Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    http://youtu.be/zx_dTSPzXlk

Sensual, emotional. Curvaceous.

Oh, and the car is also cool. :D
  • Options
    xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Latest Ford commercial is with this guy who has done other Ford commercials. Here he is again wearing his cap. Inside a Ford dealership building obviously, with no sun or rain and wearing a stupid baseball cap. He is talking to a woman, who is not wearing a cap or hat. How dumb is that. The woman does not need a cap or hat but a guy, maybe a macho guy, needs a cap. A cap for what? So, maybe Ford can defend this by saying the guy was not wearing his cap backwards. The commercial loses legitimacy by a guy wearing a cap and disrespecting a woman. Is this guy bald and trying to protect his image while disrespecting women?
  • Options
    Mike Rowe?

Maybe you have to know who he is from his shows. Watch Dirty Jobs when you get a chance.
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    OK, we get it. You don't like caps.

He is talking to a woman, who is not wearing a cap or hat.

And this means what? I've seen few southern women wearing stetsons while shopping so by your logic men who are normally called southern gentlemen are in actuality disrespecting women. And those UK ladies were being rather disrespectful to the men during the royal wedding. (Edmunds, you need a rolls eyes emotorcon?)
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    edited February 2013
    Gotta echo a comment there - if I was in one of those I might want a mask, too :shades:

Saw the "look at that new Toyota!" ad last night, it was one specifically for the Corolla. Look at that black trim hubcapped rental spec Toyota! Nobody gets excited and points at one of those, and nobody who buys one wants anyone to react like that.

Some of the Presidents Day sale commercials have been lame (Ford), but the Honda gives me an odd laugh.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    Saw the "look at that new Toyota!" ad last night, it was one specifically for the Corolla. Look at that black trim hubcapped rental spec Toyota! Nobody gets excited and points at one of those, and nobody who buys one wants anyone to react like that.

It reminds me of an ad for the previous generation Focus where the ditzy female owner said that she liked it because it was "sleek and sporty."
    Compared to what? A Daewoo Nubria?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    hubcapped rental spec

Saw a VW Golf with plastic wheels covers - come on, VW.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel? :sick:

Of course, look how Jetta sales exploded. Americans love cheap cars.
  • Options
    Or the Camry that has things guys like, you know, like "rims" :shades:

Saw that Toyota ad again last night, too. Trying to blow out the Corolla now that a new one is finally coming, I think. Also tons of MB ads on Velocity.
  • Options
    Yep, the loss leader screamer ad Jetta will have hubcaps too. I'd rather have a bare painted steel wheel.
  • Options
    My '98 Forester came with styled steel wheels. They actually looked decent.

Replaced them with a Plus One set when the tires were worn, even sold the steelies and got $100.
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/4aVrQ2LV-Jg

Good one. Chrysler's on a roll.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    please tell Honda that President's day is over. If I have to hear that commercial with Abe and George singing one more time I might go insane.

Oh, take that annoying Chevy guy with them ("Equinox, the vehicle of change?" I think not).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    And Malibu "Tomorrow's Car, Today", reminds me of this:

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    you do like BTTF don't you?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I've seen it a few times...a few hundred times. I take no shame in saying I can recite the films line by line while watching :shades:

Actually, there are several 80s movies I know very well, but that one is certainly among the tpos.

This year's vacation plan/dream is to visit the BTTF filming locations.
  • Options
    Latest commercial by VW has a young woman laughing obnoxiously and mentioning polka music. How offensive is that to German Americans and other ethnics with roots in European countries that enjoy that style of music. A SMART company SHOULD be politically correct (PC) and not offend those who might enjoy a particular style of music.

Even though GM was incredibly mismanaged and went BANKRUPT, never recall that they offended people for their like of a particular style of music.

Shame on VW.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Really??

The joke isn't about polka music - it's about her nasally laugh that was brought on by the suggestion of polka music that the poor guy has to deal with for the next 600 miles due to the efficient TDI.
  • Options
    I want an eyeroll emotorcon. I have to believe someone is just playing with us. I sure hope so.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Didn't one of the fancier developments in Hill Valley turn into a ghetto in "Back to the Future II?" It's been years since I've seen any of the BTTF movies. Scary to think the year 2015 which was portrayed in BTTF II is right around the corner!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    That would be Hilldale, "The address of success" (shown here in 2015 with vandalism)

2015 is near, still no hoverboards, hovercars, automatic shoes, down to the minute weather forecasts, commercials for hover conversions depicting Edsels with a low price of "39,999.95", etc.
  • Options
    Reminds me of John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.
  • Options
    Another dumb commercial from VW following the one with a laughing woman and the disparagement of polkas.

This one has a guy in a store wearing a ski mask-cap. He leaves the store and joins 2 other guys in a VW convertible also wearing masks.

Absolutely mindless, no point. Insensitive to recent national concerns on violence and crime.
  • Options
    You are joking, right? This can't be real.
  • Options
    It's for real! I saw it last night. If somebody comes into a store in my 'hood wearing a ski mask, he's gonna catch a bad break!
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/3fuijhUn0pk

They're trying too hard.
  • Options
    I meant the reaction to the ad :shades:

Wearing a mask while in a Beetle convertible might be the only option for some.

But yeah...mask, store, 2013 America, not a good idea.
  • Options
    But yeah...mask, store, 2013 America, not a good idea.

Top Management of VW of A ought to be reviewing their ad agency and/or whoever approved the ski mask stunt. Might also look at commercial dissing polkas.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't think polka fans are a very large demographic. ;)

And both of them aren't shopping for VWs anyway.
  • Options
    Yeah, those 7 80+ year old Frankie Yankovic fans (all in eastern PA) probably aren't going to impact VW USA sales much :shades:

The other ad is iffy, but if anything, it flies in the face of the 110% paranoia we operate in, and that's not bad
  • Options
    Heck they used to work for VW and then the plant closed, so both of those guys swore off VW a while ago.

Mask ad was just dumb. You don't take risks unless the punch line gets a good laugh, and that doesn't.
  • Options
    I suspect the mask ad and the laugh ad won't be aired for much longer.

On the ad note, still seeing "look at that new Toyota!" on TV here.
  • Options
    Local ads don't count. Dealers do the absolute silliest stuff.
  • Options
    I think it might be the regional Toyota corporate group - the dumb ad doesn't mention specific dealers.

There's a similar regional Honda ad with kind of whistling music in the background, I loathe that too.
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    VW ha been doing edgy commercials for some tie now.

Anyone remember the one shortly after 9/11 with the terrorist setting off the bomb outside a building while sitting in, I think, a Polo?

The blast is contained by the car, and the car is so soundproofed that no one outside barely hears the explosion.

http://youtu.be/HnL-7x4n4d8
  • Options
    That was far worse than the mask one. Who approves this stuff?
  • Options
    Did you read the video page?

"This is not an official Commercial."

:P

On the fake commercial subject...
  • Options
    I was curious how long it would take before someone caught that it was a bogus commercial...

Still, I remember seeing that commercial on a TV show that compiled the "World's Funniest Commercials" a few years back, so it even "snowed" the producers of that show. It does look professional.

Some of these commercials are so well done that they look professional, and can have a severe impact upon a manufacturer through no fault of their own..
  • Options
    I don't think polka fans are a very large demographic.

Why should that matter if large or small demographic. It was highly disrespectful.

Can anyone imagine the outcry, and legitimate, if a car company commercial disrespected native American melodies or music. Or, music of Americans of middle east heritage.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    There is a key thing to relaxed living - nobody has a right to not be offended. If a commercial for a car I don't particularly want ridiculed the music I like, I wouldn't get upset. The world needs thicker skin.
  • Options
    If a commercial for a car I don't particularly want ridiculed the music I like, I wouldn't get upset.

OK. So, go ahead and name car commercials of the last few years, or last FEW DECADES, that ridiculed the music of ethnic groups in our nation.
  • Options
    Can't think of one, but as nobody implied there were others, I don't see how it matters. I sincerely doubt it offends any actual Germans or Poles etc.

If it is that irksome to you, write them a letter, tell them you won't buy that car you were never going to buy anyway, that should scare some sense into them :P
  • Options
    Should PETA object to the Kia commercials that have hamsters driving cars them?

There's always someone with thin skin looking for an excuse to be offended by something.
  • Options
    There are a bunch of mothers upset that a Geico commercial showing a pig and a girl on a date condones bestiality.
  • Options
    That's "One Million Moms".

I wonder if they boycotted Disney for Beauty and the Beast??
  • Options
    I wonder if they boycotted Disney for Beauty and the Beast??

Check out the link below. As I said earlier, if someone wants to be offended, they can always find a way, even in a Disney animation cartoon...

http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38777
  • Options
    How is VW not taking that down? They're using their name and logo...
  • Options
    According to snopes, the ad was made by a couple of free lancers for their show reel. It was never supposed to have been released. VW has started legal proceedings against the duo but have not been able to find them.
  • Options
    Seems like a fairly simple request to YouTube would take it down, they violate all sorts of copyright laws.