Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Reverse Warning Systems & Cameras

Comments

• gkruger2gkruger2 Member Posts: 1
    Available in Canada - :Safe Reverse Sonar" - Several years history. Available at Apple Glass Stores. I had it installed on my Honda Odyssey - 2001. Unit placed inright & left corners of rear door. Excellent product. Installed for C$200, plus taxes. It works.
  • cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    Paid $40.00 for mine at k-mart. My son installed it on my 99 Villager and it works great.
  • cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    Mine has one sensor that mounts on either the bumper or the lift up back door. my son mounted mine on the bottom of the door. A hole was already there so I didn't have to drill a hole for the wire, however two very small holes had to be drilled for the mounting screws. 1/16 " for the 3/32" screws.The inside buzzer can be mounted in any convienent place. We mounted mine on the back door just below the back glass. I can hear it real good .
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    The unit is called Backup Alert. I have had mine for 2 years now. It works great wait until they go on sale for $27 each.
  • ineedatruck1ineedatruck1 Member Posts: 8
    Anybody have any complaints about the Poron System? The consensus of this forum seems to be that the Poron systems is the favorite. Are the digital readouts accurate?

I recently purchased a Dodge Ram Quad Cab and, unfortunately, I park every day in an extremely tight garage. Any thoughts on how well it will aid in getting my truck extremely close to, but not in contact with, the cars behind me?

Thanks in advance.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I had a defective control unit. They said to send it in for replacement under warranty. So I send it in and so far no replacement and its been two months.....getting ready to file complaint with the BBB.
  • johnnnycjohnnnyc Member Posts: 166
    I was going to install it on my ML320 - but the whole 'voice indication' has me thinking it might be a little cheesy. Can anyone confirm that it's actually useful?
  • jeffgl2jeffgl2 Member Posts: 3
    I've had the Poron Reverse Warning system installed for about 6 months now - see thread #42. It has been a great assist. The only problem is the three sensors sometimes need to be re-aligned (they are mounted under the bumper) after I run the car through the local car wash.

I only have the voice unit - I didn't think I could get used to looking at a digital readout mounted to my rear view mirror while backing out at the same time. I prefer to look over my shoulder.

The voice system has been responsive and precise. It alerts of objects starting at 5 feet and less as well as objects (like people) passing in back of the car. So far, so good.
  • toys4iqtoys4iq Member Posts: 17
    I just called Poron since they do not have any reps in MA. Spoke with Fred who checked with the management and they would not sell to me (a consumer) directly. He said I have to go through a dealership or an installer.

He quoted me a retail price for the talking unit (Poron Micro 3 Back Talk) of $495 uninstalled. He said this was the newest model and said the one offered at cartoys.com was an older version that does not work well.

The Poron Micro 3 Back Talk has a female voice that anounces at the following distances (8', 5', 3', 2', 12", 8", and any closer she says "crash"). It is a 3 sensor system that can be installed two ways. 1. Attach with bracket under bumper. 2. Drill through bumper (protrudes 1/8"). I asked about damage if you back into something and he said it would not be a problem ..."unless your doing like 20 MPH when you hit something"

He said it uses echolocation and works from -50 degrees to 130 degrees.

My thoughts: I would like something:
    1. that gives shorter distances like 6" and 4" for really tight spaces.
    2. less expensive.
  • frulefrule Member Posts: 82
    I'm looking at the Poron Mini1-TLV(the talking version with 3 sensors).Does anyone have experience with this unit?How well does it work?...Thanks!
    trash. The substantial difference in quality and design of products are obvious when compairing the two. I bought one of these and couldn't be happier since. BTW, dirt and debris don't affect this one as compared to the other one.

http://www.rostra.com/rostra-obstacle.htm

Course this is my opinion after having owned and installed both.

• frulefrule Member Posts: 82
    Would you elaborate on the differences?Especially on the accuracy.Thanks!
    built more solidly, wasn't affected by weather and could be mounted in a place not detectable thus affecting the appearnce of the auto or exposing it to damage by mounting on the bumper.

The rostra system filled that bill. Accuracy is determined by several factors for the other manufacturer including weather and cleanliness of the sensor. None of these affects the rostra. The downside to the rostra is that they don't offer a digital display which would tell you exactly how far from the object you are. I weighed the trade off cause in my opinion everything is built heavier duty in the rostra which I thought more important since it is exposed on the exterior of the vehicle.
  • vandalybay1vandalybay1 Member Posts: 43
    I've installed my Poron 37,000 miles ago. It seemed of flimsy construction but it has never failed. Now I am addicted to it.

I mounted it with the display above the rear window of my van. That way I can see it while looking back. I rely more on the beeping than I do the actual distance.

2 days ago, I saw a better installation than mine on an Excursion. Apparently, they ran the wires under the plastic for the rear bumper (or drilled the bumper) and the sensors were mounted (silicone glued?) to the chrome bumper. It looked like it belonged.

I wouldn't hesitate getting another Poron. I haven't tried the other unit but I will look into it as an alternative.
  • hanginthere21hanginthere21 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought an SUV and am looking for a backup warning device. My new car dealer only installs factory authorized parts but gave me a referral to an independent who installs after market equipment. He installs Dolphin EchoMaster equipment. Info on this product is at the website - http://www.parkingsensor.com/index.shtml

He doesn't install Poron or Rostra.

Does anyone have any feedback on Dolphin EchoMaster??

Thank you to all prior posters - it has been very informative reviewing the discussion from the beginning.

Regards,

Hanginthere21

• siteexperts1siteexperts1 Member Posts: 30
    My SUV already has a reversing sensor. It turns out to help with parking I would like a forward sensor (hard to see over the big hood :-). Does anyone know of an aftermarket front-only sensor (that obviously is only enabled for slow speeds).

Thanks
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I used the same type I used for the rear warning system. Kmart sold them for 35 dollars.
  • built4drvzbuilt4drvz Member Posts: 6
    Some systems warn of the shortest distance just below 1.5-2 feet, which is too much. I would need a better precision than that, like Poron's +/-1 inch tolerance, for parallel parking in tight spots like downtown or side streets. We all can guess 2 feet. But now I learn of poor customer service, I guess the best is go with a local retailer where you can return the product conveniently.

I drive a Windstar, so backing up is easier than with a sedan, but up to a 3 feet distance to the other vehicle. A rear spoiler helps in a sedan though. So a real system makes sense if it tells you the distance, while the alarm makes the driver a bit careless, like "ok people, hear that? I'm backing up! so watch out!" and poles and shopping carts can't hear that and won't move.

But why 90% of the people drive-in directly into the parking spots anyway, and don't back up ? I prefer that, I move towards something still that I know where it is, like a wall, a fence, or another PARKED vehicle, and I don't need to take the large turn, even with a sedan, with the front corners close to the nearby parallel vehicle. Then I can exit seeing everything and everyone and not jeopardizing anyone's safety wondering what this van is going to do, can he see us? A large sedan's visibility is even worse (like an Intrepid) because of lower driving position. I can see through the minivan like an aquarium. Sometimes I need to open the door to watch the back though.

Did you notice that almost always people step off the brake, roll the vehicle a bit out of the spot, THEN look and stop? Watch your kids in mall lots while walking behind any idling car, I saw an old lady once hit by her husband's Grand Marquis, she wasn't injured but screamed a lot.
  • margaretemargarete Member Posts: 2
    Any one know if it'll detect toddlers behind an RX300? When I back up, I can't see under the rear glass hatch line and it would be terrible if I ever hurt a child. Any info re the Backup Alert system or something similar would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!
  • eggenbergereggenberger Member Posts: 7
    If you really want to know what is behind you, why not go with a video system. I believe that JCWhitney has one for around $400.00 which consists of a very small video camera that mounts in the trunk and needs just a small hole in the back panel to see through and an inside rearview mirror. The video screen is in the middle of the mirror and blanks out to a full mirror when not in reverse. I believe the viewing angle is something on the order of 120 degrees or so. This would let you see what is back there rather than watch lights, hear beepers, etc.
    Not sure if the size would let you install the camera in the liftgate of a van or SUV......
  • jeffgl2jeffgl2 Member Posts: 3
    See threads 45 and 62. I have had the Poron unit since June of 2001 on my 2001 Toyota Sienna. To date, except for the occassional repositioning of the sensors after a car wash, I have had absolutely no problems with the unit, it has performed flawlessly for 3 years.
  • julierob1julierob1 Member Posts: 3
    We want to add visual backup safety device to our 2005 Avalanche. Have checked out Consumer report but would like to hear 'real' experiences and choices. Thanks
  • ttcttc Member Posts: 17
    Andy¡¦s Top Lites and Accessories (www.andystoplites.com)

Backup-Sensor (www.backup-sensor.com)

CrimeStopper (www.crimestopper.com)

DesignTech International, Inc. (www.designtech-intl.com)

Donnelly VideoMirror with ReversAid/BabyVue (www.donnelly.com)

EZ2BACKUP (www.ez2backup.com)

GDP Parking Sensors (www.gdpsensor.com)

HitchCAM (www.hitchcam.com)

Magnadyne RB-06 (www.magnadyne.com)

MAXVision (no Web address available)

Parking-E (www.stratusgroupsite.com)

Poron Micro3, Poron Mini3LV (www.poronusa.com)

Roldan Products Corp. (www.roldanexport.com)

Rostra Precision Controls (www.rostra.com)

SMARTPARK (www.smartpark.net)

Sonar Vision (www.sonarvision.com)

Speed-O-Tach, Inc. (www.sotelectronics.com/src_backup.php3)

Taurus Electronic Security (www.gobrandon.com)

Trilogix Wireless Backup BAT-2W (no Web address available)

Ultrasonic Back-up Alarm (no Web address available)

VizuaLogic (www.vizualogic.com)
  • mcaltamcalta Member Posts: 3
    My husband was looking into the kind that you stick onto the rear bumper (no wiring required). Will these work as well?
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 44
    Does anyone have any information on the Audiovox sensor system? I have a quote to install the 2 sensor system for $229. :)
  • wiseguy1wiseguy1 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a license plate parking sensor from Reverse Backing Systems that works really well.

It only cost me $30 to have someone install it and there are not any holes in my bumper. Check it out if you don't want to have a permanent installation.
    I had those on my ford ranger and they were knocked off. I was doing a lot of work with it so they might be okay for light duty.

I ended up getting a license plate system from Reverse Backing Systems that I really like. These do not require permanent installation (ie - no holes in the bumper).

hope that helps :-)
  • patobrianpatobrian Member Posts: 2
    Yea, i just got the license plate system from reverse backing systems too and i have been very happy with how it works.

The one I got is: http://www.reversebackingsystems.com/DT104-LP.html

- Pat
  • patobrianpatobrian Member Posts: 2
    I just found the license plate system I bought on ebay - right now it is only $2.25 (I paid like $170 for it)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7985231260&category=677- 9

thought i would help someone out :-)

- Pat
  • jimstrenkjimstrenk Member Posts: 56
    Making a long story short, my girlfriend just bought a new Ford Focus about a week ago. While sitting in the batters box with the F&I guy, she was asked if she wanted to buy "The Protector" paint protection program. After listening to his presentation, she went ahead and purchased both the paint and cloth interior protection packages. :cry:

My questions are what did she buy, is it worth $600.00+, and could some other similar product be have been used instead? :confuse:

After reading some of the posts here at edmunds.com, I'm starting to think that the girlfriend bought an expensive was job. :sick: True?

Any thoughts or comments on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you meant to post in a different discussion, like Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair or Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts).

But yeah, that's wax and Scotchgard and $600 sounds like a rip-off to me. Try one of the discussions linked above for more.

Oh, this discussion may be of interest too (search for mop and glow in there):

Dealer's Tricks - bait & switch, etc.

Steve, Host
  • jimstrenkjimstrenk Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for your reply, Steve. I've reposted my message as you suggested. ;)
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    as above i had it installed (cost $50) but i got it for 129$ at

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/liplfrwi4ser.html

i got the audio alert only (easier install--put the speaker on the back edge near my rear seats)

i think it's tilted a bit, the instructions say you may have to adjust the angle a bit using spacers provided. works great. even not adjusted. you can get alert from an angle as well as directly behind at about 3 feet goes constant at about 1ft. it "sees" my 2 yr old toddler(can't see from the rear view mirror) so tha't why i got it, i wan't to "see" someway when i back up not just for parking. the cameras are great too but too$$$$$
    here are a few pics of the install I had done. I had someone else do the actual installation (it was $39) so I can't help much with instructions if anyone needs them.

I think you can call Reverse Backing Systems and they will talk you through it though.

image">
  • masksavmasksav Member Posts: 13
    I fairly new to this forum so be gentle. I have just purchased a 2006 Toyota Solara Convertible with the Toyota navagation system. I've read several places that you can add an Eclipse backup camera (BCE104) to this system and that the camera is plug and play. My problem is I have yet to find anything that says yes this is the correct camara,here is how you install it, here is how it works, here is where to buy it etc.
    I see references to this on the Solara page but no real answers. So any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • wrkisselwrkissel Member Posts: 4
    I am in a similar position, watching the posts for clues on installing a camera on a '06 Solara Convertible with Nav. One thing I can offer is that the BEC104 camera is available from Crutchfield--I just ordered one.
  • wrkisselwrkissel Member Posts: 4
    I just finished installing a backup camera in my 2006 Camry Solara and can now confirm, and perhaps add to, the helpful information that has already appeared in this forum:
    --The Eclipse BEC104 camera, available from Crutchfield and others, has the right connector and pin-out to plug directly into the back of the Solara’s Radio/Navigation unit. (I would guess that the BEC103 and BEC105 are also suitable.)
    --Since the Solara navigation unit already has a Reverse signal, the electrical installation is indeed plug and play.
    --The Radio/Navigation unit, ATC, their common bezel, and bracket must be removed as an assembly. (Don’t pry at the Radio/Navigation/ATC bezel looking for mounting bolts!)
    --To access the upper two mounting bolts for the Radio/Nav assembly, the panel at the upper center of the dash containing the A/C vents and three small displays (MPG, clock, and temperature) must be removed. The clips are released by prying the panel toward the rear of the car with one or more plastic blades. (On my vehicle, there was adhesive in addition to the clips and I almost gave up before working it loose.)
    --To access the lower two mounting bolts, the top of the console surrounding the shifter must be removed, then the CD box assembly below the ATC. (The clips for these two assemblies weren’t glued and released easily.)
    --I strongly recommend that anyone doing the installation invest $10 in a day’s subscription to Toyota Lexus Service Support at http://www.techinfo.toyota.com/ and print out all the relevant information. (On this website, even after you turn your pop-up blocker off, you may have to hold the CTRL key down as you click on your selections.)
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the post; you may want to cross-post it over in 2004/2005 Toyota Solara Convertible to make it easier for other Solara owners to find.

Steve, Host
    I've read somewhere that the BEC105 is smaller then the 103 or 104. I can’t put my hand on where I read this. Does anybody have any info on the BEC105?
    In this case smaller is better.......
    If you have a backup camera or sensor in your car, you're just an early adopter for a bunch of stuff to come.

"While the best known application for automotive image sensors is rear view assist, there are several key emerging applications, Stith said, including lane tracking or lane departure warning, 360-degree view around the car (no blind spots), parking assistance and adaptive cruise control."

Micron rolls out second generation auto image sensor (EE Times)

Another blurb:

"Cameras used to replace side view mirrors might also help boost fuel economy in some vehicles, such as trucks where large amounts of aerodynamic drag are created by relatively large mirrors."

Chipmaker Sees Big Picture for Cars (PC Magazine)

Steve, Host
    Got this from Eclipse Tech support today on the BEC105

Thank you for contacting Eclipse:

The camera is only about an inch squared but tapers toward the lens. The date of release is not available yet but I'm assuming sometime in jan or feb.

Tech Support

I can wait until Jan or Feb for this one. It's half the size of the 103 and 104
    "While most drivers are aware that there are areas behind their vehicle in which they cannot see, many don't realize how large those areas can be. The problem is worse in trucks and SUVs than in other cars because of their increased height and the distance between the driver and the tailgate or rear window."

SUV backover deaths: What can be done? (CNN)

Steve, Host
  • kthankthan Member Posts: 30
    I am looking for a backup sensor for my 06 Odyssesy. I searched the forum and found that many people liked Poron and Rosta sensors.

Here is my preference:

1. It should detect fairly close distance (I was told that Rosta can detect by 6 inch. According to Poron, they can detect up to 12 inch) because the main reason to buy the sensors is for parallel parking in downtown area.

2. Reliability and durability: This is very important because one failure could damage my car, which will cost a lot.

3. Easy of installation and use: I prefer under the bumper installation. But, Rostra had only two sensors (worried about the coverage). In order to get four sensors in Rostra, I have to drill the bumper. Poron has an edge (no need to drill). But, I am not sure if the sensors are fully hidden (or looks ugly). I also like Poron's voice notification (if it is quite accurate).

Given the preference, please let me know which one would be the best for me. If none of these two, let me know the other model.
    Thank you for your help in advance.
    I had both Rostra and Poron installed. First the poron, then the Rostra. The Rostra seems to me to be way more durable in terms of how it's built. Was never happy with the Poron as it reminded me of a toy and built rather flimsy.

I didn't have any problems with the coverage for my '00 full size Chevy truck.
    Where did you install the Rostra sensors (underneath the bumper or drill the bumper?...I prefer underneath the bumper but I can only install two sensors, compared to four sensors directly attached to the bumper)?

Also, how effective the alarm sound? I think voice activation in Poron sensors is quite appealing (what model did you have in Poron?). Without it, we only know (maybe) 3-4 difference frequency (I guess) without knowing the exact distance I am currently on. But, I am not sure how this really matters in reality, though.

Also, Rostra said everytime I put brake the sensor will reset and re-detect the distance. I don't know it would be the same thing as the other sensors.
    The rostra was installed below the bumper on both sides of the rear license plate.

I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in my bumper so I had 4 small stainless steel brackets made for me which I tack welded to the bumper to install the poron.

The rostra model that I installed had both audio and visual indicators. I didn't bother with the audio and installed the visual indicator in the roof panel between the seats. They were coded red yellow and green for different distances.

The poron model had both audio and a digital led readout as to the distance between the truck and any object.

What it came down to is durability. The wires on the poron are really thin as compared to the cable looking type that came with the rostra. Being installed on the outside of the vehicle and being subjected to just about every type of abuse, the poron did not hold up well and I had to replace the wires once. The second time around I bought the rostra.

I's surprised that your rostra would reset by depressing the brakes. Reason being that the sensors do not turn off until you shift out of reverse so there should be no resetting unless you shifted. Could be that it was installed differently.
    I was informed from one of dealer that I cannot install backup sensors underneath the bumper because Odyssey has plastic bumper. The only way I can do is drill it and install the sensors directly attach to bumper. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, it looks like Rostra had only one color (black). Where can get the sensors painted (matched to my vehicle)?

One more: Rostra has two different sensors (obstacle sensoring system and parking assist). The first one uses microwave technology (mostly used for truck & large van) and the second one uses ultrasonic technology (as most others uses). The first one comes with LED monitor and the second one is sonic (sound alarm) only. But, the advantage of the second one is it can detect as short as 5-6 inch, while the first one detect up to 1 feet (!2 inch). I am leaning toward the second one, but it looks like "microwave" technology works better in harsh weather condition (rain, snow, etc.). Please advise me what to choose.
    Guess no one got one for Christmas?

Steve, Host
  • solaraalsolaraal Member Posts: 1
    I have ordered the BEC105 from Crutchfield and if it is indeed plug and play with my 2006 Solara Convertible with navigation, I will install it in a week. I was wondering if you could share pictures or some insight as to where you mounted the camera and if any special mods were involved. I am thinking of mounting it by the backup lights as there is enough open space at that part of the license plate area.

Thanks for the help.
  • snyder2snyder2 Member Posts: 1
    I have used the AutoPark 2000 for several years. It was probably the first on the market, long before backup sensors were popular at all. The 2000 is a very cheap, basic sensor system. The sensitivity adjustment is not acceptable, and the two little allen screws that hold the unit to its license bracket will drive you out of your mind while trying to install such. Also they have to be removed to readjust the sensitivity control. I used it because it was the only system available in those days. There are better one's on the market now for the same money. Overstock.com is selling refurbished 2000 for $22.00. Good luck. Snyder2 :)