Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Technical Service Bulletins

Comments

• alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Headlamps/Interior Lights Dim Intermittently in Cold Weather (Replace Generator) #01-06-03-001A - (04/11/2002)
    Headlamps/Interior Lights Dim Intermittently in Cold Weather (Replace Generator)
    1999-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue with 3.5L V6 Engine (VIN H - RPO LX5)

This bulletin is being revised to add VIN breakpoints and to include information on 2001-2002 vehicles which may exhibit a similar condition. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-03-001 (Section 06 - Engine).

Condition

Important
    Short term voltage drops (flickers/fluctuations of lights) may occur whenever high demands are placed on the vehicle's electrical system. This is considered a normal generator output characteristic and a repair may not be necessary.

Some owners of the 1999-2001 model year Oldsmobile Intrigue built prior to VIN breakpoint 1F237068 may comment on an intermittent condition where the headlamps or interior lights may dim intermittently. This condition may also be noted in the blower speed slowing or changing pitch intermittently. Some 2001-2002 model year vehicles built after the VIN breakpoint may exhibit a similar condition.

Cause
    On 1999-2001 vehicles built before the VIN breakpoint, this condition may be caused by intermittent low voltage. Transient engine vibrations may induce the generator to experience field discontinuity. This state results in a voltage spike that causes the voltage regulator to reset. During this period, the electrical system drops to battery voltage.

On 2001-2002 vehicles built after the VIN breakpoint, the voltage drop may be due to the electric AIR (Air Injector Reactor) pump cycling. This electric pump causes a large current draw when it starts.

Important
    At no time during the above conditions will the headlamps go out.

Correction
    On 1999-2001 vehicles built before the VIN breakpoint, replace the generator with a revised generator, P/N 10464469, that has circuitry to inhibit the voltage regulator reset condition. Use the procedure below to replace the generator.

On 2001-2002 models built after the VIN breakpoint, do not attempt any repair to the vehicle. This is a normal condition of the vehicle and does not indicate the need for service. If the customer requires reassurance that this is a normal condition, please refer to the AIR pump demonstration section below.

Important
    2000 model year California and Northeast states emission equipped vehicles and all 2001 Intrigues are equipped with the electric AIR pump. After generator replacement, these vehicles may still exhibit very short dips and/or headlamp dimming due to the AIR pump cycling. Refer to DTC P0410 in the Engine Controls sub-section. If the generator has been replaced, any short term headlamp dip should be considered normal. If the customer returns a vehicle that has been corrected with a generator replacement, you may reassure the customer by demonstrating the condition. Refer to the AIR pump demonstration section below.

Open the hood and install fender covers.
    Remove the right front fender brace.
    Disconnect the negative and positive battery cables.
    Remove the underhood electrical center from the strut tower and reposition the electrical center.
    Remove the engine mount strut bracket.
    Remove the main electrical connector to the cooling fans and the bolts retaining the cooling fan assembly.

Important
    When removing the battery, do no tip it more than 40 degrees towards its sides.

Remove the battery hold down bolt and remove the battery.
    Remove the bolts retaining the battery tray and remove the tray.
    Disconnect the IAT air tube.
    Remove the upper air filter housing and filter element.
    Remove the air filter housing assembly screws. Reposition the PCM and remove the air box.
    Disconnect the cooling fan assembly cross-car wire harness clips and reposition it, allowing the cooling fans to be lifted out of the vehicle. Remove the fan assembly.
    The radiator drain will now be accessible from the engine compartment. Place a catch pan under the vehicle. Drain the coolant.
    Disconnect the electrical connector from generator.
    Reposition the protective boot to access the generator output BAT terminal nut.
    Remove the generator output BAT terminal nut and reposition the battery positive lead.
    Remove the serpentine accessory drive belt.
    Remove the bolts from the thermostat housing and remove the housing.

