Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• Options
    emmbeeemmbee Member Posts: 3
    I've recently bought a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo TSI and have about 800 miles left on the original warranty. I heard a loud clunk when I go into reverse, and had the dealer check it out before I even brought it home. They said it was nothing, and I didn't hear it for a while. Now I hear it again, and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what it could be. Thanks for any hints.
  • Options
    mjk6mjk6 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I decided last night to have the jeeps rear fixed and then its of
    to auto shopping. I also hear a sprang clanking noise when shifting into reverse,
    but never asked the dealer about it, I try to shift slowly into reverse seems like it
    helps little. (can not afford anymore repair bills). please note, I have my jeep
    serviced by a jeep dealer and still things brake down. A message was posted about
    the air conditioner corroding, I also seen corrosion on my jeep the message stated
    $800 something to fix and yes I also seen some BAD electrical problems. I would
    run to another auto dealer before going to you know where #199. I'am sorry for
    Jeep but when your still making payments and major problems start
    happening, even after you follow your manuals schedule maintenance, theres something
    WRONG.
  • Options
    seqladyseqlady Member Posts: 59
    Check out this link, it may be useful in negotiating with your dealer:

<http://www.auto.com/autonews/axle5_19991105.htm>

Stick to your guns and make them cover the entire thing! If they thought they weren't responsible, they wouldn't offer to pay anything at all! Best of luck.
  • Options
    Unless you're paying cash for this Jeep and can afford the inevitable repairs....there's nothing worse than making monthly payments AND big-time repairs. I don't mind spending money on an older car that's all paid off (that's expected), but I would never own a Jeep out of warranty again...no way, no how!
  • Options
    mjk6mjk6 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone traded in there JGC? has it held its value or do the other automakers know
    of the poor reputation of jeeps and take us jeep owners to the cleaners. To seglady, were
    you able to trade yours in, got any advice?
  • Options
    gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    I've got a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo that I've owned since new with 36,000 highway miles on it. The car has given me no trouble at all. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and the plugs/filters every year. I had the front rotors changed only because of a recall (there was nothing wrong with them).

Reverse shift - I've found that if I wait a second or two in neutral when going from drive to reverse, it gives the engine enough time to lose any extra rpms, and there is no 'clunk'.
  • Options
    nikibluenikiblue Member Posts: 5
    Well, I purchased my JGC limited fully loaded with all possible options in April 2000. No problems with the rotors yet. But what I have is a list of ongoing problems :
    1) CD changer needed to be replaced twice so far.
    2) Fuel pump needed to be replaced--truck was not starting.
    3) Driver side mirror would not adjust with seat memory - had to be replaced.
    4) Driver seat intermittently does not move back when the key is removed from the ignition. And guess what, the dealer can't replicate the problem, therefore can't fix it.
    5) The front passenger and driver doors were not aligned with the whole body of the SUV -had to it take to the shop so they can fix it.
    6) The truck feels like it is going to stall. Runs intermittently at 500 rpm and feels like it is going to stall. They still can't fix it. Dealer stated they are waiting for chrysler update on the computer system
    7) The truck actually leaks in the back to the point where it was flooded. I took it to the dealer two times to fix the problem.
    8) Truck was swerving to the right - had to do 2 alignments to correct the problem.
    Well, I tried trading it in but I will lose $7000.
    Moreover, I test drove a Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Pathfinder - and none of these vehicles even come close to the full power of the V8 of the JGC - and none compare to the "bells" and "whistles" of the JGC. Love the power, all the gadgets, & off-road capabilities - took it off road several times and it handles like a dream. JGC also LOVES the snow! Well, I have to take out 100,000 mile warranty and try to work out all the BUGS! Whew, I just had to get this off my chest!
  • Options
    Yes, MJK6, I traded my '99 JGC a month ago...it still had 8 months left on the original warranty...got $20K for it which was 1500 more than "real world trade-in value" according to the Edmunds thread in the Finance/Insurance/Warranty section. It was in excellent condition with low mileage. I would suggest you read some of the threads in Smart Shopper and Finance/Insurance/Warranty....there's lots of good information to help you get a good deal on a trade.
  • Options
    gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    I recently completed "National Center for Dispute Settlement" arbitration on my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, V-8 which had Quadra-Drive tracking-pull problems, extensive transmission reprogramming, drive line replacements, wheels with excessive run out and brake component problems.
    I was very satisfied with the NCDS handling of my claim and the single Arbitrator process especially when he ruled in my favor and ordered a buy-back by Diamler./Chrysler/Jeep. It is a straight forward process and I encourage all Jeep owners with recurring problems like I experienced to refer to their NCDS "Dispute Settlement (EDS) of Auto Warranty Disputes" documents supplied with their vehicle. No one should purchase a new vehicle and have to return it, on average, almost every month for some type of warranty service. The high cost per mile of these vehicles characterized by my many warranty repair visits may be one of the reasons Diamler is reorganizing Chrysler Corporation.
    I am currently shopping for a new SUV and have test driven the Lexus RX300, Benz and BMW and have not experienced any of the on going problems that I had with the Jeep.
  • Options
    saabtoosaabtoo Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo, and was wondering if the deal I got was ok. I paid $18,600. It is loaded with everything except V8
    (leather, moon roof, heated seats, infinity stereo,etc) and the mileage is 26000.
    Thanks
  • Options
    socceranfdudesocceranfdude Member Posts: 4
    WE also experienced problems with out rotors when were were getting off the expressway we were obviously braking from about 65-25 on the ramp and we noticed that the steering wheel would shake ALOT we took our 2000 JGC Lad in and it was fixed with new rotors that had been sent to all the Jeep dealers to replace the old ones. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE BRAKES SINCE THE UPDATED VERSION OF OUR BRAKE ROTORS so maybe you all should visit the Schaumburg 5 star Jeep dealer IT IS IMPORTANT that you visit a 5 star dealer and MAN I MAN have we been happy with our Jeep It tows out speed boat hats 18 ft LIKE THERE NOTHING THERE (with a V8} and lemme tell you in Chicano we get SNOW and we pulled out an Audio quattro(all wheel drive) and a BMW with all wheel drive- OUR JGC pulled both out of the Jewel parking lot with no trouble at all-we do experience some transmission "jump" but its a Chrysler --WHAT MORE DO U WANT FOR SUCH AN AWESOME VEHICLE" lets hope that Jeep moves on to GM like there plans suggest they might!!! LOVE OUR JEEP (a little to smalll) but you cant fit BIG everywhere-most definetly buy another-
  • Options
    rinkinkinrinkinkin Member Posts: 35
    You've been great help. Thanks.
    When upgrading to PowerSlots or whatever , is it ok to just upgrade the rotors without pads , and only upgrade the fronts ?
  • Options
    rhetorrhetor Member Posts: 3
    Okay, soccerfandude says he got replacement rotors that were supposedly sent out by D/C. Anyone else hear about this? My so-called 5 Star Dealership machined my rotors (7000K mi.), which had warped. I would prefer new rotors, since obviously now mine have less life left in them (i.e., they've already been machined once). Plus, why wouldn't the same pair of rotors just warp again -- when the warranty runs out?!! Clearly, D/C gave me a bandaid to get itself out of the warranty period. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    your question was addressed in the carreview.com forum and it seems stock pads get pretty eaten up by slotted rotors. several posters on that topic recommended semi-metallic pads and it seems, from the picture found in the installation article i linked to, that type of pad is included in each rotor kit (apparently they're sold as 'right/front', left/front, etc. and not in pairs). according to another site (i can't remember the url), the fronts do 85% of the braking so i would guess it'd be okay to replace just the fronts.

good luck!
  • Options
    skijeepskijeep Member Posts: 8
    I have a '99 JGC Laredo V8 with just over 18,000 miles on it that I dropped off today at the dealer for an oil change. At the same time I requested they check out the front rotors since I was beginning to feel a shudder in the steering column when slowing down from highway speeds. Sure enough the rotors are warped and have been replaced under warranty. This is now the second time the front rotors have been replaced, the first time with only 6,000 miles on the odometer. What really annoys me concerning with the whole ordeal more than having to replace the rotors for a second time, is that the service department has told me that the front break pads need replacing as well because they only have a couple thousands of miles left on them, and to top it off they cost $160. I understand the Jeep is a heavy SUV for its size, but new pads after only 18,000 miles is outrageous, especially when most of the miles are from highway driving.

