Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    do not panic. none of those are problems. all Jettas do it. the buzz is some sort of fuel thingy turning on. be thankful it turns off - part of the alarm/theft deterrant system i believe.

the fan is just cooling the engine.

the fuel tank/gauge is just part of the VW experience. welcome! and enjoy, hahaha.
  • Options
    sealelisealeli Member Posts: 2
    Karilyn -
    You were asking about the lemon law rules. My first recommendation would be to look on the net for the lemon law rules for your particular State. Also, you can probably get information and possibly file complaints with your State Attorney's office.
    After contacting the BBB, VW corporate, and an attorney I sent certified letters - copy to all to the corporate office. I got immediate and favorable (so far) written responses from VW and the BBB has also been in contact with me and is following the case. I don't know if my car is worse than others though, my check engine light came on literally twice a month, for months on end.
    I have to say I find it interesting that so many have this ignition coil problem, that's the one thing that has not been replaced. However they did replace all the spark plugs once in addition to all the other things on my list. Now I have knock sensors that need replacement (again the cute little orange light on the dash).
    If you are still having problems with your vehicle I would strongly suggest pursuing action, if nothing else you can see what type of response you get.
    Regarding your question about mileage, they will deduct for some of it. But after receiving a buy back offer (don't feel comfortable with discussion of the details) I did not find their buy back terms unfair and agreed to VW's initial offer.
    Oh, one more thing, the shaking. My dealer after replacing the turbo took the whole unit off and resealed all the o-rings underneath it. Apparently oil was seeping through because of a bad seal. This has eliminated some of cold engine/bad gas mix problems I was experiencing on a cold engine. You may want to discuss that with your dealer and see if they will check that out for you.
    Best of luck too you and keep me posted!
  • Options
    kellankellan Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys,
    I just recently bought a 96 Jetta GL for my first car. And for about a week or so now, I've been having problems with my thermostat. It constantly blinks even when the car isn't overheated. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this an electrical problem that can be fixed?
    Thanks,
    Kellan
  • Options
    liguor60liguor60 Member Posts: 9
    I own a '99 New Jetta. I Love this car! 129,000 miles and still going strong. One thing, though. My speedometer now craps out when I hit speeds around 65-70 mph. It doesn't totally die, but simply fluctuates back and forth between 60 and 70, depending on the bumps I hit on the road.
    I thought maybe it was the speedometer, but when I turned on the cruise control, my car was accelerating, then decelerating...as if trying to follow the fluctuating speedometer. Anyone know what would cause this? Transmission speed sensor, perhaps?
    Any advice is gratefully appreciated.
  • Options
    is this a NEW Jetta, or Gen III? I know GEN III jettas always had speedo issues...
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    "New" Jetta refers to MKIV. 1999.5-current years.
  • Options
    thanks, i guess.

i personally owned a 1999 New Jetta. no 1999.5 about it anywhere on the sticker or the owners manual. silly. it was simply called New Jetta.

this guy/girl did not say if his 99 was "New" or not...
  • Options
    liguor60liguor60 Member Posts: 9
    I don't know if it is a Gen III or not. I bought the car new in the fall of 99. It was simply called the 'New Jetta'. That's all I knew about the name of is, no other details.

Just wish i knew what caused this speedometer problem.
  • Options
    there ya go! yours is the first time i have heard of a "New" Jetta having speedo problems.

i must say, on the side, CONGRATS for being over 100k miles! i am glad to hear that the New Jetta's do not spontaneously combust at 80k miles like i had suspected.

sorry i can't be of more help with your problem though.
  • Options
    touaregertouareger Member Posts: 4
    I own a Jetta VR6 and would like someone to fill me in on this coil problem? I am not as car savy. Please fill me in
  • Options
    wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    i had that same issue with my 1997 jetta few months back. it turned out that i had a leaky coolant flange. mine happened around 60K miles. the mechanic said that's about the time they crap out. i took it to a reputable independent shop that specializes in volkswagens and had it fixed. it was around a $50 repair. maybe not even that much, i don't remember... i would take it pronto. you don't want to be losing coolant...
  • Options
    kellankellan Member Posts: 9
    I said this in the other discussion as well, but thanks again!
  • Options
    00na00na Member Posts: 1
    cpuerta,
    I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2000 Jetta GLX. Ignition coil pack went two months ago. I had to pay $600 out of pocket to fix it. Aurgh! For anyone interested, here is a link to an article about the problem: http://www.boston.com/cars/news/020503_audi.html
    I suggest any other 2000 Jetta GLX owners with this problem call VW at 800-822-8987 and give them an earful. That's what I plan on doing.
  • Options
    balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    01 GLS 1.8t 5sp w/26.5k miles. No sign of a coil issue at this time. I feel good knowing I am packing a letter for any future problem. I would not even have them change anything unless I exhibit a failure. One time I did have a fouled spark plug which was from 2 misstarts by my fault foot slipping off the clutch while cranking. Symptoms were very similar to coil malfunction symptoms as I have read here. I don't even know which Letter Coils I have... Car came out of PUEBLA OCT/NOV 2000 with the "AWW" engine code.
  • Options
    02jetta2002jetta20 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anybody in here who has a MkIV has gotten an alignment... if so, were the front wheels adjusted to the thrust line of the rear wheels or the vehicle center line? I know the rears aren't adjustable, but I've been having some trouble finding a place that can do a "four wheel alignment" on my car. My fronts have been aligned but I still have a crooked steering wheel and some pulling to the right. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    verduganverdugan Member Posts: 7
    I was out of town, and was just able to read your replies. Thank you for all the suggestions. Wish me luck :-)
  • Options
    I haven't had one yet, but I will need one soon. I have a little tiny pull in the front when going straight.

You can get a 4-wheel alignment pretty much anywhere now. If you got an alignment already and it's still pulling, take it back to where you got it.

Also, I think the alignment is covered for 12 months/12K miles through VW (in the "adjustments" part of the warranty). Worth a shot to check.
  • Options
    02jetta2002jetta20 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input. I swapped the two front wheels with each other, and now the car stays straight... but the problem with the crooked steering wheel is still there. After working on it for a while, the shop couldn't get the steering wheel straight. They said they need to contact VW to make sure the specs from their computer were correct. If the specs match, then they said they didn't know what else they could do... I guess I'll find out Thursday.

Oh, I've got 30K miles on the car, so I don't think it's covered under anything.
  • Options
    You might want to see if the steering wheel was put on a little bit crooked by accident. I had a problem with the alignment in my 01 Protege (or so I thought). Turns out, the steering wheel was mounted just a little tiny bit crooked at the factory.
  • Options
    afordanafordan Member Posts: 5
    All,

I have a 2-month old 2003 VW Jetta w/ AT that won't switch out of park! I called Roadside Assistance and they told me to try two things, neither of which worked. First, they had me slam hard on the brakes. No go.. gear lever was still locked in park.

Second, they had me turn the key one click forward (no dash lights), then slam brakes, then switch between neutral and drive, then start car. I tried this, but the gear lever remained lock so I couldn't switch it out of Park.

At the moment, I'm at my office waiting for Roadside Assistance. Any suggestions....

Thanks..
  • Options
    cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    Al,
    The first thing that came to mind was maybe your Jetta was slightly bumped in the parking lot forcing the trany to lock-up in some way. Especially, if you drove it to work and now is not working. Some force had to happen to lock it up. When you parked it, did the trans make any noise? I also have a 2 month old 2003 Jetta 1.8T with Triptonic trans. Does the key go all the way in and up to the front? If it does go full forward and by pressing the brake and still no go, there my be a problem with the chip in the key.
    Just another thought, maybe the alarm system may be at fault causing the immobilizer system to activate.
    Those are my thoughts...GOOD LUCK. Let us know what the problem is. :-c
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Does the automatic have a shift lock override switch somewhere?
  • Options
    I just checked my owner's manual and couldn't find anything about an override shift. Still checking, though. Hang in there, this forum will find a solution somewhere.
  • Options
    Turn the key on like they said before the dash lights, but DO NOT apply the brakes. Shift the car into N, then try starting it from there.

It's your brake switch that's messed up. Easy, free (since you're under warranty) fix.
  • Options
    How did you get so smart? Would you like to meet my daughter? Just kidding!!! :-))) Seriously, how do you know so much about cars?
    I hope Al makes it home and have his Jetta fixed. I hope he let's us know what the problem was.
  • Options
    huchrishuchris Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 'loaded' 2003 GLS 1.8T jetta wagon. After driving it for about a month, I started having these weird intermittent electrical problems.

A variety of things would happen: trunk would partially release and not catch up reclosing, windshield wipers would start by themselves, power seats did not move, and clock would reset. This would happen for a while until I got the trunk to close properly (sometimes, it once took up to 10 tries).

I took the car back to the dealer and they couldn't get it to happen. They clears some faults from the computer and gave it back to me. Only a week later, it's happening again.

Anyone have similar problems?

BTW, this message was also posted on the VW Jetta Station Wagon Board.
  • Options
    I have been into cars since age 3. I thought about becoming an auto mechanic, but I don't know if I want to do that for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    I called my dealership to see if I could go in and get my remaining 3 coils replaced, because I am off of work this coming Monday. The advisor basically told me that I have to wait until they fail before they will be replaced. I thought this policy changed?

