Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Options
    shweggyshweggy Member Posts: 18
    My wife drives our sequoia every day. She used to drive our 95 maxima, that I use daily now. She too was a little intimidated at first by size but after a couple of weeks of driving she wields it around like it's the sedan. It just a matter of experience and pratice. I used to drive trucks all the time and once you know how to use your mirrors properly driving suvs is no problem. The first weekend we had the truck I made her practice backing down our 120 foot long and narrow driveway at night over and over again and now she is a pro driving this thing around. It's like anything in life thats new, it takes a little time to get used to, but easy once you've got some practice. When you drive trucks you have to rely on your mirrors and stop looking over your shoulder.
  • Options
    fhsimmofhsimmo Member Posts: 4
    Ordered a 2002 Seq, should be delivered to dealer this week. SR5, 4WD, White w/gray leather interior.

Changes to the 2002 model (found this info through my own research, not the dealer) -
    1) Convenience Pkg (CQ) no longer includes the Keyless Remote Entry, a real bummer for a $40K vehicle,
    2) Leather Pkg (PM), on the SR5, does not include heater seats even though the Toyota brochure says it does,
    3) tires are now Dunlop not Firestone/Bridgestone (in the Baltimore MD area), and
    4) SR5 can not order fog lights, this is now a Pkg including Keyless Entry & Fog Lights.

I found this information out after I ordered my vehicle. It would have been nice if the dealer, or Toyota, would have called me and told me of the changes before the vehicle was made.

BTW - - I'm purchasing the Seq through United Buying Service, has anyone else use this sevice? just wondering if its the best deal in town.

Enjoy
  • Options
    mechengr1mechengr1 Member Posts: 19
    I too noted the blind spot and I too keep the 3rd row seats down (except when needed). I came from a Chevy Blazer. This truck was big when I first got it, but by 500 miles (first week), I could judge where the truck is going into drive thru ATM's parking places etc. Just gotta get used to it (like ANY new truck). The truck is far easier to drive than the blazer was (power steering and braking). The RHS (Right Hand Side) mirror does a good job. If you note, it's actually more like a two lane mirror on the highway. If you're in the 3rd lane, you can see the 1st and 2nd lanes, behind you. The only problem is if someone comes over into the second lane at the same time you do. You can't pick'em up easily. That happened to me once, then I figured it out, and now feel totally at home in the truck. I didn't look at minivans as I wanted 4 wd up here in NY as we get decent snow (last year was wild in that manner). I can't wait to see how this truck does.
    NL
  • Options
    rruck1rruck1 Member Posts: 91
    Access to the rear seats of the Sequoia is very easy. I have a 2 and a 5 year old and they both can climb in and out on their own. Of course there are many times that they need to be lifted in and out (Like the dreaded times that they fall asleep 500 feet from the driveway after singing Barney songs for 27 miles) and I find it much easier than in our old minivan. Even my 72 year old mother in law finds it easier to get in and out of! (Of course my old minivan only had 1 sliding door.)
    I have a standard width garage and have had no problems fitting the Sequoia in (no need to retract the mirrors). The antennae does hit the bottom of the door if I forget to shut the radio off, but it's a small price to pay to have my truck in the garage during the long New England winter.
  • Options
    pbhortopbhorto Member Posts: 11
    We currently have two child seats in our Seq. An infant rear facing in the middle position of the 2nd row and a front facing behind the driver seat. The tumble seat makes access to the middle seat very easy. We have had no issues. The running boards do come in handy for access. Our other three children (ages 3-10) have no problems getting into or out of the 3rd row seats.

As to garage size, we have a 3 car garage so the Seq gets the two car side...no problem. I can even pull in with the Thule carrier on top. Lucky me.

For us...we really wanted the extra seat in the Seq. The minivans were ok, but with 5 kids we needed the extra room.
  • Options
    tommyc6tommyc6 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. It's only going to help us evaluate our choice. We brought the Sequoia home today (test drive) and put it in the garage. It was alot larger than our Jeep Grand Cherokee but could be gotten used to. We practiced moving the car seats in and out, the big doors were somewhat an inconvenience because of the size and our limited space. Also, unless we backed the Sequoia in the garage we couldn't open the back hatch (because of the garage door.) I guess we could pull the vehicle out and load it on the drive if necessary.
    While driving it today I did try to rely more on the mirrors for guidance, as some of the posters suggested, and it was a big help. I can see how this can help overcome the blindspot issues.
    As for the ride of the vehicle, we had NO complaints. I did notice that it had a burned oil type smell to it. I forgot to ask the dealer about this.
    We hope to have a decision in a few weeks, I'll post when we do. Thanks!
  • Options
    curious33curious33 Member Posts: 14
    You asked for input of parents, so here's three assets I haven't read mentioned yet. As a mother of 5 year old twins, I was most concerned with safety.

1) I liked the fact that the middle and third seats are very high backed in the Sequoia...my little ones feel like they were more protected than any other SUV we checked out.

2)In addition, you don't often find a vehicle with lap AND shoulder belts for the middle seat position in both the 2nd and 3rd row. Great for securing car seats!

3) Finally, the leg room issue. We put car seats in a Durango and Explorer on the car lot. Impossible to install car seats in that narrow 3rd row seat of a Durango, regardless of what the salesmen try to convince you. And the 2nd row seat had my little ones' legs jammed up against the back of the front seat in the Durango and not much better in the Explorer. Another revelation was that the middle seatback in the 2nd row of the Durango DOES NOT LOCK IN PLACE!! I discovered this when I was looking for the tether anchor for the middle seat and there wasn't one. That's when I realized that the middle seat didn't lock in place and therefore, wasn't intended for a carseat. I couldn't believe it...it's more of a fold-down console. Who would want to ride in that seat?!! If you were hit in the rear, your car seat would just fold over with you. And if you had both carseats secured on the outer seats, an elderly grandparent would have to crawl over a childseat to get to the middle seat that doesn't even lock in place! What were the engineers thinking?!

Back to the Sequoia...The leg room in the Sequoia IS EXCELLENT!!! Lots and lots of leg room for children in car seats and adults!!!!

Finally, you asked about the size of the Sequoia. It took me a good two months to get used to the huge feel of the Sequoia. Still a little apprehensive backing up. But the side mirrors are great in this vehicle.

Funny that so many of us narrowed our choices down to the Sequoia, Sienna and Odyssey. I still worry about the rollover issue but do like that my children are in the middle of a big vehicle rather than a small car.

That's my two cents worth.
  • Options
    toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    Yes, so many of us struggled between the SEQ and the ODY. It was a very hard decision for me because the ODY really made much more sense. But my heart was really into the SEQ and I have no regrets. Five months and 10,000 miles later, I still enjoy the verbalized and non-verbalized admiration of other SUV owners at gas stations and parking lots. Oh, what a feeling.

It's very easy to get used to driving this SUV. Even my wife, who was leaning more on the ODY, now enjoys the SEQ.

I waited for the MDX and test drove it on DAY ONE (release date). I really liked everything it had for the money, except that I could not figure out if it is a minivan or an SUV. There is just something in its stance that I could not quite figure out.

The heart and the mind: yes, just like choosing a wife.
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    when you say ".... The heart and the mind: yes, just like choosing a wife", that is scarily true :-)

Buying a car can be a heart and mind (I'd rather call it head and heart) thing, where your head tells you one thing (e.g. the Ody is just right for you), but your heart yearns for something else (e.g. the Sequoia and the "looks" from your friends and neighbors, not to mention your work colleagues)... oh it can be tough !

I am surprised though: are there that many people cross-shopping minivans and full-size SUV's... ?How so ? These two vehicle categories are in many ways, so so different. Minivans, are, well, minivans... They are often bland, and come in same shapes and size... very monotous, though quite competent in their functions... OTOH, SUV's come in a myriad of shapes and sizes, to your hearts (or mind's) content. If it is about price, these are incomparable; since many F/S SUV's are much more expensive than most minivans. If it is about people-space, maybe there is some similarity, and that may be all there is, really.

I have 2 small kids, but I'd never would consider a minivan. For us, we were in the market for an SUV, the question is which one: either mid-size luxury or F/S beast... That is where the Sequoia, the Expy, Tahoe and Denali (to mention a few) comes to mind. These vehicles are designed for many different purposes, purposes which are quite different from the functionalities found with minivans. Yes you can tow with a minivan, yes you can carry up to 9 people in a minivan, then what else ? An SUV can do these and more, and it will not help you if you are environmentally-inclined; it burns gas.

People with small kids need to be practical: get what you need NOW and not what you like. 5 years from now whent the kids are out of car seats, you can trade in that minivan for a nice, gas-guzzling SUV. If you get the Ody, which is a fine vehicle, you will retain good value and get a great trade for it then.

