Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe

Comments

• rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Companies like parrot make hands free calling for hyundai.
  • sunmailsunmail Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone confirm that '08 SF's will have aux port in dash to accept I-Pod?

Heard they would but can't confirm. Not keen on tapping into new vehicle electronics if not available but will do if necessary.

Thanks.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    The '09 should have an in-dash aux jack. For the '07 or '08 you can get a dealer installed aux jack that is installed in the open storage area in front of the gear shift lever. The kits are just starting to go out to the dealers (according to my friend in Hyundai's Parts department).
  • ejonavinejonavin Member Posts: 36
    How much for the aux install?
  • jclevinjclevin Member Posts: 7
    I really love the ’07 and ’08 SF but from what I have researched, it appears the SF does NOT have a rollover sensor for the side airbags (i.e. no rollover airbags). Is this true? CRV and RAV4 do have this safety feature.

For those who don’t know what rollover airbags are:
    A gyroscopic sensor(s) mounted in the vehicle is able detect when a vehicle rollover is imminent. If a vehicle rollover is imminent, the side-impact head air bags are typically triggered in combination with safety belt retractors to remove slack from the safety belt and keep the occupant(s) firmly in their seat. Rollover side-impact airbags are designed to:

- Stay inflated longer to help protect the heads of the occupants during the rollover to compensate for the extended time associated with a rollover accident.
    - Protect the heads of the driver or passengers from hitting the interior of the vehicle during a rollover.
    - Reduce the chances of an occupant being ejected during a severe rollover accident.
    - Reduce the intrusion of glass or other vehicle components, such as interior trim, into the occupant area.

I know the SF has received very high crash safety ratings; however, SUV’s do carry an increased risk of rollover and while one never expects to be in a rollover accident – I’m sure people who have been in rollover accidents never expected to be in one either. IMHO, having rollover airbags in a SUV is a must have. Does anyone else feel the same way or am I being too safety paranoid? Can someone else confirm if the no rollover airbag thing is true for SF?
    $95 I think.
  • crowartcrowart Member Posts: 25
    You have to look for national statistics, and not just 1 or 2 studies but large amounts of data. Until then, don't buy the marketing. It's all theoretical (however well-reasoned).

I know that most companies are genuinely concerned about driver safety, but so long as there is a large financial incentive.... don't believe everything you hear.

If you question whether there's $ involved, just read this piece from 2004-

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/jul/1056149.htm

There ARE people who want rollover sensors required only so that they can make money. Whether that saves any lives is a different question.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    I am trying to decide between the Santa Fe and the new Tribeca. The Tribeca is AWD and it does have rollover sensors. It is a bit higher $ than the Santa Fe and it doesn't have any gadgets to speak of.
    I wonder about rollover protection in the Santa Fe.
    Any ideas when the 2008 will hit the showroom?
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I've read at least one report of a 2008 at a dealer NOW, so they've just begun trickling in. 2008s have been in production since July so Hyundai must have had a large stockpile of 2007s to get rid of before they began shipping 2008s.
  • lizelize Member Posts: 12
    I do not think you're being overly paranoid - with a greater propensity for an SUV to rollover, it is confusing as to why they have not added the sensor feature...I am safety paranoid, and then again, have a small child in that back seat....
    Picture those airbags soaked with burning oil and gasoline. Are they still a must-have? I would think they could get in the way of rescuers trying to extract you from the vehicle, or even hamper your own efforts if you're trapped upside-down.

But then that's what they said about seat-belts.

They might be very worth having. I'm just saying it's not the perfect answer to surviving every rollover that happens.

We'll know in a couple of years when the statistics start forming. Unfortunately somebody has to be the guinea pigs... we'll see if they're really safer.
    I asked a local dealership near me about the 2008's and he said that they would arrive towards the end of the year of course he promptly told me that he had good deals on the 07's. I told me that I wasn't ready to buy a car just yet. I will be ready after the first of the year. Oh well.
  • glen_1glen_1 Member Posts: 1
    Has the ride and handling changed from the 2007 to the 2008?
    The press release for the 2008 indicates "Santa Fe’s ride and handling were tuned in California and Michigan by Hyundai’s U.S. team with the American consumer in mind".
    Some of the reviews for 2007 indicated a stiff or busy ride so has there been a change from the 2007?.
    I hope Hyundai considers that complainers..... tend to complain. People who really like the ride and handling don't sound off about it unless specifically asked.

Personally I'd rather they didn't change it at all.
  • walterqwalterq Member Posts: 16
    Any word on 2008s yet ... they're in dealers in Ontario, Cda, none in NY that I know of.
    Last week a salesman tried telling me they were months off. Then we sat down to haggle a price quote, and he suddenly said "Oh I think I have an '08 on the way in that color."

Turned out that he didn't, but I'm still not going back to him.

