Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sonata and Optima don't offer a 6MT, although one is rumored for the 2010 Sonata.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Different people buy (or have bought) manuals for different reasons.

I used to do so for the extra gear, better mpg, and in order to get adequate acceleration from a 4 cyl. It no longer became necessary do have a manual to get those things, so I went to the automatic.

My son is shopping for a new car and his main reason for wanting a manual is he does not like the "slush" factor. He does,however, very much like the idea of a DSG (though he has not actually driven one). But when I ask him if they offerered a DSG in a car in his price range, would he pay an extra $1000 to get it, he is not sure. So in his case, the cost is a factor.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Hi,
    What is DSG?
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Direct-Shift Gearbox
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's basically a computer controlled manual transmission that offers automatic or manual control. The advantage is there is no traditional torque converter on most versions and the shifts are lightning quick - faster than a human can make. The downside is the automatic mode isn't as perfect as a regular auto tranny. These units typically weigh a lot less than regular automatics as well.
    I checked out the mid-sized sedans at the Twin Cities Auto Show today (along with everything else of course). Of those I hadn't yet seen in person, I thought the 2009 Optima was the most impressive, especially considering the value quotient. The new front and rear styling looks better up close than it did in photos, standard ABS/ESC and the improved I4 (from the Sonata) are welcome changes, and the car retains its high-quality interior (slick manual HVAC controls, high-quality plastics and fabric, good amount of padded surfaces etc.).

I was not impressed with the new Fulan. They had a Milan hybrid and two Fusion hybrids, plus a Sport. None was available to sit in--either on turntables or locked. But they were sitting right next to the 2009 cars, and I have to say that I don't see a significant improvement in either the exterior or interior for 2010. I actually liked the interior of the 2009 Fusion better than that of the 2010. The dash on the 2009 looks sleeker and less cluttered to me than the 2010's. The controls and gauges weren't lit, however, so that might make a difference in overall appearance. I also reinforced my opinion that I prefer the looks of the Milan to those of the Fusion. Just too much chrome up front on the Fusion for my taste. I noticed though that the rear of the Milan looks unchanged, except maybe different colors on the lamp bezels. I prefer the rear of the old Fusion to the new one. The new one looks cheap to me for some reason.

The other mid-sizer I liked, although not a sedan, is the 2010 Prius. It was on a turntable, but the doors were open. It looks to me like it's moving just standing still. The interior looks a lot nicer and there was a seat height adjuster button (yay!) on the driver's seat.

That's about it as far as mid-sizers. I liked the Mazda6 also, but I had previously seen it The Malibu LTZ they had on the floor had an especially nice interior color scheme--a brownish two tone--that looked sharper than any Malibu I have seen yet. The best thing about it was the surround for the center stack buttons was fairly dark, which eliminated the cheap look when the black buttons are against a light background. That contrasted with a $31,000 Camry SE I saw, for which the dash was incredibly boring and cheap looking. But the Sonata Limited I saw had what I thought was the sharpest-looking dash in the mid-sized class--definitely the best part of its mid-gen refresh.

P.S. I saw more interesting vehicles outside the mid-sized sedan class than in it. My favorites were probably the 2010 Taurus (love the "My Key" feature that lets parents program a top speed for their teenagers; also it has heated/cooled/massaging seats). Also two new SUVs: the 2010 Equinox (very sharp inside and out, plus 30 mpg highway w/o hybridization), and the new XC60. It was fun to see the new Camaro (looks a lot like the Challenger) and new Mustang. I saw some great high-end cars too, but for that money they should be great. :)

P.P.S. Seemed like most domestic companies cut back on the show this year. Not many turntables or fancy displays, just... cars. Ford had far and away the best effort of the D3. The biggest surprise was Hyundai, which had a large floorspace that was packed for the first time I have seen. Usually you could bowl in there and not hit anyone. Ford was pretty crowded too--GM and Chrysler much less so.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I would love a manual but living around a big city, traffic is tied up more often than not and I just do not have the patients to shift 100 times on my way to work, just not worth it.

I am looking at possibly getting a 2010 Camaro for a second summer car if I can swing it in a year or two. If i do, it will be a manual with a V6.
    I think Hyundia is taking off because price and better cars. Looking through the paper they are the cheapest cars advertised and they often come with 0% financing to boot. In a crappy economy, that sells.

My big beef with them is they add nothing to the local economy, almost all their vehicles are imported and made overseas. At least Fusion, Camry, Malibu, Accord, 6 and Altima are produced in the U.S.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    At least Fusion, Camry, Malibu, Accord, 6 and Altima are produced in the U.S.
    Sorry vanman1 but the Fusion and Milan are manufactured in Mexico.
    Boz
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    And the sonata/santa fe are made in alabama, ahem. They're also adding a us plant for kia cars as well. I don't see them being that different from most other car companies including so-called us car makers.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Sorry vanman1 but the Fusion and Milan are manufactured in Mexico.

. . . and the Hyundai Sonata is made in Alabama.
    Backy, I had almost the same reaction today--at the Atlanta auto show. Hyundai, Ford, and Toyota were the busiest booths. At the Chevy booth most of the action was little kids wanting to sit in a Corvette (and dads thinking this might be their only chance).

I was very impressed with the interior quality (about all you can really judge at an auto show) on the part of Hyundai and Ford. I too prefer a simple, clear layout, so these were among the very best I saw. Points also to VW and GM for good layout, though the GM cars ranged from very nicely put together (all the Buicks, plus the Malibu and Impala) to pretty darn grim (the G6 and G8, plus surprisingly the three Auras on display). An interior trim piece came off in my hand on a Saab 9-3.

It seems it's pretty difficult to screw up the basics right now--most cars seem to have good driving positions, reasonable assembly quality and so on. But because there are so many good choices, the market is unlikely to forgive even a small miscue right now.

My ratings for the rest of the midsize sedan class, based on nothing more than an auto-show impression:

Malibu--very very nice, but they didn't have anything lower than a 2LT with leather on display--I'd like to see a base cloth-seat model for comparison
    Impala--a pleasant surprise
    Aura--attractive but not as well put together as the Malibu
    Altima--not bad, but not great either
    Camry--not a standout
    Accord--OK on its own, but unexpectedly below much of its competition in interior quality
    VW CC--extra deluxe accommodations, but meant for shorter folks than me
    Sebring--poor layout, bad driving position, could hardly see out of it--in short, everything that's wrong with the 300, but in a smaller, cheaper package

ETA: I too found more interest in other market segments. The standouts for me were the Genesis (sedan and coupe), the BMW 1-series, the Volvo C30, and the VW GTI and Jetta. I'll second your praise of the '10 Taurus as well. On the smaller end of the spectrum, I found the $9990 Versa 1.6 stunningly comfy and spacious. Also, I was hoping Ford would have a Fiesta on display, at least on a turntable, but sadly no dice.
  • dbostondriverdbostondriver Member Posts: 559
    I would stay away from the Malibu. If your sticking with a four cylinder you have to pay a pretty hefty premium to get the six speed auto transmission. The standard four speed auto transmission is archaic and really hurts gas mileage.
    My friend has a V6. OK car but the interior was really poorly put together.
    Toyota is running some crazy incentives right now. You can get a well equipped LE auto for under $20k.
    You really can't judge reliability on a model that has only been out for a few months. With the Accord, at least you can look at previous models and make an estimation. I guess you can do that with the Malibu as well, but the old junker Malibu and Impala are possibly the Malibu's closest relatives, and they are notoriously bad cars.
    Also if you look at the reliability history of the Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura, they are terrible. All three cars ride on the same platform. It is assembled in Kansas City, alongside the Saturn Aura, and also at Lake Orion, Michigan, alongside the Pontiac G6. :lemon:
    Which reliability history are you referring to? If it's CR's, they show the G6 (V6) is below average. But the Aura (also V6) is average--not great, but not "terrible." And the Malibu's record is average going back to 2005, which includes the last few years of the previous generation. The Malibu was the latest car to use the long-wheelbase version of the Epsilon platform, and that platform was revised for the Malibu. It's possible those improvements have helped the Malibu garner a good reliability record to date.
    Toyota is running some crazy incentives right now. You can get a well equipped LE auto for under $20k.

That pales in comparison to incentives offered by others in the mid-sized class right now. For example, I can get $4750 off any 2009 Sonata right now--before the negotiating starts. So we are talking a well-equipped GLS (equivalent of the Camry LE trim) for under $15k, or a loaded Limited I4 (non-nav) for under $20k. Or how about a well-equipped Fusion, Milan, or Malbu for $16k?

Camry still carries a pretty high price premium for what you get. If the plan is to sell the car in 2-3 years, it might be worth it because historically they have held their value pretty well, but it's questionable you would ever make up the initial price difference compared to other cars. Better to buy the Camry because you like it better than other cars, vs. its reliability record (it's no longer the champ there) or resale record.
    So the longer wheel base makes the Malibu more reliable? With an investment as big as a new car, I would steer clear of anything that might closely be as unreliable as the Aura or G6 or CTS for that matter. You also didn't touch upon the premium for the 6sp Auto in the Malibu.
    And yes you can get the last generation Fusion on the cheap, which I think is a great car. The thing is that in three years that design will be 8 years old.
    The Hyundai is a great deal if that is your taste. I personally like the Honda Accord but I don't think the incentives are as steep there.
    No, you misunderstood my post. The stretch-Epsilon part wasn't the "change" part; the Malibu uses a revision of the stretch-Epsilon platform that the Aura and G6 use. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aura's platform was different than the G6's, too, since the G6 was first out, followed by Aura, then Mallibu.

As far as a "premium" for the 6-speed auto in the Malibu... you didn't read my post re the huge discounts on the Malibu, did you? What kind of "premium" are you talking about compared to, say, a comparably-equipped Camry? Does the 6AT Mallibu cost more in real-world bucks than the Camry? I don't think so. It's actually the Camry that has the price premium relative to the Malibu.

FWIW, the 2009 Fusion is a design that debuted in late 2005, just a few months before the 2007 Camry debuted--so in three years the 2009 Fusion's design will be 6-1/2 years old, and the Camry's will be six years old. Big deal. I'd take that "old" Fusion any day over the Camry.
    True, but the Camry is still being produced and the previous Fusion is being put out to pasture. Also you would be hard pressed to find a Malibu for less than $20k even with the incentives.
    What are the prices on the G6 and Aura? Maybe you can get a steel as they are just shorter versions of the Malibu.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Why would you take an "old" Fusion over a Camry.I have heard nothing good about it until it was the "new" Fusion. :confuse:

Why would you take an "old" Fusion over a Camry.I have heard nothing good about it until it was the "new" Fusion

Then you've ignored most of what the auto press has said about it over the years, and a lot of what's been said in these forums. Virtually the only consistent complaint has been that the engines are a step behind the best of the competition. Fusion has gotten rave reviews for its ride/handling balance, its reliability and quality control.
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    I have to agree. For a car that is supposed to be on the lots now, Ford should have their 2010 Fusions open to play with at the car show. I also was left underwhelmed from the car show, but finally got to sit in one yesterday. Other than the rubber lining in the dash top storage compartment the interior is vastly more comfortable than an 09. Having sat in one after the other, that materials used are a lot more comfortable on the elbows and to the touch. I couldn't drive it though because it had already been sold.
    The premium is there but if you get an Aura, 6-speed is standard. 6-speed is standard on the LT and LTZ Malibu.

As for quality of the interior, the Malibu is excellent.
    There are some amazing deals on 2009 Fusions, I-4s starting at $16,500 and V6's around $20K (loaded and with the same 6-speed as in the Malibu)). If I was buying today I would prob buy one of these!
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I went to the Mpls. Auto Show yesterday and was also disappointed the 2010 Fusion interiors were not accessible. I was lucky enough to sit in one, but couldn't drive it, when I was shopping. I checked out all the midsize competition and found the 2010 Fusion's interior (from my experience stated above) far superior to all others. The only other car that really impressed me was the Mazda 6. The Accord and Camry interiors seem like a collection of mismatched materials and design. The Fusion's interior is more consistent and aesthetically pleasing. Subtle materials and components blended together. Although not in this class, the new Camaro was a complete disappointment. Horrible interior design. If this is the car that's supposed to save Chevrolet, I hope they have a plan B.
    The reason I put "old" in quotes is because there was an assertion from someone else that the Fusion's design is "old." I was pointing out that this "old" Fusion design is only 6 months older than the current Camry design. Also, the "new" Fusion is a tweak to the 2006-2009 design, not a redesign. It's easier to see that when looking at the 2010 Fulan close up. If you approach from the side, or the Milan from the rear, it's really hard to tell it's a 2010 vs. a 2006-9.

If you didn't hear anything good about the 2006-9 Fulan, you haven't been paying attention to the mid-sized sedan market over the past 3 years.
    The "new" Fusion is a tweak to the 2006-9 car, not a redesign. So if you think the previous Fusion is being "put out to pasture", then you'd have to think the same thing about the Camry, since the 2010 model has some tweaks to it.

Hard pressed to find a Malibu for under $20k?? Hardly! Just yesterday I saw several ads in my local paper for Malibus (not just base) well under $20k. And those were advertised prices--might still be some negotiating room there.
    I have seen 2009 Fusions (new) as low as $13k recently (probably an S with stick), and around $14k with automatic. There was even an ad yesterday for automatic + moonroof for around $15k. These were with a special $500 Auto Show discount.
    I live in the Boston and we usually don't get the best promotions or desperation deals. Also I was referring to the 6sp AUTO Malibu's. I checked the local inventories, they are just hard to find. Chevy makes more money off the the 4sp.
    To me, driving in a new looking model is important. A car costs a lot of money, I want to ride in something that looks new and stylish. :sick:
    Yeah, my two local dealers only have the 4sp Auto. And the Cobalt/Corvette/Malibu steering wheel. :)
    The "new" Fusion is a tweak to the 2006-9 car, not a redesign.

I disagree.
    All new:
    2.5L engine, 15 more HP
    6 speed transmission
    Electronic power steering
    Better MPG 23/34
    ESC standard, all speed traction control
    BLIS, CTA
    Power dome hood
    New Grill design
    Redesigned fenders
    Redesigned quad beam head lamps
    Redesigned air dam and fog lamp design
    New tail lamps
    New deck lid and 3rd stop lamp
    New instrument panel with ice blue lighting
    New center stack
    Available 12 speaker stereo
    Redesigned seats
    Cabin air filter
    Flex fuel 3.0L
    Aggressive deceleration fuel shut off for 3.0L
    Acoustic head liner, upgraded carpet, thicker side glass, acoustic laminated windshield, constrained layer damping on the floor pan, A and B pillar insulation, improved door seals and more sound absorption to quiet the powertrain.
    That's the SEL, there's additional upgrades for the Sport model.
    Actually, tim156, I'd say the things you list, taken together, constitute precisely what backy described--a tweak. Most of the items you've listed are either cosmetic only (new grill, hood, fenders, instrument panel), or minor modifications to existing equipment. The engine isn't all-new, it's a modification of the previous one. The ESC that's standard on the 2010 model is identical to the ESC that's optional on the '09. A new stereo and different instrument lighting? Come on, if that's a full redesign then I've done at least six of them by myself in the driveway over the last 25 years, using nothing more complicated than a set of instructions from Crutchfield.

Or to put it another way, the '06-09 Fusion didn't need much fixing--so Ford didn't do much fixing.
    Splitting hairs. Lets say half a redesign. :)
    Also I was referring to the 6sp AUTO Malibu's.

So was I. For example, just saw this in today's paper: Malibu 1LT with 6AT, $23k MSRP, advertised price after rebates and discounts $17,495. Too bad you live in an area that doesn't offer good deals on cars. I would think a large metro area like Boston would be more competitive, especially in today's market for new cars.

Realize though that today's "new and stylish" model can be "old stuff" real fast. If you want the latest style that won't change for the longest possible time, the best choice is the most recently redesigned (mid-sized) car: Mazda6.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Why would you take an "old" Fusion over a Camry.I have heard nothing good about it until it was the "new" Fusion.

I sure would. A butt-load more entertaining to drive as well as feeling more secure, studies show them to be more reliable, and a lot less costly. Plus Sync is hard to beat! The only real "problem" so to speak was with the powertrains, but even those were reliable, if about 10% low on power and economy.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    i didn't believe you about the malibu 4cyl/6 speed availability, so i did a search in ct.
    i found a few 2lt's, but 90+% are 4 speeds.
    my guess is the bottom dropped out of the car market, before many were made, or those are the ones that sold over the last 6 months.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    GM is cutting down on production and the four speed is a lot cheaper/easier for them to make. Originally the 6spd was only available on the V-6.
    GM did something similar with the trucks. The old model 4spd was the only option until two years into the product cycle. They really didn't start to wise up until the gas crisis. GM is cheap :mad: . Even my Civic as a 5spd auto.
    I like the Mazda 6 too. Best looking for sure and some nifty safety features. I'm not a big fan of the Camry, too generic. Also they use the Hybrids as cabs up here.
    Boston doesn't usually have too many car blowouts inside the city. We also only have one Pontiac dealership. Honda, BMW, and VW dealers are everywhere. I personally don't like the new Jetta. My ex had one. The interior was too cramped, too many knobs and buttons, not a lot of utility, and kind of ugly.
    Most dealerships in the Twin Cities area are in the suburbs. But I have a good choice of dealers for almost every make within 25 miles of me, plus surrounding cities like Rochester and Eau Claire. I would even go to Chicago (about 7 hours) if I could get an exceptional deal there.

The Jetta is a compact, vs. mid-size, so I'm not surprised you'd find it cramped compared to most cars in this class.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    We're lucky that we live right off a main boulevard with a string of like 10 or so new car dealers in a row. We bought the Mazda and Hyundai at these close dealers and the Nissan and Honda on the other side of town. Makes warranty work and servicing very convenient for us and when the wife is ready for her next ride, have mostly all brands to choose from.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I'll buy that. How about New for 2010? :)
    well, your civic probably needs a 5 speed auto.
    my mother has an 03 malibu and i got 33 round trip to boston and back the 2 times i took it.
    it took 75 mph for it not to downshift on the hills on the pike.
    i have an '07 fusion and i think it is the best looking of the mid size sedans.
    someone ran into the back of my car last week. the insurance adjuster for the other insurance company said that's a great looking car, when he came by to assess the damage. i had washed it the day before.
    before i bought the fusion i drove a focus, and you definitely get a little more respect with an average size car.
    The Fusion is a great looking car. I wouldn't mind having one. The Civic gets great gas mileage, definitely runs better with a five speed. Last model had 4sp.
    my fusion is awd and although it has a gas mileage penalty, it works pretty well.
    my kids are old enough to drive so i wanted a car that i could fit in riding in the back seat.
    not sure if you into ice hockey, but i am a big bruins fan, and am really looking forward to the frozen four ncaa's, although pulling for miami.
    i found a few 2lt's, but 90+% are 4 speeds.

That's really interesting, because the 6AT is standard on the 2LT (and LTZ). :confuse: It's optional on the 1LT, but when I did a search within 50 miles of me in the Minneapolis area over half of the 1LTs had the 6AT.
    Backy are you sure. I went on the Lupien Chevy website (first one that popped up under Minneapolis, MN on the GM website) and couldn't find a single 4cyl with a six speed automatic transmission.
    Also the deals you have in Minnesota are available here in the North East. Those are some steals. It would almost be worth flying to the Midwest to get one and then drive it back.
    As I said, I did a search within 50 miles of me. I noticed some dealers had several 1LTs with the I4 and 6AT, and some had few or none. I didn't look at the dealerships too carefully though. So maybe do what I did... use the Search at chevrolet.com, put in a zip code for the Twin Cities (e.g. 55402 is in the heart of Minneapolis), select a search radius, and see what you get.

I would think someplace on the Eastern seaboard would have decent deals on a Malibu?? New Jersey maybe?
    It aint worth driving to New Jersey :). Also a Jersey in the most densely populated stated, I doubt they will have many good deals. Maybe New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island.
    I mentioned NJ because for some reason it seems to have the best deals on Hyundais, perhaps in the country. Maybe it's just a Hyundai thing. :)