Tommyc6, be practical and go with the vehicle that makes the most sense under your circumstance. I am refering here to the Honda Odyssey. You will not regret it. Just MHO.
  • Options
    kmurray66kmurray66 Member Posts: 28
    Wow, I also didn't realize so many people were considering full size SUV's and vans. We are struggling to decide between a Odyssey and a Sequoia or Tahoe. One additional plus for the SUV's: Since we have three kids (1.5-5), the third row in the van would always need to be up, limiting storage capacity for bulky things like jog strollers and bikes. With the big SUVs, we can put all three in the middle and still have plenty of room in back.
  • Options
    hguy11hguy11 Member Posts: 16
    Most of my customers who cross shop tell me that styling is what makes them want the SUV. Another consideration is Towing the family Boat or Travel Trailer. And some just admit that they don't want a "Granny Van", and they will sacrifice fuel economy for the other advantages.
  • Options
    ryoonryoon Member Posts: 11
    To me the "stigma" associated with minivans is a non issue...and the "look/styling" attaction of SUVs???..really, are you going to spend 35K to $42k of after tax money for issues of "image" and "looks"?

If I decide on the Seq. instead of the Oddy it will be for more concrete/tangible factors....more cargo space, more seating capacity, more off-road/snow capability.

If I decide on the Oddy it will be for convenience (easier entry, power sliding doors) and economics (purchase price and gas mileage.

I think both are fine looking in a" form follows function" kind of way.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    In light of today's events, I find it strange that I'm posting a message about something so frivolous.

However, several recent posts have mentioned that the Sequoia and other full size SUVs have superior cargo, luggage and passenger capacities than do minivans, like the Honda Oddy. This is not the case. The Honda has a luggage capacity of 38.1 cu.ft. and a maximum cargo capacity of 146 cu.ft. while the Sequoia has a luggage capacity of 27.8 cu.ft and a maximum cargo capacity of 128 cu.ft. And, many minivans have higher cargo weight capacities than the the Sequoia.
  • Options
    ryoonryoon Member Posts: 11
    Yes, truly undescribable.

Concerning cargo, I observed that the cargo space behind the third row seats is greater in the Seq. as compared to minivans (have'nt checked the actual specs.). With three children, travel means that cargo will have to be placed with the third row seating left intact.
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    in times like these words are almost meaningless. let us join hands in prayer for all the innocent lifes lost in today's tragic act of terrorism on the soil of America. I never in my wildest dream r imagination expected to see a day like this, but here we are in the 21st Century and the reality is startling....

May the Souls of the dearly departed rest in peace, amen...
  • Options
    rugby2rugby2 Member Posts: 4
    If you can get a 2002 Limited in the Desert Sand Mica? I have only seen that color on the SR5... Anyone out there have one? Thanks.
  • Options
    vairman66vairman66 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me? Especially in non-winter driving conditions, I would prefer to "power down" the engine with my own foot, if and when I want.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    For some of you looking at Seq, I suggest you put off your purchase. After this horrendous event in NY, we may be heading towards a recession.
  • Options
    714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    We are shocked at what you experienced today. Our thoughts, support and prayers are with you all.
  • Options
    lcd1lcd1 Member Posts: 147
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Place it in 4WD and leave it there. This disengages the engine limiting portion of the traction control. This vehicle is safe to leave in the 4WD mode all the time if you wish to disable this feature.
  • Options
    golfer4golfer4 Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I debated over the issue for 2 weeks. Do I pay $10K more for an SR5 Sequoia or do I get an Honda EX Odyssey instead? We chose the Toyota. I figured I will pay more, get more, it will last longer, and get 10 years plus out of it. Had it for a week. Took it on a long trip last weekend - - was great. Mileage for the first 600 miles is 16 MPG - - -Not bad. Of most assurance, is that it is BIG and A TOYOTA!
    My wife is a happy camper and that is all that matters!!!!!
  • Options
    jcmgtjcmgt Member Posts: 1
    Since 12/95, have purchased new 96 Yukon and traded in for new 97 2500 GMC Sub. Lemon Lawed the 97 into a new 98 2500 GMC Sub. Incredibly,
    Lemon Lawed the 98 to a 99 Chevy 2500 Sub.
    This one now has 57,000 and we have four kids-12,
    10,5, newborn.