Then there is one dealer who is still getting new 2007s in, but I think they are taking them from other dealers so the other guys will have room for 2008s.

Oh- and I've had 2 different dealers explain how they order the Santa Fe "from port". Maybe that's jargon for any large holding facility, but in my language "port" means "ocean harbor".... yet the cars are made in Alabama.

The North American models are anyway.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I know what you mean but people do talk about rail ports and many of them are inland. Union Pacific is building a big new one in San Antonio to handle Toyota shipments from the new Texas plant (there's more of that nautical wording again).
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I just got this back from Hyundai Consumer Affairs regarding 2008 SF availability...

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

We would like to advise to at this time the 2008 Santa Fe should be arriving in October or late November.

That helps a lot. :confuse:
    Personally I'd write back with a picture of the Murano you are buying instead. Tell them it's only because they dragged their feet for too long.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    My wive contacted a service department person at Hyundai and he was sounding like the 2.7 would not be available in 2008 does anyone know if this is true?

Oh yeah one reason to get a 2008 is the battery. I remember test driving a small Hyundai sedan in 2001 and got about 1 mile and battery died. If they don't sell or even move them around those suckers must start discharging.

I seem to recall Hyundai salesmen saying that the battery is warrenteed for 2 years on a 2007. But I could be wrong.

Would be nice to get a fresh battery installed prior to purchase as then you would not have to worry about getting stranded.

I also read about cars staying on lots and the tires getting out of round, I believe this really does happen if they sit around a long time. I have personally had tires out of round and they are not fun. Would sure like the freshest car on the lot when it comes to purchase. Not to say an 08' would not have been laying around for say 8 months prior to sale. Out of round tires can really cause you driving issues at higher speeds.

This is of course not limited to Hyundai.
    The 2.7 liter engine will continue as the only engine on 2008 Santa Fe GLS models.
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    "I also read about cars staying on lots and the tires getting out of round, I believe this really does happen if they sit around a long time. I have personally had tires out of round and they are not fun."

How old are you? The reason I ask is that the problem you describe used to be common when most cars had bias ply tires. If you left a car sitting on bias ply tires for extended periods of time, they would develop flat spots. With the advent of radial tires, however, that problem went away. To my knowledge, all new cars have come with radial tires for the last 30+ years.
    Funny you brought that up my first out of round were chevy corvair bias ply. After months of sitting in the driveway.

But my Camry 2001 has a problem with out of round one set.

It may be more rim related then I think.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    With the advent of radial tires, however, that problem went away.

That's true for the most part but radials can and do get flat spots. However, they "smooth out" very quickly (typically within minutes of driving). Also, the polyester used on radials can deform permanently beyond a certain temperature (around 165° F) so it's theoretically possible in a few exceptional locations where asphalt gets that hot.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cavuucavuu Member Posts: 2
    Canadian 2.7 is available in GL and GLS
    The top of the line in Canada is now called the Limited same as US
    Article below: Says discontinued

http://autos.yahoo.com/2007_hyundai_santa_fe/
    If you look closely you'll see that there's one version of each model showing up as "discontinued". There's also one version of each model (including GLS / 2.7 liter) without the "discontinued" label. The models that are discontinued are the early-production versions without XM radio. The ones that are currently available have XM radio. The 2.7 liter GLS continues into model year 2008.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    You'll wish it were discontinued. Get the larger engine and be happier.

I have the 2.7 awd and can't wait to upgrade to the bigger engine.
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    I have a GLS AWD with the 2.7 engine and it runs fine with plenty of power for the hills, and city mileage around 19 mpg. I`ll have to admit it wouldn`t do that great on a drag strip but I tested the 3.3 engine before I bought mine and I didn`t see that much difference. Why could you possibly be unhappy with the 2.7 engine? I`ll have to admit changing the oil on the 2.7 sucks, the filter is underneath and your arm gets covered with oil when you take out the old filter but other than that.....no problems.
    IMO the only reason to go with a GLS with the 2.7 is to get a manual transmission (which is not available on any other versions of the Santa Fe). The automatic on a GLS is only a 4-speed (as opposed to the 5-speed auto on SEs and Limiteds with the 3.3 liter engine); in today's market, a 4-speed is ancient technology. Heck, with so many 6-speed autos out there even a 5-speed is nothing special these days.
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    Your right, 4 speeds are ancient technology, but there are still a lot of vehicles out there with 4 speeds and most of them are with automatic transmisssions, say what you want about 5 or 6 speed transmissions, they way I see it is there are one or two more gears to give you problems down the road when you have accumulated some miles on it, transmission repairs are not cheap. I`ll admit the more gears the more efficient things will be. Personally, I`m fine with the 4 speed but being age 65 maybe has something to do with it, I`m in no great hurry to get someplace now, been there done that, and while I have you here please tell me what is so great about the 3.3 engine that I have test driven, correct me if I`m wrong but the cylinder walls are only .6 tenths larger than the 2.7 engine. Later, PK
    "...while I have you here please tell me what is so great about the 3.3 engine that I have test driven, correct me if I`m wrong but the cylinder walls are only .6 tenths larger than the 2.7 engine..."

