all of the factory speakers (with the exception of the subwoofer) with Lazar ones, and repaced the head unit with a Kenwood CD player. The new sound system rocks and it's fun rolling around Germany with tunes cranked up. :) Many thanks to twylie's site! I also tinted the front windows to match the factory tint on the hard top/ soft top windows. I think it looks pretty good considering it was a do it myself job.

So is everyone still chatting on Gill's site or what? I would like to chat so someone let me know where to go. OK?!

And to all of those who doubt the readiness of the U.S. military, just hide and watch. We will do our duty for the nation and the free world. It's just a matter of time, and all good things are worth waiting for. :)

Later
    jrjeep
    hey sorry abou sat night...i fell asleep...
    it gets close to 8:00 i'm out of it..
    I promise i will get better

jrjeep..
    glad to hear from someone in our armed forces.
    I have no doubt that all you guys are ready to protect our freedom. We are all praying for you guys. Now go do what you do best...

UNITED WE STAND
    BamaTazz
    Hello fellow jeepers!?

Sorry it's been so long since I have posted. Since I'm in the Army over here in Germany and given the recent events, I have been busy! So I've had my 2001 sport since the 5th of July and I have put 6500 miles on it so far. It has been FUN! I really love that jeep. So far I have replaced all of the factory speakers (with the exception of the subwoofer) with Lazar ones, and repaced the head unit with a Kenwood CD player. The new sound system rocks and it's fun rolling around Germany with tunes cranked up. :) Many thanks to twylie's site! I also tinted the front windows to match the factory tint on the hard top/ soft top windows. I think it looks pretty good considering it was a do it myself job.

So is everyone still chatting on Gill's site or what? I would like to chat so someone let me know where to go. OK?!

And to all of those who doubt the readiness of the U.S. military, just hide and watch. We will do our duty for the nation and the free world. It's just a matter of time, and all good things are worth waiting for. :)

Later
    jrjeep
  • tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    I drove to quadratech today and bought some upper glass window sliders for my half doors. I got the Bestop brand and found out they dont make them for the new sailcloth yet. I tried them anyway. Turns out the set I got had a defect where the metel window divider was installed to low and tears up the gasket as the window slides. I am taking them back tomorrow. They are very expensive and very cheaply made with the window latches made from flimsy plastic. I would not recommend these until they come out with a better version.
  • jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    I live in central Indiana, and am worrying about the upcoming winter and my soft top. Has anyone here done winters through moderate snow/ice with a soft top? I was hoping to buy a hard top, but money is a little tight now. I have moved to an apartment about a block away from work, so there is very little daily driving, but are there any things I should keep in mind to help take care of the top through the winter? (Brushing accumulated snow off of it comes to mind, as well as being careful on the plastic windows.) I have the full doors, which makes me feel a little better, but am curious as to anything special I should be aware of. Thanks for any info!

Jeephead
    Thats a pretty good deal. Mine was about the same maybe a little less, but under invoice. The way everything is right now, its probably a great time to buy a vehicle. $500 off a Sport, depending on options, is eating into the holdback deeply, so that is probably as good as anyone can get. Good job!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    War baby that became a legend

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards