Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

XJ6 Sovereign Jaguar

2»

Comments

• Options
    c43amg7c43amg7 Member Posts: 32
    I had a '95 XJ-12 Sedan (essentially a Van den Plas without the fluted grill and plinth, but with the V-12 and all options) -- great car and no trouble at all with the V-12. Tremendous torque and great for uphill passing -- faster than any S-class (including the S600 -- too heavy) and the 740s -- a 750 would be very close. Eevryone ought to have a V-12 at least once in their life (teaches the kids to spot cheap premium -- got 10.5 MPG city and 16 highway, which is not bad for two 3L V-6s, each getting 21 city and 32 highway!).

Drove it from 10,000 miles to 50,000 miles but Jaguar didn't want to roll over the lease, so I let it go. Wife also had an '86 XJ6 at the same time -- the best of the Series III in terms of both styling and reliability -- also trouble free. Women love Jaguars.

Have now gone over to the dark side -- C43 AMG, 420SEL and a 190E Limited Edition (with factory Sportline). M-B repair costs similar to Jaguar and, of course different driving feel. Finding a good Jaguar independent once it's out of warranty is key -- I would myself avoid the XJ40s and go after '95 or take a late Series III -- '86 or '87.
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Whoa...

Just one question here.

You date a woman who drives the automotive sensory deprevation chamber?

Oh wait... tis for sale... Has she seen the light yet?

As far as the VDP.. I'm pretty conservative in my descriptions... it is that nice. Seriously. Even I am duly impressed. OK, so it has the odd parking ding. There :)

Bill
    PS... I got a nice 93 164S 5-sp in... Tell yer GF we take trade-ins.. haha!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, Bill, I don't try to influence other people's choices if they don't ask me. I think Lexus are very nice cars, but god are they boring to drive. Maybe some of the new ones they are making now with 6-speeds and some guts might be better, I'll have to see. I find Jaguars pretty boring to drive, too, but they are pleasant and comfortable, so I understand their appeal. Even the XK8 I drove did nothing for me.

But I don't expect jaguar to cater to my narrow definitions of "fun" in driving. They USED to do that many years ago, but now, to stay alive they have to appeal to a wide variety of tastes. I mean, unless you want to be as small as Morgan!

Now an Alfa 164, that is a fun car to drive, but not one I would recommend for most ladies. I do know a few who drive them, but winding up the engines and slamming the gears is not to most women's tastes. This is why you see so many women drivers in XJ6s, for the refinement.
This discussion has been closed.