Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata Front Suspension "Thunk"

Comments

• Options
    lenstanglenstang Member Posts: 68
    I read your posts. I guess I should go back to the dealer again and try to get them to replace the struts and mounts as you did. This is really inconvenient for me.
    I think it will be hard to get them to do it. However I really dislike driving the car with the noise.
  • Options
    Do you get the noise when the back wheels go over the bumps?
  • Options
    leahcimleahcim Member Posts: 10
    I hear more noise from both rear wheels than from the front. If I were to rank the four wheels, the left (driver side) front wheel seems almost normal; the right front has some noise, and the two rear wheels are very noisy. It is as if something were loose in the trunk, or as I have said before, the noise is as if the car body is bouncing off the suspension which would be the two rear wheel struts.

In my 03 Accord, I never heard such noise.
  • Options
    loradoraloradora Member Posts: 16
    I am also from W. Pa and bought my car from Wright Hyundai in Wexford. I just picked it up today after it being in the shop for a week and they replaced the entire right front strut assembly and some rubber insulator. The steering is tighter, but I now think I'm hearing the noise on the left side!!! If I do, back it goes and they order all new parts for the left side.
    I'm upset that we are having to do this with a brand new car....I have a 2009 Sonata, but unsure of which model. How dumb is that?
    Also, does your Sonata have a body odor smell to it on hot days? I'd be very curious to see if yours does too. Please let me know.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Good to hear from you. I have 4 cyl Sonato. Basically the base car. I don't have any body odor in the car but after putting it in the garage when I get home after driving around I smell 'rubber'. I hope that it is only the rubber mounts that hold the exhaust system the frame.

As to the noise, my dealer, Bowser, let me drive two other cars from his lot. One was another car like mine still with the white plastic on it as shipped. I heard the same suspension noise. Hard springs is what the service manager tells me. The o;ther was the car my sales person was driving. His was a 6 cyl with leather and all that. Same noise, although not quite as loud.

It's a shame the car does not handle road patches and tar lines without noise. On the highway it rides very nicely. Smooth roads fix my noise problems.

One other problem that I have is AM radio static on stations on the dial like KQV. Also, KDKA develops a lud HUM near certain power lines. I never had this im My Honda Accord. Also never any road noise like this car.

I think I bought 2 Hyundai cars this time; my first and my last.
  • Options
    What color is your Sonata? Mine is a 4 cyl. also...and is willow gray. I think we have narrowed the odor coming from the vinyl interior and it is making me very mad. I'm calling Hyundai Customer Service tomorrow morning to file an official complaint. I had to buy an air freshener to help mask the smell, which gives me a headache!
    I haven't listened to any AM stations since buying the car...we got free Sirius radio for 3 months when we purchased the car...which I will not be paying for after three months.
    I have to get to the bottom of this suspension issue as well as the smell issue. I would like to take it back to them and get a different car. Lemon law?? We'll see!
  • Options
    I have a base 4 cyl car. I have loud noise over bumps, like something is loose.
    The dealer also said hard springs. I drove two other cars that sounded about the same. The other cars belonged to two friends. They drove mine as well. They both said the cars sounded the same. I'm not happy with it. When I get my first oil change I'll talk to them again about it.
  • Options
    My color is 'bright silver'. The interior is the medium grey color. I too will not pay for the XM radio. The seats are cloth, so no vinyl there. The only large source of vinyl is the dash. Hard plastic usually has no odor.

I've not excelled on gas mileage. I get about 21-22 mpg for all around driving. How are you doing?
  • Options
    What is the procedure for filing a complaint?
  • Options
    engbertengbert Member Posts: 9
    In my 3 month old 2009 Sonata 4cyl GLS I have had a rotten eggs smell since purchase. I recently discovered that it is coming from the seal between the inside window sills and the window on each door.

I would like to hear if anyone else has it. On a hot day, when the car has been sitting in the sun, roll down a window and sniff the slot where the window goes into the door.

I have seen the door with the inside panel removed, and this one strip of seal seems to be the only place that smells.

The only other complaint I have about this car is the difficulty of seeing some of the instruments because of sun glare. Otherwise I am very pleased with the car.
  • Options
    In my 3 month old 2009 Sonata 4cyl GLS I have had a rotten eggs smell since purchase. I recently discovered that it is coming from the seal between the inside window sills and the window on each door.

I would like to hear if anyone else has it. On a hot day, best when the car has been sitting in the sun, roll down a window and sniff the slot where the window goes into the door.

I have seen the door with the inside panel removed, and this one strip of seal seems to be the only place that smells. I was glad to find that it is so localized, altho there could be some similar material hiding elsewhere where I did not find it

The only other complaint I have about this car is the difficulty of seeing some of the instruments because of sun glare. Otherwise I am very pleased with the car.

I hope others will report their findings, and also what they have been able to do about it.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about how to file a complaint, but I think I'm going to find out. I have written the sales manager at Wright Hyundai and questioned about this. I will let you know the answer. Of course, I think today is his day off, so probably won't hear anything until after Wednesday.

The smell is coming from the vinyl by the window where you would rest your arm while driving. For some reason, I don't think the vinyl on the dashboard is smelling. My nose has sniffed every inch of vinyl in that car and it's only in certain places that it really smells...and that just doesn't make sense!

The funny thing is, they called with a phone survey to see how the dealership did on the service on my car. Now, how could I go and tell them everything was peachy keen, when really it wasn't. I kept stressing to her that the work isn't done but that I am happy with how the service manager is dealing with this situation. He's trying to "sweep up the mess made by Hyundai when they tried to tweek the suspension and now he has to deal with figuring out just what needs to be done." So, I'm happy with him, just not their product.

I love the car otherwise. I haven't figured out the gas mileage and we don't have the model that has the computer generated information. We are taking a trip in it next month and will do the figuring out. It sure does better than our Ford Explorer does on gas, I do know that much!

I'll keep you posted!
  • Options
    Loradora

I too thought the smell was from the vinyl. However, if you get them to remove the door panel you will find a straight Z section seal, dark grey, just inside the window slot, attached to the inside of the door panel.

That is where the smell is coming from. I was pleased to find this, because it means that if they can make some of these strips without the smell the problem would be cured. The problem is not throughout the car.

If you wind the window down and smell the slot it goes into in the door, you can smell it almost as well as by removing the inside door panel, which involves about six screws.

Possible just detatching the strips and heating them or boiling them might do the trick, but I think Hyundai needs to find the solution. The strips do not seem to be glued on - just little hooks as far as I could tell.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh! You are so correct! We went downstairs and sniffed all window slots and the smell is there! Oh my gosh.....I'm going to forward on your information to my dealer and see just what can be done. How did you figure this out?

Did you take your off and boil it? What made you think of doing that? Just curious.

I look forward to getting this solved.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    With regard to your "static" on the AM band. Since time immemorial AM has always been sensitive to external electrical interference. AM has always been noisy around electrical storms and their lightning strikes, electric appliances turning on-off, even self generated noise (from the ignition systems) back when cars had distributors and points. There was a small filtering capacitor to, well, filter out this high voltage electrical noise. Some of the worst static (aside from lightning bolts) was generated by high voltage lines near or crossing the highway. This is exactly why FM was developed to minimize outside or external electrical interference.Since FM and now XM interests 99% of car radio listeners manufacturers treat AM as an afterthought and do not engineer effective AM circuitry so...A.M. sucks. But first and foremost be aware that A .M. reception IS prone to electrical interference.
  • Options
    Loradora
    thanks for the reply. I have not tried any treatment yet - waiting to see what Hyundai will do.

I would be interested to hear what your dealer says.
  • Options
    I don't disagree with what you say, but only the Hyundai has this problem. I did not have it with my Accord, and I've talked with owners of Chevys, Fords, and other makes in the area and no one has any problems in ths area. I also talked with a Hyundai owner of an SUV and he gets interference in the same area. I think the antenna in the Sonata is not very well set up
  • Options
    vinngvinng Member Posts: 12
    My 2009 Sonata Limited (1900 miles) is the worst car I have ever driven. This car when going over small bumps and road cracks makes noise like there is something loose. The dealer chnaged the shocks at 1400 miles, and still there is rattles and noise you would expect from a 20 year old car. I hate driving this car and use only when I must. It's a dangerous car to drive because one could easily lose control while driving, withs it's jarring effect when hitting bumps or road irregularities
  • Options
    I noticed this noise right away. I wish I had driven the car over bumps before I bought it. When the dealer changed the shocks was it front or back? Did this make any difference? I took out the trunk floor and left it out. Driving around seems a little quieter. I'm thinking it bounces around. It is not held down like some cars I have seen. I really don't want to change any parts if I can avoid it. I think sometimes it could make things worst.
  • Options
    So your dealer admits there is a problem with the noise. When I go back for the first oil change and will report the problem again. I had asked that they look at it when I picked up my plates. I drove the mechanic around. The roads there are not very bumpy. He said the car was normal. They also said they looked at it and it was fine.
  • Options
    4boomer4boomer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Sonata V6 Limited....same noise....my mom's 2003 Dodge Neon is quieter than mine.
  • Options
    4boomer4boomer Member Posts: 2
    I would describe the sound as "how a loose lid on a boiling pot sounds".
  • Options
    My question is...if we complain to our dealership/service department, does that go to Hyundai or do we need to call the 800 number to complain?

They changed my front strut assembly, insulator and some other washer and it made it quieter but we hear the same noise on either the front or the back now.

I'm going to check my trunk floor and maybe take it out to see if we notice a difference there.

Also, the BO smell is definitely coming from the window crack area. When driving with the windows up, you don't smell it...put them down and it's all through the car. I too do not like my car, which is a very sad thing. I want to be excited when I drive it....not aggravated.

Lenstang---maybe you can get them to ellaborate on what the service advisor means by "issues". We can tell them ALLL the issues if thye'd like. Right>?
  • Options
    gslav1gslav1 Member Posts: 23
    I recently purchased a 2009 sonata and to have a very bad thumping from both the rear and front suspensions, and the front wheels feel like they are bouncing over raised bumps,it wanders all over the road at speeds over 50 MPH and vibrates at speeds over 65 MPH. I feel like I was taken!!!

Any info on a fix would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Have you driven one?
  • Options
    Yes I to own A 2009 sonata, and have the same problems.
  • Options
    moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    So I was getting some strange sounds from my front area around the wheels, these sounds sped up as the speed increased. After taking it to the dealer to check into it, they found a most surprising thing. A pinecone had somehow gotten wedged on the inside of the wheel. Truly bizarre, but luckily it was removed before it could cause any lasting damage. So I personally don't notice any front suspension issues...except for pinecones invading my car.
  • Options
    sonataowner09sonataowner09 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 sonata and while parking, I pulled up too close to a concrete barrier that had a piece of metal rod sticking up out of it (which I didn't see). When I backed out, I tore the black vinyl protector attached to inside of bumper in front of right front tire. What is this part name so I can look for a replacement?
  • Options
    After driving around for a few days with the trunk floor out I found that it has nothing to do with the noise. I put it back in. I guess I'll report the problem again to the dealer when I'm there for the first oil change. It sounds a little bit like a bowling ball going into the gutter when I go over bumps. It's very annoying.
    If anyone out there comes up with a fix please let it be known.
  • Options
    ksmigelksmigel Member Posts: 56
    #170 of 183
    Re: LOUD NOISE OVER BUMPS [lenstang] by vinng
    Oct 09, 2008 (8:38 am)
    Save | Reply

Replying to: lenstang (Oct 05, 2008 12:16 pm)
    My 2009 Sonata Limited (1900 miles) is the worst car I have ever driven. This car when going over small bumps and road cracks makes noise like there is something loose. The dealer chnaged the shocks at 1400 miles, and still there is rattles and noise you would expect from a 20 year old car. I hate driving this car and use only when I must. It's a dangerous car to drive because one could easily lose control while driving, withs it's jarring effect when hitting bumps or road irregularities

#171 of 183
    Re: LOUD NOISE OVER BUMPS [vinng] by lenstang
    Oct 09, 2008 (10:10 am)
    Save | Reply

Replying to: vinng (Oct 09, 2008 8:38 am)
    I noticed this noise right away. I wish I had driven the car over bumps before I bought it. When the dealer changed the shocks was it front or back? Did this make any difference? I took out the trunk floor and left it out. Driving around seems a little quieter. I'm thinking it bounces around. It is not held down like some cars I have seen. I really don't want to change any parts if I can avoid it. I think sometimes it could make things worst.

#173 of 183
    Re: LOUD NOISE OVER BUMPS [vinng] by lenstang
    Oct 09, 2008 (2:02 pm)
    Save | Reply

So your dealer admits there is a problem with the noise. When I go back for the first oil change and will report the problem again. I had asked that they look at it when I picked up my plates. I drove the mechanic around. The roads there are not very bumpy. He said the car was normal. They also said they looked at it and it was fine.

#174 of 183
    Re: THUNKING [lmaxick] by 4boomer
    Oct 09, 2008 (5:44 pm)
    Save | Reply

Replying to: lmaxick (Jun 04, 2008 3:41 pm)
    I have a 2009 Sonata V6 Limited....same noise....my mom's 2003 Dodge Neon is quieter than mine.

#175 of 183
    Re: Ref: Hyundai Front Suspension "Thunk" [bobisnext] by 4boomer
    Oct 09, 2008 (5:49 pm)
    Save | Reply

Replying to: bobisnext (Jun 06, 2008 5:12 am)
    I would describe the sound as "how a loose lid on a boiling pot sounds".

#176 of 183
    Re: LOUD NOISE OVER BUMPS [vinng] by loradora
    Oct 10, 2008 (3:25 am)
    Save | Reply

My question is...if we complain to our dealership/service department, does that go to Hyundai or do we need to call the 800 number to complain?

They changed my front strut assembly, insulator and some other washer and it made it quieter but we hear the same noise on either the front or the back now.

I'm going to check my trunk floor and maybe take it out to see if we notice a difference there.

Also, the BO smell is definitely coming from the window crack area. When driving with the windows up, you don't smell it...put them down and it's all through the car. I too do not like my car, which is a very sad thing. I want to be excited when I drive it....not aggravated.

Lenstang---maybe you can get them to ellaborate on what the service advisor means by "issues". We can tell them ALLL the issues if thye'd like. Right>?

#177 of 183
    Re: Still No "Thunk" Description [dgs4] by gslav1
    Oct 10, 2008 (6:43 pm)
    Save | Reply

Replying to: dgs4 (Jun 07, 2008 6:38 pm)
    I recently purchased a 2009 sonata and to have a very bad thumping from both the rear and front suspensions, and the front wheels feel like they are bouncing over raised bumps,it wanders all over the road at speeds over 50 MPH and vibrates at speeds over 65 MPH. I feel like I was taken!!!

Any info on a fix would be appreciated.

#178 of 183
    Re: Thunk? [2002slt] by gslav1
    Oct 10, 2008 (6:46 pm)
    Save | Reply

Replying to: 2002slt (Jun 07, 2008 4:58 am)
    Have you driven one?

#179 of 183
    Re: LOUD NOISE OVER BUMPS [loradora] by gslav1
    Oct 11, 2008 (3:57 pm)
    Save | Reply

Replying to: loradora (Oct 04, 2008 3:42 pm)
    Yes I to own A 2009 sonata, and have the same problems.

#182 of 184
    Re: LOUD NOISE OVER BUMPS [loradora] by lenstang
    Oct 12, 2008 (4:54 pm)
    Save | Reply

Replying to: loradora (Oct 10, 2008 3:25 am)
    After driving around for a few days with the trunk floor out I found that it has nothing to do with the noise. I put it back in. I guess I'll report the problem again to the dealer when I'm there for the first oil change. It sounds a little bit like a bowling ball going into the gutter when I go over bumps. It's very annoying.
    If anyone out there comes up with a fix please let it be known.

These comments, which I believe are very honest and representative and NUMEROUS, are why I'm completely abandoning the idea of buying any Hyundai.

Suspension issues and complaints are way more common in Hyundai than any other make of car that I can ever recall, and I can not believe Hyundai can't locate, reveal and fix the source of all these suspension noises and issues affecting so many of their models, and especially common on the Sonata.
  • Options
    Welcome to the world of Hyundai Sonata. I now have about 3800 miles on my car which came to me mid-July. Service mgr. says all is fine. That is just the way the car is made. I now know what Consumer's Reports meant when they said the car has "suspension noise". I too wish I had ridden the car over a surface with patched potholes and heavy tar lines before I bought it. The car is OK on smooth roads but not for the roads we have in W. PA.

Does anyone have a problem with static and interference on the AM dial? This car has the worst radio of any car I have ever owned or driven. Dealer made an attempt to fix this but only made it worse. I'm still waiting for service mgr. to get OK from Hyundai service to try something else. What a bummer as I listen to talk radio more than music. FM is fine but not perfect. Still has some background noise.
  • Options
    newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    The Sonata is an inexpensive car. I have a 2009 and when you hit a manhole cover it is louder than my Nissan Murano but the Murano costs twice as much. I have not experienced any unsafe handling. It seems well controlled in my experience. The car is rated above average in reliability. Before I purchased my Sonata I looked at Honda's, Nissan's, Fords and Mazda. I believe the Sonata was the best value for my $18,000.
  • Options
    investingdadinvestingdad Member Posts: 23
    Ok, I have a 2009 GLS with 5 speed Manual Transmission. I have 1000 miles on it. Yes, there is some thumpa-thumpa over bumpy roads. But I wouldn't exactly call it something that is horrible.

I think a lot of people on here are blowing this out of proportion. The American car driver expects a fully noise insulated ride, something that can usually only be done at the expense of good handling and with a super soft suspension. Let's keep in mind this is a family sedan with a price point of roughly 16.5K with current incentives.

I also own a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata (turbo'd / hard suspension). I would like to suggest that NOBODY on here complaining about road noise or loud suspension has any idea what a truly noisy car sounds like. Come take a ride with me sometime in the Miata and I'll show you what real road noise is all about. Not only is the suspension hard to the point where it becomes exhausting after an hour of driving over PA back roads, but your ears get a workout from:

- jarring ride over even the smoothest roads
    - whining air intake as the turbo builds boost
    - explosive rush of air on shifts when the system vents excess pressure

The Sonata is so quiet that I find myself uncertain what gear I'm in (remember, I bought a 5 speed manual) due to lack of engine noise. The supsension thump is mild, at best, and should be put into perspective.
  • Options
    I have talked to a good number of Sonata owners. I also have taken rides with
    some of them. It seem that some cars ride better than others. I had the owner of a 2009 GLS take a ride with me just two days ago. He said his car, which is the same as mine even the color, makes less noise than mine. He said "you feel every bump in your car even the small ones". I also own a 2001 Toyota mini van. It has 40,000 miles on it. It makes much lees noise over bumps. The 1992 grand prix that the sonata replaced made much less noise than the Sonata. When I went back to the dealer for the first oil change they again told me that many Sonata owners say the same thing. But most owners I talked to said the ride was good. So I will be going back to the dealer after the holidays to try to get them to do something. I also
    found my gas millage to poor. The best I have done is about 17.75 miles per gallon.
    It was only 14.2 miles per gallon in cold weather of late here in New York City. This is all city driving.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    One thing to consider, and check, is tire pressures. It may seem like a little thing, but tire pressure can make a big difference for ride smoothness and tire noise over bumps, especially with lower-profile tires as on the 17" wheels on the uplevel-trim Sonatas. If someone has their tire pressures a few pounds under spec and someone else a few pounds over spec (for better fuel economy or just mis-set), that could be a 10+ lbs. difference in pressure, enough to notice between two cars.
  • Options
    OK I try to ignore posts about "poor" fuel economy especially when I previously answered more than my share patiently explaining to persons, perhaps like you, who do not understand the toll of city driving (most especially NEW YORK CITY) on fuel economy. You drive there, I do not, but that driving experience (in my mind and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) is (A.) go like hell to beat out the taxi next to you..until the next light turns red (B.) repeat and/or don't move at all due to congestion followed by a free for all on the expressways into and out of the city proper until they too clog up due to an accident or something else. Do you think almost 18 mpg is "poor" under such circumstances? Please remember you are getting zero (0) mpg much of the time. With regard to cold weather...all gasoline vehicles perform worse with regard to fuel economy in cold weather due to warm-up periods (idling) you may persue to defog/defrost the glass and encourage heat to warm the interior before driving off, and a general longer time frame for the vehicle to warm to a more efficient operating mode. 17.7 is good and 14.2 is acceptable for the winter in all city driving. City dwellers need a hybrid in order not to complain about fuel economy.
  • Options
    What tire pressure would you think is best?
    I try o keep it at the recommended 32 psi cold.
  • Options
    Smart move. It's not just how much you spend.
    I would gladly have paid more for a better ride.
  • Options
    That's a good idea. I've experimented with a few psi over the recommended settings on my cars, for better fuel economy, but I'm not a fan of going much over the recommended settings as some folks do.
  • Options
    bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    I am seriously looking at the 09 Sonata SE (most likely V6) and have gone through this whole thread. Is the thunking noise there when you first drive the car off the lot, or does it show up after a bit? I initially drove a 4 cyl SE (GLS Sport here in Canada) before I read this thread (it seemed fine BTW). I took a 6 cyl SE out the other day after reading this thread and gave it a good run. The sales guy let me take it out alone so I drove it all around onto the crappiest roads I could find in the area (and they are crappy here in Ottawa in the winter). The thing drove nice and tight and handled everything well - I was darting around trying to hit the bumps.

It seems based on this thread that some cars have the problem and some don't. A lot with the problem also seem to have "vague" handling and unsteady straight line tendencies. So my question is if you take your actual purchased car out for a good test run before accepting it and it is good then are you most likely OK from this issue?
  • Options
    I did drive the car I ended up with. However, the roads in the area of the dealership are very good. I didn't notice anything bad. The salesman drove the car to my home
    and I drove him bad in my old car. I had to drive my old car for a few more weeks until I sold it. When I started driving the Sonata ever day I noticed the noise imeadeitly upon hitting bumps and pot holes. It is probably true that some have the problem and some don't. I have questioned people with the same car. Not one yet has said they found anything wrong with the ride. I have read road tests of Sontas that reported a hard ride over bumps. If I had known the car made this noise I would not have bought it. I wouldn't recommend buying one of these cars. You well be taking a chance that it might develop this problem later. The service people tell me that everyone says the cars make noise. They also said this is normal and there is nothing wrong. Everyone I spoke to said the ride was good. So, I think they just don't want to get into the problem or know about it and can't fix it.
  • Options
    Since so many make this noise I do not think you will have a problem in the long run. If the Sonatas start failing they will have to put out a service bulletin. The company must know the cause and they would be working on the correction if they believe it is a safety issue . The car does have a 100,000 mile warranty. Mine makes a "Thunk" if you hit a pothole but I do not see that as a problem.
  • Options
    Is the sound you hear when you go over a pot hole louder than any car you have ever been in even very used old cars? Mine is. If you go many bumps and pot holes in a row it's very annoying. Maybe your car is not as bad.
  • Options
    I can only say it louder than I would expect. I would not say it makes the car sound cheap or like there is a broken part. It would seem to be easy for Hyundai to trouble shoot with so many Sonata's doing it. Maybe I do not have the noise that others speak of or not as bad.
  • Options
    jcz62jcz62 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2009 4 cyl Sonata and it has the crappy suspension problems you are all writing about and Hyundai is looking the other way and not acknowledging there is a problem. I've followed through to Corporate and they say that's just the way the
    car is supposed to be. The suspension is poorly done.... I've driven other 09 Sonatas and they all are pretty much the same, and air pressure doesn't seem to make a difference. My last car was a '04 VW Passat...... that was a sporty suspension and it didn't do that cheap car bumyness the Sonata does.

In Oct I drove a little 3 cyl Fiat Punta in Italy for a week and that rode way better than the Sonata. I've also had Saabs, and Hondas, and a Porsche 911 over the years, and have to say this is the worst riding car I've ever been in. I wish I could get rid of it somehow.
  • Options
    vinngvinng Member Posts: 12
    I also owned a 2009 Sonata, 4 cyl. I purchased the car in june of 2008, I complained to the dealer about the noise problem and I was told the shocks needed to be replaced. Well it was done, but the noise was still there. I took it back again and again for the same problem to no avail. I was told this is the way the car rides. After speaking to corporate headquarters about the problem I was given the same answer. Not being satisifed with that answer I drove the car back to the dealership, handed the salesman the keys and told him to keep this piece of junk you call a car. I went on to say that I traded a 7 year old Camry for this rattle trap and that I would not ever drive this car again. After telling him that I was going to ask an attorney about the Lemon law (NYS) he saw how upset I was, and he asked me inside to talk. He took me for a ride in a 2009 Hyundai Azera, which was a step up from the Sonata. Idrove it about 10 miles, on smooth roads and bumpy ones, took it on the highway at about 60MPH and it drove like a dream. I have the car since Nov of 2008 and am very happy with it. It cost me about $5000.00 more but at least I have a real good car. As for the Sonata 2009 the worst car I have ever driven. Get rid of it if you can the noise will only get worse. See a lawyer if you must. In my state New York you can seek the lemon law after 3 visits for the same problem. Just go on line there are lawyers on the lemon law site that will go after Hyundai for you at no cost to you. They will get their fee from hyundai.
  • Options
    investingdadinvestingdad Member Posts: 23
    Let us not confuse NOISE with ride QUALITY. There is no ride quality issue here. What is at issue is the amount of noise that is transmitted from the suspension.

And, I'm sorry...are you really going to compare a Sonata with a 911 or Saab? Well heck, let's throw in my turbo Miata and talk about how lousy the Sonata is because it can't do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and can't hold 1.01 on a skid pad like said Miata. I mean, seriously...
  • Options
    I live in N.Y. but i got my Sonata in N.J. They must have a lemon law.
    I will be bringing the car in for the third time soon. I would love to get rid of it.
    I will look for a lawyer. What is that web site you went to?
    thanks
  • Options
    It must be pointed out up front that I do not own a Sonata. I have rented them multiple times however (with no excessive noise complaints on my part) and I am reading these complaints with this thought going through my head "Whatever are these people complaining about?" "Rattle trap?" ..."Piece of junk?"... "Worst car I have ever driven?" these are very harsh terms to be applied to a new car. I simply cannot fathom the cars being this bad and whatever noise is present has to be a personal expectation "noise violation". I drive a 14 year old Dodge Stratus (with 219,000 miles) and a 2006 Honda Civic (with 19,000 miles)and both make noise when the suspension bottoms out in a pothole as do all cars. If I am not totally mistaken the Azera uses the same front suspension type the Sonata uses with different calibrations to make it ride softer so maybe what you want is a softer riding car and associate a softer suspension with a "better ride". I see a fair amount of complaints about this but is the cause the desire for a Buick type ride? I don't know that answer.
  • Options
    After driving many, many 2006-9 Sonatas (rentals, test drives) over the years, I finally found one (2008 GLS I4 with 20k miles) a few weeks ago that had a distinct suspension noise when going over fairly small bumps, e.g. raised expansion joints. I had not heard anything like that before on a Sonata. Now, it was a cold day (5 F), but a short time later I drove another 2008 Sonata (exactly the same trim and equipment except 40k miles) over the same course and it was quiet, just like every other Sonata I've driven (some tire noise notwithstanding). So I think there is some kind of problem with the Sonata suspension that shows up on some number of cars. There are also reports in Town Hall of owners who have had the suspension noise quelled through actions at the dealership.

As was noted by another poster, this is not a ride quality issue but a noise issue.