It's simply a matter of power and torque. The 3.3 liter puts out 242 hp vs. the 2.7's 185. Torque is 226 lb./ft. vs. 183. In a 3800 lb. vehicle, these differences are very significant. Some buyers will value the resulting performance benefits, others won't. I do.
    "...there are still a lot of vehicles out there with 4 speeds and most of them are with automatic transmisssions, say what you want about 5 or 6 speed transmissions, they way I see it is there are one or two more gears to give you problems down the road when you have accumulated some miles on it, transmission repairs are not cheap...

True. There are also still a lot of vehicles out there without air conditioning, power windows, and great sound systems. I'll never buy one, though. As for transmission repairs, with a 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty I'm not too worried about it.
    I drove a CVT Nissan recently. They've really improved a lot.

I can see the Santa Fe getting six gears eventually. The Vera Cruz already has it.

Even the Lexus RX350 (which Hyundai basically copied) only has five.
    To me the more gadgets the more repairs. Now you get sensors to watch the abs traction control, tire pressure, air bags, funky transmissions that are mostly gimicks, and all those other things.

Looks like the security system in cars can also give you grief, been reading about batteries dying and the security systems getting reprogrammed or something requiring you to wait 15 minutes before trying to turn the car over. Who needs that?

I like simple days when all you did was turn a key and had an idiot light to tell you you were low on oil or the engine was over heating. Now they are so complicated it costs moco bucks to repair even if it is the actual sensor that is malfuncting and is the cause of the problem. One thing I would not like to buy are auto side doors like minivans have. Who needs them why are people so lazy. I always hear about people in vans that have those auto open doors having problems. Just keep it simple and get me where I want to go. Same goes for sun roofs, they leak and I bet break down over time for what? letting some light in? Until they make those sensors bullet proof and motors that last I am not a big fan.
    Yeah I have no problem with the 2.7 power outage. I just think they are so close in price with more options could get an SE. Would not rule them out because of the better MPG even though its only slightly better. I was wondering if it was the Xm that caused them to say they were discontinued.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Does anyone have information on what the new prices are for the '08s? Also, how about when they will start showing up in the dealerships. I'm in the NYC area and was unable to find an 2007 that meets what I want. One dealer told me maybe in 2 weeks while another one said 1 month but both sounded like they were guessing at best.

Also, for those owners with the XM radio, can you pick up the non-XM stations with this radio. I don't know if I want to pay for subscriptions.
    Sounds like you're not exactly a car enthusiast. What I consider to be huge improvements in automotive design you see as gimmicks. Keep in mind that cars built during the "simple days when all you did was turn a key and had an idiot light to tell you you were low on oil or the engine was over heating" were far less safe, far less comfortable, and far less reliable than today's machines. Sorry, but I disagree with your entire point of view. BTW, I've had 9 different cars with sunroofs; none has ever leaked.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Yes you can. CD/MP3 player also.
    If I want to be nannied by a car, I will buy one that does that. These are unwelcome, unwanted features/sensors/gimmicks that are forced on us by government.

They have also created an outrageous service racket, since we can't fix our own cars without computer codes, costing us needless days in repair and thousands more in expense.
    Does anybody know if the Santa Fe navigation unit is going to support hands-free calling? I have seen some LG units that do. Any response is appreciated.
    The navigation system itself does not support hands-free calling, but you can get a Bluetooth system that replaces the upper sunglass holder.
    Thanks for your response. Where would I get this system? Is this from Hyundai.
    I am waiting for the 2008 Santa Fe and I was really hoping it came with bluetooth connectivity.
    I want to test drive a Rogue and RAV4 but both them are too small not enough room in the front driver area.
    So here I am back with the Santa Fe.
    The Bluetooth system is a Hyundai part, but I don't know if it is dealer installed or what. I'll ask my Hyundai friend and he'll tell me.
    Yeah let me know when you find out. Thanks.
    The Bluetooth system should be available for dealers to order within two weeks. It will be about $300 and will replace the upper sunglass holder. If you can't wait or its too much, you can always order a Bluetooth auto speaker off ebay. I got a prior generation Motorola one for $26. It would not be as deluxe as the Hyundai one, but it meet my needs: better sound quality and hands-free driving.
  • rhonasrhonas Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know when the 2008 will be available and their pricing
    I stopped at a hyundai dealer and they are waiting possible a couple of months. They don't know pricing just yet.
    I am waiting for a 2008. As soon as I know I will post it.
    I have made up my mind to buy one real soon...
    When is the Santa Fe aux in jack coming in? Whats the part number for the SF aux in jack? Some say only veracruz is getting it.