Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    edited March 2010
    However, it kind of follows(whodda thunk) Hyundai's marketing of the Sonata.

The Sonata starts at $20k, 3200 lbs, and 198 hp, rather than $27k, 3600 lbs, and 182 hp (at 6700 rpm). I think this strategy will work great for Hyundai, since that company is the very definition of "mass market," but Buick's efforts at premium positioning make this a risky move for the brand.

Let me add that I'd take the Regal turbo very seriously at $27k, and would consider the nonturbo a great deal at $24-25k, marketing strategy notwithstanding. A GS powered by the 260hp Ecotec from the Cobalt SS would be a good range topper at $30k.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited March 2010
    I might be the only person on Earth who thinks this way, but to me the driving experience--ride, handling, comfort--as well as safety are more important than 0-60 numbers as long as the car's power is adequate. Since 182 hp is more than in V6 engines of just a few years ago (e.g. the 3.8L V6 of the late '90s full-sized LeSabre delivered only 170 hp, and late '90s 2-ton Grand Caravan 3.8L V8 had 180 hp), I think it will be more than adequate, at least for me. It's also a more power than in mid-sized I4 cars with similar prices, e.g. Malibu LTZ I4, Fusion SEL I4, and Camry XLE I4.

Those who "feel the need for speed" will want to wait for the Regal turbo or go with one of the V6 cars with closer to 300 hp.
    edited March 2010
    Backy, I agree with your priorities--but when the car is specifically marketed as a sport sedan and priced as such, sporting acceleration should be part of the package.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Adequate 4 cyl power is enough for me, but then I don't really buy premium priced cars and I am not afraid of high rpms.

I see that the late '90s GM 3.8L V6 had 205 HP, actually. That was at only 5200 rpm and peak torque was 230 ft-lbs at 4000 rpm. I believe someone indicated that the 182 HP was at 6500 rpm, that engine will surely not be offering anything like 230 ft-lbs of torque at 4000 rpm.

While cars seemingly sell based on somewhat meaningless HP numbers at very high rpm, most drivers really seem to prefer not revving engines to even 1/2 of the rpm at which those HP numbers occur. The way a lot of people seem to drive, I think they are more likely to feel an engine to be adequate if it feels adequate at about 2500 rpm.

Most of the difference between 182 HP @ 6500 rpm and the TSX's 200 HP @ 7000 rpm is simply due to the higher rpm (the difference in torque is only 3 ft-lbs, based on those numbers).
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    edited March 2010
    >, but to me the driving experience--ride, handling, comfort

I agree with that. The power ratings, the alleged zero-sixty times, the quarter mile times, the G-ratings, the super high alleged gas mileage ratings and all mean little to me. It's what it drives like when I drive one that will sell me. Frankly, for the cars with the wunder high mileage ratings I always take that with a grain of salt. I don't pay attention to the EPA ratings expecting to get that for my typical driving.

It's the driving experience which is a result of the gearing and engine capabilities at the speeds and in the manner I drive it that makes a difference.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited March 2010
    I might be the only person on Earth who thinks this way

It would be hard to make a profit selling only to one person! ;)

No, I agree with you as well. My 1993 LaSabre had 170hp IRRC and it was fine and got 30-31mpg on long, xpressway only trips. I think smoothness has a little bit to do with it too when it comes to cars costing close to 30k and on up. A six does run a lot smoother and usually has more grunt to get moving. And I stand by what I said earlier, the vast majority of people buying cars for 30k plus(which the turbo Regal will most probably be) want some smoothness and 200+ HP IMO.
    The base Regal's peak torque of 172 ft-lbs occurs at 4900 rpm.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the torque number. That is about the same as the TSX engine, though it is actually at higher rpm than TSX's peak torque.

For comparison the 1993 LeSabre, which did have a 3.8L V6 with 170 HP (but at only 4800 rpm) had peak torque of 225 ft-lbs at 3200 rpm.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    a lot of engines are designed to produce power across a large range rather than being designed for specific maximum numbers.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I don't pay attention to the EPA ratings expecting to get that for my typical driving.

Nor do I. I expect to exceed the EPA ratings. :) In my experience, it is very easy to exceed the EPA numbers in any car, as long as some basic fuel-saving techniques are followed (light foot on gas pedal, anticipating stops, sticking to speed limits).
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I might be the only person on Earth who thinks this way, but to me the driving experience--ride, handling, comfort--as well as safety are more important than 0-60 numbers as long as the car's power is adequate.