Important
    Even with the radiator drain open and the coolant recovery bottle cap off, a considerable amount of coolant will remain in the engine block. Place a large recovery tray under the vehicle at the thermostat location to capture this additional coolant.
    Remove the radiator to thermostat coolant hose.
    Close the radiator drain valve.
    Remove the idler pulley through-bolt.
    Remove the two remaining generator retaining bolts and remove the generator from the vehicle.
    Clean the mating surface on the engine block
    Install the new generator with the two bolts.
    Install the idler pulley with one bolt. Tighten
    Tighten the generator and the idler pulley bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Notice
    You must coat the threads of the thermostat housing bolts with Pipe Sealant, GM P/N 12346004 (in Canadian, P/N 10953480) or the equivalent. Coolant may walk up the threads creating a coolant leak if the sealer is not applied.

Install the thermostat housing and bolts. Inspect the reusable gasket when reinstalling the housing. If any imperfection is shown on the O-ring gasket, replace it with a new one. Coat the threads of the bolts with pipe sealant, GM P/N 12346004 (in Canada, P/N 10953480) or the equivalent. Tighten
    Tighten the thermostat housing bolts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).
    Install the lower radiator hose to the thermostat housing.
    Install the serpentine accessory drive belt.
    Connect the electrical harness to the generator.
    Install the battery positive lead and the nut to the generator. Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).
    Reposition the BAT terminal nut protective boot.
    Install the cooling fans and secure with the bolts. Tighten
    Tighten the radiator bracket bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
    Tighten the cooling fan shroud bolts to 6 N·m (53 lb in).
    Connect the cross-car wiring harness clips and attach to the top of the radiator. Connect one engine cooling fan electrical connector.
    Install the air filter housing assembly and install the PCM to the air box.
    Install the upper air filter housing and the filter element.
    Install the battery tray and the bolts.
    Install the battery.
    Install the battery hold-down bolt.
    Install the engine mount strut bracket.
    Install the front right fender brace.
    Connect the positive and the negative battery cables. Tighten
    Tighten the negative and the positive battery terminal bolts to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).
    Refill the system with engine coolant.
    Bleed the cooling system. Refer to Bleeding the Cooling System in the Engine Cooling sub-section in the Service Manual.
    Remove the fender covers and close the hood.
    AIR Pump Demonstration
    Using the Tech 2® Diagnostic scan tool, connect the DLC connector to the vehicle and establish communications.
    After entering the vehicle information, select the Powertrain option.
    Select the Special Functions menu.
    Select Engine Output Controls.
    Select AIR System.
    From this screen you may command the AIR pump on and off. Turn the headlamps on. You will now be able to verify and demonstrate this normal operation to your customer.
    Exit the Tech 2® and disconnect the DLC connector.

Parts Information
    Part Number * Description

12553364 * Seal, Thermostat Housing
    10464469 * Generator Assembly

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
  • nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for the two Intrigue posts alcan.

nickper
    You're welcome.
  • mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    These posts are great; I really appreciate seeing them. Howver, it wasn't until the last two msgs were added that I got the idea that they dealt with the Intregue.

In the future, when the auto(s) affected are not very evident, could you please identify the auto or auto line affected.

Thanks for the great work.

Miles
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    At the beginning of every TSB is the vehicles that are covered by it.
    Alcan split the TSB into 2 posts.
    If you look at the first post, you will see on the 4th line where it says "1999-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue with 3.5L V6 Engine (VIN H - RPO LX5)"
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Member Posts: 198
    Has anyone had problems with chattering wipers or wiper blade deposits on the windshield? I've cleaned the glass with Bi-nami and other cleaners per Honda suggestion and also had them replace the blades twice. Once clean with new blades, the wipers work for about 45 minutes and then the noise, deposits and chatter return... the deposits are near the end of the wiper stroke/travel (locations where the wipers reverse direction) Any suggestions? I have checked the blade orientation to the glass and that seems fine. It's almost like the glass is not smooth enough or the tension is wrong (or a bad design). Also tried rain-x early on. Thoughts, suggestions??? I understand that there is a TSB but I can't seem to find out what it says. Please help!
  • mitchdocmitchdoc Member Posts: 18
    NTB03080 Anybody have info on this TSB? It is on the Nissan quest 2004 concerning the doors, but I dont have subscription to read up on it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    mitch---also check the Nissan Quest Problems topic, which is here:

Nissan Quest Problems

MrShiftright
    Host
    mitchdoc,
    if you got that number from NHTSA, it won't do us any good.
    I looked on the 2004 TSB factory numbers and here is what I got.

99-048H 05/20/2003 Battery - Testing/Equipment/Replacement Applications
    03-038 04/14/2003 Navigation System - DVD Application Chart
    99-020C 02/05/2003 Vehicle - Flat Towing Recommendations
    You're in luck.
    I had it archived.
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
  • veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    What can someone tell me about the Tech Bulletin # Verona01 11213, Dated 11/21/03 which has to do with Electrical Noise on AM Stations. Category - Service?
    It is listed on the Suzuki Pit Stop site.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    I'd sure like to know how they got it the TSB info, it hasn't even gone to the dealer's systems yet.
    You'll be lucky if even your dealer has that one listed yet.
    Wish I could help, but Suzuki [at least my sources] doesn't show it yet.
  • hatcher8hatcher8 Member Posts: 6
    Has any one found any other helpful Seinna 2004 message boards????
    sarniasting mentioned in message #1238 that he had seen a TSB listed "on another board" describing a 2004 transmission issue. What other message boards are out there for us??
    This is the only TSB for the transmission on the 2004 so far.

TSB Number: TC007-03
    Title: Transmission Controls - Poor Shift Quality
    This TSB is an ECM claibration for shift enhancement. It can only be done by your dealer and should be under warranty.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,677
    could someone tell me anything about this TSB?

08-36-99 OCT 99 Engine Oil Pressure Light - ON/Flickers

It's listed for a 1998 Intrepid 2.7, but my '00 'Trep was doing this, and the dealer fixed it. I'm just curious about what all had to be done. They told me it had something to do with the wiring.
    NUMBER: 08-36-99
    GROUP: Electrical
    DATE: Oct. 15, 1999
    SUBJECT:
    Engine Oil Pressure Light Flicker
    OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves adding a terminal/wire/vent to the oil pressure switch connector.
    MODELS:
    1998 - 1999 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid
    NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.7L ENGINE.
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    With a hot engine the oil pressure light may be on or flicker on at idle.
    DIAGNOSIS:
    Verify engine oil pressure as described on page 9-21 of the 1999 Concorde/Intrepid/LHS/300M service manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140). If engine oil pressure is within specification perform the Repair Procedure.
    PARTS REQUIRED:
    1 05017800AA Wire Terminal/Vent
    REPAIR PROCEDURE:
    1. Raise vehicle on a suitable hoist.
    2. Remove engine oil pressure switch connector from switch.
    3. Remove sealing dart from the empty cavity at the rear of the connector.
    4. Pull terminal locking ring outward from front (switch) side of connector to gain access to terminal locking tabs.
    5. Install wire terminal/vent, p/n 05017800AA, in place of the removed sealing dart. Slide locking ring back into place.
    6. Attach the connector back on the oil pressure switch.
    7. Spot tape the wire/vent to follow the harness towards the top of the engine compartment.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,677
    You're too cool for words!! :-)
    No problem, if you need more help, let us know. :)
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Hi ,
      I have a brand new 04 dodge ram 2500 regular cab . The drivers side floor is very wet. To much to be from melting snow from my feet . Is there a TSB for a leak? also the gas mileage is less than 10 MPG from the Hemi ? Thanks in advance for your wonderful help
    Since your vehicle is extremely new, there are very few TSBs listed for it yet.
    There doesn't seem to be any TSBs on the leak problem, but check the drain hose for the A/C. I'll bet it is either plugged or have come loose.
    As for the mileage. Yep, that is about right. Around 10-14 mpg is what I have seen.
    my 04 2500 Ram -gas has a "buzz vibration " in the steering wheel and I can feel in the floor through my feet . it starts aroung 60-65 most times sometimes earlier and doesnt go away . Any TSB addressing it thanks Bill
  • anon70anon70 Member Posts: 82
    All of the TSB's just list a summary. Where can i find how to fix? (I have 42k on my Prizm now)

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet?step=step4&- amp;year=2002&make=Chevrolet&model=Prizm&style=LSi+4d- r+Sedan+%281.8L+4cyl+5M%29&zip=20164&popup=current&sy- npartner=edmunds&tid=edmunds...mnt.step2.9.Chevrolet*

Last year, there was only 1 TSB and the dealer didnt know how to fix because the TSb didnt list a solution. The TSB was:

Component Description:
    7. FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP NHTSA Number: 264478
    Bulletin Number: 42
    Bulletin Date: FEB 2002

Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Prizm
    Summary:
    SUBJECT REGARDING DEFECTIVE GAS CAPS. *TT
    The 30 TSB's you mention are consumer complaints which NHTSA has turned into their so-called "service bulletins". They are not General Motors technical service bulletins. Currently, General Motors has 4 Technical Service Bulletins, 16 Field Product Reminder Bulletins, 79 Information Bulletins, 2 Service Administration Message Bulletins, 2 Service Manual Update Bulletins, and 21 Warranty Administration Bulletins which connect to the 2003 Chevrolet Prizm.

What exactly are you trying to fix?
  • candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    We traded our problematic 2002 Caravan for a 2003Caravan. It has under 3000 km (just over 1000 miles)now. We bought it Dec. 1/03. the other day I noticed red liquid dripping onto the snow. I had it towed in to the nearest dealer and they said it had a ruptured transmission cooling hose and that the connection to the rad was loose. They said it was a good thing I had towed it not driven it in.
    Anyone heard of this in a brand new van? It has been very cold here,but I do warm it up for 10-15 min before I drive it. Just curious.
    Probably shoddy assembly line work. Every one out of so many hundreds of cars will have a loose screw or something--yours just happened to be somewhat more critical.

Which is why everyone should get under the hood every couple of fill-ups, even on a new car.
    Thanks for the post but I would not even know what I was looking at/for under there ! My Husband works out of town, that is why we bought a new van. We were hoping NOT to have to worry about it. There are no garages where we live and the closest Chrysler dealer is 70 miles away. I am just lucky I noticed the leak.
    Well you could easily learn to check the oil, coolant and brake fluid levels. The transmission fluid is a bit more complicated but certainly well within your grasp. It's worth the 1/4 hour or so that it would take a knowledgable person to teach you this. New van or not, this is something everyone has to know how to do or else suffer the consequences if a little leak develops and is not noticed.
    I do know how to check the oil, wiper fluid, anti-freeze etc. but I was referring to looking under the Van and knowing what I was looking at/for. The red fluid was all over the air damn and wheel well but even the mechanic said he could not see a leak until he put it on the rack. The hole in the trans cooling line was small and the other leak at the point the line connects to the radiator was only found because he had it upon the rack and was checking everything.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. What I was referring to was a periodic check of all fluids, leading hopefully to a warning that trans fluid was leaking out somewhere.

Some people put a "drip pan" on the floor where they park and that makes it easy to spot any leakage.
    I see what you mean but I did notice the leak immediately. At first I thought someone had fallen and hurt themselves in front of my van when it was parked but realized there was no red stuff anywhere but where I was parked. I called the dealership and was told to have towed in, so no harm was done.
    Great, that's heads up thinking!
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Could any one post the text for this GM TSB on the Olds Intrigue or point me to a previous post on it?

TIA
    Here you go:

Olds Intrigue TSB

Host
  • jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    Our Olds Intrigue showed a diagnostic code P1811 last year and the dealer simply replaced a part. This year we again had a whirrrrr noise and a clunk into gear. Now our 2001 is in the shop for a complete transmission overhaul. Any idea about what the P1811 entails? Why don't the TSBs show the document on most of them?
    P1811
    Circuit Description
    The transmission pressure is modified by an adaptive modifier, which controls the shift execution time. This diagnostic tests the time required to accomplish the shift. If the shift takes longer than 0.65 seconds and the adaptive modifier cannot shorten this time, then a counter increases by one.
    If the PCM detects a counter value of 2 during one trip, then DTC P1811 sets. DTC P1811 is a type C DTC.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The shift is adaptable.
    The 1-2, the 2-3 or the 3-4 shift adapt cell has reached its limit.
    Conditions for Setting the DTC
    The 1-2.2-3 or 3-4 shift is longer than 0.65 seconds, twice in one trip.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A scan tool can clear the DTC.
    The PCM clears the DTC from PCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a non-emission-related diagnostic fault occurring.
    The PCM cancels the DTC default actions when the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the PCM.
    Slips, Harsh Upshift or Garage Shifts, Launch Shudders, Flares, Erratic Shifts and Intermittent Concerns, DTC P1811 or P0748 Set (Replace Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assembly) #00-07-30-002B - (07/19/2002)
    Table 1: Line Pressure Specification Table
    Slips, Harsh Upshift or Garage Shifts, Launch Shudders, Flares, Erratic Shifts and Intermittent Concerns, DTC P1811 or P0748 Set (Replace Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assembly)
    1997-1999 Buick Riviera
    1997-2002 Buick Park Avenue
    1998-2002 Buick LeSabre
    1999-2002 Buick Regal
    2000-2002 Buick Century
    2002 Buick Rendezvous
    1997-2001 Chevrolet Lumina
    1997-2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1999-2002 Chevrolet Venture
    2000-2002 Chevrolet Impala
    1997- 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1997-2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette
    1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    2001-2002 Oldsmobile Aurora (3.5L)
    1997-2002 Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Prix
    1999-2002 Pontiac Transport/Montana
    2001-2002 Pontiac Aztek
    with Hydra-Matic 4T65-E (RPOs MN3, MN7, M15, M76)

This bulletin is being revised to add additional models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-07-30-002A (Section --Automatic Transmission).

Condition
    Some owners of the above vehicles with a Hydra-Matic 4T65-E transaxle may comment on harsh upshifts or harsh garage shifts, soft shifts, shudders on hard acceleration, or shifts erratic. These conditions may appear intermittently or set a DTC P1811 or P0748. During diagnosis, a low or high line pressure (actual versus desired) may be observed.

Cause
    The above condition may be due to any one of the following which may affect line pressure output:

Sediment inside the pressure control (PC) solenoid valve, causing the PC solenoid valve to mechanically bind.
    Sediment in the valve body, causing the torque signal regulator valve to stick.
    Incorrect transaxle oil level.
    Correction

Important
    Any of the above conditions may be intermittent, therefore, this test should be performed at least three times.

Refer to the Line Pressure Check Procedure in SI, along with the Line Pressure Specification Table below, to determine if actual versus desired pressures are within the values specified. The Scan Tool is only able to control the PC solenoid valve in PARK and NEUTRAL with the vehicle stopped. This protects the clutches from extremely high or low pressures in DRIVE or REVERSE ranges.
    If the actual versus desired pressures are not within the values specified, clean the valve body and replace the PC solenoid valve, if necessary.

Check the PC solenoid valve actual versus desired pressures to verify the new PC solenoid valve is responding correctly.

Refer to the Automatic Transaxle Section of the Service Manual for the proper repair procedure.

Line Pressure Check Procedure
    Tools Required
    J 21867 Universal Pressure Gauge Set

Important
    Before performing a line pressure check, verify that the pressure control (PC) solenoid valve is receiving the correct electrical signal from the PCM.

