Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is Your Car Even WORTH Stealing?

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
Now that car theft has become an entry-level
entreprenurial business in America, it seems that
car thieves are getting fussy. They don't even want
some cars.

Here's a link that let's you take the Car Theft
Test, to see how popular your car is with thieves,
and it also suggests what level of theft protection
you might need for your particular car in your
particular location.

Is My Car Good Enough To Steal?

My car failed...it was like 400th on the
list...hah...I should have typed in Corvette!

Comments

• scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    My Plymouth Voyager ranked 28th on the most commonly stolen list, and 88 out of 100 on the thief popularity scale. :-(

Fortunately, I do implement methods from the first three mentioned layers of protection.

I actually witness people tampering with my '69 Ford on two separate occasions. Yes, it has an alarm, thieves will steal anything.

Any Honda Accord owners out there? Can you say LoJack.
  • odyceeodycee Member Posts: 33
    My 85 RX-7 is so old and no thief want a rotary engine car anyway.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh, I would. Where's it parked?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    My 1996 Dodge Ram was 58th most stolen and scored 74 out of 100 on the popularity list... although, with the Cummins under the hood and a 7000 pound curb weight, it's not going anywhere very quickly.
  • GTRocksGTRocks Member Posts: 48
    I got 5th. Mustang. Fortunately, I live in a rather rural area. That was neat though. Thanks for the link.
    Mr Shiftright, my RX-7 needs a new clutch,radiator,brakes,alternator, and a oil leaking engine. It park in San Jose, CA so come and get it.
    Gee, how are the door handles? We gotta find you a new car....
    My next car will be the BMW Z3 M Coupe. Waiting for my company stock hits $40/share.
  • countrylawyercountrylawyer Member Posts: 11
    Saints Preserve Us All! My 1984 Tercel scored 76 out of 100 points. Strangely enough, though, what with the car's cracked windshield, severely rusted body, and 207,500 on the clock, the leisured class has managed to contain its enthusiasm for Making It Their Own. This despite my utter inability to remember the last time I locked the doors or even, in the summer, rolled up the windows. Maybe the scoring system doesn't take into account body style variations; my Tercel is a 4WD wagon and is, by any reasonable standard, funny-looking. Or maybe we've just got a more finicky stripe of thief around here.
    Just goes to show that even in the stolen car competition, the japanese have a big market share.
    You know, you steal an American car, and 6 months later you have trouble with it and have to return it...what a drag...
  • golf464golf464 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my share of having torn up door locks replaced on my 94 hyundai excel. Because the car thieves in my area don't know how to use a slim jim.
  • avs007avs007 Member Posts: 100
    There was a VWDasher stolen in town last month, of all things!)

You want funny, come to my school... 3 years ago, in the parking structure, a VW "bus" was stolen, but parked next to it was an M3, Supra TT, and a Volvo T5-R....
    that's because a VW bus is so easy to steal, I bet...
    Mr. Shiftright,
    Since u decline to take my rx7, I had the clutch,radiator, and o-rings(oil leak). The car runs like new at 230K miles. The doors are always unlock but no thieves want it, even the Edmunds host refuses to take it.
    Only because it wasn't a turbo coupe, odycee...right car, wrong model!
    the BMW and Lexus probably have alarms and yours do not.
    That could be an expensive repair, depending on what they damaged internally...often they cut the lock out, so you just can't put one back in without some welding. I'd say an easy $750 dollars if welding is involved ($300 bodywork + $300 paint + $100 parts give or take...)..those are west coast prices, so yours may be lower...maybe you'll get "lucky" if that's the word to use in this context, I dunno....
  • shcst12shcst12 Member Posts: 34
    odycee,

Are you serious? The fact is: Yes G20 comes with alarm system. I guess I am just unlucky.

Mr_Shiftright,

Thanks for the estimate
    Shcst12,
    I do not lock my doors and roll down the windows so the thieves can take the car if they please. I need someone to take this car so my wife let me buy a new one. She'd not let me donate the damn old car.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    RE: topic.

No.
  • shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    '86 Toyota Corolla. I'm not worried, though, because of theft-proofing measures apparently designed by the manufacturer. Like the paint, designed to wear off in splotches, or the 18-inch crack in the windshield.

And now a VW bus theft true story, from Los Angeles. The owner had a "club" locked on to the steering wheel. To steal the bus, thieves broke the steering wheel and steered it by the stumps left on the column.
  • gusgus Member Posts: 254
    The club is only a deterrent for joyriders. Any die-hard thief who wants your car will find a way around the club. Trite to say, but oh, so true!
  • thedeckthedeck Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone direct me to a system which features all four layers of protection?(including tracking) This is my first car and I don't want to lose it. Money is not an issue when it comes to car security.

Thank you for your time.
  • avs007avs007 Member Posts: 100
    Since money is no object, just hire a security guard to watch your car 24:7

:)
    Actually, I should clarify my answer to this topic.

I don't think it would be worthwhile to steal my car for sale or parts. But, at some point, it'll be worthwhile to pay somebody to steal my car and report it stolen.

So...No and Yes. ;-)
  • formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    Let me tell ya in the Northeast mostly toyotas (older version) and a lot of earlier gms are stolen...but in my job i learn that thiefs are not taking these cars it is the owners...but these people pay my mortgage...Plus these stats are questionable..I work close with nicb...this really does not take into account alarms,vats/passkey systems ect...I have only investigated 2 pass key thefts and both were done by the owners.
    Club can be defeated in seconds cut the steering wheel with a hacksaw...all other theft detterents are useless, get a lojack..photo any aftermarket parts and be smart!
    My friend June has a pretty good anti-theft device in her Porsche ...he's called Jake, he's a German shepherd, and he weighs about 110 lbs.
    formula94. By my recollection, in Canada the insurance industry has found Honda Civics and Accords to be the "most stolen" vehicles. The explanation given was: the parts are SO expensive, you don't even have to try to sell it as an entire vehicle. There is an adequate profit motive in stripping it for parts and letting the "shell" go off a flat-bed at 3a.m. on a dirt road.

I believe Chrysler minivans also scored high, however, that was more joyriders. Apparently the (perhaps not most recent models) Chrysler minivan locks can be picked by a cross-eyed baby.
    I was being a bit of a wise guy..first i am from the USA, second I do a lot of auto fraud work..mostly the owners are stealing their own cars,too much money, maitenence problems ect... .SO i see a lot of different types of cars stolen then the "legit" thefts!
  • quickshiftquickshift Member Posts: 16
    Who would steal your Hyundai? The car is so unpopular due to 80's reputation, no one wants a Hyundai.
  • zacharylauriezacharylaurie Member Posts: 51
    I'm so happy! My car is 82nd!!!!! I have yet another reason to love my '93 Mercury Sable! My baby is safe from the bad guys! :)
  • dwanndwann Member Posts: 5
    Well!!! 2nd overall in 1997 as far a stealing and 57 out of 100 score. I'm getting a flame thrower unit installed!!
  • classic1classic1 Member Posts: 8
    Ranks 84 out of 100 in popularity. I live in Miami, and we apparently have a higher class of theives than in other parts of the country. I don't wash the car because the dirt's the only thing keeping it together. Sure it may have glass-tops, automatic transmission, stereo, but one look at the paint job (believed to have been put on by a roller), and the rust that's starting to show up, and that's all she wrote. Actually, come to think of it, the money I'm putting into parts replacement, someone could steal the car for parts! Honey....you get the club and I'll buy the LoJac.
    In Canada, at least, you can use the www.canadalife.com website to get online quotes and get a ballpark idea of what the difference is going to be for one model vs. another.

For my rather pedestrian car (1993, 4dr, Chevy Corsica) and my habits & driving record, it would cost me $250 more per year to have a 1993, 4dr, Accord LX. Given that my car has just needed belts, hoses, tires, fluids, I've saved around $1000 over the last 4years. That's two weeks of summer vacation for us!!!
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    So how is the ride and equipment? I believe that Accord is much refined and with power everything. That is your $250/yr goes. It's worth it. Think this way: If the driving make you happier and in good mood, that will worth much more than $250/yr and also you can work a few more hours/yr to get that money 'cause you are happy and knows that few extra hours are working for a better car.

BTW, How can you have 2 weeks vacation with only $1000? You only earn $600 for 2 weeks? It will cost you the expense + your salary to get you a vacation. Come on! Get a better car and enjoy the driving!
    shmang. This is with regards to AUTO INSURANCE - a car with (e.g.) A/C or power seats doesn't cost more to insure than one without. Surely your insurance broker doesn't ask you about power seats when determining your rate - it's not related or represented directly in accident stats.

There's only so much happiness I can derive from driving a car - when you get right down to it, a car is a car, and spending time with my families or biking, hiking, kayaking is sooooo much more enjoyable. And extra cash goes into appreciating assets: house, stocks, bonds.

Salary. You are NOT using the term salary correctly, in the much North American labour legislation (I'm assuming this is a translation thing) salary refers to what you would earn regardless of the hours worked.

Some people have a salaried position, which pays a certain amount per day regardless of the hours worked. During their holidays, these people (me) are still paid their salary.

Some people have jobs that pay a base salary, for 40hrs/week PLUS paid overtime. These people (used to be me) still earn their base salary during holidays.

For hourly workers (the situation you're referring to) they are generally paid for the hours worked. Some unionized workers also get a payment/week of vacation (e.g. the CAW and UAW).
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    actually, a/c, power seats, etc. do factor into your car insurance cost in the "comprehensive" part of your policy. at least for those who write insurance in new jersey. there's a questionnaire that you fill out that itemizes all the options/whatever you have on your car. it has to do with replacement cost, in case of theft or totalling...
    ccotenj. The Canada Life insurance comparison in question specifically did NOT ask about power seats, etc.. At any rate, 93 Accords were available without power-everything and I know someone who owns a 93 Accord. Prior to purchasing he got estimates for an Accord with and without power everything, and they were the same. May very well be a company or country-specific thing, but my comparison stands.
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    sorry, no flame intended. just pointing out that your situation may not be the same as someone else's.
  • triftrif Member Posts: 4
    According to this web site, Civics are the #4 most stolen car, and scores an 89. But I wonder if they take into account just how many Civics are out there. Honda sells a lot of them and they run damn near forever, so just on an opportunity basis one would expect a lot of them to be stolen.
  • zacharylauriezacharylaurie Member Posts: 51
    I have a hard time believing anyone would steal a early 90s, or late 80s car unless for parts.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I would be looking for a rather pedestrian car, like a Corsica, or an Accord, or even a Geo Metro. Something no one would suspect having been stolen as I drive it down the highway. Maybe this is why Accords and Camries and Civics are so popular, not just for parts and rebuilders, but also because in a given block of traffic, there are several of each...making it tough to pinpoint the stolen car. Especially a neutral gray or gold 1997 Camry LE. Those are so common it's scary!
  • juliette94juliette94 Member Posts: 8
    Tell me, who out there wants to steal an 86 Camry, with body damage, and no frills? Yet someone broke in last night (parked across the street from my house), jimmied the door open and took out the ignition switch. Now, with no comprehensive insurance, I have to pay for the door damage, and the ignition switch. And maybe my battery will die with the door ajar.

If only criminals had some common sense...
  • spnxspnx Member Posts: 37
    Possibly the same thief who attempted to steal my 1983 Celica a few years ago. This desirable automobile had 350,000 kms on it, and extensive bodywork, painted an attractive grey colour, which was a nice contrast to the white colour of the rest of the vehicle.

You'll be happy to hear that I grabbed a garden implement and went out and confronted the guy. (yeah, yeah, I know, but it was my only car at the time, and I needed it...).

Who knows what motivates these people?
  • bill11770bill11770 Member Posts: 29
    I don't know who would want a 86 Camry or 83 Celica when instead they took my buddy's 81 VW rustbucket rabbit. When the car was found about 2 months later, it had been cleaned inside and out (vacuumed and washed) and whoever did it, was driving it around. I guess nobody would suspect a crappy car to be a stolen car.
  • iup_no_ytiiup_no_yti Member Posts: 11
    crazy asz people stealin cars! no one is safe from the compulsive theif! not even your grand pas 1980 ford pinto. why i ask, why why why?
  • iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    I took the link to NCIB, and mine came out 4th! I own a '98 Honda Civic DX hatchback. I thought Civics were popular, but I had no idea they were so popular with thieves. But I'm still not sure that that rating would apply to me. I would think that they would rather be stealing a loaded EX coupe with a sunroof, than a hatchback - But who knows?! Judging from the previous posts, it seems that they'll steal anything!!
  • sable93sable93 Member Posts: 107
    iwphill,

A coworker had her ugly (don't tell her I said so :o) '82 or so Chevette stolen. Sometimes thieves just don't make any sense. I hope no one ever goes after my Sable. It was in the 80s, but I suppose it is still possible.
  • iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    Sable93,

They really stole an '82 Chevette?! What were they thinking? You're right, though - sometimes thieves just don't make any sense. I mean, what could you use it for - a getaway car, parts? Wow, you just never know!
This discussion has been closed.