My questions to any other JGC '99-01 owner, has anyone else experienced a similar situation and had to have the brake pads replaced before even 20,000 miles on the odometer?
  • Options
    I replaced front rotors and hubs at 5580 miles and replaced front brake pads, rotors and hubs again at 10133 because of excessive pulsing.
  • Options
    cheevecheeve Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a GCL with 17,400 mi. on it I have put 2,000 mi.on it within this short period,it has been at the dealer 4 times. bad fuel pump,bad steering gear,transmission service and replacement part for a klunking banging noise,and now the rotors resurface and pads replaced. the rotors are now down to their final cut. I see some of you have gotten the dealer to replace rotors with an upgraded set.can anyone give me info on the BUZZ words needed for them to do this.and what sites can i check out for the lemon law info.
  • Options
    livetodrivelivetodrive Member Posts: 104
    We're already into March and I keep seeing Jeep commercials showing the 2000 JGC's. What gives? No money for new commercials, lots of leftover 2000s, or the 2000s are more photogenic?

Regarding brakes, I've got 7,800 mi. on my 2001 JGC. So far, the brakes are fine. FWIW, I have been using the overdrive off button to downshift when exiting the highway. I wonder if the 2001 brakes are the same as the 2000's. Does anyone know?
  • Options
    jwp248jwp248 Member Posts: 6
    I am new to this board but have read just about every entry. My wife an I currently own a 1999 JGC Laredo 2wd 4.0 I6. This vehicle has been a thorn in my side since day one. All the same complaints everyone on this board has expressed, including warped brake rotors, window motors (all 4 and some twice), and fuel pump. Currently we are experiencing a nasty bearing growl coming from the front end, the engine is cutting out at idle while sitting in traffic, and low and behold the brake rotors are warped again after 2000 miles from having them replaced. By the way Chrysler agreed to buy the rotors if I paid the labor at 22000 miles. I have driven Chrysler products for ten years including a 1996 JGC laredo that we loved. Never have I had so much trouble. Has Daimler been this much of a negative influence on Chrysler? I can't understand why Chrysler is not attempting to fix these brake problems along with some of the other chronic ailments with these inferior pieces of $30000 crap. By the way, we have recently attempted to trade this vehicle only to find out the ACV in the south is only $16500. Keep hearing the used car managers don't want the hassle of selling these vehicles with unrepairable brakes. Ramblings over. I would be interested in hearing the trade-in values people in other parts of the country are getting.

On the message board I keep seeing people referring to JGC's with the v-6. People there is no such thing. Jeep has never put a v-6 in the Grand Cherokee. It is an extremely old design on an inline 6 cylinder that was used by the old Jeep.
  • Options
    donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    I have a 99 JGCL with the I6, no brake rotor problems (26,000 miles). It actually drives very nice and has a pretty good ride. I will be changing the front brakes soon (only about 2000 miles lfet on them). Yes, I have had a few minor problems, but so did my previous SUV, a 96 Toyota 4 Runner.Thought about getting the new full size Toyota Sequoia, but it's a tad too big. Overall, (knock on wood) it's been a good car to date. Happy with my purchase:)
  • Options
    To: Cheeve (post # 215), check my post #207 relative to Diamler Chrysler Buy Backs. What a relief, best move you can make if you own a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Contact: National Center for Dispute Settlement, 2777 Stemmons Freeway, Suite 1425, Dallas, Texas 75207. My State Lemon law expired after one year or 12,000 miles leaving two options: NCDS or initiation of a private lawsuit.
  • Options
    msbonsmsbons Member Posts: 3
    I picked up my 2001 laredo with -package and sunroof on Saturday and put on about 200 miles on it. I just love the way it drives. I had a 1998 Pathfinder which was nice but the JGC is much more car like. Is there anyone out there with some positive comments? Everyone can't be miserable, it is the #2 selling UV behind the Explorer. If it was so terrible why are there so many out there. I look forward to many happy miles.
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi msbons, I, too, love my Jeep. I did have a drivetrain problem in the beginning but it was replaced under warranty and I've been happy since. I have not had the major problems some have had and would be very upset if I did. With almost 28,000 miles, I'm very happy. This is my second Jeep ('96 before). I'll probably trade at the end of this year for a 2002 model. I need a little more seating space so I'll go with a vehicle with a third seat option. Kinda thinking of the Mercedes ML430. I'll be staying with the DaimlerChrysler family.

I check the paper almost daily to see if there are any '99 Jeeps for sale. Today (Sunday) there was only one '99 Limited for sale in my city paper. I have never seen any abundance of people selling off their Jeeps. The prices seemed to holding OK from what I can tell.