Absolutely Backy. I drive an '05 TL and it has plenty of power, but is a bit of a pig in handling next to my '98 Audi A4. With over 50 fewer horses, the Audi was a lot more fun to drive. And our current Mazda 5 (micro-minivan!) has much tighter, more responsive steering than my TL. But not nearly as much power. And you know what - the Mazda is more fun to drive.
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    You are talking about the last years of that engine. There was a nice power increase in '95 with the series II 3800. Then in '96 the Eaton SC went from 1 L to 1.5 L. 205 HP without and 240 HP, 282 ft-lbs with the SC in '96. Comparable to a Mustang 5.0 at the time.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited March 2010

You see how the painted alloys look against the silver paint and the foglights on and such? I love that on this car! And how the headlights look with the mirrored chrome inside and such. Looks great.

The GTS model shown is only $23,244.

Here's a review I just found that is making my mind up on getting a Kizashi. Check this out. I've been wanting to get a car with a manual transmission for a while and here's my chance to do just that. Check this review out, friends.

Vehicle

2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Review

Haven't had this much fun driving a car since 1978! Great fun with 6 spd.manual transmission, great pick-up and performance...watch out...in 6th gear you can go from 75-100 in a split second without trying to! LOVE MY KIZASHI!

Favorite Features

Interior! Fosgate sound! Smooth ride! Mileage!

Suggested Improvements

None so far

Here's another one I like.

Vehicle

2010 Suzuki Kizashi SLS 4dr Sedan AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

Review

Iwas waiting for that car for more than a month. First i want to get GTS AWD CVT but they dont make it yet so i put order for SLS AWD CVT. I took delivery on 2/18 and the car had 24 miles on it. Now i can't say to much about acceleration because i have 350miles and still i am brake in a car but driving on high way taking few seconds to get to 80mph. So far i can say car is cool and fun to drive. On snow car feel steady. Interior its nice and it has a lots of room. Car has a lot of features for that price. If you will buy different car with those futures you will pay much more.

Favorite Features

stereo system, moon roof, AWD, paddle shifters, sunroof, push to stat button, auto wipers and lights.

Suggested Improvements

Blind spot warning, 6 cd changer, buck up camera should be standard in all trims and standard navigation in SLS will be nice.

Evidently Suzuki tested this car on the Autobahn. They have done a great job. I loved my test drive and longed for the stick shift version of the car during that drive. And afterwards, too! :)

I am thinking of returning to the Pacific Northwest and in Pullman one does have a lot of snow to deal with. Yes, the home of Washington State University, Pullman. We'll see, I have had a phone interview that went very well. I am going to check out Suzuki dealers in the Pacific Northwest in the Pullman region. I know there's one in Spokane. I miss my homeland, which is actually the Seattle area. But this hospital I'm applying for a job at is winning patient satisfaction awards and it is winning 'Top 100 hospitals to work at in the U.S.' awards as well. I'm very interested! And it does snow a lot in Pullman.

They do plow the streets there, but my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, though a great car, might have trouble in the snow, due to it's high-performance, low-profile Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S Pinna tires. Don't get me wrong, they're great tires. But I suspect the tires with the Lancer suspension and racecar type setup might cause me trouble up in Palouse country.

I'm all excited about the Kizashi and the job in Pullman. Aw, schucks. Ya know I'll be keeping you posted. The Mrs. is going to have to be...umm...nurtured along with this for a while. I may want to wear my flak jacket at the appropriate times. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hi all. I'm considering selling both my 06 Accord and 96 Accord in order to buy one brand new Sonata, preferably stick-shift. Can someone tell me what they think I'd miss by going from my 06 Accord EX to a Sonata GLS with no options?

Also, any guidance on pricing? I wouldn't finance, it would be a cash transaction for me.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    Well, the good news is that even the base GLS has more options than a lot of its competitors' stripped down models.

Since the stick shift Sonatas list at right at or slightly below $20k, you should be able to get one for something in the $18k range.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Sorry for the mildly OT post but iluv, have you considered the forthcoming Outlander Sport? Average of 30MPG, the Lancer's engine (lots of Lancer components, actually), and available AWD to handle the snow. I'd think pricing would be quite competitive against the Suzuki since it slots under the regular Outlander.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2010
    The Sonata is an awesome car, although the GLS with no options is the base car. No power seats, no leather, steel 16'' wheels instead of alloy.. but other than that you still get iPod, Bluetooth, and lots of other options you wouldn't usually get at that price.

