2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 248,778
    tjc78 said:

@graphicguy @kyfdx

Either of you been to the Buffalo Trace distillery? A buddy of mine wants to go and then bourbon hunt… worth the . trip from NJ?

I haven't been. But, just today, in Kansas City, a guy told me how much he loved his visit to Buffalo Trace. But, I'm not a bourbon guy..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,464

I liked the Buffalo Trace tour

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,237
    edited September 16

Thanks Guys! We would do some of the other distilleries as well.

A good friend of mine wants to go for a long weekend. He wants to do the tours and then try and hunt around for some allocated bottles and rare stuff.

If we were to go he will drop 5 figures easy for his collection. Here in NJ it’s not easy to get allocated bottles. The only way is pay to play essentially. You have to spend a good bit of coin in the stores to where they know you and then you’ll have access to the bottles everyone wants at just slightly over retail rather than the obnoxious secondary.

His collection is amazing. He has most of the BT stuff but also tons of other great bottles and store picks from the other brands.

I feel I buy too much - have about 50 bottles on hand between the two houses. He must have well over 500 between his two residences.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,833
    tjc78 said:

Thanks Guys! We would do some of the other distilleries as well.

A good friend of mine wants to go for a long weekend. He wants to do the tours and then try and hunt around for some allocated bottles and rare stuff.

If we were to go he will drop 5 figures easy for his collection. Here in NJ it’s not easy to get allocated bottles. The only way is pay to play essentially. You have to spend a good bit of coin in the stores to where they know you and then you’ll have access to the bottles everyone wants at just slightly over retail rather than the obnoxious secondary.

His collection is amazing. He has most of the BT stuff but also tons of other great bottles and store picks from the other brands.

I feel I buy too much - have about 50 bottles on hand between the two houses. He must have well over 500 between his two residences.

You can find some of the more rare bourbons at the little stores in and around the Bourbon Trail. Matter of fact, I've fond some really good bourbons at the smallest "hole in the wall" liquor stores in Bardstown, KY.

There's a distiller close to @kyfdx right across the Ohio River in Newport, KY called New Riff. The kicker, it's right next door to the biggest alcohol retailer I've ever come across called THE PARTY SOURCE. You can spend hours in that place looking for fairly rare bourbons (and tequila, and Gin, etc).
    2024 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD Long Range, 2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,655

Party Source is almost always a must do when we visit my sister.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

@graphicguy said:
    You can find some of the more rare bourbons at the little stores in and around the Bourbon Trail. Matter of fact, I've fond some really good bourbons at the smallest "hole in the wall" liquor stores in Bardstown, KY.

There's a distiller close to @kyfdx right across the Ohio River in Newport, KY called New Riff. The kicker, it's right next door to the biggest alcohol retailer I've ever come across called THE PARTY SOURCE. You can spend hours in that place looking for fairly rare bourbons (and tequila, and Gin, etc).

Good tips! I’ve had New Riff. Good stuff

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,164
    edited September 16
    On the Canadian consumer show Marketplace they found lots of problems when they tested EVs. It is about 25 minutes long;
    *The Tesla was supposed to have a range of 260 miles, the trip was 250 miles, once they started out the car informed them they would have to drive under 60 mph to reach their destination.
    *People found chargers didn't work. At one Tesla station a few chargers were down while being repaired, 4 cars were waiting for chargers.
    *One guy has a Hyundai that has been in the repair shop for over a year....it needed another battery and then other parts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=marketplace+ev+cars&oq=marketplace+about+ev+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCAgCEAAYFhgeMgYIABBFGDkyCAgBEAAYFhgeMggIAhAAGBYYHjIICAMQABgWGB4yCAgEEAAYFhgeMggIBRAAGBYYHjIICAYQABgWGB4yDQgHEAAYhgMYgAQYigUyCggIEAAYgAQYogQyCggJEAAYgAQYogTSAQoxNjU3NWowajE1qAIIsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:78e89dde,vid:0qztJdk8Cqk,st:0