Happy Jeeper, Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    msbonsmsbons Member Posts: 3
    Mark,
    This site needs more people like you who enjoy their Jeeps. Let's keep the good comments coming. Any other happy Jeep owners out their?????
    Any vehicle you buy might have problems. My buddy bought a BMW 540 and had it for a year before he got rid of it because of some problems---and that is supposed to be the "ultimate driving machine". ---msbons
  • Options
    so far i've got just over 4k mi on my '01 jgcl and i've enjoyed (almost) every minute with it! the only cons i can think of so far have been the so-so mpg and the (relatively) small cargo area. the v-8 is awesome, the seats are great, as well as all the amenities. i bought my 2wd jeep w/the 28k pkg incl the tow group. i especially like the dual zone, heated seats, and sunroof. so far i haven't done too much: tinted the driver&passngr windows, added splash guards, a jeep logo hitch cover, locking gas cap, and mcgard wheel locks. in the future i'd like to add a cat-back exhaust for a nice rumble and later on maybe a whipple supercharger (for some HD towing).

still smiling..
    leo
  • Options
    mal10mal10 Member Posts: 1
    I now have 6,000 miles on the 2001 JGC, and almost from the beginning there is an intermittent slight "bucking" from about 45 mph up while driving at a constant speed on level payment. It feels like the transmission is starting to shift into a higher gear, then changes its mind within a fraction of a second. It is not a severe situation but is enough for the passengers to feel it.

The dealer has verified this, and calls it a "harsh upshift" and says it is related to the new second overdrive gear in the 2001. He also says it can also occur when the air conditioner comes up (I am in Tucson). The dealer also says it is a software problem but so far no fixes has been issued. He also implies that this problem affects all 2001 JGC with the big engine.

I had a 99 JGC and this was not a problem. And I have not seen any reference to this in these discussions. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    wishbone2001wishbone2001 Member Posts: 12
    I heard that Jeep is bringing out a Special 50th Anniversary Edition this month, but have heard virtually no fanfare from Chrysler. Feature I know about include special exterior badging, chrome wheels and embroidered floor mats. Not sure about anything else. Has anyone heard?
  • Options
    susanh4susanh4 Member Posts: 1
    I would love to join the cause. 4 months after I bought my 1999 JGC it started stalling out at intersections, stop signs etc. My Dealership has yet to do anything about it because it would never stall for them when I would bring it in. Now 2 years later I am still fighting with them and now I am NO LONGER WELCOME AT THAT DEALERSHIP. Please let me know what I can do to help or if any action has been taken. Thanks!
  • Options
    rbrubakerrbrubaker Member Posts: 54
    Did you try contacting Chrysler directly? My wife's JGC hesitates (almost stall) at intersections and stop signs, but never has completely stalled. If you ever get this fixed, please post it.

I had a problem with my fuel gauge on my Mazda. The dealership seemed ignored my request to fix it. When I received a customer survey form for service that was performed, I killed the dealership. Within two weeks, Mazda contacted me directly, and the problem was fixed shortly thereafter.

Those customer survey form are pretty important for their 5 star rating.

Good luck,
    Bob
  • Options
    here's just a little bit of info:

http://www.jeepunpaved.com/anniversary/index.html
  • Options
    wmoore4wmoore4 Member Posts: 1
    1998 JGC 6cyl 2wd. When rounding a corner car will downshift once, sometimes twice causing engine to rev. The only way to avoid this is to completely lay off the gas until tangent. I've been driving a long time in a lot of cars and have never experienced anything quite like it. Also, when in reverse, the rear end makes a `whirring' sound. Any similar complaints?
  • Options
    I have 8,000 mi. on my 2001 JGC with a 4.7 l. V8 and Quadra Drive. Mine doesn't buck. It shifts smoothly through all the gears.
  • Options
    bcledgerbcledger Member Posts: 3
    To everyone;
    I have a JGCL 99 loaded that has been like servicing four cars in the past year and a half.

I have had the window motor fixed, the transmission plugged twice, brakes replaced, rotors replaced, resurface (now shuddering again) a low idle problem that still can't be fixed and a steering problem that can't seem to be corrected, a new cooling fan, and we still have problems. I really love the car but think I have one of the lemons they keep rebelling to used car buyers.

I am about to take it in for the third time to handle the shaky idle, the brakes, and the steering pull to the right. Of course I have the shiny gear differential, but the dealer can only handle so much.