Install a Scan Tool.
    Caution
    Keep the brakes applied at all times in order to prevent unexpected vehicle motion. Personal injury may result if the vehicle moves unexpectedly.

Start the engine and set the parking brake.
    Check for a stored Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).
    Repair the vehicle, if necessary.
    Check the fluid level. Refer to the Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure.
    Check the manual linkage for proper adjustment.
    Turn the engine OFF. Remove the oil pressure test hole plug and install the J 21867.
    Put the gear selector in PARK range and set the parking brake.
    Start the engine and allow the engine to warm up at idle.

Notice
    Total test running time should not be longer than two minutes, or else transmission damage could occur.
    Access the PC solenoid valve control test on the Scan Tool.
    Increase the PC solenoid actual current from 0.0 to 1.0 amps in 0.1 amp increments. Allow the pressure to stabilize for five seconds after each pressure change. Read the corresponding line pressure on the J 21867.
    Refer to the Line Pressure specification table. Compare the data to the table.
    If pressure readings differ greatly from the table, refer to Incorrect Line Pressure.
    Remove the J 21867.
    Apply sealant, P/N 12345382 (in Canada, P/N 10953489), to the oil pressure test hole plug.
    Notice
    Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
    Install the oil pressure test hole plug. Tighten
    Tighten the oil pressure test hole plug to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

Part Number Description
    10478146 Pressure Control Solenoid - Valve Asm.
  • jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    Thank you for the text. We should get our car back today.
    I have a noticeable vibration in my 04 2500 SLT Hemi ram auto 4:10 axle.
     The dealer has balanced the tires to no avail . After the second visit they said they dont "see " any problem . They blamed the vibration on "its a heavy duty truck" " why dont you try adding some weight to the bed and drive around with the tailgate off . This is a definite vibration . You can feel it in your feet , seat and it distorts the image in the rear view mirror . Are there any TSB' addressing this problem . I read an antedotal story about a redesigned power steering hose may have helped another owner with the similar vibation
    Where can i find these TSB's you mentioned? it's not on Emdunds.com

THX

--------------
    #330 of 345 by alcan Dec 30, 2003 (7:27 pm)
    The 30 TSB's you mention are consumer complaints which NHTSA has turned into their so-called "service bulletins". They are not General Motors technical service bulletins. Currently, General Motors has 4 Technical Service Bulletins, 16 Field Product Reminder Bulletins, 79 Information Bulletins, 2 Service Administration Message Bulletins, 2 Service Manual Update Bulletins, and 21 Warranty Administration Bulletins which connect to the 2003 Chevrolet Prizm.

What exactly are you trying to fix?
    That website is restricted. If you can supply a TSB number or symptom, I'll see what's there for you.
    re: 2002 Chevy Prizm

How about just the 4 Technical Service Bulletins, 16 Field Product Reminder Bulletins, 2 Service Administration Message Bulletins, and 2 Service Manual Update Bulletins.

if that's too much, leave out the 16 Field Product Reminder Bulletins.

