Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G37

Comments

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    It would be even better to lead a REAL life and not worry about crap like this

Agreed, but for $70-100/month, I want better quality reception than the Pre gives. Besides, I use the phone professionally a lot in the car, not to just chit chat and I need to hear more than every other word. I too liked the phone itself.

If you do decide to return it let me know and I will not torment you by advising you when the next software mod comes down the line and fixes the problem.

I turned it in today and went back to the iPhone. I did like Sprint's network and value much more compared to AT&T.
  • Options
    rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    I know the owners manual does not recommend the use of the lighter for powering things like radar detectors, etc but has anyone had any experience with doing so?
    I just thought I would check before trying it and blowing my car up.
  • Options
    joj2joj2 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone noticed that the steering wheel on G37X exhibits slight play and does not lock in place securely? It will have to be pushed down to lock it in place.
  • Options
    It will be wise if you install the same diameter as the one originally installed because if you install a different diameter the TPMS will have to be calibrated and it will cost you a lot of money to do it twice a year.
  • Options
    604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    The original post was about a year ago, so he's probably gone.

But, don't TPMS sensors read air pressure? If so, what difference does wheel diameter make? Just wondering.
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Yes, the current ones use air pressure, so the diameter of the tire should make no difference (though it will throw off the speedometer).

Many of the first gen TPMSs detected low tire pressure by comparing the slightly different wheel rotation rates between a normally inflated tire and one that was underinflated.
  • Options
    604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    Interesting. Thanks!
  • Options
    southflasouthfla Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a G37S, love everything about the car except that the steering feels loose, in fact much looser than on the old G35. Is there any way to tighten the steering feel. I found it a little scary that at high speeds it does not offer the same road feel / connection. If anyone else fixed this please let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    If you have an electric steering wheel check the steering wheel for slight play after it adjusted. If it does have it you can lock it securely by pushing it down.
  • Options
    I have absolutely no play in the steering in my G37S.
  • Options
    hollandoghollandog Member Posts: 36
    I feel the same. I test drove a G37x coupe and the steering was really "light/loose".
    Also the road noise insulation was not as good as I expected.
  • Options
    addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    When your use to a FWD and drive a RWD car it's going to feel different. It's going to feel like Right Wheel Drive instead of Wrong Wheel Drive.
  • Options
    goldstein81goldstein81 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone comment on how much better the Bose system is vs the non-upgraded version?
  • Options
    All I know is the Bose system isn't that great. I think it's tinny in sound quality. It doesn't compare to the standard system in Lexuses much less the upgraded ML.

Bottom line, listen for yourself.
  • Options
    I am perfectly happy with the Bose, though I am coming from an '87 BMW and '92 Sentra SE-R as my other rides. While the BMW was upgraded to a Sony some 8 years ago, the Sentra still has the original radio and tape player (yes, a tape). So, anything is big step up from those, and I would probably have been perfectly satisfied with the standard sound system. Also, I'm not in the car that much on a daily basis - my commute only being 8 highway miles. Maybe if I was on the road an hour+ more one way, I would care more.

Then again, I was not buying a living room-on-wheels. I wanted a good handling, RWD sedan. The sound system was way down on the priority list.
  • Options
    addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    Then a G37 with the Bose will fit you just fine.
  • Options
    sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    All I know is the Bose system isn't that great. I think it's tinny in sound quality. It doesn't compare to the standard system in Lexuses much less the upgraded ML.

Bottom line, listen for yourself.

I have to completely disagree with this. I had an IS250 with the base audio system. Lets get this out of the way first, that system was great in all respects. Now here is where we differ, it is in no way, shape or form better than the Infiniti Bose system. I have the 08 G35 which is the same as whats on the G37s. I had some experience with the Lexus ML system and that system takes the game to a whole new level.

And to answer the original question, the base system on the Gs is crap, I have listened to it in the loaners and I probably would have taken the car back if I had made the mistake of not getting the Studio on Wheels.
  • Options
    It's all subjective which is why I said "listen for yourself".
  • Options
    littlejoe613littlejoe613 Member Posts: 53
    I drive an 09 with the Studio on wheels and like the sound system very much. It is not the boom box style but very crisp and clear. Very little if not any distortion even at high volume. Good sound separation even on music downloaded to the hard drive.
  • Options
    To my ears the sound systems in Lexuses and the Harman-Kardon's in Mercedes and BMW's is far superior. Having owned both, there is more sound separation, better bass, and more dimensional sound to my ears, with the latter systems.
  • Options
    texas2685texas2685 Member Posts: 21
    I don't know if this is the correct forum to addess the following defect. If not, would you please direct me to the proper place. If so, I'd appreciate any and all input. I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. Here's the story:

We picked up our brand new G37 sedan out of town (with 52 miles on it) and drove the 300 miles home. By the next day, the car started dying when we came to a stop. At first, the problem didn't happen every time we slowed down, and putting the car in neutral when it began to fail prevented the stall. And my husband thought (hoped) it might be something that would abate. Unfortunately, by the next day, the problem hadn't improved, and the check engine light went on.

Of course, we took it to the local dealer, and with Infiniti, they determined the torque converter was locking, and the car needed a new transmission/drive train! This is our 3rd Infiniti, and we've never had any mechanical problems with the others. The warranty repair cost thus far stands at a minimum of $11,000 (retail would be $16K+). In light of how significant the problem, I want Infiniti to replace. Their Consumer Assistance department has turned it in for review, but told me they'd only checks if it qualifies for applicable lemon laws. I don't think it will due to this being the first occurrence. In this review, they admitted they won't consider loyalty or the magnitude of the problem, so I'm not optimistic - just frustrated - and mad.

First, I'm curious if anyone else has experience any similar mechanical problems. Second, anyone ever request a vehicle replacement? Finally, any suggestions for more effective dealing with the situation.

Thanks for any assistance!
  • Options
    Check to see in your state if there are any laws about new car delivery/ownership and return policy within the first 72 hrs. to 30 days on defective cars. I don't think traditional lemon law criteria would apply to a brand new, low mileage car in the first days of ownership.
  • Options
    dclawdclaw Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Infiniti G37xS in July. Starting December 30, 2009, we started to have problems. It would stall when I tried to accelerate. It was in the shop from Dec 30 to Jan 11 - yesterday. Well, I drove it today to work and when I drove it home it did what you described. It shut down when I stopped at my garage. I am thinking I want my car replaced because a new car should not be in the shop for 12 days at a time and breakdown again 24 hours later.

Infiniti should know that all my friends and coworkers are asking me, what happened to your new, beautiful car? I don't think they'll be buying Infinitis....

I'd be glad to discuss this with you further, texas, let me know. It is important that we document this problem so that we get just compensation.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge sooner, but I've been in the midst of a move - in addition to the car trouble. Texas has a "buyers' remorse" law - effective anytime within the first 3 days. Since we didn't try to "return" the vehicle during that timeframe, I'm not sure if we'd have recourse on that level. I agree the lemon law shouldn't apply to a brand new, low mileage car, but Infiniti's still maintaining it does. However, after reading your response, I'm going to call the State AG's office to see if they have any further advice. Thanks again!
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your similar situation dclaw! I was supposed to hear the "review" response Monday. They called - but only to tell me my case was being submitted that day, claiming they couldn't review before the repairs had been completed and the paperwork received. Obviously, this wasn't what I'd been told originally. Now, it will be another week before I hear their decision. Again, based solely on the Texas lemon law, I'm not optimistic about the result. I argued profusely this doesn't have to be - and shouldn't be a "lemon law" review. Owner loyalty (my 3rd Infiniti), problem magnitude, and timing of this occurrence should more than justify my request! Of course, they don't agree. The consultant even suggested if I weren't satisfied, I could contact the dealer to see if they'd like to work out a trade!?!?!

I still want to believe our situations are the rare exceptions to an otherwise good car and should be rectified by replacement of the vehicles. If I'm not breaking any forum rules, I'd be happy to discuss with you further offline. My email address is lzrichardson@satx.rr.com.
  • Options
    car_stuffcar_stuff Member Posts: 3
    Hi Texas. Sorry to hear about your problems - I think I may be heading down the same path.

My wife bought a G37x Sedan on December 31, 2009. after about 400 miles, the check engine light came on. When we brought it into the shop, we were told that the code that had caused the light to come (P0477 Torque Converter) on had never been reported on this vehicle before. They ran diagnostics on the vehicle for the next seven days and had a special technical rep 'flown in to take a look at it'. They came up empty, so they shut the light off and told us it was just a 'glitch' and to keep an eye on it. We got the car back on Friday, 01/15. Over the next 2 days, we noticed odd sensations from the transmission (lurching, 'resistance' and vibration when slowing to a stop), and today, it stalled while I was slowing to a stop. I restarted it, and it stalled again immediately. We are bringing it back in to the dealership tomorrow, but I'm becoming pessimistic.