Has anyone dealt with any of these last three issues? If I don't get them fixed, I am going to arbitration. Unfortunately, there's not another UV I want to own. Any suggestions are welcome.
  • Options
    300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    CHECK OUT EBAY ITEM #570473534 (SORRY I DON'T KNOW HOW TO INSERT A HYPERLINK.. ANYONE WANT TO TELL ME HOW?) THESE RIMS LOOK REAL NICE AND THE TIRES ARE BRAND NEW. THE BIDDING IS ONLY AT $400. WORTH CHECKING OUT
  • Options
    janraljanral Member Posts: 1
    We really enjoy our 2000 GCL, six cylinder. In 19k miles we have had some problems. Brake replacement (still shimmies)and rear ball joint arm replacement (heavy rattle in back). It they do not torque the rear ball joint mounting bolts to specifications (they didn't) there is a clunking noise when shifting from forward to reverse and back. Also, Goodyear tires went south, replaced all four with Michelin's, could not trust the Goodyear Wranglers, bulging and easy puncture problems.
    Biggest problem is noisy automatic transmission in 1st and 2nd gears (high pitched whistle). Dealer says it is normal but I don't agree. Anyone else have similar problems?? Please advise with your experience!!
  • Options
    benn105benn105 Member Posts: 1
    Just Tuesday I purchased a 2001 JGCL. It's a loaded v6 with the new appearance package. I love this car but I am already worried from everyhting I hear.
    I have a humming/whistling noise occurring in the front everytime I take my foot off of the accelerator at around 55-75 mph. When I hit the accelerator again it stops. A mechanic thought it could be something in the differential. I took the manager out in a different JGCL and there was no noise. The loaner I have also seems to have the same noise. The mechanic DID hear it in mine so that's something.
    Is anyone having/hearing this problem? The dealer has already assurred me if it can't be fixed, he'll get me a new truck. Should I bail? I love this truck and want it to be a good buy, but i'm terrified reading all of this stuff!
  • Options
    My '99 also had the persistent pull to the right, a high/rough idle that just seemed to be temperamental and horrible brakes (rotors replaced 2x in 16,000 miles and bad again by 23K miles). However, I didn't have the other problems you mentioned. Mine also had a bad fuel pump (replaced under warranty). The first 3 problems were never really corrected. They tried, but I got sick and tired of complaining about it and got too disgusted to keep going back for service. Even though it's all under warranty and free, it's still a royal pain in the neck and inconvenience to say the least. My dealer had TERRIBLE service....again, they always seemed to try, just incredibly incompetent. I just learned to live with the problems and then decided to trade it in for a Toyota before the warranty was up. Best decision I ever made. Wish I could offer some concrete help with your issues, but I honestly don't think there is any to be had.
  • Options
    rbrubakerrbrubaker Member Posts: 54
    My wife has a 2000 JGCL 2WD, I6, and it makes the same noise yours does - exactly. I thought it was the tires, because it doesn't seem to do it on asphalt - I think. Let me know what happens with yours. bikerbrub@aol.com

FYI, your Jeep has an I6, not a V6. "I" is for Inline.

Bob
  • Options
    300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    Here is a link to those wheels. They fit 93-98 Grand Cherokee's and maybe more. They look like brand new!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=570473534&r=0&t=0

• Options
    I had the right pull problem with my 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited since the day it left the dealership. We tried many alignments, checked the tires, replaced the rear axle housing to bring it into 4 wheel alignment specifications, replaced the ball joints with factory provided offset ball joints. NO CHANGE-Finally, Jeep admitted that the problem is in the Quada-Drive System and cannot be corrected. I drove a 2001 with Quadra-Drive and it has the same right pull-tracking problem. Selec-Trac and Quadra-Trac II do not have the right pull, tracking problem.
    Brakes, you just keep replacing the Rotors, hubs and pads with their totally new matched units until you find a set that does not have the pulsing problem for at least 5000 miles. The 2001s have 17' wheels and perhaps/maybe a new and much better front braking system?
    Good luck.
  • Options
    My 2001 JGC has a V8, Quadra Drive and 5 speed transmission. It does not pull. It tracks straight on the highway if I take my hands off the wheel. It came with 17 in. Michelin LTX A/S tires.

