Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

About the Maintenance and Repair Message Board

Comments

• Options
    rae08512rae08512 Member Posts: 6
    ty 4 the follow up.......will check sites u suggest......... tx again
  • Options
    baphillipbaphillip Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why my washer pump doesn't work?

I have a 1997 Avalon and the washer pump stopped
    working a few weeks ago.
    I've looked and looked but cannot find the fuse
    (the covers to the three fuse boxes (in the car and
    under the hood) have descriptions like "AC" and
    "HL" (headlamp?) and "Radio"... but there isn't any
    labeled "washer" or "pump" etc.)

In desperation I pulled all of the fuses to look
    for any blown fuses. They were all okay.

There is a "float" in the washer-fluid tank that
    moves up and down on guides. I thought maybe this
    tells the pump not to run if there isn't any fluid.
    But the tank is full and the float moves freely.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
  • Options
    pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    My suggestion is that you use the Topic Search feature on the left side of this page for Avalon. Then you can stop by an active topic on this vehicle to check in with others who may have some thoughts for you.

Good luck, and welcome to Town Hall.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • Options
    meb235meb235 Member Posts: 3
    The turn signals no longer operated on my Olds Calais. First, they just stayed on; then they blinked very fast. Now, they don't light up outside or inside. The outside lights are all working (hazard lights operate) and the fuse is not blown.
    Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks
  • Options
    jules18jules18 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently looking at a 1992 Saab 9000CD. It looks to be in great condition with just under 30,000 mi. Offered at ~4,500, well under blue book. My concern however is the high maintenance costs affiliated with these cars. I have read mixed reviews and would like an honest and somewhat experienced opinion. The car seems to be a steal. But I am a college student, and if there are problems associated with this vehicle of which I will be paying a fortune for, I would really like to know. (From what I have read from "sportymom's" experience within the archive, I am very very nervous.) I would like any advice available. Thanks!
  • Options
    ed96ed96 Member Posts: 20
    HELP. I NEED A VACUM DIAGRAM FOR A 88 JEEP GRAND WAGONEER V8 360.
  • Options
    byyhillsbyyhills Member Posts: 7
    Loud whinning noise occurs when accelerating up to 25mph. Louder when the outside temperature is over 75 degrees.Dealer says that this noise is normal for the low end Civic. No other owners whom I have skoken to have this noise. Three top notch mechanics have suggested that it is a bearing noise. My car is still under warantee.
  • Options
    We have an active discussion on Honda Civic Problems that you could take a look at - you can click on that highlighted link to go there.

Pat
  • Options
    mimi620mimi620 Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    I have 7500 miles on my 2000 Acura 3.2 TL and I
    went in for a second service which included oil
    change and tire rotation.
    Before I went in to the service, the car is
    extremely quite while driving. Soon after the
    service, I hear my tires rotating sound when I
    drive my car ( something like dub, dub, dub... )
    I went back to the acura dealer and he says that
    the tires have to worn out evenly and the sound
    would go away once this has happened. The sound is
    not a major problem.
    Has this happened to anyone else too ? Appreciate
    your response
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Tire noise after rotation isn't uncommon. It should go away after a couple of thousand miles.
  • Options
    scimitar15scimitar15 Member Posts: 11
    Jules18, I would definitely not buy this car. While Saabs have improved their reliability the last few years the older models from as recently as the mid-late nineties have not been all that reliable. As a college student I am sure you need your extra cash on things other than expensive car repairs, especially on a car that costs more than the average to fix xyz problem.

As one auto writer put it, Saabs don't cost that much to buy at first (heavy depreciation, which should be a clue) but they cost almost as much to repair as an Audi or BMW. Basically a Saab, as the writer went on to say, is a mid teens car to buy but a $30s car to repair.
  • Options
    jules18jules18 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the input. I did more research after submitting the question, and realized the same thing. The vehicle is beautiful, but not very reliable, and I simply couldn't afford the repairs. Have a great day.
  • Options
    jmaher4jmaher4 Member Posts: 2
    WHEN GOING UP HILLS MY TRUCK SEEMS LIKE IT LOOSES POWER AS YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT ALOT MORE GAS BUT IT IDLES FINE AND IT JUST PASSED EMISSIONS.IT ONLY HAS 42000 MILES ON IT.I HAVE CHANGED WIRES,PLUGS,BUT STILL SEEMS THE SAME.
  • Options
    Welcome to Town Hall.

There is a discussion going on in our Pickups conference about F-150 problems. You can click here to go directly there.

The topic title refers to MY 2000 F-150's, but I'm sure that it is fine to ask about other model years there as well.

Good luck, and again welcome.

Pat
  • Options
    bmac6bmac6 Member Posts: 2
    My 96 Taurus, 3.1 liter, drips oil after the engine is killed. Does not seem to leak while engine is running. What could it be?
  • Options
    ovleeovlee Member Posts: 4
    Hi Guys: I am enjoying our 2000 Avalon XLS. I'm at about 5500 miles and have always changed my own oil. What is the correct/best oil filter for this car? Is there a FRAM made for it??? Ciao (better, perhaps, Sayonara)...Ollie
  • Options
    biyonic1biyonic1 Member Posts: 8
    I have loved this Jeep but it has had $1000's in repairs. Most all repairs have been due to shoddy Jeep dealer service dept. workmanship from Chicago area to Cincinnati area.

My post topic is this -

A portion of my tranny case tail has been chipped and the black bubble gum type gunk they secretly crammed in there is starting to fail and now I am really starting to leak fluid. I know when they cracked this. It was in '98 when they rebuilt my rear diff. at 35k mind you, and a week later I brought it back complaining of a new leak. My argument was that this new leak (substantial) suddenly occurred right after they did the work on the rear diff. Their argument was that a leak at the tranny had nothing to do with the diff work.

Now tell me if I am right, when rebuilding a rear diff. you have to drop/lower/swing down one end of the driveshaft. If so, then when they dropped the driveshaft it acted like a lever (crowbar)and cracked the bottom of the tranny case tail.

Oh man oh man I know that is what happened!

Now - how do you think I can get the dealer to cover this screwup?

Please post ideas!

Thanks edmunds for being the best! Love the new site - keep up the good work.
  • Options
    mitsu4mitsu4 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1991 Mitsubishi 3000 gt sl that sputters when under load at 2500 rpms. The car starts and runs great up to 2500 rpms then all hell breaks loose. The car begins to sputter and stall. If I depress the accelerator, the engine will run great again. The engine will rev up to 4000 rpms in "park" with no problems then above 4000 rpms, the same symptoms occur.

When I had the problem diagnosed, the local mitsu dealer says the codes are "embedded" which will cost me several hundred dollars to investigate further.

I have changed the plugs and wires. Now a friend says to change the coil pack and my problems will be solved. I have no idea what this will cost me or how involved this may be. Any ideas?

Any other ideas as to the problem?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    senator63senator63 Member Posts: 1
    Last night I noticed a black rubber hose (about .5 inch ID) hanging down around the gas tank area. I examined the end to see if it was cut or broken. Nothing. In fact, it didn't look like it had been conected to anything. I traced its path to a flat object about a foot square that is placed under the gas tank about in the middle. The object has another hose on the opposite side that disapears up into the upper part of the chassis. The unconnected hose has a clip near its end that matches up with the frame rail that runs from to back on the side of the chassis. When I attach the clip, the only place for the hose to go is into one of the large holes on the rail. So thats what I did. But, what is it??
  • Options
    viking71viking71 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I just bought a 97 Riviera with 36,500 miles on it. My main concern is that it has a pretty major rumble or roar in the right rear that comes on at 30mph and seems to fade at 60mph. Could this be a tire or a wheel bearing? Could someone please give me insight on this?

Also, I'm wanting to go to Mobile One. Should I flush the engine first? There is a lot of mystery involved with lubricants and additives. One guy will tell you no and another will tell you yes... It gets confusing. I just want to take as good a care as possible as I intend on keeping this car for a long time. Any comments are much appreciated.
  • Options
    Raise the back of the car and check for any play in the wheel bearing. If not, switch the rear tires side to side and see if the noise follows it.
    Re the switch to synthetic, check out the "Synthetic motor oil" topic. There are as many opinions as colours of Smarties. :-)
  • Options
    viking71viking71 Member Posts: 2
    Thanx for the ideas. You may get a kick out of this I don't know: It turned out to be wind in the sunroof haha. I laugh because I've been sweating all the expensive possibilities for days since I picked it up...Sunroof noise I can handle.

I was on my way to the dealer today after I posted that message and noticed that everything was as quiet as a church mouse and was like, man! it's not gonna do it for the dealership. You know how those things go. Then I opened the sunroof and it started up, so I closed it and it went away and so on. Man was I relieved! Thanx again and I'll go check those topics.
  • Options
    lady_k72lady_k72 Member Posts: 1
    Please someone help! I own a 1999 Kia which has 53000 miles on it. This is due to I drive quite a distant to work. I recently had an oil at the dealer( this is not my regular thing to do as the prices are quite high) and was informed by the dealer that my car had no oil and was knocking. The dealer changed the oil and said that I would need a new engine in my car cost 2500 dollars. This is based on what the service manager heard..no inspection was done on my car and I don't hear any knocking. But now seven days later my car is reading low oil when I check it. I had a complete stranger to check it just to verify. How is it possible to have no oil after an oil change? Now I am fighing with the dealer and Kia to get them to look at my engine. It is still under waranty and I am at a lost as to what to do next. Any ideas are welcomed
  • Options
    adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    Over the years my 94 Corsica's rear brake drums have not been installed in their origional position. It is impossible to determine what that position is. Is this a problem? Is it worth or possible to have them balanced with the axle assembly? The car does have some noise although this may be my imagination. Can't really feel vibration/imbalance.

Thanks
  • Options
    If you hunt around you might be able to find a shop that still has on car balancing equipment. It'll balance the entire rotating mass.
  • Options
    adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm sorry but your post is very confusing. If your car is under warranty and the engine is in fact damaged, what's the problem exactly?

Why not go to another Hyundai dealer and ask them to check the engine and look for an oil leak if that's the problem? It sounds like you are operating on hearsay and friend's opinions...you need some facts before you can make an intelligent decision regarding your car.
  • Options
    buicklonglifebuicklonglife Member Posts: 1
    My car a Buick 1989 Lesabre is in perfect condition. Milage now is only 19,602!!
    I only have a scrape mark,& it is above the the gas cap.
    This mark is aluminum, as I back up into a police box.Can I get this off of my paint? What should I use to do this?
    It has a slight impression mark, but the paint was not damaged.
    Compared to the latest Buick Lesabre,You want my opinion?
    Piece of junk, No steel bumper protection, lousy inside seats, interier back seats seating very uncomfortable,& the Padding is slim. Etc.
    My car has ultra luxury, & plush car seats, front & back.
    I just read, only the Volva, & Buick Limited have extra long life.
    After you rack up 300,000 miles, it still passes the emission, & state inspection test on the engine,which in my opinion is the finest engine Buick ever built!
    Of course you have to change the oil,& put in a new oil filter every 6,000 miles.
    Besides that, inspect the air filter,& gas filter,if it needs replacing REPLACE IT!
    I go to a GM Oldsmobile Shop every time my window inspection sticker expires, & replace what ever needs to be corrected, with a new GM part.
    I had after 8 1/2 years my cars computer replaced, & just once, my drums turned down, & new front disc pads replaced plus the back drum brakes.
    I pump my brakes, & glide to a stop,slowly, at a red light, & stop signs.
    When I am going very fast, say 45 miles a Hour, I anticipate it for 2 blocks before I approach a red light,& take my foot off of the gas pedal,& glide to it, then when I am a half a block from the red light, I then start pumping my brakes.
    The average CITY BRAKE life of a big car like mine is 10,000 miles
    I will get double that, if I still keep this gem.
    The new cars side door bumper guard is no more,& mine is a thick protruding V shape, wide protection guard, for those nuts out there who puts those dings in your car! They always walk away, when you are not there.
    My car does have lousy milage, but so do the newer ones, for a big car like mine.
    I FEEL SAFE IN MY CAR,as it WAS one of the best safty protection cars on the road!
    Ok you Buick owners I had my say,lets hear from you now. JIM
  • Options
    wtwag1wtwag1 Member Posts: 1
    my 97 seville sts sure has high oil consumption, what is "normal" I'm adding about 1 qt. per 1500 miles...
  • Options
    A quart every 1,500 miles is okay, and I'd consider it "normal enough", on the low side of "normal".

If you notice any sudden increase in consumption over the short term, then I'd have a cylinder leakdown test done, presuming there are no leaks of course. I myself only get "alarmed" when consumption drops below 1,000 miles per quart and continues to drop.....if the engine has high, high miles, then of course heavy consumption could be normal, due to internal wear.
  • Options
    jeildjeild Member Posts: 8
    i'd like to know how hard/easy it is to replace a bad alternator on a '92 mits eclipse (turbo). how much do these "rebuilt" alternators usually cost? is there any place on-line i can shop around at? what tools would i need to do the r&r? thanks for any info.
  • Options
    I don't know how much labor is involved, but I do want to warn you NOT to buy some cheap rebuild from a chain store...get a quality replacement, even if it means paying top dollar. There are lots of inferior rebuilt alternators on the market and they don't last very long.

You might check over at the Coupe/Convertible/Sportscar board and post in the various Eclipse topics to find out the amount of labor involved.
  • Options
    ovleeovlee Member Posts: 4
    Recommendation, anyone?...... My friend sat in his new Avalon, identical to mine,with a wet green jacket on, and now his leather is GREEN behind the driver's back. I do not want this to happen to our car. What's YOUR recommendation for a good leather protection product???? Oldie
  • Options
    abraamabraam Member Posts: 4
    Hilow Sir,
    Could you please respond to my question? It was my first and I'm still trying to do it right. What does the "mark" button do?
    Will be back tonight.
    Regards
    Adriaan
  • Options
    here's the help info for the "mark" feature: