Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    It's a commercial. Some people seem to take them maybe too seriously. I would suggest some people distinguish actors from people ;)
  • Options
    jjjaymmmanjjjaymmman Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    This comment you made, although it may have not been your intent, may be considered as offensive and disrespectful.

Even if farmers only make up 2 or 8 percent (as you defined as typical) of the American population, why exclude them as "real" Americans. Walk a mile in their shoes before making this statement. You did not say "most" Americans were being represented. Please use caution is all I'm asking and here is why this touched a nerve:

One very dear friend of mine was raised on a cattle farm in Montana and another in Colorado. Both were treated with full military honors upon their return home with a "real" American flag draped over their caskets. Both of them joined the military following the attack on "real" Americans, September 11, 2001. They were two farm raised country boy "real" Americans fighting for their homeland.

Sorry, and I'm sure this may not have been your intent, but please use caution.

Thank you very much for your patriotism and God bless.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    I think you're missing the point. The idea of the family farm died years ago and the guy running the hardware store in a little town is no less "real" or patriotic than my uncle the dairy farmer was.

I know both types, but the "farmer" is subsidized and not allowed to fail while the hardware store owner is. I buy hamburger from a WWII veteran who's entitled to subsidies and loans and extension help, while my hardware store guy got foreclosed on when the jobs left my area. Both are great guys, but I don't revere one more than the other.

Another uncle raises beef down in S. MS and he's the biggest jerk you ever met.
  • Options
    xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    The idea of the family farm died years ago

What do you base that on? Do you live near farmers and talk to them? Have you gone to county fairs over the years, seen the children and their parents in various competitions? Taken the time to talk to them?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Like I say, I buy hamburger from a guy while looking out the window at his cows. Buy chicken and pork from a local farm. I went to the county fair last August.

But these folks aren't any more "real" or "patriotic" than the people wrenching or selling nuts and bolts. Maybe I feel that way because I do know a few ranchers and farmers and am related to some.

Most "farmers" are just corporate just as most hardware stores are Lowes or Home Depot so I'm not buying the commercials trying to tug at my heartstrings that way. Even lots of "little" guys are just under contract to corporations.

And that's the rest of the story.
  • Options
    I swear I heard a Toyota commercial claiming the RAV4 is the "first small SUV". Ummm.... :confuse:
  • Options
    jjjaymmmanjjjaymmman Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    Steve it was not your comment I was referring to about defining and excluding farmers as real Americans. It was kyfdx's comment. Maybe if he said most versus real Americans I would not have had the same feeling. Either way, the post below implies that farmers were being excluded as representing "real" Americans. This was painful as I explained in post #6911, although it may not have been his intent.

#6894 of 6915 Re: Best Super Bowl Ad - God Made a Farmer and Dodge Ram [xrunner2] by kyfdx HOST
    Feb 04, 2013 (7:34 pm)
    Replying to: xrunner2 (Feb 04, 2013 5:45 pm)
    Real Americans?
    How many people are making a living as farmers? The typical American hasn't been a farmer since Paul Harvey was a boy.
    Nostalgia might sell, but they sure weren't representing "real" Americans.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    It's my post, not Steve's...

You'll notice "real" is in quotes... My post was a commentary on the commercial being completely out of date.... not on farmers in general..

My grandfather was a farmer, my father-in-law was a farmer, my brother-in-law thought he was a farmer (until he blew all of my father-in-laws money).. ad nauseum.

Offensive is in the eye of the beholder... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I knew who you were responding to. We're a conversation based board and anyone can reply to anyone here. And I didn't agree with your "real" comments because to me, you made it sound like farmers deserve to be put on a pedestal just because they work the land. That doesn't make sense to me any more than intimating that someone is a born liar and crook just because they sells cars.

I guess the ad worked; we're talking about it.
  • Options
    "Mercedes-Benz continues to reap the benefits of its 2013 Super Bowl commercial, with Edmunds reporting that the 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class was the number one considered model on its Web site on Super Bowl Sunday and Monday."

