-September 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,191

The EV seems to be affected even more than ICE, though. From what I have seen in passing, range is cut 50-60%. My gas mileage goes down, but not half. More like 25%.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,464
    @qbrozen - here is a surgical misadventure.. Organ on the wrong side of the body that looks nothing like a spleen apparently was removed. Wow. That’s nuts
    https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-doctor-removes-wrong-organ-spleen/62055549

That’s unbelievable. There are literally thousands of untrained people who would not make such a mistake.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 8,171
    mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen - here is a surgical misadventure.. Organ on the wrong side of the body that looks nothing like a spleen apparently was removed. Wow. That’s nuts
    https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-doctor-removes-wrong-organ-spleen/62055549

————————————————
    My question is, I thought before a surgeon proceeded the team assisting the surgeon is briefed about what the surgery is going to be. Sounds like the team just stood around and watched. This has to result in a VERY large settlement and deservedly so.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 23,229
    When I had a hernia operation they asked me in the OR what I was there for before they put me under. I believe they also write it on your wrist band or your body somewhere too.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,164
    I went in a week before my hernia operation for a pre-op checkup.
    The doctor said I'll look at it, it's on the right side.
    I said no, it's on the left.
    He said impossible, my notes say it is on the right.
    He checked...it was on the left.
    I cancelled and booked at the Shouldice Clinic in Toronto......hernias are the only thing they do.
    People come from all over the world to get their hernia repaired at Shouldice....even botched ones.
    It was worth getting it done right!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,699
    I've thought about picking up a GT53- until I remember that it's not one bit quicker than my C43, and weighs nearly 800 pounds more. Still, I would like to have another fast coupe in the garage- my last was my beloved E24 M6.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 23,229
    mjfloyd1 said:

Correct. Before surgery, there is a “time out” to relay what the planned procedure is (including site - left vs right), pt name and DOB, antibiotics ordered/ given, allergies and fire risks. Apparently this surgeon and the entire OR staff didn’t know left from right or what a liver looks like vs what a spleen looks like since they look nothing alike. That’s incredibly sad that apparently no one spoke up. I suspect that the surgeon’s take will be that the patient had hemoperitoneum (blood in the abdominal cavity) and that obscured his vision but you can suction, rinse,suction, rinse until things look normal-ish.

I don’t recall if it was the article that I linked but it looks like the same surgeon had a malpractice case where part of the pancreas was removed instead of an adrenal gland. Someone needs to lose their medical license.

Maybe the were busy doing TicToc videos and got distracted.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 51,442
    Carvana sends me Emails with cars I might like. today was a TT RS, a 240iM sport, and a 2024 (I think) Z car with some sort of performance pack and about 900 miles. That was IIRC about $48k. But sharp, in a metallic gray with black and red seats, and a manual trans. I could probably live with one of those! Minor issue, the wife would probably never be willing to drive it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,944
    Here's a vote, although I'm not sure why, for the M240...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

stickguy said:

Carvana sends me Emails with cars I might like. today was a TT RS, a 240iM sport, and a 2024 (I think) Z car with some sort of performance pack and about 900 miles. That was IIRC about $48k. But sharp, in a metallic gray with black and red seats, and a manual trans. I could probably live with one of those! Minor issue, the wife would probably never be willing to drive it.

————————————————
    There is nothing wrong with having your own personal car but that means you’re responsible for all bruises. :/

jmonroe
    well, if my wife does not want to drive either of the units in the garage, that means I have 2 cars and she has none. And that really ain't going to work.

stickguy said:

well, if my wife does not want to drive either of the units in the garage, that means I have 2 cars and she has none. And that really ain't going to work.

Buy one for her; problem solved.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

then one of them won't fit in the garage.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 17,071
    You chose this conundrum, stick! You could have had that third bay!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford F250 Lariat D, 1976 Ford F250, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100
    stickguy said:

then one of them won't fit in the garage.

————————————————
    Well, at least you’ll know where your car isn’t.

jmonroe
    pine trees (AKA the devil) mean my car will never park outside.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,399

@roadburner said:
    Vanilla s*cks.

So does my vacuum cleaner and nobody complains about that

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@Kirstie_H said:
    I am not personally doing anything apart from exchanging emails with Vanilla support personnel, but thanks for the appreciation nonetheless.

I was thinking "Guzzlers and Geezers" or "Clunkers and Codgers." Too much? :D

How about just "Geezers and Cosgers"? I mean I worked hard to get to this age I think I should be allowed to wallow in the names

Out on the bike today, great day for it. Came upon a TR4 that looked showroom new. Had a quick chat with the driver who told me he bought the car new in 1962.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,774
    @snakeweasel,
    You can be the Cosger. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited September 8
    If you want to see where I get my profile pic from, you can see it just over 2 minutes into this clip.
    It ends just before all the fun starts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EK5MHzqcaw
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,356
    I'm having trouble logging in on PC. I get message that my request, sometimes the username sometimes the password, is invalid or malformed.

This occurs in both Brave and Firefox browsers. I tried rebooting computer. Then I tried each. No luck.
    I finally had to resort to Google Chrome as a last hope. It was still logged in.

I use ccleaner and sometimes Cleanup! especially after being on Facebook to remove the hooks that are left by those sites to track and garner info. That seems to remove something that Vanilla wants.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I'm having trouble logging in on PC. I get message that my request, sometimes the username sometimes the password, is invalid or malformed.

This occurs in both Brave and Firefox browsers. I tried rebooting computer. Then I tried each. No luck.
    I finally had to resort to Google Chrome as a last hope. It was still logged in.

I use ccleaner and sometimes Cleanup! especially after being on Facebook to remove the hooks that are left by those sites to track and garner info. That seems to remove something that Vanilla wants.

————————————————-
    So now you know what not to do. So your sites think vanilla is buggy, I think we found that out too. :'(

jmonroe
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,944
    Now here's a true sign of inflation: My local exotic car dealership's $199 nitrogen tire fill "special" has increased to $299! Should I rush right over and fill up before the price goes up again?
    Maybe I can get some VIN etching and a protection package while I'm there.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ventureventure Member Posts: 3,012
    When I went to nail shoe molding to the baseboard after the floor was finished, I discovered that my DeWalt finish nailer didn't work. It was the battery.

The cost of the battery was as much as buying a new nail gun.

I got a Ryobi gun since I have a bunch of batteries for other equipment that will fit.

Unreal!

2025 Forester Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

When I had a hernia operation they asked me in the OR what I was there for before they put me under. I believe they also write it on your wrist band or your body somewhere too.

IIRC the preop folks marked with a Sharpie type marker the proper side of my abdomen for my hernia repair.

IIRC the preop folks marked with a Sharpie type marker the proper side of my abdomen for my hernia repair.
    They are doing that a lot more these days. But they still leave scalpels and scissors inside people.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,533
    venture said:

When I went to nail shoe molding to the baseboard after the floor was finished, I discovered that my DeWalt finish nailer didn't work. It was the battery.

I got a Ryobi gun since I have a bunch of batteries for other equipment that will fit.

Unreal!

Several years ago I bought a Craftsman finish nailer, new in the box, at a store close out. I brought it home and never took it out of the box until 2 years ago. Set up the charger, put the battery in, and nada. The charger lit up but the battery was toast. I saw a tip online that if you gave it 12v for a few seconds you could revive it. I did, and it came back and took a charge that only lasted a few minutes. New Craftsman battery was in the same category as your DeWalt, more $ than the tool.

I also have a Black & Decker cordless drill. Discovered there is an adapter you can buy for short money that lets you use it in Craftsman tools. I got one and it worked great. Apparently Craftsman Li-I batteries are known garbage.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

It seems weird though, taking the battery out of your hedge trimmers and sticking it in your nail gun. :)

definitely the smart thing to do is pick one family of tools and stick with that so you can share the batteries. If I buy any more outdoor equipment it will be Ego since I already have a mower and weed wacker, so 2 batteries (different sizes). If I did not already own a beast of a gas powered snow blower I would have gotten an Ego one of those (if I got one at all).

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,574
    Yeah, I'm in the 20V Black & Decker camp. Weed whacker, blower, hedge trimmer, mini impact driver, drill, and reciprocating saw. Knowing what I know now, I'd rather be on the Milwaukee Fuel platform, but I'm kind of stuck now.

It's kind of like being in the Apple ecosystem vs. Windows/Android.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,574
    driver100 said:

They are doing that a lot more these days. But they still leave scalpels and scissors inside people.

I could go on a whole rant about the state of the medical system. I have a coworker whose brother is in his last days, and his local hospital has tried to transfer him to another facility (none of which will accept him because he's not an uncomplicated case), suggested she move him hundreds of miles away, threatened to throw him out on the street, etc... Coworker is the only thread preventing him from receiving even worse treatment. He is a Medicaid beneficiary.

My former law partner's sister recently passed. She had been in a facility for dementia for a while, broke her hip, had surgery, which at 89 years old did not go well. White blood count and blood sugar (I think) went out of control. They called him in to say goodbye, a priest came in to give her her last rites, and the hospital was still drawing blood for unspecified "tests." Why torture a dying person? She had Medicare but was private pay for the nursing facility and anything else she legitimately needed.
    venture said:

Unreal!

————————————————
    Maybe you should have bought another Dewalt nailer making sure it took the same battery as your old one but could take a different size nail. That way you could load both nailers with different size nails. Doing that you could do jobs that take different size nails and only have to swap out the battery.

We don’t have battery powered nailers (yet) but we have plenty of pneumatic powered nailers. Having 2 nailers ready to go at the same time (we have a 3-way splitter on the compressor) and use 3 air lines so we don’t have to swap out air lines to use different air tools. That especially saves time when installing door casing. We load one nailer with #8 finish nails for nailing the thick part of the casing where it meets the wall and a another nailer loaded with #6 finish nails for nailing the thinner edge of the casing where it meets the door jam.

I realize you’re not in the flip biz but any time you’re spending money to by another battery powered tool because the battery went bad in that tool, that tool is essentially lost (probably never to be used again). Therefore, for around the same money you could have 2 different tools ready to go by easily just swapping out the battery and not having to reload a multi-size nailer with a different size nail and/or doing both to complete a job. There is nothing wrong with saving time to get the job done equally well.

jmonroe
    ab348 said:

venture said:

Unreal!

Several years ago I bought a Craftsman finish nailer, new in the box, at a store close out. I brought it home and never took it out of the box until 2 years ago. Set up the charger, put the battery in, and nada. The charger lit up but the battery was toast. I saw a tip online that if you gave it 12v for a few seconds you could revive it. I did, and it came back and took a charge that only lasted a few minutes. New Craftsman battery was in the same category as your DeWalt, more $ than the tool.

I also have a Black & Decker cordless drill. Discovered there is an adapter you can buy for short money that lets you use it in Craftsman tools. I got one and it worked great. Apparently Craftsman Li-I batteries are known garbage.
    ————————————————
    There was a time I wouldn’t buy a tool if it didn’t have the Craftsman name on it. The tools were high quality and if you broke a hand tool just take it back and they would replace it free. Years ago I worked with a few guys that put a pipe on the end of combination wrenches and/or ratchet wrenches with sockets and broke them because of using the pipe. They took the broken part back to Sears and got a free replacement. I’m sure the guy at the store knew what they did but the Craftsman tool policy was “bring your broken tool back and get a free replacement. No questions asked”. Electric tools only had a year or two warranty but they were still good power tools. In fact I still have a couple to this day.

A few years before Sears went out of business I was with my youngest brother who bought something in the tool department. When we were at the checkout register I said to him, “I’m glad I see this tape measure here and that Craftsman still makes the same one. I broke mine so I’m going to get this one”. The guy at the register looks up and says, “if it’s broken bring it back for a free replacement”. I told him it was my fault that it broke because I left the blade extended when it was on the floor and as a result of my clumsiness I stepped on the blade and cracked it. He said, “if it has the Craftsman name on it bring it in and we’ll replace it even if was your fault. A tape measure is considered a hand tool by Craftsman so it’s guaranteed”. I was stunned that they would do that but they did. You can’t beat a warranty like that. Too bad they’re gone.

As for Black & Decker tools, at one time they were good tools. Today they are totally junk and I won’t go near a Black & Decker tool today.

jmonroe
    edited September 9
    I have a Makita drill, screwdriver and impact driver and go with EGO for OPE. I do have an old Kobalt string trimmer and a Worx "JawSaw" which is extremely useful.

edited September 9
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Unreal!

————————————————
    Maybe you should have bought another Dewalt nailer making sure it took the same battery as your old one but could take a different size nail. That way you could load both nailers with different size nails. Doing that you could do jobs that take different size nails and only have to swap out the battery.

We don’t have battery powered nailers (yet) but we have plenty of pneumatic powered nailers. Having 2 nailers ready to go at the same time (we have a 3-way splitter on the compressor) and use 3 air lines so we don’t have to swap out air lines to use different air tools. That especially saves time when installing door casing. We load one nailer with #8 finish nails for nailing the thick part of the casing where it meets the wall and a another nailer loaded with #6 finish nails for nailing the thinner edge of the casing where it meets the door jam.

I realize you’re not in the flip biz but any time you’re spending money to by another battery powered tool because the battery went bad in that tool, that tool is essentially lost (probably never to be used again). Therefore, for around the same money you could have 2 different tools ready to go by easily just swapping out the battery and not having to reload a multi-size nailer with a different size nail and/or doing both to complete a job. There is nothing wrong with saving time to get the job done equally well.

jmonroe
    Yeah. I get that, but I already have a pneumatic Paslode framing nailer. The batteries I already have will fit the new finish nailer. And you're right - the DeWalt nailer will probably fade to oblivion.

EDIT: DeWalt doesn't use the 18v battery anymore as I understand it. The newer 20 v battery will fit "some" of the older tools. but the 18v battery in your garage won't fit the newer 20v tools. After reading this for a while, I gave up and just bought the Ryobi.

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

venture said:

Unreal!

————————————————
    There was a time I wouldn’t buy a tool if it didn’t have the Craftsman name on it. The tools were high quality and if you broke a hand tool just take it back and they would replace it free. Years ago I worked with a few guys that put a pipe on the end of combination wrenches and/or ratchet wrenches with sockets and broke them because of using the pipe. They took the broken part back to Sears and got a free replacement. I’m sure the guy at the store knew what they did but the Craftsman tool policy was “bring your broken tool back and get a free replacement. No questions asked”. Electric tools only had a year or two warranty but they were still good power tools. In fact I still have a couple to this day.

A few years before Sears went out of business I was with my youngest brother who bought something in the tool department. When we were at the checkout register I said to him, “I’m glad I see this tape measure here and that Craftsman still makes the same one. I broke mine so I’m going to get this one”. The guy at the register looks up and says, “if it’s broken bring it back for a free replacement”. I told him it was my fault that it broke because I left the blade extended when it was on the floor and as a result of my clumsiness I stepped on the blade and cracked it. He said, “if it has the Craftsman name on it bring it in and we’ll replace it even if was your fault. A tape measure is considered a hand tool by Craftsman so it’s guaranteed”. I was stunned that they would do that but they did. You can’t beat a warranty like that. Too bad they’re gone.

