Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape

Comments

• bayside1bayside1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2001 Ford Escape XLT V6 automatic 4X4 that has been in the shop 3 times because you can smell gas in the car. I have only had for 3 weeks.
    On 1st visit they replaced lower manifold gaskets.
    On 2nd visit they reprogrammed the PCM
    I can still smell gas in car
    Today is the 3rd visit.
    You should also know that I had a 2000 Ford Taurus with the same gas smell in the car that could not be resolved. I filed a complaint with the Dispute Settlement Board and For had to buy back the Taurus.
    My advice to anyone who wants to buy a Taurus or Escape find something else. Go to the national transportation boards web site at www.nhtsa.dot.gov and look at the problems listed!
    To those of you who are waiting for the Escape run the other way and count your blessing. I have a nightmare.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I have a friend who had a late 60's Shelby GT350 with the same thing. It was coming in around the seals in the trunk.

Apparently Ford has no sense of smell still.
  • k9cop1k9cop1 Member Posts: 78
    I received a call from my salesperson today & was informed that my Escape would be built on April 02 & delivered on on April 30th!
    I mentioned that I had ordered the vehicle on Jan 14th & asked what was the delay.
    The manager got on the phone & said there was a 3 week "materials" delay that he had just found out about & apologized for the delay.
    Anybody have a shovel??!!
    At least all the recalls & TSB's should be taken care of by now!
    Does anybody out there know about a "material" delay in relation to Escapes? I live in New York.
    Dave
  • cugolfncugolfn Member Posts: 28
    I ordered my Escape on January 24th and just picked it up on Thursday, March 29th. In other words, I ordered my Escape after you and got it before you.

I just read a post over at Yahoo and someone said that some dealers wait until they have alot of orders before placing them with the factory. This may have been the case with your dealer. Escapes are rolling of the assembly line like crazy and most people are getting them in 6-8 weeks.

Soooooo, You need a really BIG shovel!

If you have a build date of 4-2-01 you could start looking for it around the 4-23-01.

P.S. I LOVE MY NEW T-RED, XLT, 4X4, LEATHER, MOON ROOF, SIDE STEP BAR, PRIVACY GLASS ESCAPE!!
  • melissacatmelissacat Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of trading my 96 Camry with 72,000+ miles for an Escape. The dealership is ordering the one I want (it will be here in 5 weeks) but I have no obligation to buy... Now I am nervous hearing some of the problems with it. I am also wondering if I am getting a "good deal" on the Escape? Any way to really know what my trade is worth? Should I visit a few different dealerships to get prices? Never bought a car on my own, and I am SOOO nervous!!!
  • k9cop1k9cop1 Member Posts: 78
    I spoke with my salesman yesterday & he backs up your suspicion. He let slip that FORD confirmed receipt of the order on Jan. 24th, which cost me an additional 2 weeks on top. He alluded that other customers are waiting for Escapes with the same delivery date!
    Thanks for the help w/ Yahoo. When are you gonna post pictures for me to drool over! LOL
    Dave
    Hey,
    I am have the featured Escape this week! Got a picture of my baby if front of the Mousehouse! Go take a look. It is so beautiful.!

Tony
    (cheesehauler)
    Mellisa,
    I just got rid of my 1998 Camry to get a Ford Escape. I looked at alot of "cute-utes" and decided that the Escape was the best in class. Yes, there may be some bugs to work out. But if you need a mini-suv this is the one for you! If you only want it for driving around town I would suggest the RAV 4 or a CR-V.

You have to weigh the good and the bad against your needs and your wants. My favorite example here is the Honda Odyssey. Quit possibly the best built mini van ever. People are buying them up like hotcakes because they are built so well and preform well in crash tests. (Don't believe me? Just try to buy one!)
    So people are getting these Hondas home and finding out that they are smaller than a Windstar, Caravan or Venture! Once they put the kids and the dog in the Van there is not alot of room left for stuff!
    What I am trying to say is if your need require the Escape for, say, towing ability (3500 lbs with the V6), don't buy a Rav4! On the other hand, if you do not care about towing, ground clearance, HP or payload then go with what makes you happy.

Sorry about rambling on and on and on. I hope this makes some sence.

Tony
    Lovin' my Escape so I guess I could be bias!! :-)
  • msdfyedmsdfyed Member Posts: 15
    After 2 grueling weeks of fighting with my dealer, they finally ordered my new Escape ( after complaining to the BBB and Ford) I only hope it gets here soon and I have no problem!
  • msdfyedmsdfyed Member Posts: 15
    BE WARY! I too just ordered my Escape With "NO obligation to buy" Did you leave any money? I tried to call and say I changed my mind about which model I ordered and had so many porblems I almost ended up with a lawsuit against them! NOt only did the salesman tell me my deposit was refundable and changeable, but the leasing manager did too.......The salesman who told me that was fired! BE CAREFUL!
  • rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    To maximize your trade-in allowance, do all your appraisal work *before* you tell the dealer that you are eligible for the X-plan. They'll give you more for your trade if they think you're going to work off of the MSRP.

Of course, you also take the chance that when you tell them you want the X-plan price after getting a good trade allowance, they'll just say "No", and you've just wasted all that time getting a good price for your trade.

But I think it's worth the chance. It's how I got a decent price for my trade.
  • melissacatmelissacat Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how reliable the "kelly blue book" web site is? Are the values pretty close to what a car is actually worth? I want to have an idea about my trade-in value when I go in for my "final offer" to (hopefully) buy an Escape!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have my own opinion about this, but perhaps it's better if you peruse other member's posts in Edmunds vs. Kelly's :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    Kelly's is notoriously high/over inflated. If you use the KBB prices, make sure you click on "poor" when you get to the condition of your vehicle, even if it's in pristine condition. If you walk into a dealer expecting to get a KBB trade in vlaue for your carm they're gonna laugh til they die. Dealers typically will pay wholesale for a trade in. Example: you bought $20K car last year and now want to trade it in. The dealer will give you about $13K to $14K for it. WHy, that's what it's worth wholesale. Places like Carmax (if you have one near you) will give you more for your trade than any dealer will. Just my .02
  • lbohincelbohince Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2001 Escape in January. Within the first 2000 miles we had to have the transmission replaced. We were very disappointed..the dealer had our car for 2 1/2 weeks. We have also noticed that there is now a smell of gas in the interior every time we turn on the vehicle. It comes through the air vents. I don't think this is normal but we are not sure what the problem is.
    There is a fix for the smell. They replace the gasket set. It is not on all Escapes but those that get the smell will get the free fix. From what I have heard it is a one day fix. I am sure that someone here or at the the Ford Escape Club on Yahoo can give you the actual TSB #.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thefordescapeclub

Tony

• pbroomepbroome Member Posts: 1
    I had my Escape since January, fully loaded very nice, but a couple of weeks later my husband noticed that the muffler was completely rusty I was so disappointed I went back to the dealer and they replaced it with no problem. Every other Escape on the lot had a rust ring beginning where the pipe enters the exhaust. I reported the problem to Ford's Corporate Office so they could be aware of yet another issue.
    The other things I dislike about my Escape:
    the gear shift blocks my radio dial
    too much wind noise on highway
    overdrive is automatically on when I start the truck I have to push the bottom in to turn it off
    Is the overdrive suppose to be on all the time?
    I wish I would have never bought a Ford.
    I am sure they have that to keep gas mileage up.

Why not use it?
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    TSB # 01-4-3. Take this # to your dealer...if he doesn't have it..Tell him to punch it up on his computer link to FORD. I did this, they ordered the new type fluorocarbon gaskets {six} replaced same...and no more fuel smell...the manifold bolts have to torqued properly...this is imperative.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    The overdrive on every vehicle I've ever owned is on when you start the car. You're supposed to leave it on and drive with it on. Turn it off if the tranny is "hunting" for a gear, like when you are driving in the mountains. Also turn it off if you tow anything heavy. It'll burn up the overdrive. Other than that, just leave it in OD for normal, city/highway driving.
  • missymillomissymillo Member Posts: 2
    How do you find out what other companies besides the eea are partners with Ford to obtain X Plan pricing?

Also, my company is a member of the UBS(United Buying service. The cost of an Escape XLT loaded is 24,199 how will this compare to the X Plan? Please help:(
    Sorry you are so disgusted with your Ford product. If it makes you feel any better I have had Fords, Pontiacs, Chevys, Dodge, Nissan and Toyota products. I can list things that I disliked or were wrong with all of them! It sounds to me like you were afraid to buy a Ford in the first place. Here are some possible solutions to your problems.

1) Gear Shift. I am 5'10" tall and the gear shift does not block my access to the radio dial. Try raising your seat a little.

2) There are two possible reasons for wind Noise! If you have wind noise take your Escape to your dealer and have him check a)the seals around the drivers door and I) insure the roof rack cross bars are installed correctly. My Escape has NO wind noise at all. I do however have road noise from the tires. No worse than Camry!

3) The Only time you would want the Overdrive off is if you are towing something ... Up Hill! Keep that overdrive on! You will find that you will get better gas mileage too!