We're sick of the Sub, no brakes, noisey, boring, etc. We're going Seq. Only question is , at what level would a 2001 be a deal and what's the cost/
    gain differential to owning a 2002?
    Thanks to all. Buying services any good???
  • Options
    2heeldrive2heeldrive Member Posts: 87
    My wife has a '00 Honda "Oddity" which she likes, the older kids hate (it's a mini-van you know, just not cool), and I don't like because it is noisy on the highway. The 4 captains chairs and big sliding doors are a plus for getting kids in and out with a minimum of trouble. It will carry more stuff than my Seq., but it won't pull the family boat. The interior space in the Honda is said to be equivalent to a Suburban.
  • Options
    stkgatorstkgator Member Posts: 16
    Cliffy1

There is a turn on the road (there is usually a mix of sand and gravel on the road as I take the turn) on my way from work where I can periodically get the traction control to kick in and reduce the engine RPM. I usually drive in 2WD-mode but I have also experienced the reduction in engine RPM while in 4WD-mode on the turn. I will re-try this again during the next few days to be sure.
  • Options
    tdxtdx Member Posts: 12
    I drive my Sequoia full time in 4WD. I too have noticed the rev limiter engaging when traveling over loose gravel or even on bumpy roads. I was begining to wonder if something is wrong. Is it possible that there are certain conditions when it would engage even in 4WD?
  • Options
    mkbrown87mkbrown87 Member Posts: 15
    We have narrowed our short list of vehicles to the Sequoia and the Yukon XL. While there are advantages/disadvantages for both, we are leaning to the Sequoia. The one main disadvantage is the price. I have checked some of the previous postings, but the basic question I have is what is the general consensus for a reasonable price to pay for a 2WD SR5 with Conv, Pref, & Ext Upgrade Pkgs & Side Curtain Airbags. What I am seeing/experiencing is many vehicles with these options, but others that I really don't care for. My thought, given the appeal & demand of the Sequoia, is roughly $1500 over invoice is doing OK. Any thoughts? And I will shop all of the dealers within a 100mi radius (which will be about 8). In advance, thanks.

Hopefully buying soon.
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    $1500.00 over is a great price in some parts and regions of the U.S. and is a competitive price in other regions. If you are only motivated by money and willing to travel to save a thousand to two thousand dollars there are some dealers that will sale you a Sequoia at cost plus a few dollars and keep the holdback. If we knew what state you are in that would help the board give better advice. Good luck!
  • Options
    You should be able to get the Sequoia SR5, Alloy Wheel Package, and Leather (Nicely Packaged) for around $34K. That would be 2WD of course.
  • Options
    vairman66vairman66 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice on driving in 4WD mode - only problem is I don't have that option...as it's a 2WD. Any other ideas? Who's the electrical technician who knows which wire to cut and tie into an On/Off switch that doesn't turn itself back on when you hit 20 mph? This was another perfect example of car companies removing control of the driving experience from the individual - because they know what's "best" for us and protecting us from ourselves.
  • Options
    Sorry, I should have included my location. We are in Tuscaloosa, AL. Tuscaloosa Toyota is a fairly large volume dealer, but may not be as inclined to deal. Thanks for the postings thus far.
  • Options
    I haven't actually been in a 2WD, because there is so little demand here for them. I was under the impression that there was a "TRAC off" button on the dash of the 2WD for this situation. Take a look at your manual.

As for those of you with the 4WD model, you are experiencing the VSC and not the traction control. VSC senses oversteer and understeer (skidding and sliding) and activates the brakes and sometimes will increase of decrease throttle input for short bursts to keep you moving in the direction your wheels are pointed. You can disable this feature only when in 4WD by hitting the "VSC off" button on the dash. I would offer a big word of caution here though in that if you disable the VSC, rather than a momentary loss of throttle, you may end up sliding off the road. This is a very different situation than described by variman who has trouble getting off the line into traffic.
  • Options
    pbhortopbhorto Member Posts: 11
    Anyone out there tried adding speakers by the 3rd row seats? My kids complain that in order to hear music in the 3rd row you end up blasting out people in the 2nd row.

Anyone else experience this? I tried posting to the Sequoia Owners: Accessories & Modifications board but got no response.
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    When I saw you were from Tuscaloosa I checked to make sure you were getting all the information you needed and I found that you picked up your new Sequoia from us this morning! Congratulations on your new Sequoia!
  • Options
    If we all respond to these current events in a way that slows the economy, we are just playing into the hands of the fanatics that started this crap!!!!! I'm not suggesting that we stop thinking about what we can or cannot afford to do, but why would we pull back?
  • Options
    Yes, the 2WD does have VSC. On the 4WD model, you can only disengage the VSC when in 4WD. I *think* the 4x2 also has a cut off, but since I have never seen one, I can't be positive of this.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I did a bit of research and we can put this to rest once and for all I think :-)

According to the press information that I have:
    4WD models = VSC + A-TRAC (Active Traction control)
    2WD models = VSC + TRAC

VSC is defeatable, but A-TRAC remains active at all times, applying brake pressure to the 4 wheels as necessary. With VSC deactivated, there is no torque reduction (i.e. no engine limiter). With the 2WD models, TRAC and VSC are completely defeatable, unlike A-TRAC which remains active at all times.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Hguy11,

I agree that with a little caution and intelligent decision, we should not run scared and contribute to the accelerated downfall of the economy. My sister and I just recently contributed almost 80K for our two Sequoias. America is strong enough to overcome a tragedy of this magnitude.

On the Sequoia thread, can you please describe in a little bit more detail what it takes to install the Rear Wind Deflector (Rear Spoiler) on the SR5? You said it's simple and only takes 15 minutes. But I could not see any possible point of attachment of the spoiler. Is it just glued on the rear roof? Did you buy your spoiler from the dealership?

I just want to be sure that I can install it before I order it from Toyotaprts4u.com. The seem to have a lower price than what the local dealers are quoting me.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Thank you. I was very pleased with my buying experience yesterday, and felt that I got a very reasonable deal, while the dealer still was able to make a reasonable profit. Plus, we wanted to stay with the local dealer. Win-win-win. I think that we are going to love our Sequoia.
  • Options
    That's pretty much it with two caveats.

1. Active-Trac can be disabled by putting the vehicle in the 4 wheel low range plus shifting the transmission into low (the low-low mode).

2. When in 4WD, the rev limiting "feature" of the traction control is disabled. This means that the engine will not loose power as a result of you hitting the gas too hard on loose surfaces. There is however a rev limiter associated with the VSC which *may* reduce engine power to prevent lateral skids and slides and this can be defeated by first placing the vehicle in 4WD and then turning off the VSC by pressing the button on the dash.
  • Options
    Curious, if A-Trac can be disabled that way, what happens if you're off-roading and you have slippage? With the open differentials, the power could leak to the wheels with least resistance possible paralysing the vehicles.

BTW, you mentioned that the torque reduction feature is disabled in 4WD mode. However, I recall seeing at least two instances of owners saying that their torque reduction did activate in 4WD Hi mode without any over or understeer occuring. I also recall you saying that you tried flooring the throttle in snow but the torque reduction feature didn't activate.

Since the system recognises slippage by the wheel speed sensors (and any subsequent variations in the wheels' speed), if all four wheels spin at about the same rate, then the system will perceive it as having no slippage and hence the traction control will not intervene. I can tell you that for the M-class or the X5, brakes are first used to slow down the spinning wheel(s) and only if that is not as effective does the torque reduction step in to assist. If in 4WD mode, only the brakes are utilised only with no torque reduction, if the vehicle's speed is too high and slippage occurs repeated, the brakes will be pretty useless, especially since they will overheat. That's apparently what the torque reduction is there for. To scrub off speed so as to restore traction to acceptable levels. If what you say is correct, then this would throw this thinking out of wack, which is why I'm still rather confused ;-)

Any thoughts on this?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accesories message boards
  • Options
    Without scrolling back to read those posts, I think both had mentioned that the rev limiter was noticed in 4WD but both were cornering. Neither mentioned slipping, but it is likely that slip was occurring which is what activated the system.

As to the question of straight line driving and traction control activation and its impact on the brakes, I think this is not an issue. Think about this for a moment: You are traveling at 35 MPH and stomp on the gas... even on gravel, how likely is it that you will have excess wheel spin? Even if you had some, can you imagine it being bad enough to need to reduce the throttle if you were already in 4WD? I doubt it.

Finally, as to the question of the "low-low" situation, you are correct. The center differential is locked and you have open front and rear differentials. You are now in the same mode as every Toyota truck and yes, it is possible to not have power available if both left (or right) side tires are hanging off the side of a cliff. This is why I don't see a whole lot of use for this mode.
  • Options
    fishcarfishcar Member Posts: 18
    I have had VSC kick in while driving straight in 4WD on several occasions... always when driving fairly fast on dirt/gravel roads with lots of "washboard"... usually when going up hill. As you bounce over the bumps, a little wheel spin fools the system and VSC kicks in for a second...on a couple occasions it felt like there was a loss of power, such as might be caused by a rev limiter. On those roads, I just turn VSC off (and take the curves a little more carefully, even in 4WD). my $0.02.
  • Options
    This 4X4 expert feels that leaving stability control on is the safest thing to do:

http://www.4x4abc.com/G-Class/flip.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    tedratedra Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Limited 2WD. I purchased it in Feb 01, thus it is 7 mos. old to me, however it was a demo with 3600 miles. It now has 15K. The brake have seemed odd to me since my purchase. They grinded when stopping on a hill, then by a couple months ago, squeeled everytime I used them. I took it to the dealership, who said it needed new rotors and pads. They tried to stick me with a $400 bill and I got furious. Rotors and pad should not need to be replaced in 15K miles. They then stated that I "must drive hard". I traded a 1997 4Runner in for this Sequoia, it had 60K miles and I never had to replace even the pads.
    Please let me know if anyone else is having a problem with the braking system.
  • Options
    Your Sequoia weighs 1200 pounds more than your Runner. 15000 miles is not out of the question for pads depending on how you drive. Rotors are another issue. If the rotors need replaced because you didn't replace the pads, you'll get nailed with the bill. If the rotors warped without neglect, they will be covered by the warranty.
  • Options
    norwesternernorwesterner Member Posts: 94
    Cliffy, you're starting to sound like a dealer.

My wife and I are both realtors, stop and go city driving every day, one house to another.

90,000 miles on my Jeep and I just changed the front brakes for the second time. The backs still have plenty of meat.

70,000 on my Camry same story but had to change the back brakes both times, front breaks look like new (I'm not sure I understand why the backs are wearing out and not the fronts).

Good to have you back Cliffy, you must be feeling better, what exactly did you do anyway?
  • Options
    Mine just reached 10K but I have not checked the brake pads yet. I would really be unhappy if I have to replace even just the brake pads every 15K miles. That would be one of those very unpleasant suprises.

Cliffy, is there any truth to the suspicion that engaging the handbrake frequently, especially when the rotor is very hot, would cause warping on the rotors?

Finally, does anyone know what it really takes to install the Toyota rear spoiler on the SR5? Somebody said that it's so easy that it only takes 15 minutes, but in the TS site another poster said that we need to drill five (5) holes and run the electrical connection from the lower brake light. I just don't want to buy the spoiler it it takes too much to install it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    tdxtdx Member Posts: 12
    I agree with Cliffy's assessment. Don't be suprised if your Sequoia needs pads at 15,000 miles. The weight makes a huge difference. Just look at the amount of dust on your front wheels. I too had a Grand Cherokee before my Sequoia and I think I change the front pads and rotors 3 times in 125,000 miles. However a friend of mine has had a Suburban for about 3 years and he also needs to replace the front brakes at about 15,000 miles. He also had a couple of Land Cruisers before that that required the same type of service. Before you get too upset, I would like to hear if other large vehicles have this same experience. From what I have seen, 15,000 doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for a vehicle this heavy.
  • Options
    It all depends. I have a friend of mine who goes through pads every 10K miles now. He used to have a Land Cruiser that he put new pads on at every oil change. He drove like a maniac. I know other people with large SUVs that drive gingerly and get between 30 to 40K miles on the pads. Fifteen thousand miles is not out of the question for a vehicle that is driven in town frequently.

As to the question of using the parking brake, I really don't know how that applies to the Sequoia because it has discs in the rear. I do know that use of the parking brake on my Tundra with rear drums can cause the drums to warp and therefore reduce the life of the shoes. Somebody with more technical knowledge of this can answer this better with disc brakes.

Norwesterner, I damaged my ankle pretty badly in a boating accident. I am finally off crutches but am still walking carefully. There is a right way and a wrong way to extricate an anchor when it is stuck in a wreck and I did it the wrong way. It is amazing how much force and be stored in 100 feet of rope when 225 horsepower is applied to it. This took me off the sales floor and into the finance office where I don't have to chase down customers. I liked it so much, I'm staying here.