Check out http://cars.overstock.com/configurator.html?makeId=2235&modelId=443&upfrontPrici- - - ng=Y for pricing, they have some really good deals listed on there. They list the base Sonata for $17,509. Make sure you add Hyundai cable if you plan to use the iPod, the system is buggy with just the regular Apple cable.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I agree with that. The power ratings, the alleged zero-sixty times, the quarter mile times, the G-ratings, the super high alleged gas mileage ratings and all mean little to me. It's what it drives like when I drive one that will sell me.

Good point, this is why I gave up a 38 MPG Camry Hybrid for the Fusion Sport. I may be getting only around 22 winter 24 summer, but it is fun to drive, comfortable, and handles so much better than a Camry could ever dream of handling. After 16 months behind the wheel of the TCH, and 34K miles, I hated the car. MPG is meaningless if you despise the ride and comfort. This is one big reason I cant drive anything smaller than a mid size car, I don't feel comfortable in them, call it a phobia if you want, but when I had the Prius I felt vulnerable. Too many years driving OTR and seeing what the compacts and sub compacts look like after getting hit by anything other than another compact is scary.
    Since the stick shift Sonatas list at right at or slightly below $20k, you should be able to get one for something in the $18k range.

18k? With a $2500 rebate already sitting on them, I was thinking I could get out the door for $16k if I search hard; fitzmall had some great deals on them.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited March 2010
    18k? With a $2500 rebate already sitting on them, I was thinking I could get out the door for $16k if I search hard; fitzmall had some great deals on them.

That's only on the remaining stock of 2010s. In my area the only offers on the 2011s are a lease special, a $500 owner loyalty offer, and/or special financing.
    Right; I'm after a leftover 2010 Sonata for a rock-bottom price. :)
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    Your first post referenced a "brand new" Sonata. Many of us interpreted this to mean you meant the 2011.
    I do mean brand-new, but I referenced 2010 in the subject line.

Either way, all responses are welcome and appreciated. I'm wondering because the pics aren't clear; do GLS models have audio controls on the wheel?
    edited March 2010
    according to the info posted on Hyundai News, yes they do, at least on models with PEP. Can't say for sure on the very base GLS, though. Still looking.

http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2010_Models/Sonata/Press_Release.asp

;)

Just found for sure, optional on the GLS, standard on other versions.

http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2010_Models/Sonata/Features.asp
    That's very useful, thank you for digging that up.

I'm not sure I can give up my audio controls on the steering wheel. I'm already struggling with the thought of not having a moonroof. Might have to try and find a PEP model.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited March 2010
    Why would you think he would want a SUV/CUV? Just curious.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    You'll have to share why you are getting rid of the 06 Accord at some point, grad. :(
    Well, I like my '06 and don't really seek to unload it for any other reason than I can get a brand new car right now, including selling my '96, with little out-of-pocket cost. The '06 has maintained its value quite well. The warranty is up soon (powertrain, that is) and the b2b is long-gone. I can see the nickels and the dimes starting soon. In 58k miles I've had

CD Changer Replaced
    Rear-View Mirror Replaced
    Gas-Flap Broken
    A rattling rear strut tower that is driving me nuts

Now, my horn is broken. I'm just not confident that this will be nearly as solid as my '96 has been, and feel like it might be a fairly prudent move to get a leftover 2010 Sonata, while they are bargain-basement.

A big part of me really craves a stick-shift.
    You will notice a distinct difference in ride. The '06 Accord has a much firmer ride than the 2010 Sonata GLS, with more precise handling. If you love how your Accord rides and handles, you may not like how the Sonata rides and handles. It is smoother and quieter, but doesn't have as precise handling.

Lots of good stuff on the Sonata though--the std ESC (which your Accord doesn't have unless it's a V6), very nice dash, more interior room, bigger trunk.
    Things I forsee with the Sonata:

1.) No audio controls on steering wheel, maybe a deal-breaker. Part of my motivation for car shopping is to move to a stick-shift. Finding a Sonata with a stick seems impossible enough, but one with PEP and stick just isn't happening. Its sad, because if I'm shifting gears, it'd be nice to be able to have one hand on the wheel that could adjust audio functions as well.

2.) Front-seat room must be at least as good as my Accord. My girlfriend has the latest-gen Santa-Fe and I feel cramped in it from head-to-toe. My Accord is fine if not ideal. I'm 6'5".

3.) I know the Sonata rides better and handles softer, but in reality, all of these cars are within a narrow margin. I do forsee missing little details that my up-level Accord offers, and for that reason I may not even make a move. Can't hurt to look though.

Question: does anybody know what RPM the stick-shift turns on the interstate? I'm hoping nothing about 2,200 or so at 60 MPH. My 5-speed auto Accord turns 2,000 RPM at 60 MPH.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    If you are looking for a 2010 for $16K, you don't want to just spring for the other $2000 or so and check out the 2011? More HP, better handling, steering wheel controls/XM/Ipod on all trims, and better fuel economy with the 6 speed manual instead of the 5 speed in the 2010. Plus the old generation of any car takes a pretty big depreciation hit (look at a 2006 Maxima compared to a 2007 - ouch!)
    Here's the thing:

I'm willing to spend $1,500 out of pocket combined with the net from selling both Accords ('96 and '06). I don't want a car payment if I can help it. If I can't get what I want for that, I'm not buying. I think I can get $3k for my old one and I'm hoping for at least $11,000 for the new one.

I need OTD for $15,500, were this to be the case. That's going to be hard to do on a 2010, much less a 2011. I'd like to test drive a 2011 to at least see what I'm missing, and whether or not I should put $ away for that instead of buying the 2010.

I'm not so much worried about depreciation because part of the reason for buying a 2010 for cheap is because the depreciation hit has sort-of occurred already.
    $1500 plus $3000 from selling the '96 (really? for a 14 year old car?) would give you $4500. That'd pay for a lot of repairs on the '06. :shades:
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    Have you test drove a 2010 Sonata, yet? I hated the electric power steering on it. There was like NO feedback and I thought way too light. It was like a joystick more than a steering wheel. Really, try it out.
    No audio controls on the wheel a deal-breaker?? Okee doke...

How about a nice Optima? Same I4 powertrain as the 2010 Sonata, firmer ride than the Sonata (more like the Accord's), audio controls on the wheel, and even lower priced than the Sonata.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    For $15K, you can get a couple of year used Lexus, let alone a new econobox. The smart money is to get a nearly new $25K car for $15K and let the other owner eat the initial depreciation.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Because iluv has liked his Lancer, both the styling and the equipment, but apparently wants something a little bigger with AWD potential. The Outlander Sport would let him stay in the Mitsu family if he wanted to. Besides what should be better fuel economy than the Kizashi, he would also get a loyalty rebate when purchasing, potentially making it a more lucrative purchase.

Both Mitsu & Suzuki are small players nowadays, but Mitsu sells 4-5 times as many vehicles and is a more likely long-term player in the US market.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    How about just picking up a 2007 Accord EX with a manual transmission? I know where you might find one. :P Seriously though, what is your motivation for a new vehicle? The new car smell? More warranty? You really like that particular make/model of car? Just need a change of pace?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    OK I'll bite. Smart money says buy new rather than inherit someone elses headache. I'd rather drive a new econobox than an x year old Lexus...but that is just me.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited March 2010
    Why would you think he would want a SUV/CUV? Just curious.

it's that I love the Lancer GTS and the Suzuki Kizashi GTS so much more. I really liked our 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4, but don't know that I loved it. It was a very competent little SUV. Saved my butt 2 or 3 times getting out of stuck ice and snow situations. Which is why I even brought that up about going to Pullman, WA. It gets a bunch of snow.

First things first. I first need to get the job over there then I'll shop more seriously for a Kizashi. And I may very well just postpone it for a while. I got all excited about the 2007 Suzuki SX-4 then bought a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

So I will change my mind about what I want. It's just that an SUV is probably not going to fit in to our plans for the future. I have come to like the feel of sitting down lower in the pocket and steering through all the large pick-em-up trucks and SUV's. The Kizashi seemed to prop me up a tad higher from street level than our '08 Lancer GTS does.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Wow, that's incredibly myopic of you. What makes you think that a 2-3 year old certified vehicle that has $5-10K more in raw materials and tougher parts in it isn't going to still be better off than a new budget-mobile?

I'd take a 3 year old *Buick* over a brand new Yaris or Fit. It's like comparing a slightly used Seiko to a new Timex. Except cars depreciate so fast that it's often possible to find a 3 year old car for half the price it was new. Even certified with a warranty if that makes you happy.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    edited March 2010
    Wow, that's incredibly myopic of you.

And how is his preference of buying new over used myopic? It's not. It's a preference. Personally, I'd rather take new over used if I had the choice myself. I'd rather get the vehicle that I want, without worrying about depreciation, previous issues, etc. I don't care how much my vehicle's worth if I enjoy driving it.

Maybe Grad has looked into the option of buying new or used, and ended up with the '10 Sonata as making the most sense for his specific financial and preferential situation. Is that so hard to believe?

Even certified with a warranty if that makes you happy.

Right. the $1500 "warranty" with a 20-page Terms & Conditions booklet typed in 6-point font that ends up not being used, or not covering anything..
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    edited March 2010
    Wow, that's incredibly myopic of you. What makes you think that a 2-3 year old certified vehicle that has $5-10K more in raw materials and tougher parts in it isn't going to still be better off than a new budget-mobile?

I'd take a 3 year old *Buick* over a brand new Yaris or Fit. It's like comparing a slightly used Seiko to a new Timex. Except cars depreciate so fast that it's often possible to find a 3 year old car for half the price it was new. Even certified with a warranty if that makes you happy.

Well, as we've been talking. If you buy an American or a Korean, you can find good deals on those. You cannot get a 2007-08 Accord LX, an Altima 2.5S, or a Camry LE w/ a reasonable mileage for 9K. If it's certified, the price will be almost the same as the new car.
    $1500 plus $3000 from selling the '96 (really? for a 14 year old car?) would give you $4500. That'd pay for a lot of repairs on the '06.

Re-read my post, selling both '96 and '06. :)

As far as the other posts go...

Yes, my Accord is starting to have that nickel and diming feel to it with rattles, etc. I do love it though, and won't buy a car unless I find something which I love more. I went to test drive a 2010 Sonata yesterday, but all they actually had left on the lot were V6 Limited models, stickers over $28k. The dealer's sales manager acted like he'd do me a favor, telling me he could sell me one of them for $25k. I laughed.

While I was there (pardon the unrelated-ness) I did test two Elantra Touring wagons, one with a stick, the other with the 4-speed. The stick-shift was peppy, but boy was the automatic a dog. I guess asking 138 horses to move 3100 lbs is just not a nice thing to do. My '96 Accord felt zipper than that auto. I did like the size, though. The salesman, about 5'11", could sit behind me without his knees hitting the seat. It was about the size of the last Accord Wagon sold.

I still plan to drive a Sonata, but now I'm more confused than I was before. A piece of me wants to drive the Forte or Optima, but silly as it sounds, I still have a hard time believing I'd have any sort of decent resale, especially if I don't drive the wheels off of it. Couple that with our one dealer having a bad rep (you know, the cheesy sleazy) and I don't get a happy feeling about Kia. Are Optima sedans available with bluetooth? I know Fortes come with them standard.

I really appreciate all of the advice and thoughts towards my decision here on the baords. I've been a member for quite awhile, and still enjoy it! :shades:
    There is a message posted over on the Sonata prices paid board that has a fantastic deal someone just got on a 2010 GLS. Maybe you should try to get in touch with him for some info and dealer location.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef040b2/6775#MSG6775
    I'll fill-in the gaps in this discussion. :)

What first started me shopping was that I was seeing transaction prices for brand-new 2010 Sonatas at used-car prices. Best of both worlds there, because in a way, the large part of the depreciation hit has occurred already, but I don't have to give a thought to what the previous owner did to it or why they traded it in with such low mileage. Now that I've shopped, I'm interested in seeing what I can get for my dollar. In the end, I may just keep my dollar!
    I just posed that question on those forums. Thanks a bunch, tenpin!
    Grad,

I like the Elantra Touring as well. I decided against for the same reason you decided against Kia--the local dealership's reputation is sleazy. Have you looked at the Fusion yet? Its feel reminds me a lot of the mid-'90s Accords.
    What first started me shopping was that I was seeing transaction prices for brand-new 2010 Sonatas at used-car prices.

That is the best way to do it, when the car is one you really like. In the last 10 years there have really been only 2 models of cars that I really liked and in both cases great deals were available at the time I considered them.

Back in 2000, I discovered the Contour/Mystique, just as they were disappearing. I ended up not buying a new one. But at one point a dealer offered to sell me a new Mystique for $12,500, I did not buy because it was white. I also walked out on a deal on a black one somewhere else when they changed the price by $500 over what I thought had been agreed to, I'm not sure, but think that one was going to be about $14K. (I ended up buying a couple cheap used ones each of which I drove for a few years and then passed on to kids when they graduated HS)

In 2006, I discovered the Mazda6 and decided I might like to buy one, rather than another used Contique, if the price was right. When I did finally buy my 2007, I think it was pretty close to used car pricing at nearly 25% below MSRP.
    Have you looked at the Fusion yet? Its feel reminds me a lot of the mid-'90s Accords.

Yep; I really like the Fusion. They're priced a little beyond my reach currently though.