Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• kzc2kzc2 Member Posts: 14
    Did anybody had chance to install additional battery on their pathy?
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Does anyone know if the grille on the front of the Pathfinder will change for 2003?
  • lancearmstronglancearmstrong Member Posts: 38
    Check out http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/mf_3_86.html for a towing receiver for a '96-'02 Pathy. They have an attractive, bolt-on Draw-Tite Class III (corresponds with the 5000 max rating for Pathy with auto trans) round bar towing receiver and a plug in wiring connector called a T-One connector at a great price compared to the factory receiver. Total cost, including receiver, ball mount & pin, and wiring harness: about $150, plus shipping. The wiring install sounds simple, with no splicing necessary.

Draw-Tite receivers are apparently backed by a nationwide limited warranty. No, I don't work for Draw-Tite! Just check it out. (And put a big flattened cardboard box on the ground under the receiver when you install the blasted thing so you don't scratch it up. You'll need somebody to hold it in place while you bolt it on, btw.)

• crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    From nissannews.com:

All 2003 Pathfinders will be available for optional satellite radio, with a choice of XM or Sirius services. The LE model receives standard leather-appointed interior, while SE models feature restyled wheels. Both models also feature a new 4-spoke steering wheel and electronic rear hatch window release. A new Vehicle Dynamic Control Package offers Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System and tire pressure monitoring system. Four new exterior colors are also offered for the 2003 model year.

Enhancements to the 2003 Pathfinder include:

- All Pathfinders come satellite radio ready
    - Standard leather-appointed seats and improved center console/C-stack appearance on LE model
    - Standard side-impact and side curtain supplemental air bags standard on LE
    - Standard LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for Children) system
    - Restyled four-spoke steering wheel, standard electronic rear hatch window release
    - Titanium color interior accents on SE models
    - Available Vehicle Dynamic Control Package with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System and tire pressure monitoring system
    - New 16-inch 6-spoke aluminum-alloy wheel design standard on SE model
    - Four new exterior colors - Crystal Blue, Burnt Copper, Sunlit Sand, Polished Pewter
  • gvidogvido Member Posts: 8
    Hey guy, have any one reached 100K miles on your Pathfinders. I am looking into purchasing one with high miles. They say 1996 - 99 models come with a Timing Chain wich does not require any maintanance and usualy lasts a lifetime of a car. Is that true???
    I was told that they DO NOT last the lifetime of the vehicle by a Nissan rep. But to expect on replacing it around 150K. My husband is fixing to sell his 93 XE, he just replaced the timing "belt" on it just 3 months ago. He is wanting a '03 Path LE. He got hooked on the Path! The are GREAT vehicles.
  • lefty62lefty62 Member Posts: 2
    I leased an 02 Pathfinder LE with body side mold,floor mats, in cabin micro filter, and leather package this week. MSRP was $31585. Had a trade in of $2850, and made first payment of $398.86. Lease was for 36 mo./15,000 mi. per year.Could not get dealer down to Edmunds invoice of $28,644. Had to go to $29174 less $1000 rebate or $28,174. Residual was 50% and money factor .002. If you can get price, residual,and money factor you can go to www.leaseguide.com and calculate the lease payment on anything.

Lefty
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    VG33E (3.3liter) = timing belt (96-00 Pathfinder), replace every 105,000 miles
    VG35 (3.5liter) = timing chain (01-current Pathfinder), no recommended replacement interval
  • crazycubcrazycub Member Posts: 1
    Love the brand new Pathy, but have a small problem. The car had to be towed because my wife couldn't turn the switch. At the dealer, the mechanic jumped in the car and..Walla, it turned. It happened a few times afterwards, but after struggling with the steering wheel, my wife was able to turn the switch. I am trying to see if it is the key, so she carries the spare at all time. She couldn’t duplicate the problem for about a week now. It is annoying, as I know if will happen again...sometimes. Anybody had such a problem, or has a good idea what it can be?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think the problem is the steering wheel lock and it's not specific to the Pathfinder. Usually, just turning the steering wheel (left and right) will free up the key.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I've had this occasionally on every single vehicle I've ever owned (Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, Nissan, Infiniti and Toyota) ...

As tidester says, "Usually, just turning the steering wheel (left and right) will free up the key."
  • w62w62 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks a lot for posting that message, Lefty. I think you got a very good deal. As far as I know Nissan is not offering $1000.00 cash back any more. How did you get the cash back? I am also interested in 02 SE price. I would appreciate it if anybody could share information.

Thanks
    There is ONE SE left on the lot where I live, and they are asking $24995 for it. Hope that helps.
  • stevepinkerstevepinker Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I own a 2002 Pathfinder SE with the new roof rack. I would like to remove the wind deflector on it but cannot figure out how. Would appreciate any help.
  • smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    This weekend I got in my PF and noticed my power seat on the drivers side did not work. It does not go forward or back. But it does recline and go up and down. I also just turned 37,000 miles on my PF. Figures something would break as soon as my warrenty expired!
    Compare invoice cost between Edmunds.com to Kelly Blue Book on line and you'll see that Edmunds is about $500 less compared to Kelly. This is because Edmunds doesn't include the regional marketing fee in its prices, though it does mention that you can expect to pay a marketing fee. The dealer where I bought mine produced the invoice and it was exactly what Kelly Blue Book said it should be. With the $1000 cash back offered in July, I was able to buy mine for $900 UNDER the invoice price, per Kelly Blue Book invoice price).

Selection can be a problem in some areas. Per one sales manager with whom I spoke, the factory is already putting out the '03 Pathfinders. Some '02s may be on the water or in port, as they were still delivering '02s to dealers as of 7/27/02. (Pathys are made in Japan; Xterras in the U.S.)

By the way, I think the limited slip differential is a MUST have, even if you don't go off road because of the torque and the higher center of gravity (outside wheel will spin in the rain going around the corner without limited slip diff.) Unfortunately, with the automatic transmission SE, you have to get the popular package and sunroof package to get the limited slip. Explain that one! The manual transmission Pathfinders come with the limited slip standard.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Steve...FYI, I have '01 Infiniti QX4 and my son a '02 SE...and it may be just my perception, but riding in his is quieter than in mine...at 60,70,80,90...if that's what your concerns are...
  • pdown77pdown77 Member Posts: 6
    I am thinking of purchasing a 1999 or 2000 pathfinder 4x4 and am having a hard time finding what I might expect to get miles per gallon. I know it depends on you driving habits, but just want a general idea.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    10 mpg - towing 4000 pounds in a hurry
    12 mpg - towing 4500 pounds not in a hurry
    14 mpg - around town (Dallas) driving hard
    15.5 to 16 mpg - around town usual driving
    17.5 to 18.5 - highway at 65 to 75 mph
    18.5 to 19.5 - highway at 75 to 90 mph

I'm not sure exactly why it gets better gas mileage over 75. I'd guess it has something to do with the power peaks of the motor.

And if it affects you, I got 14 mpg or so on the highway in 4 wheel drive snowy/blizzard conditions when I used to live in Wisconsin.
  • pdown77pdown77 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks smithmd for the break down, I know all the suv get about the same mileage except the mini's. I wanted to buy a new 2002 honda crv, but they will not sale less then MSRP. I drove a used 1999 pathfinder and loved the way it handled and interior feel. If I buy, I'll put in a K&N filter.
    Thanks a lot to those who replied to my questions. You were really helpful. Yesterday, I test-drove a SE (< 100 miles) and a LE (4.5K miles). I felt that the wheels and gas pedal of the SE are tighter than the LE. Is it typical for a brand new car? Does the performance of SE get better as mileage increases? Or is there problem with this SE. The dealer wrote a price of $29,200 with sunroof package+wind deflector+popular package+floor mats+bodyside molding, along with $1000 cash back and 0.9% financing (36m). I like the shape and roof rack of SE, but not the interior. Especially the seat control. It is clumsy just like my old 93 Ford Trarus. I welcome any comments on this deal and the problem I found.

Thank you in advance
    Only speaking for myself, I would rather spend the extra on the LE, much more luxurious, the interior is beautiful on the LE, where as I feel the SE interior has a rather "truck" look to it. But the SE is for Sporting, and the LE is for cruising. The SE rides more like a truck, the LE like a car. I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the '03 LE now. Good luck to you, I know it's a very hard decision...almost like buying a house!
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    I guess $29,200 with $1,000 back is a pretty good deal, out the door but not great. My PF seems marginally faster after 5K miles. My wife and I did prefer the roof racks and the side steps rails better on the SE than th LE. Although the LE has much nicer alloy wheels.

Nissangirl- I did not know the LE and SE ride unalike. The tire sizes are a little bit different. Is that where the disimilarity lies?
    I know it's a matter of preference but I did like the interior of the SE as well. The seats are kind of funky with the suede-like and dark honeycombed material but the LE with it's multi hued swashes of color didn't look as elegant. Although I'm sure it is easier to keep clean. But other than the fake wood trim I though the two interiors looked rather alike. Not trying to be confrontational ( especially to anyone in the Nissan family) just asking for further clarification.

Happy Pathfinding!!!

Steve
    No problem. Everyone has their own preference. But the LE has a difference suspension than the SE. The SE has a tighter suspension for sporting, and the LE has the smoother suspension. My husband drives an XE, much older, 93 model, with the SE suspension, he loves it, but it drives like a truck. You feel every bump in the road. I myself, have been driving a Maxima SE which has a "tight" suspension, and I love it, but the Path LE just seemed "dreamy" and I still can't wait to get one, or my husband, that is. He will be the purchaser actually, but he drove both an SE and LE, and he really liked the LE.
    For 2002, I would actually say that the LE would have a sportier ride due to the 17" rims. But pre-2002 models (1999(?) to 2001), all Pathfinder models employ the same suspension. It is a misconception that the Pathfinder follows the Nissan nomenclature for SE models having a sportier/firmer suspension, because it does not. Please check the Pathfinder brochure carefully, I think you will find that there is no mention of a firmer suspension for SE models, as opposed to a Maxima brochure where it specifically mentions it. I think the SE designation in the Pathfinder distinguishes it as being a more sportier-looking truck while the LE is a more luxurious looking truck.
    Crikey is correct. The SE and LE models feature the same springs and shocks, so any ride difference perceived is due to tire inflation or tire size (or the placebo effect created by believing you're driving the "sport" model) ;)
    Equipment:
    Automatic Transmission
    Popular Package
    Sunroof Package
    Limited Slip Diff
    Floor Mats
    Body Side Mouldings
    In Cabin Microfilter

MSRP: $31,583
    Purchase Price: $29,262
    Minus Rebate: -1,000
    Final Cost: $28,262

Per today's paper, you can still get $1,000 cash back. Now they're offering 0.9% financing for 36 months.

Crikey is quite right about the suspension. Brochure makes no mention of difference in suspension and I noticed none driving SE vs. LE.
    If anything, lower profile tires on LE might ride a bit firmer on pavement. Traditionally, higher profile tires like on the SE are preferred for off-roading to avoid rim damage. But the LE wheels do look good.

Note, the brochure is misleading. To clarify, if you want side airbags on '02, you MUST get leather seats.

Also, if you buy an '02 SE with Popular Package that was made early in production (e.g., a demo), it may not have the automatic temperature control.
    You know, I didn't think about the inflation of the tires.......and I believe that is a very good possibility that on the LE the tires could have had a lower pressure, which made it feel a bit more car-like.

Thank you.....nuf said.
    ...I would actually get the LE, if I were you (or your husband), because of the 17" rims. Better yet, if you really like the Pathfinder, I would wait for the 2003 models since optional packages like leather will become standard. Also side-curtain airbags are going to be standard on the 2003 LE. Hopefully, all these added equipment does not include a price increase, although a small increase would be expected.

