Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• maccmacc Member Posts: 11
    My boyfriend has a 1999 Trooper,I have an Xterra and we have three dogs. He covets the X's neoprene seat covers that I have, so I've been trying to find something similar for his Trooper (Valentine's Day gift!!) Does anyone know if there is anything like that?? I think that's his excuse for not taking his SUV when the dogs are invited! Thanks for your help
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Like that sells seat covers for anything.

-mike
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    and they're not cheap but the custom ones look really nice....i think they're around $400 - $500 as set (front and rear) for custom fitted ones
  • zantezante Member Posts: 1
    I have a '01 Trooper. It makes a rattling noise under heavy accelaration when the car is cold. The noise comes from the back and center of the car. The description in message # 3000 fits it perfectly. Does any one knows what is causing it?? I do not think it is someting lose - - it appears to be more of grinding gear type.
  • fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    The noise I have under the heavy acceleration sounds more like rattling can together. I believe that it was determined in this group to be a heat shield or something like that. 2001 Trooper LS
  • chomama1chomama1 Member Posts: 15
    Very likely the heat shield for the catalytic converter, a lot of cars do that, very common.
  • newtroop01newtroop01 Member Posts: 5
    Had the same rattle problem on my 01 S-model Trooper that I bought in June. Took it into the dealer and explained the problem, they called later in the day and said "something had broken loose inside the muffler". They needed to order the new muffler and would need the car back in a few weeks when it came in to install it. The repair was covered by the warranty and the Trooper has sounded perfect since. Sorry I don't have the technical explanation for the problem, but after finding out the repair was fully covered by warranty I didn't need to know much else. Don't be afraid to get it checked out since it sounds like it might be a fairly common problem and they are likely aware of it.

On another note, new(or old) Trooper owners should know that the poly bushing upgrade (instructions are on Paisan's site under upgrades) is one of the best and least expensive things you can do to your vehicle to eliminate the lean felt while cornering, this cheap and easy to do upgrade makes driving the Trooper even more enjoyable. Another problem solver is the screen spline or silicone to prevent the "flapping" wind noise for owners of bugshields. I have personally used the screen spline and the difference is amazing. Details on this can be found by reading back through the postings over the last month or so.

And of course, keep checking this forum as there are great people here and great new ideas surfacing daily.
    Hey can someone do a writeup for this for me to put on http://isuzu-suvs.com ? That would be great for the How-to section. Thanks in advance.

-mike

• keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I guess since I came up with it, I should probably do the write up. i will try to write it up this week and send it to you along with some pics!
    Some pics of the Nudge Bar would be cool too.

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Where/what are these exactly? Is this the bushing with the bright bracket over it that is shown in the picture 4 and 5 on Paisan's site? http://isuzu-suvs.com/trooper/horn-nudge.html

Also, in the Islander write-up he says don't overtighten the bolts. Does anyone know the torque setting. Isn't that tightness going to affect the amount of sway/tension of the bar on the body?
    1) Yes it is the bright one on there.
    2) I'm not sure of the torque setting, but I cranked it down pretty hard, didn't want it coming off.

-mike
  • newtroop01newtroop01 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the bushings can be seen in those pictures. They are a rubber bushing held on by a gold/silver piece of hardware. The rear bushings can also be seen by looking inside the back wheelwell to the left of the tire if you don't want to get dirty. As far as overtightening, I think the concern is about breaking the bolts rather than the tension factor. As long as the the hardware holding the bushings is seated properly, the bushings themselves will be at the correct pressure.
    You need to repace those gold/silver hardware pieces with the pieces that come with the poly bushings. Also when applying the poly-grease use gloves, it is the stickiest stuff I've ever worked with.

-mike
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Hey. I looked around on the web page and couldn't find the instructions on the bushings... Paisan, can you point me to it? Sorry for being dense.

Another question: I'm going to start using Mobil 1 in my Trooper's engine(there's a nearby Mobil station whose service bay has a really good reputation ). For those of who use synthetics, how often do you change the oil and filter?
    I change my mobil 1 every 5-8K Sometimes 5 sometimes 8 depending on how lazy I am. 35K no problems yet.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I did some experiments with my 1995 lifter tick prone Trooper-S 175hp SOHC.

I found that the synthetic oil life could be extended 50% by changing just the filter. I was using 10W30 RedlineOil one time for this and 10W30 Valvoline Synpower the other time. Similar results, but I believe that the RedLineOil is a better product.

I also decided that the oil brand did not make the difference in lifter ticking as much as the clean filter.

What I have settled on for regular maintenance is to change use a 50% larger filter (Purolator PL24458) and change the oil and filter together at 3000 miles. I want to avoid the lifter ticking noise that my model is known for. Purolator PL24458 has the same pressure relief and flow rating and the stock Isuzu filter. Same diameter too. But it is taller, I think taller enough to give it 50% more paper filter media area. Read the physical charactoristic of the filters in the back of the Purolator Filter Book.

I finally did change over to 5W30 oil and it does help prevent the ticking even when warmed up. I was sticking with 10W30 because I felt it provided better protection for towing.
  • cwilli58cwilli58 Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased a 2001 Trooper from Carmax and it had a cargo mat in it. I have two dogs and I wanted to make sure the wheel well is protected when their paws are wet or muddy. Does Isuzu or any other place offer a cargo mat that covers the back AND the wheel wells? Any suggestions?
    Haven't seen any that cover the wheel wells :( Might try husky liners?

-mike
    Be sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com we are a pretty good group here for trooper questions.

-mike

• cwilli58cwilli58 Member Posts: 8
    I live in Chicago and I am worried about my spare cover and tire being stolen. Are there any type of locking devices that I could purchase to help protect this from theft?
    I've had the spare tire cover on my truck and parked in the worst neighborhoods of NYC w/o any issue. Mostly cause they aren't high on theive's hit lists the troopers stay in good shape. You might want to get a little padlock like a suitcase one and try to affix it.

-mike
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    This is completely unrelated to the posts above....but, I have a question for you to make sure I'm not missing something...

Would you, knowing that the 10/120 warranty is non-transferable (other than to immediate family members), buy a slightly used Trooper?

Jim
    The 10/120K warranty wasn't a big deciding factor in buying the truck, only cause my Rodeo went 120K w/o problems. Depending on the price, I'd definitely look at a slightly used trooper. In fact I may wind up replacing my current Trooper with another one at some point when it has about 250K with a used trooper. These things are just that reliable, IMHO.

-mike
    With the durability of the Trooper slightly used could mean 2 yrs old with 40,000 miles on it :o)
    I'd buy a 3 year old trooper with 40K miles. The discount would more than offset any repairs.

-mike
    1-2 years old, with under 20k miles. That's kind of what I look for in used cars/trucks/SUVs in general. That's how I bought my current MY98 S Trooper. Maybe you're right, and it shouldn't concern me, but it was a hump that I was having trouble getting over when thinking about it recently. I'm not REALLY in the market, but I always like to look in case there's something too good to pass up that comes along.

Jim
    You are just hoarding the Troopers aren't you?!? You know there are not going to be any more made and want to stockpile them in suburban Texas! [non-permissible content removed]! ;):) Heck if I had the $ I'd buy a backup for mine!

-mike
    The thought that crosses my mind every now and then is that the wife should have an LS or LTD and I can build the S up a bit. There's something appealing about having both our cars be the same. Only one dealership to deal with, etc. Maybe I could model it (the S) after the setup currently driven by the only Trooper PILOT I know, you, Paisan. :) I still chuckle out loud when I think about you getting the tip of you hood up around the 8-10' mark, amazing.

Jim
    Someone sent me a shot of thiers way up there today. I'll get it on the site soon. I don't drive fast, I just fly real low! I still want to find out what the true top speed on the trooper is, probably when we go out to Moab in May I'll be able to open her up in the midwest.

-mike
    (1) The Utah State Patrol is mean!! I see them with people pulled over all the time, myself included once on the way back from Lake Powell (which, by the way, if I'm not with you, you owe to yourself to see), and....

(2) It's about 4,000 feet in the air there, so you're not giving the Trooper a fair run at a high speed record. You need to go over to Vegas or Death Valley for that kind of stuff.

Jim

Edit: Now that I have re-read you last post I see that you meant ANYWHERE in the midwest. Yeah, Missouri, Kansas, etc. That's good top-speed territory. I grew up in Omaha, and I drove really fast in an effort to get outta there. j/k, great place to be raised, just not a whole lot going on.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Forget the test runs in MO, OK, KS CO & UT on the interstates unless you want to stop & talk on the shoulder for awhile. You could detour through WY off the interstate & cruise w/ the semi's above 110, though..... :)
    I hit 95 a couple of times in passing slow traffic on the 2 lanes to & from Lake City, CO last July/Aug. - wishing I were in either of my SHO's at the time.
    Well I've hit 105 for a short period on the NYS T-way with Conway in his troopa behind me, and I've hit 115 on a downslope on a road upstate NY. I figure on my way to Moab in like KS or NE I should have some nice flay straight sections to see what she can do.

-mike

PS: Jimmy was one of your favorite past-times watching the cars rust? or listening to the grass grow? :)
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for the advice on roof racks, guys. Boxtrooper, your post 2980 was great. I've been away for a few days to buy a Trooper! So far we're really happy with it: 2002 LS. There does seem to be a great factory rebate out now, though I couldn't find anything official. My dealer, Ted Russell Ford-Isuzu in Knoxville showed me a piece of paper, handwritten, claiming $4000 rebate on Troopers and 1000-2000 on other Isuzus. They had "$6000 rebate" on the windows of every Trooper but that was from the MSRP. We paid a little more than $4000 below the invoice (per Consumer Reports) so I figure it's really a $4K factory rebate and the dealer made about $1000 on the holdback. Seemed fair to me. Now my only problem is getting my wife to lay off the throttle while the engine is breaking in.
    Welcome to the crew Flyinlow! We'll have you up to Isuzu speed in no time. Check http://isuzu-suvs.com often for all kinds of how-tos, others trucks etc.

-mike

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Once a few years ago I put the pedal to the metal in my 1995 SOHC 175Hp 5spd. Trooper for about a half hour across Ohio. Trooper goes quickly to 104 MPH and stays right there very comfortably.

This most recent tank of gas has been a very efficient one. The gas idiot light is just blinking on which corresponds to about 19 gallons needed to fill the tank and the trip odometer which I reset when I fuel up is 355 miles. That's bettter than 18 mpg around town (50% backroads 50% stop-n-go). My Trooper has the DirectHits spark enhancers, a K&N air filter, Valvoline Synpower 5W30 oil with Purolator PL24458 50% larger oil filter, stock height OME springs and shocks (1.5" spring lift including torsion bars adjusted up), and three Thule crossbars on OverLander brackets on the roof. I normally get about 330 miles before the idiot light.

I like links they make such a colorful mesage:

http://www.directhits.com

http://www.overlander.com

http://www.KNFilters.com/

http://www.valvoline.com/synpower/index.asp

http://www.arbusa.com/Old%20Man%20Emu_Suspension.htm

http://www.thule.com/

http://www.rei.com/

http://www.purolatorfilters.com/
    What in the heck are you doing up at 4:35AM????
    4:35 = 7:35 EST

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Hey Mike, once you hit the plains (Nebraska, eastern Colorado) the speed limit is 75, so go for it! Beware, though, Iowa is only 65, and they ENFORCE it!

It was amazing how much more wind noise there was at 80 than 70 when I hit Omaha. Gas mileage dropped, too, but that extra 10 miles every hour adds up when you are driving 15 hours to Denver.

I'll be dragging my camper to Moab this year, so no top speed trials for me. I'd just be grateful for a tailwind!
    Hmm. I wonder if we should caravan out together, we are trying to get a big east coast caravan going.

-mike
  • xdlsdxdlsd Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody try to add mini van 3rd seats as trooper 3rd seat? They
    are easy to find in junk yard.

Dan
    Paisan when is the Moab event? Just out of curiosity!
  • ramblinonramblinon Member Posts: 80
    Certainly enjoyed reviewing the Trooper reports and discussions. I purchased a 2001 Limited last June, Black with tan leather. The owner experience has been excellent and I know that I purchased the correct truck for me. 5,000 miles and zero problems. Has not used any oil thus far, changed at 4K and check it every other tank of gas. No skipping with the CD player and no rattles except improperly packed items. The wife loves to drive it and when I informed her today that the Trooper was to be discontinued in 02 she immediately stated that we need to buy another one to replace her Toyoto Solora XLE. I read all the mag articles about the Trooper being long of tooth etc. and my response is if this is long of tooth, then it is long of tooth I want. I've owned a Jeep Cherokee; 2 Corvettes; 2 Acura Legends, a Cadilac, VW Camper, Old VW Beetle, OLDs 98, Fords and a Chevy Truck all purchased new at the time. Also a 76 Triumph TR6 bought used in 77. Different vehicles for different worms in my mind at the time... I look forward to many happy years enjoying the Trooper.
    Your sentiments are those held by 90% of Trooper owners IMHO. Its a shame that they never got the respect they deserve, but then I guess that is good for us, since we were able to get a good price on em.

keepontroopin: Moab is May 16-19.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    There is a company that sells 3rd row seats that are specifically made for the trooper, and fit into existing holes, include seat belts etc. Paisan's site www.isuzu-suvs.com has a link to it I think. It is something like little passengers seats?

Mike you owe me for the plug :-)
    I'll get you back on Feb 17th! :)

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have to clear a few things up. I am hoping to make it, and have a CB by that time too. Maybe we can get a little snow too.
    want me to clear your calender? I can arrange for that! ;)

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    www.wetokole.com
    888-24-OKOLE

I've never seen these in person but have heard several good things about them. Not inexpensive, but supposedly a true custom fit and high quality materials. Several different color schemes available, too. The web site provides several good pictures of the Wet Okoles in actual vehicles. IIRC, there are even a couple shots of a Trooper with the Wet Okoles.