Do you happen to know the code that your car reported when the check engine light came on? If it's the same code I got, it could prove to be useful in dealing with Infiniti.

I am in Maryland; if you are interested in sharing information as we go through our similar processes, we may be able to help each other along.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes, Car_Stuff, that's the same code! Interesting both cars were purchased in December (ours the 19th), and in each case, the problem started after 350 - 400 miles. I was told P0477 indicates a substantial transmission problem, so I'm very surprised they simply opted to turn off your light. Apparently, the transmission is a closed unit, and they can't just repair the torque converter. According to our service manager, when the torque converter sticks/malfunctions, the entire system has to be replaced. (This was the $11K repair ours required.)

Let's definitely keep each other posted.
  • Options
    The service engine light came on this morning while I was on the way to the dealership, and it started lurching and stalling again. I'm sitting at the dealership right now - they are swapping out our car for a new one! We were told it's a dealership decision, so it can definitely be done. Our dealership is JBA Infiniti in Ellicott City, MD, and they have been really great to work with. I agree with you about the 'coincidences' of sales date and mileage - very suspicious. Our issue is now resolved, but I'll be happy to be a resource for you until you get resolution on your issue. Please keep me posted on your progress!
  • Options
    Congrats on better "luck" than we've had. I'm sorry you had the same experience but very happy to hear your dealership is working with you and providing a new car! I just responded to your email, but most of that content is now moot.

Due to pricing, we get our vehicles in Dallas but have them serviced in San Antonio (home). It's possible, at least thus far, this has adversely affected us; however, once I have Infiniti's official ruling (assuming it's negative), I will pursue options with the Dallas dealership.

Thanks for your offer to be a resource in this endeavor; we'll probably take you up on this.
  • Options
    While I have had no problems with my G37S (bought October '09, currently with 1,250 miles on it), I wanted to let you know that I also bought mine from JBA Infiniti. Good to hear that your experiences with JBA service have been positive.

FWIW, I do not think the date of sales has anything to do with your and dtexas2685's problems. Date of manufacture - may yes.
  • Options
    brenn210brenn210 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I just wanted to know if anyone is having the same issue, also if what I'm gonna describe below is a normal thing.
    Basically, I bought a 2009 G37 Journey last November and noticed the past month that at first start, not necessarily in the morning, when I start to drive then get to a stop sign, if I stop completely let go of the brake and then step on the gas it seems like the car hesitates for a second and then jerks before it goes. It feels like if you were to put a car on neutral then step on the gas and put it on drive, it jerks back. It will do this about 3 times at 3 different stops and it's fine after that.
    I've tried letting it warm up for 5 minutes, but it still did it after. I've taken it to be checked by the dealer and they did diagnostics and found nothing. No engine light is on or anything, but I just do not want this to become a bigger problem in the future.
    Has anyone experienced this same issue? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
  • Options
    berny32berny32 Member Posts: 1
    After getting up to speed in local traffic, say 30 mph, and getting off the accelerator as I see a stop sign or red light up ahead, the car slows down considerably, almost like I switched it to low gear. My Lexus RX300 maintains most of its speed for far longer than my new G37x when not pressing the gas pedal. Is this normal for the G37x or do I have some sort of problem?
    Also, after driving the car for an hour or two (local and highway combined, about 50 miles total often in NY traffic), when I shut and get out of the car, I smell a faint smell of burning rubber coming from the front end. Where is this coming from? If this happened once i would have assumed the tires but its happened several times over the last two months. Tires or something else? Any ideas?
    I'll have the dealer check out both issues at my next oil change but wondering if anyone with more car knowlwdge than me has any ideas. Thank for the responses.
  • Options
    As you'll see from my previous posts, I received a new transmission after having the car less than 1 wk. I'm not pleased with the the way the car handles now and firmly believe there's a problem with some of these vehicles. We took ours back last week due to the jerking and even lurching in lower gears. We find the same problem you describe - as well as when slowing down by taking your foot off the gas - and when upshifting and downshifting in these lower gears. Yes, we have an automatic that feels more like a manual transmission! I've had other Infinitis, and one of the things I've always enjoyed is the powerful way the vehicles handle - this is different! After 2 days in the shop, we, too, were told nothing could be done, since the diagnostics didn't find anything + no engine lights. I keep hearing how Infiniti hasn't notified the dealers of any problems, and in fact, denies any. I'm know the dealer thinks I'm just complaining, since Infiniti wouldn't "re-purchase" and replace mine. However, that's the furthest thing from true. I wish I were happy with this car and that I believed it handled properly. Aside from the useless annoyance, it's inconvenient to take a vehicle to the shop! Believe it or not, I was even told I could call Infiniti's Consumer Affairs Dept. to see if they wanted to write a custom program for the car to drive smoother!! UGH! I DO understand the transmission is a completely sealed unit (thus the reason ours had to be replaced), and nowadays, computers are used in diagnostics and maintenance. But, humans are still involved! And several humans who have driven my car don't think it handles well. So, after all my venting, I can commiserate and tell you I don't think your issues are normal. However, I'm sorry to say I don't have any answers or suggestions.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I had similar problems to what you described within a week of purchasing a new G37x, and it got progressively worse (Service Engine light, stalling) - please see my earlier posts for more details. The one thing that made my experience easier than some of the other posters on this site is that we had an absolutely GREAT dealer (JBA Infiniti in Ellicott City, MD). They tried to diagnose/recreate the problem for over a week without success, and eventually just shut off the Service Engine light when they couldn't find anything. But when the problem started happening again, they simply replaced the car with a new one. Clearly this dealer values their reputation and customer loyalty. So far, the new car hasn't acted up, but if it does, I'll post it here. One thing that does seem to be a common thread on the similar posts is that the problems seem to be occuring in the winter months. Maybe just a red herring, but I wonder if there is a defect that is exacerbated by cold, snow or rain. Let me know if you need any additional details.
  • Options
    atjl26atjl26 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having trouble with the transmission in my 2009 G37 coupe similar to those above. In the low gears, the car is very jerky. The shifts are very hard. I also have noticed the problem mentioned above where when I let off the gas the car slows down like I am hitting the brake. Then, as it slows, around 20 MPH, it drags you down so much that it is impossible to stop the car smoothly. It feels like it is stopping itself. It is maddening to drive. What's worse is that after having a G35 over 3 years, and "upgrading" to the G37, the service has never been worse!! The first dealer I took it to in Shreveport, LA said it had no codes so they wouldn't even look at it, period. I took it to Jackson. MS where they at least looked at the car and then told me they re-programmed it. Both times, I was left with no loaner. In MS, I was 120 miles from home and literally had to call friends to pick me up and take me so far to meet another friend and so on. They didn't give me a loaner and basically I was on my own. Then I had to bum rides to work for a week. I can not believe I spent $40K on a car to have to bum rides! AMAZING!!! Is this the service you would expect from Infiniti??? They have taken a customer who had a 2006 G35 and LOVED it and turned me into someone who hates the car and will NEVER own another Infiniti. I have requested they buy it back but so far have gotten no response. What is so bad is that I chose this car over a BMW for the tech features (basically more features, less money) and my previous experience with Infiniti and I have never stopped regretting it!! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Options
    wcc1968wcc1968 Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2010
    Wow, i hate you guys had that experience. Is the problem strictly limited to mfg date?? If so, what is the date range?

This transmission deal does nothing to help my decision making. Ive owned 2 BMWs previously. The G37 seems like a perfect car for me at this point. Nice performance, along with nice tech features like you mentioned at a lower price than the 335. Also with the 335, the pump issues scare me. So, i looked at the 328's today. It just seems to have a lot less room to me, not as comfortable, and to be honest it seems to lag behind with tech features. Yes, i know the BMW is a driving machine, but when you are in the car a lot traveling for work, some of those features are appealing. If it was strictly for fun i might not care about the features as much.

That being said, if this trans problem is widespread, i dont want to deal with that. Of course, Infiniti sales people say they havent heard of the problem, and the BMW people told me they havent heard of the pump problem on the 335.

Going to drive a 328 Saturday. I hope it has enough "zip" to satisfy, but im just not sure the size is gonna work.

Is it time to look at a Lexus? barf
  • Options
    georged98georged98 Member Posts: 34
    Bought a new 2009 G37 Journey Sedan with Premium package.
    Finance guy tried to sell me a maintenance contract stating that the new G37 requires some kind of "Ester Oil" and that I would have to bring the car to the dealership to have it changed.
    Ever here of something like this???

Thanks.
  • Options
    jakk100jakk100 Member Posts: 7
    If you look on the internet it is a hot topic. Most owners have heard of it. I have a 2008 G37S. The 2008 owner’s manual does not state Nissan oil as mandatory like the transmission fluid. I’ve heard the 2009 does make the ester oil mandatory. Ester is a property in the oil. Some oils have more ester, some have very little. Ester oils are more expensive than Mobil. I am using ‘Redline’ brand synthetic oil as it states it has ester in it, at about $8.40 a quart. Most auto parts store don’t carry any oil with ester in it.
  • Options
    aed1aed1 Member Posts: 3
    just bought an 09 (G37s Coupe) and my steering feels loose just as you described. My 04 was super tight. Were they able to do anything to yours?
  • Options
    civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    When we bought our new G37 a couple of weeks ago, dealer recommends to have the first oil change done at about 1000 miles ("to replace the break-in oil"). However, owner's manual seems to suggest the first change should be at 3000 miles or 3 months. I typically follow the owner's manual. Just want to hear opinions from the others. Thanks.
  • Options
    On my 2009 G37, the first oil change was done at 6 months & ~3000 miles, free by the dealer.

I don't think Infinity uses a break-in oil.
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    edited July 2010
    I would think that owner's manual is on the conservative side, so it is safe to follow the factory recommended interval. I had my first oil change done with synthetic ester oil right before hitting 4,000 miles when it was less than 3 months old. I plan to charge the oil every 6,000 miles.
  • Options
    billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Here is what the maintenance manual says about the frequency of oil changes for the 2010 model. Failure to follow this will void the warranty, so I don't really think this is a matter of opinion. Most of us drive under Schedule 1 conditions:

SCHEDULE 1 (more severe operating conditions), every 3,750 miles or 3 months,
    whichever comes first.
    Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your vehicle under any of these conditions:
    • Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures
    • Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or lowspeed driving for long distances
    • Driving in dusty conditions or on rough, muddy, or salt-spread roads
    • Towing a trailer, or using a camper or car-top carrier

SCHEDULE 2 (less severe operating conditions), every 7,500 miles or 6 months,
    whichever comes first. Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions.
  • Options
    poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    If they recommended a change at 1k miles, I'd ask them to do this as a courtesy (free) and see what they say. Their answer will probably tell you their motivation.
  • Options
    22332233 Member Posts: 64
  • Options
    22332233 Member Posts: 64
    Does anyone have any reliable information about when the new body style of the G37 will be coming out?

The 2011 will be the 5th year on this generation. The previous one went from 03-06.

Dealers of course tell you that it could be 3 more years so you buy something now.
  • Options
    smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I suspect and hope we see a new body style for the 2012 model year which will be introduced most likely at the very end of 2011. Infiniti has been usually introducing new model year G in Nov and Dec of each year. That would make the 2G a 5 year cycle from 2007-2011. Here is to hoping!
  • Options
    billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Don't know that I am hoping for new body styles. I am not that impressed with Infiniti's recent model updates. I doubt they will improve on the current G37. May be best to leave well enough alone.
  • Options
    smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    well they have to update it at some point and if the essence concept is any indication of what direction they are going then I don't think you have much to worry about ;)
  • Options
    almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    My sentiments almost exactly: i had an 07 G35X, what a car !!. The G37X with this freakin aweful 7 spd Auto tranny has left me disgusted. I've posted elsewhere (there is a thread about the G37 Transmission), it is "better" after 3k miles on the car, but far from what it should be !! I just drove a Ford Fusion - compnay car - for two days, No...it's not a G37, but the 6 speed auto tranny performed with much much less jerkyness, and gear hunting exhibited in our Cars. Even with a 2.5L 4 cyl. engine [which was pretty spunky for the weight of this car} [it's the Mazda 2.5L engine], the Fusion hits it's intended mark: good communter car, roomy, very well balanced, thet American road feel which exhibited very good road manners. Come On Infiniti: Let's Get With The Program (excuse the Pun), re-program these Drivetrains to perform like old. Then you will have Happy Customers. Dopn't worry about the MPGs.......