I also read the VW press release on their site, and it said they are going to START proactive replacements soon, but it doesn't give a date.
  • Options
    I bet you are still in the infant car seat. ;-)))
    I have a problem, not with my Jetta yet, I can't wait until I put more miles on it. All the answers are on this forum.
    OK smart guy, here's my question: I use Windows 98 and when I hit the minimize button the site, has in the past, went down to the task bar which keeps the site open, but now it vanishes closing the site. You need to know that I'm very good at causing damage on the PC, because I don't know what I'm doing. Going to places were I shouldn't go. How do I fix this problem?
    Isn't this fun? :-)
  • Options
    gtahobegtahobe Member Posts: 42
    Same thing happened to my sister-in-laws '99 Jetta several times. I had to go get her on one of the occasions. One of the most recent things they've replaced was the brake switch interlock and some other item that I don't recall.

This problem also happend once in neutral. She had to get to work the next day (medical doctor, almost always on call) and left the car in neutral. Next morning she had the same problem (except in neutral) and was unable to get the car out of neutral. She's luck we work within two mile of each other :)

Sorry, but I don't know what they change out the first time or two.
  • Options
    That's it! Brake switch interlock. That's the problem with the car sticking in gear. Have seen that posted in here a couple of times.
  • Options
    I run Windows 98 as well, and when I minimize it's fine. Can you see other programs on the task bar when you minimize them? If not, then you might have "hidden" your task bar by accident. That's the only thing I can think of.
  • Options
    I saw a link on the Passat board from Automotive News that basically said VW will start proactively replacing coils in March when their supplies are ramped up.

Also, the VW dealer network (or whatever it's called) is pushing for a $1000 off special on your next VW if your current car is affected. They haven't guaranteed it yet though.

I know VW will lose alot of customers over this, one of them more than likely being myself.
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Volkswagen/Audi in Massive Recall

More than 850,000 Volkswagen and Audi vehicles --
    about 530,000 sedans and hatchbacks sold in the
    U.S. alone -- are being recalled for a faulty
    ignition coil. Volkswagen announced the recall last
    week, noting that the problem could cause spark
    plug failure and rough running, which is usually
    indicated by the vehicle's "Check Engine" light.
    Most of the cars affected carry the VW corporate
    1.8-liter turbo four (which includes the Audi A4
    and TT coupe; the VW Golf, GTI, Jetta, New Beetle
    and Passat), the 2.8-liter VR6 and the 3.0-liter
    V6 engines, as well as the VW Passat's W8.
  • Options
    At the bottom left side of the task bar has all the small icons for: Task Scheduler, AOL Connection Enabled, Mouse, Game Controller Software, Volume, VShield, etc. Let's say I'm working in Excel and want to minimize it to go somewhere else, in the past, Excel would drop to the bottom to be activated later with a single stroke. But now it will close and makes me go back to the desk top to open it again.
    Also, all text on a page is super big, like looking through a magnifying glass. Example, when reading the discussions. It's easy reading, but I'm not that old yet.
    Thank you very much,
    Cards28

If you want, just send me an email instead of taking up space here. My address s/b on my profile page.
  • Options
    afordanafordan Member Posts: 5
    vocus...

He correctly diagnosed the problem as being the brake switch. Just had it replaced at the dealer. I asked him if this was common failure and he said yes. I then asked him if it was common to fail after only 2 months! He said no, that it was a premature failure.

Side note. After waiting an hour for the tow truck. I decided to try it again and lo and behold it shifted out of park. So... I drove it to the dealership myself. Good thing too because the tow truck guy didn't have enough room to maneuver in the parking lot anyway.
  • Options
    flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    Just had my rear brakes replaced at 23k miles. First a new transmission at 21k miles - now back brakes - i wonder what else is in store for me? I was told Jetta's back breaks wear out early. Dealership replacing under warranty!
  • Options
    Premature rear brake wear is yet another common problem for the MKIV (1999.5+) models. So that's added to:

* window regulators
    * park switch
    * coils (on 1.8T models)
    * peeling interior trim (on some models)
    * oil consumption issues (on 2.0s)
    * peeling wheel faces (some alloy wheels)
    * O2 sensor (this might have been fixed by now)

This list seems to grow more and more as time goes on...
  • Options
    Ok. Let's setup a recognition award; going to the person who comes up with a solution to a problem that appears on this forum.
    I'm thinking of something like, ISN'T THIS FUN AWARD. I mean that, this is fun, right??? :-(((
    Alfred Fordan submitted a problem yesterday anxiously looking for help to a problem he had with his 2003 Jetta tranny. There were many entries. Al just messaged that Vocus had the right solution. So, the first recipient of the Award is, none other than, MR VOCUS. He has demonstrated through out this forum with his knowledge of timely and accurately solving of many problems. Let's give it up to the "Man".;-)
  • Options
    20jetta0220jetta02 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks again. I think the wheel was on straight b/c that was the first time in 30K miles that my alignment went out. At any rate, the shop I was going to decided they were unable to align the car, suggested I go to the VW dealer to get it done, and they are going to reimburse me for that. I was surprised and impressed at his offer to reimburse me. So it's at the dealer now, and this will hopefully put an end to my alignment probs.

New topic... cold starting. I've noticed in cold starting that

a) the shifter really, really hates to go into gear (manual)

b) there is a loose rattling noise the first few times I start moving.

It's been a rather cold winter this year, so I've begun to notice these things. I don't think they are that big of a deal, but I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced them?
  • Options
    Never heard of the loose rattling, but my 1.8T has a diesel-ish sound when starting cold. I have automatic, so can't tell you anything about the stick shift. I have heard that gear oil takes time to warm up, so that's probably what's causing your 'stiff' shifting when cold. You may try changing the gear oil and putting something synthetic in.

If the cold starting becomes too much of a problem, I would suggest an engine block heater. I would also talk to the dealer about your rattle though, that doesn't sound natural. Leave the car overnight with the dealer, come and start it in the morning while they listen. That'll be the only way they will catch it.

Glad they fixed up the alignment problem for you. It scares me to hear that you had to go to the dealer though, as I am about to get my first alignment on my VW and don't wanna pay dealer prices (I saw $89)for it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the accolades. :)

I see you're getting it down how to use the bold typing. I've been on Town Hall for almost 3 yrs., and still don't know how to do that.. :(
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (mishima8105) You have your priories... others have their own priorities.

To me (and MANY others) reliability=boring... we desire more out of a vehicle than just megar transportation. An occasional 'glitch' is just part of the ownership experience. For the price, the driving-experience, quality-materials and other qualities found ONLY in a German road car make the Jetta quite desirable.

There is Honda, Toyota and Nissan that meet the 'booring' criteria quite well. (Which,BTW are Acura, Lexus and Infiniti )

It sounds as if your dealer is a bonehead.... The on-board computer stores all failure codes and they should be able to tell you SOMETHING about the CEL coming on. (you didn't leave your gascap loose...did you?)
  • Options
    r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    I've had a 90 Corrado (and Sciroccos before it); 95 and 96 Jettas; 99 and 00 New Beetles; 98 and 01.5 Passats. They all rattle. And squeak. And creak. And groan. And snap, crackle and pop. 'Specially in cold weather. Tired of it now, and looking elsewhere.
  • Options
    20jetta0220jetta02 Member Posts: 6
    Got the car back from the dealer and it is now perfectly aligned... and they are only charging $69 for it, so the price is pretty comparable to those other places that couldn't get the alignment right the first and second times.

I've been looking on other forums and it seems that a lot of people experience cold start shifting probs... and I also found out that the stock transmission fluid is synthetic, but thanks for the suggestion.

Now a question about interior care... what do you use to clean your dash? I noticed that the dash has somewhat of a matte finish, so I wasn't sure about using the ultra shiny cleaning products. Any recommendations? Also, have you ever noticed in the summer that the inside of your windows get scummed up very quickly? I noticed they get a bit foggy, like they need to be defrosted or something, and I need to clean them pretty often.
  • Options
    northern_sagenorthern_sage Member Posts: 2
    somebody was mentioning about odd electrical glitches earlier on...My '86 Westfalia used to stall out on one set of highway..misfiring, poor power etc.the dealer went mad trying to find out the probem. The short story: I was betweeen two microwave towers which created a signal that screwed up the engine computer ship for a short distance!! Apparently common, especially with using certain cellphone types in 90 VWs. Your dealer wil never solve this one..so be aware yourself!
  • Options
    jjinglesjjingles Member Posts: 2
    A friend of mine recently purchased a 2003 Jetta; the car in cold weather will not start. The dealer can't fix or offer any kind of reasonable explanation as to why this is happening and have been unable to fix the problem. I was wondering if anyone here has had similar difficulties with their Jetta?
  • Options
    groulxgroulx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 tdi diesel jeta and just recently went north to cochrane ontario canada, the temp. was 35f below 0 and the jeta was not pluged in and it started right away. If your driving in wheather that cold make shure to add deisel aditive to your fuel,because the fuel thickens at that temp. and wo,nt flow and you,ll find yourself along the rd. I have 5oks on car and no problems yet
  • Options
    huchrishuchris Member Posts: 2
    Well, I took my car (03 jetta wagon GLS 1.8T) in again with the strange electrical problems (windshield wipers turnning on by themselves, trunk releasing). This time they think the problem was a faulty ground in the steering column.

Cross my fingers... I hope the fix solved the problem.
  • Options
    I just use a damp cloth with warm water to clean my dash top. Don't use Armor All, I was told by a dealer that it will ruin the finish of the dash.

I noticed the window thing as well. Do you smoke in your car? Maybe that could be it. I don't know though, since I don't smoke in mine and it does it. I also have leather seats, do you? Maybe something to do with the leather and heat...