As for Black & Decker tools, at one time they were good tools. Today they are totally junk and I won’t go near a Black & Decker tool today.

jmonroe
    A long, long time ago I worked at Sears in the tool department. One thing that we would not replace were drill bits, obviously.

One time a guy brought in half of a masonry bit and wanted it replaced. He didn't want to understand that drill bits were not covered. I asked him where the other half was and he said it was stuck in the concrete. I told him to bring in both halves and I would replace it. :p

He just chuckled.

I have been through a number of cordless setups. My previous favorite was the B&D 18v with the swappable heads. So one base tool and you just swap the top half. Have a drill, hammer drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, sander, cutting wheel, and some weird device for cutting metal (I think). That was fine for several years. After killing a second set of batteries, I decided it was time for a change. Went with Dewalt 20v MAX this time. The battery life is outstanding. The downside is full-sized tools rather than just swappable heads. Takes up a lot of space and costs quite a bit more. So far have the drill, hammer drill, angle grinder/polisher, and circular saw. Gotta get myself the ratchet one of these days.

qbrozen said:

I have been through a number of cordless setups. My previous favorite was the B&D 18v with the swappable heads. So one base tool and you just swap the top half. Have a drill, hammer drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, sander, cutting wheel, and some weird device for cutting metal (I think). That was fine for several years. After killing a second set of batteries, I decided it was time for a change. Went with Dewalt 20v MAX this time. The battery life is outstanding. The downside is full-sized tools rather than just swappable heads. Takes up a lot of space and costs quite a bit more. So far have the drill, hammer drill, angle grinder/polisher, and circular saw. Gotta get myself the ratchet one of these days.

Plus you can buy the tool only once you have a few batteries.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,745
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Unreal!

————————————————

jmonroe
    Yeah. I get that, but I already have a pneumatic Paslode framing nailer. The batteries I already have will fit the new finish nailer. And you're right - the DeWalt nailer will probably fade to oblivion.

EDIT: DeWalt doesn't use the 18v battery anymore as I understand it. The newer 20 v battery will fit "some" of the older tools. but the 18v battery in your garage won't fit the newer 20v tools. After reading this for a while, I gave up and just bought the Ryobi.
    The newer 20 v battery will fit "some" of the older tools. but the 18v battery in your garage won't fit the newer 20v tools

This is annoying when manufacturers do this. I've learned over the years that unless you are a professional tradesman or extremely skilled like @jmonroe , @jmonroe1 , @qbrozen , that the less expensive tool is all you need as a homeowner. I have a Dewalt corded reciprocating saw that I got for free as a promotion because I buy thousands of dollars in Lenox Sawzall Blades. I have a Ryobi corded circular saw which I use a handful of times a year. I bought a Milwaukee 20V drill which I like.

There is a company named METABO which used to make excellent power tools. They were German and I'm not sure if they've been bought out by one of the conglomerates by now. The salesman at the trade show explained to me that they used a thicker gauge copper internally for the wiring. Most companies market their grinders by AMPS (8 AMP, 11 AMP). That is the AMP they have while spinning freely. Once they hit whatever you are cutting, the power goes WAY down by close to 1/2. The METABO grinder is 8 AMPS all the way through.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 295
    Talk of the Sears warranty on tools reminded me of a story from 1970. A guy that worked at a scrap metal facility in Huntington WV came to an Army Reserve meeting with the trunk of his car loaded with broken Craftsman tools that had been replaced under warranty. He let people pick what they wanted to take to Sears to trade for new tools.
    I have a couple of old Dewalt tools, over 20 years old, that use 14.4 volt batteries.
    I have 1 original and 1 replacement battery that are still good.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,237

All you guys with your fancy stuff. I’m rocking ancient Ryobi One Plus with the newer lithium batteries (they didn’t have those when I got them). Perfect for my needs!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I have to post here so that when I come back I'll know where I left off.

driver100 said:

I have to post here so that when I come back I'll know where I left off.

Are you leaving for Florida already. Is that where you're going?