BTW, over the last 1,000 miles I averaged 18.2 mpg, combination highway/local driving (the honeymoon's been over for a while and I make this baby move!).
  • Options
    bcledgerbcledger Member Posts: 3
    It seems you had some success in recovering from the nightmare, I mean JGC with arbitration. I know you probably can't talk specifics, but I would be interested if you felt like the deal was basically an even swap. I would like to try one more time with Jeep if they can't get the repairs right this time. And, I have a sneaking suspition they won't.

By the way, thanks to everyone for their feedback. After a while you get used to the abuse, except for the fact that our car (a new Infiniti) doesn't have one single issue!
  • Options
    jwp248jwp248 Member Posts: 6
    This vehicle never ceases to amaze me. My 99 too suffers from a stalling/rough idling problem that the dealer can't seem to duplicate. If someone can shed some light on the situation please do. My jeep is the I6.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    '99 GCL I6 2WD. Had a whine that got worse. It would change pitch between foot on accel. and off accel. @ 23,000 miles they "Found rear axle has grown sound and bad diff bearing. Necessary to replace fron and rear pinion bearings and both side carrier bearings." Warranty charged 364.14 parts and labor. Rotors warped again and the 5 star wanted $75 to turn them, even though they had replaced warped rotors at 5000 miles. Had 2 power window motors & neutral safety switch replaced, front end aligned & aircon leak fixed. Traded the '99 for an identical '00 7/8/00 taking advantage of the $2500 rebate at that time. No problem over 13,000 miles with the '00. Wife drives it and thinks she is starting to get a warp shimmy in the brakes. Will have to deal with that if it gets worse. Very concerned about the long range potential repair cost!

Bill
  • Options
    ITS THE 60th anniversary additiuon not 50, and all 3 jeep models will have LIMITED QUANTITIES the models for Cherokee Grand Cherokee and Wrangler will come with special edition NAMEPLATES and ALLOYS and some limited 2 tone interioe coloring they were premered at the Chicago Auto Show and they look GREAAAAAAT
  • Options
    HERE IS WHY YOUR GRAND CHEROKEE IS STALLING, YOU HAVE A BLOWN DRIVE SHAFT THAT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. YOU MUST TAKE YOUR JEEP TO A 5 STAR DEALER ANYTIME YOU HAVE A PROBLEM BECAUSE JEEP 5 STAR IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE NORMAL JEEP SERVICE CENTER. HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AT STOP SIGNS, DRIVE THRU WINDOWS, BANK,ETC. WHEN DRIVE SHAFT REPLACED, NEVER HAD PROBLEM AGAIN. IT WAS THE 1999 MODEL YEAR AND IT WAS THERE FIRST YEAR TO ALL OF YOU GIVE EM A BRAKE AND ITS A CHRYSLER WE LOVE OUR JEEP AND HAD TO TAKE IT BACK 2 TIMES FOR BRAKES(STUTTERING) AND THE STALLING(DRIVE SHAFT) BOTH HAVE REMEDIES OFFERED BY 5 STAR JEEP SERVICE CENTERS MAN YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT IN OUR CHIC AGO WINTER IT WAS GREAT
  • Options
    THIS IS NORMAL the high pitched sound is normal, jeep is trying to add the "airplane" feeling to your car like Audi and Saab has, it adds more luxury, if you feel that its a problem do take it in, however what you hear should be normal(unless sound is unbearable)
  • Options
    sean4doonsean4doon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 JGC Laredo with Limited style body/bumpers and I6 with 4WD. I bought the car in southern California and now live in Wisconsin with 26000 miles on it. Took it in for oil change and Jeep service guy said I need new tires any day now. He commented as to where I got my tires since they were terrible tires ( Goodyear Wrangler AP 15'). I was in shock to have to replace tires so soon. Has anyone had such problems with Jeep(Goodyear)tires. I am way under average for miles for this car and would like Jeep to pay for new tires since lease is up in July.
  • Options
    harry0harry0 Member Posts: 42
    4 new Goodyears at 28,000 for me on my 99 jgc!!
    I replaced with same tires so there would be no question when I turn this lease in.
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    New Tires? My tires look great with 28,000 miles. I can see that there is some wear but I feel I can go until 40,000 if I decide to keep my Jeep that long. I plan on trading in December and most likely will have about 36,000 miles on it then. Honestly, I don't plan on buying new tires.

Socceranfdude, did you rotate your tires regularly?

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach