Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you purchased a new car in the last year and had it delivered to your home/office from a dealership? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you about it. Please reach out to [email protected] by end of day Sunday, December 9, and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Vacation Travel Plans, Suggestions, Advice

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    If I had time and money, I'd fly down in a NY minute. I'd be a bit reluctant to hit some of the border towns but even then, the stories are likely overblown to sell papers. I got pickpocketed trying to get on the subway in Mexico City one time, but I had a bigger hassle when my car was broken into in St. Louis at the Arch years ago.

That trip wasn't a total loss though - I got to see Priscilla Presley at the Arch. Woo Hoo. :P She was too claustrophobic to go up in the tram. The museum in the base of the Arch is terrific btw.

My wife is a native of San Diego, so I always got good tours there by locals. Then all her relatives moved away, darn it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 62,369
    It didn't score too well in Travel and Leisure's "America's Favorite Cities" Poll for 2008. Boston won last year.

But there were LOTS of categories and SD did well for weather and cleanliness.

I think it's a popular city for families traveling together, which is a form of vacation rather outside my lifestyle these days.

New Orleans rated as the least clean city and one of the least attractive for a family vacation.

Dallas scored pretty badly in just about all categories except "affordability".

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    I've taken the tram ride to the top of the St. Louis arch. Neat! Didn't get to see Priscilla, though.

You may be right about the safety issue in Mexico, but the news reports, right or wrong, shape perceptions. I imagine many parts of Mexico are reasonably safe, while the border towns and Mexico City have elevated risk. I'd take a chance on Guadalajara, which I'd love to visit, and Cancun. I was in Cancun briefly several years ago, and Acapulco many years ago.
    I've been to Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City, and they''re all really nice, interesting cities to visit.
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,357
    For cities I've been to my tops in North America would be San Francisco, Boston, Chicago and Vancouver. Might throw San Antonio in there as well.

That said there's loads of probably great cities that I just haven't gotten to yet.

New York is one of my "familiarity breeds contempt" cities.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
    There is that "we have the best of everything" syndrome in NY which can get on your nerves. Like nobody else in the world can dance, play music, sing, make art or pull together in emergencies. It's as provincial as a small town in Iowa sometimes.

Also, while it is great fun there, you do have to sharpen your elbows. There's always someone lookin' for that little edge.

I was born and raised there, so I feel qualified to pontificate on this subject :P

The La Jolla crowd is more of a Condé Nast Traveler reader. :P SD is #9 on their reader's poll of '08 best US cities. (link)

Boston didn't make the cut. Toronta did, which suprised me a little. I'd rank it behind, oh, Edmonton or St. John's for a tourist to Canada.
    Well, # 9 out of 10 is better than last place! And SD had the same rank as Hanoi, so that's something. :P

What am I missing about Charleston SC.? Aren't they a bunch of troublemakers?

I'd put Rome over Florence anyday, but I agree with Cape Town being a fabulous city to visit.

Not sure why Carmel made the list...pretty and all that but how many teddy bear stores can you bear?

Charleston? Dunno, I'm partial to Savannah. The Pirate's House, Johnny Harris BBQ, etc. Too bad Williams' burned down a few months before I got over to Tybee.

I got a watch in Carmel. Still ticking although I may only wear a watch once every year or two. Found it on the beach. I don't remember any good food there. :shades:

I'll have to add Hanoi and Cape Town to my list.

I'm expecting road trip company next week - makes me jealous. We'll be a stopover for their PA to Fairbanks excursion.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 100,018
    When I went to the Arch, I didn't see Priscilla, either..

I did see Kirstie, though! :)

We have a family vacation, next month.. Thinking about going to Baltimore. (main reason: non-stop airfare for $100/ea. R/T).

Any thoughts on Baltimore?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 100,018
    We've done day trips to both Charleston and Savannah (while vacationing in Hilton Head). Of the two, I think Savannah is a little more interesting..

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It's worth $100 just to get some crab cakes. :-)

I wonder if the Food Network has a travel agency....
    You can hang out at the Inner Harbor--there's also an aquarium and a science center and I think you can hire a water taxi to motor around, which is fun.

Most of the tourist attractions in Baltimore, such as the wonderful aquarium, are in and near the Inner Harbor. Of course, Baltimore is only one hour from either Washington or Annapolis, so there's plenty to see and do in the general area.
    Sorry for the similarity between Shifty's suggestions and mine, but I hadn't read Shifty's message before writing mine.
    Yes but you did a better job :P I was only trying to redeem myself for having bashed San Diego.

Speaking of Carmel----if you want to stay at one of the best camping spots in the world, try Kirk Creek in Big Sur. There's also the Henry Miller Museum nearby, a most eccentric little shack filled with Miller memorabilia, and if you're tired of camping you can book the Director's House at the Asilomar Conference Center---sleeps six, right near the beach for $300 a night, with kitchen, fireplace and nearby recreation center--and you can walk along a boardwalk all the way to Spanish Bay and even beyond--miles and miles and miles. Or rent a bike there and do it that way.

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    My wife and I will visit Chicago for ten days next October, mixing work with diversion. Which places should we don't miss? — Inclusive of restaurants, bars, jazz-clubs, theaters, museums, streets/buildings, sightseer spots, whichever. :shades:

As well, to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, we've planned touring through South Africa next August. Most of the urban time there will be spent in Cape Town. Mr. Shiftright, you mentioned Cape Town recently. Any special advice for us to follow?

Regards,
    Jose

PS: In NYC there is an interesting but not well known museum in the premises of the Hispanic Society of America:
    hispanicsociety
    wikipedia
    I haven't been to Capetown since year 2000, so I can't say too much. You can consult here:

Southafrica.net

I think due to recent currency drops, the place is actually affordable once again (used to be very $$$). There's a botanical garden that's quite something, and hiking on Table Mountain. You can go horsebacking riding at Noordhoek Beach and get a fabulous lunch at Noordhoek's Food Barn. There's also a wine route you can tour. It's really beautiful there if you are a nature lover. As they say "Part Alaska, part Big Sur".

• fintailfintail Posts: 46,245
    Has anyone been to the Schlumpf museum before, and if so, could a basic overview be done in 3 hours? I am afraid I might not be able to spare much more time than that, or my tight itinerary will be messed up :sick:

Also, any tricks for being able to get a specific car from a rental agency? Maybe call a few days ahead and arrange for one to be there?
    Off to the Sierra and the beach. Pismo. :shades:
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,437
    Nice, enjoy!

boomchek: driven 10,000+ cars, sold 1000+ cars, owned 50+ cars

We beat the rush and went to Yellowstone and the Tetons last weekend for 3 days. Hit a great stretch of weather which made for good camping. Saw a lot of critters and the geyser basins are always fun. Coming back on a long forest service road near Shoup Idaho was the highlight though. Great country over that way.

So what road trips do you have planned for this summer?
    Since we're limited with how long we can be on the road because of our 7 month old son, we'll take a drive down south to Mt St Helens which is about 3 hours drive from us. I've never been there and this year is the mountain's eruption 30 year anniversary so I thought it might be an interesting day trip.

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I've never been there and this year is the mountain's eruption 30 year anniversary so I thought it might be an interesting day trip.

The 30 year anniversary was actually yesterday (18 May).

No road trips planned for us this year, though the wife has to travel to south central Colorado for a week towards the end of June.
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,505
    edited May 2010
    Have a trip planned for Panama City Beach this coming July. Nobody seems to know where this oil slick will be moving. The ruptured well continues to spew thousands of gallons a day with no end in sight. This ain't good on so many different levels. :sick:
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    From Vancouver to Mt. St Helens is longer than 6 hours. From Mile Marker 49 on I-5 to the Observation Center is one hour. Castle Rock is 2 plus hours from Seattle and you know how long it takes for you to get there.

Hope you can make the trip on a very clear day because the mountain doesn't come out frequently. 98649 is the nearest ZIP code for getting the latest weather report.

Enjoy your trip,
    Euphonium
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    Re: Mt. St. Helens - you might find this website of help to you. :)

http://www.tdn.com/app/helens/
    Have a trip planned for Panama City

Always liked that part of Florida, although I usually stayed over in Destin. Besides the tar balls, it'd be a major bummer is more of the fishing gets shut down and you can't get fresh seafood down there. Hopefully the mud they're injecting will plug the well soon.
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,357
    That's such a beautiful area. I used to go over to St. George Island. I can't imagine what that would be like if the oil hits there.

Ironic thing - they are now worried about our oil hitting Cuba. I'd just always assumed it would be the other way around.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
    Thanks for the link and the tips. I google mapped it and it said it should take 5 hours to get there. We'll try to get out there sometime this spring or summer.