If your dealers service department will not help you with your concerns GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Tony
  • keyskennedykeyskennedy Member Posts: 2
    I have a loaded XLT that I am very happywith. Only problem was condensation inone headlamp....dealer fixed it.The Escape is the best mini-umini-Uteemarket not only in performance, but indollar value....I only have 3700 miles on my Escape. Ihope I feel the same way when it has37000 miles on it.Tom
  • gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    I went to my local Ford dealership and test drove a 4x2 XLT so I could redeem my $50 webcertificate. I told the dealer up front that I was not ready to buy but he spent quite a bit of time with me. I was pretty impressed with the way the vehicle handled. It definitely has plenty of power. I made a point to take it on the highway so I could get it up to 60 mph and listen for the famous wind noise. Maybe I'm used to my noisy Jeep but I didn't notice anything unusual. I did notice that the engine is kind of loud at high rpms, but not that bad. It had good interior space and I liked the fabric on the seats. The dealer was also able to show me a Hyundai Santa Fe literally side-by-side with the Escape. Unfortunately I was not able to test drive the Santa Fe because it had just come off the truck and had not been preped yet. They both seemed like good vehicles and comparable in many ways. The Escape seemed a little less "plastic" and more spacious. I LOVED the in-dash 6 CD audio system. The Santa Fe was considerably less expensive, had a better warranty and more neat little features (hybrid automatic/manual shifter, center arm rest for the back seat, more storage cubbies, etc). The dealer said they can't keep Santa Fe's on the lot. He said the Escape had been difficult to get but sales are slowing and they currently had 6 on hand. Overall I liked both vehicles and was pleasantly surprised by the time the salesperson spent with me.
  • cdgonzoscdgonzos Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking for a new car and have narrowed my choices to either the Escape or the Tribute -- they seem to offer the most bang for the buck. But I've been following Edmunds extended test of the Tribute and they're getting REALLY BAD gas mileage. Are the Edmunds testers lead foots (lead feet?) or what? I live in the San Fernando Valley so the kind of driving they do is the kind I'd expect to do. I had an Explorer for a while & (EPA 15/19 mpg) and I averaged 16 MPG in that. I'd need to get 20 mpg during my normal driving -- that's my cutoff. The 4 cylinder gets 23/28 mpg; why is the v6 so much more thirsty?

I guess my question for current owners is: What sort of gas mileage are you getting?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    last night to give the Escape another go in its V6 XLT form. None on the lot! The dealer says they sell them as fast as they get them. Even the 4cyl models are selling. He even had 8 on back order and offered to order me one at $250 over invoice. He was expecting 3 of the 8 on back order in next week with a shipment of 4 more. This just shores up what I am reading on the net. The Escape is a hot seller and Ford cannot keep up with demand right now. But, its only a matter of time, Ford will meet or even exceed demand, prices will fall. Patience.
  • turnipfarmturnipfarm Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking to getting a new vehicle lately and have narrowed it down to the Escape or the Cherokee. I've heard some bad things about the Cherokee but with 0.9% financing it's hard to say no (also due to the bad things I've heard about the Escape).

I've test driven a Cherokee and an Escape XLS and had mixed feelings about both. Does anyone out there have experience with both of these vehicles?

I'd really like to see how reliable the Cherokee is and how reliable the Escape appears to be at this point. What are the good and the bad things about the two.

I've heard the escape has wind noise but even here I've heard people complaining about their "loud jeeps". Whats the power like in an Escape Vs that of a Cherokee.

I guess I'm really just interested in an overall review of either from people who actually own them.

My overall use will be going to work and driving around town with some country driving. Power is important but mostly I'm concerned with the ability to drive in bad weather and muddy roads. I plan to move into the country and I want something durable that will get me around snow covered roads. I'd like a quick vehicle (automatic) for town driving that handles easily and parks in tight spots. Which of these two or perhaps another SUV would fit that description?

Thanks,
    TF

Feel free to send me and email to turnip@inetnebr.com if you have any comments. I plan to make a decision this week. =)
  • turnipfarmturnipfarm Member Posts: 2
    I've been trying to gather information about this X-plan you are explaining but I'm having a hard time understanding some of the lingo and such being used. How does one qualify for this plan and how exactly does it work? I'd really love to get an Escape at invoice if I could. Anyone have a web page about this plan and how it would work?

Thanks in advance.
    You might try reading and/or posting in the Ford Partner Program......(need some help) message board.

Steve
    Host
  • gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    I recommend you go with the Cherokee if you are interested in off-roading or looking for lower monthly payments. I think the Escape beats the Cherokee in many catagories such as passenger space and refinement but the Cherokee does get the job done and you can get a much better deal on it. I have a Cherokee that started to have problems after 100,000 miles (transmission replacement, air conditioning leak) but was fairly trouble free until then. I have another Cherokee with 32,000 miles and no problems so far. The Escape is new and I don't think anyone can tell how it will do in the long run. I wouldn't think either has the advantage at this point in terms of reliability. Test drive both and then decide if the Escape is worth the extra cash.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Better decide quick - the Cherokee is going (or is it already) out of production. The Liberty is replacing it and Jeep purists are up in arms.
  • 1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    Henry Ford said "choose any color you like as long as it's BLACK!" He was trying to save money, but black or any Bold color is good safety advice for our driving today. I chose the very popular Parchment Gold but it seems to be a Camoflage color that blends into the road itself because new or marginal drivers don't seem to notice me enough to keep from causing close encounters! Like some other Parchment Gold owners who have posted, I am going to have to install the Daylight Running Light accessory so I'll be seen as well as those of you who had the good sense to choose Bolder, Safer Colors in anticipation of those other drivers on the road!
  • fdetresfdetres Member Posts: 1
    Well I was enjoying my purchase of my Escape XLT, when along came my first and only problem I've had with it, an electrical short. Got into my vehicle and started it, after a few seconds I heard a high pitch noise coming from somewhere, thought it was my changer. I turned it off to turn it back on and realize the noise was coming from the engine compartment, the starter bendex grinding against the flywheel, though my ignition cylinder was in the 'run' position. I turned it off and as I was about to turn it back on, I got to the the run position again without cranking it all the way forward and the starter engaged on its own. Tried this two more times with the same results. Called dealer and had it towed to their location. They had the vehicle for 3 days (not counting the weekend, when I really enjoy my Escape), it turned out to be a connector behind the fuse box in which some of its terminals were not completely inserted in all the way into it, thus touching each other. I wanted to post this just in case someone out there runs into the same problem, though I think it was a fluke and I just happened to be the unlucky one to have experience this situation thus far. Other than that I have no qualms with my Escape . 4300 miles and still smiling. Purchased mid February, Built Jan. '01.
  • soosangsoosang Member Posts: 2
    what is the difference between the XLS and XLT?
  • mbakeambakea Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just bought our 2001, Parchment Gold, XLT, 4X4 Escape this weekend using the X-plan. I never would have known you could do it that way if I had not read it here. It truly was an easy way to purchase a car. Based on the invoice price listed here, I got the car for just below the invoice with no haggling or dickering.

As for the car itself, we really like it. My wife's family has been hooked on Toyota for years, so I was really surprised when she said she'd go for a Ford. In the end the rugged looks (compared with other small SUV's teeny copper styling), the V-6 (compared with other's 4 Cyl), Ford's reputation with trucks (Explorer, F-150s) and the reasonable pricing make the purchase of this car a no brainer for us.
    While I don't own one, I will tell you what I think.

I tried to test drive the Cherokee, but my knees hit the steering wheel, so that was that. Too bad, because I like the styling, size, motor, features, etc. of the Cherokee, plus Jeep's reputation for 4X4.

The Escape intrigues me, but I think I want something with a frame (vs. unibody) because it is better for towing, safer, and just overall heavier duty.

Overall, the Escape seems nice if you don't plan to tow or go off road too much and the size suits you. I wouldn't worry about the quality issue (warranty and recalls will take care of that, although a nuisance).

One other to consider is the Santa Fe again with same criteria as Escape (no towing or 4X4).

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
    "the only vehicle in this round of tests with halfway decent bumpers"

Steve
    Host
  • jeffwork1jeffwork1 Member Posts: 3
    I got a fully loaded XLT a few months ago. We have about 2500 miles on it now. We absolutely love this vehicle. It is a pleasure to drive and is the best mini suv on the market. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a mini ute.
  • trixr4u2trixr4u2 Member Posts: 6
    Any other Amex'ers out there? If so, listen up! American Express just announced it will be partnering with Ford to offer X Plan pricing to its employees. Here's an excerpt from an internal news document:

"American Express employees can now purchase or lease eligible vehicles at Ford Motor Company's X-Plan price, which can mean saving hundreds or even thousands of dollars on most new Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Volvo and Land Rover vehicles. To take advantage of the savings, you need to do the following:

* Log on to www.fordpartner.com or contact Ford by phone at (877) XPLAN00 (1-877-975-2600).
    * Provide the American Express supplier partner code (ADJLA) and your address. You will also be asked for your Social Security number to establish a personal identification number (PIN).
    * Visit a participating dealer, identify yourself as a "Supplier Partner Recognition" participant and provide the dealer with your Social Security number and PIN to confirm eligibility.
    * Select an eligible vehicle.
    * Provide proof of employment with a recent pay stub or company ID.
    * Arrange for delivery!

