Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata Front Suspension "Thunk"

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I guess we are seeing different things in these posts then. With the Sonata, it's all about noise (see previous post for example). No complaints on suspension noise on the Genesis--in fact the pros say things like "quietest car we've ever tested." With the Genesis, it's about ride harshess over rough pavement. I don't see complaints here about the the Sonata having a harsh ride. If anything, there are some who feel the ride is too soft/bouncy. Totally different thing than with the Genesis.
  • Options
    ray78ray78 Member Posts: 27
    I owned a 2006 Sonata LX and had NO problems with it for the 52K miles I drove it. I traded for a 2009 Sonata Limited and have had no problems with it so far. It is very quiet and very smooth riding. I couldn't be more satisfied with it!
  • Options
    lenstanglenstang Member Posts: 68
    That's good. It means they can do something about the cars that have a problem.
    The hard part is getting them to do anything at all.
    Good luck with your new car.
  • Options
    dncbdncb Member Posts: 70
    Lenstang. I know I said I was leaving the forum, but I check out the posts once a month or so in case anything interesting shows up. I'd be interested in your Lemon Law attorney's email contact info. Perhaps others would also on this forum. If he does not want his info given out publicly then my spam email address is dncb777@gmail.com You can contact me there. I'm guessing that he cannot directly address issues outside his state of licensure, but he may be interested in the testimonies of others in other states as fuel for his case.

In unrelated news, my 2007 Sonata LTD has developed rather loud body creaking (in the last 4K miles) when twisting slightly to enter paved business driveway entrances or the like. It is getting bad enough that it creaks constantly on gravel roads like my long driveway (no it is not tire noise). I've tried cleaning and siliconing sunroof and trunk weatherstripping to no avail. Also, the RF window clunks (hits something internal) when going down even after going into the dealer for the window almost falling off the track at which time the regulator was replaced. I'm not wanting others to address these issues here. It is the wrong forum for that. Just mentioning them for informational purposes. 27,000 miles now.
  • Options
    Go to lemonlaw.com.
    The last thing they told me was to try to get the dealer to fix something.
    I have been to my dealer 3 time with them saying the same old things.
    The law firm told me to try another dealer.
    I might do that.
  • Options
    comet64comet64 Member Posts: 12
    Regarding your creaking noise... I also have a 2007 Sonata Limited. I experienced a similar creaking noise and found the source to be the inside trim strip running across the top of the back window. It needs to be resecured with double sided tape, glue or whatever works.
  • Options
    rfinneyrfinney Member Posts: 1
    Hi I'm from Canada. I lived in Ontario and I bought an 06 Sonata GLS Sport when it was new in 06. I noticed a few weeks after I bought it that there was a creaking/grinding noise when I was going over a very large speed bump while driving very slowly. I didn't take it to the dealer because it went away after awhile and I attributed it to being a brand new car and it had to get broken in. I was impressed in the beginning because of the nice ride. In fact a friend of mine owns an 04 Jag and my Sonata had a better ride than his car. Now, it rides like a tank. I moved to another province in Canada, Nova Scotia, and since, I've put over 100,000 kms on it, that's less than 65,000 miles. I brought it in to the dealer and they found that the rear bumper was loose and they fixed that. I also noticed there was some noise that I couldn't put my finger on and they found the rear brake shoes were loose. That was also fixed under warranty. I since noticed that there was a persisting noise and after the warranty was over, they found that the lower, right front strut was worn and needed replacement at a $260 price tag not under warranty taxes in. I had to pay them $60 just to find that out. The reason they gave me not to cover it under warranty was because I had been complaining about a noise in the rear and this is in the front. I am not impressed by this and I think that for the $$ I paid for this car, that I should be treated better. I bought brand new tires for the car and the ride is better but when I go over rough roads it rides poorly. I am going back to the dealer with this complaint and I hope to use this information on this forum to add fuel to my fire. I would be very interested in knowing about the lemon law I've read about in this forum and also if there are similar laws in Canada.
    Can anyone help me out with this?
    Thanks from Rick Nova Scotia Canada
  • Options
    newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    It is not a lemon. You spent less than $500 is 65000 miles.
  • Options
    The lemon law is for new cars that have problems. If your car had no problems for 65,000 miles your car is no lemon.
  • Options
    xj220xj220 Member Posts: 78
    I wish all my previous cars I owned cost me only $260 at 65,000 miles. My last car before my Sonata (Mitsubishi Eclipse) was a nightmare. Paid about $1000 every year on repairs alone once the warranty was up. My coworker bought a new Mustang about 20 months ago and it just had premature brake issues. He had to pay $400 for them to look at it and replace one rotor and machine another. He's still trying to get Ford to reimburse him for that but they wouldn't budge.

You should consider yourself lucky.
  • Options
    mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    Why does anyone doubt there is a real and systemic problem with the suspension of the Sonata?

If you review Consumer Reports, either the specific issue that reviewed family sedans, or the Annual Car Buying Guide, they specifically remark that the suspension of the Sonata, the 2006-2008 year models, AND the 2009 model, makes pronounced noise that 'makes the ride seem worse than it is.'

There are multiple reviews in newspapers and journals, such as Canadian Driver, that state the same thing about the Sonata.

Does anyone dispute these comments in Consumer Reports or other publications?

If you have a Sonata that doesn't have any clunks, thunking or cheap sounding noises, you should consider yourself fortunate and hope things stay that way.
  • Options
    My car has the problem. Has anyone come up with any solution at all?
    I haven't.
  • Options
    Consumer Reports Is not the almighty last resource that a lot of people think it is! I recently traded a 2006 Sonata V-6 with 53000 miles on the odometer an I NEVER heard the clunk some are complaining about. I am currently driving a 2009 Sonata Limited and have Never heard the clunk that all Sonatas are supposed to have. I think some are looking for something they have read about.
  • Options
    Consumer Reports Is not the almighty last resource that a lot of people think it is! I recently traded a 2006 Sonata V-6 with 53000 miles on the odometer an I NEVER heard the clunk some are complaining about. I am currently driving a 2009 Sonata Limited and have Never heard the clunk that all Sonatas are supposed to have. I think some are looking for something they have read about.

It's not just Consumer Reports.

If there’s a fault, it’s in the undercarriage; while the ride reaches a nice balance between comfort and agility, the suspension rattles over rough pavement, and there’s wheel hop over bumps. If your roads are glass-smooth you’ll probably never know it, but in my rural area they’re frost-heaved, and the rattles and bumps made themselves known most of the time. I’ve noticed this on a few Hyundai models, and it gives them a cheap undertone that could use some improvement.

Canadian Driver Full Test

Highs: Powertrain refinement, controls, value.
    Lows: Agility, suspension noise.

The ride is comfortable, but can become buoyant on highway undulations. Handling is secure but not agile, with noticeable body lean and little steering feedback. Suspension noise intrudes.

Consumer Reports Quick Review

There are a lot more articles mentioning noise being objectionable in the Sonata. I didn't write these reviews; publications like Consumer Reports did.

Maybe they are lying as you imply.
  • Options
    kenlight1kenlight1 Member Posts: 22
    "If there's a fault" sound like they couldn't fine anything really wrong but after searching high and low they found this minor irritant.

I would think the lemon law would be for what my girlfriend went through 20 years ago (before there was a lemon law). Whenever she turned the key during winter the carborator would flood and the car wouldn't start. It was towed to the dealer 3 or 4 times. They would keep it for a few days and then claim there was no problem, She finally traded the car in for a different brand ( and dealer). I later found out a co-worker bought the same model, had the problem, and his dealer corrected it as per the service notice from the manufacturer. This is why today she will not (and neither will I) consider "the german's people car".
  • Options
    I didnot say they were lieing, I said I have owned two Sonatas and have not had this experience with either of them. We also have rough roads here. Several of our asphalt streets have large potholes in them. Also Consumer Reports have had to issue appologies for some results they have posted-remember the child safety seat report they put out?
  • Options
    I didnot say they were lieing, I said I have owned two Sonatas and have not had this experience with either of them. We also have rough roads here. Several of our asphalt streets have large potholes in them. Also Consumer Reports have had to issue appologies for some results they have posted-remember the child safety seat report they put out?

I completely agree that Consumer Reports makes mistakes and there have numerous examples of their getting something wrong, but generally speaking, I still think they're relatively unbiased and present much accurate information.

I also don't think they stated that every Sonata has the suspension noise, and there's no reason not to believe you when you say you've had no such issues with your two Sonatas.

I think there have been enough professional reviews, including CR, coupled with complaints from Sonata owners on forums such as InsideLine or the Hyundai forums to conclude there is probably a genuine suspension issue that affects some % of Sonatas, though.

What that % is, I doubt anyone really knows. Hyundai would probably have the best data because it would appear that a lot of people have complained about this problem to their dealerships, and many dealerships have replaced quite a few parts, such as shocks, struts, strut towers and other parts, in an attempt to provide good service to the customer.

Cheers.
  • Options
    I think one consideration here is whether CR and other professional reviewers are noticing some kind of suspension noise that is normal for the car, vs. a more pronounced noise that shows up only on some Sonatas and is due to some kind of problem. From driving at least 20 2006-9 Sonatas over the years and noticing a significant suspension "clunking" noise on only one of them, a 2008 GLS with about 25k miles on it, I tend to think there's two things at work here:

* A "normal" amount of noise on the Sonata's suspension that some people are sensitive to and others are not, or at least do not find it a big issue. By normal I mean it is not due to a defect in design or manufacture; it is a characteristic of the car.
    * A more pronounced noise that is very noticeable by everyone who experiences it, but shows up on only some Sonatas.

I think that would explain the different kinds of experiences that we are seeing posted here and elsewhere.
  • Options
    I think one consideration here is whether CR and other professional reviewers are noticing some kind of suspension noise that is normal for the car, vs. a more pronounced noise that shows up only on some Sonatas and is due to some kind of problem. From driving at least 20 2006-9 Sonatas over the years and noticing a significant suspension "clunking" noise on only one of them, a 2008 GLS with about 25k miles on it, I tend to think there's two things at work here:

* A "normal" amount of noise on the Sonata's suspension that some people are sensitive to and others are not, or at least do not find it a big issue. By normal I mean it is not due to a defect in design or manufacture; it is a characteristic of the car.
    * A more pronounced noise that is very noticeable by everyone who experiences it, but shows up on only some Sonatas.

I think that would explain the different kinds of experiences that we are seeing posted here and elsewhere.

Backy, if you read the annual auto edition of CR, they comment on suspension noise in the Sonata, Veracruz and the Santa Fe (but not the Entourage, Azera or Tuscon.

I also think some people are under the impression from their ownership experience that the suspension is tight at first, but for whatever reason, develops these types of problems as the miles accumulate.

If you go to Hyundai forums, which is obviously frequented by Hyundai owners, there are many, many complaints and stories of dealerships essentially replacing major suspension components trying to resolve these noises.
  • Options
    I have read CR's review of the Sonata, Sante Fe, and Veracruz. But note that the Santa Fe was CR's top pick for small SUVs last year (RAV4 edged it out this year), and CR says nothing about suspension noise in its summary on the Santa Fe in the 2009 Annual Auto issue (while it does say of the Sonata, "Suspension noise intrudes.") I think that's interesting given the Santa Fe and Sonata share a platform--but probably have some differences in suspension bits. CR does say of the Veracruz, "... suspension noise is evident."

Note that CR tests cars when they are brand-new. It does put some miles on them, but how many over what period of time?

I am not disputing the reports on suspension noise. I was making an attempt to explain why there seems to be multiple schools of thought on this.
  • Options
    Backy, it may have been the Tuscon and not the Santa Fe.

I've beaten this horse to death, so I'll end my comments by just saying that I think many people really do have an issue regarding suspension noises and reaction, so they shouldn't be accused of fabricating these claims, because even mainstream publications have remarked on this as well.

I really like the direction Hyundai is headed in, and hope they sort out the remaining issues, because it benefits consumers to have another high-quality, reasonably priced automaker producing vehicles.

I believe Hyundai has already put price pressure on Toyota and Honda.

I'm rooting for any company that raises the bar on competitiveness. And I also think Hyundai is nailing the interior of their new cars.

The Sonata and the Malibu have the two best looking interiors of reasonably priced family sedans, IMO.
  • Options
    For those who think CR is the final word on product reliability- you might check at http://www.allpar.com/cr.html and click on Statistical Problems of CR. It could give you an insight on their Magazine.
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I agree with you. I bought my 06 Sonata LX back in Feb 06 with 6 miles on odo. now has 59k miles and the only noises that I have heard came from the front brake pads when at 55k miles. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones I don't know, but if your vehicle is still under the factory warranty than the dealer has no choice but to address and fix the problem. I'm blessed to real good friends with a Hyundai Technician that can fix any issue that I may have once my 60k warranty is over and can handle any powertrain concerns that are still under warranty. My best advise is to get to know the techs at the dealership, can save you alot of money and pain when you can have just that one tech work on your car.
  • Options
    supermsuperm Member Posts: 16
    It's definitely a you notice it or not thing.

