Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Reverse Warning Systems & Cameras

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Eyes in the Back of Your Head

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • sharonlpksharonlpk Posts: 37
    Hi! Thanks for the info re the Kmart system :-) Can it be set for a specific distance before the warning comes on? Or, is there some difference in the sound/light based on different distances?

I appreciate your reply! Just ordered new plates for the new van and don't want those a bit crinkled like the ones on our old van, LOL :-)

Sharon
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    The systme uses LED's and sound. It starts at 5 feet with an beep (which has off and two sound levels) about once a second, along with a green LED that lights up. At 3.5 feet it beeps twice a second and a yellow LED lights up. At 1.5 to 2 feet it sounds a continous beep, along with a red LED that lights up. The hook up is simple and has two wires that splice into your backup lights, form which it is powered. The other connection is to the sensor that is installed in the rear. I have had it for two years on my 300M with no problems. If you want a little more information, I have pictures of it on my web page at http://homestead.com/chrysler300m/chrysler300m.html It does give a beep whenever you put the car into reverse, to let you know it is working.
    Nice webpages...nice car! :-) So you think this could be done on the front then? That's what I'm interested in at this point....our new van already has the rear sensor (which *should* help me with judging the rear distance, ha!)

Sharon
  • scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    OK, I was just confused a bit about how they would become 'active' -- for example, with the reverse sensors they become active when the vehicle is put into reverse... I'm assuming that these would just become active somehow when the vehicle is put into drive? :-)

Sharon
    You could have them on when the key is in the on position, mount a switch, or if your car has a wire live only when in drive, then use that.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    on reverse warning systems: http://cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/cars/revsonar/index.html

Check out the video clip of the TV segment.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Thanks for the info! Wish I would have thought all along to put them on my son's car...who just backed into another car in his school's parking lot, aargh!!

Sharon
  • ca12394ca12394 Posts: 4
    I have checked most of the products through the links in this forum, and have some observations/questions.

1) The Bosch Park-Pilot seems to be the only one that has a 120-degree coverage, which, to me, is the only one that makes sense. Detecting obstacles directly behind you is a must, but so is detecting the sides. Just think about a paper-delivery kid who is just about walking across your driveway from your neighbor's house. Unfortunately, this kit is not available in North America (not to mention the don't have it for a '01 Odyssey...)

2) Other than the above, I wonder if there is one best system out there, when considering criteria like coverage area, reliablity, accuracy, cost, ease of installation and maintenance etc.?

3) One of the systems uses microwave technology. (Very) stupid question: is the kind of microwave used here the same as the kind used in a microwave oven? Will it cause any burns on kids?

4) I understand that most products have a sound rating between 70dB and 90dB. Is this range unduly loud?

I appreciate any comments/thoughts/experience etc.
  • jeffgl2jeffgl2 Posts: 3
    I recently installed the 'Ultron3' on our 3 month old Sienna. I started to research into these devices after we recently backed up over my neighbor's bicycle. I decided on the Poron unit based on threads from this and other web sites. I found the packaging and instructions were well put together.

If you're planning to install one on a Sienna, the only tricky part is where to splice in to the wire leading to the backup lamps. For me, I found the best location was under the edge of the rear headliner. There are four locking push tabs directly below the headliner in the rear cargo area. By sliding my fingers in between the edge of the liner I carefully pushed down two of the four tabs on the driver's side. Take your time with this, they break very easily.

This give me about 3 inches to reach in and and retrieve the wire. It is the red wire with the black stripe. I attached a 3M type connector. I then removed the side service panel in the cargo area on the passenger side. This proved to be an ideal spot. It has ample room, and a large hole on the bottom which services a drain tube outside the vehicle. I ran the power lead up behind the weather stripping, the side panels, and up behind the headliner. I grounded to the metal support post in the access compartment.

For the three sensors, I mounted them directly under the rear bumper per the mfg recommendations. There are three tabs that support the plastic bumper cover to the inside frame. These tabs make an excellent mounting base for each of the three sensors. I attached each sensor using the supplied adjustable mount with double edged tape (also supplied) and one small screw into the plastic support tab. I routed the wires to the drain hole on the passenger side.

I temporarily removed the drain tube, and pushed the thin wires through the hole. I then pushed the drain tube back in with a slight squeeze.

The rest just involved plugging the sensor leads to the control unit. I attached some velcro to the back of the unit and pressed it up against a support bracket. I used a small wire tie to hold the speaker to the inside of the grill cover for the access panel. Total install time was about an hour and a half. My only install concession was the outboard sensors could be a little further apart from the center one. I was reluctant to install them to anything other than the mounting tabs, which are spaced a little close together than I would have liked. They are slightly beyond the '12 inches from edge of vehicle' as recommended by the mag.