But then, you might see the Murano and say, "Whoa! Where'd that come from?" and forget about the Pathfinder altogether. That is, unless off-roading is in your agenda, then the PF might be a better vehicle for your needs.
    Thanks! I'm all for the Path LE, and yes, we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the '03's. As far as off-road, I do not expect to do any of that. I have seen the Murano, received a brochure on it a few weeks ago, nice, but I think I will stick with the Path.
  • stillers2stillers2 Member Posts: 7
    The suspension is different between the LE and SE.
    Spring rating is different. A stiffer setup for the SE.
    Funny that Nissan doesn't make mention of this in their literature for the Pathfinder.

I checked out nissandriven.com and found that in the Maxima specifications, it mentions 'Sport-tuned suspension - firmer front and rear springs, front struts and rear shock absorbers; larger front stabilizer bar' for the SE, see http://www.nissandriven.com/vehicles/ModelSpecifications/0,9439,20360||,00.html. But, in the Pathfinder specification, it makes no mention of it, see http://www.nissandriven.com/vehicles/ModelSpecifications/0,9439,20702||,00.html.

I do think they have the same suspension and that the spring ratings are the same.
    I will have to agree with you. I drove a '02 SE then hopped in a '02 LE and could tell a difference in the ride right away. Tighter in the SE and smoother in the LE. My sales rep. may have been giving me a line or sales pitch towards the LE (higher price tag), but he said that the two vehicles do have a different suspension. We actually haven't made a purchase yet, but plan on it when the '03's come in.

Anyone know if the '03's are heading to dealerships yet??
    There are many things not mentioned in the literature. I'm dissappointed in you. Sometimes you need to dig deeper to find the right answer. Not everything is found with a 'click' of the mouse (almost...but not everything.)

nissangirl: '03's have already left Japan.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    We have an '01 SE and on the '01's, the suspension is the same in all models. As stated above, the only difference is perceived due to tire pressure and the load carried.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember if the LE is heavier, but if so, that would make a difference as well. Even adding 2 people makes the softly sprung Pathy ride differently.

As for tire pressure, there is a HUGE...repeat HUGE difference even between 26 PSI and 30 PSI. Invisible cracks and joints @ 26 PSI , are pretty noticable at 30 PSI and above.

I would think think that tire brands/makes could make a difference as well.

gritz
    '01 SE 5 spd w/49k .... No problems at all!!
    Lovin' every minute of it!!
    Thanks very much to everyone who wrote commments on my posting. I really enjoying reading your comments. I learned a lot from you guys about PF. This group is really helpful and amazing. I think I'll go for LE. The LE I test-drove the other day has 4.5k miles and has the following features:
    Leather Package
    Limited Slip Differential
    Floor Mats
    In-Cabin Microfilter
    I want to add a sunroof wind deflector.
    The invoice from Edmunds is about 31,351, since it has 4.5k miles. What price would you offer for this LE, $30,000?
    I'd appreciate your feedback.
    I did some investigation to see if there are different part numbers for the springs and shocks between LE and SE models, and there is only one part number listed per component, with no distinction between LE vs SE.

Now, to be fair, I did this for a 2000 model, not a 2001 model, but I have no reason to believe Nissan would have changed their feature set between 00 and 01, without giving it mention in their marketing material. The primary difference between 00 and 01 is the powertrain, not the suspension.

(For reference, I used www.aaanissanparts.com, and if that site is inaccurate, someone better let them know...)
  • meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    The front springs should be different from the '00 and the '01 because the engine and transmission would be heaver. There is a difference in springs from 2 wd and 4 wd and the curb hight is the same from SE and LE so the springs should be the same for an '01.
  • smithmdsmithmd Member Posts: 167
    Have you ever noticed that your newly washed and waxed car or truck just seemed to run better? It's the same thing with the SE and LE suspensions. The SE is "sportier" than the LE...but only in your mind.

(Most) sales people will let you think whatever you want to so long as you buy the car.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    xplorx4 says '00's are the same and his nod is good for me.
    '01's for sure?? Inquiring minds want to know... At least I wanted to know for sure. There is an '01 LE parked out in our lot this a.m., so I slipped under it quickly. Same exact underpinnings and part #'s as on our 'O1 SE. So for '01's, suspension is the same. ;-)

gritz
    I was trying to make a point that if there were a difference in suspension between an SE and an LE, Nissan would have mentioned such an important distinction in their literature, much like all their models with an SE designation that have sport-tuned suspensions, like the Maxima, Altima and Sentra.

Anyway, I'll let this argument rest here. Whether you get the SE or the LE, you're getting a fine vehicle.
    You're right. Let's put this matter to rest.
    Perception is 99% reality anyway.
    So, let's change the topic. :)

Some of you may not be aware of this, or even care, but a recently organized annual event will be taking place for owners of Nissan 4x4 vehicles next Spring. The event is called goneMOAB and it will be held in Moab, Utah from April 13 to 19, 2003. goneMOAB is an acronym for "gathering of Nissan enthusiasts at Moab"

If you would like to visit one of the most scenic locations in the southwest, Moab is it. And during that week, which coincides with the Red Rock 4Wheelers' annual Easter Jeep Safari, you'll have an opportunity to participate in, or merely observe the largest gathering of Nissan 4x4 enthusiasts that will have ever been assembled in the US. Plus, you can watch built-up Jeeps, Toyotas, Broncos, Hummers, and probably even some modified Nissans tackle obstacles that you'd never think could be traversed by a vehicle.

All Nissan 4x4 vehicles are welcome to participate. This year's event, which was pretty small (only 16 vehicles), was covered in 4Wheeler magazine last month.

Xplorx4, you've obviously taken your PF off-road. (I looked at your photo album -- pretty cool.) Any reservations about the durability of a strut suspension for off-road usage?

When you go to Moab, take the mountain bikes!

By the way, folks, Yakima tells me that in a few months they should have a round bar tower that clamps to the factory SE rack, something akin to their X-Tower (for XTerras) or Low Rider tower, so hang fire if you really are dying to use your round bar mounts, yet keep the factory SE rack on the truck. Then you can use your fork mount bike racks!

Lance
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One thing that's easy to do in Moab is rent a mtn. bike, and the latest and greatest are available too for a little bit more money. Hey, did you know that Armstrong is 30th overall on the Tour?

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Over the past 4 years of ownership, nearly 99,000 miles later, my truck, which has seen more than its fair share of off-road miles, is still holding up rather well, considering how often I'm on only 2 wheels.

So, in answer to your question, I don't have reservations about the durability of the strut suspension used on the Pathfinder. The struts are very heavy-duty. (Passenger car struts are an entirely different beast).

In fact, I would wager that the strut suspension (with just the 2" spring lift) and rack-and-pinion steering has been at least as durable, if not more, than the torsion-bar, center-link/idler arm/tie-rod configuration used on the older Pathfinders, the Frontier, and the Xterra.

I would say the main disadvantage of strut suspension for off-road use is its limitation on modification for lifting. A 2" lift is the maximum amount of lift that can be achieved without very serious, custom modification (which is probably something I'll be researching over the next couple of years).
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    but that is Kristin Armstrong. Lance won the Tour de France.
  • thekurganthekurgan Member Posts: 6
    Rotated all 5 tires on my 2001 LE recently, and found out the spare tire had a steel rim, unlike the alloy on the four wheels. I was charged an extra fee for switching the rims. Anyone know a good place online to buy an alloy rim for the spare to avoid this switch.
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just testing y'all, and besides, she's local (to me).

Even more amazing is that my hero's son, Axel, is racing in the Tour these days. (the hero being "Fast" Eddy Merckx of course - man, I'm getting old!).

Sorry for the interruption - back to the Pathy.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sorry for the major spam attack, but this one kinda sounds like fun...

A contact of ours is looking for a group of luxury SUV enthusiasts who would be willing to come to Irvine, CA August 24th from 9am to 3pm for a test drive, focus group and lunch. Participants will be compensated for their time. If you are interested in participating in this event, please send an email with your contact information as well as the model vehicle you drive to: chotti@earthlink.net.
    Thanks for your consideration!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews