Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

timing belt replacement?

124»

Comments

• Options
    siriusgirlsiriusgirl Member Posts: 23
    just had timing belt replaced in 1994 Acura Legend coupe. Dealer caused problem with hose while putting it all back together, and they had to re-do it all. Second, different hose wasn't reconnected well, now that's fixed. NEW PROBLEM - i'm hearing a rattle off and on while the engine is running - sounds like when the a/c is on, but happens even if a/c is off. Dealer said it's a bearing in the air compressor that got loosened with all the work they did, but they can't do anything about it now. Anybody had similar problems? Any ideas if they are right about what it is?
  • Options
    lahainalahaina Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Honda Accord EX w/ 59000 highway miles on it. Do I need to change the timing belt because it is a 1994 or can I wait until 90000.
  • Options
    baroberbarober Member Posts: 2
    Dear All,
    I have sent my Golf III Diesel (100,000 km) for routine check and fluid change at a local WV authorised garage. They give me back the vehicle saying that everything was in order. They just
    changed the motor oil and tightened the timing belt (aged of only 20,000 km only).

After 20 kilometers on a highway, I heard a freak sound and the car stopped. First diagnosis: the motor went out of phase; however, 5 days later and with the engine completely open, the
    same WV garage still can not tell me the cause of the breakdown. According to them, everything is still in order (belt, pulleys, and so on), except that the car went out of phase (alone?). I am afraid that they are not honest to me and trying to hide something. I have also heard that this is a common problem with the golf III series. Does anyone have an opinion or a suggestion for me ? Can I found some published article about this
    problem ?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    fatoufatou Member Posts: 2
    I have a '96 GEO Prizm with 86,000 miles on it and I don't know if the timing belt has been replaced. When do they suggest this is done for the year of car?
  • Options
    bamadavebamadave Member Posts: 1
    Our 1997 Toyota Camry (4-cyl) has 68,000 miles on it. I was looking through the Toyota website at the maintenance schedule for this car, and I don't see any point at which timing belt replacements are recommended except for "Special Operating Conditions" such as commercial driving. Am I missing something, or are the timing belts on the '97 Camrys reliable through 120K???
  • Options
    enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Don't push it that far. You won't suffer engine damage (unlike most Honda engines) if the belt breaks, but your car will be immobilized until it's repaired.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I have a '97 Camry and wondered the same thing about when to replace the timing belt under normal driving conditions. It turns out that in the '98 model year, Toyota upped the interval to 90K miles for replacing the belt under severe OR normal driving conditions. So, I'd conclude that in '97 models, it's safe to go to 90K miles, but I'll probably get mine replaced before that (I have 64K miles now).
  • Options
    brett18brett18 Member Posts: 9
    i hastily bought a 95 priizm about 6 mos ago , and since then i've been told its the same as a cavalier,then i was told its a geo which thats what the trunk says, then i was told its a chevy w/a isuzu or toyota ENGINE IS THIS CAR HAING AN IDENTITY crisis,it says geo prizm on the trunk and ithought thats what i bought, then i noticed the new prizms have a Chevy symbol, haow many different cars is this!!!???Brett thanks
  • Options
    Ok i just fond out for sure that my geo has a toyota motor?and my owners book calls for valve adjustment&camshafts timing belt.at 60k it has almost 90k and runs good still,n warranty i called the dealer and he quoted me 400+ on hoses 2 things that arent even broken, are these an important service? is this a longasting car hope so!!im 21 broke and a new daddy,wil it break down?thanks brett
  • Options
    does anybody know what a valve adjusment clearance requied at 60k all about,and the timing belt,the car has a little over 90k, and was never done to my knowledge, but the dealer wants almost $400 for those 2 things
    and he said if i dont get then done very soon i may as well start shopping for a new car,im not exactly attached to this little 4 banger but its been very reliable, im 21 ,broke, and a new daddy, 400 seems alot for normal maintnance any help thanks Brett
  • Options
    jessiemaijessiemai Member Posts: 17
    I finally had the timing belt replaced on my 95 Civic at 102K miles.

I asked to see the old belt, just for grins, and I was totally amazed. I thought being 12,000 miles overdue, the belt would be worn and ready to snap. BUT, it looked brand new. No cracks, even when we bent it back and forth. The mechanic was even shocked.

I guess Honda had good reason to change the recommended replacement interval from 60K to 90K.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    ...on my 1980 Volvo 240. The last time it was replaced was in 1990, 71,000 miles ago. I had the water pump replaced at the same time, because I got tired of having to add coolant to make up for a persistent leak through its weep hole.

I should have asked for the old belt back, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was no visible wear. I understand that timing belts don't crack like drive belts; they just break.
  • Options
    zzoom1zzoom1 Member Posts: 31
    Does anyone know whether the 2 litre zetec engine has a timing belt or a timing chain?
This discussion has been closed.