Does it work? Absolutely. I already avoided a shopping cart at our local super market. Its accuracy in determining distances from objects is impressive. In testing other objects it was also able to detect a small plastic tricycle, garbage cans, etc. So far, so good, although I wonder how well the sensors will hold up in future car washes, bad weather, ice, and snow. Will let you know. Check out www.autotoys.com for more information and current prices. Took about a week to receive after ordering.
    http://www.12voltdirect.com/products/videomirror.htm

"Donnelly's VideoMirror™ uses a 2.5" flip down display connected to cameras that provide today’s drivers with an extra measure of peace of mind."

• barnonebarnone Posts: 118
    what site can i browse to buy the poron system online?
    I think autotoys.com sells the Poron.
    thanks for the info!
    http://www.poronusa.com also sells the system direct to customers.

Drew
    Host
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Do any of these systems have a "hidden" sensor. My dad has the poron mini3 system, but the sensors hang off the rear bumper. I prefer to have something hidden.
    TIA
    Mark
    sonar vision --> easy to install. i hope my parallel parking would ease up. it's just hard to position the sensor because of the spare tire's location
  • pduboispdubois Posts: 73
    You could have a look at the Rostra Obstacle Sensing System. The sensors are hidden inside the bumper plastic fascia (uses doppler radar technology).
    For what it's worth, unfortunately I haven't heard good things about the Rostra system. A couple of people who have installed it complained that it was in-accurate and gave false alarms. One was so frustrated that he returned it and installed the PoronUSA system instead.

Drew
    Host
  • Available in Canada - :Safe Reverse Sonar" - Several years history. Available at Apple Glass Stores. I had it installed on my Honda Odyssey - 2001. Unit placed inright & left corners of rear door. Excellent product. Installed for C$200, plus taxes. It works.
  • Paid $40.00 for mine at k-mart. My son installed it on my 99 Villager and it works great.
  • Mine has one sensor that mounts on either the bumper or the lift up back door. my son mounted mine on the bottom of the door. A hole was already there so I didn't have to drill a hole for the wire, however two very small holes had to be drilled for the mounting screws. 1/16 " for the 3/32" screws.The inside buzzer can be mounted in any convienent place. We mounted mine on the back door just below the back glass. I can hear it real good .
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    The unit is called Backup Alert. I have had mine for 2 years now. It works great wait until they go on sale for $27 each.
  • Anybody have any complaints about the Poron System? The consensus of this forum seems to be that the Poron systems is the favorite. Are the digital readouts accurate?

I recently purchased a Dodge Ram Quad Cab and, unfortunately, I park every day in an extremely tight garage. Any thoughts on how well it will aid in getting my truck extremely close to, but not in contact with, the cars behind me?

Thanks in advance.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    I had a defective control unit. They said to send it in for replacement under warranty. So I send it in and so far no replacement and its been two months.....getting ready to file complaint with the BBB.
  • johnnnycjohnnnyc Posts: 166
    I was going to install it on my ML320 - but the whole 'voice indication' has me thinking it might be a little cheesy. Can anyone confirm that it's actually useful?
  • I've had the Poron Reverse Warning system installed for about 6 months now - see thread #42. It has been a great assist. The only problem is the three sensors sometimes need to be re-aligned (they are mounted under the bumper) after I run the car through the local car wash.

I only have the voice unit - I didn't think I could get used to looking at a digital readout mounted to my rear view mirror while backing out at the same time. I prefer to look over my shoulder.

The voice system has been responsive and precise. It alerts of objects starting at 5 feet and less as well as objects (like people) passing in back of the car. So far, so good.
  • toys4iqtoys4iq Posts: 17
    I just called Poron since they do not have any reps in MA. Spoke with Fred who checked with the management and they would not sell to me (a consumer) directly. He said I have to go through a dealership or an installer.

He quoted me a retail price for the talking unit (Poron Micro 3 Back Talk) of $495 uninstalled. He said this was the newest model and said the one offered at cartoys.com was an older version that does not work well.

The Poron Micro 3 Back Talk has a female voice that anounces at the following distances (8', 5', 3', 2', 12", 8", and any closer she says "crash"). It is a 3 sensor system that can be installed two ways. 1. Attach with bracket under bumper. 2. Drill through bumper (protrudes 1/8"). I asked about damage if you back into something and he said it would not be a problem ..."unless your doing like 20 MPH when you hit something"

He said it uses echolocation and works from -50 degrees to 130 degrees.

My thoughts: I would like something:
    1. that gives shorter distances like 6" and 4" for really tight spaces.
    2. less expensive.
  • frulefrule Posts: 82
    I'm looking at the Poron Mini1-TLV(the talking version with 3 sensors).Does anyone have experience with this unit?How well does it work?...Thanks!