Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    montanabill1montanabill1 Member Posts: 12
    Be careful! It is not all that it is cracked up to be. There are hidden costs, etc., not to mention the whole mess of changing the odometer to Miles. Thats $600 US. I just did a comparison with the current $500 rebate and $500 dealer incentive on a PF LE and the difference is now only $1800 from what I can buy in the US. Add time and gas and airplane and I am not going to do it. Curious what are the best tires of the PF LE? Local dealer has all Bridgestone Duelers on them. Thanks.
  • Options
    karlamnkarlamn Member Posts: 10
    I guess I understand that the Canada thing might be a pain, which is why if the numbers are even remotely close I would rather do it here! But, I am curious about the $500 dealer incentive you mentioned - I only know about the $500 rebate...

What can you tell me??!!

Karla
  • Options
    montanabill1montanabill1 Member Posts: 12
    Currently, the NW area has a $500 dealer incentive and a $500 rebate. Take $1k off best price thru 4/2.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    with all these flags waving around, it suddenly feels kinda lonely being a canuck...eh
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    montanabill,
    I do realize that going to Canada is not for everyone. But what "hidden" costs are you thinking of? I hope I'm not pushing this on anyone, but I have done it and know of 30 others who have too. I ended up saving $3700 under US dealer invoice on my SE (and that was last fall when the exchange rate was nowhere near as good as now). Most people have not changed the speedo, but if you do it takes less than an hour at a speedometer shop and I have been quoted $251 with all new Nissan parts. And going through Customs took all of 20 minutes - and they were actually pleasant!

I think this is a great option to consider at least. And I certainly want to represent my experience fairly, especially what costs to expect. Prices are best in Toronto and Vancouver. Calgary will lag behind somewhat.

-Jon

[OK, I'm sorry I'm a little too enthusiastic about this. I will give it a rest. Feel free to write for info. I have just been trying to help people find the savings I did (no complaints from anyone yet). I will be heard from less often on the subject]
  • Options
    dennis1950dennis1950 Member Posts: 33
    "Hope I am not pushing this one anyone ...."
    Lofquist- enough already. How many times do you have to post this info on this and all the other boards you are on? Anytime anyone mentions pricing... we can expect a post about Canada from you. Maybe you are trying to be helpful, but give it a rest!
  • Options
    mattrichtermattrichter Member Posts: 19
    Hi Dennis,
    Many of us haven't been on the discussions for that long. If you don't want to read about buying in Canada, please just skip the message. I don't think that reccommending that others not share their enthusiasm or their experiences are very helpful. In genereal, more information is better, let the readers choose what they want to read. We don't all have your perspective.

Matt
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Karla,
    I don't have your email address. Please write me and I will overload you with info, contacts, and opinions. I don't want to look like advertising here on the board.
    -Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • Options
    karlamnkarlamn Member Posts: 10
    I agree - I have not been out here but a day, and I may seriously consider the Canada thing. It's nice to at least know it is an option, and what the specifics are to do so.

I can appreciate that you might have been on these types of boards regularly for a long time, and tire of seeing the same info (SO much pricing info - but great for me!), but that is just the nature of meeting new people in a group setting - sometimes you hear the same stories twice!

Have a great day!
  • Options
    zagm1zagm1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi All. Just purchased the 2001 SE 4X4 two weeks ago. A few days after picking it up I noticed a rattle noise when the tachometer hit 1500 r/min. This rattle sound only occurs at 1500 r/min. I brought it into the dealer and they said that they think it's the rear differential. They ordered the part and will install it next week. Needless to say I am VERY disappointed. Has anyone experienced this problem? Please reply if you have.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I have been on this board for a year now and I think you are the first with a rear diff problem. Do you have a LSD?
  • Options
    aspenwhiteaspenwhite Member Posts: 39
    climber3, I'm also waiting for someone to reply to your post #1739. Why don't you try the maintenance discussion, maybe you (we) have better luck there. Cheers.-AW
  • Options
    eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    I agree on information about purchasing in Canada is good for us. I personally have taken Jon e-mail address and when I am ready to purchase,I will contact him. I will consider Canada as a option for purchasing. If there is money to be saved, and I can upgrade my vehicle for less,then why not look at this option? Jon if there is a 3.9% intrest rate,rebates, incentives comes available in Canada let us know.
  • Options
    pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    whats the deal with the flags?
  • Options
    kunzwerkskunzwerks Member Posts: 4
    Had my '97 QX4 called in for some warranty work that I was unaware needed to be done. Turns out, the right side manifold was replaced to solve a "ticking noise when vehicle cold" according to the work order.

I was in a rush to pick up my QX4 so I didn't have much time to ask for an explanation on why this work was needed. Apparently the original manifold may be prone to cracking or something like that. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
  • Options
    kevinm6kevinm6 Member Posts: 3
    At the risk of Canada overload, I thought some would be interested in my experience. Using the step by step instructions Jon e-mailed me, I picked up my PF SE (w/ AT and sunroof) today. The hassle was minimal (20 minutes at customs). Final cost was $25,200 US (including duty but excluding 7% GST which will be refunded). The US invoice is $29,300. The deal is for real. There are no hidden costs. I have already registered it in WA without problems. The Canada thing is obviously most ideal for people near the border, willing to pay cash, and don't want to trade-in.

A couple of things about Canada. Not all US colors are available (no red) Check the Nissan Canada website. Also the dealers can only sell PF and Maxima (made in Japan)for US import, not the Xterra (made in USA).

Personally, I am thankful for Jon's "annoying" messages. For me it was the difference between buying a PF and settling for something else. Thanks, buddy!
  • Options
    usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 LE and am thinking about putting on a rear wind deflector.Looking for some advice on which one is best to get and does it really help keep dirt off the back of the vehicle. Thanks
  • Options
    eagle30eagle30 Member Posts: 28
    I live in the state of Colorado, and will still make the trip to Canada, if the savings are great. I am just doing homework (overload) like crazy before I buy. I am planning too own my next vehicle for at least 10 years, without major issues. In my price range so far, the PF is one that is in the running. I keep looking for posting on the ugly about the PF, they are not readily available. I really am starting to believe maybe the PF is a quality vehicle for the money. Has anyone had any (BAD) experience with the PF? Meaning major cost issues. Thanks for your replies in advance.
  • Options
    papaantonpapaanton Member Posts: 5
    Did you buy your PF in Vancouver? What dealersship? And when you say cash, do you actually mean cash or did you pay for it through other means (ie bank loan). Please advise
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    usarmyttt
    I noticed an improvement during rain after I installed the deflector. Not much but it helps.

The accessory being sold for the LE is the acrylic similar to the sunroof deflector. If you buy it from Nissan, it comes with new hinges where the deflector is attached (not drilled).

Rear wind deflector is standard if you buy the SE. It is a better one in my opinion but little expensive and you have to drill. I was browsing Nissan Japan, and I saw a PF (they call it Terrano and the QX4 isRegulus) with a hard deflector. Similar to what you see for the Sequoia's, RX300...Maybe you can find them from some auto specialty shops who can order from Japan but it could be pricey. I usually just stick to what is available from Nissan US.

It is really a personal choice because some think the acrylic is not nice. To me looks nice and match with the sunroof, cheaper. I look at the QX4 (the more expensive Nissan SUVs) and they are using the acrylic type!!!! Look at some PF with the acrylic deflector or just check out the QX4 and if you think they look good to you... go for it... Your LE will look a little different from the others (that is how I feel).
  • Options
    kevinm6kevinm6 Member Posts: 3
    I did buy my PF in Vancouver area. If you are interested, check out Message #2 using the go to box above. Jon will e-mail you a Canadian dealer contact and all the info you will need (He has obviously spent a lot of time putting the directions together). The dealer contact will give a great price, no haggling.

I did not finance my PF, paid cash. You can't finance through the Canadian dealer. You should be able to get a non-Nissan loan in the US, but the financials of the deal become less attractive. The interest rate is likely to be much higher than the 3.9% you can get through Nissan USA. You will have to crunch the numbers to see if it is worthwhile for you. Jon has more info on this also.
  • Options
    Sanandton: I do not have a LSD on my 2001 SE 4X4. Do you think that would make a difference. Also wondering if you've heard of anyone else with this problem. The rattle sound only happens when I reach 1500 r/min on the tach. It's very strange. Thought it might have been a bad weld on a heat shield but the dealer said all the heat shields checked out o.k. On another note: does anyone have the all season black rubber mats in a beige interior? Curious how it looks. I'm thinking of buying beige WeatherTechs instead. Any comments, especially on the WeatherTech fit? Also, anyone have a preference on the cargo cover choices: cargo protector vs. cargo organizer? Feedback is much appreciated.
  • Options
    meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    zagm1: What speed is the car moving.uphill,downhill,flat,coasting,excelerating,
    what gear 1st,2nd 3rd,OD,need more info to make a comment. Mine has a slight
    growl and vibration excelerating up hill from 10 to 30 mph. Steve
  • Options
    The only rattle sound that I recall being posted was one owner having a compressor rattle in the AC. When the compressor was on, such as with defrost or in summer it would rattle. I thought I may have had this problem, but it went away. I don't know if LSD would be important or not with your rattle. I don't have the LSD and have not personally experienced any problem. As a matter of fact I am almost at 1 year of ownership on my 01 LE 4x4 and still lovin it. My only real problem was the stuck 6 disc changer replaced under warranty. I also had a "shimmy" mildly. Fixed with tire balancing. Hope yours is solved quickly.
  • Options
    stephentwstephentw Member Posts: 9
    I too have been researching accessories and am curious what other PF LE owners have purchased. I am considering the rear deflector, cargo area protector, all weather mats (black, haven't heard of the above referenced weather techs). Also, has anyone installed a bug deflector and what is your thoughts on this. Also, a couple of months ago, I read some posts regarding Zaino polish. Has anyone tried this series of products? What other wax or polish would any of you suggest? Thanks for any and all feedback!

Steve
    2001 PF LE (Burnt Cherry with Beige interior)
  • Options
    meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    aspenwhite: Have you started using syn oil in the engine? I change to syn in both diff and changed to semi syn in the trans and transfer case. Did notice a little smoother shifts. The trans might have to be flushed. Might be a pain??Amsoil has very good syn trans fluid. Do you know any dealer. They do have annual memberships so individuals can purchase at dealer cost. I used amsoil in both diff might start using it in the engine. They have exelent filters. Steve
  • Options
    dmartydmarty Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 97 LE Pathfinder with 42k miles for $19,400 and keeping my 96 Ranger with 168k miles to drive back and forth to work. I am also considering purchasing a 01 Frontier Crew Cab SE for $21,900 (sticker has $23,400)and trading the Ranger in for 3k for a final dollar amount of $18,9k. I have had no problems with the Ranger and it is paid for. Some friendly advice would be appreciated. I am looking at buying monday (3/19) afternoon so I need advice quick. Thanks.
  • Options
    dell26dell26 Member Posts: 9
    I am now the proud owner of a black on black PA EL 2001. I paid 33900(all options plus nav)Is this a good price.
  • Options
    Dell26,

Congratulations! It is always tough to compare prices after you bought your vehicle because some may have bought it cheaper! Your $33.9k seems to be a good price to me. Anything close or below the invoice is fair. It is safe to assume that if the dealer gives it to you below invoice, they are getting some incentives from the Manufacturer. Hard to believe that a dealership will sell below what they paid even considering things that some has pointed out like inventory costs, etc).

Below is the invoice price with the corresponding options to the LE. Now that you have bought it, just enjoy the ride like I am.....

Leather package 1,734
    Limited slip differential 216
    Navigation system 1,734
    Entertainment system 1,126
    Body color side molding 73
    Sunroof wind deflector 42
    In-Cabin microfilter 38
    Front & rear floor mats 58
    Class III tow hitch 305
    Total of selected options 5,326
    Base 28,910
    Destination 540
    TOTAL 34,776

Without ent sys 33,650
  • Options
    usarmytttusarmyttt Member Posts: 21
    filod, Thanks for the info,how much did you pay for the deflector from nissan? Is this the same one from irontoad.com? I saw that one and it was about $60.00. Were you able to install yourself or did Nissan do it? If they did it what was the charge for installation.

Todd
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    I got the '01 Pathy this weekend from the wife and I noticed the brakes squeak more than normal. I mean, the only time they don't is under heavy braking. I took it in last year for a slight brake noise and was told it was normal.
    NOT!!!
    Has anyone noticed their brakes squeaking and had anything done to correct it?
    Thanks,
    Dano
  • Options
    pathfinder14pathfinder14 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, just picked up my pathfinder on thursday and I love everything about it. However when I went home I tested the lights and gadgets out and found out that the fog lights don't work. I bought the car back to the service and told me have to make an appointment. I will bring it in Monday. Hoepfully nothing major. Even though they still have to fix it. Any ideas what's wrong
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Hopefully you are right and it is just a fuse or bad bulbs. Have you checked them both? Your dealer must be covered up with work, cause I never have to make an appointment. Good luck!

Dano
  • Options
    Todd,
    I looked at the Irontodd.com deflector and it looks the same and cheaper. Just verify with them if it is an original Nissan accessory.

Usually I get coupons from Nissan for parts but I was so excited getting it that I had to pay the regular price which is like $75. I was quoted by the service person $55 for installation so I did it myself and told myself that if I messed up I will just bring it to them!

Little tricky because it is easy to remove but putting it back, you had to pull it a little bit (I thought at first it will not fit) because of the mechanism that pulls the rear window. If you are one of those who get things fix in the house, I think you can do it. Read the instructions carefully (only about 3 I think) and you may save the installation fee. If you are not into repairing small stuff, you will be better off having the dealer do it. I still enjoy looking at it after cleaning.

It puzzles me how Nissan does things. LE is supposed to be their top of the line and does not have a deflector.. Buy top of the Lexus, QX4, Runner, MDX, Sequoia and they all have it. But again, it is only the company that does give deep discounts and for its value it is worth buying Nissans.
  • Options
    celohceloh Member Posts: 1
    OK someone help me out please, can someone please explain to me the differences are between rain guards, wind deflector, rear window deflectors, bug deflector...thanks
  • Options
    celoh

Side window deflectors adds a sporty look to your vehicle while deflecting wind away from the windows

Rear wind deflector directs wind away from the rear window reducing excessive build-up of road dust, rain and snow

Hood bug deflector deflects airflow over hood reducing dirt, insect and road debris accumulation

Sunroof wind deflector reduces wind turbulence and noise when sunroof is open
  • Options
    gulfguyntgulfguynt Member Posts: 3
    Hey Selight2, what is the Dealer's Name in New York state that you got that quote from? Can you give more details. I'm looking now in NY. Also, why can't I use 3.9% financing in Canada to buy car, when I'm registering it here??? I'm thinking Canada because those PF's are better equipped Below is what Selight2 posted:
    #1633 of 1786 Good price on Pathfinder SE? by selight2 Mar 08, 2001 (07:06 pm)
    My local dealer (in NY)is offering a special deal called VPP for certain corporations, including $500 cash back and 3.9% financing:
    2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4X4
    Automatic
    Floor Mats
    In-Cabin Micro Filter
    Body Color Side Molding
    With Delivery, Ad fees, Destination
    $27,656
  • Options
    batchelor22batchelor22 Member Posts: 10
    Hello fellow owners,

I love my new Black LE and am wondering if most of you use Vinylex or some other vinyl cleaner to clean the sides and back of the "leather seats" or do you use the Lexol even though most of the seat covering is vinyl and not leather. My local dealer has informed that only the actual seating area is leather and the rest of the seat is actually vinyl. A little disappointing but I still love my vehicle. Best thing I have ever owned. Thanks for your feedback.
  • Options
    terrahawkterrahawk Member Posts: 10
    >why can't I use 3.9% financing in Canada to buy car

Do you mean why can't you obtain financing through the Nissan dealer in Canada? You have to be a resident of Canada for tax purposes before you can obtain any type of bank or dealer financing in Canada (I assume you are an American and living in the U.S.).

Peter,
    Canadian working in the U.S.
  • Options
    Did you turn on the Fog lights on the main control. It is on the same arm as the headlamp control, but is a different switch. Not an attempt to insult you, but I had thought I had the same problem initially until I found they have their own switch. Even when they are switched on, the main lamps have to also be on for the fogs to come on.
  • Options
    loboyloboy Member Posts: 75
    To add to sanandton's post, the main headlights also have to on low beam setting.
  • Options
    ggombosggombos Member Posts: 18
    Just a satisfied PF owner who happened to go up to Canada (last fall) thanks to Jon's instructions. If it wasn't for Jon's help I wouldn't have been able to afford the 4x4 LE w/leather (only paid 28,200)
    Jon I hope you keep on posting about it so others can benefit, after all isn't that what this forum is about? For others that get tired of the posts just relax a little and remember that all of us found/find this forum at different times. The reason news casters keep say "..if you just tuned in.."

First Nissan product has 6K trouble free miles and loven every minute of it.
    -Greg
  • Options
    mb0526mb0526 Member Posts: 11
    Hello,

I have finally decided to purchase an '01 Pathfinder LE. I do have a couple of questions that I hope someone could answer for me. I would like to get one with the Entertainment System. The dealer has an LE with all the options I want except the Entertainment System. He said that this is not a factory installed option but a port installed option. He said they could install it without any problems. My big question is whether or not the Entertainment System or Navigation System is a factory installed option or not?? If not then I really have no problem with them installing the Entertainment System. Anyone who has the Entertainment System how is the system? Any problems with glare or skipping of tapes while driving? How are the wireless head phones? If you are sitting at an angle is the image skewed or blurred at all? One last question is currently the price is 34873 and the invoice is 31611. Any opinions on what price you think I could get the truck for? Thanks!

Michael
  • Options
    bobformanbobforman Member Posts: 13
    Michael,

I got my LE for 3% over invoice less $500. I was happy because they gave me an excellent price for my trade in. Mine has the nav system which appears to be a factory installed option. Major changes to the radio and installed CD changer in the back. I got the same story about a port installed entertainment system. I opted out of that in that my daughter sleeps whenever we take long trips. It will certainly help resale value.

Bob
  • Options
    pwash19pwash19 Member Posts: 14
    I don't want to assume this but was your high beams on when you attempted to check out the fog lamps? They go out when your head lights are on high beam.
  • Options
    meca2: the rattle sound/vibration occurs at various speeds usually in 1st or 2nd gear. It happens regardless if I'm going up hill, down hill, or straight. Once I hit 1500r/min on the tach the vibrations kicks in. If I keep the tach at 1500 the sound continues. Sounds like a metal rattle. Once I go above or below 1500 the rattle stops. Dealer thinks it's the rear differential. I'm stumped and PISSED off because my PF is 2 weeks old. Any ideas?
  • Options
    npathfindernpathfinder Member Posts: 21
    Does anybody have all the disks for the Nav system yet? I only have one disc and really now wish that Nissan would have gone the route with a DVD system to have the entire country on one disc like (Acura, Audi and BMW) Can the CD player for the nav disc be used to play an audio disc? I have not tried it but have heard both that it will work and that it will not. Any feedback would be appreciated...
  • Options
    rob0975rob0975 Member Posts: 17
    Hello,
    I spilled some sort of beverage on my passenger seat of my 01 SE PF a few months ago..After the incident,I sprayed it down with Resolve cleaner to get rid of it..Months later theres still a noticable large ring where it was spilled..I have the beige,suede look sport cloth seats that come in the SE..Is there anything i can use to get rid of this stain?Shampoo it or something??Thanks
    -Rob
  • Options
    sonnyboy60sonnyboy60 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 SE 4 X 2 (Aspen White) that's been great so far. I don't know much about the Toyo tires that it has. Anyone know if these tires are okay?
  • Options
    rob0975rob0975 Member Posts: 17
    I have the manual turn knob thingy to adjust the height on my seat..Being that im pretty tall i like to keep it set at the highest setting..Im noticing that the knob doesnt stay locked at the high setting after some time..After a few drives
    I find that the seat is automatically lowering with use..I'm constantly turning the knob to tighten it back to the high setting..Anyone else have trouble with the manual seat adjusting??
    Thats the one thing i wish Nissan would have done..Provided optional power seats without a leather package
    -Rob