Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Is Your Car Even WORTH Stealing?

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
Now that car theft has become an entry-level
entreprenurial business in America, it seems that
car thieves are getting fussy. They don't even want
some cars.

Here's a link that let's you take the Car Theft
Test, to see how popular your car is with thieves,
and it also suggests what level of theft protection
you might need for your particular car in your
particular location.

Is My Car Good Enough To Steal?

My car failed...it was like 400th on the
list...hah...I should have typed in Corvette!

Comments

• scannerscanner Posts: 295
    My Plymouth Voyager ranked 28th on the most commonly stolen list, and 88 out of 100 on the thief popularity scale. :-(

Fortunately, I do implement methods from the first three mentioned layers of protection.

I actually witness people tampering with my '69 Ford on two separate occasions. Yes, it has an alarm, thieves will steal anything.

Any Honda Accord owners out there? Can you say LoJack.
  • odyceeodycee Posts: 33
    My 85 RX-7 is so old and no thief want a rotary engine car anyway.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Oh, I would. Where's it parked?
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    My 1996 Dodge Ram was 58th most stolen and scored 74 out of 100 on the popularity list... although, with the Cummins under the hood and a 7000 pound curb weight, it's not going anywhere very quickly.
  • I got 5th. Mustang. Fortunately, I live in a rather rural area. That was neat though. Thanks for the link.
    Mr Shiftright, my RX-7 needs a new clutch,radiator,brakes,alternator, and a oil leaking engine. It park in San Jose, CA so come and get it.
    Gee, how are the door handles? We gotta find you a new car....
    My next car will be the BMW Z3 M Coupe. Waiting for my company stock hits $40/share.
  • Saints Preserve Us All! My 1984 Tercel scored 76 out of 100 points. Strangely enough, though, what with the car's cracked windshield, severely rusted body, and 207,500 on the clock, the leisured class has managed to contain its enthusiasm for Making It Their Own. This despite my utter inability to remember the last time I locked the doors or even, in the summer, rolled up the windows. Maybe the scoring system doesn't take into account body style variations; my Tercel is a 4WD wagon and is, by any reasonable standard, funny-looking. Or maybe we've just got a more finicky stripe of thief around here.
    Just goes to show that even in the stolen car competition, the japanese have a big market share.
    You know, you steal an American car, and 6 months later you have trouble with it and have to return it...what a drag...
  • I've had my share of having torn up door locks replaced on my 94 hyundai excel. Because the car thieves in my area don't know how to use a slim jim.
  • avs007avs007 Posts: 100
    There was a VWDasher stolen in town last month, of all things!)

You want funny, come to my school... 3 years ago, in the parking structure, a VW "bus" was stolen, but parked next to it was an M3, Supra TT, and a Volvo T5-R....
    that's because a VW bus is so easy to steal, I bet...
    Mr. Shiftright,
    Since u decline to take my rx7, I had the clutch,radiator, and o-rings(oil leak). The car runs like new at 230K miles. The doors are always unlock but no thieves want it, even the Edmunds host refuses to take it.
    Only because it wasn't a turbo coupe, odycee...right car, wrong model!
    the BMW and Lexus probably have alarms and yours do not.
    That could be an expensive repair, depending on what they damaged internally...often they cut the lock out, so you just can't put one back in without some welding. I'd say an easy $750 dollars if welding is involved ($300 bodywork + $300 paint + $100 parts give or take...)..those are west coast prices, so yours may be lower...maybe you'll get "lucky" if that's the word to use in this context, I dunno....
  • shcst12shcst12 Posts: 34
    odycee,

Are you serious? The fact is: Yes G20 comes with alarm system. I guess I am just unlucky.

Mr_Shiftright,

Thanks for the estimate
    Shcst12,
    I do not lock my doors and roll down the windows so the thieves can take the car if they please. I need someone to take this car so my wife let me buy a new one. She'd not let me donate the damn old car.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 331
    RE: topic.

No.
  • '86 Toyota Corolla. I'm not worried, though, because of theft-proofing measures apparently designed by the manufacturer. Like the paint, designed to wear off in splotches, or the 18-inch crack in the windshield.

And now a VW bus theft true story, from Los Angeles. The owner had a "club" locked on to the steering wheel. To steal the bus, thieves broke the steering wheel and steered it by the stumps left on the column.
  • gusgus Posts: 254
    The club is only a deterrent for joyriders. Any die-hard thief who wants your car will find a way around the club. Trite to say, but oh, so true!
  • thedeckthedeck Posts: 1
    Can anyone direct me to a system which features all four layers of protection?(including tracking) This is my first car and I don't want to lose it. Money is not an issue when it comes to car security.

Thank you for your time.
  • avs007avs007 Posts: 100
    Since money is no object, just hire a security guard to watch your car 24:7

:)
    Actually, I should clarify my answer to this topic.

I don't think it would be worthwhile to steal my car for sale or parts. But, at some point, it'll be worthwhile to pay somebody to steal my car and report it stolen.

So...No and Yes. ;-)
  • formula94formula94 Posts: 22
    Let me tell ya in the Northeast mostly toyotas (older version) and a lot of earlier gms are stolen...but in my job i learn that thiefs are not taking these cars it is the owners...but these people pay my mortgage...Plus these stats are questionable..I work close with nicb...this really does not take into account alarms,vats/passkey systems ect...I have only investigated 2 pass key thefts and both were done by the owners.
    Club can be defeated in seconds cut the steering wheel with a hacksaw...all other theft detterents are useless, get a lojack..photo any aftermarket parts and be smart!
    My friend June has a pretty good anti-theft device in her Porsche ...he's called Jake, he's a German shepherd, and he weighs about 110 lbs.
    formula94. By my recollection, in Canada the insurance industry has found Honda Civics and Accords to be the "most stolen" vehicles. The explanation given was: the parts are SO expensive, you don't even have to try to sell it as an entire vehicle. There is an adequate profit motive in stripping it for parts and letting the "shell" go off a flat-bed at 3a.m. on a dirt road.

I believe Chrysler minivans also scored high, however, that was more joyriders. Apparently the (perhaps not most recent models) Chrysler minivan locks can be picked by a cross-eyed baby.
    I was being a bit of a wise guy..first i am from the USA, second I do a lot of auto fraud work..mostly the owners are stealing their own cars,too much money, maitenence problems ect... .SO i see a lot of different types of cars stolen then the "legit" thefts!
This discussion has been closed.