But 4 of 5 Sonata rentals I've driven, including '08 and 09 models, 4 and 6 cylinders, have had the clunk. I'd pin the issue not necessarily on design- no sane engineer (and most of is crazy ones) don't design to create noise, but rather the allowed specs for parts.

Problem is I haven't seen an alternate strut mount in the aftermarket. I'd consider one of these for the tremendous value proposition they are, and be resigned to replace the strut mounts in time. But in my search there aren't other options!
  • Options
    gslav1gslav1 Member Posts: 23
    I had my car in for service today at my Hyundai dealership and was told that my earlier complaint about the suspension problems was a concern complained about by other owners and that Hyundai admitted that there was a problem. I have an appointment for next week hopefully this will solve the problem!

PS I own a 2009 Hyundai sonata 4 Cyl GLS
  • Options
    Please let us know what happens. Is that all they said was there is a problem?
    Did they say they could fix It?
    Thanks for the post.
  • Options
    james1982james1982 Member Posts: 73
    I had my car in for service today at my Hyundai dealership and was told that my earlier complaint about the suspension problems was a concern complained about by other owners and that Hyundai admitted that there was a problem. I have an appointment for next week hopefully this will solve the problem!

PS I own a 2009 Hyundai sonata 4 Cyl GLS

Are they going to fix the problem free of charge?
  • Options
    fragilemnfragilemn Member Posts: 16
    I'm interested to see what comes of your appointment. Wondering if Hyundai has some sort of fix for this? My 2009 GLS 4 cyl has the suspension noises too. Wonder if they have different parts to install or if they just some sort of work under there.
  • Options
    dave09sedave09se Member Posts: 20
    Im new here but not new to car forums I have an 09 SE with the four banger and I love the car but it too has suspension noises. I am also interested in what comes from your appointment.
  • Options
    On my last visit to the service people at Hyundai the manager told me that my car made more noise because it has 40 pounds less insulation than the limited model.
    I'm not buying that. Right now my gauges are not working 25% of the time. They are going to be changed. I'll wait to see what happens here before I try again to get the suspension fixed.
  • Options
    james1982james1982 Member Posts: 73
    On my last visit to the service people at Hyundai the manager told me that my car made more noise because it has 40 pounds less insulation than the limited model

Haha, wow. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard a dealer say in a while. Do you have another local Hyundai dealership where you can get your car serviced? If they are feeding you lines of crap like that now, just imagine what kinds of stuff they will tell you that you need when your car gets older. You don't want them racking up large bills for needless stuff.

Remember, always beware of dealerships telling you that you need to replace your "turn signal fluid", or that your "flux capacitor" needs a new belt.

I hope it everything works out for you, and you get your gauges fixed!
  • Options
    hello, I just received a call from the dealership they told me that Hyundai has updated front struts and they do admit there is a problem and they are paying for the replacement.They have to order them so I won't know anything until friday.

I hope this will help you.
  • Options
    What's the dealership name?
    I want to try to get my dealer to do the same for me.
    thanks.
  • Options
    kaypeakaypea Member Posts: 10
    I'm new here and I have a 2009 GLS(1900 miles on it) and have the same problems with the noises.I have an appointment on OCT 23 to get it checked out. I spent some time on a Hyundai forum and there are many of the same complaints.Interesting that Hyundai is admitting to the front struts.According to some there was a TSB issued for 2006s and 07s for rear strut replacement that fixed the problem and people have been hoping for one for the 2008s and 09s.There's also someone who had aftermarket shocks put on(rear) and who was happy with the results.
  • Options
    I had been complaining about mine since I got it.
    I now have 6700 miles and still hate driving it.
    Please post what happens. I was at my dealer on 10-12-2009.
    The service manager said there was no news about this problem.
  • Options
    I can only tell you that I've spent a fair amount of time on the Hyundai forum reading and talking to other people about their experiences with all this and its seems problematic trying to come up with anything that seems definitive-at least for 2009s. Gslav's comment is the first that I've seen where Hyundai has admitted that there's a problem with 2009s and I was under the impression that,as far as Hyundai is concerned at least, that it would be a rear strut problem,not front. I hope that he will let everyone know the name and location of the dealer that he went to.I'd like to be able to know something definite when I take mine in on the 23rd.
  • Options
    I am very happy in general with my car an 09 SE with the I4 but I do have to agree the suspension is a little more noisy than I would like but I dont think its as loud as some others have experienced, I plan to follow this forum and see what happens with the others and Im going to mention it to my dealer as well. I have to say Hyundai has came along way since 1986 when my buddy bought a piece of junk excel now that thing was junk!
  • Options
    vinngvinng Member Posts: 12
    I got rid of the 09 sonata limited 3 months after I purchased it. Suspension noise, clunk, dunk, clang you name it. It was by far the worst car I have ever driven. The dealer replaced the front shocks to no avail. The car had front and rear suspension noise and I was told by the dealership that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. This noise in my opinion will only get worse and can become dangerous if the problem with shocks is not resolved. My advise to all 09 sonatas owners: Get rid of it.
  • Options
    Hello the dealerships name is Fitzgerald Auto Mall in WhiteFlint MD.

Service Phone No:301-881-4000

FitzMall.com
  • Options
    Thanks for posting dealer's name.Let us know how you make out.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    OK so you got rid of your Sonata soon after purchase for various personal reasons. Great if that is what you want (and can afford)... but why are you still here dispensing your solution to any owner who can read? It probably ISN"T dangerous and it looks as though Hyundai may be distributing a fix so you lose (money if nothing else) in selling your car so quickly.
  • Options
    I spoke to someone at Hyundai consumer affairs. They said there is no fix for the suspension problem I told them I was having with noise. The guy I spoke to said he would be getting back to me about it.
  • Options
    So one dealer says they are aware of the problem and are going to fix it but Hyundai consumer affairs there is no fix for the problem, so what gives? :confuse:
  • Options
    Any word yet on what happened?
  • Options
    Hi, I have had the struts replaced I've driven the car a little bit and I noticed a big difference in ride quality and steering response. I think you should talk to your dealerships and try to get this replacement.
  • Options
    Did they replace both front and rear struts? Are these struts different than the original in any way? Hyundai consumer affairs called me back and said there wasn't any fix for my problem with this noise. However, they did say that the service manager would like to try to resolve the problem with me when I bring my car in for the gauge cluster they are going to replace.
  • Options
    That's good news.I had the same questions as Lenstang Do you happen to have a parts number for the struts?

Also-when you said that Hyundai admitted there was a problem-who did you mean by Hyundai?
  • Options
    8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    Hi, good people I really like the way this forum works. Help each other w/ info.
    I have a new 2009 SE V6 and from what I hear 2009 Sonatas had a big midseason
    change. Over 1000 parts changed from 2008 mostly inside, drivetrain, and big suspension modification on SE. Reviews I've been reading have mentioned about
    the unusual coming from underneath. Was this prevalent on Sonata prior to 2009
    change? and do any of the other models in the Hyundai line up do this? This is the
    first Hyundai we have owned, matter of fact the one we have is the only one I ever
    got in. So it was quite an experience, had to go on a 2nd test run a little further and
    just a little faster, why not I didn't pay for gas. Even went on third ride w/ the boss
    my wife driving. Almost broke my neck w/ take off she was used to her slow take
    off with her Mazda626. What I,m really getting at is SE has a much different suspension than the GLS and the Limited, I have not ever sat in one of those so I
    can't compare the ride or handling or anything but ext. looks. On our SE the only
    thing I hear unusual is the 17" low profile Kumho high performance tires hitting the
    pavement. But I knew that when I saw them on the car. (been there done that). I will
    swap tires pretty soon it should quite some of that. If the problem would be from the
    difference in suspension, could any of the any of the new SE parts help the others?
    or would they fit? Good luck w/ noise problem, Hyundai seems to really care if their customers are satisfied!!
  • Options
    The forum works great but due to nobody's fault but Hyundai it can seem difficult to find answers to this problem which seems ongoing since 2006-GLS,SE-it seems random And lots of people never have this problem but lots do also.And I think you're trying to paint too rosy of a picture about Hyundai. I'm taking my 2009 in for the first time this Friday.I spoke to another dealer today who was nice enough to share some info even though I'm not actually taking my car to that dealer.He told me that with this suspension problem its taken on a case by case basis.First they have to agree that there's a problem-which is no sure thing at all.And if they do agree that its a problem they'll try to find a fix in lieu of replacing the struts.If they think there's no other way but to replace the struts,they'll often times have to hassle with someone at Hyundai sending replacement struts-not always a pleasant experience as the tech explained to me. I'm just going to make sure that I drive over lots of potholes when i take mine in and go for a drive.
  • Options
    hello, yes they replaced both front struts and yes they are re engineered struts and they do make a big difference in the ride quality and steering response .