thx
  • gopackersgopackers Member Posts: 11
    I am trying unsuccessfully to program the remotes for my 1998 Toyota Sienna minivan. I am told I need TSB EL009-98 "Programming OEM Wireless Door Lock Remotes Transmitters."
    Can anyone post the TSB for me or a link to it? Thanks.
  • ammswarzammswarz Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Alero GLS coupe. At slow speeds or when I turn, there is a scraping noise from the front end. There are a few TSBs posted in this forum for GM brake problems which help me a lot, but I'm also interested in the TSB #02-03-10-003 from June 2002 - "Tires/Wheels - Scraping/Scrunching Noise." Does anyone have the full text of that TSB? Thanks!!
    File In Section: 03 - Suspension
    Bulletin No.: 02-03-10-003
    Date: June, 2002
    TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Scraping/Scrunching Noise From Front of Vehicle During Low Speed Turning and Braking (Clean the Front Wheels and Replace Front Tires Only)
    Models:
    1999-2002 Oldsmobile Alero
    1999-2002 Pontiac Grand Am
    with RPO QSK (Goodyear(R) Eagle(TM) RSA Tires) or RPO QQK (Goodyear(R) Eagle(TM) LS Tires)
    Condition
    Some customers may comment on a noise from the front of the vehicle during low speed cornering, braking and parking lot maneuvers. The noise sounds like a scrunching/scraping noise. ONLY vehicles equipped with 16 inch (406 mm) aluminum wheels with Goodyear(R) Eagle(TM) RSA or Goodyear(R) Eagle(TM) LS tires are affected.
    Cause
    This condition may be caused by raised ribs on the tire sidewall contacting the rim flange and creating an audible noise during vehicle cornering maneuvers. The rubbing action may cause minor cosmetic chafing on the rim flange, but will have no negative affect on the tire/wheel performance or durability.
    Correction
    Diagnosis
    ^ The vehicle will be equipped with 16 inch (406 mm) aluminum wheels with Goodyear(R) Eagle(TM) RSA or Goodyear(R) Eagle(TM) LS tires ONLY.
    ^ The noise is commonly misdiagnosed as a faulty front wheel bearing or worn front brake pads.
    ^ Raise the front tire pressure to 303 kPa (44 psi) or substitute the front tire/wheel assemblies with a known good set and road test the vehicle. If the noise is reduced or eliminated, the tire to wheel interface is the cause.
    Follow the service procedure below to correct this condition.
    Service Procedure
    1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information subsection of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # 632491).
    2. Remove both front tire wheel assemblies from the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in the Tire and Wheels subsection of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # 702013).
    3. Remove all the wheel weights and dismount both front tires from the wheels. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting in the Tire and Wheels subsection of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # 290800).
    Important: DO NOT remove metal material from the flange area while cleaning the flange area.
    4. Clean the inner and outer wheel flange area with a ScotchBrite(TM) General Purpose Pad - Marron 3M(R), P/N 051131-37447, or equivalent, and Brake Parts Cleaner, GM P/N 12346139 (in Canada, P/N 10653463).
    Important: The GG grooves (railroad track type markings) or the tire side walls are for appearance only and DO NOT affect the tire/wheel performance.
    5. Inspect the side walls of the tires for GG grooves near the bead. If the tires have GG grooves, the tires require replacement.
    6. Replace the front tires ONLY with non-GG grooved tires. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting in the Tire and Wheels subsection of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # 290800).
    7. Re-balance the front tires. Refer to Tire and Wheel Assembly Balancing - Off Vehicle in the Vibration Correction subsection of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # 664222).
    8. Install both front tire/wheel assemblies on the vehicle. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in the Tire and Wheels subsection of the Service Manual (SI Document ID # 702013).
    Important: When ordering tires, be sure to request tires built AFTER the DOT numbers listed in the VIN breakpoint table at the beginning of this bulletin.
    9. For vehicles repaired under General Motors Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty (In Canada, Total Warranty), refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 00-03-10-003B (SI Document ID # 796375). Dealers in Canada refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-03-10-003.
    Parts Information
    Obtain tires from your local tire distributor or contact Goodyear(R) Tire & Rubber Co. at 1-888-OE Service (1-888-637-3784), (in Canada 1-800-387-3288).
  • ammswarzammswarz Member Posts: 3
    Thanks!!! I checked my tires, and I have the groove. The tires aren't cheap, but this sure beats trial-and-error. I never would have guessed replacing the tires would fix it.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    This should be for the transmission for a 04 Malibu 4T45E 3.5 L V6 also if it has Julian dates what are they in the current calender. Thanks
  • bobby1bobby1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 T&C Lxi a few months ago and the power window on the drivers is refusing to go up. The problem started as an occasional inconvinience that would correct itself within a few moments but has recently started to get worse. Any suggestions as to the problem and/or fix.
    Thanks