Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe

Comments

• lizelize Member Posts: 12
    you mentioned there will be nav and third seat options..do you know if they're adding a rollover sensor?
  • bobdemaybobdemay Member Posts: 2
    Follow this link for info on all 2008 Hyundai products - looks like navigation of some sort is available on Limited models.
    http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2008_Models/Index.asp
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Interesting. Navigation is optional on Santa Fe Limited; Infinity audio system and power sunroof are standard. I can't wait to see what the nav system looks like; hopefully it can be retrofitted to my 2007 Limited.
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    "I can't wait to see what the nav system looks like; hopefully it can be retrofitted to my 2007 Limited."

I've got $5 that says it can. The reason I say that is that nav was an option on 2007 Santa Fes in the European market, and the way they did it was just replace the stereo head unit with one that has an LCD touch screen with built-in nav. In fact, it was a dealer-installed accessory. You can do the same thing with a U.S. market 2007 SF and any of a dozen or so models of aftermarket head units, because all 07 and up Santa Fes use standard double DIN size head units.
    I certainly hope you're correct. My biggest concern is the wiring harness and the connections to the actual head unit. For 2008, in the U.S. navigation is available only on Limited models; in addition, all 2008 Limiteds will come with the Infinity audio system as standard equipment. My 2007 does not have the Infinity system. (I did, however, have new speakers and a 4-channel external amplifier installed.) I hope that this does not render it incompatible with the 2008 Infinity/Navigation head unit.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Sorry for the late reply. I've been away but I will inquire to see if rollover sensor is on the list of additions for 08.
    thx -- from the media kit a few entries above, it doesn't seem to be included. I'm not sure why a highly rated car in the safety arena would neglect to have this when nearly every competitor does....is probably a deal breaker for me...
  • crowartcrowart Member Posts: 25
    Are rollover sensors proven? They seem gimmicky to me... so that car dealers can show us a longer list of features...
    I've had a hard time finding stats on them -- have asked myself the same question. They are getting fairly standard and from the safety leaders, Saab/Volvo, they're all going in their new models if they aren't all ready....when all is said and done, I guess you say, "why not" - particularly if you've got kids in the back seat like I do...
    Um, can someone explain what these are? Why would I need "rollover sensors"? It seems like it would be pretty obvious when the vehicle is rolling over. The 07 and up Santa Fes all have tire pressure monitoring (an anti-rollover feature) along with electronic stability control (an anti-rollover feature), as well as curtain airbags. What does a "rollover sensor" do for you?
    if the vehicle is starting to roll, the sensor picks up the angle of the vehicle and triggers inflation of the side airbags, so the airbag is inflated prior to impact....otherwise, as stated in the Santa Fe manual, the side airbags may very well not inflate during a rollover -- a side crash yes, but not a rollover.
    "otherwise, as stated in the Santa Fe manual, the side airbags may very well not inflate during a rollover"

Intuitively that seems far preferable (that they should inflate), but it might not be necessary and could even be hazardous at times.

Truthfully I have no opinion either way -- however I wouldn't believe anything just because it's in a manual.

Even technical documents can resemble cheap advertising these days.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Waiting for a reply from my contact.

I know Santa Fe has acheived a Top Pick from IIHS, which is few far and between within its class (not many others has acheived such status). On the NHTSA (govt) side, Santa Fe has a perfect 5 stars all around, with a rollover rating as high as possible for the type of the vehicle. Still, rollover sensors are good to have for some.

Which of its competitors have them? Just curious.
    just about all of them - the Mazda Cx7, CRV, HIghlander, Rav, Murano, new Rogue...then, all the luxury vehicles have them too
  • grantcvgrantcv Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the link joe. It's shocking to see that they still haven't added an auxiliary input jack for an iPod like the Rav4 and CRV have - or am I just not reading the specs. properly? I know it would only cost an extra $200-300 to have one installed after-market but I hate to toss out a perfectly fine stereo for nothing!
    I agree, but at least it's one less excuse for dealers to mark up the price another $1500.

Spending $300 for an after-market will feel really good.
  • atlguy2atlguy2 Member Posts: 6
    Did anyone see this article/picture yet?

http://digiads.com.au/car-news/latest-HYUNDAI-news/2008_Hyundai_Santa_Fe_Limited- _Hits_Europe_200708.html

Is the European model different or is this some kind of concept car? It looks sharp.
    Huh? It looks just like a U.S. market Santa Fe to me, except for a few minor cosmetic differences. The one pictured in that article has a mesh grille, for instance, instead of the horizontal grille found on U.S. models. It also has side marker lights, and black-painted fender flares. Other than that, it looks identical to the Santa Fe I bought in Minneapolis three months ago.
    It must also be a diesel since the article claims 38.7 mpg.
  • atlguy2atlguy2 Member Posts: 6
    It also has running boards and reverse sensors. Will any of these features be in the 08 US version?
    I made another trip to my dealer last night to see what info they might have on the 2008s. So far, they haven't received one and they claim to know nothing about any changes; I had to tell them about the optional navigation. Has anyone here heard of a dealer that has actually seen the 2008s?
    "It must also be a diesel since the article claims 38.7 mpg."

Not necessarily. The article appears to be about an Australian market Santa Fe. In Australia, a "gallon" is an "Imperial Gallon", meaning 5 quarts, whereas in the U.S. a gallon is only 4 quarts. Thus, using imperial gallons instead of U.S. gallons immediately increases your apparent mileage figure by 20%.

Still, that would imply a fuel economy rating of 32 mpg using U.S. gallons, which is certainly higher than U.S. market Santa Fe's. We don't know engine size or how the Australian fuel economy ratings are derived, however. Outside the U.S., engine sizes (and power output) are typically a lot lower, and fuel economy is therefore typically better. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the vehicle in the article has a 4 cylinder gas engine.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    i like the idea of fender flares - i would be a little more pronounced - makes it look more masculine/aggressive.... wider tires would be nice too...
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    I believe you'll find that the European model designations of CRTD and CDX do refer to diesel engines. It is also true that an Imperial gallon is slightly larger in volume than a U.S. gallon. That still means that it will do approx. 31-32 U.S. mpg.

There is also an interesting article on the same link in post #68, under " Hyundai News" about 1/2 way down the page headed "Borg Warner V6 Turbo Diesel" for the later Vera Cruz. It's the first V6 cold start Turbo Diesel called the "S" engine which meets new Euro. emissions standards. However, it's unlikely that with the u.S. stricter emissions standards it will be introduced anytime soon in America.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Oh , and as an interesting side note, my brother lives in England and when i told him about purchasing my Santa Fe, he sent me info on a Dealer website from the U.K. showing a Diesel version of the Limited - it was the same price in U.K. Pounds as Dollars, which makes all European versions TWICE THE PRICE in equivalent Dollars. i.e $48-50K !!!
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Knowing Hyundai the navi probably wont be avaliable with the DVD player.
    Well, I'm glad I bought my '07 Santa Fe Limited AWD when I did, because the moonroof is standard in '08 and I did NOT want a moonroof. It would have been nice to have the Infinity stereo, but the one in my '07 is certainly adequate.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    A friend of mine works for Hyundai and I asked him about the 2008's.

No US dealer has 2008's yet and probably won't for another month.

The navigation unit will be produced by LG Electronics. Start of production for the navigation-equipped Santa Fe's is September. Unfortunately, if you order navigation you can not order the DVD system since the navigation unit has one aux output and the XM receiver needs it.
    Great info - thanks, Oscar. Any chance you could ask your friend if they know whether or not the 2008 navigation head unit can be retrofitted to a 2007 Limited without the Infinity system? Many thanks.

- Mike
    Sorry, but the navigation head unit requires an Infinity amp. But even if you had the Infinity amp, the wiring harness to connect the navigation unit to the vehicle has not been developed for the 2007. He went into great detail about the technical issues involved. Bottom line: if there is enough consumer demand for the wiring harness to be developed, LG would develop one, but at this time it is not being worked on. :cry:
    Thanks for the info, Oscar. I should have know that it wouldn't be that easy. Actually, I'm rather surprised that it uses a different wiring harness. I would have thought that the only difference would be an input for the GPS antenna.
    Is it a DVD or hard drive based system. My Guess is DVD.
    The 2008s have been in production since the Fourth of July holiday. Why aren't they here yet?

I keep waiting for the website to change. Nothing yet.
    I think they will update the website very soon. As soon as the Duh sale ends which I think it ended already. I bet they are working on it but hyundai takes its time on web updates.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    I am waiting for the 2008 model...come on Hyundai show us the goodies. Please post any links once they release new info.
  • zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    Is there any reason to hold out for the 2008 over the 2007? I'm guessing the incentives for 2007 are probably quite good right now and wouldn't be available for the 2008s?

thanks!
    The only real reason is to avoid some of the quality bugs they've been dealing with. (Nothing major, and it's all under warranty anyway.)

Also, a "new" 2007 may have been sitting out in the weather for a year now. Not a big deal, but I'd rather a 2008 just the same.

Oh- and the available color combinations are probably very limited now... that's a big thing for some people.
    1. Limiteds will have optional GPS navigation (though not until later in the model year).

2. Infinity audio system will be standard on Limiteds (without the need to buy the DVD entertainment system).

3. Power moonroof will be standard in Limiteds.
    The LG navigation system uses an 8 gig Compact Flash memory card for the map data, although it has a built in DVD player. Since the map runs off the memory card, you can play a CD in the DVD player and still use the navigation system. You can actually watch a DVD movie in it as long as you are in Park!
    Oscar, do you know if there are any pictures of the head unit / screen available for viewing? There's still nothing on Hyundai's USA web site. Thanks.
  • ejonavinejonavin Member Posts: 36
    Any idea on changes in Canada?
    Do you imagine that the cost will be higher though, or do you think the same incentives are standard? It would be nice to have the new equipment, etc...but not at the cost of $1000 - $1500 rebate.

Thanks!
    Thanks very much, Oscar. Interesting stuff.
    The sticker price will likely be very close to a comparably-equipped 2007. Since we're talking Limited, figure on roughly the same as a 2007 Limited with Premium Package (moonroof) plus another $500 - $1000 (I'm guessing) for the Infinity system. It's impossible to know for sure how much to add for Infinity since it's not available as a stand-alone option for 2007. How much the dealers will be discounting 2008s and what rebates there will be early on (if any) is anyone's guess.
    Ah, well if that's the case then I'd be better off with a 2007 because I'd be buying it without any options so I'm guessing that price would be better.

It doesn't matter what I do - the opposite will end up being cheaper/better - Murphy's Law and all that!
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Well it is a budget issue in my case plus I feel better buying the 2nd year redesign.
    I want the nice stereo without having to get the rear dvd system. I am not sure that I want the navigation system unless it has some kind of hand free calling.
    So yes I am holding out baby holding out.
    08 veracruz will have Bluetooth handsfree. Might have to wait until october/november.
    oops wrong forum. LG navigation is looking good but similar to the Mozen System and the middle eastern one.