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA Super Bowl Ad Has Staying Power
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I swear I heard a Toyota commercial claiming the RAV4 is the "first small SUV". Ummm....

It was the first compact crossover SUV introduced into the marketplace. It went on sale in Japan and Europe in 1994. The CR-V came out in 1995.

Yes there were other small SUV's but none were crossovers.
  • Options
    I don't recall the ad using the term "crossover".
  • Options
    Well without the ad, we'll have to both be 1/2 right.
  • Options
    Why would you be right? Playing devils advocate defending Toyota? :confuse: :shades:

I recall an old ad claiming the Lexus RX was first at something too.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Jeep (non-Grand) Cherokee and Kia Sportage were out sooner, but those were trucky and inefficient.

RAV4 did create the small crossover segment, and if you look the whole world has copied that formula, even German lux brands now. You can't not have a small crossover.

Some where deep inside every Q5 has the soul of that original RAV4.

I'm kidding, of course. :D

I'd be curious to see that ad. It's kind of like Chrysler saying they invented the minivan, even though the VW Bus existing long before.

They just took it mainstream.
  • Options
    RX was first to earn the plastic surgeon's "OK to ride home in it after lipo" award for its isolated ride.

That's another joke. ;)
  • Options
    Why would you be right? Playing devils advocate defending Toyota?

Nah - just playing devil's advocate PERIOD.

Just wanted to make sure one understands that saying one once saw something that says something doesn't make it fact.
  • Options
    No, that's pretty factual :shades:

I'll have to keep an ear out for the ad. I am pretty sure the cruddy S-10 Blazer my dad had existed before the RAV4. Not a crossover of course, but if that word wasn't spoken...
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't know that was your duty. Reading comprehension might show you I didn't say anything was "fact" :sick: ...my original post expressed at least a sliver of uncertainty.
  • Options
    You sure they didn't say "crossover SUV"? That term is thrown around a lot.

There was nothing car-like about the Cherokee, Sportage, or S10. Or Explorer Sport/Mazda Navajo for that matter.

Like it or not, it did create an entirely new segment. Of course the pioneer rarely gets the glory - Honda followed a year later with the CR-V and it's the sales champ.
  • Options
    I don't recall "crossover", but I wasn't at the edge of my seat for a Toyota commercial. I'll keep an ear out, though.

How car like is the first kind of roly-poly RAV or CRV though, really? Almost seem like small JDM trucks than real cars.
  • Options
    They weren't sportier than the Cherokee and Sportage, they were more comfortable, liveable.

Back then the trucks has buckboard rides and your head tossed side to side. You tolerated that to get 4WD and a wagon body, but there was much room for improvement.

They also weren't meant for off roading, but you could run over a speed bump and not spill your coffee. Or get around in the snow.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Maybe they were the first unibody SUV?

Nah.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    this is what you really meant. Can't find the original though that this is a spoof of (spoof of a spoof?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86iWghLlxs

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Shoot, I'd say the first small SUV goes back even further to the original Ford Bronco, the International Scout, or even Toyota's own original Land Cruiser.
  • Options
    Subaru had a raised AWD wagon in 1972, also.

But...RAV4 started the car-like trend. Before that, everything was rough and tumble, which is fine. It's just not what suburbia wanted.
  • Options
    The Japanese did do that thing, making tall wagons that were car like, but pretend butch to appeal to suburbanites - as opposed to their earlier simple tall wagons that didn't pretend. We know which are cooler, and sadly, which sold better. Don't know if I can call them SUVs.
  • Options
    xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Don't know if I can call them SUVs.

Could say that about usage of vast majority or more of so-called "SUVs". What amount of time in the year are these vehicles actually used for "sport"? Is sport going to work? Or going shopping to food store or big box store? Going to place of worship? Going to a friend's house? Or taking the kids somewhere? Going to a restaurant?

Maybe they are considered sport when taking kids to a soccer game. Or putting golf clubs in back and going to golf course. But, if you use a car to take kids to soccer game or going to golf course with clubs in trunk, is your car then a Sport-car, or Sportscar?