Employees and their spouses are eligible to purchase or lease up to two vehicles per year at Supplier Partner Recognition pricing (X-Plan pricing)."

I guess those of us that purchased our vehicles using the EAA/X Plan aren't so special anymore! Oh well...we still got a good deal!
  • estevaesteva Member Posts: 1
    >subject: Escape Rolls Back On Hill
    >message: Hi my name is George E., my wife bought the new Ford Escape XLT
    >in January
    >and we are very happy so far,there is only one problem, there is a hill
    >she travel daily and say's the Escape always' want's to roll back if she
    >has to stop half way up the hill do to traffic. We wonder if any one
    >that owns an Escape has a answer.
    >
    > Thanks
    > George E.
    >
    In case you missed it, Edmunds has a video clip of a road test of the '01 Escape.

Steve
    Host
    file not found 404
    I'm working on finding out the correct url. Meanwhile, try clicking on my link twice <g> or go to the Video Gallery main page and then go to Roadtests. Sorry 'bout that.

Steve
    Host
  • chytraeuschytraeus Member Posts: 27
    Nice video, realistic while still praising the Escape.
    Please do not think I am being sarcastic.

I am not sure exactly what you mean. Does she apply the brakes while she is stopped?

If Yes,
    Have her move her seat forward a little so she can get more pressure on the Brake pedal. If that fails you really need to get that baby in and have the brakes checked!

If No,
    Some people rely on the engine idle to keep the car from moving while stopped. Not a good idea. You should always have your foot on the brake while stopped!

If she is parked,
    The manual states that while you are parked you should use the parking brake and put the vehicle in Park.

If she has a standard transmission (Stick Shift)
    1) Get better at timing the accelerator with the clutch to keep role back to a minimum.
    2) On particularly steep hill I have used the parking brake. As you ease off the clutch and apply pressure to the accelerator slowly let off parking break. It sound complicated but becomes second nature after you do it a few times.

Hope I helped,

Tony
  • yosemite1yosemite1 Member Posts: 8
    If you have a build date of April 23rd then I would start looking for it the week of May 14th. Maybe a week later. By looking for it I mean LOOKING for it. Drive out to your dealer if you can and look for it every day! Mine was on the lot and the sales department didn't even know it was there!

When did VOPC say the Estimated delivery week was? Most people have been getting theirs 3-7 days early. (Mine had an Estimated delivery the week of April 2nd. It arrived at the dealer on March 28th. I picked it up on the 29th.

Hope I helped

Tony
    Lovin' my T-red, Leather, 4x4, V6, privacy Glass, side step bar, spoiler and bug deflector Escape!!
  • yosemite1yosemite1 Member Posts: 8
    If you would like more information from people that have Escapes go to:

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thefordescapeclub

This is the Ford Escape Club at yahoo. Lots of people there with alot more knowledge than me!

Tony

• curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    Hello to all the Escape drivers from a Tribute owner. I was wondering if anyone is using synthetic oil in their Escapes. I found out that Amsoil is coming out with a synthetic 5w-20 sometime in July, however, I would like to make the change prior to this (plus, who knows if they will push back the release date). Mobil 1 has synthetic 5w-30 and 0w-30. Any comments?
  • rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    I bought a 12-quart case of 5w-20 Motorcraft oil immediately after I bought my Tribute. Changed the oil around 1000 miles, then again around 4000.

I used the Motorcraft oil initially because I wanted some internal resistance for everything in the engine to seat properly. I doubt it was necessary because the engine is supposed to be built with very tight tolerances to use the 5w-20 weight to begin with, but I wanted to be on the safe side.

I figure everything will have 'seated' by 8-9000 miles, so that's when I'm switching to 5w-30 Mobil 1.

I did some checking of 5w-20 Motorcraft versus 5w-30 Mobil 1, and from what I can gather, they appear to be quite similiar in flow characteristics, so I'm not concerned about the synthetic, slightly heavier weight causing any problems.
  • curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    But, I don't understand "seated." I was thinking of switching to 5w-30 at 3000 or 5000 miles. Would there be a problem with that? Thanks again, so far I haven't found much other interest in running synthetic in these suvs.