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

On the Canadian consumer show Marketplace they found lots of problems when they tested EVs. It is about 25 minutes long;
    *The Tesla was supposed to have a range of 260 miles, the trip was 250 miles, once they started out the car informed them they would have to drive under 60 mph to reach their destination.
    *People found chargers didn't work. At one Tesla station a few chargers were down while being repaired, 4 cars were waiting for chargers.
    *One guy has a Hyundai that has been in the repair shop for over a year....it needed another battery and then other parts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=marketplace+ev+cars&oq=marketplace+about+ev+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCAgCEAAYFhgeMgYIABBFGDkyCAgBEAAYFhgeMggIAhAAGBYYHjIICAMQABgWGB4yCAgEEAAYFhgeMggIBRAAGBYYHjIICAYQABgWGB4yDQgHEAAYhgMYgAQYigUyCggIEAAYgAQYogQyCggJEAAYgAQYogTSAQoxNjU3NWowajE1qAIIsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:78e89dde,vid:0qztJdk8Cqk,st:0

Oh...that last one is a "no question" lemon law filing. That one wouldn't take that long, either. Case would be set up and the mediator would take one look at how long it had been in the shop awaiting parts, and it would be a slam dunk. I can't even fathom what kind of dollar amount the arbitrator would add on top of ordering an immediate buyback.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,774
    Does Canada have a Lemon Law?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 51,442

I have the worst luck in the world. In what is normally a wet period, we are now having a record setting drought. Even the rain predicted this week is fizzling out and nothing until maybe late next week. Potentially looking at 3 weeks straight with zero rain. All because I had my lawn seeded in what was supposed to be the best time for it. Looks like my few scraggly grass shoots will just wither and die before Mother Nature decides to help out. I already have a full time job. Dragging sprinklers all over trying to keep this grass alive is the 2nd one I did t need.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 17,071
    And, yet, I'm sure if I drive by I'll see you doing just that! Keep fighting the good fight, stick!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford F250 Lariat D, 1976 Ford F250, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100

driver100 said:

Oh...that last one is a "no question" lemon law filing. That one wouldn't take that long, either. Case would be set up and the mediator would take one look at how long it had been in the shop awaiting parts, and it would be a slam dunk. I can't even fathom what kind of dollar amount the arbitrator would add on top of ordering an immediate buyback.
    and @explorerx4

ANSWER: No, Canada does not currently have a federal lemon law. The closest existing consumer protection is the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP), which provides arbitration between consumers and manufacturers to resolve disputes over defects.

You have to file mountains of papers in order for them to consider whether your car was defective. But, it sounds like the guy wanted his car back, he also wanted compensation for any gas he had used, he had a stack of receipts....good luck with that.
    I wonder if the warranty is over when he gets his car back after over one year.

@stickguy said:
    I have the worst luck in the world. In what is normally a wet period, we are now having a record setting drought. Even the rain predicted this week is fizzling out and nothing until maybe late next week. Potentially looking at 3 weeks straight with zero rain. All because I had my lawn seeded in what was supposed to be the best time for it. Looks like my few scraggly grass shoots will just wither and die before Mother Nature decides to help out. I already have a full time job. Dragging sprinklers all over trying to keep this grass alive is the 2nd one I did t need.

That really sucks!! My back lawn is having trouble staying lush and green with water every other day. Shouldn’t be like this in late Sept

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,944
    Just back from a week in the SF area. Seems like every fourth car was electric, mostly Tesla (3 and Y), with at least one of each from all the other manufactures (yes, even a Lucid!).
    And, get this, they were all running and none were on fire!

Even more amazing, a few blocks from my son-in-law's home is a luxury dealer (McLaren, Maserati & Bentley new). As I wandered the small lot, clutching my diet soda from Jack in the Box, a salesperson approached me, and we discussed cars for 10 minutes (his current whip is a '20 M4 he told me. And seemed intrigued that there was an Audi A7 PHEV, he previously sold Audis and wasn't aware. Needless to say, he/we are big German car fans)! He then invited me into the showroom. Boy, he must really have had nothing to do as I tend to get ignored when I visit dealerships. Of course, I giggled the whole time in the showroom, perhaps the reason I rarely get attention...

Watched a couple taking delivery of their new Aston Martin DB12 Volante (convertible), he dressed in black from top to bottom, including a Bentley hat; she looking a bit more hippie in a long jean skirt. My request for them to adopt me went unheeded.

There was an AM Vantage Volante in service area, license plate "007ROAR."

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

and @explorerx4

ANSWER: No, Canada does not currently have a federal lemon law. The closest existing consumer protection is the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP), which provides arbitration between consumers and manufacturers to resolve disputes over defects.

You have to file mountains of papers in order for them to consider whether your car was defective. But, it sounds like the guy wanted his car back, he also wanted compensation for any gas he had used, he had a stack of receipts....good luck with that.
    Sounds similar to the Better Business Bureau here in the U.S. They act as the mediator between, at least, General Motors and the consumer. Their arbitration is binding for GM but not for the consumer. The consumer can either accept the BBB's arbitration decision, or reject it and pursue legal remedies.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 8,171
    stickguy said:

————————————————
    Why don’t you buy more sprinklers and hoses? Then connect them to a timer. That’s what we did with a couple flips and we never had a problem.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

Yes, but you can only collect 77 cents. :#

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Stickguy should have had a sprinkler system put in, that way your big decision for the next cycle is On or Off?
    I have a 2 water meter setup with a dedicated line for the spinkler system.
    The city rebates the sewer charge on the dedicated sprinkler line.
    Cost for the 2nd water meter was $400 and I negotiated the plumbing for the line with the landscaping company that installed the sprinker system, patio and turf.

Stickguy should have had a sprinkler system put in, that way your big decision for the next cycle is On or Off?
    I have a 2 water meter setup with a dedicated line for the spinkler system.
    The city rebates the sewer charge on the dedicated sprinkler line.
    Cost for the 2nd water meter was $400 and I negotiated the plumbing for the line with the landscaping company that installed the sprinker system, patio and turf.

————————————————
    When I lived in SC I had a sprinkler system but not a separate meter. The town knew I had a sprinkler system because they noted it on the occupancy permit. When I asked the inspector why he listed it he said it was to save me sewage charges during the watering season. IIRC, they discounted the sewage charge by about 20% for those months. I thought that was fair.

jmonroe

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

and @explorerx4

Sounds similar to the Better Business Bureau here in the U.S. They act as the mediator between, at least, General Motors and the consumer. Their arbitration is binding for GM but not for the consumer. The consumer can either accept the BBB's arbitration decision, or reject it and pursue legal remedies.
    BBB doesn't act on the consumers behalf, they collect fees from the manufacturer. Probably a waste of time. In the case of this Hyundai owner, he could go to court I suppose but it will cost more than the car is worth. Hyundai Canada leaves him hanging, he has to hope the dealer comes through. I think Hyundai makes good cars these days, the dealers I wouldn't trust after the experience I had taking my brother's car in for cash.

@jmonroe1,
    I get rebated all the sewer charges that go through the spinkler water meter.
    It can be a significant number.
    It didn't take me long to figure it out.
    My sewer charge for a month without the 2nd meter hooked up was $304.
    After I got it installed, for the close to the same water usage 4500 before/4400 after was $39.

@jmonroe1,
    I get rebated all the sewer charges that go through the spinkler water meter.
    It can be a significant number.
    It didn't take me long to figure it out.
    My sewer charge for a month without the 2nd meter hooked up was $304.
    After I got it installed, for the close to the same water usage 4500 before/4400 after was $39.

————————————————
    How could your sewage charge for a month be $304? My water bill WITH sewage, for a month, has been averaging around $85.

jmonroe
    @jmonroe1,
    Before I got the sprinkler system installed, I was paying between 66 and 90 dollars a month for water, sewer and trash collection.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 23,229
    edited September 16
    stickguy said:

Get a Rain Train like I told you.😤

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Traveling-Sprinkler-RainTrain-818653-1001/dp/B00002N6AN

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————
    Why don’t you buy more sprinklers and hoses? Then connect them to a timer. That’s what we did with a couple flips and we never had a problem.

jmonroe
    my neighbor has one of those, and hoses and sprinklers all over the lawn. He is spending a fortune to water his crab grass.

Mostly I already spent enough on new hoses and sprinklers, I did not feel like spending $100s more on doubling the total and whatever the 2 head units would cost. so I have my 4 hoses and sprinklers set up (splitters at the faucet to make it easier switching) and just go out and move them around and do the edges and nooks and crannies with a hannu

stickguy said:

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Traveling-Sprinkler-RainTrain-818653-1001/dp/B00002N6AN
    how the heck does that thing work? Do you have to hook up 300' of hose that it runs on and drags around the yard? or is there some kind of track you lay out that stays in place while it drags the hose?

I actually had the sprinkler guy out today for an estimate. too late to help me know since they can't install until the lawn is established. I was not planning on putting one in (or unsure) so did not look into it before they did the landscaping. Normally they coordinate with the builder to have them do all the grading and landscape installation, then give the sprinkler people a day to do their part, then come and spray seed. That would have been much more efficient!

our sewer charge is fixed rate. Nothing to do with the water usage. Can't wait to see that bill the way I am pumping water into the sand out there.

edited September 16
    stickguy said:

stickguy said:

how the heck does that thing work? Do you have to hook up 300' of hose that it runs on and drags around the yard? or is there some kind of track you lay out that stays in place while it drags the hose?
    Water pressure spins the sprinkler arms and the rotational movement turns a gear connected to the wheels. You place the front wheel on the hose and that acts as a track for the machine to follow. If you look at the picture you’ll see a little yellow plastic stopper that turns off a switch automatically when the Train runs over it at the end of your desired run.

It’s a pretty clever little gizmo.

I watered 5000 mums with them for 30 years.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

so it moves very slowly, and just makes one pass? My big side yard could be done with one of those but I would need a really long hose to go down and back!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,356
    Doing a little work on the Cruze. Replacing the cabin air filter.
    Ordered an ACDelco version from Amazon. Got here today.
    Used. Full of dirt. And actually the top layer was rotted away--the
    filter material looks to be multilayer.
    Someone put their old filter in and returned it for credit as if it were the new one.
    Amazon or shipper never checked inside the box to see the torn plastic
    and the decades old filter inside.

A friend of my wife got a tablecloth last week from Amazon and the package
    they delivered to her was empty. Someone, somewhere got her halloween
    themed tablecloth.

Things are getting back economically out here in the real world since
    people are doing all these things to cheat Amazon. Tonight, I was
    at the local big grocery, and the local police came in and met the uniformed
    security guard. The police walked the whole store looking for someone,
    but apparently didn't find who they were looking for.
    I didn't know whether to stay or leave when I saw them walking in.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,745

@explorerx4 said:

Yes. They call it the LemonEHd law

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,574
    stickguy said:

I have the worst luck in the world. In what is normally a wet period, we are now having a record setting drought.

Do what I did--spend a day moving a crummy oscillating sprinkler around your yard, and it will rain the very next day.
    I have spent hours every day for the last week moving them around my big yard. I am really over it. even worse, I finally have grass sprouting, so now I can't let it get dry for a minute or I will lose it!

Someone put their old filter in and returned it for credit as if it were the new one.

people are doing all these things to cheat Amazon

I haven't had those problems but Amazon has always fixed anything that goes wrong...which isn't very often. Most items that get returned don't go back into stock.
    They had a segment on the news here saying that stealing, robberies, and attacking store staff is really on the rise. One grocery store chain is going to have employees wear cameras.
    It seems a lot of people are getting desperate.

driver100 said:

people are doing all these things to cheat Amazon

I haven't had those problems but Amazon has always fixed anything that goes wrong...which isn't very often. Most items that get returned don't go back into stock.
    They had a segment on the news here saying that stealing, robberies, and attacking store staff is really on the rise. One grocery store chain is going to have employees wear cameras.
    It seems a lot of people are getting desperate.

Don’t rule out theft by Amazon employees themselves.

We have an auxiliary meter which measures the water going to the sprinklers. We’d report the numbers, then get a rebate from the sanitation district.

But, about 10 years ago, they decided to base sewer charges on the winter quarter of water usage, year round. So, no reporting necessary.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ventureventure Member Posts: 3,012
    stickguy said:

I have spent hours every day for the last week moving them around my big yard. I am really over it. even worse, I finally have grass sprouting, so now I can't let it get dry for a minute or I will lose it!

I put 200 pounds of grass seed, plus fertilizer, on my outfield. It was supposed to rain the following weekend. I'm still waiting. I don't expect much of it to survive.

I have sprinklers for the infield. That part is lush.

2025 Forester Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

edited September 17

Now there is a chance in about a week it might shift to a rainy pattern. Hopefully I can keep the new sprouts alive until then. If so it should turn into a carpet pretty quick.

edited September 17

Stickguy
    Just think about how many mowing runs you're not having to do on other grass and on new because it's so dry.
    I don't think I have mowed mine in 3 weeks.

I looked at all that water in Caroline Beach and thought how we could use some of that here in our drought area w. Ohio.

Stickguy

Just think about how many mowing runs you're not having to do on other grass and on new because it's so dry.

I don't think I have mowed mine in 3 weeks.

I looked at all that water in Caroline Beach and thought how we could use some of that here in our drought area w. Ohio.

There’s really no flood or drought, just unequal distribution.

On the year above average. In September way below.

I don’t have a water problem I have a timing problem.

Now they are saying maybe a week from now. Who knows. Until they I spend the first 2 hours every morning running the equipment around!

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 623
    edited September 17
    @stickguy
    What's a sprinkler :)
    I've always had a well and septic until I moved here and wouldn't waste the water. Now I pump out of Lake Champlain, but still don't sprinkle.
    I have never watered and it always seems to come up. If I were you I'd wait until Spring and see how it is. Then feed it with basic fertilizer (without per-emergent) the first year. Any dormant seeds will probably sprout.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

It’s sprouting now. In about 3 weeks will put down another round of starter fertilizer (no weed control, just food!). Over the rest of the fall and a bit in the winter it will continue to get established. In the spring will get feed and crab grass control. Hopefully all the seed that is going to germinate has by then.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

and @explorerx4

BBB doesn't act on the consumers behalf, they collect fees from the manufacturer. Probably a waste of time. In the case of this Hyundai owner, he could go to court I suppose but it will cost more than the car is worth. Hyundai Canada leaves him hanging, he has to hope the dealer comes through. I think Hyundai makes good cars these days, the dealers I wouldn't trust after the experience I had taking my brother's car in for cash.
    True. BBB is "hired" by the manufacturers. But, they are independent when it comes to mediation (allegedly). When I went through my Cadillac buy back, I recall walking out to my car so the arbitrator could inspect it before writing up his decision on whether GM had to buy back the car. It was the arbitrator, a BBB administrator (who took notes during the hearing) the GM Regional Manager, a GM lawyer and me. The GM people were making friendly small talk, joking around with me as we walked to the parking lot. Finally, as the BBB Admin and I got caught at a crosswalk while the others went on ahead to the parking lot, the admin casually mentioned to me to remember the GM people are going to present me in a poor light, as they do to everyone who says GM sold them a lemon, when the hearing began back at the BBB offices.

I kept my distance and resisted talking to them unless asked a direct question the rest of the procedures.
    driver100 said:

Amazon has been excellent on taking returns from my own purchases occasionally
    AND taking many returns from my wife's purchases. Clothing is big now that she boycotts
    Lands End and she can only shop online due to her lack of mobility. Lots of returns.
    Most are a QR code and take item to local UPS (1/2 mi) and they put it in a plastic bag
    and stick on the return label they print. Gosh, it couldn't be easier.

I want to purchase a sound bar for my TV and likely will return one. I know they track your returns.

Oh, I had just returned two junk Chinese filters that I ordered for the cabins and ordered the
    AC Delco I should have just ordered at more than double the price. The first ones were like
    getting a 100K mi Yugo when expecting a Buick base model. Now I purchased the MB of
    filter which is multilayer. The other AC Delco filters have fiberglass base and are stiffer. Have to read the rockauto.com descriptions carefully to figure that out.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,506

I have the same one. Works great!

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Use Wet and Forget on the algae side. It will keep it from coming back, and in the spring it will remove any that's already up there.
    I've used it on my sidewalk and roof. They have versions for mixing for each.

edited September 17
    @Venture What brand of washer is that?