Maybe "UV" is more accurate for so-called SUVs.
  • Options
    Plus, when was the last time you saw a Q5 or X1 in Moab?

Sport is what you play when you arrive at the soccer field.
  • Options
    It might be the pretense of sport. See it a lot here in the PNW - someone who walks up Cougar Mountain in June once a year is a rough and tumble outdoorsman, someone who last went skiing in 1993 still keeps a rack on their car all year, and so on. The S in SUV caters to this, image trumps all. It's certainly not sporty handling.

Even the "utility" can be sketchy, as they often hold less than a wagon. But I guess they are a vehicle, 1 out of 3 is still good in some professions. :shades:
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Back in the day, SUV owners were hunters, fishermen, or outdoorsmen. Their vehicles were spartan, filthy with mud and debris and had lots of battle damage, and were often seen towing a boat, sporting gun racks, or carrying camping gear. It was a stark contract to the plush vehicles driven by trophy Stepford wife soccer mommies to Whole Foods or Pottery Barn.
  • Options
    They drive pickups nowadays.
  • Options
    Saw the RAV4 ad last night, and I quote: "First small SUV". Uh huh.

Another dumb (possibly local, it looks cheaply made) Toyota theme has hit the air here, too. Random people walk by a new blandbox (Prius, fleet spec Corolla) and exclaim "Look at that new Toyota!" I mean, really. At least show an Avalon or something.
  • Options
    That RAV4 ad has gotta be local, too.

Not the first time the marketing team knows nothing about cars.

There's an ambulance chaser locally asking, "Have you suffered heart attack, stroke, or death?"

Whispering... they see dead people.
  • Options
    Saw the RAV4 ad last night, and I quote: "First small SUV". Uh huh.

Does it show the 2014? Could you give the premise of the ad?
  • Options
    No real premise. Doesn't show the new one. It is just mentioning the goodness of the vehicle, as if people haven't heard of it before. It could be local for all I know, it's not a national (grounded to the ground, dorky families, etc) spot, I am sure.
  • Options
    That could be it. Local ads nowadays don't always appear to have been shot with a 1984 model camcorder. "Look at that new Toyota!".. will have to monitor youtube for these ads.
  • Options
    When the creative folks take over you end up with models flying away and crazy stuff like that. ;)
  • Options
    Or a Prius that drives by and makes flowers bloom. Oh how that one brought out my cynicism.
  • Options
    Not much merit in any advertising. Who sponsors fashion week again? Style beats substance every time.
  • Options
    I'd say even a boring C-class has more style than a Prius does flower making power ;)
  • Options
    At least if you cruise in EV mode you're not harming the flowers.
  • Options
    At least not here, but the thing isn't exactly made out of renewable resources.
  • Options
    Funny thing is, they are.

I was critical of the Prius C interior and the salesman gave me the whole recycled-materials-used spiel. I felt like saying they should use new and unused stuff. ;)

Here comes the Hang Over - now I'm getting those follow-up calls, "So, when are you going to come in to buy a car?" The Hyundai guy doesn't even remember I want the pano without the leather/huge rims. :sick:
  • Options
    Not the propulsion system, etc.

Never give your number, just your email. That will suffice for them, and you can filter out the nagging.
  • Options
    Caller ID works wonders. I just have to be on guard.
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/cvjgZWZoeWg

This is almost 4 seperate ads.

The Volt one feels Prius-ish.

Spark matching colors is neat, but I'm not sure where all the shopping comes from. Maybe they shop too much so a Spark is all they can afford to drive?

Sonic and skate board connection comes from the Rob Dyrdek barrel roll.

Corvette part is cool.

Impala has a Bond-ish guy but it goes by quick.

A little all over the place? What do you guys think?
  • Options
    One of those "free" numbers works good for that. I have a GrandCentral* number that rings and if the caller doesn't announce, it goes to voice mail. Or I can just dump 'em to voice mail.

(*number still works okay in spite of Google buying them; no ads yet but they probably track everything).
  • Options
    Yeah, I have Google Voice and I can do that as well.

With one call so far I'm not too worried.